• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 17 - The Wishes of the People

OOC: Before this begins, I would like to say thank you to everyone who posts on this AAR. Remember, just knowing that you read it, even if you didn't think it was great, is encouragement for me!
----

Dimosthenes was now completely cemented in power over the Council. His brother, Theophlyaktos, and the de facto head of the noble coalition, Theodoros, were now dead. This removed almost all strong opposition to Dimosthenes' actions for the populist faction of Athens completely. Adeipho had almost no allegiance, and really only checked Dimosthenes' progression when he did something that was completely ridiculous.

In his increasingly liberal and populist reforms, Dimosthenes began to privatize the colonies. Of course, since the only group of people wealthy enough to take large plots of the colonies in Athens was Dimosthenes' own colonial company, these actions were lucrative for him. Indeed, many said he now had a personal wealth greater than the entire state treasury of Athens.

However, the rapid decline of the power of the Crown of Athens began to destabilize the government. In reality, the office became more of a second Council than the highest authority internally in the land. Nero Doria simply ignored Dimosthenes' actions, preferring to bring the military and navy up to date. This only fueled the fire, though, because now Dimosthenes could begin encroaching on other small nations' colonial ambitions without fear.

He realized what he was doing to the efficiency of the government, though, and began to pour some of his own treasury into stabilizing the Crown and putting the people at ease once again. Who would have ever thought that the citizens would revolt at being given more power?

EU3_326.jpg

Nero began arranging diplomatic treaties with other countries, preparing to buffer his lands against warfare in the Balkans. The most spectacular of these was a military alliance with the King of Burgundy, though it was actually offered to Nero, not created because of him.

EU3_327.jpg

Meanwhile, as his colonial company became slowly the richest entity in the realm from exploitation of the colonies, South America began to see the Blue Lion flying in many more places than just the original landing spot. It was clear to many foreigners that Athens was preparing to completely dominate the colonization of South America. In truth, the other nations had only colonized the islands as of yet, they hadn't yet moved onto the mainland of either continent.

EU3_328.jpg

Although the general sentiment of the people was that Nero Doria hadn't been doing enough to check the rapid growth of power in the Crispo family, it was true that he made the people feel safer. Safety was a precious commodity in these times, where wars were frequent and merciless. People would be slaughtered for no reason, just to increase the chance of revolt in another country. To feel safe from attack, to have peace of mind, that was the reason the people flocked to the ballots that year to re-elect Nero.

EU3_329.jpg

It had been years since Theodoros died. The Konstantinos household was a quiet place, looked after by the now widowed Anastasia. She never would have thought she would end up here, taking care of four children alone. Adron, her only son, seemed to be completely disinterested in Athens itself. Instead, as a fourteen year old boy, he ignored his motherland for the pursuit of.. nothing, really.

A knock came at the door. It was now close to the last hour of the night. Darkness had already befallen Athens for quite some time. Who would possibly come knocking at this hour? Opening the huge door, Anastasia was immediately taken aback. She knew the face that presented itself. He was one of the few remnants of the golden age of the country. A time when the government was safely checked and no one person ran supreme.

The face of Adeipho, councilor of Athens, was in her doorway. "Greetings, Councilor..." Anastasia managed, nodding toward the young man who wasn't so young anymore. For the most part, he ignored her. He simply rose an eyebrow questioningly, wordlessly asking to come in. Anastasia stepped aside, and the dark figure swept into the household with grace that she wouldn't expect from a Councilor.

"Where is Adron?" he asked in a hushed voice, only a notch above inaudible. The woman, still shocked by the man she hadn't seen in so long coming into her house, quietly gestured to the living room without moving her legs at all. He walked over to the boy, who was seated by the window, looking out at the sky.

Adeipho sat down beside him, silent for a minute, until Adron finally looked up from the window and noticed the person who had appeared next to him seemingly without warning. "Who.. who are you?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. With no male parent to get him access to the ballot area or the like, Adron had never been able to take an interest in politics. Adeipho was a completely mysterious face to him.

Shaking his head, the councilor merely looked at the boy, almost with distaste. Pulling a letter out of his coat pocket, he stood up, handed it to the boy, and turned around. He walked for a little, then stopped, and spoke without turning. "Don't open it until you're ready to change the world. Once it's done, there's no going back. Hold on to your childhood." With that, he walked out briskly, not sparing another second for the family that had fallen on hard times, both financially and in esteem.

about the conquer of Achea:
is it possible for OPMs to defect to a neighbouring country after patriots take control of them?
I always thought you can only steal provinces that way from countries with multiple provinces, but not their capital.

about the conquer of Achea:
is it possible for OPMs to defect to a neighbouring country after patriots take control of them?
I always thought you can only steal provinces that way from countries with multiple provinces, but not their capital.

You can gain a nation's capital with rebels under the following circumstances:

1) They must be Patriot rebels loyal to you (Nationalists might work as well, never tried it)
2) All provinces must be occupied before the nation's collapse (Thus meaning it is nigh impossible to gain the capital of a large nation. Countries collapse at 2/3rds of their provinces occupied by rebels, to my knowledge)
3) Luck, or they are an OPM.

Thanks for the compliments Overlord, bouzoulll!

The Caribbean isn't exactly what I'm aiming for. Although rich, I'd much rather take the amazing provinces national-focus wise in South America. (South America has a province that borders 9 other provinces!)

I'm not quite sure why I lost the prestige. I think I declined a call to arms from Burgundy, as I recall the alliance only lasted for one war (one too minor to take a screenshot of, probably)

1) They must be Patriot rebels loyal to you (Nationalists might work as well, never tried it)
2) All provinces must be occupied before the nation's collapse (Thus meaning it is nigh impossible to gain the capital of a large nation. Countries collapse at 2/3rds of their provinces occupied by rebels, to my knowledge)

Thanks for the compliments Overlord, bouzoulll!

The Caribbean isn't exactly what I'm aiming for. Although rich, I'd much rather take the amazing provinces national-focus wise in South America. (South America has a province that borders 9 other provinces!)

I'm not quite sure why I lost the prestige. I think I declined a call to arms from Burgundy, as I recall the alliance only lasted for one war (one too minor to take a screenshot of, probably)

I didnt knew that there is a province that borders with another 9!!!! Im very calm now... i took my lesson for today,:rofl:

This is simply excellent! Extremely well-written, and the character development is beyond what I've seen in any AAR, but at the same time it doesn't completely drown out the gameplay. Subscribed.

wow, thanks so much.
I played so many hours with this game, and there are still obvious stuff I dont know. :D

Very nice as always, do ou plan to conquer NA as well?

We will see. I doubt it though, South America is simply better IMHO, except for Mexico and its gold and Canada for the fur.

This is simply excellent! Extremely well-written, and the character development is beyond what I've seen in any AAR, but at the same time it doesn't completely drown out the gameplay. Subscribed.

Thank you, that's some compliment! :)

wow, thanks so much.
I played so many hours with this game, and there are still obvious stuff I dont know. :D

Yeah, it took me awhile to figure out that you could collapse countries with rebels and gain their provinces. Before I thought you had to wait for the defection.

Tell Stelio Kontos I said hi. :)

Enjoying the AAR. I think that given what you said on colonization, planting your flag in the Rio de la Plata (where Buenos Aires is historically) would be a good choice. Claiming a nice coastline and going into the interior in time would make for a nice base in case you need to escape Europe and start a New Athens in the tropics. Good luck.

Enjoying the AAR. I think that given what you said on colonization, planting your flag in the Rio de la Plata (where Buenos Aires is historically) would be a good choice. Claiming a nice coastline and going into the interior in time would make for a nice base in case you need to escape Europe and start a New Athens in the tropics. Good luck.

Thanks for the comment! I agree with you. However, things seem peaceful in Europe for the moment. I think I'm going to possibly go around toward Mexico instead though, maybe snag a few gold provinces along the way. We'll see!

Chapter 18 - He Wasn't Around Long

OOC: Thanks for the comments guys! This is the most support I've ever had for any AAR. If this keeps up, I will definitely push through to the end on this one.

----

---- Introducing ----

Demetrios Doria - Son of Prince Nero Doria​

Bells rang out in the streets of Athens, chiming for the funeral. The citizens went about their daily business though, they really didn't care. A man who hadn't been in the city before stood in the street, his foot putting pressure on the stones below him. Everything seemed so, busy. He could hear the calls of traders from down the road, crying to try and sell their wares. Almost all of Europe had heard word of the dominating Athenian traders, who held decent shares in most of the trade centers.

At first, everything seemed normal. But then he saw people dropping blue chips in a row of containers laid out a few feet from him. Each one was labeled with a letter, and some people put their chip in one container, others put it in another. It took him a few moments to realize it, but then it hit him. They were voting for the new prince.

Indeed, Nero Doria had been reclining in his offices just three years after he was re-elected when a certain feeling seized hold of him. It shook him to his core, and it made him feel true helplessness. What had happened, no one was sure, but the experience was related by his family who were all with him that night to support him on making a relatively minor decision. But they had always been there for him. Maybe he would've made a great prince, but he simply wasn't around long.

EU3_330.jpg

He had only done one thing in his time as prince: to give his son aspirations. Demetrios Doria was simply a twelve year old boy when his father died. But the boy realized that, like his father had done, Demetrios could definitely change the world, or at least the country for however much longer it would exist. But his goal was not to become elected to the minor office of Prince of Athens. No, he was going to take down the giant himself.

He would finish Dimosthenes.

The visitor to Athens who had earlier noticed the containers began moving through the city quickly. He had one target in mind, the home of the Konstantinos family. After having arrived, he knocked on the door, wringing his hands in nervousness. A woman he knew from long ago stood in the doorway for him. The middle-aged Russian women had seen better times, especially when he had known her back then. As she ushered him through the house, he took no real note of his surroundings.

Palms sweating he took a seat where she gestured to, in a hard wooden chair. Anastasia sat down across from him in one that looked a good bit more comfortable. Fitting, in the circumstances of his appearance. They sat there in silence for a minute or two. He continued dry washing his hands, though it could hardly be called dry washing for how much his palms were sweating.

She began to open her mouth, but he quickly rose one shaking hand to cut her off. It wasn't that he didn't want to start talking, but he simply needed a few moments to collect his thoughts. So many things had happened, especially back in their homeland. Back in Novgorod. In reality, he wasn't sure if she would find what he was about to say important, but Anastasia had to know. He simply felt compelled to tell her, even if he had to lie in his letter about why he was coming. "I... I have a few things to tell you..." he finally said, gazing down at the floor.

"...sister,"

Last edited: