• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fierabras

Knight Errant
41 Badges
Dec 4, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
I wasn't exactly sure whether this issue is more of a bug report than a suggestion in the strictest sense, so please take my apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Anyway, there is one thing that's bugging me lately, and that is the fact that renaming Houses just doesn't work properly when there's a prefix involved. For example, changing the nonsensical name of House "Bachaumont" to the historically accurate "Nevers" will yield character names like "Renaud Nevers" if the "de" is deleted, as the prefix just disappears. So far, so good.

However, if the player tries to avoid this by typing in the whole thing (i.e. "de Nevers"), this will yield fitting character names ("Renaud de Nevers"), but the House name itself will be displayed on the Character page, the Dynasty page etc. as "de Nevers" rather than just "Nevers", thereby not fitting in with all the other Houses and sticking out like a sore thumb.

This is not limited to the French culture, where I took my examples from, but applies to all cultures that use prefixes.

I know this is a very minor issue, but it's just annoying to have to edit my save files if I want to see changed House names correctly displayed in-game.

So, my suggestion would be to add a new text field to the renaming window that is dedicated to the prefix. That way, players could freely add or delete prefixes the way they want, and the system could differentiate between the House name that goes under the Coat of Arms, on the map etc., and the form of the name that should be used for naming characters.

Perhaps this would be something worth implementing. In any case, thank you all for your time!

• 5Like
Reactions:
That's a very good suggestion; in general, these "locative" prefixes should be reworked from the ground in general (like allow for, for example, customizations like this mentioned here, or the optional usage of patronyms as dynasty names (eg. -sson, -ing dynasties), allow for them being suffixes (eg. -i locative in Hungarian), or even make them grammatically accurate for for example Slavic cultures).

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's worse, in the event texts your family will be called "House of de Nevers", if you edit it and add in the preposition.

It's been bothering me since day 1. Please, Paradox, fix this. Allow for a small "prefix" input in which you can choose the prefix or add one yourself.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know this is a very minor issue, but it's just annoying to have to edit my save files if I want to see changed House names correctly displayed in-game.
Where exactly do I find the Prefix "location"?

Where exactly do I find the Prefix "location"?

Hey, sorry for answering just now, I totally forgot about it.

I'm not really that great at save editing, so you need to take everything with a grain of salt, but every house or dynasty has an entry in the save file, which can usually by found by searching for the name of the house, or searching for a character ID belonging to that dynasty and taking the ID of the dynasty from there. The prefix is determined by a line that usually looks something like prefix = "dynnp_de". Deleting or adding that line will modify how the name is displayed in that particular savegame, so adding it to house called name = "dynn_Lyon" will result in "de Lyon" as a character name, while the name under the CoA will still simply be "Lyon". It works the same way for all cultures using prefixes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Still waiting.

TBH, I'm surprised things like this prefix issue is in a game like this.

Same goes with changing the colours of your clothes, why is this still not a thing... I mean you can change your hair colour?

Reactions: