• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
The features post has now been updated for Reign of the Ancients 2

Reign of the Ancients introduces many new features to Rome, as well as tweaks to nearly every major aspect of the game to make it more fun, challenging and above all balanced. In this post is a list of many of the major features in the mod.

Victory Conditions
Upon starting the game, you will be presented with a choice of victory conditions. You will be able to continue playing even after you've won or lost.
5fr8s.png

80+ new provinces
RoA expands the map with more than 80 new provinces that fit seamlessly into the world.
FGU26.png

Hundreds of new countries
No more colonization! The world comes alive with hundreds of new tribes, kingdoms and republics that fill out the previously grey spots of the map, all fully playable.
I01WU.png

Balanced National Ideas
The national ideas have been rebalanced to make all ideas a viable choice without changing the original flavor of the ideas. Furthermore, the tech requirements of the ideas have been lowered to give players a wider selection of ideas from the start of the game.
cD6mp.png

Balanced Economy
Expenses for armies, buildings and sacrifices have been vastly increased, so that you will no longer be able to maintain an army twice your forcelimit or find yourself sitting on vast piles of money with nothing to spend it on. Balancing your budget will be an actual challenge if you want a large army and fleet.
04.jpg

Balanced Omens
Base omen chance and laws and ideas altering omen chance and omen power have been balanced to make omen chance no longer the only worthwhile thing to invest in.
xdlai.png

Reworked Civilization
Who said civilization was all good? While it will increase your supply limit and tax income, civilization will also reduce manpower supply and increase stability costs, as city-dwellers become complacent and demanding.
GHHXF.png

Reworked Trade
RoA features 8 new tradegoods as well as reworked effects from all existing tradegoods to make them more versatile and useful adds a new dimension to the trading game. Additionally, you can now draw an unlimited amount of trade routes over land from the onset of the game, allowing even landlocked countries to participate in trade and finally allowing a use for 'request trade access'.
oT3zp.jpg

Reworked Diplomacy
Diplomacy has been changed so that you no longer start the game with 90% of the world hating your guts, allowing for far more options for alliances and trade.
jMAkM.png

Women in the Workplace
Women can now hold a limited number of offices by default in a Monarchy or Tribe, while a Republic can pass a law to gain the same benefit. Additionally, though it is difficult, you can pass laws that give women full gender equality.
CeQZ0h.png

Balanced Traits
Most traits are no longer all good or all bad, but have both benefits and drawbacks. Traits are no longer so random, but rather characters are given a personality in childhood and then develop traits based on choices in events, similar to the way Crusader Kings works.
weB9V.png

New Character Events
Reign of the Ancients features its very own character event system with 250 unique character events replacing the poorly balanced vanilla events. Traits are now much more important and the friendships and rivalries of your characters can make or break your state.
ak5cq.png

Reworked Loyalty and Popularity
Instead of being fixed modifiers going up or down at a predictable rate, loyalty and popularity are now mainly affected by events and ambitions. Characters have their own lives and goals, and it may not always be easy to tell who is going to be your loyal servant and who will raise the banner of rebellion. Fulfilling character ambitions is now crucial to keep them loyal, and characters will big dreams may become resentful if those dreams are not realized.
V0QqV.png

fkqjp.png

Cultural Colonization
Instead of occuring by random event, you now build colony buildings to change a province to your primary culture and religion. The amount of money and time it takes to fully colonize a province depends on how densely populated it is, but a province's colony level will mitigate the penalties from wrong culture, gaining you some immediate benefits even in heavily populated provinces.
5GE3S.png

Power System
All countries are ranked on a power scale from Minor Power to Great Power, depending on their size, economy, manpower, army, navy and so on. Small powers will gain a bonus to their economy but penalties to tribute income, religious prestige and civilization spread, while larger powers gain considerable bonuses to their diplomatic and technological abilities. A special 'Hegemony' power status exists for countries that have grown powerful enough to be unchallenged rulers of the Mediterranean.
7jsvS.png

New Research System
Instead of gaining invisible and opaque benefits from technology levels and the occasional useless invention, all your technology benefits come from inventions, which have been made much more powerful and significant. Additionally, there are four schools of warfare inventions (Roman, Hellenic, Punic and Parthian) and which technology group you belong to determines what military inventions you get.
twwGa.png

MYh47.png

Reworked Warfare
Warfare is now more difficult, with lower supply limits, higher attrition and no assaults, meaning that you will not be able to wage war and take provinces without losing large numbers of men.
t93jB.png

New Forcelimits System
Forcelimits are now much more dynamic and based on your total population size instead of just the number of slaves. Your naval forcelimits will vary greatly depending on how much coast you control, and your land forcelimits will double in times in war, allowing you to recruit mercenaries to bolster your standing army. The AI will save up money for war to take advantage of the war forcelimits system to recruit mercenaries of their own.
koqaw.png

Land Grabs
By occupying a province for several years, you can now uniliterally seize it without having to sue for peace, making it easier to take land from a stubborn AI. However, doing so comes at a steep cost in infamy, so use it sparingly.
15.jpg

War Captives
Waging war will now gain you slaves, as some of the population of provinces you capture is enslaved and sent to your country to boost your tax base.
qM67r.png

Republics
Republics have been made a more distinct form of government by having most offices be elected rather than appointed, removing among other things the micromanagement of minor titles. The player can veto appointments for major offices and Generals/Admirals are appointed by the player to give him or her full control over warfare. What's more, the political attraction of the parties have been balanced so that you no longer have mercantilist and religious parties dominating through the entire game.
CXGCF.png

0l45s.png

Useful Governor Stats
Your governor's stats are no longer pointless, but have an effect on everything from revolt risk to tax collection to fort defense. Appoint high martial governors to defend your border provinces, high charisma governors to lower revolt risk in new conquests and high finesse governors to maximize income from wealthy regions.
JYC1M.png

Laws
Many new laws have been added for Republics and Monarchies, allowing you to shape the religious and civic policies of your country.
3yLCch.png

Dangerous Rebellions
Rebellions and civil wars wars are no longer a joke even to an experienced player, as rebels and civil war factions will muster armies capable of challenging their former masters!
IQ78mh.png

New Regions
Dozens of new regions have been added to the game based on historical regions and provinces of the empires of the era. Players will be rewarded for controlling all provinces in a region with tax bonuses across the entire region.
1IVFS.png

Barbarians
Colonization may be gone, but barbarians are not! When you conquer a tribal province as a civilized state, you will gain an instant core (and thus no nationalism) but some of the population will turn into barbarian power, which will continue to provide a threat to your state until you civilize the province. Additionally, civilized states bordering tribes can be attacked by migrating hordes, and massive hordes of nomads can invade from beyond the borders of the map.
dm57g.png

Tributaries
Managing your tributaries is now a challenge, as you have to keep up appearances of strength or risk souring relations with your tributaries, making them break off payments or even declare war! On the other hand, if you keep relations high, you will have a chance to inherit your tributaries, gaining cores on all their core lands in the process.
31.jpg

And more!
This is only a selection of the many ways in which RoA expands upon Rome while preserving and improving its core features, allowing you to experience a vastly more fleshed out and fulfilling game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Seems to be just great :D Awesome job Wiz!

EU3 pulled me away from rome for a moment but maybe I'll start playing it again, and possibly with your mod ;)

I can testify that this mod is great fun. I have been playing many different nations and they all offer their own fun challenges. What this mod does is to add many strategic options so you really have to consider your goals.

Those features look amazing!

My only concern is that the higher number of countries might make the game slow down too much? I played T&E and an earlier version of ROA way back, and I found the slowdown to be too much for me. My computer isn't particularly good, which doesn't help.

Still, will download it again and see how it plays :)

Please let me know how it performs on your system - I've been doing what improvements I can to the events and such but the sheer number of tags could definitely cause slowdown on certain machines.

This is a pretty neat mod.

I first heard about Rome a long time ago, but knowing Paradox I decided to wait for a while to see if it was good. This was in retrospective a pretty good decision since Rome at launch, and even after the expansion pack, was . . . lackluster. Then I forgot that this game existed until I stumbled upon a LP made by Wiz which featured this mod. It's a fucking great LP, and it made Rome look pretty damn fantastic. So after reading that for a while I decided to say fuck it and actually buy Rome: Gold on Steam. Now, Rome still have some pretty fundamental flaws imo(no relation hit on declining alliance offers being one of the lesser ones), but this mod just adds so much flavor and so much fun that it doesn't matter.

This mod makes Rome worth playing which is a pretty great achievement.

Wiz is also responsible for quite a few purchases more of Rome thanks to that lp and this thread would get a lot more posts if most concerns about the mod didn't end up in the lp-thread or the IRC, but oh well. Cheers Wiz.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know a Rome expansion had been released! :D That seems really amazing, congrats for the hard and constant work! I'd be so nice if you could somewhat merge your work with Hardradi's Epigoni, definitely an expansion, indeed.

Great mod. Lots of hard work and thought has gone into these improvements.

Balanced Omens
Base omen chance and laws and ideas altering omen chance and omen power have been balanced to make omen chance no longer the only worthwhile thing to invest in.

Sounds good. Do you think omen chance NI's are over powered?

New Regions
Dozens of new regions have been added to the game based on historical regions and provinces of the empires of the era. Players will be rewarded for controlling all provinces in a region with tax bonuses across the entire region and improved growth in the regional capitals (shown with a red dot).

Really like this idea. If only we had war goals like Vicky II.

Have you tackled the technology penalties of expanding empires?

Also I know you implemented some changes to stop the alliance war spam introduced in the latest patch. Are they working well?

Last edited:
Omen chance is purely positive, whereas omen power can be both positive and negative. Combine that with the low base omen chance, and you get the following scenario:
If you take a omen chance of 50, and invoke Help of Hermes 10 times, you will end up on average with 5 failed and 5 successful omens, for a total of +/- 0 trade
If you add +10% omen power to this, you still get +/- 0
If you add +10% omen chance to this, you get 6 successful, 4 failed, for a total of +2.5% trade income over the 10 year period

If you take a omen chance of 40, +10% omen power gives you -2.5% trade income, while +10% omen chance still gives you +2.5% - omen power actually hurts you

If you take a omen chance of 60, +10% omen power gives you +2.5% and omen chance gives you +2.5%

If you take a omen chance of 70, omen power finally starts outdoing omen chance on averages, but omen chance 70 is not terribly easy to get and the laws that give omen power also reduce omen chance, meaning they are basically self defeating.

The gradual citizenship helps with tech for expanding empires.

On the alliance war spam... I limited the AI to 2 allies, 1 for tribes. It works reasonably well, but it's still a problem, especially since the AI only understands one alliance layer. I really wish they would un-fix that fix.

Next version is gonna include some major fixes. I've managed to get rid of the flurry of early wars, fixed the wealth to gold ratio in events (paradox was using anything from 1:1 to 1:100 which created some weird events) and I've sorted out the viper's nest of bugs and sloppy scripting that is the friendship and rivalry events. On top of that I've added a little hack that lowers the warscore cost of provinces by half, so you won't have to fight a ten year war for just two provinces.

I'm trying to fix the broken, poorly balanced and poorly scripted vanilla events, so if you see any events that seem to fire too often, have options that appear to do nothing or seem unbalanced to you, please let me know either the event name (the name at the top of the event window) or the event ID.

Oh, and I've gotten rid of the annoying event popup when provinces are occupied. It's all handled invisibly in the background now.

Omen chance is purely positive, whereas omen power can be both positive and negative. Combine that with the low base omen chance, and you get the following scenario:
If you take a omen chance of 50, and invoke Help of Hermes 10 times, you will end up on average with 5 failed and 5 successful omens, for a total of +/- 0 trade
If you add +10% omen power to this, you still get +/- 0
If you add +10% omen chance to this, you get 6 successful, 4 failed, for a total of +2.5% trade income over the 10 year period

If you take a omen chance of 40, +10% omen power gives you -2.5% trade income, while +10% omen chance still gives you +2.5% - omen power actually hurts you

If you take a omen chance of 60, +10% omen power gives you +2.5% and omen chance gives you +2.5%

If you take a omen chance of 70, omen power finally starts outdoing omen chance on averages, but omen chance 70 is not terribly easy to get and the laws that give omen power also reduce omen chance, meaning they are basically self defeating.

Very insightful.

The gradual citizenship helps with tech for expanding empires.

On the alliance war spam... I limited the AI to 2 allies, 1 for tribes. It works reasonably well, but it's still a problem, especially since the AI only understands one alliance layer. I really wish they would un-fix that fix.

Yes, its really annoying. There is a Bug Thread about it. The more people who jump on it the better.

Next version is gonna include some major fixes. I've managed to get rid of the flurry of early wars, fixed the wealth to gold ratio in events (paradox was using anything from 1:1 to 1:100 which created some weird events) and I've sorted out the viper's nest of bugs and sloppy scripting that is the friendship and rivalry events. On top of that I've added a little hack that lowers the warscore cost of provinces by half, so you won't have to fight a ten year war for just two provinces.

I'm trying to fix the broken, poorly balanced and poorly scripted vanilla events, so if you see any events that seem to fire too often, have options that appear to do nothing or seem unbalanced to you, please let me know either the event name (the name at the top of the event window) or the event ID.

Oh, and I've gotten rid of the annoying event popup when provinces are occupied. It's all handled invisibly in the background now.

These improvements sound excellent. Gold to wealth has always been a bit strange, your minor country is often broke and struggling for life in a serious war while your ruler languishes around with 1000 gold.

Désolé de vous déranger, mais j'aimerai juste dire que la Calabre romaine est mal mise.

I'm guessing you're trying to say Calabria is misplaced? :) Don't speak French.

My degree is in Roman history (Roman Republic specifically), so trying this mod out excites me....I don't think I have ever finished a base game of Rome as I have always become bored and/or dis-illusioned. Will give this a try in the next few days!

Just saw this mod, after revisiting the Rome forums again to see if any steps were being taken to improve the game.

I must say, I am very intrigued by what you're doing. Hopefully this revitalises Rome for me.

Hey Wiz,

Looking good so far. One question though: I'm not sure I get how the slaves from occupying provinces works. I haven't seen it happen yet as Rome although I've fought a few wars and occupied numerous provinces both civilized and tribal and the modifiers are in the occupied provinces and I've passed their expiration dates. Does this count as a bug, and should I post it in that thread?

Thanks.

As of a couple versions ago its done invisibly in the background. Every time you occupy a province that doesn't already have the war captives modifier you get some slaves in one of your core provinces (favoring your capital).