• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I say end the endless city!

show the western world who is boss here!

hmh russian oceania, rusisan america... i just love this, slavic countries in distand new world, ahhhh my dreams
dude go forward! this is fun in an almost pervert way for me and i hope its for you too :D

well yes, but its fun ... its one way of ending the Catholic-Orthodox schism.

as to the next AAR, Tuscany looks intriguing, potentially very strong but with lots of rather greedy neighbours?

Schism was from the orthodox not catholics, remember it, so it is not the schism ending.

I suppose that the best country is... BRANDENBURG!!! Play it and form Prussia with it... if you will i can give you some hints...

Schism was from the orthodox not catholics, remember it, so it is not the schism ending.

Well, that depends on your POV. From our Orthodox point of view, See of Rome theology broke from the agreed way, prompting the schism.

Well, that depends on your POV. From our Orthodox point of view, See of Rome theology broke from the agreed way, prompting the schism.

That is not true. POV is POV but not always true. Whatever we shouldn't disscuss about it here cause mods will be mad... If you want we could disscuss it in the Offtopic forum... anyway it is just like this - the orthodox just declined the rule of pope over church, and all the theology thing is just bullshit because the theology differences are none for true.

Whatever i dunno what is this whole "Pentarchy" thing anyway...

EDIT: I red and i think that you should too in wiki it is good to know such things... anyway to realy restore pentarchy you should need also alexandria, judea and antioch... why? - read the article in wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentarchy

Also it should be impossible for russia as Russia sees Moscow as the main authority of church. And it is not the same as greek orthodox... Totaly different.

Whatever i wrote too much about it... if you wanna disscus we can go to ot forums... Oh and to mod's - if you will want to delete this posts (about orthodox's), please just move it to OT forums ;)

Last edited:
Feedback​

Wow, tons of feedback! Always heartening to see.

Iwanow (1) -- My thinking, at the time, was my concentration of forces in theater. I know it's stupid, but it's hard for me to break my reliance on offensive attacks instead of waiting them out with attrition. Eventually, I learn, but not quickly enough, as you'll seen in some future updates. I wanted Rome for three reasons: 1) It's rich, 2) The bonus, and 3) The Pentarchy. I think Russia forming the Pentarchy is new in DW -- I did it with Byzantium in HttT but never saw an option as Russia.

Ashantai -- Genoa could be interesting, but perhaps a little too interesting. I'll still put it on the list, and if there's a huge clamor, I'll consider it.

loki100 -- Another vote for Tuscany!

Deus Eversor -- My second game ever of EU 3 IN was with Muscowy -- it's fun to see how far I've come and how far I've yet to go. It got kind of dull in the 19th century -- I don't do a lot of expanding because I'll never get the cores -- but up until then, it was fun being the big kid on the block :D

Iwanow -- I've done Brandenburg --> Prussia --> Germany --> HRE in HttT, but that could be fun in the future. I'm focused on Italy for the moment, though :)

Boris -- It does take a while, and I'm not sure if it's in the next update or not.

Iwanow/4th Dimension -- Some interesting stuff re: the Orthodoxy debate. Since my field of research is the twentieth century in Russia/USSR, I won't say too much, other than to agree to take this to the OT forums :)

The current voting:

Papal States 1
Tuscany 2
Genoa 1
Milan 1 <-- That's my vote, I think you guys are making this too hard on me :D

I'm playing a Vicky 2 game as the USA right now (still learning the ropes of that one). Speaking of Vicky 2, is there a quality save game converter yet? Anyway, I figure I'll take whatever votes I've got at the end of the week and go with that, although I'd like to finish this AAR before I get too involved in another one :D

Next update will probably be early this week!

No converter I know of...sorry!

Feedback​

Deus Eversor -- I gathered you were referring to Rome for this AAR, not the next one (as in smash Rome good!). In any case, I'll count you as pro-Milan for now unless you tell me otherwise.

Ashantai -- That's a shame. I know, or at least I've heard, that such a beast existed for the original Vicky. Was it user content or Paradox supplied? It'd be a hoot to try the Russian Republic in Vicky 2, if I could.

The votes (at present)

Milan 2
Papal States 1
Tuscany 2
Genoa 1

I'll have an update tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Feedback​

Iwanow -- I'll register your vote! At least you didn't make me go for Corsica :D

Milan 2
Tuscany 2
Papal States 1
Genoa 1
Naples 1

Keep them coming! I'm working on the new update now -- should be done in about an hour or so.

Last edited:
Chapter 19: The quest for the Pentarchy

January 1710: With Bill of Rights, we get liberation on all countries that have eaten at least one other country. The good news is that I can avoid stab hits this way -- the bad news is that it doesn't discount for province taking, which is what I plan on doing with it. I just promise to liberate them. If that means liberating them into Russia, then so be it :D

chapter19january1710.jpg

May 1710: Naval supplies in Chinook. Alexandria converts -- one step closer to sweet Pentarchy.

August 1710: Qarqan cores.

January 1711: Bolgar converts. I've had Bolgar for over two hundred years -- what was the missionary doing? You're supposed to be spreading the word of God (mostly for tax purposes), not playing chess, or cards, or whatever with the natives.

March 1711: Samogitia converts.

October 1711: Lucrative Trade -- +30 to trade tech for the next 10 months or so.

February 1712: Bukhara converts.

April 1712: Switzerland still desperately wants Parma -- I join and white peace almost immediately afterward.

May 1712: I get a Boundary Dispute on Persia for Gilan. I DOW (but have no screen shot :rolleyes:). Oman and Khorasan are called in by Persia; I call in Khiva and Iraq.

June 1712: Boundary Dispute with Bulgaria for Burgas. It'll keep for now.

August 1712: Yet another Boundary Dispute -- I decline it, but I forget why. The only ones I've been declining up to this point are cores on Swiss territory. I assume this is similar.

September 1712: Mighty Nepal warns us. If this is supposed to be a deterrent, they'd better have nuclear weapons.

October 1712: The Spread of Disease event fires again. Another small boost to colonist chance and overseas income for 50 ducats. Good bargain. I also crush a Persian army.

chapter19october1712.jpg

Question: do you get +1 warscore for every battle, or is it based on casualties, like Vicky 2?

November 1712: After such a demonstration of Russian power and technology, Khorasan begs for white peace. I accept. I also kill the other Persian army, to a man, with correspondingly modest casualties.

chapter19november1712.jpg

April 1713: A bunch of people leave Siberia for California -- yeah, I'd do that too. A bunch of merchants get mad because I'm researching trade tech. It's cheaper to ignore the research than to take the stab hit, although I can recover stability quite respectably at this point (about 6-9 months), even without many churches. Finally, the war with Persia ends.

chapter19april1713.jpg

For once, the Oirat Horde doesn't immediately get eaten. Rather, it has to wait until I get more territory from Persia.

June 1713: Agricultural Revolution in Tver.

November 1713: Hotan and Ladakh core.

January 1714: Wiradjuri will produce wool. Great! I have no idea where that is, but hey, free wool! Judea converts -- that just leaves Roma for the Pentarchy.

February 1714: Samarkand converts.

April 1714: Korea DOWs Ming. My, aren't we getting a bit big for our breeches? Castille has Mecca now -- it'd be fun to have, but it's not a priority.

May 1714: Anatolia converts.

June 1714: Agricultural Revolution in Kiev. The two key triggers for this (which I only now looked up :rolleyes:) are how innovative you are and whether or not you have an NF there. It's supposed to have a MTTH of 5000 months, with up to a 75% drop if you're less than -2 on Innovative/Narrowminded and it's on or bordering your NF. FYI. Ereskujvar loses its core.

July 1714: War with Bulgaria! It took me a while to get an army in position and burn off enough infamy so that I could annex the whole country in one go.

chapter19july1714.jpg

Yes, Bulgaria has no allies and has almost no army. I don't know how I'll sleep tonight, but I'll try.

September 1714: And Bulgaria becomes part of Russia.

chapter19september1714.jpg

I move my NF to Roma to help with conversion. I also find that the Bulgarians insisted on having their own COT. I destroy it.

September 17, 1714: The hearts of Russians everywhere are broken, as our glorious leader, Yulian Senyavin dies. :( Our new leader, Mefodiy Golitsyn, is 9/4/5. He was supposed to be a diplomat! :mad:

October 1714: Beirut converts.

February 1715: In one fell swoop, the northern Japanese island becomes cored. On the other hand, rebels occupied one of my provinces (probably Chinook), so a new rebellion starts in Judea. It's quickly suppressed.

March 1715: The Kurils core.

November 1715: Sivas and Erserum core. Korea white peaces with Ming. I'm actually impressed they did that well.

December 1715: Minority Prospers fires for the first time. It's a nifty little event generated by Bill of Rights -- +10% Local Tax to a province (in this case, Bukhara) that's not your culture for four months. It's pretty frequent -- I'd say I get one once every three months or so. This is the only time I'll mention it, since it gets out of hand, like Benign Neglect used to (although that's trailing off now). Ostpreussen converts in celebration.

November 1716: Interesting. An army lands in Anatolia, kills the British, and starts taking their provinces. The flag is red with a white cross, country is purple. Who is this? I'm pretty sure they fail, but I'm surprised to see somebody else mess with Anatolia. Mus converts, perhaps in terror.

January 1717: A Thracian merchant is shipwrecked.

April 1717: Hey look, the five years must be up. War with Parma again!

May 1717: Agricultural Revolution in Smolensk. Wallachia warns me. That's not fair, I haven't been at war for years now!

June 1717: Burgas converts.

July 1717: I lose the core on Trakai.

August 1717: I gain cores on Aleut and Dornod.

September 1717: Some bored farmers build a constable in Sakhalin. Thanks guys!

February 1718: Hurray! Roma converts!

chapter19february1718.jpg

We still need Aleppo to convert for the mission, though.

May 1718: Delhi converts -- that should boost that COT nicely.

August 1718: Government 41 and a new idea -- we take Patron of the Arts.

November 1718: We re-elect Golitsyn. For some time, I labor under the false impression that Admin burns off infamy, not diplomacy. Good for taxes, though. If you notice I keep making stupid leader choices (like re-electing Golitsyn), that's why.

February 1719: Boundary Dispute on Khiva for Marv. Since Khiva's my vassal, I can't do much about this yet.

August 1719: The Pentarchy officially fires, with Aleppo converted. Check out the bonuses!

chapter19august1919.jpg

Even more fun, I get a core on Alexandria (from the mission).

December 1719: And this update comes to end. I think I declared war on the Mamluks -- I say I think because I didn't take a screen shot after this -- it could be that I was mulling it over and decided against it. In any case, you'll find out in the next update!

A Russian Republic reforming Orthodox Pentarchy. Now that's not something you really expect.

I'm having a really sloooooow day here at work, so I just spent the past couple hours reading through this AAR. I have to say - well done! :) Very well-played so far, and I enjoy your writing style. It's clear and direct, with just enough humor thrown in to make it a relaxed read, but not too much so that it gets unbearably silly. (My favorite joke was your Lloyd Bentsen/Dan Quayle reference back in post #166 :D.)

I do have a couple gameplay questions for you, however:

1) Do you still have Land of Opportunity and/or Colonial Ventures NI's? If so, WHY?? Surely you must have since finished swallowing anything requiring colonists on the Eurasian landmass. Personally, I would have swapped those two NI's out long ago.

2) When connecting your Indian possessions with the Motherland, why did you take the long way around through Tibet/NW India, instead of a more direct route through Persia?

I'm not criticizing - just wondering. Great work so far.

As for your next AAR, my preference would be:

i) Naples (because it's Roman purple!)
ii) Milan (because it's probably the strongest Italian kingdom in 1399)
iii) Papal States (they do start with Rome, after all)

(Oh - as to your earlier contest, my guess would've been Livland & Dadra(?) from Burgundy. Because Russia HATES Burgundy! :p.)

Feedback​

Boris -- It's a shame it came so late in the game -- Russia's really not in a great position to do much with it. If you can kill the Papacy, you deprive a lot of power from Catholics, but at this stage in the game, there aren't a lot of them left.

loki100 -- Well, to be fair, it was the Ottomans and the Pope, but still very pleasurable, as you said :D

4th Dimension -- I'm excited it was even possible -- prior to DW I think it was Byzantine-only. It does seem a little absurd, though, particularly since it's obviously intended for monarchies (note the legitimacy boost).

Kid Charlemagne -- Glad you've enjoyed it thus far and welcome aboard! :D Any references to Dan Quayle or Lloyd Bentsen were entirely unintentional.

1) I do so very soon in the AAR (I'm actually finished with the gameplay), but I didn't do it sooner because of my irrational fear of stab hits. Once I figured out how surprisingly quick I got stab points back, the gloves came off.

2) Khiva was my vassal, which cut me off from going directly Persia. If I went through Baluchistan, I'd have to annex their whole country, since the capital was in the way. The cheapest cost, infamy wise, was to do it the way I did, which was only four provinces.

I'll register this as a vote for Naples for now. :)

The new voting list:

Milan 2
Naples 2
Tuscany 2
Papal States 1
Genoa 1

I'm about done with my Vicky 2 game, and I'm contemplating either dusting off HOI 3 (I loaned it to a friend -- I've had a really hard time getting into it. Can anybody recommend a quality learning AAR? Are the expansions worth getting?), starting a new Vicky 2 game, or going back to EU 3 with the new beta.

Speaking of this AAR, next update will be tomorrowish. I'm also trying to slowly but surely update the image host for the earlier chapters, please let me know if images go missing or get corrupted.

Kid Charlemagne -- Glad you've enjoyed it thus far and welcome aboard! :D Any references to Dan Quayle or Lloyd Bentsen were entirely unintentional.

I think this is the exchange you were unknowingly channeling. ;)

1) I do so very soon in the AAR (I'm actually finished with the gameplay), but I didn't do it sooner because of my irrational fear of stab hits. Once I figured out how surprisingly quick I got stab points back, the gloves came off.

OK, that makes sense. At a certain point in a "typical" EU3 game, your nation's economy becomes so powerful that stability is never really a concern (as long as you stay under your Infamy limit).

2) Khiva was my vassal, which cut me off from going directly Persia. If I went through Baluchistan, I'd have to annex their whole country, since the capital was in the way. The cheapest cost, infamy wise, was to do it the way I did, which was only four provinces.

Vassal, schmassal! :p If only in the interest of cleaner looking borders, I still would've plowed through Khiva and Persia. Plus, Persia has some tasty provinces the likes of which are nowhere to be seen in the wilds of Central Asia. Oh well.

I'll register this as a vote for Naples for now. :)

Thanks! I'll try and follow your Roman AAR no matter who you eventually settle on.