• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gwyn ap Nud

Oooh, a Custom User Title?
105 Badges
Aug 14, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Religious Improvement Project

Hello Everyone,

The Religious Improvement Project is a submod for HIP aiming at increasing immersion in the sphere of religion.
All current plans revolve around Islam, my personal area of expertise, but once currently planned features are released, I am interested in fully expanding into covering more religions. The current release is intended for use with the Cacao1 release of HIP with all default options (EMF, full SWMH, ARKOpack). If anyone wishes to use it with a different configuration, just ask for a new branch of RIP to be produced and maintained for that configuration, and I'll see what I can do.

The latest release is 1.3. Major feature changes of this edition are Kiev 867 starting changes, and a rework of Rise of the Zaydi events and Zaydi Caliph inheritance. Minor features include removing Zikri, and changing b_salamiyah to a temple and giving it to Husayn al-Fatimid in 867.

Features
12er Shiite Succession
The 12er Shiite Imam has very specific rules regarding succession. This feature enforces them; the Imamate is now a title, but has lost the barony of Medina. The Imam can designate one of his sons to be his successor, and only that son will inherit the title. The Imam and his heir begin imprisoned by the Caliph; historically, they both die in house arrest, and the hidden son of the heir becomes the 12th Imam and Mahdi.
Rise of the Zaydi
Much as the Isma'ili may rise to found a Caliphate, the Zaydi may also attempt a rising, but they're unlikely to succeed. Any Zaydi Sayyid may be asked to lead the rebellion, or rarely, a weaker rebellion with a randomly generated Zaydi Sayyid may occur. The Zaydi Caliphate is a title that must be earned; if the inheritor of such a title is not a pious, virtuous man, the title is destroyed.

Muslim Noble Ranks
The glut of Sultans and Caliphs across the world has been curbed. Now, Arab and Berber Kings are named Emirs, Emperors are Sultans, Dukes are Sheikhs, but independent Dukes are Emirs again, with Caliph now only used for certain titles. Certain cases do break this rule, so this section is still undergoing development. Currently I know that Greek Orthodox wives of Muslim independent Dukes are called Sultanas, and Bedouin Nestorians are called Sultans. If you see more cases, please report them.

Umayyad Caliphate Events
If they gain an Emperor-level title, or if a rival Empire or religious head gains land close enough to threaten them, an Umayyad ruler may get the option of declaring himself Caliph, a rival to the 'Abbasid Caliph (or whoever may usurp the Sunni religious head.) This will hurt Sunni religious authority, but will propel the Umayyads to new heights, making them an Empire-rank state.

Kiev 867
While not strictly religious, it's something that's bothered me for a while; Dyre the Stranger continually gets conquered by his neighbours, and Kiev never develops into a center of Russo-Norse culture. This strengthens Dyre's position, giving him new Radimichi and Severiane vassals, adding 6 provinces to his realm. Additionally, the Krivichi have been moved east, to a more historical position, and the Polochiane tribe added in the Polotsk region.

1.3 Changelog
Kiev Old Gods Changes
- Strengthened Dyre the Stranger's position.
- Moved the Krivichi east, giving them Smolensk, Roslavl, Vyazma.
-province histories
-Smolensk is now capital
- Given Kiev new Radimichi and Severiane vassals, adding Mstislavl, Druck, Minsk, Chernigov, Ovruch, and Gomel to Kiev's land
-province histories
- Created new Polochiane tribe in Polotsk region.
-title, province, and character histories
-localized
-flags
Zikri Removed
Zaydi Imamate
- Rise of the Zaydi Imamamte more likely to happen in realms with Zaydi or, to a lesser extent, other Shi'a provinces.
- Second Zaydi Imamate event chain which asks a surviving Zaydi Sayyid to lead the rebellion
- Randomly generated Zaydi revolts are now less likely, and weaker.
- Localized
- Sayyid is now a cached trait
- Zaydi Imamate heirs now have a chance to inherit the throne, if they're pious and virtuous enough.
Isma'ili History
-b_salamiyah is now a temple held by Husayn al-Fatimid in TOG start
On_action changes
-title maintenance events now act uniformly with on_new_holder

To Install, please delete any previous versions of this mod and unzip the file attached on this post to your mod folder in your documents folder.

Attachments

• Religious Improvement Project 1.3.zip
    70,8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Archive

The 0.1 version of the Caliphal Regnal Names can be jerry-rigged to work for Vanilla. Please find it attached to this post. Simply copy and paste the localization and event folders.

The 0.4 version of RIP, with only Caliphal Regnal Names, Muslim Noble Ranks, and Umayyad Caliphate Events, for those who don't want a complete re-work of the Muslim religious group, can be found attached to this post as well. Delete any other versions of this mod, and unzip the file into your mod folder.

Attachments

• Religious Improvement Project 0.1.zip
    51,1 KB · Views: 12
  • Religious Improvement Project 0.4.zip
    71,4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions:
The events will work fine but they will automatically apply to whoever is your current caliph, changing their name partway through their realm.

I know, it only took me a few days once I say down and actually dedicated my time to it. I've been talking about it for months, it's good to actually havesomething to show for it

Just a suggestion for polish: Instead of using an MTTH event to prompt about names upon ascension, use the on_new_holder title transfer on_actions (though on_new_holder_inheritance is likely the only one in which you'd be interested) to make it immediate upon acquiring a caliphate title.

Reactions:
Secondly, one name I couldn't find a translation or meaning for. Al-Mustadi. If anyone knows the meaning of this word, that would be a huge help. My best bet is that the root of the word is "Da'", meaning to shine, and thus Mustadi would be "He Who Seeks To Illuminate", but I'm not certain.

al-Mustadi would mean "the one who is helped", as in one seeking the help of Allah. This ties in with one of the names of Allah being al-Musta'an, "the one from whom help is requested". I couldn't reliably find a source for the root, but hopefully this information helps.

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=E0ZhAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA1406&lpg=PA1406&dq=mustadi arabic&source=bl&ots=__v1zbsDRB&sig=1EWYbMvfPE9_3CBBYdgE6-AjvGE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4kbSUh7nKAhVGwmMKHTpOBdc4ChDoAQglMAQ#v=onepage&q=mustadi arabic&f=false

Update: the root is ع و ن .

Last edited:
No, that doesn't fit with the root structure. The name is مستضيء not مستادي. Using the default ف ع ل root, the pattern is mustafa'l / مستفعل, in this case مستضيء with root ض و ء as far as I can tell. My Hans Wehr Arabic-English dictionary doesn't have any other roots with both a Daad and a hamza, so I'm going to go with "He Who Seeks The Light In God", given that almost all Caliphs were formally "X Billah" not simply X.

Reactions:
It would be a lot harder for me. Right now everything I have planned is based on research already one in the process of getting my degree. Any work on other religions would require additional research. So that's not a "no", it's a "it's not planned right now, and it's too far ahead to consider."

Reactions:
Thanks nitroholic! I have posted a new version of the mod, with the almost-final version of the Caliphal Regnal Titles section. I have updated the description to describe the new features as well, but in short, they restrict you from choosing a name that has already been used, until there are only two names left, at which point that restriction is lifted. There is one outstanding issue with the code as it stands right now; what to do if there are more than two remaining regnal names, but you don't have the requisite traits for either of them? I plan on removing the trait requirements once a certain number of names have been chosen, but I haven't yet decided on what number is appropriate; I'm leaning towards three-quarters, but I would love input on this.

In general I think the heresies need a major reworking across the board. Too many heresies are really uninteresting, and different beliefs that structured themselves differently just kind of become the same in practice. Of the christian groups Waldensians and Lollards are just a nothing group which is unfortunate for some really interesting groups. I'd personally say the Lollards should be removed though because they existed only at the very tail end of the games era, and the Waldensians reworked as a really seriously proto-protestant religion in game with mechanics that subordinate church holdings to secular power in huge ways. (they can't hold higher titles than barony, all of their income goes to their liege, a different portrait for court priest that doesn't really have any fancyness to it).

I have updated the mod with Conclave and HIP 2016-02-16 compatibility, including updating Caliph names for the new Childhood traits.

In general I think the heresies need a major reworking across the board. Too many heresies are really uninteresting, and different beliefs that structured themselves differently just kind of become the same in practice. Of the christian groups Waldensians and Lollards are just a nothing group which is unfortunate for some really interesting groups. I'd personally say the Lollards should be removed though because they existed only at the very tail end of the games era, and the Waldensians reworked as a really seriously proto-protestant religion in game with mechanics that subordinate church holdings to secular power in huge ways. (they can't hold higher titles than barony, all of their income goes to their liege, a different portrait for court priest that doesn't really have any fancyness to it).

Once I reorganize the Islam group heresies, I will take a look at Catholic heresies. While not quite as... anachronistic as the Muslim ones, they still need some serious work.

Reactions:
Is it possible to time restrict the heresies? I'm not ready to see Lollardy go because I like to play the Hundred Years' War, but I do wish it would stop popping up in 1071.