• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Galliad

Second Lieutenant
57 Badges
Jun 11, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Magicka
  • Semper Fi
I have played now through the game and I must say....please remove mercs from the map. they are really annoying, and at a certain point just block everything. I found myself often clicking on a territory only to almost hire a merc army. and when you zoom out you cannot see much because of all the black dots covering your empire.

When I zoom out I want to do one of two things:
1. I want to admire my empire and the beautiful map.
2. I want to look for enemy, neutral, friendly armies, OPMs I overlooked, babarians etc.

both of which I cannot do when mercs are everywhere. there is no reason to have them on the map. you could really disable them and only show them in the menu. and have them appear once they are hired.

you could instead add a mercenary map mode that highlights provinces with mercs and shows what mercs are available here by mouse over.

• 5Like
Reactions:
you could instead add a mercenary map mode that highlights provinces with mercs and shows what mercs are available here by mouse over.

I like hiring mercenaries from the map instead of the menu, but I'd be more than happy to have them shunted to another map mode, as that allows me to still hire mercs based on where they are without having them there all the time. Perhaps the armies could appear as they do now, but only on that mapmode, and mousing over the province would give detailed information on the mercs (i.e. what culture the mercs have to give them their unit layout, why they are the size they are, etc.).

• 9Like
Reactions:
I wish there would be a way to get rid of them. I mean, I do not need mercs in the heart of my empire. They are an annoyance in the best case and a threat in the worst.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Quite a long time has passed, but I think this proposal (own mapmode for mercenaries and removing them from the main map) is still something many of us would like to see in Imperator Rome.

• 4Like
Reactions:
It adds to immersion. I like the mercs on the map.
They should just be displayed in another way, while not being hired, e.g. smaller, more subtle.

It adds to immersion. I like the mercs on the map.
They should just be displayed in another way, while not being hired, e.g. smaller, more subtle.
It actually destroys immersion to see a statue standing there forever never doing anything.

And it also causes confusion. i accidentally walked one of my armies into an enemy thinking it was mercenaries and got obliterated, which of course ruined the game. So it's not just aesthetics, it's also terrible for gameplay.

Reactions:
If it wouldn't require a lot of work for the devs a toggle on/off button in the merc tab would be great. That way you can make them visible/invisible whenever you want as long as you want.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
If it wouldn't require a lot of work for the devs a toggle on/off button in the merc tab would be great. That way you can make them visible/invisible whenever you want as long as you want.
It's always the simple things like an on and off button that seem to take forever to get added, if they ever do

Reactions:
Yea, this is annoying and something that has been asked for since 2019.

Sadly, couldn't find a mod to do this either.

Reactions:
Finding a MERC now requires that you either use the "Mercenaries Tab" then hunt for the right stack that is also reasonably close
or
Zoom in on the map and scan it slowly from magnifiication 2.

Both options are time-consuming and annoying.
I'd quite like it if entering the merc menu toggled a map mode where merc-base provinces were highlighted. Green for "can employ", red for "cannot employ". Obviously, hovering over any merc army would also denote the specific province of the selected army the same way hovering over a province would. That way, you'd not only be able to see which merc armies were reliably close by, but you could also see which merc armies were unable to be hired for whatever reason - such as recovering or being hired by a potential enemy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd quite like it if entering the merc menu toggled a map mode where merc-base provinces were highlighted. Green for "can employ", red for "cannot employ". Obviously, hovering over any merc army would also denote the specific province of the selected army the same way hovering over a province would. That way, you'd not only be able to see which merc armies were reliably close by, but you could also see which merc armies were unable to be hired for whatever reason - such as recovering or being hired by a potential enemy.
That sounds like an improvement. I'd also include martial skill and force count.

What about a map mode that would set them back to the way they were before? Or better yet, use the "Mercenary Tab" but allow a "closest to" sort option. For instance, if you're the Seleukids and trying to repulse a massive early game Mauryan invasion, you'd want to be able to tell the system to list MERCs first that are closest to a province in Bactria rather than Seleukid Megale.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yes just make this. This is good.