Release date, price and developer diary #1 for After Dark!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh my.... AWESOME !!! :D

Edit: Translation done for people from France, or speaking French... and now is Night Time for me, Goodnight! :)

Last edited:
:O

h3KIi0I.jpg

Reactions:
Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Yes yes yes!

I'm really excited about this! Can't wait for that date!

I must be getting old, as I am not in the least bit interested in a night-time dlc. I see it as making the game "seedy". I mean I expect we will have a vibrant "night life" including drug dealers on corners, with burglars and hookers to give the police something to "do" and people to send to the new prisons?

$14.99 ? Not long ago, in another thread, I was being told to shut up, simply because the new dlc was going to be "FREE". Welcome to FREE! Why price things in DOLLARS when the company is in FINLAND. Doesn't American Steam understand the EURO? A bit pricey for a dlc don't you think?

That price is half the money I paid for the whole game....

Yes, I will turn off "updating" on Steam, as I want to finish my current city.

BUT... if CO could please address the "fixes" needed to make the base game better, then I could be persuaded to pay $14.99.

I find it almost impossible to join a road to a motorway, and vice-versa. It seems I have to have my motorway at 12m height to have any chance of a connection. ... and then when I am using the camera to follow my truck on the roads, I have to "duck" as we go under those 12m roads or else I'd lose my head! LOL

The bulldozer is set off to the extreme bottom right, so when I go to click on the bulldozer, my screen moves, I click to choose it, and then have to find where I was all over again... Can you put the bulldozer in the middle please?

My Commercial is at 70% and I've spent HOURS trying to find out why? Bulldozing all suspect, low land value buildings.... Can CO give us more information about WHY things are not working well in the game... ?

Why can I not Select an Area to find out what VALUE they are creating, so I can judge if that area is worth keeping or not?

It just seems to me that I am left relying on MODS to get the things I need to play MY city skylines. I just think the above, and lots more should be in the base game NOW, or SOON...?

Any chance of more FIXES in this dlc PLEASE?

Reactions:
Fixes should be in a patch, not in a DLC.

I am constantly amazed and totally surprised how guys read what you have written in your post, yet don't comment on any important aspect of what you have said, yet ALWAYS pick up on one single word, and they comment on THAT.

Isn't modern schooling just brilliant!

DO I CARE if it is in a dlc or a patch. I want it fixed please.

Reactions:
novapaddy,
Only day/night cycle is free - this said many times now...
Why price in Dollar, you know the answer.... then yes, both $ and € would be better but what for the other countries then?
Why to complain about that fair price while base game could have been 60/70 € (thru another firm) ? No need. Workers are behind and I think I'm not the only one thinking this team's very active and so, congrats to them.

the "fixes" needed : I think they keep working hard on that. one recent example was before vacations, again - with the hotfix 1.c for the patch 1.1.1b.

The bulldozer is set off to the extreme bottom right, so when I go to click on the bulldozer, my screen moves, I click to choose it, and then have to find where I was all over again... Can you put the bulldozer in the middle please?

Mods can create troubles but you can suggest things in this part of this forum, and report bugs here.
Also the various maps and the good management of your city will help you to get a better city.

Zed68 : I have to disagree. :) As a firm, they have to work on both (new things, and fixing bugs)

Last edited:
I must be getting old, as I am not in the least bit interested in a night-time dlc. I see it as making the game "seedy". I mean I expect we will have a vibrant "night life" including drug dealers on corners, with burglars and hookers to give the police something to "do" and people to send to the new prisons?

Maybe not for you, but there was a flood of people wanting Day and Night Cycle

$14.99 ? Not long ago, in another thread, I was being told to shut up, simply because the new dlc was going to be "FREE". Welcome to FREE! Why price things in DOLLARS when the company is in FINLAND. Doesn't American Steam understand the EURO? A bit pricey for a dlc don't you think?

That price is half the money I paid for the whole game....

So about standard for most DLC's.

Yes, I will turn off "updating" on Steam, as I want to finish my current city.

Good luck with that, I think you will need to play off-line as I don't think there is an option to turn it off completely. If there is I'd be interested to know.

BUT... if CO could please address the "fixes" needed to make the base game better, then I could be persuaded to pay $14.99.

Any Fix should be free, why would you pay for it? Weird.

DLC's should be for new features not included in the base game.

IIRC CO never inform ahead of time what "Fixes" will be included in a upcoming patch, who knows what non-buyers of the DLC will get at the end of September (other than Day and Night)

I find it almost impossible to join a road to a motorway, and vice-versa. It seems I have to have my motorway at 12m height to have any chance of a connection. ... and then when I am using the camera to follow my truck on the roads, I have to "duck" as we go under those 12m roads or else I'd lose my head! LOL

I'd love a picture of this as I connect Roads to Highways and vice-versa all the time, at ground level. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you :confused:

Or you could just press "B" IIRC.

My Commercial is at 70% and I've spent HOURS trying to find out why? Bulldozing all suspect, low land value buildings.... Can CO give us more information about WHY things are not working well in the game... ?

Why can I not Select an Area to find out what VALUE they are creating, so I can judge if that area is worth keeping or not?

Actually now we come closer in agreement. I'd love to know the technical details how how things tie together. We had that in SC4, at least a couple of years after release as experienced users dug into the model.

It just seems to me that I am left relying on MODS to get the things I need to play MY city skylines. I just think the above, and lots more should be in the base game NOW, or SOON...?

Now you've hit the nail on the head. You SHOULD have to use Mods to play YOUR City Skylines. That's the beauty of mods, it allows you to change your own experience while others who don't want to play YOUR way don't have too.

Any chance of more FIXES in this dlc PLEASE?

As I said before, normally they don't tell you in advance, maybe this time it will be different.

But here's a thought, you could wait for the release and then check the patch notes to see what's been done, then either buy it or not.

The one thing I would say which you alluded to in your post. I would like to see a disable option for Day/Night for those with existing cities that don't want to use it because of play balance changes.

Reactions:
@Greygor69 : Thanks for your helpful reply.

I usually try to have my motorways up a minimum of 12 metres and possibly 15 metres overhead. I can then keep my ground connections operating as normal. So my connection difficulty is connecting from a height to a road suface on the ground. Is tedious beyond belief to try to get it to work properly.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a purist, ANY connection will suffice.

The difficulty occurs even though I have cleared out all buildings, the tiles are blank, it just seems there is some "ideal" distance which I have not found yet.

Distance being "height above ground" for my motorway, and "nearness to motorway" for my road.

Press "B", didn't know that, See posting IS BENEFICIAL. THANKS !

Yep, you`d have to turn off your internot to play as steam doesn`t allow complete turning off of updates :(

@Greygor69 : Thanks for your helpful reply.

I usually try to have my motorways up a minimum of 12 metres and possibly 15 metres overhead. I can then keep my ground connections operating as normal. So my connection difficulty is connecting from a height to a road suface on the ground. Is tedious beyond belief to try to get it to work properly.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a purist, ANY connection will suffice.

Ahh! Okay I need to play with that as I'm generally ground or underground with my highways at the moment.

Yep, you`d have to turn off your internot to play as steam doesn`t allow complete turning off of updates :(

We might be able to upload the older version as a separate beta branch :)

Reactions:
@novapaddy Not gonna comment on everything requested because I don't think I can in some things, and it won't be productive in others. I can help you with the buldoze issue, you can do what I did: change the key bindings. I made my "delete" key become the default for buldozing. Simple and effective, you should try it.

@novapaddy Not gonna comment on everything requested because I don't think I can in some things, and it won't be productive in others. I can help you with the buldoze issue, you can do what I did: change the key bindings. I made my "delete" key become the default for buldozing. Simple and effective, you should try it.

I've got 424 hours on City Skylines currently. The ONLY game I ever had a similar amount of time on playing was Rome Total War, with many times that, modding Darkest Hour. SO I'm not the usual COMPLAINER, well I don't think so? I just would prefer if they spent LOTS of time fixing and improving the basic game.

Then again, as with the Bulldozer... the B key is SO MUCH EASIER !! I must read the wiki again. ... I see the logic behind your using the Delete key, but hey... the B key is nearer the space bar and more natural to find.

I've gone from 69% Commercial happiness to 76% happiness, so I'm getting somewhere. WOULD BE better if I understood the logic or reasoning behind the Commercial Happiness level, then I could Review, Plan, and Act on it, rather than wander hopelessly "in the Dark" with no information at my fingertips...