• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
IV Res Militaries ut Res Publica: Military and Government in Italy

Res Militaries

During the 1930's the Italian military became ever more Romanised, while retaining the doctrine of 'War of Manoeuvre' laid down by Wolfe and taught at the Wolfe Military Academy in Roma. Leading figures in the army from the academy saw the logical applications of the ancient Roman system in modern warfare, but decided that the formations would have to be enlarged. Under the Gaius Marius laws of 1931 the formation of the military was laid down. The Legio (Legion) gave its name to a formation approximately Corps sized, as opposed to the division sized formation of ancient Rome. Each Legio would be made up of the traditional ten Cohors (Cohorts) roughly being the size of a US division. The Cohors would be made from three Maniple (Company size) which would themselves be made of 10 Centuria (a double platoon) of eight men squads of Contubernium (squad size). It was quickly decided that a Cohors could not be only infantry in the modern age and so they were designated as Legionary Cohors (infantry), Ala Cohors (Cavalry and scouting troops) and Lorica squamata Cohors (armour). Further troops would be added to each Cohors in the form of a Auxiliary (Brigade) normally a pilum (an artillery brigade later including rocket, anti tank and anti aircraft in both static and self propelled varieties), fabratii (engineers), equities (normally armoured cars for reconnaissance) or evocatii (re-enlisted or specially trained veterans). While the army was widely reformed the air-force and navy were left organised as they were although given Latin titles.

A Roman Aquila (Dove sized Eagle) taken into battle by every Legion​

Res Publica

The government of Italy was also becoming increasingly 'Romanised', although it had been loosely based upon the ancient Republic in the first place. Governance was dominated the Concilium Plebis (Council of the People) which was elected by universal suffrage of all Italian citizens. This 'parliament' held the power in Italy and made the country a representative democracy. The senate which held two thousand representatives of the Patrician families acted as a recommendation body on legislation and legal measures but was not a legislature. Each position in government was split between two men one from the Senate and one from the Concilium. The posts were divided into firstly the Consuls who acted as Head of the Government and Foreign minister, Tribunes who looked after home affairs, Quaestors were charged with the treasury and Censors who dealt with matters of both internal and external intelligence. The Head of State or Romulus was a none-elected position given to the line of Julio-Claudian dynasty, in effect making Italy a Constitutional Monarchy like that of Britain, although they shyed away from the title of King due to the increasing Romanisation.

Nice set of updates, interesting to see the Hapsburgs return to power in Vienna, so I guess we have Austria very interested in expanding in the Balkans? Also nice to see Italy turn more and more Roman, this seems good for the future :)

wow...10 divisions corp....so a new austrian empire has arised from the ashes with help from roma and hates the us...huh

V Ars locus: Strategic Assessments

January was a hectic month in the centre of Europe as tensions continued to rise, violence and disorder spread across the Balkans like wild fire, the 'Hungarian' terrorists in Yugoslavia had been doing much to create a large slice of territory the was uncontrollable especially in the area to the north of the capital Belgrade. Tensions between the 'Northern powers' of Italy, Germany and Austria and the 'Balkan powers' of Yugoslavia, Greece and Turkey had almost collapsed the year before when the Balkan powers concluded a treaty of defensive alignment, which basically meant that if one was attacked by two powers they would help defend the others. There were further problems between Bulgaria and her neighbour Romania over the province of Constanta, which from time to time caused skirmished between the border guards of the two nations, however up to this point mediation had always lead to a peaceful end to the situation.

Lanza and Imperator Graziani looked upon the situation in central Europe with unease but with a sense that the tensions of the area could be brought to a conclusion that would ultimately benefit Italy and her people. Italy had broadly four long term objectives in 1936 that had been carried over from the ambitions of the city state of Milano a hundred years earlies. The first was to have an ally strong enough and loyal enough to be relied upon to the east and north, secondly was the re acquisition of former Italian lands of the Illyrian Coast which had been lost to the Austrian Empire along with Venice and the Piedmont region now occupied by France. The final two objectives were control of the Mediterranean sea and an expansion of her African colonies. Both the Consul and Imperator knew that Piedmont, Africa and the Mediterranean would mean war with the powerful British Empire and the largest army in the world, that of France. They, therefore, saw a war with the powerful alliance as inevitable but knew that Italy must first become powerful and secure her eastern and northern borders. To this effect Italy had signed an alliance with Austria just one month before, with the Hapsburg's looking to re-establish an Empire and Italy looking to expand it was an alliance of Realpolitik. Lanza had been one of the few Italians that saw the Balkan powers 'alliance' as a positive move, he gambled upon the fact that although the three nations had superior numbers, Italy had much better trained and organised troops as well as a clear advantage at sea. With tensions rising further and further Karl I of Austria called upon Germany and Italy to come to Vienna to discus the future of the region.

The hotly disputed province of Constanta​

Congress of Vienna

Officially the Congress of Vienna was a meeting to discus how the northern power bloc could further cooperation between all of the central European powers to bring an end to the violence and anarchy in the region, as such it was welcomed by Britain's Prime Minister Baldwin among others. The actual discussion's were about the future of the three nations and their interests in the region, at the congress broad agreements were made to reshape the map of Europe and cement their places within it. German Chancellor von Schleicher like Lanza saw war with the 'Allies' as inevitable if Germany was to fulfil it's aim of domination of Europe and to win back the lands given up at Versailles. Karl was in the strange position that his aims did not mean a war with Britain and France but he would have to support the others in this aim if he wanted cooperation in his aim of reunifying the once mighty Hapsburg Empire. In the end a number of treaties were drawn and agreed upon that would plan out the future of Europe and would take course over the next ten years.

Treaty of Vienna

This first treaty set out the borders of the new Austrian Empire and how the process of unification would be brought about. It was decided that in February the Austrian army with support of the Legions of Italy would cross the border into Hungary at the request of 'the people' to liberate them from the oppressive and totalitarian regime and to safe guard the nation of Yugoslavia from terrorist attacks from over the border and all the lands of Hungary would be absorbed into Austria. Over the next six months the attacks on the Slavic nation would increase and it would 'become clear' that these acts were not being perpetrated by Hungarian's but by the Yugoslavia's own government. With the people enraged and the attacks spilling over the border from the Novi Sad and Zrenjanin regions into Hungary, troops from Italy and Austria would cross the border to stop attacks on their own countries. It was calculated that this would cause a deceleration of war from the government in Belgrade, Athens and Istanbul. Italy would protest to the League of Nations that she was being unfairly attacked by Greece and Turkey for safeguarding her and her allies border, it was hoped that this would be enough to keep the western powers out of the war. Italy would gain back the Illyrian Coast, while Austria would control the rest of the region. The Italian army could then move down through Albania to occupy Greece and Istanbul. During this time Germany would officially be neutral while overtly offering support to the two countries as it was felt that Germany was in a too weak a position diplomatically.

Karl of Austria (left) one of the Architechs of the Congress here shown with Wilhem III​

Treaty of Berlin

The second treaty called for diplomatic moves to secure the Sudeten areas of Czechoslovakia and the City of Danzig from Poland. It was hoped that by 1941 the tensions of the area would have subdued enough for an ultimatum to be sent to the Czechoslovakian government to surrender Slovakia to Austria and sovereignty to Germany. The treaty also stipulated that the Rhineland would be re-occupied in January and that Berlin would build up it's forces for a possible war with France and maybe even Britain in around ten years time.

Franz von Papen Germanys delegate​

Treaty of Rome

The last treaty was more of a long term plan with the stipulation that Italy would increase the size of her navy to off balance Britain while Germany would look to challenge France in terms of land forces. There were also several measure that looked to economic and military cooperation in trade deals and the swapping of Blueprints. The main goal was to secure a decisive defeat upon the French to push them into a second rate power, it was hoped that once the Mediterranean was secure , Britain's fleet in a perilous position and France routed that the Empire would come to an agreement and look away from Europe to the rest of its Empire. The last clause in the treaty was that the communist country of the USSR should have it's ability to threaten Europe totally destroyed by 1956.

Mussolini, here being given the traditional Roman Salute, his death in March was to change the time table of Vienna​

Interesting set of treaties, so you starting a war against Yugoslavia and Hungary together with Austria? Nice work aiding them in the re-creating of their Empire. I wonder how long it will take till the western powers decide to act against these acts…

lifeless said:
is the mod going to be available?

Yes and very soon, just a coupple of things to sort out first;

Proper chain of events for ITA to become the New Republic

Proper chain of events for AUS to become Austrian Empire, basicaly need to wirte events to start wars etc...

Flavor/Game events for the new Republic and Austria

Names of Italian units (not hard but long, tedious and boring)

The it should be ready for play testing, if your interested send me a PM (that goes for anybody who's interested)

Sir Clive

this looks really promising. i'm liking the alternate story, better than the usual "kaiser happens to come back to power" with the while austria and italy thang

are you gonna play to 1956?

Great project you are embarking on. The lay down of history on all the countries involved has been a very well documented read so far. Only doubts so far as to the economical structure of such a state. It seems to me this highly senatized state might have difficulty with Industrial reforms. But that was just a small spin i had whilst reading.

Eager to read more!

To All: The next instalment shall be a little delayed as I am having to re-write my other AAR as the orignial files were deleted, but I should be able to get something up tonight or tomorrow.

cuchulain: Well thank your sir, I'm going to play to the death (as I have the no time limit patch on it goes to 2200) but I suspect that it will be fast and furious (as thats they way I play) so I migh get to 1956 but I'll probably be an exiled Emperor by then :D

Jape: Hey! Il Duce! is way cool! and shows that you can have Fascism without trying to take over the world ;)

Oranje Verzet: My good sir, such words from an estemed gentleman such as yourslef is very welcome, and congrats upon your awAARd of Writer of the Week. As to your point, yes the 'senatized state' wil have such problems and it will cause a monumentous event in the not so distant future, Italia actually had it's industrial revolution under a different regime between 1836 and 1886 largley since the 1890's it has become more and more 'democratised' and formed into the government that I have described, I would go into further detail but the pre-1936 stuff will all be in the Viki instalment which will be a prequal and as for the future I realy don't want to give too much away ;)

Thank you for your thourght provoking reply, it's nice to see that people are not just reading the AAR but thinking about it also.

SirCliveWolfe said:
... I would go into further detail but the pre-1936 stuff will all be in the Viki instalment which will be a prequal and as for the future I realy don't want to give too much away ;)
That sounds fair enough, still I am very curious how this 'pre-1936 stuff' will develop. So you are going to play Hoi2 first and then Vicky, plus even EU2 before that? THat is quite the opposite route, wonder how you can make that work if that is the case.

This is just me taking a long spin to ask for an update ;), just a small bump if you will.

Brave Wolfey, very brave. Those prequels are going to be difficult. Still it's a different way to play Victoria:

"I have to end up with roughly this much money/resources, this much territory and this goverment type by a certain date. Ohh and I have to make sure the rest of the world is arranged a certain way as well."

A challenging objective to be sure, still best of luck with it. I feel you may need it!

Oranje Verzet: Well the Viki game has already been played..... which has left me with this, it was actualy quite odd and historical... I tried to convert the save file but I was left with lots of industry while everyone else hardly any at all.

So i decided that as the terrorities were pretty much historical it would be better to mod HOI2 instead.... balancing industrial stats some more (ie the UK is more powerful in this mod than vanilla). I must say that VIP on Viki keeps the game more historical with its colonisation bans and the all. :)

lifeless: The Senate demands an update!! :mad: well I never, that means it shall be the first to go when the Emperor comes!! :D

El Pip: As I have said it is written as a prequal rarther than played as one... EUII would be verry much more tricky, especially as I would have to loose it! :rofl:

And now I suppose I shall have to update to keep the Plebs (thats you guys ;) ) happy... :D

Everyone: Ok so a short update to start the new year with... enjoy.

lifeless: Yes the Imparator shall be watching you! :D

pkdickian: Thank you sir I can only hope you enjoy the next installment as much.

cuchulain: Well I hope you like it...

Carthade: Calm down my good man, here is an update ;)