• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kviiri

Field Marshal
37 Badges
Jun 22, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Currently CK3 allows us to rename titles our characters or their subjects own. I would like to see this feature expanded a bit.

First of all, the naming supports only the formats "<Tier> of <Name>" (EDIT: with the exception of some pre-existing titles such as the Byzantine Empire). Should I want to name my Scandinavia something else, eg. Nordic Empire would be cool, that's a no go: the best we can do is "Empire of Nordic Empire" which looks fine on the map but a bit silly elsewhere. I think this would be improved by adding a checkbox to disable default formatting of the title name.

Further, I think it would be nice if the title's rank term could also be customized. It would be cool if I could, for instance, rename a particularly prosperous duchy in my realm a Grand Duchy, or a Principality. Or maybe I'd fancy the title of High King over that of an Emperor? Allowing such customization would make it more easy to have a flavorful empire.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
It would be cool if I could, for instance, rename a particularly prosperous duchy in my realm a Grand Duchy, or a Principality. Or maybe I'd fancy the title of High King over that of an Emperor? Allowing such customization would make it more easy to have a flavorful empire.
i'm concerned this might interfere with the game-generated customisation that's already there. maybe the game could show you a short list to choose from?

Reactions:
i'm concerned this might interfere with the game-generated customisation that's already there. maybe the game could show you a short list to choose from?

What in OP's suggestion is it that you don't like - I don't see how just giving the title a different name would change anything. Why would it have to be from a rigid list? Why can't I call my duchy a princedom or margrave or viscount or something else entirely. What is the point of being against it?

Further, I think it would be nice if the title's rank term could also be customized. It would be cool if I could, for instance, rename a particularly prosperous duchy in my realm a Grand Duchy, or a Principality. Or maybe I'd fancy the title of High King over that of an Emperor? Allowing such customization would make it more easy to have a flavorful empire.

It would be damn cool!

Though, I could also see more titles added. It wouldn't hurt to have somebody who have the "March" ticked off in their contract be called something special or just more titles to really cement that you have more duchies/counties/whatever.

• 1Like
Reactions:
well, say you're a count and you want to call yourself 'high chief.' all good. but what if a 'real' game-generated High Chief comes along and vassalises you? what does your title become then? i just think figuring out the answers to that sort of thing is not really worth it in terms of adding funness to the game.

that's why my suggestion was a short game-generated list so it can ensure this sort of thing doesn't become a problem.

Reactions:
well, say you're a count and you want to call yourself 'high chief.' all good. but what if a 'real' game-generated High Chief comes along and vassalises you? what does your title become then? i just think figuring out the answers to that sort of thing is not really worth it in terms of adding funness to the game.

that's why my suggestion was a short game-generated list so it can ensure this sort of thing doesn't become a problem.

I get what you are saying, but the question if it would really matter. I still think it add a tiny bit of individual flavor to the game by allowing players to name their titles themselves.
For your example: I guess it still just remains high chief? It doesn't really matter as this is mostly a single player game, and the player could just change his title accordingly. In MP, rules could be enacted against custom renaming of titles.

And like I said, having more titles to portray your power could be quite neat.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I get what you are saying, but the question if it would really matter. I still think it add a tiny bit of individual flavor to the game by allowing players to name their titles themselves.
For your example: I guess it still just remains high chief? It doesn't really matter as this is mostly a single player game, and the player could just change his title accordingly. In MP, rules could be enacted against custom renaming of titles.

And like I said, having more titles to portray your power could be quite neat.
could it be modded in? i have no idea

This is kind of already an issue. Grand Principality is used by Magyars for kingdom tier titles and by Russians for duchy tier titles.

Reactions:
It doesn't really matter as this is mostly a single player game, and the player could just change his title accordingly. In MP, rules could be enacted against custom renaming of titles.

It could be a game rule, but I don't see it being a major issue in MP beyond what we already have given the player can already rename their main title to annoy/confuse/amuse other players.

It could be a game rule, but I don't see it being a major issue in MP beyond what we already have given the player can already rename their main title to annoy/confuse/amuse other players.
Most High and Mighty Vizier of The Great Vizierate of Ulm

hy would it have to be from a rigid list? Why can't I call my duchy a princedom or margrave or viscount or something else entirely. What is the point of being against it?

Remember "Haitan Empire" was a thing.
Fully agree, title customisation is a feature that was requested for years in CK2 but never delivered. I fully expected it to be a thing in CK3 but alas, we don't even have CoA customisation.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Remember "Haitan Empire" was a thing.
Fully agree, title customisation is a feature that was requested for years in CK2 but never delivered. I fully expected it to be a thing in CK3 but alas, we don't even have CoA customisation.
They are adding a coat of arms customizer now so maybe title customization is next!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Since we're getting something related to culture, we could as well be able to change the titles of our culture, even from the main game list, would be an excelent improvement. I'm kinda sad that as Tribal Eireland I am High King and as Soon as I feudalize, it goes away with the high

• 1Like
Reactions:
As seen on the screenshots for the CoA editor, you will also be able to check a box for "short name", which presumably will force the game to use the name without "kingdom of" or "empire of" or whatever added to the front (as it is seen checked with Holy Roman Empire) - so exactly what this old thread was asking for.
2_background_panel.PNG

• 2Like
Reactions:
the thing that jumps out at me is that you can't create the Croatian arms with that WIP set of Divisions of the Field.

(You need chequy of 25 for Croatia, but they only offer chequy of 36, 64, and 100.)

the thing that jumps out at me is that you can't create the Croatian arms with that WIP set of Divisions of the Field.

(You need chequy of 25 for Croatia, but they only offer chequy of 36, 64, and 100.)
Hopefully, modders will be able to add more patterns to choose from.

Hopefully, modders will be able to add more patterns to choose from.
Hopefully.

It looks like they've lifted part of the Stellaris approach for the backgrounds, and that's *relatively* simple to add new backgrounds for the "coat of arms" the empires use.