Render Pictures of the 100 Year War Units

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Absolutely love the models - unfortunately none of them belonging to nations I have a particular interest in playing really.

I'd like to see some future sprite packs for the 'what-if' nations, like Germany, Italy, the HRE, etc. I think that'd be a really nice touch/incentive to pursue!

You guys should really consider finding a way to showcase them better in game, because they look great, but I know that I and probably most other players spend 99.8% of the time zoomed out so far that the units are just a little shield and strength number. It's simply not practical to play at the zoom level where you can appreciate the units.

Maybe the actual 3d units could show up flanking battle results? Like this:
uQ4ke3l.jpg

(pardon the very crude photoshop)

You could even have a backdrop behind them representing the terrain the battle was fought on. That would look cool.

Great idea!

I absolutely love the Hundred Years War unit models, as well as this thread. It's just a shame most of the countries are gone within the first couple of decades of the game.

Keep up the great work, and keep us informed!

You guys should really consider finding a way to showcase them better in game, because they look great, but I know that I and probably most other players spend 99.8% of the time zoomed out so far that the units are just a little shield and strength number. It's simply not practical to play at the zoom level where you can appreciate the units.

uQ4ke3l.jpg

You could even have a backdrop behind them representing the terrain the battle was fought on. That would look cool.

That would be awesome and add a lot to visual flavor.

uQ4ke3l.jpg

Also could have them in deferent poses depending on the outcome of the battle.

Pike and Shot tactics were the dominant battlefield tactics of the post enlightenment, pre-napoleonic era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_and_shot

Thanks for the link, but what about the first ~50 years when pike and shot was not invented yet. Condotta and Landsknecht and Infantry comes with Level 10. Tercio Infantry with Level 12.

I like models for 'Men at Arms', 'Longbow' and 'Galloglaigh Infantry'.

Amazing models, Lando! A job well done indeed!

I do love the units for Brittany, Armagnac and Burgundy! I think the one for France is great but I would like to see that one (helmet visor down) in the cavalry. And congrats to the user who made the Plantagenet England unit too!

One question though: Will the Paradox South team the only responsible to create the unit packs in the future? It is just that I saw there are some MoTE unit packs recently released but they are not done by you guys, I think...

Could you tell us which would be the next ones you are planning to release?

uQ4ke3l.jpg

Nice Idea! Though those flags should be fit better in the picture.

Hi Peeps, great to see such good responses. Sorry for late reply, lots of stuff going on here.

Personally I think that images like these should be putted in the store page of every DLC.
Is annoying when you can read only generic information without know what you buy actually.

I totally agree. We are looking into different ways of doing this but each store has different requirements and it's really hard to make sales assets that fits in everywhere.

uQ4ke3l.jpg

Oh snap! No promises but we'll talk it over.

Like I've said to you on steam,amazing work,looking for more unit DLC(for example some Balkan ones :p )

@Fintilgin

Now that you mention that nice idea,another one came to my mind.What about having a new army interface with every unit type(man at arms,longbowmen,etc) having its own cool picture,something like MoTE.Now THAT would be an awesome DLC.

Also a cool idea!

Thanks for posting this, it's nice to see them up close! The Breton is my favourite. Was it just the infantry that was upgraded with the DLC? I remember really liking the Breton cavalry model too.
I'd like to see those unit graphics on battle result popup, too, and it would probably sell more unit packs (when you see two identical turban-and-robe guys you're gonna realize you're missing out).
I think this type of thread would push me to buy these graphical DLCs in future, as well, especially if they were done in Dev-Diary fashion before release.

Thanks! We have talked about doing this in a more dev diary fashion as well, this proves it is a good idea! Stay tuned.

Absolutely love the models - unfortunately none of them belonging to nations I have a particular interest in playing really.

I'd like to see some future sprite packs for the 'what-if' nations, like Germany, Italy, the HRE, etc. I think that'd be a really nice touch/incentive to pursue!

Thanks! We'll put it in the idea tank!

Amazing models, Lando! A job well done indeed!

I do love the units for Brittany, Armagnac and Burgundy! I think the one for France is great but I would like to see that one (helmet visor down) in the cavalry. And congrats to the user who made the Plantagenet England unit too!

One question though: Will the Paradox South team the only responsible to create the unit packs in the future? It is just that I saw there are some MoTE unit packs recently released but they are not done by you guys, I think...

Could you tell us which would be the next ones you are planning to release?

We are not responsible for all art stuff coming out from PDS but it's safe to say that we make the majority of it. MotE is not made by Paradox South.
Regarding future DLC's: Lips are unfortunatly sealed!

Thanks for the attention, it really gives us incentive to keep pushing this kind of stuff and making nice stuff for you.

I've got to say I do happen to love these sprites. I didn't really click that they were unique to the dlc, until I spotted the Burgundian ones looking rather different to any other sprite on the map, and started poking about looking at the others. They're all great, and I'm particularly impressed at just how spot-on some of them. I'm particular fond of the bascinets.

How did I miss this thread first time round? I've admired the units many times in game - great work!

Can I really trust a frenchman to not be biased in this? ;P

The Dane agrees. Though I guess that doesn't help much in the trust department... :laugh:

I Really like the idea of the 3D-pictures framing the battle screen, that would be really great.
(even if the "battle leader" has to be chosen, so if there are multiple armies, the game knows which unit to display)

Also would've never thought about that much detail of the units.
I normally start as an OPM and see quite a lot of these units, but later in the game my country is just to big to zoom in and not to feel like not seeing something important xD

When it comes to communication in the game industry less is never more. A lot of game designers don't get this but it's nice to see Paradox definetly does. By telling us something about the work behind the DLC we get a glimpse of what trouble you went through and what decisions you made and why, I can only encourage this.