• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a GOG version of the game on my windows 7 laptop.
So I just copy the directory to Europa Universalis - Rome RotA.
I rename the cache folder to cache_vanilla
I then unzipped to a folder called RoA-2.01, for convenience, containing a Reign of the Ancients folder and a Reign of the Ancients.mod file (which win7 seems to recognise as a movie clip.
I then copy the folder to the RotA folder and the movie clip.
When I double click the Reign of the Ancients.mod file windows media player tries to open it and nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong?
I further notice that the gog version is Vae Victus 2.32.
And I can't register.

At this point I am wandering - shouldn't the Reign of the Ancients folder be in the "mod" folder that just contains the dummy.txt?

Addendum:
Integated the Rome 2.36b from GOG.com.
Ran Rome 2.36b, single player for just a few game days.
Changed properties of Reign of the Ancients.mod file to be readable by notpad. So it recognised it as a mod file.

Copied files inside Reign of the Ancients folder and pasted them in the game directory overwriting files.
In the game directory deleted all of the contents of the Rome\Map\cache\ folder, except for the province_textures folder.
Deleted all the texture files from the Rome\Map\cache\province_textures folder, keeping the empty texture folder.
Copied Reign of the Ancients folder and Image file and pasted it into the mod folder.
Used the game launcher to start up, picking the Mod from the drop down list.
Started the game.
It worked.
IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!

Last edited:
2 things.

1. I am not very good at launchers. Can someone help me with what the whole path should read for this to work?
2. As I was extracting files to the mod folder it gave me a few errors I initially skipped. They had to do with "country colors" "flags" and "rebels". I skipped them just to get the thing to install and see what happens. It was then that I realized I had forgotten to change the "cache" to "cache_vanilla" do you think this had anything to do with it?

Thanks,

i am confused..... I am not a t3ch savy guy..... let me tell you what I am doing and someone please help. Much appreciated.

1) I download and install Rome Vae Victis.
2) I download ROA.
3) I unzip ROA (but do not move anything)
4) Per the instructions I change tbe name of the cache map to "vanilla"
5) I copy and paste all folders from ROA folder to the Rome folder. Sometimes it asks me if I want to copy... copy and replace... etc. I choose "copy and replace"

I never see the mod in the launcher. What pray tell am I doing wrong? Or can someone point me to tbe post that tells me what to do..... or can someone post instructions? Tried following the ones at the beginning but I am doing something wrong, just for the life if me I cant figure out what.

"I'm sorry Captain. I cannot do it. I just don't know how" - Me as Scotty

I cant get it to work but I can sure get it to crash and I jave been TRYING to follow instructions.

Can someone friend ne on Facebook and help out maybe?

William Cunning is the name.

All right, you need to delete everything again and start over. Also remember to download and install the beta https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/patch-v2-36b-beta-checksum-yrdk.614886/

When that's installed on top of a fresh install, you copy paste the mod into the mod folder- so it should look like this:
ezzmtLR.png

Not overwriting anything in the process.

Then you go into the root folder and locate map - as in not in the mod but Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis Rome\map\cache

and delete anything except province_textures - it should look like this:
BOaKvnA.png

If it still doesn't work then I have no idea where the process messes up for you.

Assuming this is far too late to report, but I'm getting cascading alliances using this with v2.36c but not with v2.36b.
Odd but all I seem to lose going back to the "b" version is that Steam doesn't count playtime when using the mod. Oh well. :p

EDIT: I seem to have spoken too soon, I'm getting the "free council spot" crash. If anyone knows how I can use the latest version without cascading alliances I would greatly appreciate it.
EDIT 2: And in reinstalling the mod to see if that helped, I accidentally deleted all of my saves not realizing they were in that folder. Not a good night for this game and I.
EDIT 3: For anyone having the same issue, reinstalling the mod, then going back to 2.36b, then upgrading to 2.36c on top of that *seems* to have fixed it. Will report back if not.

Last edited:
Hey guys, first of all sorry for my english, i have compiled the installation instructions because it is quite confusing, thanks to other people that explained before me.
And it seems to work for now at patch 2.36c (thanks to Beverage)

1 Have a clean install of the game
2 copy the province_texture folder on the map/cache folder and stick it in the desktop for example
3 patch to 2.36b in the rome folder
4 install the mod in the mod folder
5 change the name of the cache folder (in map folder) to cache_vanilla
6 create a new folder named cache in map folder and then stick inside the previous province_texture that you have copy in the desktop
7 then stick too in the mod/map/cache folder the province_texture folder
8 until that the mod have to work, but can upgrade to 2.36c doing what Beverage says, patching to 2.36b in the rome folder, and then patching to 2.36c, and it seems to work

I hope it helps guys

Is there any solution to this?
Seems like bug in terrain textures
I just fixed this problem myself. It's been almost a year so if you're still interested then you have to follow Thypus's installation instructions and then replace everything in the rome/map/cache folder except the province terrain folder with everything (except the province terrain folder) thats in the mod/map/cache folder.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Getting a crash every time that I click on the government tab as an Imperium - was this ever fixed? I read something about a workaround fix, but the crash still happens with 2.35b and RoTA2.01.

EDIT: Solution is here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/patch-v2-36c-beta-checksum-xevc.707833/
I fixed this via event:
Reign of the Ancients: Features

Just put this file in /event folder and it will work. When a courtier died, dont click goverment tab. Wait some time ~month and free slot fill with character

I bought this game years ago, never played it. Put the CD in drive, installed, updated to 1.3v and played. Game is fun. Then I decided to search and see if any other updates exist. found 2.32, then 2.36b then 2.36c. Then I found people mod these games.

Right now I have original 1.3v installed. Then I installed 2.32v from Steam (hey it was a good price). Why not?

so far, no problems running games. However, I cannot get mods to work.

If mods are properly installed, they should be visable on the games launcher? so far I do not see a mod option anywhere.

Last edited:
I thought i'd download this to play in the far distant future or at least have my own copy incase the upload was deleted from the server due to inactivity. Just letting you know the download link is bugged.

I Rock. after 3 hours of re installing the f**king game and mod in different ways while occupying my self by watching tv to help the time pass, i figured it out how to make it work.
Mod looked to promising to give up.

- Make sure you have a clean copy of Rome Vae Victis.
- Find installation folder. For me with steam in windows 7 C:\Programfiles(86x)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Europa Universalis Rome
- Patch it to 3.36b (Copy and paste patch files over the game files which will include over writing them.)
- Here is the trick. Start the game after patch install and before you install mod. It gives the patch a chance to load up were it suppose to go.
- Extract Reign of the ancients mod files to desktop.
- copy files inside Reign of the ancients folder and paste them in the game directory which will include over writing files.
- In the game directory delete all of the contents of the Rome\Map\cache\ folder, except for the province_textures folder.
- Delete all the texture files from the Rome\Map\cache\province_textures folder, however keep the now empty texture folder inside the cache folder after deleting the texture files inside this folder.
- copy Reign of the ancients folder and Image file and paste it in the mod folder.
- Use your game launcher to start up. pick the Mod from the drop down list.
- Start the game. During load the game will load all the files you deleted and it will work.

I hope my effort helped others.

Did several test again and it worked following those steps.
good luck and enjoy the game.
Work fine