• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avindian

People's Commissar of the Navy
120 Badges
Jan 3, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hello!

With the great work the folks at the EU3toVic2 Converter Project have done, and some excellent AARs by Dewirix and Tamius23, I decided I'd throw my hat into the ring.

This will be a strictly gameplay AAR; frankly, narrative ones take a lot of work, and I'm already working on one! :) This is a loose continuation of my Republic of Russia (Novgorod --> Russia) AAR; loose because the latest save I could find is from 1789, instead of 1821.

House Rules

Settings all on normal.

1. There shall be no cheating, reloading of saves, or anything excessively gamey.
2. For now, I intend to stay within the infamy limit. CBs are hard to come by in Vicky 2, so I'm a little hesitant to make this ironclad, but I want to do my best not to make this solely about conquest.
3. If I need to edit a save game, I'll always run it by you folks first!
4. One update per election cycle of four years; no early elections.
5. I will play no farther than one update ahead.
6. Any and all comments, questions, and feedback are welcome!

Goals

1. Retake my core and the rest of Anatolia.
2. Reform as much as I can.
3. Try to understand (and explain!) the election system.
4. Industrialize like there's no tomorrow.
5. Conquer Korea.
6. Colonize Siberia and Alaska.
7. Have fun and give some useful input to the folks at the converter project!

I welcome other suggestions for goals; I don't intend to make this an interactive AAR, but I'm something at a loss for what to actually do :)

For now, to whet your appetite, here's the mighty Russian Republic!

Russia from West to East (excluded: North and South)

intromap1.jpg

intromap2.jpg

intromap3.jpg

intromap4.jpg

The World, Russia, and her vassals

v2maprus18351211.jpg

v2maprus18351212.jpg

Bright Green is Russia, Dark Green is Satellites

Because of the Vicky 2 production system, I'm going to let the economy run for a week as part of the first update. That way you'll get useful information without a whole bunch of zeroes. I'll handle your standard info screens as well as the first four years of the game.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
That game has a bit of blatantly odd country mapping going on; who was Lippe-Detmold before conversion? I'm wondering why they didn't get the Spain tag...usually Iberia converts pretty sanely. Or, on the other side of it, who managed to snag Spain? :) Likewise with Italy...Naples should have gotten Two Sicilies, assuming Sicily didn't exist. And what country is sitting on most of Scandinavia? Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are accounted for, and Finland's taking a much-needed warm vacation in Iberia...

Looks interesting nonetheless; I'll be looking forward to following your adventures!

I'll definitely be following this one, even if Japan's obviously too small. :)

Election-wise, I'm not sure you're going to be able to have too much effect on the outcomes. The events are all on a single-state basis, and you must have over a hundred, meaning at best that every choice influences the views of one per cent of the electorate.

I'll be interested to see who the other GPs are. There's a lack of an obvious candidate to form Germany, unlike in my game where it looks like Austria's for the taking.

looks fascinating ... again it'll be interesting to see how the changes (not least the rather diminished UK) alter the normal V2 dynamics

I'm looking forward to seeing the insanity myself!

That game has a bit of blatantly odd country mapping going on; who was Lippe-Detmold before conversion? I'm wondering why they didn't get the Spain tag...usually Iberia converts pretty sanely. Or, on the other side of it, who managed to snag Spain? :) Likewise with Italy...Naples should have gotten Two Sicilies, assuming Sicily didn't exist. And what country is sitting on most of Scandinavia? Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are accounted for, and Finland's taking a much-needed warm vacation in Iberia...

Looks interesting nonetheless; I'll be looking forward to following your adventures!

Lieppe-Detmold should actually be Spain; not sure why someone else got the tag. Scandinavia is part of Switzerland, who was very busy in this game. For some reason Tripoli ended up as Spain, according to the log file.

I'll definitely be following this one, even if Japan's obviously too small. :)

Election-wise, I'm not sure you're going to be able to have too much effect on the outcomes. The events are all on a single-state basis, and you must have over a hundred, meaning at best that every choice influences the views of one per cent of the electorate.

I'll be interested to see who the other GPs are. There's a lack of an obvious candidate to form Germany, unlike in my game where it looks like Austria's for the taking.

Thanks for following! You're probably right that I won't, but I would like to see how it works with an enormous democracy.

Two questions for the conversion team:

1) I ended up with zero starting factories; is this because I haven't unpaused yet?

2) Are you close to a literacy conversion?

Spain should definitely have gotten the Spain tag. It's one of the first rules we run during country conversion (if EU3-Spain exists, it becomes V2-Spain). That's a puzzler. Scandinavia belonging to Switzerland is historically bizarre, but if it was that way in EU, I won't complain :)

1) You should have factories in the factory list (assuming you qualified for them), but no industrial score, since we don't set factory employment or production history. The first week or so will give appropriate industrial scores. If you don't have any factories, check the log file; there should be a section for factory allocation, and it will tell you which countries got which factories. Depending on your tech and # of manufactories, you may not have qualified for any (like the GC, we hand out 35 or so, to the top ten [roughly] industrialized countries).

2) Some vague plans for literacy, but nothing concrete. IMHO this is the biggest problem the converted saves currently have (but it's balanced out a bit by one of the other problems, which is that we're entirely too generous with starting techs).

Spain should definitely have gotten the Spain tag. It's one of the first rules we run during country conversion (if EU3-Spain exists, it becomes V2-Spain). That's a puzzler. Scandinavia belonging to Switzerland is historically bizarre, but if it was that way in EU, I won't complain :)

1) You should have factories in the factory list (assuming you qualified for them), but no industrial score, since we don't set factory employment or production history. The first week or so will give appropriate industrial scores. If you don't have any factories, check the log file; there should be a section for factory allocation, and it will tell you which countries got which factories. Depending on your tech and # of manufactories, you may not have qualified for any (like the GC, we hand out 35 or so, to the top ten [roughly] industrialized countries).

2) Some vague plans for literacy, but nothing concrete. IMHO this is the biggest problem the converted saves currently have (but it's balanced out a bit by one of the other problems, which is that we're entirely too generous with starting techs).

Looks I just got stiffed on factories (my techs were decently high, as were my manufactories). I'm sure I'll manage! :) I'll go ahead and continue as normal then, since literacy isn't going to be converted in the short term.

I'll follow this.

Excellent!

I've got most of the screenshots done for the pre-pause update; it's a question of editing and posting them. Could be up tonight, but more probably tomorrow.

The thing I noticed about these converter-project AAR's is that they mess up the names alot. Will this involve some editing to fix the problem in any way?

I don't intend on doing any large scale editing; seems to be very time consuming.

Interesting setup, to say the least.:p Good luck!

The thing I noticed about these converter-project AAR's is that they mess up the names alot. Will this involve some editing to fix the problem in any way?

Vicky2 has less and different countries available than EU3 does, so some name losses come with the territory, unless you mod Vicky (there is a mod available which does purport to add all of the EU3 tags, names, and flags). For instance, any of the French minors still in existence need to find names and tags from somewhere else, since no French minors exist in Vicky2.

That said, this particular game does seem to have encountered some extraordinary problems :) EU3 Spain should always be converted to Spain in V2 (and likewise for other obvious 1-to-1 mappings).

Vicky2 has less and different countries available than EU3 does, so some name losses come with the territory, unless you mod Vicky (there is a mod available which does purport to add all of the EU3 tags, names, and flags). For instance, any of the French minors still in existence need to find names and tags from somewhere else, since no French minors exist in Vicky2.

That said, this particular game does seem to have encountered some extraordinary problems :) EU3 Spain should always be converted to Spain in V2 (and likewise for other obvious 1-to-1 mappings).

You said Tripoli mapped to Spain, but I see Tripoli in Tripoli. What on earth is going on?

I have no idea why it mapped so weird.

Pre-pause update

Let's take a look at some of the intricacies of the Russian Republic, shall we?

We begin with the population of our fair Republic.

pppopulation.jpg

Note that Russians are our largest culture by a very small margin; we've got a goodly number of Beifaren as well. We are overwhelmingly Orthodox, however, so there's that.

Here's our natural resources!

ppproduction.jpg

We only lack three resources: Oil, Gold, and Rubber. We could well end up with the first two when the technological capabilities present themselves. We will take Rubber by conquest if we must.

Here's the ribbon at the top of the screen.

ppribbon.jpg

That's a mighty big army, isn't it? Let's take a closer look.

pparmynavy.jpg

I've been breaking down my armies some. As you can see, the combat width is 27 -- while there's no stacking penalty, like HOI, it does mean that you only get 27 units per ranks (which equates to 9 brigades) in any given battle. As you can see from some later screen shots, attrition is killing my troops in great numbers. That's why Medicine will be our first new tech!

ppfirsttech.jpg

As a whole, we're pretty well off with starting techs.

ppstartingtechs.jpg

Army and Culture are quite good; Industry will get a lot of work (as it always does) and the Navy might eventually.

Let's take a look at politics!

pppolitics.jpg

Exactly equal numbers of people are for and against slavery and that's the predominant issue. In fact, I'd suspect that every issue is equally divided! (Look at the economic issues, for example.) Makes sense from a converter perspective, and I'm not that worried about it.

What about world diplomacy?

ppdiplomacy.jpg

We've already got two wars, one which started as soon as I loaded the game and the other during my data-gathering phase of two weeks. The Great Powers are predominantly German (except for the falsely-German Lieppe-Detmold, which should be Spain). I am #1 by a comfortable margin, but this is entirely due to my gigantic army.

As you can see here, it's the biggest in the world!

pparmies.jpg

Two final screenshots. The first is of our richest provinces.

ppprovince.jpg

Second, and last but not least, is the use to which I put my NFs: namely, colonizing the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

ppnfs.jpg

All that remains now is to press the Spacebar. Who knows what adventures lie in wait for the Republic of Russia?

Very nice. I'm waiting until literacy and population convert. Soon. So sooonnnnnn.

As you can see, the combat width is 27 -- while there's no stacking penalty, like HOI, it does mean that you only get 27 units per ranks (which equates to 9 brigades) in any given battle. As you can see from some later screen shots, attrition is killing my troops in great numbers. That's why Medicine will be our first new tech!

It equates to 27 brigades, which would be 9 triangular divisions. At this stage in the game even with Medicine there aren't going to be many provinces that will handle 81,000 troops without severe attrition penalties. Mind you, since you've got 22 more brigades than the other seven GPs combined you can probably afford to take the losses more than they can.

That said, I shudder to think what an army that size will cost you if you have to go to war.

Second, and last but not least, is the use to which I put my NFs: namely, colonizing the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

Great minds think alike, it seems. I'm using both my starting NFs to colonise bits of North America, including BC.

Very nice. I'm waiting until literacy and population convert. Soon. So sooonnnnnn.

Literacy will be a nice addition; at least it's a level playing field with everybody at 10%, though.

It equates to 27 brigades, which would be 9 triangular divisions. At this stage in the game even with Medicine there aren't going to be many provinces that will handle 81,000 troops without severe attrition penalties. Mind you, since you've got 22 more brigades than the other seven GPs combined you can probably afford to take the losses more than they can.

That said, I shudder to think what an army that size will cost you if you have to go to war.

Great minds think alike, it seems. I'm using both my starting NFs to colonise bits of North America, including BC.

Yeah, I don't relish the army size either. I thought it was regiments and brigades, not brigades and divisions -- thanks for the clarification!

I'm working on the update for Novum Romanum Imperium now; I'll probably trade off, one then the other.