• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They're not executed per culture but rather per province, for example provinces bordering 'Russia' have a chance of steppe nomads invading and the coasts of Britain/Gaul/Germany can be attacked by sea raiders and provinces bordering Arabia can be attacked by steppe nomads. On average you'll see one perhaps every 50-100 years. In 2.0, they will only occur in lands of civilized countries (rather than in lands of 5+ province countries in 1.16).

Updated this thread for new and changed features in 2.0

I started the game and soon a civil war broke up!

I have a standing army of 24.000 troops ( just below my max cap) but when I enter a civil war the rebels raise armies of 32.000 or many of 11.000 that merge togheter!

I cannot beat them, they are just too many

it only happen to me? (its the second time actually, I abandon a game for this)

How can I beat them up?

Why the have rebel armies pop up but I don´t get any help, like in vainilla?

They are just too many!

Does this has the ability to name your own successor? be it male or female? I been playing epigoni but regardless of mod, the weird succession system where they are randomly chosen is a make-break
thing.

And yes, the "person" I want to be the next ruler was groomed, he/she went to be governors, generals have entire armies loyal to them, every one of the advisors is their friend, and somehow another child is chosen when they got little ot no popularity.

Does your mod do anything to address the alliance chains? One of the things that caused me to quit this game was that you DoW a small nation, but thy are allied to another small nation, who are allied to a bigger nation, ect, ect. You would end up in some cases fighting half the damn world it was super frustrating.

Does your mod do anything to address the alliance chains? One of the things that caused me to quit this game was that you DoW a small nation, but thy are allied to another small nation, who are allied to a bigger nation, ect, ect. You would end up in some cases fighting half the damn world it was super frustrating.

Wasn't that fixed a long time ago in one of the beta patches?

Although EU Rome is certainly dated, Reign of Ancients adds considerable depth and immersion to one of my favorite paradox titles. After the disappointment of the shall we say, no Rome 2 just yet vibe i felt following the recent stellaris announcement, playing this mod again i have to say, really helps to take away some of that pain. :p

If you had trouble in the past installing this mod and gave up it's totally understandable, instructions on the main post are out dated and somewhat lacking. I think the main issue people have when installing is mixing up which version of the game they actually have when dealing with the beta patches. I managed to properly get Rome +VV up-to-date (v2.36c beta - checksum XEVC) and working with the latest version of ROA.

So here's a clear break down on how you can achieve this:

- Completely wipe (uninstall) the previous installation, double check to make sure no mod folders are still lingering where you uninstalled the main game files on your cpu

- Install the game to your default directory then copy the whole game folder and put it somewhere else as a back up (if your having issues running it in your program folder etc ...simply use the copied back up that you put somewhere else on your cpu)

- If you have the Gold Edition or GOG Version your game will be patched up to 2.36c (this is not one of the beta versions!), if you installing a much older version you may need to simply use the auto-update to patch it to 2.36c with VV if not already. So before we get into anything else simply load up your game to the main menu and confirm you see the following checksum (IYID for Steam, SWBL for a non steam rome game)

- Ok now you download the latest beta patches first you need to get 2.36B you can find it further down in the tech forums or follow the link from RoA download section, now you need to download the second beta patch 2.36C again found in the tech forums around the top since it's the newest one.

- BEFORE!!! you attempt to install 2.36B beta patch open up your Main game folder (the one with all the folders in it and exe files etc) and remove everything in your map/cache folder EXCEPT!!! the Province Textures Folder. You will come back to this step 2 more times i will simply paste this same step again further down the line to remind you.

- Find your 2.36B download and extract it's contents to a folder somewhere on your computer. Open that folder and copy all the files and folders within, then navigate back to your Main Game folder again and hit paste overwriting files if asked. Now load your game it may take some time since it will have to recalculate the map paths finally when you get to the main menu (where you see single/mulitplayer, options etc) Simply Quit dont go any further ...then reload the game a second time to the main menu and you should see the checksum YRDK. Now quit the game, WE WILL REPEAT THIS STEP AGAIN WHEN INSTALLING BETA 2.36c

- BEFORE!!! you attempt to install 2.36C beta patch open up your Main game folder (the one with all the folders in it and exe files etc) and remove everything in your map/cache folder EXCEPT!!! the Province Textures Folder. You will come back to this step 1 more times i will simply paste this same step again further down the line to remind you.

- Find your 2.36C download and extract it's contents to a folder somewhere on your computer. Open that folder and copy all the files and folders within, then navigate back to your Main Game folder again and hit paste overwriting files if asked. Now load your game it may take some time since it will have to recalculate the map paths finally when you get to the main menu (where you see single/mulitplayer, options etc) Simply Quit dont go any further ...then reload the game a second time to main menu and you should see the checksum XEVC.

Ok! Still with me were almost done!, now the easy part installing RoA the mod

-- BEFORE!!! you attempt to install ROA 2.01 MOD you need to yet again ...open up your Main game folder (the one with all the folders in it and exe files etc) remove everything in your map/cache folder EXCEPT!!! the Province Textures Folder.

- Now download ROA 2.01 from the dl link page if you haven't already and extract it's contents somewhere on your computer, inside the ROA folder you will see the Reign of Ancients folder and a Mod file you simply copy both and paste them to your MOD FOLDER found in your Main Game folder.

- You need to select the mod, so always launch the game from the launcher selecting the Reign of Ancients Mod from the Drop-down Box.

- Now load your game it may take some time since it will have to recalculate the map paths finally when you get to the main menu (where you see single/multiplayer, options etc) Simply QUIT dont go any further ...Now reload the game a second time to main menu and you should see the checksum PKYC non-steam

..... YOUR DONE! enjoy this great mod!

EDIT: Since there may be no need to bother with the 2.36b patch and jump right to the 2.36c beta, the latest beta patch should contain all the previous patches however just to be on the safe side i still recommend you installng 2.36b and then 2.36c following the instructions above this was the way i managed to finally get the game and the mod to work so...

Last edited:
Reactions:
- If you have the Gold Edition or GOG Version your game will be patched up to 2.36c (this is not one of the beta versions!), if you installing a much older version you may need to simply use the auto-update to patch it to 2.36c with VV if not already. So before we get into anything else simply load up your game to the main menu and confirm you see the following checksum (IYID for Steam, SWBL for a non steam rome game)

Don't you mean 2.32c in the paragraph quoted above? I DL mine from GamersGate and in addition to the game download (Gold Edition), two patches are available: 2.2 and 2.32 and after installing the game and those two patches in sequence I get 2.32c on the launcher and if I Check for updates there it says there are no newer updates. I also get SWBL as a checksum, the same as you note, above. Other than that, your very detailed and conservative approach is very VERY helpful

Last edited:
Don't you mean 2.32c in the paragraph quoted above? I DL mine from GamersGate and in addition to the game download (Gold Edition), two patches are available: 2.2 and 2.32 and after installing the game and those two patches in sequence I get 2.32c on the launcher and if I Check for updates there it says there are no newer updates. I also get SWBL as a checksum, the same as you note, above. Other than that, your very detailed and conservative approach is very VERY helpful

Yeah just pointing out the fact that 2.36c official patch is different from the beta patch 2.36c, that's why i put in the checksums, to make sure everyone is starting from the correct patch/checksum before getting into the nitty-gritty of installing any of the beta patch's...

Yeah just pointing out the fact that 2.36c official patch is different from the beta patch 2.36c, that's why i put in the checksums, to make sure everyone is starting from the correct patch/checksum before getting into the nitty-gritty of installing any of the beta patch's...

Okay, this worked perfectly. The only discrepancy for me was I got a .MOD instead of a .BIC when I opened the rar file for ROA 2.01. Still, I dropped them in the mod folder, followed your instructions to the letter and got identical Checksums as you indicated throughout the whole process. Thanks again.

Am I correct in assuming that the reason you have to quit and restart is because the first time it's creating all the files for the cache folder and you need it to calculate the checksum after all those files are created?

I have just downloaded the GOG version where you get 2.36 as an additional download that can be installed at your own risk. Unfortunately I cannot see see a checksum displayed (I note that the cursor can be moved to just below the screen so if it is displayed at the very bottom left it may be off screen) is there any other way to display it?
FYI chefsessel got the mod to work thus: http://www.gog.com/forum/europa_universalis_series/eu_rome_reign_of_the_ancients_v_201/post5
As I have made separate directories for the vanilla, 2.36, and RotA I shall just experiment.

Addendum:
- Now download ROA 2.01 from the dl link page if you haven't already and extract it's contents somewhere on your computer, inside the ROA folder you will see the Reign of Ancients folder and a .bic file you simply copy both and paste them to your MOD FOLDER found in your Main Game folder.

- You need to select the mod, so always launch the game from the launcher selecting the Reign of Ancients Mod from the Drop-down Box.
On extracting I have the reign of ancients folder but the other file is a .mod file
Ah I have just discovered that the file "Launch Europa Universalis - Rome Gold" is not the launcher (or not the paradox launcher which I have just discovered is the Rome.exe as opposed to the RomeGame.exe which the gog launcher points to (in the vanilla folder). So I deleted the Launch Europa Universalis - Rome Gold shortcut, and used the rome.exe launcher. But I am only offered the option to play Rota 2.00 in mods. As I don't know how to play this game I shall be unaware of any problems. (At least I know not to check for updates!) I thank that I shall play the Vanilla game for while until I can learn more about the game. I suspect being offered the RotA 2.00 mod is just an oversight on the modders part.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, ST. There's a very odd way of accessing your checksum in EU Rome:

Pick Multiplayer menu option instead of single player
Click on Host a Game
Voila ! your check sum should be readily apparent.

Also, when picking ROA from the mod choice on the launcher, I also get 2.00

Also, I also get a .MOD file.instead of a .BIC file
Nonetheless, everything still works.

SPOKEN TOO SOON... ROA 2 DOES NOT WORK, it crashes before the game menu comes up. Even after erasing everything in the map\cache folder (except the textures folder) However, I do have 2.36c working fine.