• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice AAR, never read one from a Greek perspective. The question is who will be controlling Francesca. Theodoros maybe, or will she be her own master.

I just found your AAR the other day and I'm enjoying it! Your bits of character development are interesting and help bind together the different elements of your gameplay. Very well done!

Wow, this is my favorite AAR to date! Keep it up please!

But, since I'm still new to the game, I will definately use this post to pick your brain: What type of rebellion are you using to turn other nations' provinces to your side?

Somebody's still reading this? I may possibly update once the summer starts again, if I can remember what happened. If not, I'll probably start a new one.

I'm using patriots, by the way. They defect the fastest, though to my knowledge a few other types of rebels (including peasants, IIRC) defect as well. If patriots take over another country in its entirety, you get all the provinces instantly.

For a review on how to use rebels effectively, I highly recommend Svip's "Glory for Ulm: A Flagland AAR" which details how to use them.

Somebody's still reading this? I may possibly update once the summer starts again, if I can remember what happened. If not, I'll probably start a new one.

I'm using patriots, by the way. They defect the fastest, though to my knowledge a few other types of rebels (including peasants, IIRC) defect as well. If patriots take over another country in its entirety, you get all the provinces instantly.

For a review on how to use rebels effectively, I highly recommend Svip's "Glory for Ulm: A Flagland AAR" which details how to use them.

Kepp it going

Im enjoying this, and would definably keep reading it if you care to keep it going

Chapter 13 - The Lion's Roar

Dimosthenes Crispo flicked a mosquito off his shoulder calmly. He was boarding a ship from the Trarzan coast to take him to Athens immediately. With chests of gold in the ship and the power of the Crispo family waiting for his summons, Dimosthenes was prepared to conquer Athens. Not literally, but figuratively. With sheer monetary force alone he had stayed on the council as one of the three consistent members since he had been elected to the position years past. Theodoros, Theophlyaktos, and himself. That was it. The only other councilor who had managed to stay for more than one or two elections was Adeipho, who had matured into a man in his middle ages.

He had waited too long to make this move. Athens could have been his long ago, and the King could have been removed from power entirely. In fact, the whole office could have been struck out and made void. Though, he supposed, it was the office of the Queen now. That word, 'Queen', hung on his tongue with distaste. That law should never have been removed. Not only was she a craft woman, she was a woman! Who in their right mind let a woman hold the throne when there was a perfectly good heir only about two hundred miles away? Still, he had good news to think of. His colonial company, which Dimosthenes had taken the pleasure of naming the Crispo National Trade Company, had expanded into the African interior. Naming his new acquisition Braknopolis, Dimosthenes was proud of that, at least.

EU3_315.jpg

~~~

Back in Athens, Francesca had to deal with reforms her brother had put into place. Though he had never planned on putting it into use, Francesco had believed a strong, well trained army could keep attackers at bay. She didn't really understand the technical details of it that well, and it seemed to be a reform that was a good few years before its time. Still, better to stay ahead of fate then fall into its clutches.

EU3_317.jpg

Unlike her father, she knew the value of using such a tool on the offensive, and had laid out plans for extending the number of soldiers that would be able to be fed and supported. This way, the national army could be increased in numbers and still be effective. It was probably one of the grandest armies Athenian soil had seen since the times of the ancient Greeks.

EU3_316.jpg

Good news had come from the council earlier as well. The old alliance with Castile had been rekindled, and the Iberian power was once again warding off other nations from attacking Athens. She was able to appreciate that Athens wasn't a power. In fact, it was probably close to the weakest nation on the continent at this point. Her goal in life wasn't to prove her country wasn't weak, which it was, but rather to make it strong even if it meant giving her own life.

EU3_319.jpg

In addition to that, as if it wasn't good enough news, the harbor of New Athens had been fully set up for long voyages. The tales that came to Francesca's court from wide-eyed Spanish explorers could now be investigated. If the land to the west really existed, and if it actually was as wealthy as they said.... the power it could give Athens to be the first there was unprecedented. Knowing Dimosthenes was on his way to Athens, she drafted up an imperial order for him to create an expedition to explore the West. Not a large one, she couldn't lose that many of her precious sailors if they got lost or if the landmass wasn't actually there, but sizable enough to create a new colony on the land.
-----

OOC: Sorry this wasn't very dramatic, I need to get back into the story before doing things like All Hail the Queen. I assure you, though, Dimosthenes' return will be quite dramatic, though he's on a slow boat. :p

Last edited:
Without rebels this game would've been a lot harder for me, so I can appreciate that. In fact, I don't think I've even actually conquered a province yet in the AAR (Though I have conquered plenty in the actual game, I haven't written up to that point yet)

Chapter 14 - New Shores, New Lions

The colonial expedition had been dispatched by Francesca a few months ago. Finally, she received word back from a few men left on a damaged ship. The Athenian Army had engaged natives in the lands to the west, which did exist! The Blue Lion had been raised, but the soldiers were not willing to become colonists. Francesca understood this, and began gathering those in her kingdom who wanted land, and would be willing to go to a whole new world with violent natives and pagan infidels to get it in their hands.

EU3_321.jpg

It was almost a year later when word reached Athens that a colony, New Achaea, had been founded. It was on the coast of the strange new land, and only held a few hundred people. The foundation of it was a dangerous and risky venture, but Francesca was sure that it would be the beginnings of a great empire that would stand the test of time. As she looked at the map, though, she couldn't help but sigh. Athens had the potential to be so great, but the Queen alone couldn't forge a powerful nation.

EU3_322.jpg

In that time, Dimosthenes had returned home, and immediately began reconstructing the ancient monuments of Athens. Appealing to the Greeks in the city, he quickly gained a large following. Theodoros, worried, addressed him about it at the council meeting that night. The blazing hot room, steaming in the temperature of the Greek summer, only made him seem more disheveled, and punctuated his delivery more than usual. He was growing old, and could feel his body grow sore from just a few minutes of standing. Suppressing the need to sit down, he forced through. "Dimosthenes, what's the meaning of this.. populist movement you carry on about? Stick to the burghers, that's where you belong!" he said. Francesco II had taught him that populists were dangerous creatures. Dimosthenes' expansion of the kingdom was valuable, and Theodoros hoped he wouldn't have to be exiled.

"Why do we have this council Theodoros? To support the nobles who already have power? No! To support the burghers, who already have great wealth? No! We have this council to be the voice of the common man! The only thing stopping Athens from being a glorious nation, a bastion of civilization and civilian happiness, is that.. that... accursed woman!" Dimosthenes shouted. It was clear to everyone in the room that the man meant Francesca.

Moving around the table slowly, Theodoros began glaring at Dimosthenes as he approached him. After he was only a few feet away, he jumped at the man, fist pulled back and ready for the punch. Then, he felt two strong hands hold him back. His leap had stopped, and a middle aged councilor who had saved Theodoros those many years ago was now standing. Adeipho. "Do not defile council, Theodoros. You are our savior. Keep your life," he whispered into his friend's ear. Grunting with reluctance, the councilor relaxed and began to withdraw. Before he walked back to his chair, though, he directed a quiet comment to the colonizer. "Do not disrespect your Queen,"

Though a radical ideal had been put down that day, it firmly planted something inside the minds of the Athenian council. What was the institution there for? Was the Queen necessary? She was just barring Athens' quest for glory. It was an ideal that would come back to bite them, and an ideal that would make Athens the country it would become.

EU3_323.jpg

--

OOC: We're getting to the good stuff! Also, I kinda scrapped that idea about having people choose my elected official. Too little happens in the election timeframe. Half my updates would just be elections.

So, there is now a mod that JUST allows you to form Greece.

Should I get it?

Would you guys rather see 'Athens' stretching across the Balkans, or 'Greece'?

Think about it for me.

Greece.