• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Audience with the Ambassador of Venice

2rdukepainting2.JPG
Andrija Sorkocevici

Duke do not like the pirates at all, he have many unhappy experiences with them...

Duke Your Excellency, these scums of the Hell are truely evil and I truely think that by our fleet co-operating together will ensure that these scums of the hell will not rob another faithful ships again. Many time merchants of Ragusa and surely Venice as well, mourn the losses while these scums profit from it. May we find a way for agreement between our two Republics so we will work together at lowering the risks of sailing in waters.

Our merchants are proud of carrying all the goods that the Republic require and handling trade between the Italy, the West, the Balkan and the East.

Sadly, most factions in our fair city will not even consider a trade agreement with your Republic. We still recall the times when all trade agreements with Venice are very unfavourable. Maybe the fleets working together and achievements of casting out these scums of the Hell
might convince them of credibility of doing the trade agreement.

Suddenly a bell rung three times calling the Senate to the Hall. Duke suddenly looked very annoyed, He uttered the word of Old Ragusan and reverted back to Italian. Rest of the group also looked annoyed

Duke Your Excellency, we still got many state affairs to attend to. Most Honourable Mencetici will attend to you. You can confer with him about the pirate agreement. May your stay be enjoyable and agreeable.

Apart from Mencetici who stayed behind, the rest of the Small Council went off back into another door discussing seriously. In few moment, the only people in are Mencetici and Bertuccio.

LeoNucci.jpg

Mencetici

Mencetici smiled at him cheerfully

Mencetici Your Excellency, We are very busy, I still think that commoners offering up prayers that they are not the nobles.

As for the wiping out the piracy that sadly infect the Sea, as his Grace suggested, an common protection treaty concerning the merchant ships could work? Just that I am curious, you have the same surname as His Grace, Doge of Venice. Are you an relative of the His Grace, Doge of Venice?

He looked at him with curiosity.

Veniero nodded appreciatively as the Duke railed against the pirates, and to himself he thought that even the fiercest of rivals, steeped in hatred can always find some common ground. There was cause for hope, between this agreement on the pirate menace, and a seeming understanding that neither Republic would resort to force, or conniving measures to deprive the other of its established markets, it was as good as it could probably get. Of course Bertuccio knew that the Venetian council would do everything in its power to limit Ragusan trade expansion, but he expected the same from the Ragusans. As the Duke took his leave Bertuccio bowed politely, and bade Andrija farewell.

"Much thanks for your precious time your grace, I am glad that temperate minds rule not only in Venice but here as well."

Quickly the room was emptying and Veniero found himself alone with this man Mencetici. He seemed a cheerful fellow and as such Bertuccio relaxed a bit and spoke plainly with the man.

"Indeed, I am eldest son of his grace Antonio Veniero, and as such can speak rather freely of the Republic's will." He did not wish to flaunt his lofty relations but felt it could be useful for those he negotiated with here that his words were not mere pretense and could be counted on to be backed by the Republic of Venice. "Regarding an agreement of mutual protection at sea, I think it would be best perhaps to limit such an accord to the Adriatic, for beyond that the interests of our Republics may not be so much in-line was they are near home where the enemy is plain to us both. Would it suit you most honourable Mencetici if I drew up a proposal along the lines of what has been discussed between myself and his grace, as well as between ourselves? That is if you having nothing more to add."

LeoNucci.jpg

Mencetici

Mencetici rose his eyebrows in surprise at the mention of that he is son of the Doge. There are still nobles who foamed at the word Venice among the Great Council.

He smiled once again

Mencetici Your Excellency, it suit me if you draw up proposal. However, the only thing I will add though that since the wars is certainly not in the best interests of our two Republics, may we can incorporate the non-aggression pact. I am sort of Foreign Minster really.

Shall I lead you to your apartment? We can have a drink of wine soon and have a look over your proposal.

The Doge's son felt himself warming considerably to the presence of this Mencetici and despite his feelling of responsibility to complete his business coldly and at court he accepted the invitation and walked with the man to his chambers. There they partook of the wine that the Ragusan had alluded to and Bertuccio quickly put the agreement to paper and presented it with a smile to Mencetici.

Bertuccio's Proposal said:
On Cooperation

I. Venice and Ragusa shall come to one another's aid and defence on sea and at land against independent belligerent ships in the Adriatic sea. That being from the City of Venice in the north to the Striat of Otranto in the South.

II. Venice shall pledge to vow 3 ships and men to every one of Ragusa for the purpose of offensives against pirate strongholds. In return Ragusa shall use its local power to discourage harboring of Pirates along the Dalmation coast.

III. Ragusa and Venice shall pledge a pact of non-aggression on land and at sea, in the interest of trade and mutual cooperation among Christian Republics.

On Trade

IV. Venice and Ragusa shall one another respect eachother's traditional markets, and Ragusa shall as well pledge to operate nether directilyl or indirectly in the markets of however restrict my merchant not to buy or sell goods at the province of Split, Istria, Treviso and the City of Venice.

V. Venice and Ragusa shall take no hostile or underhanded action to dislodge on another from their markets, relying only upon fair competition and peaceful negotation to resolve conflicts of interest.

VI. Venice shall have trade rights, on an equal basis to others in the city of Ragusa, in compensation Venice shall grant Ragusa access to its ports in the Mediterranean excluding the Adriatic.

"How does this suit your most honourable lord?" Bertuccio looked on inquisitvely, "Spare me no feeling if I have excluded some thing."

LeoNucci.jpg

Mencetici

Mencetici frowned thoughtfully at the treaty and sipped the glass of wine. Placing it down, he then pull new scoll out and rewrote the treaty. Mumbling Absently

Mencetici Your Excellency, Do not mix trade with military. It alway mess up the treaty. I will put in the one that acutally work and can go though the Senate at least with little problem. Trade agreements with Venice, I am afraid, will face much resistance. For now, this is sufficent.

1383 - Treaty of anti-piracy cooperation between Venice and Ragusa

Article I:
The Republics of Venice and Ragusa shall come to one another's aid and defence on sea and at land against independent belligerent ships in the Adriatic Sea. That being from the City of Venice in the north to the Strait of Otranto in the South

Article II:
The Republics of Venice shall pledge to vow 3 ships and men to every one of Ragusa for the purpose of offensives against pirate strongholds. In return The Republic of Ragusa shall use its local power to discourage harbouring of Pirates along the Dalmatian coast.

Article III:
Ragusa and Venice shall pledge a pact of non-aggression on land and at sea, in the interest of trade and mutual cooperation among Christian Republics.

Article IV:
This Treaty lasts for 25 years to be reconfirmed every 25 years. The Treaty cannot be changed unless it is agreed by both parties during the time between signing and the process to be reconfirming start.

[ ] Doge Anthony Veniero of Venice
[ ] Duke Andrija Sorkocevici of Ragusa

Bertuccio was a bit taken aback by Mencetici's slashing of the treat, but hid his thoughts, and looked upon the revision comprehensively. He remembered the Ragusan Duke's own words when he responded,

"There is some wisdom in not mixing business and state," Bertuccion began coldly, "Though I must admit Ragusa seems a bit inflexible in matters of both of our utmost concern. My proposal looks only to ratify what is the current state of affairs, the only addition being a commitment by Ragusa to stay out of specific Venetian markets in the North, something your own Duke committed to, only some minutes ago."

Veniero edited his document again, bringing it more inline with that of the Ragusan and presented it again.

Counteroffer said:

Article I:
The Republics of Venice and Ragusa shall come to one another's aid and defence on sea and at land against independent belligerent ships in the Adriatic Sea. That being from the City of Venice in the north to the Strait of Otranto in the South

Article II:
The Republics of Venice shall pledge to vow 3 ships and men to every one of Ragusa for the purpose of offensives against pirate strongholds. In return The Republic of Ragusa shall use its local power to discourage harbouring of Pirates along the Dalmatian coast.

Article III:
Ragusa and Venice shall pledge a pact of non-aggression on land and at sea, in the interest of trade and mutual cooperation among Christian Republics.

Article IV:
This Treaty lasts for 25 years to be reconfirmed every 25 years. The Treaty cannot be changed unless it is agreed by both parties during the time between signing and the process to be reconfirming start.

Article V:
Venice and Ragusa shall one another respect eachother's traditional markets, and Ragusa shall as well pledge to operate nether directilyl or indirectly in the markets of however restrict my merchant not to buy or sell goods at the province of Split, Istria, Treviso and the City of Venice

[ ] Duke Andrija Sorkocevici of Ragusa

"As you see, I have excluded two of the three trade clauses proposed, keeping only that which your own Duke, his most noble grace, presented."

Bertuccio looked straight into the Ragusan's eyes and patiently awaited a response, hoping this man should not give him reason to change his disposition.

LeoNucci.jpg

Mencetici

Mencetici frowned thoughtfully at the treaty and sipped even more wine.

Mencetici Your Excellency, I will present this in front of the Senate. It is going to be a long evening. Hopefully, the treaty will stay the same but you have to be aware that Ragusan affairs of state are complex. Anyway, I will hope you will enjoy staying at Ragusa and have a pleasant night.

He stood up and left the room holding the treaty. The Senate received the treaty and at least to say, they debate the treaty long and hard. It was dawn when they finally reached the judgment.

Silver Company

generalcologne.jpg
Crijevici

Three guards looked frightening before a very angry man.

Crijevic He took the Silver Company away?!

A brave man replied back apprehensively.

Guard Yes sir, we tried to stop His Grace, but...

Crijevic snarled at them and guards sweated. A guard went trembling with fear, letter in his hand.

Guard His Grace gave me this, Sir.

He snatched the letter and read it. It is short and simple.

Bit concerned about Serbia, so I am borrowing Silver Company from you to serve as honour guards, be back when I can.

Duke Andrija.

The door slammed open, admitting Mencetici.

Mencetici Please tell me Andrija did not go off on his own. I thought the Guards were meant to stop him.

Guard His Grace ordered us, my Lord. We cannot disobey an order from him...

Crijevic's chilly stare silenced him. Mencetici crossed his arms over his chest looking furious at the Guards.

Mencetici Would you men excuse us.

The guards fled, pulling the door shut after him. Once they were gone, Mencetici spoke again, his voice dangerously soft.

Mencetici Well, despite his actions, he is still an Duke. Find him and protect him. If he dies, God forgive you. I never will.

He walked out of the room.

Silver Company

Andrija and the Silver Company was riding toward Skopje. A company of hundred horsemen called Silver Company looked very dangerous and so the poorly trained troops of the varying factions gave them a wide berth.

Captain Would your Grace care to inspect the troops?

Andrija sighed at that question

Andrija They expecting it? Captain

Captain It is good for morale, your Grace. An uninspected trooper begins to feel unappreciated.

Andrija Very well, Captain.

The captain turned and bellowed an order. Andrija inspected his troops, and he pointed out missing buttons, unshaved faces, and boots not polished to prefection. When he finished, he had self-satisfied look on his face and told the captain.

Andrija I may not have the biggest army in Balkan, but I have got the sharpest.

They rode on to Skopje with no further incidents. Andrija however rode at the head of the column. The news that Duke is soon arriving at the Skopje have fill the city with anticipation. As they rode through the streets, crowds came out to cheer. Andrija graciously waving his acknowledgement of the cheers.

A man dressing almost in black look at him with his eyes full of steel. Even from the distance, Andrija could clearly see that his Dragoman’s nostrils were white and his jaw was clenched. He made it abundantly clear that he were just dying to have a nice long chat with the Duke…. He stepped forward and bowed.

Dragoman Your Grace, I seen to your rooms your Grace would want. The inn is called the Silver Cat. It is two streets over and I have taken the whole inn for you.

Andrija smiled faintly.

Andrija Excellent. Shall we go?

He nudged his mount to follow Dragoman.

Dragoman There have been all manners of rumours going about you. Everyone been scrambling around trying to find you.

He nodded back quickly.

Andrija I need to find Lord of the Serbs and the Danube, Stefan Prince Lazar, autocrat of all the Serbs. Just want to talk with him.

Dragoman forwned thoughfully and replied with doubt.

Dragoman He is very hard to track down, in fact, I do not recall last time he visit this city. But I am sure that the letter from Your Grace would suddenly reach him. Considering how important you are in this country.

Andrija shrugged at that point.

Andtija Well, my family is the biggest in the mining industry of Serbia and in several other trades as well.

**********​

ragusaCoA.JPG

For Lord of the Serbs and the Danube, Stefan Prince Lazar, autocrat of all the Serbs from Duke Andrija of House Sorkocevici of Ragusa, Member of the Great Council of Ragusa, Lord of the Night.

Greeting

I hope this find you in good health.

At this moment, I am writing this letter in hope that this will reach you. I am right now in residence of Silver Cat Inn at Skopje with the Silver Company. I wish to meet you so we can discuss on several issues. As you know, the ties between Serbia and Ragusa goes back centuries and it is clearly of mutually advantageous to both side.

Nevertheless, just want to tell you that I will be pleased to meet you anywhere.

Sincerely,

Andrija

Ragusanseal.JPG

Correspondence

Coming from Skopje itself, the message from the Duke of Dubrovnik did not take long to reach its intended recipient and with haste a reply returned to the Silver Crescent and its most noble guest…

Unto His Grace Andrija Sorkocevici, Duke of Dubrovnik and the Ragusa Republic,

Surely Your Grace wishes to challenge my hospitality with such an honoured and yet unwarned of visit. I do hope that I shall meet the test adequately. Currently I reside with His Excellency Lord Slavkovic in Jagodina, though I plan to travel to Prizren presently. If the items you wish to discuss are not of dire imminence it would perhaps be most convenient for Your Grace if you were to meet me in Prizren. However if it is more to your preference you are of course welcome to meet me here despite the longer journey. I shall trust to your desire and look forward to our meeting.

By His Hand in Jagodina,
Stefan Prince Lazar Hrebljanovic.

Bertuccio had wished that Mencetici would be able to sign the treaty there and then, but he understood the relations between the two Republics, and though it made for a long night the Venetian understood. Veniero awoke early the next morning, and fighting off the desire to pull his sheets over his head and go back to sleep he awoke, washed his face and pulled on his clothes. After breakfast he sought out Mencetici at court and approached him purposefully.

"Honourable Lord," he began with a bow of his head, "I hope the morning finds you well. I was wondering if there had been any word on Venice's proposal?" With expectant eyes Bertuccio looked on the Ragusan.

LeoNucci.jpg

Mencetici

Mencetici's eyes were full of fatigue, he didn't sleep at all for whole night. The sun shining though the window is annoying him, but first the treaty and then back to his duties. Staring at the sea as if it is was vast personal insult, Venetain was sent in and look at him with hopeful eyes. Mencetici looked back at him unenthusiastically, he was longing for his bed. The news that Duke went off somewhere did not make him cheerful.

Mencetici Your Excellency, I see that your night was indeed restful. I just came out of the meeting, it is almost the longest meeting but not quite. Anyway, as you are aware, the affiliation between the Republic of Ragusa and Venice is not precisely happy one.

Anyway, as for the treaty, we, the Senate I mean, decided that some of the articles ideal for us. I did my best on getting most of the agreement intact but some you will notice are not integrated.

Mencetici frowned with exasperation.

Mencetici They decided to add one more to the agreement, most of them reflect that if they cannot trade in these province then the Venetains should get the same. Right, this is the final draft and sadly, Senate will not move from it. No matter how much I attempt to convince them. The treaty is already signed so it only require your. We already sent the messages off to our people in Croatia and Hungary so they will soon act against these pirates.

Article I:

Article II:
The Republics of Venice shall pledge to vow 3 ships and men to every one of Ragusa for the purpose of offensives against pirate strongholds. In return, the Republic of Ragusa shall use its local power to discourage harbouring of Pirates along the Dalmatian coast.

Article III:
The Republics of Ragusa and Venice shall pledge a pact of non-aggression on land and at sea, in the interest of trade and mutual cooperation among Christian Republics.

Article IV:
The Republic of Ragusa shall as well pledge not to operate directly in the provinces of Venezia, Cattaro, Istria, and Treviso. In return, the Republic of Venice shall as well pledge not to operate directly in the province of Ragusa.

Article V:

[X] Duke Andrija Sorkocevici of Ragusa

The Ragusan looked weary, and his disposition did not dispel the fact, Bertuccio thought. Veniero listened on as Mencetici blandly spoke about the results of the Senate's meeting. Soon the document was in Bertuccio's hand, and he sighed heavily upon reading the last clause. He ran his hands tensely through his air as he answered,

"Your Senate acts as if it is in a position to hand down its will upon Venice, the Fathers of La Serenissima will not ratify this treaty with such an exclusion, but I shall send it on to them for debate, as I will not be held responsible for signing it." The Doge's son paused and put the document into his breast pocket before concluding.

"You seem a noble and keen man Honourable Lord, it weighs upon me that it is upon these unpleasant duties that we do make our acquaintance. I shall send this proposal on the first northbound ship to Venice and you shall be the first to hear of the answer."

With that the Venetian bowed and took his leave of the weary man. He had to write to his father, ashamed that nothing better had come of his negotiations here.

A letter soon finds its way to the Republican Senate of Ragusa.

Greetings,

I am Lalaşahin Pasha, Beylerbey of Rumeli. It is my honor to send you this letter on behalf of the Great and God-like Sultan Murad I.

Though you are a small realm, the Heirs of Osman remain committed to seeing your independence. Over a decade ago, there was a treaty made between our realms of good relations. Yet as time has passed, it seems to have fallen amiss.

We wish to renew it.

Should the Senate of Ragusa pledge it's guaranteed support of 10,000 Ragusan soldiers (1 land power) in the event that the Ottoman Sultan must fight a war in Asia against fellow yet hostile muslims, the Sultanate will endeavor to ensure your safety against any party that might seek to dominate your small state and make it their own.

Furthermore, if after this initial understanding, relations continue to prove harmonious, the Sultan has expressed a willingness to help fund your maritime endeavors in the Adriatic and Aegean.

A letter arrives via a merchantile vessel from Almeria.The message is perfumed with rose water and a strong aroma of Yasmine for effect.

In the Name of allah the Merciful and the Magnificent
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Unto the Noble Ragusan Republica

I write to you my Grace asking that you send envoys unto us at Ghernta so that we may discuss matters of trade regarding Iberia and all of al-Andalus.
It is our aim to forge a treaty to foster good relations between our two realms.Al-Andalus is a bountful land full of riches and luxuries.Your merchants tire and trek the far off lands of the east whilst we produce far more superior and refined goods.From Silks to ceramics, our industries in Ghernata are powerful and able, but since we are Muslims, we have failed to export our products into Europe and seek middle men to do as such.I await your envoys with much earnest.I understand we had some minor disagreements with your republic in the past, but times have changed and thus we await you, oh noble people of Ragusa!

Sighed, Ibn Rizwan , Hajib of al-Andalus

Vuk.jpg

In a small room in the glorious city of Ragusa, jewel upon the Adriatic coast, was perhaps the unhappiest man of the entire coast. His hair had gone prematurely grey and his proud eyes did not shine with the light that they should have possessed.

This man was Vuk Kotromanic, brother to the king of Bosnia and exile of that same realm. He had been used, in his youth when he was young and naive, by the nobles to supplant his brother. He had agreed to it under promisses of power, but was ultimately driven off by his brother Tvrtko with the help of his relatives from Hungary. However, Tvrtko spared his brother and showed him mercy in exiling him.

Shamed, Vuk lived his days in Ragusa first indulging himself in the pleasures it had to offer, but growing ever more isolated in his guilt over breaking with his brother. As the years passed he started wishing his brother had just killed him instead of letting him live in shame, guilted and in exile. He was more sorry than anyone could ever be, but he feared his brother's mercy more than he feared his wrath. Eaten up by guilt, Vuk grew ever more miserable.

And now, he sits in a small house surrounded by people he doesn't understand or know, in a city in which he feels alien, no matter its beauty.

Sighing, he stands up from the chair by the window in his small room. He paces around the room for a little while before halting, when the wrinkles that mar his prematurely aged face suddenly drop away. He speaks to himself, and his voice has a resigned but relieved character.

"This has gone on for far too long. Why must I pay for my youthful arrogance or my brother's mercy?"

Bruskly, he stepped to his door and headed towards the Ducal palace after having dressed himself in his old Kingly robes. When he arrives there he adresses the first guard he sees, showing his tattered and worn royal insignia.

"Good day, could you pass on to the duke or one of his attendants that the brother of the king of Bosnia is here to see him to discuss urgent business regarding his brother."

Vuk waited for an answer patiently.

Audience with Vuk Kotromanic

LeoNucci.jpg
Mencetici

Duke's own secretary who met him standing in a bare whitewashed antechamber. The secretary's head tilted judiciously.

Secretary I will see what I can do for you, but His Grace is in Serbia discussing matters of importance with Prince Lazar. Come with me, Sir.

Vuk Kotromanic hastily followed the secretary, who led them up some stairs and after more turnings, they came to a pair of double doors craved with sign of Ragusa. The secretary bowed Vuk Kotromanic inside.

It was a formal receiving chamber, set up for conference, not ceremony. A broad table, roomy enough to spread out maps and documents, occupied one end. The long far wall was pierced with a row of doors with a square windowpanes set top to bottom, giving onto a balcony that in turn overlooked the sea that were one of the pillars of Ragusa's wealth.

Vuk Kotromanic's eye had no trouble picking out Mencetici. He relaxed in his cushioned chair and looked at Vuk Kotromanic and smiled.

Mencetici I am sorry that His Grace is out for few weeks so I am at the moment overlooking the matters, so what can I do for you?

Vuk.jpg

Vuk looked around the office before his eyes rested on Mencetici, who was a stately man of himself, but the office is what held his attention, it was stuffed to the brim with official documents. Vuk didn't think he'd ever seen this much paper in his life. Suddenly hesitant to bring fourth his trifling matter before the council of the Ragusan republic, he remained silent, a pregnant silence it was.

After regaining his wits, he spoke.
"My lord Mencetici, I'm honoured that you will see to my humblest of requests so quickly, and I feel almost selfish to ask of you what I am going to. But I feel that I must, lest I wither in my golden cage."
"Your grace may know of the situation between me and my brother, but you should at least know that I was exiled in my youth. It was a plot to supplant my brother with a puppet they had an easier time to control, and I was a perfect target. They used me, and I must admit I allowed myself to be used, it was power that was intoxicating me. But like every intoxication, this one had a rude awakening when my brother regained his throne with the support of the kingdom of Hungary."
"This is known to many, what many do not know as that my brother, in his mercy, spared me and chose to exile me. Why he did so I still do not know. Was I not a threat to his continued rule? Could I not rile up an army to overthrow him once more? It mattered not, I was exiled under pain of death, I could never return. So I did the logical thing and took shelter in the pearl of Dalmatia, the redroofed city of Ragusa. But as splendid as it is, it is not home."
"But this is not all. No, I betrayed my brother, ousted him for no reason other than my youthful arrogance. And as I have grown older, I have grown to hate myself for it. You see, lord Mencetici, he spared me, a deed of mercy that I would not have given him, if given the chance. He fled when I was made king, but I would not have spared him. So all these years, my brother, which I love with all my heart, has shown me mercy, a mercy I never would have given him. And I want to know why. Why it is that he showed me mercy."
"But most of all, I just want to see my brother again, to close the rift between us, to reconcile myself with him, to return to the glorious Kotromanic family, to walk over the hills near Visoko once more, to hunt near the waterfalls of Vrbas. I wish to return home."
"Therefore I seek clemency, and I implore, nay, beg of you to give me a chance to speak to my brother, to summon him to Ragusa so we after 15 years may speak once more. I have not the power to do so, only you do, your grace. And by all that is good and holy, I beg you to give me the chance to redeem myself in the eyes of my brother the king."

Vuk paused, emotional by his own long speech, and remembered who he was talking to. This was not some country woman. This was councilor of the Ragusan republic, and he would not be swayed by words alone. He cleared his throat and continued, a slight tremor in his voice.

"I know that you are thinking now 'what will the republic gain by healing this feud?' Firstly, you should know that if we become brothers once more, I can influence my brother to see more clearly the benefits in friendship with the Ragusan republic. This may improve the Ragusans chance for more lucrative contracts for the silver of Srebrenica and the salt of Soli which you so crave."
"Secondly, and more importantly, the talk of the city is the fortress port of Novi, recently constructed by my brother to stave off Ragusan influence. I know how much it annoys you that my brother would do such thing. Know that I may also be able to negotiate it's closing or even its dismantling, so that the ships of Ragusa may sail uncontested once more."
"But most of all I must implore you to look into your christian soul and follow the words of Christ, that we may all be redeemed, that we should lead our deceived brethren through the valley and tyranny of evil men. I was once an evil man, but I have repented, and although I can not guarantee you any economic benefits, it would be the Christian thing to do to reunite a broken family."

With those closing words, Vuk looked at Mencetici expectantly, guaging him for a reaction.

Audience with Vuk Kotromanic

LeoNucci.jpg
Mencetici

Mencetici eyes' glittered attentively and tapped his fingers on the table thinking it over. It was quite a nice speech but the nobility of Ragusa are full of great speechs especially when it is protecting their interests. But his heart are hardened by years of judging courts and often ordered many to be killed.

Mencetici Well spoken, there are many people who fled their lands in times of stifle and not many of them acutally came to terms and want to come home with their enemies at power. Nonetheless, it is our policy not to intervene in affairs of other countries, especially our nearest neighbours. But it is true that Republic can gain from such healing feud between you and your brother.

He smiled slightly at that.

Mencetici We already controlled these silver of Srebrenica and most of them came though this very same city.

His eyes suddenly went gloomly with the thoughts of Novi, a danger...

Mencetici Nevertheless, Republic are MOST concerned about fortress port of Novi, already there are some among us who personally want to take it apart by the War Fleet and Army but luckly cooler heads prevails on that judgment.

He stood up and start pacing around the room...

Mencetici Yes, it would be Christian to help two brothers to reunite, very well. You will have my promise that I will ask His Grace about this. However, if such things does happen and he still look on you with disfavour, you will not have a second chance...

Mencetici stopped pacing and looked at Vuc.

Vuk.jpg

Inwardly, Vuk Kotromanic sighed a great sigh of relief. His pleas had been heard, praise the lord.

"A second chance is all I ask, a third chance I shall not need, deo volente. And if I should need one, I shall not come to you for it. Already your grace honours me with display of chivalry and good christianity, and I shall be eternally grateful for it, even if were to ultimately fail."

Vuk walked up to the councilor, his arched becoming straight, the years falling from him like rain from a tiled roof. Instantly he looked more regal than he had for more than a decade, and before Mencetici now stood once more a proud Bosnian. Vuk smiled and spoke

"I shall be here if you need me or when you have summoned my brother here. As an inhabitant of your proud city, I will defend its interests. The interests of a city that sheltered me and was home for so long, even though it admittedly never felt like that."
"If the duke returns, tell him of my plight, tell him of what I may mean to you. I hope to hear from you soon, but now I have to excuse myself."
and Vuk gestured to the outside where the spring sun was setting.
"It is growing late and I am sure your grace has more important things to do than listen to the ramblings of an old man all day" Vuk said with the a joking voice. But he quickly turned serious once more.

"Whatever happens, your grace, remember I will be eternally in your debt. This service shall be repayed, be it now or a long time from now."

And with that, Vuk Kotromanic bowed and left, his stride firm, his back straight.