• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IndigoRage

General
82 Badges
Sep 9, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
It seems to be totally up to luck whether Thankmar gets anywhere near enough support to win his rebellion. Oldenburg and Franconia are the only ones who reliably join (because the coding of the event forces them to) and I've even seen Franconia immediately re-absorb itself into Germany after pledging to support me. The event triggers pretty much immediately so I have very little time to set up. I've never even seen an instance of me getting as much support as in the Thankmar's Rebellion AAR. Is there a way to reliably make it so that other German vassals like me more than Otto or will I just have to reroll for hours until I get lucky with the relations given by random traits at the start?

I won it by allying with a couple of foreign kings, like Sweden and France. It was still a long war as they each had their own wars going on, so luck is still involved.

Borrow for mercs, marry yourself and your siblings off for alliances, move fast, pick and stage your battles, and expect to lose your first one.

When I wrote the AAR, I didn't expect Gero to join, and he was a great help, but I've done it since without his help. On YouTube, One Proud Bavarian did a Thankmar's Rebellion play where he succeeds with just Oldenburg and Franconia.

It's not easy, though. It's not supposed to be easy. Historically, the rebellion was put down and Thankmar was assassinated within months. You won't be able to just slap your soldiers against Otto's and expect to walk away victorious.

And yeah, move fast. If Eberhard dies or once Danes invade Oldenburg (because that's pretty much guaranteed), your allies will drop out.

Borrow for mercs, marry yourself and your siblings off for alliances, move fast, pick and stage your battles, and expect to lose your first one.

When I wrote the AAR, I didn't expect Gero to join, and he was a great help, but I've done it since without his help. On YouTube, One Proud Bavarian did a Thankmar's Rebellion play where he succeeds with just Oldenburg and Franconia.

It's not easy, though. It's not supposed to be easy. Historically, the rebellion was put down and Thankmar was assassinated within months. You won't be able to just slap your soldiers against Otto's and expect to walk away victorious.

And yeah, move fast. If Eberhard dies or once Danes invade Oldenburg (because that's pretty much guaranteed), your allies will drop out.
I wasn't expecting it to be easy and I didn't even read your AAR until a few attempts. The thing that actually made my expectations too high was getting really lucky with random traits giving me Frisia and Brandenburg at the start and then losing to bad luck. I was just wondering if it was possible in any way to influence them beyond just the roll.

My takeaway is: you can't rely on Germany to give you allies who will be useful for anything other than meat shields.(independent meat shields who get dragged in to supporting their allies in wars and run off to fight for them if your army isn't big enough to keep them glued on)

The thing I will have to actually re-roll due to luck for will be the ominous "would prefer a matrilineal marriage" modifier. That's what was keeping me from better alliances.

I had a weird (failed) run with Thankmar. I spent my 300 Jewish gold getting alliances with France and England. Then, when the event triggered and I rebelled, I couldn't call my allies into the war. And I'd already taken the loan, so no more mercenaries. Oops.

Borrow for mercs, marry yourself and your siblings off for alliances
Hey, the event doesn't seem to take any allies you might have in mind? I've tried forming alliances with just about every power in Europe, and I never even have an option to even ask them to join.

EDIT: I keep trying and forming alliances seems to do literally nothing. I have no option to ask them to join. The best I've gotten is just getting lucky with random German vassals. Is there a way to actually ask them to do anything? Seems like a massive waste of resources to try that route when it doesn't seem to actually ask them for help.

Last edited: