• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Elmokki

Colonel
109 Badges
Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
Republic of Krakow - Rescurrection of Poland? - The first Krakow AAR.

Sorry about bad english, I'm still writing this for my own fun :)
-----------------------------------------------

1836-1840: Starting to build the economy

krakow.JPG

Krakow - the tiny spot between Prussia, Austria and Russia, what could that nation be? It had about 1.2 million population, and almost half of them were capitalists.

First thing to do, was to set punitive taxes, and high education investment.

After humilating Krakow in the eyes of world by changing the intellectual establishment once, the reseach of freedom of trade was started.

freedomoftrade.JPG

When the freedom of trade was invented, started a huge debate on what should be built. The capitalists wanted luxury furniture industry, and the coal miners wanted a cement factory to produce more expensive goods from their coal. After all, luxury furniture industry was build.

After the industry was ready and 100000 coal miners were trained to work on the factories, the luxury furniture brought a great amount of money, so many reforms were made - All political freedoms, Smallest possible social freedoms to every category, expect healthcare, which got 'Good' reforms - the best on the world.
besthealthcare.JPG

popgrowth.JPG

The population growth also rose from 0.07% to 0.23%, it more than tripled!

Now there wasn't enough precious metal for the world, demand over 2500, and supply only 1! Krakow really needed precious metal for training clerks.

The situation on machine parts was a bit better, supply 1 and demand of about 250. Machine parts were needed to expand the luxury furniture industry in Krakow.

Another rising question was, what country we should build relations with?

Russia had the old polish heartlands, they could be possibly bought.
Austria had lots of polish territory, but their territory had lots of ukrainians and
ruthenians also.
Prussia had a great military might to protect Krakow, but
their polish territories were also claimed by them.

----------
Daily income at the end: £36.8
Daily income at the start: £4.8

Export at the end: 131
Import at the end: 21
Top 3 traded goods: Tropical wood, coal, furniture (all but coal imported)

Population at the end: 1.282 million
Population at the start: 1.196 million

Tech got during the episode: Freedom of Trade, Ad-Hoc Money Bill Printing, Stock exchange

Last edited:
Interesting. You now, clergymen could be trained instead of labourers, so you don't lose precious inbringings.

Anyway, great beginning. I'll follow this one.

Well, I was sparing my ~7000 clergymen because retraining them would lead to atheism, but they are also taken care of in the next part :p

Good luck!
Where are you going to get soldiers? Your population is even smaller than Texas. :confused:

EDIT: Oops! Texas got only 160 000 citizens. Silly me! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
1840-1848: Mad times, economically and politically
It was dull until the change of intellectual establishment was forgotten. It was time to choose the ally. Not an easy choice, but Russia was chosen. The second choice would have been Prussia. Prussia had great technology advantange to trade, but Russia had so much polish territory, and enough military might. Building relations is slow work though.

Then August 6th, 1840, started an economical disaster - there wasn't enough furniture to supply the luxury furniture industry. It seemed that someones industry was burned down or something. Happily the furniture supply got up again, but this was a warning - Krakow needed to have different industries, or supply its own industries.

Then, more problems - A minister was assasinated, no-one knew why, but that brought great chaos, and prestige dropped greatly.

Supply of furniture dropped again in the end of August, and some workers had to be unemployed to have enough furniture in the factories.
nofurniture1.JPG

Krakow also started to store furniture, an order to buy 1000 pieces of furniture was given, though the order was never filled.
buy1000furniture.JPG

The order didn't kill economy, as there was very little amount of furniture available.

In October, the furniture supply had normalized a bit, andpart of the workers could make luxury furniture again.

At the start of the year 1842, Krakow started getting machine parts, soon furniture- and luxury cloth factories were made.
furnitureandluxuryclothfactoriescoming.JPG

No good without bad - the supply of furniture almost stopped, and furniture stock was drained quickly. The factory didn't have almost any supply of furniture, and Krakow started losing money. Krakow had to survive until next year, when the furniture factory would be ready.
problemsatincome.JPG

The image is from the better moments

By selling machine parts and cloth stocks, Krakow survived. Now there wasn't enough cloth to train more workers to factories, or run luxury cloth factory. Still Krakow made profit with its furniture factory and luxury furniture factory now.

Then there was cloth at start of the year 1844. Luxury cloth factory started running and was expanded, and furniture supplies in the world market normalized a bit. So, the luxury cloth factory was expanded. The availability of cloth also lead to a massive re-education program - all soldiers, priests and coal miners were trained to work in factories, now there were only clerks, craftsmen and capitalists in Krakow.

When the expansion on luxury cloth factory was complete, it was seen, that more profit could be made by centering production on luxury cloth, and that was done, though the profit was "only" about £10 per day higher.

Then, even more annoying problems - a newpaper attacked goverment, and Krakow was at the bottom again.

Near the end of the year 1846, there seemed to be a lot of polish nationalism, there were revolts in Austria and Prussia. Krakow would have wanted to help the rebels, but it didn't want to risk its independence.
polishrevolts.JPG

Soon Krakow heard odd news: Russia had supported its ally, Denmark, in the Holstein-Schleswig question, and a great war had started: Denmark, Russia, Holstein and Sweden versus Prussia, Austria and Hannover. Krakow was in the middle of the action. Soon Russia asked to form a defensive alliance with Krakow, the question was why, but as it helped Krakow more than Russia, it was accepted.

After about an year of war, Russia had moved their lines a bit forward in Prussia, but Austria had also moved its lines a bit forward in the south. What will this war lead to?

austroprusso-russianfront1848.JPG

Front lines at the start of the year 1848

The war had also dropped the price of the luxuries Krakow was selling, but fortunately not too much, the income peak was over £100 per day, but it dropped to £76.1 per day.

--------
Daily income at the end: £76.1
Daily income at the start: £36.8

Export at the end: 250
Import at the end: 47
Top 3 traded goods: Luxury clothes, clothes, silk (all but luxury clothes imported)

Population at the end: 1.600 million
Population at the start: 1.282 million

Tech got during the episode: Malthusian thought, Early classical theory and critique, Business banks, Private Bank Money Bill Printing, Ideological thought, Collectivist theory

Originally posted by m45tion87
Good luck!
Where are you going to get soldiers? Your population is even smaller than Texas. :confused:

EDIT: Oops! Texas got only 160 000 citizens. Silly me! :rolleyes:

I haven't thought that, but I guess that as my population grows very quickly (that's the aim of a good health care), I can supply some 50k soldier pop later, and ally with someone. Also, mobilization may help.

1848-1852: First expansion

Cloth supply wasn't steady, it changed from no supply to high supply, and the
incomes jumped from down to high, and dropped, and did it again. This was very annoying when looked from graphs, but otherwise it didn't mean anything.

jumpingeconomy.JPG

Economy is jumpy today!

front1849.JPG

Front in 1849

March 1st, 1849, Austria singed a status quo peace with Denmark, and Russia centered its attack on Prussia, the situation got harder and harder.

The peace of Austria was only a good thing for Krakow - an angry Austrian
officer, Hermann Klauswich, defected to Krakow, though it wasn't too good in
Krakow neither, no army to command.

After an another year of war, Russia had advanced a great amount, the situation in Prussia started to look grim.
At the start of December 1850, it seemed that Berlin would fall soon, but
before the end of the year, Russia lost some parts of its spearhead.
front1850.JPG

Front in 1850

In the summer Russia had lost her spearhead completely, but had strengthened her position in northern Purssia, Danzig and surrounging areas were controlled by Russia.

November 26th, 1850, Krakow got message that Berlin had fallen, Prussia was on the way to a loss.
berlinfalling.JPG

At the end of the year Russia made a fair peace, borderprovince of Allenstein
to Russia, and Prussia was forced to pay war indemnities for next 3 years.
peace.JPG

Denmark was still in war with Prussia though.

Russia wasn't very peaceful, almost immediatly it attacked to Ottoman Empire, and got herself into war with Great Britain and Serbia.

During the war Krakow had finally got precious metals, and a lot of clerks were trained - most of the Krakowians were craftsmen, now most of the Krakowians were clerks. This helped reseach greatly (0.77 -> 2.29 RP/month!), and production a bit.
workforce.JPG

Near the end of year 1851, again problems in Krakow were forgotten, and Krakow dared to neogiate with its best friend, mother Russia. The neogiations were a good surprise, Russians sold everything with very cheap prices.

Krakow gave innovations of Idealism, Ideological thought, Late classical
theory, Market structure and Stock exhange, and £134000 pounds, but what Krakow got in exchange, was a lot more than was expected: Innovation of Expirimental railroads, and provinces of Kalisz, Lodz, Skierniewice, Kielce and Radom! New
neogiations will be opened as soon as possible, if the results will be even one
tenth of these, Krakow will be happy.

grownkrakow.JPG

However, reason of cheap price was soon found, every province had under 2000 people. Poland had been raped.

-----------
Daily income at the end: Very jumpy, about same as last.
Daily income at the start: £76.1

Export at the end: 338
Import at the end: Very jumpy
Top 3 traded goods: Very jumpy

Population at the end: 1.840 million
Population at the start: 1.600 million

Tech got during the episode:
- By reseaching: Practical steam engine, Idealism, Military staff system, Basic chemistry
- By trade: Expirimental railroad

I guess that the polish people will ahve to do some good old humping to get back up, build some booze factories and your population will be up in no time...

A option for the goverment in it's policy for more people should be in the game maybe in a patch....

The more pop the more food needed...therefor china would be interested in not getting more pop while krakow would support it....

"come on, 10 kids no problem you'll get 10 gold coins if you do it!"

:D

Originally posted by Ladislav
an amazing AAR! good luck, ill keep reading.
love the pics
Thanks

Originally posted by Wämö
Great update!
Thanks

Originally posted by MegaPIMP
I guess that the polish people will ahve to do some good old humping to get back up, build some booze factories and your population will be up in no time...

A option for the goverment in it's policy for more people should be in the game maybe in a patch....

The more pop the more food needed...therefor china would be interested in not getting more pop while krakow would support it....

"come on, 10 kids no problem you'll get 10 gold coins if you do it!"

:D
Well, you can never have too much POPs now, and grain is cheap, so thay could lead to mega-one-province Krakow :rofl:

Good idea, but there would need to be much tweaking to get it work historically, and with balance.

1852-1861: More expansion, more infrastructure, more money
First thing to do, was to update the railroad network, three of the provinces
Krakow had bought had already railroad, but two didn't, and Krakow itself didn't have. It didn't take long to build those simple expirimental railroads, they were ready in June 1852.
expirimentalrailroad.JPG

Next thing to do, was to start training Krakowian Cityguards, all the resources

were bought, and the few people in newly bought area were conscripted. First Krakowian army ever was ready in August.
cityguards.JPG

At the start of year 1854 Krakow bought Warsaw, that cost a lot of money, 4 inventions and over £200000. Warsaw had a bit more population.

Elections of May 1854 were revolutionary, instead of the traditional Liberal party, Agrarian party won. This was something rare, as almost all of the years Krakow was ruled by Liberals, excluding the first years.
agrarianswin.JPG

In June Krakowian army had doubled again, though 24000 men was pathetic compared to Russia, Austria or Prussia.

Year 1856 leaded to new expansion, province of Plock was bought with price of two inventions and £100000, expansion by economy isn't cheap. And Plock was same as many of the other polish provinces - low-populated and poor.

The rapid expansion policy continued in the next year, province of Spiff was bought at the price of £16000 and two inventions. It was as poor as Plock was.

In February 1857 the situation in Europe was boiling again, France asked Krakow to attack Russia, but Krakow had to decline, which leaded to a humilation, but peace. The new great war was very hard for Russia, Russia versus Ottoman Empire, Great Britain, France, Serbia, Moldavia, Belgium and Spain. This war could become interesting.
notgreatgreatwar.JPG

...but it didn't, Russia got two provinces from Ottomans.

Rapid expansion continued in 1859, when £75000 and two inventions were traded to province of Sulwalki and invention of Iron railroads. Iron railroads leaded to fast upgrading of railways. In same year Liberals got the power again.

expansion1861.JPG

Krakow after the neogiations of year 1859

It taked time until summer 1860 to build iron railroads to whole Krakow, but it was worth of it, as production effidency increased highly.

-----------
Daily income at the end: £629.4 (Railroads really are cheap and profitable :) )
Daily income at the start: Very jumpy, about same as last.

Export at the end: 1114
Import at the end: 65
Top 3 traded goods: Luxury furniture, Tropical wood, Luxury clothes (Tropical wood imported)

Population at the end: 2.411 million
Population at the start: 1.840 million

Tech got during the episode:
- By reseaching: Positivism, Mechanical production, Organized factories, Romanticism, The historical theory, Investment banks, State & Government, Central Bank Money Bill Printing
- By trade: Iron Railroad

Last edited:
Originally posted by tuna
I bet everyone's expecting a march onwards to Gdansk and then to Warsaw now :)

Warsaw is owned by Russia, not their core, and doesn't have too large amount of russians, so it is pretty cheap to buy (Well, until this the most expensive) Though it would be more glorious to march Poles there ;)

Gdansk, or Danzig, will propably captured by war. It is too hard to buy large areas of lands that are prussian cores and have major number of germans :)

I hope those austrian polish provinces have more population...

Oh, and by the way. I'm thinking about scripting an event which makes me become Poland, what do you think I need to have for that event to fire? I thought owning Danzig (Gdansk), Warsaw and Krakow, maybe couple "key provinces" also, would be enough.

Great update - again. What is your plan for the Krakowian republic?

Originally posted by Wämö
Great update - again. What is your plan for the Krakowian republic?

I knew that Krakow survives pretty easily, as no-one of the great powers dares to sacrifice so much prestige for just one more province. Otherwise it would have been surviving

My goals now are to re-create Poland (and as I said, maybe scripting & switching tag to Poland), and to be one of the european great powers. This goal will take a long time, as polish people from Russia have immigrated a lot, and there isn't too much population in my nation, same number of provinces from middle-germany would make me a killing machine :) I think my economy would stand making a "few" soldiers. I have two 100k clerk POPs and one 100k capitalist pop in Krakow, and couple of about 50k sized pops :p

Maybe I'll be getting immigrated poles from some poor countries by war, if I'll get a harbor (maybe buying a seperate harbor from Russia?) :D