• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(2456)

Pure Evil Genius
Mar 29, 2001
www.hero6.com
In response to something mentioned by Guinnessmonkey I think it would be a good idea to compose a list of fairly-easy-to-do requests for Johan and have someone propose them all.

Get rid of the trade efficiency penalties for AIs associated with TEs and TAs.

Get rid of those beta patch straits or make straits moddable.

Get rid of the never-ending vassal wars in the latest beta patch.

Make a desertion command for ships.

Make ToT sheilds moddable.

We are really going to need the ability to mod commodities in the future, or else the trade aspect of the engine will be a bit whacky, but that's a long term project and I doubt it could quickly be done.

Event commands for military access or trade agreements (breaking and making) would be useful.

The most useful however, would be a peace command.

a peace command. A functional breakdynasty command and breakalliance command. a working leader presence trigger. Just fix the commands and triggers that are available but don't work.

The golden command, IMO, would be something that could change the tag name that is displayed in the country and diplomacy screens. If there is some way to pull the country name defining portion of the text.csv file into the reach of an event command - oh man. I can picture the country name portion being given a seperate small event-accessible file, and an event command that writes over it.

I mean when a county tag is loaded up, the name of the country tag is read from somewhere - whether first from the text.csv on gameloadup to a secondary source, and then during the game, loaded from that secondary source; Or simply from text.csv right when the tag comes alive.

Whatever works, regardless, it would be excellent.

Last edited:
Well first off, from what i've gathered, every new command takes roughtly 1/2 hour for him to code up, depending on its complexity.

Triggers take slightly less time, but still roughly 1/2 hour.

Removing or slightly modifiying code, takes abotu 5-10 minutes.

Uncoupling hardcoded stuff, like straits requires a lot of work because he has to dsiable the old stuff, redo code for the new stuff and set it up to work seemlessly with new patches.

Upping or lowering the limits on stuff shouldn't take to long, about the same time as deleteing code.

Adding extra stuff, such as say tags or cultures doesn't take much time for 1 as its mostly duplicating code, but Johan really doesn't from what i gather like adding more unless its substantial amount. Adding new stuff like religions, which have some hard-coded stuff is a bit harder.

Last edited:
well, changing names would not take new tags. Just a seperate file I'd guess for the list of names, and a command that overwrites the text. Could maybe do it without overwriting, by having moddrers enter the alterntive names into the file before-hand, with a command that reads the alternative name...mmmmmmm...golden command...

Most important in context of our map-making mods:

-Moddable Holy Roman Empire: we need to be able to pick which tags are part of the HRE, and when the new provinces are added, they need to be part of the HRE too. With new countries, it'd be able to specify which are electors.

-Moddable straits: With new provinces, there's bound to be some new straits. Plus, some don't like the existing ones. Making it moddable will make everyone happy.

-Moddable ToT: Again, new provinces, we need to make ToT able to work with them. Best way is to make it moddable and let us specify which provinces are part of the ToT area.

-Moddable colony/colonist size: With the new provinces, they'll be impossible to colonize at the historical rate because it's impossible to send 10 colonists to so many provinces. Have the max number of colonists be moddable, or have the number of colonists required to form a city moddable. Like say I want to make a mod where 5 colonists is enough to start a city.

-Master/vassal alliances: they need to be able to call each other up on attack or defense regardless of whether or not they're in the same military alliance.

yuje said:
-Moddable colony/colonist size: With the new provinces, they'll be impossible to colonize at the historical rate because it's impossible to send 10 colonists to so many provinces. Have the max number of colonists be moddable, or have the number of colonists required to form a city moddable. Like say I want to make a mod where 5 colonists is enough to start a city.
I don't see why we would want to reduce the 1,000 pop limit. We humans cover the map with our colonies. We colonize at an ahistorical and unrealistic rate. IMO, more colonizeable provinces will balance the current imbalance as opposed to causing further imbalance. Though I'm not adamantly opposed to being able to mod this, I just doubt I'd use it.

idontlikeforms said:
I don't see why we would want to reduce the 1,000 pop limit. We humans cover the map with our colonies. We colonize at an ahistorical and unrealistic rate. IMO, more colonizeable provinces will balance the current imbalance as opposed to causing further imbalance. Though I'm not adamantly opposed to being able to mod this, I just doubt I'd use it.

Yhea... Let's actually do a few tests of the game with the new map before we assume that it bugs colonization. For all we know, a larger map might be the holy grail for actual historical colonization. ;)

Jinnai said:
In response to something mentioned by Guinnessmonkey I think it would be a good idea to compose a list of fairly-easy-to-do requests for Johan and have someone propose them all.
Excellent.

If I were y'all in general, I would focus on those problems that you know for sure are MAJOR issues (most of those above seem to fit). It certainly won't be something Johan will put aside his paid job for right away, but it might give him a bit of direction next time he sits down one Saturday to mess with EU2 stuff. :)

Other stuff, stuff you only *suspect* might need fixing after the new map is finished, should work later. After all, what if you're wrong? If he can only fix a few things it would be awful if one of the fixes had to later be removed.

Eventually it might even come down to asking him for a bit of direction, as frankly the main concern here is what will take up a ton of time... I'm no programmer, so I'm always suprised at what takes a ton of time and what is an easy quick fix. I always seem to guess those wrong. :) But if, for example (and this is just a hypothetical), event commands are easy, then focusing on them at first would be wise. :D

Guinnessmonkey said:
Eventually it might even come down to asking him for a bit of direction, as frankly the main concern here is what will take up a ton of time... I'm no programmer, so I'm always suprised at what takes a ton of time and what is an easy quick fix. I always seem to guess those wrong. :) But if, for example (and this is just a hypothetical), event commands are easy, then focusing on them at first would be wise. :D
Is he gone for the week? I heard he was...if no one objects, since i brought the issue up, i can be the ambassador for now. If we decide on someone else, well then I'll let one of the mods know.

This way you can pm him and let him know.

I do know that unhardcoding stuff does take a long time because your having to do multiple things

Though aside from deleting stuff and adding commands (both of which i seen referances of aproximate time quoted by MrT) i'm not 100% sure so i could ask.

Basically we should do is decide what we want the most. The more complex it is though, the less likely we are to get more stuff done though.

Anyway there were some things i personally would like to see.
  1. Atleast 1 new religion for deviding Buddhism into two
  2. Make the REB take work for the control = AAA trigger
  3. A trigger for whether province AAA is the capital of country BBB
  4. Upping the max amount of CoTs to 35
  5. A command to change the province good
  6. Extra province good slots
  7. A command to cause desertion of ships (or perhaps the desertion command could also target ships?)
  8. A peace command
  9. Upping population cap limit
  10. Adding two commands for adding/removing military access.
  11. The ability for technologies to actually slide backwards, not just reset to the bottom of whatever level they're on
There's more, but that's what i can think of offhand.

I know i won't get all of them listed, but even if a few are implimented it would be helpful.

But it'd be best to know how much time he'd allocate, whenever he does have time, to modifiying the engine to help us and how much time various changes take.

Last edited:
Jinnai said:
[*]A peace command

with value = xx years of truce that could work even if the country is not at war.

elector country status could be changed by events... (for historical elector)
a country = emperor target event... (not trigger, but target)

Make city names changeable by events for lots of flavour stuff (Peterburg)

It would be nice for non-Christian countries to only have a single slider for Christians.

It would be really cool if the narrowminded-innovative slider affected the amount of a penalty you took for different religions, or better yet, having the religious sliders affect it.

Jinnai said:
Extra province good slots
I think if we modders could get the ability to mod commodities, we could wind up modding for the rest of our lives. But Jinnai what would be the trade value modifiers with extra slots? He would have to make them moddable too and then that would make the current ones moddable as well. Obviously, now that new provinces can be added this is the single most wanted feature for modding. I'm suspiscious that this type of modding feature could take a long time to script though. I mean he'd have to add quite a bit to make us able to add/delete each effect. There are quite a few you know. Perhaps you should definitely add this one to the list, but point out that you/we all realize that it may take awhile and let him know that we're content with this one as a long term goal. I'd hate to have him think the whole list will just take too long on account of this one.

chegitz guevara said:
It would be nice for non-Christian countries to only have a single slider for Christians.

It would be really cool if the narrowminded-innovative slider affected the amount of a penalty you took for different religions, or better yet, having the religious sliders affect it.

That would be one of the best changes we could posibly have...

Imagine the possibilities for the OE....

I'm trying to think of situations where this change would be bad, but I can't think of any. :)

@almoravid: Ain't gonna happen. Just doesn't fit with the way the filestructure works in EU2.

Jinnai said:
Is he gone for the week? I heard he was...
I don't think so... I just meant that during most weekdays he's workin' on the games Paradox pays him to work on. His EU2 work tends to be on his own time, because he is a badass who loves us. :)
Jinnai said:
if no one objects, since i brought the issue up, i can be the ambassador for now. If we decide on someone else, well then I'll let one of the mods know.
Sounds good to me. He who takes the initiative. :)

Though, of course, the actual list sent should be one agreed to here, not one that you chose... With great power... ;) :)
Jinnai said:
This way you can pm him and let him know.
Will do... PM me whenever there's a official list to send.... I might have wandered away from this thread by then. :)

*has thread ADD* ;)

yuje said:
With new countries, it'd be able to specify which are electors.

This is moddable in country.csv.

yuje said:
-Moddable Holy Roman Empire: we need to be able to pick which tags are part of the HRE, and when the new provinces are added, they need to be part of the HRE too. With new countries, it'd be able to specify which are electors.
-Moddable ToT: Again, new provinces, we need to make ToT able to work with them. Best way is to make it moddable and let us specify which provinces are part of the ToT area.
These two are, in fact, the two most important changes that we should request, simply because otherwise we would not be able to add any provinces to the HRE, Africa, India, Indonesia, Southeast Asia, South America and Mesoamerica - of which the first five are among the areas that need map changes most -, unless we'd accept HRE military access and the ToT being to some extent dysfunctional.
Being able to mod it freely would be perfect and allow us to correct a few historical errors like Provence and Dauphiné not being part of the HRE and to use the ToT as a tool for controlling AI behaviour, however that would be quite a massive change - not only does the hardcoded stuff need to be removed, Johan would also have to either create new data files where this can be changed or add new columns to province.csv. Therefore, as an alternative if he refuses to do that, it would already be good if a certain number of the new province ids could be hardcoded to be HRE or Spanish and Portuguese ToT provinces - but again, especially for other mods, ability to mod freely would be really awesome.