• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

paul5331

Recruit
62 Badges
Jul 5, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
Hello All

I have just retired from work so I have plenty of time on my hands and I am thinking of reinstalling SOTS 2 after about a year maybe more. I purchased the game on release and was put off for obvious reasons. What piqued my interest was watching the three tutorial videos and glancing at the new Beginners manual. So please your thoughts if its worth the effort I will give it a go.

I've played several games in the last 4 months or so. The first play after I bought the game didn't get far due to a near game-breaking error for Sol. I don't know how long that bug had existed, but it lasted about a week before it was fixed. The game was playable, but frustrating. After that I had a decent play-through but the previous fix broke fleet movement in some situations. There was a workaround, but a hasty fleet movement might result in a CTD. That was fixed after a week or so as well. The last play-through was smooth until I reached turn 150ish. It was a large galaxy and I started to get CTD for no reason I could determine after 2-3 turns. I was losing interest in that game anyway, so it wasn't the end of the world. That was 1.5mo ago and I was just checking these forums to see what some of the recent updates have been.

Bottom line is the game is playable now. I have 100 or so hours played on Steam and while maybe 15 or so of that was wasted on games that failed due to bugs, I overall invested a lot of hours that were very fulfilling. I'd avoid huge maps with 6+ races as well. When you run into issues, check the forums. If you are patient, they fix major bugs pretty fast and there is often a work around for minor ones. This isn't ideal game-play but the core game is worth a bit of headache in my opinion.

The game is definitely workable and can be fun, though there may be some serious bugs for some races and the AI may fail to impress (for some races more than others). I'd note that there hasn't been a patch in a bit now...I'm not sure why or what Kerberos is up to. Hopefully they're planning on more and just have them queued behind SOTS: The Pit: Mind Games or something.

I wouldn't waste your cash. They never finished the 1st version, haven't finished the 2nd version. There still are not any scenarios. The AI pretty much stinks. I still run into game crashing bugs. They haven't released a patch in months and the performance is crap. I went back to playing the 1st one, a much better game.

I've played a game just a week ago. I was waiting green light for months, then decided to give it a try. I must say that i'm impressed, game is more than just "playable" for my thinking. New techs and Loa are a good addition too. With 5 player map, it didnt take too much time for turn times. I mean some people said that they go to coffee breaks :) In turn 250ish it did take 1 min which is not good but not so bad. Btw I have a nice computer (have a ssd too). Ai isnt that much dump, that little sheep destroyed my colonies time to time :) and Ai used new technologies. The game isnt challenging as Sots1 but i would say that give it a try. Personally i enjoyed very much.

Last edited:
This seemed a thing to mention here. There's recent chatter on the Kerberos from the people who (by some means I've not looked into) are beta-testing the next patch suggesting that it may significantly improve the AI's ability to field nastily effective warships.

This seemed a thing to mention here. There's recent chatter on the Kerberos from the people who (by some means I've not looked into) are beta-testing the next patch suggesting that it may significantly improve the AI's ability to field nastily effective warships.

Sounds like I will have to give this another try now! :)