• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feedback​

Boris -- I'll record your vote.

Iwanow -- You're absolutely right -- I've never thought of it before, but in the roughly two dozen games of this I've played, I've never seen Italy formed. Not once.

Our run-off results thus far:

Tuscany 1.

Remember, only Tuscany, Naples, or Milan. On to what you're really here for: the update!

Chapter 22: All Western Europe, All the time! (Except the very beginning and very end)

January 1740: Tea in Bone.

February 1740: Switzerland gets some Scandinavian land from Norway. Man, I can pick a winning horse or what?

April 1740: Bohemia attacks Poland -- for some reason, Poland doesn't call me to arms. Oh well, their funeral. I think about jumping in, but decide to wait. They quickly seize Plock and then sign a peace with Poland -- I don't think I would have had time to do much.

November 1740: Bohemia eats Lithuania. Bohemia sure is getting ornery.

January 1741: Chandigarh converts.

March 1741: So does Dangla. Kashmir calls Russia a big fat jerk. Through my tears, I declare war on the impudent scum! We aren't fat, just big bordered!

chapter22march1741.jpg

June 1741: That'll teach you to honor your agreements, Sind.

chapter22june1741.jpg

August 1741: Yakutat cores.

September 1741: Serves you right, Kashmir.

chapter22september1741.jpg

July 1742: After finishing whatever it was I supposed to do (some kind of manufactory or colony, possibly?), God demands I remove Riga from the map. Consider it done!

chapter22july1742.jpg

Our good "friend" Burgundy honors. I will see to it that they pay!

August 1742: As our armies trudge off to Burgundy, I notice that Bohemia and Brandenburg are at war. This could prove very interesting.

September 1742: Tomasov is re-elected.

October 1742: Man, everybody is kicking Norway around. Burgundy takes Uteve and Sofala, wherever those are. They aren't in Scandinavia, so that's all I care. They also get a goodly sum of cash.

November 1742: Unemployed citizens in Obdorsk build a workshop. I hope they realize that workshops do not produce work, but rather tax income. I'm sure it's not important.

January 1743: Epifany Dubenski is our new leader, after Tomasov was found dead of boredom. Really, this war isn't hugely exciting. Dubenski is 9/9/3. That's the kind of leader I like!

February 1743: A move towards free subjects makes people from Kaffa vanish into thin air. Apparently, they were so free, they evolved into pure energy and departed from Earth. Hope that works out for them.

March 1743: The boring war is over. Seriously, I don't even know if I fought Burgundy troops; it took me a long time to get my armies into Burgundy,I occupied a bunch of provinces, Burgundy caves. Kind of anti-climatic.

chapter22march1743.jpg

With Riga freshly cored, God wants us to get some other colony. Colonists are dispatched.

November 1743: Qarqan converts. I promise, this update gets a lot more exciting very soon.

July 1744: I build another Embassy, this time in Chengde.

August 1744: Heilongjiang converts. I now can forget how to spell Helongwhatiyewhjiefn.

December 1744: Bohemia is defeated by Brandenburg, but gets off easy. They give up a core, release Meissen, and pay some cash. I will not stand for this! That's money I could have taken! War with Bohemia!

chapter22december1744.jpg

Check out my list of allies! The reason I attacked Bohemia now is because I knew that Brandenburg was unlikely to honor -- Brandenburg's time will come, but not yet. Poland dishonors the alliance. They too will be dealt with later.

February 1745: One of Bohemia's allies, Bosnia, has her army obliterated. However, since I once again did not put a general in command of my army, Bohemia does me a nasty turn of her own. Perhaps I should tattoo this on my forehead or something.

chapter22february1745.jpg

March 1745: The battle of Samogitia goes a little better, but those are still huge casualty rates.

chapter22march1745.jpg

Note that I've already started occupying Bohemian territory.

April 1745: Poland DOWs Bohemia. Why didn't you honor, you stupid Poles?

May 1745: Oman warns us. One of our diplomats wipes his nose with the warning.

June 1745: Adana cores. Bohemia offers White Peace. BAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!!!! We laugh in your general direction! Not at these casualties, though :( It's a good thing there are way more Russians than Bohemians.

chapter22june1745.jpg

July 1745: A bloodless victory for Russia! Note the army in Riga -- Bohemia has three armies now; the one I just beat, the one in Riga, and one other I can't find.

chapter22july1745.jpg

And now Bohemia has two! :D

chapter22july17452.jpg

September 1745: Switzerland insults us. However, it's another drunk Russian joke, so we just sigh and send them some money for new insult writers. Also, I don't want to lose this alliance just yet. The Bohemian army in Riga is running for its life -- cue the Benny Hill music. They're just a touch faster than me, so I get to chase them for a month.

October 1745: Panipat converts though. God wants me to break the Blockade of Bone. I send a couple of spare ships from the Pacific Fleet. We catch the army.

chapter22october1745.jpg

November 1745: They retreat into Kurland, thinking they are safe if they leave Russian soil. Poor, misguided fools.

chapter22november1745.jpg

December 1745: Bone is free from pirates -- now we are to have the largest big ship fleet in the world -- this is actually feasible. I'm about 20 ships behind GB. Every port I've got starts cranking them out.

February 1746: Bohemia surrenders the land they just won a couple of years ago to Poland, on top of Mazovia.

chapter22february1746.jpg

And here's the battle:

chapter22february17462.jpg

They decided to try another landing on the Baltic Sea -- a very silly move.

March 1746: Boundary Dispute on GB for Konya, one of their two provinces in Anatolia.

April 1746: Anatolia (the province) cores.

August 1746: Volhynia converts -- we and the Swiss are occupying Bohemia right now.

October 1746: This is about when we had the discussion about NIs -- I drop national bank and take Scientific Revolution. People from Kastamon move to Bone because of the destructive war that's several hundred miles away. Must be some loud cannon, I guess.

December 1746: We lose our core on Mutsu, but gain three on Hamma, Beirut, and Aleppo.

January 1747: Dubenski is re-elected.

August 1747: Kaurna cores. If you're wondering, Bohemia has a whole lot of high level forts and assaults don't do much against them (in fact, plenty of dead infantry can attest to that) without major artillery, which I don't have at the moment. We're still occupying.

October 1747: Delhi cores. That's pretty exciting!

April 1748: With 100% of Bohemia occupied, it is time to inflict a humiliating peace. The blue striped provinces are the cores they gave up, the bright green the territories I'm taking, and the other greenish color Silesia.

chapter22april17482.jpg

May 1748: To be a jerk, I send many spies to Warmia, which is totally isolated from the rest of Bohemia (and their only port now). It probably won't defect to me -- as long as it isn't Bohemian, I don't care. To be a double jerk, I DOW Poland, primarily for not honoring the call to arms. I use a "liberation" CB, but it's really border clean up and punishing the fools.

June 1748: Malwa warns us. You know, the last time Malwa warned us, they narrowly escaped being vassalized. They may not be so lucky next time, like the Polish army here.

chapter22june1748.jpg

August 1748: Here's something fun -- Milan (a Swiss vassal) is backing Tachibana for Emperor. Wouldn't that be something? The faction can't unite Japan, but it can be HRE? Four electors are going for Brandenburg, so that won't happen, but it's kind of a funny thought. Burgundy takes Cambray back from Flanders. Serves you right for breaking the alliance right after I freed you. Liaodong converts.

September 1748: The end of war with Poland.

chapter22september1748.jpg

October 1748: Sind converts.

December 1748: War with Great Britain over our core! I don't have any screenshots here, and I'll tell you why. Nothing happens in this war. Seriously. Remember my old strategy, wait until the British land, stomp their army, cause war exhaustion? Well, the Brits get wise and never invade.

January 1749: Tlingit cores. Naples is Britain's buddy -- I decide to bully them, because I can, and because I am under the mistaken impression the extra war score will make a difference. I crush their army and start occupying, but a lot of Naples is in the New World now. Some folks from Kharkov move to Menade.

March 1749: Some of the letters they send back tell us of coffee in Menade. Sweet, sweet coffee.

May 1749: I make Naples cough up Sicily and Byzantium -- that's about all I can do. They are independent states under the protection of Russia.

June 1749: The Hansa warns us. I accept peace with Great Britain, realizing it'll end up in White Peace in three years anyway, since the limeys are cowards and won't fight back.

July 1749: Byzantium breaks their alliance with us. Sometimes I don't know why I bother. Thar converts, and so does Udiapur.

September 1749: To close this decade with a bang, I DOW the Mamluks.

chapter22september1749.jpg

Everybody dishonors.

December 1749: I get a core on Abruzzi via Boundary Dispute. Later, Naples. Later.

And that's it for the 1740s. My hands are cramping from all the grading I've done today, so the State of the Republic will wait until tomorrow. Until then, keep voting, and have a great night!

Feedback​

Iwanow -- At some point (not yet) I do vassalize them, but as Boris said, they were too poor and not worth effort to annex them.

Boris -- You're right!

I will have the State of the Republic up tonight.

wow anexation of poland might end up historical after all :D

Could be! Working on the SOTR for 1750 as we speak. Next update might be a while -- at least one during the week, and if not, two during the weekend.

State of the Republic: 1750

Here is glorious Russia as of 1750 --

sotr1750russia.jpg

No neighbor is a serious threat to me -- I'm not sure if all of them ganged up at once if I'd have a serious threat.

Russia, her vassals, and colonies --

eu3maprus1750112.jpg

This lets you see my Pacific colonies. Russia is on five continents! All of them will expand, except Australia and North America. South America is out of the question.

The court --

sotr1750court.jpg

This is about as good as it can get.

The economy, monthly --

sotr1750economy.jpg

My colonies are no longer self-sufficient. :(

The income, yearly --

sotr1750income.jpg

Expenditures, yearly --

sotr1750costs.jpg

I sure did spend a lot on spies! Most of them were to try to dislodge Warmia from Bohemia. I've still got the mission to have the largest navy in the world, so that's why the fleet expenses are so high.

COTs, sorted by value --

sotr1750cot.jpg

Remember when I got all excited about Delhi? Yeah, it turns out Kutch and Bihar (mostly the latter) more or less neutralize it from being too huge. Still, five in the top 13 is pretty awesome, since I don't do much trade finagling.

Provinces, by tax --

sotr1750provincesbytax.jpg

Here, Delhi is no. 4, so it's still a quality province to own. Thrace and Chengde are tied, which I never saw happening -- Chengde is one of the only COTs in all of the Far East (Manchu has one for sure that I know about).

Provinces, by production --

sotr1750provincesproduc.jpg

In fact, all things considered, Delhi is my single most productive province, followed closely by Novgorod. If I remember correctly, the primary driver of production is population, along with manufactories and production buildings. Polotsk has my very first manufactory, which probably explains why it's #1 here. Notice how many have copper or iron -- you'd almost think I build a lot of Weapons Manufactories :D

And, the sum total of the economy --

sotr1750globalincome.jpg

This is almost unfair. If I were at max stability, I'd probably even be higher. Owning the vast majority of the planet's real estate seems to be a sound financial strategy.

The Russian army and navy --

sotr1750armynavy.jpg

I'd probably have more cavalry if I weren't obsessed with keeping the precious tactics bonus. I guarantee you, of my 76 ships, slightly less than half are actually war galleons -- I still have carracks out there, somewhere.

Russian arms technology --

sotr1750techs.jpg

It's actually sorted by government here, but as you can see, Russian arms are first class (navy, not so much).

Armies of the world --

sotr1750globalarmies.jpg

I can't believe Mali is still around!

Navies of the world --

sotr1750globalnavies.jpg

Within 10 of Great Britain in big ships, dominating in ships overall.

Generals of the world --

sotr1750generals.jpg

Impressive for Russia! Note that Bavaria and Bohemia are also highly skilled -- this is probably Bohemia was so tough to beat, while Burgundy was a push over.

Pies --

sotr1750pies.jpg

Non-Orthodox Christianity is almost gone. Russian -- leading exporter of Other (perhaps Potassium?). We're #1! Kind of!

Sliders --

sotr1750sliders.jpg

One thing I need to set for myself in the next AAR is clear goals for each slider -- I could be in much better shape, but I never had a long term plan.

Rulers --

sotr1750rulers.jpg

And finally, the world --

eu3maprus1750111.jpg

Keep voting for the next AAR -- I've got one vote!

Tuscany 1
Milan 0
Naples 0

Only the countries listed above are eligible.

The grand plan of the remainder of this AAR is as follows:
5 updates for 1760-1800
SOTR for 1800
1 update for 19th century
Endgame screenshots (no maps)
World Atlas (maps!)
Lessons learned for the AAR.

Hope everybody is enjoying this so far -- I've sure enjoyed writing it! Next update, as I said earlier, will probably be end of next week. I'm worn out from the exam grading -- if only there were some kind of break in the spring. Oh wait, I already had it. :mad:

Ive enjoyed, but why no monopolies.

I think I recently took a new center of trade -- the way the autosend works, until you have at least 5 merchants in every COT that's green, it doesn't go for monopolies.

Fantastic updates! Well done! :D

Tuscany. And clean those borders! Europe isn't too bad, but your Asian borders are hideous.

thats an impressive Russia you've constructed there, agree its now time to simplify the political structure of Asia ... as to next, I'll stick with Tuscany, still think the combination of vulnerability with potential power could be interesting to work through

OK, so I'll switch from Ferrara to...

I can diploannex the papal states on Jan 3rd 1446, if they accept. BB currently goes down -1.3 per year. Anybody any idea how to get Lombardia, preferably cored as well? In DW you need it to form Italy.

I'm curious how you'll fare...

Last edited:
Feedback​

A day with no typing has done me a world of good. In fact, I'm already working on the next update, which should be done shortly :D I figured my wife would want the PC, since I've been hogging it for grading (and reading Uriah's AAR on HOI 3 -- shhh! ;) ), but I also brought home a bunch of free books edited by the professor I TA for, which seems to have sated her for now.

blsteen -- Thanks! Your vote is recorded.

BootOnFace -- Yes sir! ::salutes:: Your vote is recorded.

loki100 -- Most of my expansion is in Manchu/Korean lands -- between my vassals and allies, I've gone as far as I want in India. Tuscany it is.

the_turtle -- What map mode are you in? Diplomatic mode? Only way I know of to get Lombardy is to take it from Milan -- that's why I, personally, was leaning towards Milan. Even if I unite the Italian Peninsula with everything except Milan, that's a war I'm not looking forward to (without allies, that is). In fact, it'll be my greatest early challenge. What do my other readAARs think? I have recorded your vote.

Deus eversor -- In the immortal words of Stephen Colbert, pick a side, we're at war! [Well, we will be soon.]

Iwanow -- Naples it is (sorry, three Naples does not mean three votes :D )

The current poll:

Tuscany 5
Naples 1
Milan 0

I might try a test game with Tuscany and see how it goes, since you all seem to be leaning that way. I've been playing a lot of Vicky 2 and haven't tried much of the new beta for DW. You still have another two weeks, though, so keep voting! The polls close next Friday, April 8, at midnight, US Central Time (-6 GMT).

Last edited:
Feedback​
the_turtle -- What map mode are you in? Diplomatic mode? Only way I know of to get Lombardy is to take it from Milan -- that's why I, personally, was leaning towards Milan. Even if I unite the Italian Peninsula with everything except Milan, that's a war I'm not looking forward to (without allies, that is). In fact, it'll be my greatest early challenge. What do my other readAARs think? I have recorded your vote.

It's the diplomatic map indeed. Milan has been severly decimated in my game and is down to four provinces. France took Parma (ouch), and Ferrara just inherited Modena (after the screenshot was taken). I was lucky in some alliance casus belli which I used to vassalize Pisa, Siena, Croatia, Ragusa and Aquileia. Urbino has been taken completely peacefully by allying, diplo-vassalizing and finally, diplo-annexing (two attempts).

The Tuscan economy really rocks. The only time I had more money lying around was in a Holland game.

Anyways, look forward to your AAR.

Chapter 23: Manchu: pushover or the biggest pushover?*

*I'm a big Stephen Colbert fan -- sue me.**
** Please don't sue me, I'm a graduate student and have very little money.

February 1750: Remember that war against the Mamluks? Already over.

chapter23february1750.jpg

Sinai is one of the few African COTs -- I am hoping it will be quite lucrative. The other two territories connect me with the rest of Russia. We discover (strike?) fish in Guam. We now have a bigger navy than even GB -- this would never happen with the new beta patch.

chapter23february17502.jpg

March 1750: We get a new mission -- conquer Datong. Manchu has it. Looks like God is spoiling for a fight. More fish in Sumba. Also, the Mamluks lose more territory, this time to Oman (they were at war with them at the same time as me), mostly farther south. Just like the Ottomans, take their COT and the rest crumbles.

May 1750: Hotan converts. A little infamy burn before war is always a good thing.

December 1750: Brandenburg makes a formal request. Russia formally requests Brandenburg to stick this request where the sun don't shine.

chapter23december1750.jpg

As soon as I take Livland out of the HRE, those penalties will disappear.

January 1751: Re-election for Dubenski. His campaign slogan: "Vote Dubenski in '51 -- honestly, you'll probably do worse if you don't."

February 1751: Hamadan cores.

March 1751: Jaisalmer cores.

April 1751: War with Manchu! Objectives: take Datong, and use excess infamy to look for COTs or just really rich provinces. Cripple Manchu as best I can.

Here's the balance sheet:

chapter23april17512.jpg

Superficially impressive numbers for Manchu (that's almost entirely them). I don't even think for a second to call my allies -- I think I can handle this one.

May 1751: Najd warns us.

June 1751: No generals in Europe: Thousands of casualties. No generals in Asia: dozens of casualties.

chapter23june1751.jpg

July 1751: Another Manchu army is Manchu-d up by Russia (it's the strangest thing -- I despise puns unless I'm telling them. Maybe I'm just a sadist :D)

chapter23july1751.jpg

August 1751: A line from one of my all time favorite RPGs, Anachronox, applies here:

Boots: You know what the difference between you and the you from five minutes ago is?
Detta: What?
Boots: The you from five minutes ago had five minutes to live.

[Seriously, it's a great game, same people that made Deus Ex. Very dark sense of humor, but it's fantastic. The music is great, the characters are phenomenal, and the story is breath-taking. The graphics are just a bit dated, even for the time it was new, so if you can run EU 3, you can run this. The end will make you mad, because they never made a sequel. Jerks.]

chapter23august1751.jpg

More of the same. Yawn.

chapter23august17512.jpg

October 1751: Majahpit agrees to peace -- the cheeky bastards invaded some of my Pacific Islands, so they get white peace early. Manchu will not be so fortunate.

February 1751: Manchu tries bringing along their friend, Assam -- the result is the same.

chapter23february1752.jpg

There were zero Russian casualties -- a recent ban to prevent Russians from drinking during battle in exchange for twice as much drinking after and before battle seems to be very effective.

April 1752: After a lot of walking, Russia has totally occupied Manchu (except that little island south of the Mainland -- name escapes me at the moment). Now, it is peace.

chapter23april1752.jpg

Jinan is a COT. Heijan connects Jinan to the rest of Russia.

May 1752: Our new mission: Convert Nis. This one is kind of irritating and takes a really long time. Also, we now border Mongol Khanate. Time for another box of Horde Snacks.

November 1752: One of the few non-Orthodox Christian provinces left, Trakai, converts.

March 1753: Some Europeans have a hankering for Indian cuisine, and ask Deccan. After the meal, they won't leave, bust up the restaurant, and generally make asses of themselves. Deccan calls the manager, Russia.

chapter23march1753.jpg

For the first time, Russia's old friend (more like the guy who crashes on your couch every couple of years, eats your food, and leaves in the middle of the night so he won't have to pay you back) Denmark shows up.

This is actually a great opportunity -- I've wanted to throw Austria out of the Balkans for a while. I can't inflict too much damage -- they've got quite a few overseas colonies.

May 1753: Sweden immediately realizes their terrible mistake and offers white peace. I hear they've got some fine game designers, so I accept. There's also some rebel sentiment in Manipur. You know what else is in Manipur? 30,000 Russian troops. Go ahead and try it.

August 1753: The first major battle between Russia and Austria, in Vienna. It's a doozy.

chapter23august1753.jpg

Honestly, these battles would be harder if the PC tried to get the tactics bonus.

September 1753: Judea is now Russian soil, as is Sidon. Denmark decides to leave (white peace), without paying their tab. You stay classy, San Di-- er, Denmark. (Another favorite move -- Anchorman!) We also have a another battle with Austrian forces, and again, it's quite bloody.

chapter23september1753.jpg

This more or less breaks the Austrian Army, and I start occupying their European possessions.

November 1753: Jodhpur converts.

January 1754: Land tech 50 and level 6 forts -- I never build a lot, but I do build some on the Bohemian border.

February 1754: Another battle with Austria -- Castille is in a separate war with them and has landed 25k troops in the Balkans -- I should probably peace soon before Castille takes my war score.

chapter23february1754.jpg

April 1754: Xia asks us to open our markets to their merchants. Certainly! You can try to dislodge my monopolies, but you might find it tricky.

May 1754: We have some epic art, and get 10 prestige. Granted, the only way I ever lose prestige is if I break an alliance, but hey, that's something.

June 1754: Datong converts.

July 1754: Austria peaces out.

chapter23july1754.jpg

Auvergne, alliance leader, signs a white peace shortly afterwards.

August 1754: Two Australian provinces, Wergaia and Woiworung, are now properly possessions of the Russian people. To commemorate this occasion, some unemployed civilians build a workshop for Barguzinsky. Yes! Another Siberian province is slightly less worthless!

September 1754: At some point, there is war with Naples. This is kind of the forgotten war -- I want my core on Abruzzi, and that's pretty much it. However, it is notable for a very rare naval battle, employing the entire Black Sea Fleet.

chapter23september1754.jpg

December 1754: Government 50 and another Idea. I wait on this one -- this is about when we had the discussion about what to take.

January 1755: "Dubenski '55 -- The price Russia pays for a stupid player who doesn't understand that it's diplomacy that burns off infamy faster and will he ever learn?" It's not very catchy, but it does get the job done.

April 1755: Bulgaria converts.

May 1755: After Naples is occupied (the Italian provinces, anyway), we adopt Smithian Economics.

August 1755: With the proper naval technology, we build an Admiralty in St. Petersburg (it's actually very nice -- I never went inside (they were moving a bunch of records or something and it was closed to the public).)

Somewhere between August and November: Peace with Naples for Abruzzi. I told you it was largely forgotten.

November 1755: Bohemia is beaten by Brandenburg again, coughing up Niederlausitz, among other things. Baroda converts.

May 1756: Liaoxi converts.

June 1756: Ordos defects from the Mongol Khanate.

November 1756: Deccan calls us in again, this time against some hungry neighbors.

chapter23november1756.jpg

Apparently Dubenski is quite the libertine -- St. Petersburg gets a little more revolt risk.

April 1757: With a bunch of territories occupied, Bihar immediately begs for white peace -- I don't have any infamy to spare, so I accept.

May 1757: Silistria and Heijan convert.

July 1757: A corrupt governor in Australia gets replaced -- it costs me a little cash, but it nullifies the penalty to revolt risk otherwise.

August 1757: Tsimshian cores.

September 1757: War with Parma. Again.

October 1757: Border Friction with Syria. War with Syria.

chapter23october1757.jpg

Not a terribly impressive group of enemies, is it?

February 1758: White peace with Persia -- I want my provinces from Syria, so they earn a reprieve.

March 1758: Another workshop in Deren for free. Perhaps if I didn't employ anybody, I'd never have to build buildings again! Syria is soundly defeated.

chapter23march1758.jpg

July 1758: Baroda and Surat core.

October 1758: Land 52 and Latin Cuirassers.

December 1758: Baluchistan gets off easy -- they just give up a core. Can't take land, too much infamy, same ol' same ol'.

February 1759: Chinook cores. Yet another new Embassy in Bulgaria.

April 1759: We replace our 5* diplomat with a 5* diplomat, after the old one dies.

And that ends this update! If I'm up to it, perhaps another update tomorrow, if not, this weekend.