• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That looks like a very interesting tale - and a very bad time for Persia...

Reactions:
Anything else and you usually end up with lots of very powerful magnates as they consolidate large territories themselves.
Indeed. Made me remember a huge rebellion in the brewing back in Lithuania... if I could find the time to update...

• 1Like
Reactions:
so, from before the great file wipeout.
Vahhab chose to take to the knife once more in order to defend his position – having his nephew murdered in cold blood in 1374 and place the fallen emperor’s two year old daughter Donya on the throne. Vahhab underestimated the level of scorn and revulsion such brutality would provoke – sending Persia on the path to its third major civil war in a single lifetime
He is incorrigible.
In 1379 Mosul fell and Vahhab was captured.
That won’t end well.
a public trial of the man who had dominated the empire for so many years for the regicide of two emperors and the proliferation of heresy. Found guilty, Vahhab was then quartered – with parts of his mutilated corpse being sent across the empire.
Fair cop.
Emerging from civil war diminished and as divided as ever, the long shadow of Timur loomed over Persia.
And it descended, even though it looks like we shall never see it in detail. :(
So, bad news everyone. I accidentally deleted all my AAR files - screenshots, images, save games, notes, the beginning of the next update, everything. I tried to recover some or all of the files, but haven’t been able to get anything. Gone for good.
A great pity. There were no save files of the game left in the cloud, either? Anyway, thanks for another great story and for the summary of events.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you @Tommy4ever for the wonderful story. Shame on the computer (reminder do not buy Persian) for interfering with brilliance! I eagerly await your next endeavour.

General Q's: How hard is it to play Zoroastrian? (Mongols, divine marriage) If known, what is lasest eligible Zorastrian ruler?

Thank you for entertaining me.

Thanks for all the kind words and commiserations everyone!

I really loved bringing this story together, and was gutted that it ended up getting cut short - especially as we were moving into a period I was really looking forward to writing about.

As a few of you predicted - I couldn't keep myself away for long and have already embarked on a new AAR: In the Shadow of the Ancients - An Assyrian AAR. I hope you have a chance to come along on the latest story! For this one, it will be CK2 again rather than an upgrade to CK3 (which I still haven't gotten round to actually buying yet).

On the other question about playing Zoroastrians: I used the CK2 Wiki when I was looking for ideas of who to start out as, and it looks like 936 may be the latest you can start as an independent Zoroastrian ruler (with Vushmgir able to religion switch by event). However in any start date there are options for religion changing as there are always a good chunk of Zoroastrian provinces. Playing them, is good fun - you will be surrounded by religious enemies and lack possible foreign allies. All that means is you need to reach a medium sized status fairly early on afterwhich you will be able to mostly fend for yourself. Another option is to have a hidden faith and remain a vassal to a larger Muslim empire for a time until you are strong enough to go alone. Divine marriage was a bigger player than I initially realised, even if you aren't marrying your sister with your primary character - the AI-led other members of your dynasty will be. So the rise of inbreding is unavoidable. You could see form my game how that tended to lead towards generally low stat rulers and eventual fertility issues as it went on longer - even with me choosing more non-divine brides than not when I had the choice. The Mongols and Timurids meanwhile are all a game of chance - I got particularly strong steppe invaders in this playthrough, but sometimes they barely reach Transoxiania.

• 2Like
Reactions: