• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Giampolo smiled slightly,

“Your grace, we share a border with Genoa, to completely stall trade would be not only impractical, it would also be virtually impossible, however, I can assure that no treaty of military kind will be made while allied to the Serene republic, and that no trade agreement between Savoy and Genoa will grant them better terms than those granted Venice.”

Jacopo looked at his counterpart sternly as the stand was made and the Venetian without casting his eyes away from Giampolo's thought for a second. Finally he answered with a note of respect in his voice.

"You do well to make a stand here, I feel that the most Serene Republic, and myself can agree to a deal based upon what we have discussed here."

Foscari raised his hands quickly and clapped them with a decided vigour. Shortly a servant was present and upon instruction from the lord he left and after a brief moment returned with some parchment and ink.

"Noble sir, as it was you who called upon Venice I would ask that you please draw up a proposal that I may submit it to the Doge for approval."

The haughty nobleman sipped again from his wine this time savoring a large quaff from his glass. As he waited for the draft to be completed he looked disinterestedly about the shadowy room.

The Italian messenger entered the room, and, without waiting for court etiquette, approached the Doge (before the guards could reach him) and handed him a letter:

Charles III d’Anjou, by the grace of God, King of Naples and Jerusalem, Prince of Durazzo and Achaea, Duke of Apulia and Calabria, et cetera, to Antonio Veniero, Doge of the Most Serene Republic of Venice, greetings.

First and foremost, I pray that you forgive me for my absence from affairs of state. However, I assure you that I am now restored to full health and am back to my normal self.

I write merely to confirm our former friendship. I ask that we might set it back down in writing, in a new alliance and trading agreement, in a way advantageous and pleasing to both Venice and Naples. It has come to my knowledge that our most beloved Doge, and his sons, remained unwed, and it would be to our greatest pleasure to bestow one of our most royal nieces upon one of the worthy Veniero house.

By his own hand,
Charles III, by the Grace of God, King of Naples, et cetera.

Last edited:
A man dressed in the robes of the Franciscan order enters the central courtyard. He looks to be in great haste, but manages to be inconspicious nonetheless.

"Greetings. I am Gregorio, I bear tidings and well wishes from my lord, the illustrious Stjepan Tvrtko, king of Serbia and Bosnia etc. He wishes to correspond with you, and more. But I shall not disclose all of this myself, his correspondence will speak for itself. You can direct any questions you may have to me, if you so desire. If you don't have any, I will kindly take my leave of you."

Grgur bowed and offered the letter, while he waited expectantly for an answer.

TvrtkoI.jpg

We offer you our most heartfelt greetings, wise doge Antonio Veniero of the serene republic.

We, king Stjepan Tvrtko, shall be direct about what we wish to know of you. As you might know, the trade republic of Ragusa, one of your competitors, holds a monopoly on our silver. This does not please us very much and we hope to change this. We have the opportunity now in the guise of a trading port we built upon the banks of the bay of Kotor, it is called Novi and has been empty. Know that this port city was planned with a single intent in mind: rerouting the silver from the Ragusan coffers to divide it more fairly among more nations.

As you may suspect, we hope to include Venice in the creation of an new era of prosperity for the Adriatic. The mining of silver shall of course be our own responsibility once we get the opportunity, however we will need Venice's help should we want to trade it away, our own resources are only of minor capacity and could never hope to take all the demand. The fleet of the most serene republic would make the difference, of course for the enriching of both our nations.

Of course, we have not had either trading relations or even normal relations before, so this request may be very sudden, but we emphasise the monetary benefits both of us may get from a joint venture like the one proposed. Naturally, these things can not be handled by the nature of simple correspondence, so we invite you or one of your representatives to come to our court. We would come to yours were it not for the necessity of calling Stanak. You see, we hope to convince our peers that indeed our economic independence under Venice would be a good idea, but it shall not be an easy task. This is the reason we must remain in Bosnia. We hope however that we will see you there soon.

Signed respectfully,

King Stjepan Tvrtko Kotromanic of Serbia, Bosnia etc.

Treaty of Prosperous Trade and Naval Cooperation between Savoy and Venice

A trade agreement of good faith between two glorious realms, and a military agreement in naval matters.

Article 1 Savoy will grant Venice preferential status in passing the mountains through the Greater and Smaller St Bernhard Passes. Venice shall pay fifty percent of the current taxation upon these passes.

Article 2 Savoy grants Venice right to trade her goods in any market within the realm of the count of Savoy, and any of his demesnes.

Article 3 Venice grants Savoy and her merchants a preferential status upon her convoys in the Mediterranean Sea.

Article 4 Venice will grant Savoy a fair price, preferential status and full protection on military transport of her army should Savoy so require.

[ ] Giampaolo Mattera on behald of Savoy
[ ] Jacobo Foscari on behalf of Venice

Grgur Prijezda had been kept waiting for nearly 3 months for an answer now, a predicament he liked very little, he was therefore pleased when a sealed letter arrived for him, sealed by the sign he knew well, that of Stjepan Tvrtko I, king of Bosnia.

After reading it he called on a councilor to take a message from him, saying he would be continuing on through Italy and that any questions would have to be dealt with through regular correspondence.

After that Grgur left, glad his mission finally took him away from the lands of these decadent Venetian lords.

Foscari looked over the document quickly before answering ha stoicly.

"This is acceptable." The noble than rose and motioned for the two to leave the room. As they did a servant took forth the treaty and handed it to the envoy. Jacopo walked him out into the buildings man hall and bid him farewell. "It has been a pleasure, but I am certain you, as I, are quite busy. I look forward to the profitable relations today assured."

Valdemar said:
Treaty of Prosperous Trade and Naval Cooperation between Savoy and Venice

A trade agreement of good faith between two glorious realms, and a military agreement in naval matters.

Article 1 Savoy will grant Venice preferential status in passing the mountains through the Greater and Smaller St Bernhard Passes. Venice shall pay fifty percent of the current taxation upon these passes.

Article 2 Savoy grants Venice right to trade her goods in any market within the realm of the count of Savoy, and any of his demesnes.

Article 3 Venice grants Savoy and her merchants a preferential status upon her convoys in the Mediterranean Sea.

Article 4 Venice will grant Savoy a fair price, preferential status and full protection on military transport of her army should Savoy so require.

[ ] Giampaolo Mattera on behald of Savoy
[X] Jacobo Foscari on behalf of Venice