Remind Me: Gene-Modding Psionic onto a Bio-Ascended Species

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mímisbrunnr

Colonel
14 Badges
Mar 1, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
I'm only asking as its changed around in the past and I'm playing on Ironman, so I can't "test it out" before committing to it.

I have a biologically ascended species (Robust, Erudite, Very Strong, courtesy of the Omnicodex giving me an extra trait point).

One of my protectorates just Psionically ascended, and using a template created from their pops (Species: Galaxy) I will be able to gene-mod Psionic onto my pops now if I want.

What happens these days to my leaders' pre-existing Erudite leader trait if I try gene-modding Psionic onto them? Does the leader lose out on the trait and not get the Psionic leader trait either. (This has happened before.) Do they end up both Psionic and Erudite? (This has also happened before). Does something else happen.

I know that I'll end up with Psionic-Erudite trait pops either way.

Thanks.

In 2.7 you did NOT get both on your leaders, you needed a mod to make the combo effective.

I think I remember reading patch notes that you would get both in 3.0 but I've not tested that myself, sorry for the non-answer.

In 2.7 you did NOT get both on your leaders, you needed a mod to make the combo effective.

I think I remember reading patch notes that you would get both in 3.0 but I've not tested that myself, sorry for the non-answer.
I know they changed it in the patch to you could get all three traits (erudite, psionic and cybernetic) on the pops themselves. Not sure that is possible with the leaders though.

I know they changed it in the patch to you could get all three traits (erudite, psionic and cybernetic) on the pops themselves. Not sure that is possible with the leaders though.
In 2.7 it was possible to get either 2 or all 3 traits on pops without mods, they just didn't all function at the same time. I had done this -- gene-modded Psionic & Cybernetic pops -- and the lack of function prompted me to look for a mod, which did exist at the time.

So I think what was changed in 3.0 was to make them function.

But I've been using other mods in 3.0 so I'm not certain about vanilla.

I got psionic traits from UNE while i was playing CoM.
The leaders got psionic trait as well.
Then i apply erudite traits to all pops, and all pops got both erudite and psionic.
Sadly, the leaders don’t get erudite on top of the existing psionic trait.
Vanilla 3.0.

Edit:
Stated in the wiki:
The Erudite trait will not give its leader class bonus if added to a species with the Cybernetic or Psionic trait.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I got psionic traits from UNE while i was playing CoM.
The leaders got psionic trait as well.
Then i apply erudite traits to all pops, and all pops got both erudite and psionic.
Sadly, the leaders don’t get erudite on top of the existing psionic trait.
Vanilla 3.0.

Helpful. It is close to my scenario (and vanilla, like mine), except that I already have Erudite on them, whereas you put it on afterwards.

EDIT: Just tried it out with a lower-population species. Their leader-erudite vanished without replacement. Still may be worth it for the pop bonuses.

Last edited:
Since we're talking about traits and how to get the best ones: Any way to do this as a Hivemind?

Since we all know Hiveminds lack tons of options in terms of events and customization and as such are lacking behind non-Gestalt biological pops sadly.

You simply can't do THIS with Hiveminds:

1624384058946.png

They don't get rapid breeders+ strong for free unlike Xenophobes from an event.
They can never get the brain slug event - that needs to change with the Lem Update.
They can never get the Horizon Signal event for Tomb world habitability - that needs to change with the Lem Update.
They can never get the Impossible Organism (Nivlac) event even though Driven Assimilators and RS can get it - that needs to change with the Lem Update.

So even though Hiveminds only have Biological Ascension, their main species pops can never become as powerful as non-Gestalt Biological pops, right? Unless this works:

Has anyone tried removing the Hive-minded trait from their main species, getting another player to have those main species pops and add Cyborg and/or Psionic trait onto them? Would that be a way to get Cyborg and Psionic trait added to your Main species as Hivemind?

In my current playthrough I got the racket pops and so I gene modded them and I am now growing them on all of my planets. But of course their traits cannot be added to my main species so they can't get Tomb World Habitability + Psionic. Would be nice to have a way to somehow absorb these traits into your Hivemind and add them to your pops once you have any Hiveminded pop with them.

Either way Biological Ascension definately use some improvemenets, hopefully tied together with the new tradition system.

Reactions:
Plot twist: I reformed my Imperium back to a Democracy, and (having intermediately transitioned through Oligarchy) when I switched to Democracy he became no longer Emperor and reverted to a scientist from ruler. When this happened he got back BOTH Erudite AND Psionic.

So, if I get him re-elected in 10 years, I may be able to take advantage of this.

You can get all the leader traits, but you won't gain the Erudite trait if you've got any of the others already. So, get Erudite, then add Psionic. That should gain you both traits, at least on existing leaders.

Future leaders... less sure. You might only get one or the other. The whole system is dumb like that... I'm not sure if PDX meant to remove the "can't get Erudite if you've got anything else" filter and just forgot, or if they for some reason think that this silly monkeying around with traits (to try and get the right ones added in the right order) is fun and good.

• 1Like
Reactions:
wait, people are talking about "adding" other traits outside your ascenscion path, but we're just discussing passively gaining them through xenocompatibility, right? or are you folks implying there's an easier way and you can explicitly and actively add those traits?

I am talking about obtaining traits from outside your own ascension path by deriving the pop template from another empire whom your pops migrated to and whom ended up taking a different ascension path than your own.

I am talking about obtaining traits from outside your own ascension path by deriving the pop template from another empire whom your pops migrated to and whom ended up taking a different ascension path than your own.
right, ok, so another passive source for the trait. they modded your pops when they migrated, and now you wanna apply the psionic or cybernetic trait or both onto the home population to import the traits gained by the emigres. makes sense, I do this all the time too. i was just freaking out thinking i missed that there was a way to make this happen that didn't involve waiting for either xenocompatibility or emigration to do it for me.