• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BobSagini

Reborn Phoenix
41 Badges
Sep 27, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Magicka
Hi there! :)

I will be creating this AAR from the viewpoint of a historian looking back on sources relating to my period in Victoria. Every chapter, bar the first, will span 5 years. Now, enough talking, let's get down to business!

ScreenSave0_zpsge0jq1hz.png

Portugal lost much of its wealth and status with the destruction of Lisbon in a 1755 earthquake, occupation during the Napoleonic Wars and the independence of Brazil, its wealthiest colony, in 1822. By 1936, things were looking bleak. A poor economy, little industry, and an illiterate population meant that advancement would prove to be a difficult task. Nevertheless, King Ferdinand II sought to regain his place on the world stage, and give Portugal a name for itself. This would prove to be one of the most important centuries for the small nation.

ScreenSave1_zpsptkqknts.png

Ferdinand had attempted to increase relations with it's Spanish neighbour. However, they quite abruptly shook off any relationship that was more than a cordial trade agreement. Annoyed, and in failure, the Portuguese diplomats set their eyes on a new target.

Statesman Joao Mendes wrote in his memoirs:

"It was not the moment when the Spanish had fallen to the French that they had become subordinate, no. It had not been their rapid collapse of the colonial empire. Rather, it was their arrogance and pisspoor diplomacy that had done so! This was the year of their decline, and yet they still refuse assistance! how I buffaw at their insolence! How I chortle! They have little against us, and rightfully so. Portugal still maintains a sense of stability, and prestige. It is my deepest sorrow that this diplomatic mission had failed, for it could have lead to a far different situation for the Portuguese and Spanish people. However, it is also fortunate that they did not, for I would know they would have attempted to control our socio-economic policies. It is a double edged sword, and it seems we have been stabbed twice."

In the next two months, the revolt in the Netherlands had ended - Belgium was de facto and de jure an independent nation.

ScreenSave2_zpstymyiuv5.png

Fearing a revolt of his own, the King demanded a survey on the views of his people. His ambassadors traveled not just the mainland, but colonies, in a decision that would change Portuguese history irreversibly. It took many long weeks, but it had not been in vain. Every ideological policy, right down to a farmer in Mozambique, had been jotted down in the bureaucrat's diary.

ScreenSave3_zpsujey3tpr.png

Here, we have the historical source, directly from the Governor's palace. They were retrieved by the Portuguese Historical Society in 1997, marking over 150 years of their use. Here, on the side, the last remaining information from the source, are the records from the census. Unfortunately, the rest of the information is not available to the public, although we assume it has been lost.

17.7% of the population wanted war now, and they were itching for it. The wealth of Asia beckoned in all who ventured, and the Portuguese had walked straight towards it. The bureaucrats had furiously scribbled justifications for a new war to strengthen the Portuguese colonial holdings.

And so, on March the 1st, 1837, the Portuguese sent a formal declaration of war on Bali, on the pretext that the nation had been sending pirate fleets to harass traders in East Timor. The validity of this statement, while assumed to be false, is widely unknown among the historical community even today, for there is no record of piracy being confirmed except from Portuguese sources. It is widely accepted that they were forgeries from the press, however.

ScreenSave4_zpsgsscuw5a.png

The Balians entered battle the next day, and the Battle of Fabio's Bridge began.

ScreenSave5_zpskrxxxzf5.png

Unsurprisingly, the armies were hastily crushed. Only the resulting partisans were able to cause any real harm onto the Portuguese.

ScreenSave7_zpsl0exmvpi.png

Due to the jungle-like terrain, the complete sieging of the island only ended in September. Nevertheless, the provinces had been integrated into the portuguese realm, securing presige and wealth for the formerly declining empire. The effect on the islands so small seemed to make a far larger impact than it would originally seem.

In 1838, Portuguese Colonists had been taking much of the fish from the native populations, which upset them greatly. The local populations rised up, and sieged the Governor's palace, making him tremble in fear, and attempt to flee.

"I have never been so scared in my life, I say. The look in the eyes of each and every ones haunted me with an eerie feel which I shall never forget" - Governor Oliviaro Fabio of Bali.

ScreenSave9_zpslqomjuff.png

Luckily, the governor was saved by the Portuguese armies. He was found traumatized, and starving. The rebels were severely punished for their crimes, and 2 colonial police divisions were formed - one for Bali, and one for Tombok. It marked the end of the Balian independence dreams, and the beginning of a more militaristic, authoritarian approach for Portugal - which was, by and large, welcomed and accepted by their populace back home.

4 years later, a man named Filipe Glaucia would come to fame in Portugal, a military engineer who came to Oporto to suggest an idea to the King's armies. Little would any of them know what impact this new doctrine would have on militaries worldwide

ScreenSave12_zpsesgloyom.png

Strategic Mobility was, although theorised, never perfected, until one of Filipe's excersizes showed it's full potential and uses it could have, especially in suppressing any future revolts. Hoping for more successes, the King sent diplomats to the United Kingdom, in hopes of increased relations.

During the late 16th century England found itself fighting against Spain which at this time was in personal union with Portugal. The English Armada was launched as part of this conflict in an attempt to restore Portuguese independence, destroying both Spanish and Portuguese military ships which formed the Invincible Armada. Ever before, and ever since, Portugal and the United Kingdom had been allies. Surely, the King believed, a new, more definite alliance could be signed - and they wouldn't be wrong for thinking so.

ScreenSave13_zpskwbb4xkr.png

However, the expensive diplomatic mission was halted when the diplomat failed to speak clear English. He had only studied it briefly, contrary to what he told his superiors. His accents were thick and his translations poor and, while the British were still polite and respectful, they sent him home still feeling confused, not really grasping his intentions.

ScreenSave14_zpst7ppzpfn.png

And so, as the Christmas of 1844 ended, so did the decline of the Portuguese empire. While the economy was still in the gutter, and the state more ridiculed due to it's poor diplomat's, the general opinion of Portugal had increased. It's armies had bolstered, it's technology had improved considerably, and relations with the United Kingdom were on the rise, as well as a new elections. However, I am afraid today's lecture will have to end. Tommorrow, I will be continuing my lecture.

See you then, class.

Last edited:
And so we continue. The period between 1845 to 1850 were far less eventful. Rather, the fluctuating economy was proving dreadful for Portugal, and so they needed to save the ecomy before it collapsed.

(Pictures of popup/events do not show from F11 screenshots, which is kind of upsetting the AAR, and depleted about 3/4 of it's good content. Sorry lads :()

ScreenSave0_zpsgcwzwqkw.png

The Portuguese had been promoting technological growth within the nation, and were further planning on increasing literacy, especially among the upper and middle classes, as well as an increased diplomatic effort onto the British ambassadors.

ScreenSave3_zpsdlulr1uz.png

And it payed off. The British had finally guaranteed the independence of the Portuguese people and, while not exactly an alliance, it was a decent enough offer from the British. The Foreign minister would be kept for another term after this, and his career saved from the embarrassing blunder of earlier.

ScreenSave5_zpsbh9da5sq.png

Meanwhile, the cultural elites within the nation developed the idea of Positivism, increasing their view of other wealthy statesmen from other nations, who were impressed by these developments.

ScreenSave1_zpsexdqu8cm.png

But it was nothing compared to the development of mechanical production. No one, not the scientists, not the minister, not even the average farmer could have guessed what successes this would bring. 1845 was essentially the end of the instability of the Portuguese economy, as the inventions that followed form this, from America, France, the United Kingdom, and Belgium, would change the face of agriculture. Now, Portugal could afford to equip their farmers and labourers with the correct equipment to work in factories. Meanwhile, Portuguese Economists were hard at work to increase the situation further. With wealth, the empire could purchase colonies, feed armies, or train bureaucrats, as well as educate the people, and institute reforms.

ScreenSave4_zpsr5nhq7jv.png

Meanwhile, in the West, the USA had managed to harangue the Mexicans and force them to surrender their colonial claims, a large crash on their prestige since the Mexican-American War, where Mexico had temporarily become the most presitigious nation in the world. Times were changing, and not just in the Americas.

ScreenSave6_zpsocqebtrr.png

Europe, too, was embroiled in a brutal war between the Scandinavians and the Prussians. Prussian hegemony had been slowly creeping, which was a severe worry to Ferdinand and his people.

However, not too soon after, a protest had been held up in the capital, after news of corrpution scandals. They demanded economic concessions, much to the fear of the Portuguese. However, if they were rejected, then they would no longer resort to peaceful protest. While it would ruin the economy in the short term, they decided to give in to the demands. However, this was seen as a poor choice to the King, who demanded a new election, and for this foolish liberal to be removed of his power. Portugal now had many debts to pay, and, while she was able to pay them, it was a rather annoying ordeal...

ScreenSave9_zpsk0yodwev.png

The economists were finishing their goals, a pacifist influence was increasing, and the old order was slowly fading. These years went by extremely quickly, and would continue to do so. The world was not what it used to be, and Portugal found itself not so alone, but with a friend now. Bali was losing it's nationalistic tendencies, and things were beginning to settle. It was going to be a good next five years.

Unfortunately, today's lecture must come to an end, for we are running out of time. Please, come again tomorow, for we shall learn about the period of great reform that is about to unfold. Thank you, and goodbye.

Last edited:
Hi! I can't help you with the question about screen shots - perhaps the support forum for Vicky I can be of service?

I haven't been in the Vicky AAR forum for quite a while, didn't realize there was a new AAR going! I'll have to check on this, but later, when I'm not at work, probably. :)

Alright, thanks! I may have to use Printscreen now, but as my PC has been repaired I can continue with the AAR!