"Remember me" login option non-functioning? [MEGATHREAD]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esben_DRK

Colonel
72 Badges
Jul 9, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 200k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Majesty 2
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Most forums have a "remember me" or "keep me signed in" option with a cookie. Some forums require that cookie to remain fresh, others will happily accept a year-old cookie unless deleted or if account changes are made.
However, even when checking the box to be remembered on the Paradox forums, I have to sign in basically each time. I've started checking when prompted to sign in, and I do have cookies enabled for the Paradox forums, and do have some cookies from last visit. Why, then, do I need to sign in each time I visit?
At this point it's been going on since the forum/account update a few years ago, but since I've used the forum infrequently, it only started to really bother me last Autumn.
I can't find any difference in my cookie properties between the Paradox forums and any other forum, which leads me to the conclusion that it's either a bug or a choice at the forum end. If it's a bug, please fix. If it's a feature, can someone explain to me why?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you log from multiple devices ? i know that, usually, when i log in from my mobile, it disconnects me from the computer, for some reason.

I think i remember @TinyWiking saying that there was an issue of disconnection they couldn't replicate, making it hard to work on.

Reactions:
No, I normally just use my laptop.

However, after only accessing the forum from home (And not university or the office) for about half a week, I haven't been logged out yet. It would be odd, but potentially it could be an IP issue?

No, I normally just use my laptop.

However, after only accessing the forum from home (And not university or the office) for about half a week, I haven't been logged out yet. It would be odd, but potentially it could be an IP issue?
Happens a lot with mobiles and tablets, but other computers do have that effect indeed.

Happens a lot with mobiles and tablets, but other computers do have that effect indeed.
Ah, sorry for the confusion. I don't access the forums on other computers. I access it on my own laptop, that I sometimes transport between my home, my university and my office.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I don't access the forums on other computers. I access it on my own laptop, that I sometimes transport between my home, my university and my office.
Ah, okay. Haven't test it this way.... can possibly test it tomorrow to see if i can confirm this.

Just an update to say that the problem persists despite my Summer vacation meaning that I spend very little time at University and more time at home. In other words, I don't think it's my location either, it seems like a forum-side issue.

Just an update to say that the problem persists despite my Summer vacation meaning that I spend very little time at University and more time at home. In other words, I don't think it's my location either, it seems like a forum-side issue.
It seems to be an inconsistent bug... some have it all the time, others don't have it at all, and some like me have it only when logging from different devices.

It's stupid. I have no idea who set cookies to 48/72 hours, but please, set it to at least two weeks. It's not like we need to login every other day, because even if someone steals my forum account, I have the friggin game on steam, they can't do jack to me. So there is no need to confirm I know my password every third or forth day when I'm not posting.
TL;DR login cookie expires way too fast

Or don't, I guess?

Even though I always select "Remember me" when "signing in" I still have to "sign in" again (= enter username and password) every time I log in. And again, and again... No wonder I tire.

This is the only site where I experience this problem. Why? What's so special about Paradox Forums?

It's really annoying that the forum treats me as a stranger every time I try to do anything. Please, @gigau , it's not really inconsistent from my perspective: There's something forumside that messes something up (Presumably the cookies), which in turn renders the "remember me" login option non-functional.

Please, @gigau , it's not really inconsistent from my perspective:
And i understand your position... I was mostly sharing what i read, but also my own experience : the only times i really need to relog on the forum is when i've logged on with another device like my mobile or my laptop.

Possibly, @TinyWiking can shed some new light on the matter ?

This is actually something that has been reported for a long time and something we've been unable to replicate. Me for example don't have the issue with being signed out despite being logged in on my phone, home PC and work PC at the same time. That doesn't mean that there isn't an issue however, but we are simply having a very hard time identifying the cause.

If anyone happens to come across something they think may be the culprit feel free to share it as I'll be able to bring that to the tech team and ask them to look into it.

I recently (17/7/18) moved, and I started having to log in every/every other day on my desktop after having used my laptop for a bit more than a week during the move. I have not used my laptop since setting up my desktop and the issue started after that.

It's been starting to remember me less these days... but i think i can link it to recently starting to use a password manager.

It's been starting to remember me less these days... but i think i can link it to recently starting to use a password manager.

I didn't change anything, but in the last few weeks (let's say 2 maybe a bit more) I have to log in every time I come here (and I'm here often I think :p ). Don't know what have changed, but it seems the old problem is coming back.

Small update on this, I've actually started experiencing it more over the past few days and it doesn't seem to be forum specific. Zendesk (our helpdesk) signs me out randomly maybe once every three days and it's driving me nuts :p. This has been added to the report and is being looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.