• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feedback​

Leviathan -- Your vote's been registered.

Kid Charlemagne -- I remember the speech, which I was consciously channeling, but not who was in it :) Thanks for looking that one up for me. I do take a great big bite out of Persia, so it's not that I ignored Persia altogether.

Current votes:

Tuscany 3
Naples 2
Milan 2
Papal States 1
Genoa 1

I think I'll get to the update this evening. I was up way too late last night playing Vicky 2, or I would have done it earlier :wacko:

Feedback​

Razgriz -- Your vote is noted.

Iwanow -- I don't have a save for this time period; I had a marathon session and unless I had to quit, I didn't save, since it creates the temptations to rage-quit :) Not a problem in this game, but it has been in others. There will be a world map in 1750, however, so your patience will soon be rewarded :)

Vote so far:

Tuscany 4
Naples 2
Milan 2
Papal States 1
Genoa 1

Tuscany is gathering a lot of steam! I'm not going to set a deadline for votes yet -- between grading exams and working on course lectures for this summer I'm going to be busy for the next few days, and I might not have a lot of time to play EU 3. Any spare time I do have will be going to this AAR. :D

I know I promised an update tonight, but I'm about to hit the midnight server maintenance period -- this update is a little harder to prepare than others, because there's a lot going on. I counted something like 7 different wars in this update alone, including one major war that lasted for quite some time. Instead, my first goal after I wake up tomorrow will be to make sure we get an update. In the meantime, you may speculate amongst yourselves as to who I will war against. Keep voting!

Chapter 20: The wars of liberation against European tyranny​

This update begins where the last one ended -- war with the Mamluks (Tribal Conquest CB), the goal being to connect Judea and Alexandria, and, if possible, to take Sinai, a very lucrative COT.

February 1720: The Mamluk army is destroyed. Good way to kick off the 1720s!

chapter20february1720.jpg

Hovd converts in terror, thinking they might next. I try to explain to them that Russia is a republic and only brutally slaughters their enemies, but it falls on deaf ears.

April 1720: A remarkably quick war, at that! Sinai is still too expensive, war score wise, but it's a great target for the future.

chapter20april1720.jpg

Tannu Tuva converts.

May 1720: Crete, the OPM, decides to DOW the Mamluks. Wow, this I've gotta see.

June 1720: Karshi converts.

September 1720: GB takes cash and a core (Cuzco) from Burgundy. No territory added, but a respectable victory. Savoy wants military access -- that was the country I couldn't figure out last update.

October 1720: I've got low infamy and a hunger for conquest. No more picking on East Asians (for now :D). It is time to punish Bohemia! The theater of war:

chapter20october1720.jpg

Each stack has 35k soldiers. War goals: Volhynia (that province that's knifing Russia in the gut), and liberating as many countries as possible. I don't want to go much further west -- border cleanup is one thing, but I'm self imposing restrictions on European land. Russia will do her expanding in the East, as is her destiny, thank you very much.

The only problem: Switzerland is a little gun shy. I send her some cash to improve her opinion, but I don't think she'll honor.

November 1720: Waiting for diplomats (I really ought to have gone Aristocracy in the sliders earlier on, or at least picked diplomat leaders. Oh well, lesson for next time), I notice Ming has DOWed Manchu. Before you get excited, Manchu is an OPM at this point (Beijing).

January 1721: Gilan converts. I send some more cash to Switzerland. I'd really like a two front war.

March 1721: Orleans takes cash and cores from Trebizond. If I were the vindictive sort, I'd smash Trebizond into the ground. Well, I am the vindictive sort, but by the time I'm ready to do something about it, Trebizond is a meal for somebody else, possibly Byzantium or Morea. I've heard payback can be quite unpleasant.

October 1721: Border Friction CB on Persia -- tempting, but I'll pass. I've got another war to worry about! Since even at +200, Switzerland is a memory, I'll have to take my chances. As I feared, they dishonor. The tale of the tape:

chapter20october1721.jpg

The numbers look overwhelming, but most of my troops are in the Far East, Africa, or Central Asia -- what you saw in the above picture is pretty much it for the armies available. One thing I learned (although unfortunately not until after the AAR) is that I really need to be less eager about assaulting provinces. Sieges may take longer, but it's not the end of the world, and gives me those terrain bonuses. Russia does get an unusual ally -- Austria DOWs Bohemia the moment after I do.

November 1721: I've taken a couple of provinces before our first clash with Bohemian forces -- very bloody.

chapter20november1721.jpg

I'll need to let this army recover a bit -- if I weren't on the defensive in this battle I probably would have lost.

January 1722: Things have stalled a bit -- there's a huge battle going on in Mazovia (about 45k Russians vs. 26k Bohemians, but both about tapped on morale), and the Bohemians enter Russian land, at their old favorite (Carpathia), for the first time. They offer white peace -- hah! Never! This is for the oppressed peoples of Bohemia! If Russia benefits, that's just icing on the cake :D

The end of the Battle of Mazovia --

chapter20january1722.jpg

As you can see, progress is quite slow moving west. I'm always low on morale because I keep assaulting, instead of sieging. What I can say -- I'm a dolt :rolleyes:

February 1722: Vorotinski is a busy general -- he takes the fight to Bohemia, who is trying to reclaim their occupied territory. One of the first huge successes of the war, given the casualty ratio.

chapter20february1722.jpg

April 1722: A brief intermission shows a rousing success for Crete against the Mamluks -- no territory, but some cash and a whole lot of broken treaties. Good for them! A bunch of people flee Beirut for Tsimishan.

May 1722: Bohemia offers the first substantive peace -- a bunch of cash, some cores, and freeing Frankfurt. Nice, but I want more. MOAR!!! Manchu annexes Ming.

June 1722: A warning from Khorasan. An interesting decision -- perhaps I can make use of this later.

July 1722: The eternal bond between Russians and the Swiss is restored -- they won't answer my call for this war, so I don't ask.

August 1722: Bohemia accepts peace with Austria -- I didn't catch the terms, but this does free up more troops to come east.

September 1722: Hammah converts. That's the only good news for this month.

chapter20september1722.jpg

My army in this battle was two armies -- they each pick a different province to retreat to. One survives, the other is summarily crushed. I get a new leader, who's a tremendous bureaucrat but a waste of space at everything else (8/3/3) -- I promise, I do start choosing diplomats at some point.

October 1722: This has been a grueling war -- with the loss of that army, I've only got three armies in theater, none at full strength. One is licking their wounds in Ostpreussen, the other two you can see, but see the massive Bohemian army between them? I've gotten all I can from this war, and I issue my peace terms.

chapter20october1722.jpg

The pinkish region is what Poland will take. This is a huge victory and effectively neutralizes Bohemia as a serious threat -- I'll have to take some time to rebuild my armies before I can pick any more fights with Europeans. Except for Parma, apparently. What is Switzerland's deal with Parma? That's not even their mission, and I don't think they have any cores. Perhaps it is a war of the cheeses.

December 1722: A workshop is constructed in Edirne by some unemployed citizens. Note to self: if I have unemployed citizens, clearly my army isn't big enough yet.

October 1723: Uighurstan cores.

November 1723: Three Manchurian provinces core -- Yakesa, Hinggan, and Heilongjiang.

March 1724: Some bored farmers build a constable in Deren. I think I hear the sounds of a new call for troops!

May 1724: Border friction CB against Persia again. A move towards Aristocracy creates a mini-revolt in St. Petersburg of revolutionaries. Honestly, I thought about letting them win so I could have a revolutionary republic. It would have made things way more interesting. In the end, I decided against it -- I think that was the wrong move.

June 1724: I add Poland to my SOI. I also make use of my border friction CB -- my soldiers need an easy war to restore their spirits after the brutal war against Bohemia.

chapter20june1724.jpg

Najd, Morocco, and Khorasan all come to Persia's aid. I call Iraq and Khiva.

August 1724: Time to colonize Papua, according to God.

September 1724: Urumqui converts -- no sign of the Persian army.

October 1724: Land 43 and new infantry! I don't remember which unit I chose -- either Bluecoats or Frederickian infantry.

December 1724: Najd wants white peace. At this point, I'm occupying Persia and Khorasan.

December 1725: Now I have to colonize Demak.

June 1726: Persia's got a lot of territory and I want the best peace deal possible. Sure does take a long time. In other news, Ramazan defects, taking three of the British provinces in Anatolia. The dinner bell rings, and I start salivating, but that's for another time.

July 1726: Phase 1 of the war in Persia ends.

chapter20july1726.jpg

Khorasan's land is nigh worthless and has plenty of mountains. It's better to have them as my undying servants than as part of Russia.

War with Persia ends. I thought about taking more land, but the thought of uniting more of Anatolia under Russian rule was too much to pass up. This also puts me at war with the Oirat Horde, which means they're soon gone :D Iraq-i-Arab is a nice province, too.

chapter20july17262.jpg

July's a busy month -- end one war, start another.

chapter20july17263.jpg

Brandenburg doesn't honor. I didn't think they would, but it did make my heart palpitate just a tiny bit.

August 1726: Transylvania warns me.

September 1726: Instead of checking, I blindly re-elect Mefodiy Khovanski, despite his complete ineptitude at all things non-bureaucratic. Wondering how I could be so stupid, a bunch of people leave Bryansk for Papua.

November 1726: Only two Anatolian provinces left (held by the British)!

chapter20november1726.jpg

To celebrate, I rename Constantinople to the old Russian name for it -- Tsargrad.

February 1727: I discover naval supplies in Papua -- with the colonization of Demak, I get a new mission: build a fine arts academy in Vilna.

April 1727: This is a nice little event, especially the moves towards innovative. I'm getting loads of missionaries now, and I'd like the tech boost more.

chapter20april1727.jpg

I think it's triggered by PotA, but I won't swear to it.

July 1727: I move the Embassy to Roma. Surely I won't take any more land there, right? I carefully examine a new opponent -- with some successful Russian spies, I discover that Burgundy has foolishly sent most of their army to their colonies in North America. It may be time to settle accounts.

November 1727: Kashmir warns us. I start moving troops west. There's a tax revolt in Erseum -- I'll go ahead and cut taxes for a bit, I don't want to worry about rebels right now.

March 1728: Kenai cores.

September 1728: Good news, everyone! Bohemia gives us military access to get to Switzerland that much faster! Wait a minute, that actually is good news!

January 1729: The hated Burgundians are within my sights -- WAR!!!!!

chapter20january1729.jpg

You can see my four armies in the picture. They're all 30k -- I cut some cavalry out for the tactics bonus. All of my allies honor (hurray!) Unfortunately, Brandenburg honors too, and brings along her German minor pals. Looks like we've got ourselves quite a war.

February 1729: A reform is passed for the HRE -- they never even get close to unifying, which is honestly the one country I'd be mortally afraid of.

March 1729: It would appear the Burgundians are not as tough as Bohemians.

chapter20march1729.jpg

Too tame for you? How about an even bloodier battle?

chapter20march17292.jpg

April 1729: I chase down and kill the army in the above screen shot. The Papal States is now in Germany -- I'm not sure why, since there's no Pope any more :D Shocking news! Switzerland actually gets something from Parma! A bunch of cash and a free Sardinia. Good for you guys, now help me with this war!

Of course, I don't exactly need help :D I'm running low on screenshots for this post, but I eliminate 30k Burgundy troops with only 1.5k casualties -- 20 to 1 casualty ratios are always exciting! I kill another army too, but this one is a mere 10:1 casualty ratio.

May 1729: Cloth in Demak, and another huge victory for Russian forces. This is incredibly satisfying. Pyotr Tomasov, hero of the Russian liberation war of Burgundy, reduces a 30k army to virtually nothing with only 4k Russian losses.

June 1729: Chandigarh and Panipat core. Tomasov strikes again, wiping out the remnants of the army he beat in May. He's six fire, one shock, one maneuver.

July 1729: For an encore, he wipes out 6k Frankfurt troops for a couple hundred casualties, then crushes another 25k Burgundian troops. Can this guy ever lose?

chapter20july1729.jpg

Yes. Yes he can. Brandenburg finally shows up, and they show up in strength. There's a lot more where this came from. Worse, Tomasov dies. We shall not forget your sacrifice, brave general!

August 1729: I demand tribute from Burgundy -- Brandenburg will not be easy, so I want to focus on them. I take Sind and free Hainaut and Flanders, cutting a wide swath in northern Burgundy. I even get a nice little consolation prize -- Riga's not Burgundy's vassal any more!

chapter20august1729.jpg

I also sell peace to the Palatinate for a mere 50 ducats. What a deal! Brandenburg offers white peace, which surprises me -- I accept. There will be time to deal with them later.

November 1729: Sidon converts, and with that, we end the update.

The next update will probably be next week, unless I finish with grading exams early.

Those are some mighty bloody battles there! Shame you had to face Uber von Bourgogne - I had a similar experience in my game as Russia. In the end I just let him siege my provinces while I took his.

And ouch, that last battle. Shame your hero died, but he served them well!

Feedback​

Ashantai -- Honestly, Burgundy wasn't too tough -- Brandenburg was. I think Burgundy slacked off with the tech, since they seemed a lot easier than Bohemia. They also weren't as diligent with fort building as the Bohemians were, probably came from having lots of vassals. Now, HRE Brandenburg with near infinite manpower, fighting with a much shorter supply line, that's a different story.

Boris -- For this update, all I wanted was Sind and to weaken Burgundy -- if I go to war again (not trying to be suspenseful, I honestly don't remember), it's to weaken them further. There's no low-hanging fruit to grab, and I don't want to get into the Atlantic Coast of North America is I can avoided. Livland was a nice bonus I hadn't anticipated on.

loki100 -- More countries will have their turn later, I promise you. Brandenburg is among those who need to be punished for interfering with Russian business.

There can actually only be one choice: Ferrara!

(But I would love reading about Tuscany or Naples as well...)

I wouldn't want to get into any wars with Ulm, now ... I'll add it to the list :D

Tuscany 4
Naples 2
Milan 2
Papal States 1
Genoa 1
Ferrara 1

Started a new Vicky 2 game as Ukraine (released from Russian Empire) -- it's been very weird. I ended up taking chunks of the Middle East because I can't really go anywhere else -- Austria's got cores, but I'm much too weak for that. I was, ever so briefly, a Great Power, but subsequently lost the status and have never regained it. I've settled into a comfortable groove of vacillating between 13-18 in the world -- I can't really colonize all that well, so Secondary Power status is fun to have, but not all that useful. The other interesting thing is that every GP wants me in their sphere, but they all block each other. Still, a great way to learn how to start with a weaker country and build it up quite robustly.

Chapter 21: Tales of liberation and subjugation

I found I had more time today than I thought, so I figured, why not update? :D

February 1730: Two new cores -- Kastamon and Smyrna.

September 1730: A new leader -- Bogan Yalichev is slightly better than the worst possible leader, at 6/3/3.

January 1731: I pick up a 5* missionary -- I've been a bit lax at recording these, I'll try to start doing so again. I decide it's time for the first true war of liberation -- a war not for territory, but to break an evil country's hold on power in a region of interest to Russia. Our target? Bihar.

chapter21january1731.jpg

Korea dishonors, Malwa strategically stays home, so it's Bihar and Nepal vs. Russia. I wonder who will win? :D

March 1731: I start occupying Bihari territory. Meanwhile, Sinope cores.

April 1731: Karaman converts. That core sure helped.

June 1731: Angora converts too. The wool will be properly Orthodox, now, not some papist wool that will slavishly obey the Pope, who insists on existing even though he has no authority.

July 1731: The first battle between Russian and Bihari forces goes well, as you might expect. (Screenshots for this war will be rare -- there's a huge war coming at the end of this update, and you'll be glad I skimped out on these screenshots instead of those.) 12k Bihari casualties vs a couple hundred of Russian soldiers, possibly passed out from drinking too much. It's easy to get hammered when your opponent has such low quality troops. We also have the Kutch Tea Party, which increases revolt risk by 1. That was random and rather pointless, but kind of fun, I guess. Hamid converts.

September 1731: Angered at the chucking of tea into the harbor, the Russian army obliterates a Bihari one with minimal casualties.

chapter21september1731.jpg

October 1731: Another army follows suit, and takes no casualties despite not having a general. I guess they were just out for a morning stroll?

chapter21october1731.jpg

January 1732: Yet again, the Oirat Horde disappears, giving me Iraq-i-Arab. I'm almost positive they're gone for good this time.

February 1732: I'm to colonize Bone now.

March 1732: Another leaderless mob utterly destroys a Bihari army. This whole "leadership" thing must be overrated.

April 1732: Border Friction on Oman. Eh, nothing too thrilling there.

December 1732: The final battle between Russia and Bihar is another huge triumph.

chapter21december1732.jpg

It's all about occupying their territory now, which is considerable.

July 1733: Some Armenians head to Papua on permanent vacation.

August 1733: That was all I needed to find out that Naval Supplies will be produced there.

February 1734: Agricultural Revolution in Kursk.

August 1734: Just before peace, a look at the Bihari situation.

chapter21august1734.jpg

When I said final battle, I meant final battle. Not a single soldier remains.

Check this out: 97 prestige :eek:

chapter21august17342.jpg

Finally, the new India. Anything that's bright is an ally, and thus ex-Bihari.

chapter21august17343.jpg

September 1734: A new leader, this time 7/3/3. Not inspiring, but better than nothing.

January 1735: Kuruk Tag cores, while Uighurstan converts.

February 1735: Livland converts.

March 1735: Austria takes a huge bite out of the Hansa, all North American colonies. Switzerland asks for help against Bavaria, so I agree. I don't even think there are any battles between Russians and Bavarians -- they occupy Switzerland and I occupy Bavaria.

May 1735: Bohemia DOWs Brandenburg. Not sure that's a great move, but we'll see.

November 1735: Government 47 and Constitutional Republic -- removes all barriers on slider movement, gives you 2.20 magistrates a year base, and a very nice 20% bonus to production efficiency. This will be my government for the rest of the game.

January 1736: Thar gets agriculturally revolutionized.

March 1736: Naples warns us.

July 1736: I've already regained the stab hit for changing government -- less than six months! Now God wants me to subjugate Siena. I've got time and a bored army sitting in Rome -- why not?

chapter21july1736.jpg

Corsica and Urbino honor -- Urbino is alliance leader. Parma and Pisa join the mix too. I call in the Swiss.

December 1736: Dongla and Amdo core.

January 1737: Urbino calls in Orleans, who calls in Avignon. A lot of minors trying to dogpile on me here. The only battle of the entire war (apart from my earlier stomping of Siena's army).

chapter21january1737.jpg

February 1737: I hire a 6* Alderman that happened to come on to the market.

March 1737: Ostpreussen cores -- it sure does take a long time to siege these Italian forts.

June 1737: Two wars clearly isn't enough: let's start a third with Persia (Border Friction)!

chapter21june1737.jpg

July 1737: After Siena falls and is subjugated, I send White Peace to Orleans, their new alliance leader. One war down, two to go.

November 1737: That's the Persian part of this war done -- I picked up Hormuz because it's a COT. Oman is alliance leader, though, so there's more to be done.

chapter21november1737.jpg

December 1737: On the last day of 1737, another province unlocks the mysteries of agriculture -- Bryansk.

January 1738: Syria and Baluchistan white peace. I move my NF to Heilongjiang -- I want more Korean territory and I'd like to get it infamy free.

February 1738: Despite, or perhaps because of, the agricultural revolution, 600 people from Bryansk move to Demak.

April 1738: Chengde, my Chinese COT, cores.

June 1738: Wallachia warns me. Switzerland got what it wanted (whatever that was), so the war with Bavaria is over.

September 1738: Perhaps related to fallen hero Pyotr Tomasov, Epifaniy Tomasov is quite the catch as a leader -- 8/9/3. He'll probably stick around for a while.

October 1738: The Swiss now want me to help with Norway. I can't be fighting all of your wars for you, Switzerland. I still accept. Oman buys peace from me for 200 ducats, so I'm down from three wars to one. I also pick up a 5* diplomat -- even with 100 cultural tradition, you're not guaranteed to get a 6* advisor. My new mission from God after Siena was to subjugate Kurland -- turns out they have quite the powerful protector.

chapter21october17383.jpg

I'm really just after Kurland -- I have no designs on Brandenburg territory, but they're ready for a fight.

November 1738: Mazandaran converts, an auspicious beginning.

December 1738: Apparently, Ansbach wants no part of the war and immediately offers peace for 17 ducats. I accept. I also take out Kurland -- it's momma bear Brandenburg and her buddies vs. Russia now.

chapter21december1738.jpg

At least my next task is peaceful -- colonize Guam.

January 1739: Well, that went badly.

chapter21january1739.jpg

Brandenburg soldiers are made of stern stuff, it would seem. This is with me on the defensive too.

February 1739: A strategic retreat, but a victory in terms of casualties -- I retreat into Bohemian territory where Brandenburg can't follow.

chapter21february1739.jpg

The general, Mefodiy Yalichev, will end up being my leader for most of the war -- Brandenburg has some mighty big doomstacks, so I merge my three armies into one doomstack of my own.

March 1739: Ajam converts. So far, most of the fighting is either on Russian or Polish soil. Mikhail Bibikov, a skilled commander in his own right, leads a glorious victory -- the last easy one for Russia.

chapter21march1739.jpg

April 1739: We get an easy white peace exit from Norway -- one war is enough for now. Brandenburg offers white peace. I got greedy and declined -- in retrospect, I would have saved countless Russian lives had I accepted.

Here's a nasty one:

chapter21april1739.jpg

May 1739: Another strategic withdrawal -- into Poland this time, but Brandenburg could follow if they wanted to.

chapter21may1739.jpg

June 1739: I regroup in time, though, and score a victory -- to Yalichev and his men go the spoils.

chapter21june1739.jpg

A day later, Brandenburg offers peace -- I am wiser this time and accept. Portents of further conflict appeared to go badly, so I withdrew.

[I made a save game here to see, for fun, what would happen if I kept going. It turns, out Brandenburg kills my entire army (in reality four of them) and starts occupying St. Petersburg. :eek: Back to our scheduled in AAR, already in progress.]

July 1739: Reeling from our epic war, Russians are heartened to hear that at least they'll have more fish from Papua. Since, you know, growing up by the Baltic Sea, you never have fish. Wusuli (roughly modern day Vladivostok) converts. Hormuz does too, which makes the merchants of Russia squeal with glee.

September 1739: Land 47 -- we take the opportunity to update our artillery with the new "Royal Mortar," promptly renamed the "Republican Mortar." We do not truck with kings in the Russian Republic!

So ends the update. I'm going to start working more on updating my image links, in five days alone my photobucket account is at 20% bandwidth used :eek: Next update will be next week sometime, unless I'm totally done with my exams tomorrow, a not inconceivable event.

did you call the Swiss to fight so they can bash in Parma's head?

Of course :D I wish I knew why the AI for Switzerland kept charging after Parma every five years.

In great news, I have 99% purged this thread of the inferior photobucket pics! There are about 6 that for some reason I don't have on my PC -- I could download them from photobucket and move them to image shack, but it's not really worth that much fuss. If you do use imageshack, I highly recommend their mass uploader -- it makes pasting links a snap, particularly since I detest the UI on their website.

Here's the list of the Italian countries again --

Tuscany 4
Naples 2
Milan 2
Papal States 1
Genoa 1
Ferrara 1

This leaves, I think, Siena, Corsica, Sardinia, Venezia, and Aquelia. From here on out, you can only vote for one of the above countries unless you have a tremendously compelling reason to do otherwise. At some point (not yet), we'll have a runoff -- I'd like a clear majority for one country or another. Feel free to campaign, by all means, but let's keep it civil. :)

Cool...

I stopped using Photobucket for my pictures when my bandwith kept getting full...I use Imgur, but I was thinking of switching to Imageshack.

As long as you use their mass uploader, I highly recommend Imageshack!

Two things. One, the next update (and state of the Republic) will be either later tonight or early next week. Second, if somebody wouldn't mind, I'd like to get my feet wet with making mods, in particular events, decisions, and tag switching. The immediate goal is to have an independent Ukraine in 1836 for another AAR I'm mulling over, including the Austrian and Russian cores in Vicky 2 -- I doubt I can just release it from Russia and Austria separately -- or can I? For the Italian AAR, I'd like to create some new decisions, including one to form the Novum Romanum Imperium, perhaps add some missions for additional cores and the like. I doubt vanilla DW anticipated a new Roman Empire :D I'm essentially looking for a quality tutorial or two, so if one exists, pointing me in the right direction would be terrific. Otherwise, advice is always appreciated!

I vote for Tuscany. It nearly formed Italy in my Switzerland game. (it just wouldn't conquer Rome, which it had a core on.)

The new poll (with BootOnFace's vote):

Tuscany 5
Naples 2
Milan 2
Papal States 1
Genoa 1
Ferrara 1

Now is a good time for the run-off, I think -- the three choices with more than one vote are Tuscany, Milan, and Naples. So, starting from the time of this post, everybody who voted (as well as everybody who didn't) gets to vote again, but for one of these three choices. You are not bound by your previous votes -- the only criteria is that you choose Tuscany, Milan, or Naples. I'm going to recuse myself from the election (unless there's a tie).

For this AAR, an update will probably be done tonight -- I can only grade so many exams before I go crazy (well, crazier, I suppose), along with a State of the Republic. Until then, the polls are open! I will close them next Friday, April 8, at midnight, US Central Time (-6 GMT).

Last edited: