• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feedback​

Nekromans -- As do the Posadniks of Russia! I'm not sure if Qin is still part of Ming at this point (I'm obviously ahead), but your idea is well taken.

Boris -- You may be on to something here -- I've previously been trying to make the updates tell a coherent story and getting to the minimum ten updates for the contest, but since it's a gameplay AAR, I could always break it up into ten year intervals, making the below update about two and a half updates. I'd include a brief sentence or two on what had just happened. I've already got two more updates prepared -- finishing off the first half of the 1600s and the State of the Republic -- but after that I could go with shorter, more frequent updates. What do the other readers think?

Ashantai -- I'd completely forgotten about Cabinet until I went through the Wiki -- I'm kicking myself I didn't get it sooner (if I could have, that is).

I think the next two NIs will be Cabinet and Bill of Rights -- I'd love Esprit de Corps, but I don't think I'll get it in time. Same with Revolution and Counter-Revolution.

Questions to consider

1) I will bow to the will of the audience -- should I stick to the more dynamic update style (longer, less frequent updates), where I try to finish off a storyline, or break it into ten year intervals, but update more frequently?

2) What new NIs should I go for after Bill of Rights?

What's your total list of NIs? Military Drill if you don't have it is a good choice always.

Smithian Economics is good too since you're getting a lot of production and tariff income.

Don't forget how useful Patron of the Arts is.

I'm not sure which ones you have so you might have all these already.

What's your total list of NIs? Military Drill if you don't have it is a good choice always.

Smithian Economics is good too since you're getting a lot of production and tariff income.

Don't forget how useful Patron of the Arts is.

I'm not sure which ones you have so you might have all these already.

His current NIs are National Bank, Military Drill, Land of Opportunity, Grand Army, Bureaucracy, Colonial Ventures, and QftNW.

With regard to what NIs should come after Cabinet and Bill of Rights (yay!), I'm not certain that Unam Sanctam will be a useful pick:

• You're Orthodox, so your influence with the Pope is irrelevant;
  • The Reformation has been and gone, so it's not much use there;
  • As the Defender of the Orthodox Faith, you already have the Holy War CBs it grants you, and you'll lose them within a decade no matter what;
  • The Cleansing of Heresy CBs do look quite tempting, but your list of targets consists overwhelmingly of heathens, not heretics. I'm not sure how much you really want to expand in Europe, beyond the Black Sea coast, but it just doesn't seem particularly worthwhile.

Personally I quite like the dynamic updates.

QFNTW is not any good to russia, alaska is not even worth it, and also having colonial ventures is worthless too. I managed to colonize whole siberia without it. Colonial Ventures are good for those who want whole new world to them. If you will just wait the new provinces will reveal to you, so when you will have some colonist to spare you will be able to send them to alaska, and if you will, it will be a couple of provinces that you can sell, because those are WORTHLESS. Comparing to those that you can get in asia and europe. And if you want to do WC you will also not need it. Anyway if you want to take such idea, there is only one thing that gives it a plus - you can have some free generals for QFTNW... anyway you won't be able to colonize places like alaska before you will get cores on eastern siberia, so still QFNTW is... worthles to you unless you lack of diplomats to appoint new generals. You should change colonial ventures for some better idea...

Feedback​

Boris -- I certainly do :cool:

Ashantai -- What Nekromans said. It looks like it started a new page, so I understand how you missed it.

Nekromans -- Thanks for the kind words! I'm going back and forth with Unam Sanctam -- I think it's primarily a luxury now, unless I decide to give Burgundy what's coming to them.

Iwanow -- Not sure if you have DW, but I took Colonial Ventures partially to deal with hordes and partially to help with the Siberian colonization. You can't take land from a horde without colonists. QftNW was for mapping East Asia, primarily (although I did end up setting up a colony in Alaska). CV I think I'll swap out for something else -- I'm not quite done mapping, so I have to keep QftNW for a while longer.

You'll get a chance to see a shorter update in action -- next will be a brief update from 1642 to 1650, followed by the State of the Republic. Enjoy!

Chapter 12: Russia reaches the Pacific

January 1643: We open 1643 with another random war. Khandesh tries to take on the Russian Republic, but has no allies. I doubt this will end well.

chapter12january1643.jpg

Here's where I take QftNW. At this point, all the really good colonies are taken -- I'm actually doing this so I can finish mapping Asia. I also wouldn't mind colonizing the Pacific Coast of North America -- I'll have extra colonists soon, so might as well use them.

I also pass the gold standard -- +.04 inflation reduction until the end of the game. No side effects there.

February 1643: Bratsk cores.

March 1643: Korea picks on India some more. Vijayanagar (I'm not even looking these up any more, I've gotten so good :D) loses some cash and some treaties.

April 1643: The rest of Georgia (Dagestan, Alania, Georgia) cores.

May 1643: Peace with Khandesh -- my infamy is too high to take territory right now, so I take everything but territory.

chapter12may1643.jpg

June 1643: I'm really bad about allying with vassals -- shouldn't this be automatic? In any case, I finally sign the paperwork with Khiva.

July 1643: Regional nobles in Ust Yurt challenge the Russian Republic's authority with four regiments. I have 60,000 troops within two or three provinces. I think you can guess how this one went :)

August 1643: Tibet warns me. I don't even think we share a border at this point; Tibet is still mostly TI for me, if I'm not mistaken.

September 1643: Grodno converts.

November 1643: So does Idnakar.

December 1643: Cherson gets nationalist sentiment, +15 RR for 3 years. I'm almost positive they don't revolt once.

Tobolsk converts, as Siberia slowly becomes Orthodox.

January 1644: Krypshak defects from Kazakh.

June 1644: Russia discovers Japan!

chapter12june1644.jpg

You get absolutely no bonuses for this. Japan is somehow an OPM (Kyoto province) in the midst of the four factions, who are still duking it out. Maybe Japan unified and then dissolved again.

I get Military Access from Korea -- time to map East Asia, since nobody else will.

July 1644: Sergei Shein is re-elected. He's so excited, he drops dead a month later.

August 1644: Sergei Yermak is our new Posadnik - 6/6/5 is slightly above average.

How absurd is Benign Neglect? It fires twice in less than 30 days at the end of 1644. This will be the last time I ever mention it.

February 1645: Argyn defects from Kazakh, and is immediately cored via mission. Next on the agenda: The University of Pskov. Construction begins immediately.

March 1645: Agricultural revolution in Tara. Another +2 to base tax.

May 1645: Land 30 and the mighty Swivel Cannon.

I pass the Liquor Act (+3% National Tax modifier, +4% Stability Cost modifier), as befits Russia. Fun fact: Up until about the 20th century and industrialization, the liquor monopoly was one of the key sources of revenue for the Russian Imperial Government. The More You Know! [tm]

March 1646: The Colonial Ventures event fires. You have two choices -- support naval supremacy (at a cost to land tech) or abandon naval supremacy (+ 8 to land tech, -10 to naval tech, +2% modifier to naval tech costs). I took the latter -- I have no illusions about having a mighty navy.

August 1646: Austria wants to eat Bulgaria. Bulgaria calls its big bad brother. War ensues.

chapter12august1646.jpg

October 1646: Penchisky will be a source of Fur for Russia.

The end of the Kazakh Horde (again), maybe for good this time.

chapter12october1646.jpg

November 1646: North Ufa converts. My strategy is going to be the same as it was before -- storm towards Wien, take it, and force Austria to release a minor or two.

Korea takes a bite out of Ming.

chapter12november1646.jpg

I wonder how they aren't Dishonorable Scum?

Bihar wants military access -- I have no idea why, but I'll go with it.

January 1647: It's not going to be so easy this time, since Austria isn't occupying Switzerland.

chapter12january1647.jpg

You know it's a Pyrrhic victory when you win the battle and take more WE than the loser. My morale was dropping, or I would have stayed and inflicted more casualties.

March 1647: Algiers peaces out. I'm not entirely sure they could have invaded me if they wanted to.

I try one last-ditch effort to buy another Swiss alliance -- no dice :(

April 1647: Kazan converts. I'm regrouping for another assault on Wien, this time with two armies. Austria wants peace, but I decline.

May 1647: I don't really need more manpower, but it's too cheap not to do it.

chapter12may1647.jpg

Rajputana warns me.

June 1647: Kamchatka is where it's at now -- 600 people leave from Imereti, only 200 make it to Kamchatka. That's an awfully long walk (or ride) -- I'm honestly surprised that many people survived.

Iron is produced in Podzhiversk.

July 1647: Naval supplies are produced in Kamchatka. Huzzah! Russia now touches the Pacific Ocean! :cool:

August 1647: Iron in Verkhoyansk.

November 1647: Khorasan warns me. I have 60 regiments in Bohemia (I have MA with them), they'll have slightly more than 100 regiments of Austrians and Bavarians. I could throw in a third army, another 25 regiments, but it's going to take a while, and after that it would take months to pull troops from Central Asia.

This time, they flee Vienna. I jump on a smaller stack in Ostmarch, not realizing how huge a defensive penalty (-4) I'll take, and they're able to get all of their troops into the province. They've got 2:1 superior in numbers,and even though I'm inflicting tons of casualties, my die rolls are killing me, and what's worse, my morale is plummeting.

December 1647: Austria asks for a white peace again -- this time I agree. I wish I could have gotten Bavaria out of the war -- without Bavaria, we have even odds, and my tech superiority would have given me all I needed. As I get more land force limits help, I'll have to build another army or two to keep this from happening again.

March 1648: Kurgan converts.

April 1648: Tannu Tuva cores.

I'm going to move part of my Black Sea Fleet to the Pacific to deal with pirates. I ask Portugal for MA -- and get it -- without realizing that my own naval base in India is perfectly sufficient to let my ships recover after going around the Cape. :rolleyes:

August 1648: Altai cores.

New election time. I decide that I should go for a better leader, thinking it couldn't be a whole lot worse than 6/6/5. Artamon Glinski disagrees, and gives me the worst possible ruler (for a bureaucratic candidate) -- 5/3/3. Sigh.

September 1648: There is a positive side to having fish now -- I get an event for +2 naval tradition.

I move my NF to Saghalin Oula -- I want to trigger border conflicts with Korea, maybe even get some cores. Sure, I'm in no position to deal with them now, but I can always use Holy War later on.

November 1649: Stanislav Beketov (one of my council people, I guess) gets me +10% to national tax modifier for about two months. Not too shabby.

January 1, 1650: I knew I was forgetting something :(

chapter12january1650.jpg

Time for the State of the Republic!

Last edited:
I wonder how you're gonna take all those delicious East Asian provinces now? If you try hard enough, the Liberation CB can get you through until revolution/counter-revolution.

State of the Republic: 1650

Here is glorious Russia, from sea to shining sea --

sotr1650russia.jpg

Ming has disappeared entirely at this point :eek: Looks like three factions in Japan, plus an OPM Japan. I wonder if uniting is even feasible for Japan at this point, since Japan technically already exists?

The court --

sotr1650court.jpg

I would kill for a 6* diplomat right now. Although that would be rather infamous. Hmm...

Overview of my provinces, sorted by tax --

sotr1650provinces.jpg

The top three are all COTs -- Thrace isn't even cored yet and isn't Russian culture -- I bet in 1700 we'll see a bigger gap between Thrace and the rest. Note, however, that the biggest COT I have, Kutch, doesn't show up, and that's because of that distant overseas BS. I can't wait until I get my land bridge.

Overall, Novgorod is the most productive province, with Samara a fascinating second place producer (mostly due to gold).

Economy of Russia --

sotr1650economy.jpg

Inflation is almost gone. Woo hoo! Production has shot ahead of trade -- this is a big change from 1600, where trade still had a narrow lead.

Income of Russia --

sotr1650income.jpg

Again, production has taken over the top spot, even surpassing census taxes.

Costs --

sotr1650costs.jpg

No surprises here. For stability reasons, I haven't updated to the most recent beta patch, but they've done quite a number on naval maintenance, I've heard. I'll probably try it after I finish this AAR.

Russia and the rest of the world, sorted by income --

sotr1650economiesglobal.jpg

I'm almost as big as the next three economies combined. Brittany is kind of a shocker -- she's colonized a tiny bit, which might help her out.

COTs --

sotr1650cot.jpg

See what I mean about Kutch? Only one new world COT -- Mexico.

Russia's army and navy --

sotr1650armynavy.jpg

I'm still not big on artillery yet, but I do have some. With the huge borders I've got, I find myself just cranking out infantry (and cavalry, to a lesser extent) as fast I can to make sure I've got strategically positioned armies all over the map. My expansion is about to slow down dramatically in my game (in the 1670s), so I'll probably start working in more artillery for the western units.

Navy wise, I'm trying to have a good mix of ships -- most of the big ships are in the west, with galleys on pirate duty in the east. I don't think I've even transported one army yet.

Armies of the world --

sotr1650armiesglobal.jpg

No huge surprises. See the mess I was in with both Austria and Bavaria on the same team?

Navies of the world --

sotr1650naviesglobal.jpg

The secret to having a big navy? 1) Never lose a ship. 2) Build over your forcelimit because you really have no coastline and you need ships to cover pirates. I have no illusions about challenging British naval superiority.

Techs, sorted by land --

sotr1650tech.jpg

I wonder how high I would be if I didn't have to Westernize?

Sliders --

sotr1650sliders.jpg

I'm working more on Mercantilism -- trade is becoming less and less important, I want the East Indian trade bonus. Free subjects would probably be after that.

Pies --

sotr1650pies.jpg

More than 50% core, but less than 75%. I can live with that. I have every non-pagan religion except Shinto in my country. I love how they make an entry for gold, but it's such a tiny part of my empire that you can't actually see the slice of pie.

Rulers --

sotr1650rulers.jpg

I've pretty much gone bureaucrat in every election thus far -- once military (Patrikeev) for this chart.

The world map --

eu3maprus1650111.jpg

Check out Savoy in South America (the pink). The Hansa is really hard to see in the New World, but they've got colonies in Northern Canada, Greenland, and the Atlantic Coast of Brazil. I think that's Navarre in Florida, but I can't swear to it.

That's it for now. The actual update above this one is about what the shorter updates would look like -- a little longer, since they've be ten years instead of seven. I'm going to play a little tonight and tomorrow, get up to at least 1700, and then have a new update Sunday or next week.

Last edited:
you've constructed an impressive, rather realistically shaped, Russia there. Imagine that in the east the relatively weak Ming makes moving in on China rather attractive.

quick game mechanic question if you don't mind. Last time I played EU3 was back with IN & at that stage unless they were in a bankruptcy cycle it seemed as if AI countries tended to avoid inflation more than the player (more becuase I'd often mint to survive & worry about inflation later etc). Looking at your screenshot most of the major AI powers have quite an inflation problem?

you've constructed an impressive, rather realistically shaped, Russia there. Imagine that in the east the relatively weak Ming makes moving in on China rather attractive.

quick game mechanic question if you don't mind. Last time I played EU3 was back with IN & at that stage unless they were in a bankruptcy cycle it seemed as if AI countries tended to avoid inflation more than the player (more becuase I'd often mint to survive & worry about inflation later etc). Looking at your screenshot most of the major AI powers have quite an inflation problem?

They've actually fixed it a bit -- there were times with HttT that I'd see 50%+ inflation with some of the AI controls. I don't have an intimate knowledge of the mechanics, but I gather the problem is the AI spending over force limits and thus having to mint -- that's what I've heard, anyway.

Thanks for the 'State of the Republic' update! I love it. :)

You're doing really well, especially in Siberia!

Feedback​

Boris -- Ah, thanks for the tip on Japan. So I guess Japan hasn't unified yet (and probably never will, unless I do it for them :) ).

Deus Everzor -- Welcome aboard! I understand it's cold on Pluto this time of year, so you might want a coat. :D The first three are definitely possibilities (although time is running a bit short) -- America is likely out of the question, though.

Ashantai -- You're welcome :) Siberia isn't terribly challenging because I've never seen any other country colonize there -- once, in my Japan HttT game, I saw the British in Kamchatka -- that's all I can remember.

Re: the update situation. I'm going to start doing them for every ten years, but with summaries, synopses, what have you, if things aren't wrapped up in that time frame. It'll take me less time for each update, you'll get them more frequently, etc. If there's an overwhelming clamor to return to the way things were, I shall of course consider it.

To that end, a new update is in the pipeline and should be complete within the hour.

Chapter 13: Wherein Russia discovers its greatest challenge: math

February 1650: My new mission from God (I honestly forget the old one :wacko:) is to build a university in Bolgar. Construction starts immediately.

June 1650: Another free constable, this time in Vetluga.

September 1650: Those fat-cats in Parliament are arguing again. I ignore them and lose 8 prestige.

January 1651: Manchu wants to fight Korea and it all wants is military access? Sold!

Agricultural Revolution in Thrace -- +2 base tax in my highest tax province already.

Beketov is up to his old tricks, and we get another +10% National Tax modifier until April.

February 1651: Verkhe-Angarsky cores.

July 1651: Border Friction against Rajputana -- Rajputana is one of the countries I need provinces from to connect India to Russia, so this is welcome.

Imereti converts.

October 1651: Bavaria declares war on Ulm, who sadly has no vassals in this game. :(

May 1652: With troops now in position and a little more infamy burned off, war is declared on Rajputana, bringing in a whole host of allies.

chapter13may1652.jpg

Alliance leader is Manchu.

Sweden warns us. Sweden is a two province minor -- maybe they all do this because otherwise they'd have to reflect on their otherwise bleak and meaningless existence.

June 1652: Defensive is a lot less attractive now that you don't get free forts, just the 10 year boost to fortifications.

chapter13june1652.jpg

August 1652: Glinski's reign of terror is over. A new Posadnik is elected, who seriously can't possibly be any worse (5/3/3 is the worst a Republic can get). Nikodim Potemkin, the new leader, is 7/3/7. I will take that!

September 1652: Rajputana gives me my province I was tasked with, plus two more to inch ever closer to Russian territory proper.

chapter13september1652.jpg

I call in Khiva, which gives me an opportunity to share with you the full alliance against me: Manchu, Khorasan, Bihar, Malwa, Orissa, Qin, and Sind. Bihar has the other provinces I need, but it took a lot of infamy to get the provinces from Rajputana, so that'll have to wait until another war.

Marathi rebels in Dadra decide they want to revolt -- unfortunately, this would be a great time for them to do it, so I have to buy them off, at the cost of a few ducats and penalties to stability cost and national tax for six months.

October 1652: Sind leaves the war, annulling a couple of treaties as payment.

chapter13october1652.jpg

November 1652: Malwa gets white peace and to continue living; I honestly think my magnanimity should be rewarded with prestige.

I also find out that Nizhe-Kolymsk produces Iron.

I get a border friction CB against Maharasthra -- I'm not really interested in more Indian provinces at the moment, so I'll let this one expire.

January 1653: Exit Khorasan.

chapter13january1653.jpg

Manchu quickly realizes it has no allies left -- only Bihar and Qin at this point -- so it agrees to White Peace.

March 1653: My tons of infamy have nobles in Ruthenia mad, and revolt risk skyrockets for a while.

August 1653: I recover that point of stability I lost a while ago.

November 1653: Riga, who has Livland (the last Baltic province I really want), is Burgundy's vassal, further enraging me. Burgundy, thwarting me at every turn. Burgundy, curse of Western Europe. Your day of reckoning will come soon. Not now, maybe not tomorrow, but when you least expect it.

After burning off a bit of infamy, I decide to pick on Ak Konlyu. They've only got one province, but it's historically Russian (well, Armenian, which for the Russian Empire, and the purposes of this AAR, means Russian). To war! I hope their mighty ally doesn't intervene!

chapter13november1653.jpg

Switzerland makes Austria release a couple of minors. Oh Switzerland, why won't you be my friend again?

December 1653: A bunch of Lithuanian rabblerousers in Vilna start trouble and raise my revolt risk in the province. Nothing ever comes of it, because life in the Russian Republic is just too awesome. Remember, the surest bulwark against revolution is prosperity, and Russia's got that in spades. :cool:

Hungary warns me. Apparently, at some point, Bohemia released Hungary. Isn't that something?

February 1654: The Swiss do something in my SOI, so I get a CB. Never! The Russians remember their allies and never abandon them! (Annex them, yes, but never abandon them. Well, except for Denmark. All right, Russians remember their allies and rarely abandon them, then.)

Van becomes Russian and the war ends.

chapter13february1654.jpg

June 1654: The Byzantines decide to pick on Bulgaria. Those fools! Those foolish fools!

chapter13june1654.jpg

I want Edirne in this war, since it's part of the Bosphorus sound toll. We are quickly made leaders of the war.

November 1654: Krypshak converts.

December 1654: Wu collapses. Hey, that's Ming's line!

Switzerland smacks around Bavaria, takes some cash and makes them break some treaties. Three more German minors appear -- the more the merrier, I say.

Serbia takes a chunk out of Byzantium -- a slight distraction, but good for Serbia! I get MA from them the next day to continue the war.

chapter13december1654.jpg

January 1655: Land 31 and Fort 4. I begin constructing them on the Korean and Bohemian borders, as well as in Thrace.

I eventually need war with Bihar again, to get two more connecting provinces, so I guarantee Sind, since Bihar has a mission to wipe them off the map. It never comes to fruition, but hey, it was a good idea.

February 1655: I take my prize. It's good thing too, I'm awfully close to the infamy limit. Fortunately, 20.9+3.00 only equals 23.00 (my infamy limit), so I'm in the clear.

chapter13february1655.jpg

Oh wait... I may have added wrong... I'm dishonorable scum now. Sweden DOWs.

A week later, Hungary joins the party, and Tibet a few days after that.

Meanwhile, God wants another naval race with Burgundy. My whole sitting still and doing nothing about it tactic worked last time, I'm sure it will again.

March 1655: Tibet calls in Korea. This would be great if not for the whole over the infamy limit thing.

April 1655: Maharasthra DOWs.

July 1655: Karshi defects, ending the Timurid Empire's reign of terror. Khorasan released them in the earlier war -- it's an infamy province, so I'll take it.

People leave Grodno for sunny Nizhe-Kolymsk. Not sure I'd make the same choice, but hey, snow cones year round!

September 1655: Border Friction CB on Persia. No thanks, four wars is enough for now.

November 1655: Having no army and only one province that borders me, Sweden white peaces. I drop below the infamy limit, so no more dishonorable scum.

Maharasthra peaces out a few days later.

December 1655: Transylvania warns me.

I make Tibet tear up a couple of treaties (primarily with Korea) in exchange for continued freedom.

Hungary, as the only country I can exert my will on, suffers the greatest price -- converting to Orthodoxy!!!!!

If these wars sounded anti-climactic, to a certain extent they were. It was mostly zipping from one corner of the map to the other, managing multiple sieges and battles. A logistical nightmare, to be sure. It reminds me of HOI 3, and there's a reason I don't play it. Too hard (for me anyway, an admitted n00b of HOI) to keep track of bunches of troops.

January 1656: A move towards Mercantilism nets me a 1* Collector. Pass.

July 1656: Ilimsk cores.

I construct a Tax Assessor in Kiev -- in DW, it's a unique building (one per country) for a permanent +.04 inflation reduction every year. I must have gotten the appropriate government tech that year.

August 1656: Qarabagh and Shirvan core.

I take a chance -- I'd love a better admin ruler, so I choose a new candidate (bureaucratic). It was a bad idea (6/3/9). I need to stop being so greedy :(

November 1656: Three provinces core, Armenia, Imereti, and Kartli.

January 1657: Border Friction against Ottomans. This one I'll take. It's even for the last two provinces I need for the Bosphorus Sound Toll!

chapter13january1657.jpg

Every single one of the Ottoman allies dishonors.

March 1657: Production 27 and the Stock Exchange, the level 6 production building. My highest tax provinces get their very own Stock Exchanges as fast as I can build them.

Manchu collapses, reviving the Oirat Horde. Ring the dinner bell, because it's time for an infamy free meal!

Boundary dispute gives me a core on Livland. Your time draws nigh, Burgundy.

Speaking of Burgundy, the Russian fleet accomplishes her mission, once again by doing nothing.

God now wants us to vassalize Iraq.

April 1657: My diplomat dies, but I hire a slightly better one.

May 1657: Serbia warns me. After everything I've done for you!

I achieve my goals and get a little cash besides.

chapter13may1657.jpg

In celebration, we pass the advancement of true religion act (-4% to missionary cost, +4% to missionary chance, +1 RR) to make converting our new territory a little easier.

I rapidly proceed with God's mission and DOW Iraq.

chapter13may16572.jpg

June 1657: Our dreams become reality and we completely control the Turkish (now Russian) straits. Huzzah!

chapter13june1657.jpg

I get MA through Syria to get the last Iraqi province.

October 1657: Boundary Dispute on Wusuli, a Korean province. I know where we're going next :D

I also subjugate Iraq. I didn't take a screenshot, for some reason, so that should tell you how thrilling the war wasn't.

Next, God wants me to convert Tara. A missionary is dispatched promptly.

January 1658: Khorasan warns me.

March 1658: Argyn converts.

June 1658: Colonial Ventures fires -- I still don't care about the navy. Give me more army tech!

September 1658: Tara converts, so now it's time to build a university in Armenia, says God. Construction begins.

Also, Russia now has zero inflation! For most of the rest of the game, I either don't mint at all or mint in a way that's inflation neutral, if for some reason I need the cash.

October 1658: Barguzinsky cores.

November 1658: Fur is produced in Anadyrsk.

February 1659: Malwa warns me.

May 1659: Surgut converts.

September 1659: Uchurskoye and the Lithuania provinces (Vilna, Grodno, Wenden) all core.

November 1659: Hey Persia, quit picking on my little buddy! Sorry, Korea, you'll have to wait!

chapter13november1659.jpg

Also, dear readers, you'll have to wait for the next installment of the Republic of Russia to see how it turns out :D

Next update will either be tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
June 1652: Defensive is a lot less attractive now that you don't get free forts, just the 10 year boost to fortifications.

Chapter13_June1652.jpg

That is not true, the defensive is always attractive cause two things - plus to generals siege, and forts defensiveness. Also gives you cheaper cannons which is very vital if you want to have any of them. Offensive is useless - it only gives you minimal shock of +1 that is only good if you have low land tradition. The small addition to your morale is realy useless, on that year ur in. Defensive is like centralization - the other side is always worse. Also - if youre country outside central europe the same is with quantity. Why quantity? Because it gives your armiest faster recovering that is vital when you fight in low level provinces.

EDIT: For country like Russia the best is following :
Max Centralization
Max Aristocracy
Max Free subjects
Max Innovate
Max Mercantilism
Max Defensive
Max Land
Max Quantity

Innovate cause the westernization... Still westernization is good when you have missionaries even on max innovate.

Last edited:
Great update! Glad you got rid of your 5/3/3 leader...he sucked.

Long live Russia!

Feedback​

Iwanow -- I guess you're right -- I just checked on the bonuses for defensive and they're a lot better than I thought. I agree with you on the rest, except Quality and Innovative. Quality because I've already got such a massive army, that the marginal utility is in better troops, rather than even more troops. I need quite a few missionaries, so max innovative isn't practical at this point.

Ashantai -- You're telling me :D

Boris -- We'll just have to see what happens. ;)

I'm up to 1700 at this point -- the second half of the 17th century is very interesting, not nearly as boring as I thought without Holy War.

Time for a brief contest -- winner gets to name an Alaskan province.

In the 1680s, I DOW a major European power and take two provinces.

1) Which European power is it?

2) Name one of the two provinces.

To make it a little easier, the CB I use is Reconquest. I may or may not be currently bordering this power, but I am at the time of the war (I get a core via Boundary Dispute).

To sweeten the pot, you could name two provinces if you get both parts right.

I'm working on the next update now, should be up by the end of the day.