• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice playing as Novgorod - haven't seen many of those AARs before.

Bit of a shameless plug, but here is my Muscovy>Russia game in 1821 (HTTT).

EU3_MAP_RUS_182118_1.jpg

That's awfully impressive -- is that you on the West Coast of North America too?

I'd love to see the same kind of thing for my Russia -- you've given me a lot of competition :D

For comparison this is my HTTT Muscovy > Russia game.

EU3_MAP_RUS_18201231_1.jpg

EU3_MAP_RUS_18201231_2.jpg

Feedback​

Ashantai -- That's huge! I presume the areas in the darker green are your vassals?

Boris -- I figured it out -- I have to have the other COTs on red and mine on green. It seems a yellow COT with no monopoly takes preference over a green COT that has five merchants.

loki100 -- Welcome back! That's what I've been thinking too, maybe add a little artillery to just the western armies, but I'm not sure how much to add, etc. When I play a little farther ahead I might experiment, but honestly, I'm in no hurry to mess with Europeans until I've consolidated more in the East. I shall be an opportunistic vulture! :D

Played a little more yesterday, I'm at about 1610 or so and things have bogged down a little (you should get a hint of why soon), but I'm still making progress. Some of the wonderful maps you folks have shared just awe me, and I don't know if I'll get that far, but it certainly gives me a goal to shoot for.

Update is next!

Chapter 8: Hello to a new neighbor, goodbye to an old one

February 1550: We add Transylvania to our SOI. Another Western Influences Resistance event -- again, I'll take the lower revolt risk for now.

April 1550: Gold in Berezov! New to DW, discovering your trade goods also gives you a magistrate.

May 1550: Benign Neglect again, with 100 more gold. This event has already fired like a dozen times.

June 1550: God wants a level 2 fort in Ufa. Joke's on you, God, if that is your real name, because I'm already building one! Centralization move, which of course, means I lost a stab point. As always.

July 1550: I'm not really hurting for prestige, so when a 3* High Judge comes on the market for -.9 revolt risk, I take it.

October 1550: Some nobles decide to revolt, via event. They will not be missed.

January 1551: God wants me to take Lappland now. It's part of Denmark, and honestly, it's almost totally worthless, so I'm not too keen to jump on the bandwagon. A quick test showed pretty much all of Europe would have declared war on me anyway :eek:

June 1551: Another group of regional nobles get frisky, this time in Idnakar. They aren't terribly bright, because I've already got 20 regiments sitting there.

October 1551: Denmark and Pskov become part of my SOI.

December 1551: Austria loses her religious turmoil. Hopefully she doesn't get uppity.

January 1552: Transylvania rejects my alliance proposal.

February 1552: Berezov is now an official province of the Russian Republic! [Note: I honestly lose track of colonies becoming provinces, so this will be the only mention. The one thing I do mention is trade goods, so you'll get some idea of when and where I colonize.]

I also remember to cancel my mission in Denmark. God now wants a Textile Manufactory in Kostroma. I don't why I didn't start on it right away -- I had cash on hand -- but I didn't.

June 1552: Alexei Spiridoff is reelected. Popular guy, but not with the Clergy, who want me to move Narrowminded. I agree.

January 1533: We discover how to make cannons a lot smaller, to thunderous applause. This shall be a new era in Russian military might!

chapter8january1553.jpg

I go with the defensive option, since the difference is +1 Defensive Fire, -1 Offensive Morale, and +1 Defensive Morale from Offensive Musketeers.

February 1533: Production 17.

April 1553: Georgia is simultaneously at war with and allied to Qara Koyunlu. That probably makes for an awkward war.

June 1553: Minsk goes reformed.

October 1553: Kasimov gets fortified.

October 1554: The Nogai alarm clock reminds me it's been five years since I've killed their army and taken their land.

November 1554: Oh hai Ming!

chapter8november1554.jpg

January 1555: The stupid border friction CB event fires for Nogai. Seriously, Hordes don't use CBs, so this is kind of dumb.

April 1555: Kiev gets the fortification bonus, making it even more awesome. My high quality troops also give me 10 prestige.

May 1555: Kazakh give me money for peace -- I'm cool with that, since I'm not sure exactly where Ming is.

chapter8may1555.jpg

June 1556: Production 18. Another four years, another victory for Spiridoff.

September 1556: Finnmark de-cores. Meh. I'm sure Russia will survive without a base 1 tax province I'd have to fight half of Europe for, when I can get plenty of those in Siberia for no fighting.

July 1557: Uralsk defects.

October 1557: People are mad about one of my bailiffs. I tell them to suck it up and walk it off, at the cost of five prestige.

January 1559: Baybaktu defects. My military engineer dies. I wish I could tell you who replaced him, but I forgot to note it. :rolleyes:

March 1559: Bersh defects. That's enough Nogai land for now.

chapter8march1559.jpg

April 1559: Production 19.

May 1559: We discover Fur in Obdorsk. Not as thrilling as Gold, but hey, it means more money for me!

June 1559: If I'm going to get into the Levant, I either need to get rid of Georgia or ally with them. I choose to ally for now.

July 1559: Georgia wants me to help them with Iraq. I end up getting nothing out of this war except some prestige from winning sieges, but it's okay.

September 1559: Calvin Coolidge was right. The best thing to do is nothing, since I pick up another 100 gold for benign neglect.

March 1560: More angry reactionaries. I buy them off again.

June 1560: The Kazakhs infiltrate parliament, and gain army tradition for it. Good for them. Alexei Spiridoff will root out the corruption when he feels like it, since he's been re-elected yet again.

August 1560: The Kazakh war starts and ends very rapidly, again for tribute.

October 1560: My university in Nizhni-Novgorod gives me some extra cultural tradition.

January 1561: GB and Castille go to war over a Trade Dispute. Could be interesting.

February 1561: Novgorod jumps on the fortification train.

May 1561: Bohemia tries to send spies to Siberia, but they get caught and I get a CB. It's nice to know they haven't forgot me. I also declare war on Sibir (Holy War). They are allied to the Timurids, who quickly realize they don't border me, honor the call and then leave me alone. Seems like a lot of paperwork. My goal here is to grab a couple of provinces so I can colonize and map the rest of Siberia.

March 1562: I kill the few remaining troops Sibir has. Another move towards Centralized, another stab hit. Ho-hum.

July 1562: Land 19. I can now build regimental camps! I don't, but I could. I also make peace with Sibir.

chapter8july1562.jpg

I had no idea I could annex the whole thing. Might as well, they've got a couple of Gold provinces and it does solidify my borders.

September 1562: This is another cool Russian decision. You get a free Conquistador (5 tradition) and a colonist. Since I don't have (and probably never will have) QftNW, it's pretty much the only way to colonize Siberia. You can reenact it every time your old Conquistador dies until you've mapped out Siberia in its entirety.

chapter8september1562.jpg

January 1563: Castille takes more Ottoman territory. This is starting to get annoying.

February 1563: People want a stable government -- I need to avoid stab hits whenever possible, so I have to discard a little government research (392 ducats isn't a big deal, about three months if it's fully funded).

March 1563: Provence pays off Castille, to the tune of 518 ducats.

April 1563: A new country, Mentese, declares independence from the Ottomans in southern Asia Minor. I note this because it's new to DW. Denmark warns me, with causes most of the country to burst into laughter.

January 1564: Government 20.

February 1564: Georgia calls me against the Ottomans and Syria (who can't reach me). Sure, why not, I'm bored :D

chapter8february1564.jpg

In reality, I'd love to try and take a bite out of the Ottomans, even if I can only devote one army to the effort. I ask for and get military access from Transylvania. Chernigov also turns Russian. To end a busy month, Prussia warns me.

March 1564: Trade 17.

April 1564: Since the Nogai still bother me, I kill their entire army and occupy the remaining two provinces. Soon, the Nogai will join the countries that have disappeared from the map to feed Russia.

May 1564: I ask for MA from Bohemia, since they only have one province in Asia Minor, but it's right in my way. This could also be a useful canary if Bohemia gets restless.

August 1564: Ming and I are officially neighbors, as they take Altai from the Kazakh Horde.

chapter8august1564.jpg

I now get Holy War against them as well. I'd like to wait until I've finally modernized, but I could DOW Ming at any time now. Maybe they'll even collapse for me!

October 1564: Pegaya Orda will produce Copper. Narym, on the other hand, is Grain.

November 1564: Siberians are really mad and revolt. They are, as usual, quickly suppressed.

December 1564: More Grain, this time from Kulunda.

June 1565: Government 21.

December 1565: I pass the Judiciary Act, for -1 RR, +.05 diplomats, and -3% to my tax modifier. Remembering how out of hand things got when I westernized, I can only imagine how many rebels I'll get when I finally modernize. I also make peace with Ottomans. The only province I could get to easily was Silistria, and by the time I got through the Caucasus Mountains and into Asia Minor, I lost half my army. I did capture Thrace, but since it was still the capital, I couldn't take it. I end up with peace for 50 Ottoman ducats, which is honestly pretty irritating. I'll clearly need to be closer to Ottoman territory to effectively fight them in the future.

chapter8december1565.jpg

January 1566: Burgundy takes territory from Denmark, putting them close to Scandinavia again. Stupid Burgundy.

October 1566: Ust Yurt finally defects. One more province left! I've got a lot of WE from the "war" against the Ottomans (I never actually fought any soldiers), so I have to give Nogai a reprieve. I demand tribute as usual.

January 1567: Kholm gets 50% more defensiveness.

March 1567: What's better than a 1* Master of Mint? A 4* Master of Mint!

May 1567: I start construction on a Weapons Manufactory in Yaroslavl. You may ask, what about the Textile Factory? The truth is, I forgot about it. I do eventually build it, but I'm not generating huge amounts of cash and can usually only afford one at a time. I just think that Weapons Manufactories are more valuable.

February 1568: A new leader for Russia, since Spiridoff finally died. Gavriil Petrov is an awesome solider and diplomat, but a mediocre administrator (5/8/9).

June 1568: The HRE passes a new reform. They're still a long way from enacting any new or exciting reforms, so I don't worry too much, but I do keep my eye on things (I think it was the Gemeiner Pfennig). One interesting thing in DW is that you can demand the HRE revoke its last reform in a war, which I think has happened a couple of times in this game, since it's pretty late to be only one or two reforms in.

November 1568: People sample new religions -- I get a little more Narrowminded.

May 1570: Denmark collapses again. There's now a Norway again, so they DOW Norway to recover some of their lost territory. I get Government 22 and a new NI -- I take Bureaucracy.

June 1570: Land 20. Agricultural Revolution in Narym. More base tax, and in Siberia, that's a huge deal. Manchu gives Ming a little more land. Also, glorious Kamchatka is discovered!

chapter8june1570.jpg

I've got a couple of inland provinces to discover, but now Russia at least has knowledge of some water that empties into the Pacific Ocean.

May 1571: Fur in Kuznetsk.

August 1571: With two more provinces (Kamnuskoye and Yakutsk), Siberia is now totally mapped.

September 1571: More resistance to Westernization. You'd think by now they'd realize Westernization isn't going away.

November 1571: Land tech 21 and a new cannon type! Of course, I don't have any artillery, so this is kind of irrelevant.

December 1571: Production 21.

February 1572: Petrov is reelected.

May 1572: Tomsk will produce Grain.

July 1572: I ask Ming politely for Military Access. I want to map out some of their territory, and this will also give me warning if Ming gets sassy.

March 1573: With very little going on, I decide to find out why I keep getting pushed out of Novgorod as a monopoly. Two other nations have 5 merchants there: Pskov and Mecklenburg. I embargo Mecklenburg, just for fun.

August 1573: 100 more ducats from Benign Neglect.

September 1573: Ruthenia is now Orthodox.

November 1573: A boundary dispute, but I think it's with Ming at this point, so I decline, forgetting I'd get some warning if Ming wanted to DOW. I won't make this mistake again.

January 1574: Our last slider move to Centralization. As soon as "Resist Western Influences" disappears and I recover the stab hit, I can modernize. Wait, no stab hit this time? Just a small revolt? Even better!

February 1574: I finally remember that Pskov still has my core and is still independent. To war!

chapter8february1574.jpg

Prussia honors the warning, but I'm shockingly unconcerned -- this is not the Prussia of Vicky 2.

Our diplomats get crossed, because Pskov asks me to honor our now gone alliance (I think I still had a guarantee). I try to join this war too, since I'd love to vassalize Lithuania, but the game realizes I can't be at war and allied with the same power (unless I'm Georgia), so I don't get to DOW. Drat.

chapter8february15742.jpg

March 1574: The end of Pskov. Now all the Russian minors are gone!

chapter8march1574.jpg

Still at war with Prussia, though. I expand the bureaucracy -- I was loathe to do this for a while, because it does decrease your national tax modifier by 5%, but I start to feel a magistrate pinch, and +.25 a year is pretty good.

April 1574: The end of Nogai!

chapter8april1574.jpg

I'm occupying Estland, which belongs to Prussia, but I ask Riga to let me through so I can occupy the rest of Prussia. This should be a good test against a smaller Western power.

June 1574: I realize that I don't have a good enough Admin leader (you need 7) to modernize, so I accept another resistance of western influences until I can get a new leader.

September 1574: I "win" the battle of Memel. I actually was so concerned about the casualties I loaded as Prussia to see if they had Prussian military reforms -- they did not. Stupid Western units.

chapter8september1574.jpg

A core on Abkhazia from a boundary dispute, eh? I know where I'm going after this war :D

November 1574: I eliminate the Prussian Army. Time to occupy.

chapter8november1574.jpg

Local fortifications in Kostroma. It seems this event (Fortification Effort) actually expires in ten years, but I could have sworn it was permanent. Maybe I have my events confused?

December 1574: Prussia loses independence, Estland, and 25 ducats.

chapter8december1574.jpg

January 1575: Apparently Estland was a bad idea :(

chapter8january1574.jpg

What's weird about this is that I'll lose it six months later, regain it the next month, and all without any territorial changes. Maybe it's a chance to happen kind of thing, but if I included every time I lost it and regained it, I'd probably have to make a whole update for overextension.

Prussia signs an alliance and I start a Weapons Manufactory in Tambow.

December 1575: Denmark becomes Norway's vassal. I can only sit and laugh.

February 1576: An election! I'd like to modernize (and get rid of Overextension for a while), so I go administrative. I get Fyodor Semenov, 6/3/5. Sigh. At least I lose Overextension.

June 1576: Land 22. I begin sending gold to Switzerland, so I can eventually get an alliance.

July 1577: Fur in Yeniseysk.

August 1577: Kexholm converts.

December 1577: Trade 18.

August 1578: I decide to sponsor Patriots in Abkhazia to see if I can get what I want without war. I get the Patriots, but Georgia finds out and breaks the alliance in September. If you insist...

October 1578: No more military access through Georgia.

November 1578: 100 ducats from the usual place. Manchu also gives up some more territory to Ming in the east.

March 1579: War with Georgia! Wait, a war between Georgia and Russia over Abkhazia? Why does that seem so familiar?

chapter8march1579.jpg

September 1579: I hire a 6* Sheriff, replacing my 1* Commandant, for a boost 0f 6% to my national tax modifier.

October 1579: I kill most of the Georgian army.

November 1579: I peace out for Abkhazia and Kaffa. I wanted Alania too, for the gold, but WE is pretty high in the Caucasus Mountains.

February 1580: I try for another new bureaucratic candidate. Demyan Menshikov, at 8/6/8, is a keeper!

June 1580: Grain in Sayan.

August 1580: I finally start on the Textile Manufactory God asked me for years ago.

January 1581: Alimuly, a Kazakh province, defects. Since I've already got a border with Ming, there's no reason not to continue to expand (well, except for overextension).

April 1581: Border Dispute with Austria -- I have zero interest, so I take the -1 prestige.

June 1581: Switzerland finally signs an alliance with me, which should keep the HRE off my back.

October 1581: Military modernization, as "Resist Western Influences" expires. The land descends into chaos...

chapter8october1582.jpg

That's it for now! Sometime next week, you'll get another update and the State of the Republic for 1600.

Last edited:
Finally you get some units that can stand up to the Europeans!

Oh, and China is at the gates...they always tend to be pretty quickly in DW!

Feedback​

Boris -- It sure is. Without it, I'd be forced to get QftNW before I could colonize Siberia.

Ashantai -- I've never seen Ming go this far west this quickly -- and they pay for it, with provinces defecting right and left. Oh, and a sneak preview, I do more than merely "stand up" to the Europeans :D

loki100 -- The pace gets a lot more jerky -- some years I'll take four or five provinces, some none.

I'm up to 1618 right now, and at one point I'm fighting like five wars at once :eek: It's getting a bit challenging managing this much land, but so far it's a blast, and I'm always busy.

NI Question: Colonial Ventures, Bill of Rights, Patron of the Arts, or QftNW? The only reason the last one is on the list is that very soon I'll have the East Indian Trade route modifier, and I need QftNW for that. Government 25 is coming soon, which is the next NI.

Patron of the Arts is useful, especially in DW where Magistrates are needed for buildings. I find Bill of Rights rather useless as -2RR is really nothing special. QftNW is possibly useful, but provided you can explore Siberia in other ways it's not really worth it. Colonial Ventures against hordes or to colonise Siberia is definitely useful.

I'd go with Ventures, personally. More colonists is always good - even if you don't have many horde enemies left.

Feedback​

Thanks, Boris and Ashantai! I ended up going with Colonial Ventures, but I did get a new idea -- I'm going to take your suggestion, Boris, but in reverse. I'll eventually switch from CV to QftNW, since I'll probably finish with Siberia in the next fifty years or so.

I'm going to do an earlier update than I thought, but the next one may take longer -- I've got a ways to go before I'm where I'd like to be, gameplay wise. But, the good news is you'll get the next update now and a State of the Republic! :cool:

Chapter 9: Taking the new army for a test drive

December 1581: With -3 stability, we enter the "sit very still and hope nobody gets any ideas" phase of this AAR. I don't keep track of rebellions, normally, but they're sprouting all over the place, and about 90% of my army is just chasing down rebel stacks. I have seven rebellions right now -- it'll get worse. I thought for a moment I'd fallen into PrawnStar's awesome AAR of the Golden Horde :eek:

Samara cores, so I guess that's good news.

January 1582: End of Religious War in Burgundy. I hope they don't get any more lust for Scandinavian provinces.

February 1582: High quality troops get us 10 prestige. Four rebellions going on.

September 1582: Six new rebel stacks spawn, mostly Russian particularists, which is extra nasty. I actually give in and take the Decentralization and -20 prestige hit -- anything to give me some peace and quiet.

December 1582: This seems to be a good move, so far, since things are quieter (still get at least one or two in a month, though, which is a far cry from the way I normally do things.) Kouban cores.

June 1583: Regain one stab point -- currently five active rebellions.

November 1583: Down to two rebellions -- Kalmykia cores.

December 1583: Two rebellions. I hire a 3* Engineer to help with forts. This should help buy more time if the natives get even more restless.

January 1584: Two rebellions. I have to take a loan here -- I'm at max stability to recover, but the economy isn't quite big enough to still produce a profit.

February 1584: Menshikov is reelected. Four rebellions. I relocate my embassy to Alimuly, on the border with Ming, since the area around the old one cored.

March 1584: Naval 19. No new rebellions for the first time in a while. To celebrate, Switzerland calls me to arms. I worked really hard to get the Swiss alliance, but I'm just not ready for a major war right now.

chapter9march1584.jpg

With serious rebel problems, Austria's a bit too tough to crack. I'll almost immediately start spending money to re-establish the alliance.

October 1584: Now at stab -1. Two rebellions, but I can already tell they're leveling off.

March 1585: I take Estland out of the HRE. No free manpower from my territories, Burgundy! Only one rebellion, but it's in a really bad place and I'm about to lose a province.

May 1585: Kachinsk produces copper. That's easy enough to remember. One rebellion right now -- I had to recapture the other province. None of these are crippling -- thank goodness there are no huge Vicky 2 style rebellions -- but they are a bit annoying. My Textile Manufactory in Kostroma is finished -- now God wants a University in Tula. He didn't see fit to fork over any cash, though. I've got to take out another loan just to stay solvent.

June 1585: A solid win for Switzerland + her vassals. I think I picked the right horse here. I send a congratulatory gift of 28.5 ducats.

chapter9july1585.jpg

October 1585: Sarai cores. Kexholm wants lower taxes or a huge revolt. I'll take -10% off local taxes for four years, especially in a place that isn't terribly important, economically. One rebellion, but another province could fall soon.

November 1585: Back at stab zero. A new rebellion starts, and one is at 65% with the walls breached. I hate traveling in Siberia :mad:

February 1586: Tobolsk is now in rebel hands and that army has moved on. Kharkov converts, which I guess is nice.

June 1586: Slider move time! I choose Plutocracy. Rebellion in Bersh, and the slider move triggers another rebellion in Bogujtar.

September 1586: A new alliance is signed with Switzerland. Huzzah!

November 1586: Switzerland asks for help again. I feel a little comfortable with pitching in this time, so I agree.

chapter9november1586.jpg

I'm made alliance leader. Utrecht is their alliance leader -- I start looking for MA agreements to get to them.

Brandenburg and Lithuania quickly agree. Apparently, fearing for its very life, Utrecht offers white peace. I accept, which is the best of all possible worlds. Switzerland has confidence in me now, and Europe recognizes the awe-inspiring Russian war machine. Excellent!

chapter9november15862.jpg

December 1586: Up to +1 in stability now. For the first time in a long time, there are no rebels ransacking my country.

December 1587: Things are so quiet all I have to report is another boost to stability, +2 now. With no rebellions, I start getting antsy. Where do we go now?

January 1588: How about two province minor Khiva? :D

chapter9january1588.jpg

Both Syria and Iraq are in no possession to do anything about it. The Crusade has begun!

I take a peek at the Ottomans -- they're starting to retake their land. Interesting. The capital is still in Thrace, so I shall sit and wait patiently. Meanwhile, I add Transylvania to my SOI.

February 1588: Menshikov re-elected.

April 1588: Carpathia converts.

So long Khiva!

chapter9april1588.jpg

May 1588: Poor quality iron ore means infantry and cavalry are a little more expensive, yet oddly enough, not artillery. Even with copper being the primary component of these cannons, you'd still need some iron, you'd think. Oh well.

July 1588: White peace with Yemen and Syria.

August 1588: I make Transylvania an ally. This is as much to keep Austria out as it is any huge benefit for me.

November 1588: Since I've got a centralized state, I get a 2.5% National Tax bonus for four months. Sweet!

December 1588: +3 stability.

July 1589: Crimea cores.

August 1589: Boundary dispute with Ming on Kerey -- I take it this time. I won't start a war over it -- I've got Holy War on Ming whenever I want it and this province isn't a big deal -- but I'm no longer too cowardly to accept it, which is progress. :D

October 1589: Cherson cores.

February 1590: Land 23 and my first western infantry! (I got Latin Caracole Cavalry as soon as I modernized). Russia's army will now be composed of Charge Infantry. Cherkassk converts at the news.

May 1590: I'm even paying off loans. Russia is back on track, ladies and gentlemen!

August 1590: Pensa cores.

January 1591: Shaybind defects from Ming, taking three provinces in Central Asia. I DOW them (Shaybind, not Ming) quickly before anybody can ally them.

chapter9january1591.jpg

March 1591: Naval 20. You're in for it now, Shaybind! :rolleyes:

July 1591: Ming takes one of her provinces back before I could siege. I'll settle for the rest.

Chapter9_July15912.jpg

August 1591: White peace with Syria, who joined as DotF for Sunnis.

December 1591: The university of Nizhni Novgorod gives me ten cultural tradition. Their motto: "Upon entering this institution, young people will not hear any empty thoughtless words or any sounds without a meaning. Here, they will be taught the things that actually exist." That's the actual motto of Lobachevsky State University in Nizhny Novgorod. No metaphysics for them!

January 1592: I hire a 2* Commandant.

March 1592: Menshikov remains Posadnik for another term.

November 1592: Time to cause more trouble. I send a spy to Georgia to check on their army. It would seem they don't have one at the moment. Time to strike!

chapter9december1592.jpg

The Hansa honors, but I'm pretty sure they won't interfere. They aren't even alliance leader.

January 1593: Shocked that I could declare war on my fellow Orthodox Christians, Menshikov keels over and dies. I choose a military candidate, forgetting about how tenuous my grip on stability is. Konstantin Patrikeev is the new leader, and an impressive one too, with 5/9/7. Unfortunately, that 5 is a bit of a problem. It puts me into overextension. I decide, at this point, I actually don't care all that much. I want that Georgian gold and to stop crossing the Caucasus Mountains.

March 1593: I am victorious!

chapter9march1593.jpg

April 1593: I replace the Commandant with a 4* Master of Mint. Death to Inflation!

June 1593: Local fortifications in Nizhny Novgorod.

September 1593: Irkutsk will produce Iron. Very nice.

October 1593: Trade tech 19.

August 1594: Astrakhan cores. That should be a huge shot in the arm for the economy.

October 1594: Portugal discovers Japan. Good for them.

March 1595: One stability recovered from the Georgian war.

October 1595: Fur in Bratsk.

January 1596: Stupid political crisis gives me three infamy.

February 1596: Mighty Norway tells me to straighten up and fly right.

August 1596: Poor government policies costs me a significant chunk of change (1250.00 ducats) -- the alternative is a stab hit. My way is cheaper in the end, I think.

October 1596: Huge Siberian Revolt in Tyumen -- 15 regiments, +10 to revolt risk and -10% to manpower for 6 months. That's no fun.

December 1596: I lose a bunch of government research. That hurts!

January 1597: Kazakhs pays me .5 ducats a month for peace. I think it's a rip off on my end, but I can't demand more. Patrikeev is reelected.

August 1597: 100 gold from Benign Neglect.

September 1597: Ming annexes Wu.

November 1597: Lan Xang is next.

March 1598: I get the Veterans of Foreign Wars event -- 150 ducats for -2 immediately to WE, +.5 to Army Tradition and -.01 a month for WE is an awesome deal, plus a nice little local manpower boost (in this case in Kharkov).

Tannu Tuva defects to us from Mongol Khanate, who broke away from Ming.

May 1598: Naval Tech 21.

July 1598: Altai defects. Since Ming is occupying the rest of the country and I can't touch it, I force them to concede defeat.

January 1599: The Ufa twins core.

April 1599: A move to the max centralization I can get with this government. Triggered a small revolt.

June 1599: Berezov cores.

July 1599: The end of overextension (for now). Also, as it turns out, the end of this update.

On to the 50 year update!

Last edited:
State of the Republic: 1600

Here's a map of Russia --

sotr1600russia.jpg

Only one real threat borders me now, Bohemia. There are bits and pieces of Ming, but a lot of these provinces will defect to one of the hordes, so right now, Ming isn't on the radar. Other scary powers exist, to be sure, but none are a direct threat to me (like GB or Castille).

The Court --

sotr1600court.jpg

No one too surprising here -- that High Judge was a life saver during modernization. In my perfect world, I'd have a 6* Sheriff, 6* Master of Mint, and 6* Commandant.

Overview of my economy --

sotr1600economy.jpg

I'm still paying off loans from modernization -- if I remember correctly I had four loans out. It's my second biggest expense, as you can see here. The Production buildings are really doing great for the economy, as are the manufactories (Manufactories count as production, right?).

My revenue --

sotr1600revenue.jpg

I actually get more, on a yearly basis, from production than taxation, with tolls coming in second. From the wiki,
Tolls

Tolls are generated by every non-overseas province and they depend on the population of every province, its base tax and the Trade Efficiency of the nation.

The equation for the monthly Tolls for a colony is:

10 x Population Units
----------------------- x Trade Efficiency

The equation for a city is:

10 + Population Units
----------------------- x Trade Efficiency

Please note that the formula for Population Units differs itself between a colony and a city. As can be seen in the relevant page the base tax of a province has no effect on the Population Units of a colony.
Retrieved from "http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Taxes#Tolls"
Categories: IN | Economy

Here manufactories are listed separately. Looks like I need to crack the whip on Prussia -- it's not bringing in much money.

My costs --

sotr1600costs.jpg

Ouch, interest was number two on the list. Loans can be very expensive mid-game. Nothing else to see here, really. Army maintenance dwarfs everything else.

My economy compared to the rest of the world --

sotr1600globaleconomy.jpg

I have double GB's economy and half the inflation. :D My ally, Switzerland, is number 5. Oman and Toulouse are kind of surprising, and neither will last. Parma's pretty much gone at this point.

CoTs --

sotr1600cot.jpg

It is nice having the fourth and fifth CoT in the world. Hansa is still embargoing me.

The Russian Army --

sotr1600armynavy.jpg

Still no artillery yet, but that will change. I'm over naval forcelimits because I built a Black Sea Fleet of transports to take Thrace, before I could get there by land. Now they just kind of sit there. At least they keep the pirates away.

My army compared to the world --

sotr1600globalarmies.jpg

Burgundy is a little closer to no. 1 than I'd like, but they're HRE, so I can't do a whole lot about that. Everyone else is either irrelevant (GB and Castille; I won't go to war over some Ottoman provinces unless one of them is Thrace), or too far away (Bihar and Persia), or an ally (Switzerland). Ming, Bohemia, Burgundy, and Austria are the serious players besides me. France is an OPM vassal of Burgundy :eek:

My first appearance on this chart, global navies --

sotr1600globalnavies.jpg

I'm sure Great Britain and Castille feel threatened. I still don't have many coastal provinces, and as you can tell, a little less than half of my ships are transports. I'd build a bigger navy, but I'm not sure I need one.

Techs, sorted by land --

sotr1600techs.jpg

Only two non-minors there -- Russia and Switzerland. I haven't even gone crazy on Weapons Manufactories, but I will soon.

Sliders --

sotr1600sliders.jpg

Pies --

sotr1600pies.jpg

I have every non-Pagan religion in the game except Hinduism and Shinto (still no Judaism, right?), and I'll add one of those in the next update (hint: It's not Shinto). That core to non-core ratio is troubling. It'll get better.

Finally, the world as we know it --

eu3maprus1600111.jpg

I'm by far the biggest country in the world. That's Burgundy in the southern US (south and west of the Carolinas) and western coast of South America - it might be hard to distinguish from GB, who has surprisingly few colonies. The biggest shocker is the rest of South America, which is New Italy -- Parma, Naples, and Savoy have all colonized significant chunks. I've never seen Italian states in the New World before -- I usually don't see Burgundy either, but then again, Burgundy is largely France at this point.

That's it for 1600. Next update may not be until next weekend -- I want to get at least up to 1650. Until then, enjoy!

Last edited:
Next update is still on track for this weekend -- I'm making a lot of progress, and may be as far as 1700 before then.

THat's fantastic progress! Mega congrats on your expansion.

I love seeing a good Russia expand!

Feedback​

Boris -- :rofl:

Ashantai -- Thanks!

I forgot something about 1650 -- the loss of Holy War CBs :( I'm still burning off some infamy, so I'm not too worried about things short term, but all I have right now is worthless CBs, and I'm pretty much solely into manufactory missions at this point. Rather than sit around twiddling my thumbs, I can see three options:

1) Go Republican Dictatorship for the Imperialism CB. I'm lukewarm on this idea -- on the one hand it does solve the problem nicely, but on the other hand I don't really think it "counts" as a true Republic, which it makes it a bit shaky for this AAR.

2) Take Unam Sanctam as my next NI. The Wiki is a bit confusing, and I don't know if it would re-establish my Holy War CB or not. This is probably my preferred solution. I went through the code for the CB, and it seems like 1650 is the permanent death for Holy War -- somebody more skilled with code than me can take a look below:

Code:
# Holy War
cb_crusade = {
	mutual = yes

badboy_factor = 0.25
	prestige_factor = 1.25
	peace_cost_factor = 1.0
	nomad = no

prerequisites = {

OR = {
			religion_group = christian
			religion_group = muslim
		}
		NOT = { religion_group = THIS }
		OR = {
			government = imperial_government
			defender_of_faith = yes
			neighbour = THIS
			AND = {
				THIS = { is_crusade_target = yes }
				religion = catholic
			}
			idea = deus_vult # Actually "Unam Sanctam"
			idea = divine_supremacy
		}
		NOT = { year = 1650 }
	}

allowed_provinces = {
		always = yes
	}

po_demand_provinces = yes
	po_annex = yes

country_desc = ALL_INFIDELS
	prov_desc = ALL_PROVS
	war_name = CRUSADE_WAR_NAME
}

3) Ignore CBs, ignore infamy, take what I want when I want. I've never gone over the BB limit in EU, and frankly, I'm a bit nervous about doing so. A WC is out of the question -- I'm in 1650 and there just isn't enough time left (more importantly, my navy strikes fear in the hearts of no one).

The super long term solution would be 4) Revolutionary Republic, which has tremendous appeal for me, but it'll take a long time to get it and I might run out of time there too.

So, what do you folks think? To help you decide, I've got an update coming up for you :) Think of it as a bribe.