• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good as always CrusaderKnight! love the AAR. Please update soon!

von Sachsen: It is back indeed!

Enewald: Yes indeed! Well, it is because the AAR is named for my mod, and when I made the mod, I had not put too much thought into that particular aspect. I just wanted a catchy title, and so I ended up going with Regnum Iudaeorum, even though it was not the most fitting name.

AlexanderPrimus: The AAR shall remain Regnum Iudaeorum, since it is based on my mod. Regnum Hebraeorum was a working name for my project of one day turning this into a novel, but I have revamped that idea, and I think I shall expand it into a trilogy, but use a different name for it.

Oh snap is right! The upcoming battle is going to be brutal. And perhaps what makes it harder is the knowledge that this is not the final epic battle that shall draw the story to a close...

Emperor Walter: Thankyou for the praise, my emperor! :)

In regards to the next update, my current plan is to update every other weekend (because, assuming that there is also still interest in my older AAR, the Morea, I shall be updating that one as well, and so the plan would be to post one update a week, alternating between Regnum Iudaeorum one week and the Morea the next week, etc). I have less of a workload this semester than I had last semester, but there's still a lot on my shoulders, so I sadly don't have all the time in the world. I definitely plan to maintain more activity than I did last semester, and if at all possible I will update more frequently, but I am hesitant to promise anything more than once every other weekend for the time being.

crusaderknight,

First off let me say that I am a long time lurker-reader of this AAR. You truly have a God-given talent for creative writing and it shows. Second your post about the original Regnum Iudaeorum mod is what spurned me into posting.

crusaderknight is it possible that in the future, when you have more time, you could re-release Regnum Iudaeorum, updated if you can? It was quite good and I enjoyed playing it back then.

Shogun 144: Glad to hear from you! Thankyou for the high praise! I am glad to have such a wonderful outlet for my blessings. It is always a pleasure to see people enjoying the stories I tell, after all, the reader/listener is the purpose of the story. A story is told for those who will read/hear it. It is very encouraging to know that my story is appreciated by all my readAARs. :)

As far as updating the mod and re-releasing it, I will see what I can do. I am glad to hear that there is still interest in the mod. However, the earliest I would be able to do anything would be this summer. Until mid-May I will be too busy. School is quite demanding, and I already have other extra-curricular activities that require my free time (including updating my AARs and working on my novel). Plus, I will need to purchase the Vae Victus expansion for EU:R if the goal is to update RI as much as possible for the re-release. If someone else is interested in updating the mod sooner, I would be more than happy to let him do so, so long as any changes that must be made are OK-ed with me first.

Hallujiha! Preaise the Lord! :p Great update! sorry I didn't comment earlier, but I wasn't free the whole week.

Great to see it back! Jehu will win!!

BTW, since a long time passed, if you need any help with Hebrew, Hebrew names, Hebrew ideas and ideals and so fourth, at your service still.

Any word on those promised updates?

So very late, I do apologize! I had assumed that with fewer credits I would have less homework, and thus more free time. But it seems that, especially with two translation classes, I am busier than ever. The update is here at long last. Once more, I apologize, dear readAARs!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
BOOK I
The Second Exodus
Book1.jpg

CHAPTER XXIX – The Blood of Ephraim

Jehu was about to enter his command tent to prepare for the battle when Gwendolen ran up to him and embraced him tightly, tears in her eyes. “I don’t want you to die! I don’t want you to die!” she cried aloud in between sobs.

As he gently stroked her hair, Jehu said, “I will not die. I cannot die. There is much that I still must do. Do not fear, Gwendolen. All will turn out well. Once this is all over, and we have a chance to rest before returning to Pretannia, I will release you from your Regnensian marriage vows to me, and you may marry Ezra in the Hebrew manner.”

She looked up into his eyes, puzzled. He laughed and said, “Do not look at me as though you do not know what I am saying. I’ve seen you two together. I know how much you care for each other. I am happy for you. I never have been, and never could be, the husband you deserve. My heart has always been with Larissa, and that cannot change. Ezra can love you as a husband should. I want you both to be happy.”

“How can you speak of marriage at a time like this?” she asked, tears still in her eyes, “And how can you laugh? You are about to enter a fight to the death! It could mean your death, Jehu! You were so worried two nights ago, it scared me!”

The Ephraimite shook his head, “Much has happened since then. Adonai has shown me that there is yet hope. I trust that He will give me victory this day.” He gently kissed her forehead to comfort her and said, “I must prepare now. I promise you, I will return from this battle. This shall not be the last time we see each other.”

ConsolingGwendolen.jpg

“I promise you, I will return from this battle.”​

With that he entered the tent. Commius was there with Jehu’s equipment. The Ephraimite Chief was already wearing his breastplate, but the rest of his gear had been left in the tent. Jehu embraced his brother-in-law and said, “It is good to have you here, by my side, brother.”

Commius nodded and replied, “I have stood by your side since the day you saved my life, brother. Only death shall ever part us.”

Jehu then took his Corinthian helmet and put it on. Not much could give Commius the shivers, but that helmet was one of the exceptions. The Ephraimite Chief then took the sheath for his xiphos sword and tied it around his waist. The blade was then entered into its sheath. Last, he slipped his left arm into the grip for his hoplon shied and held it tight. The shield still bore the lambda, originally used to denote Sparta, now it was a constant reminder to him of his love, Larissa. A touch of sorrow panged his heart as he thought of his beloved trapped in the dungeons of Isca. He muttered a quick prayer for her safety, then nodded to Commius.

They walked out of the tent together and stood before the loyal warriors. Jehu looked at them all and smiled. He raised his sword on high and called out, “This day the battle is the Lord’s!”

His men returned the call in unison. Then he turned and walked, alone, into the center of the field to meet Elihu…

---​

The two Chiefs stood before each other, each arrayed in full Greek panoply. Jehu had received his armour from Nikodemos before his exile. Elihu’s was a gift from Iason, given to him when the Hebrews had become vassals of Kerkinitis.

Jehu’s thoughts were carried back to the past. He remembered Nikodemos, who had given him the armour, and who had given him Larissa. Nikodemos had even given Jehu the chance to live by sacrificing his own life to help delay the men pursuing the fleeing Ephraimites all those years ago. Now Nikodemos was dead because of Elihu.

Many others were dead because of Elihu as well. Eleazar, Jehu’s old tutor. Even his own father, Ahaz, had been murdered by Elihu. Abner and Ezekiel, too. Caleb was also ultimately Elihu’s responsibility. Had Jehu and his companions not been forced into exile, Caleb would not have been killed by Cassivelaunos’ men. And Larissa would not be held prisoner in Isca.

The Hebrew people as whole had suffered as well. Elihu had led them into apostasy and into subjugation. Ahaz had sought peace with Kerkinitis. Elihu merely wanted power, and was willing to sell out his own people to a gentile city in exchange for it. Yes, Elihu had much to answer for. And this day, he would answer for all of it.

The combatants braced for battle, and Elihu gave the first blow. As soon as the fight began, both armies began to bang their weapons and shields together and cry out cheers for their leaders. Jehu blocked the first blow with his shield and quickly delivered a riposte. With ferocity the Ephraimite lashed out thrice more, but each blow was parried. Elihu returned another blow, followed by another, but both were absorbed by Jehu’s hoplon. Another blow came from Jehu but Elihu leapt to the side, evading it.

With a loud war cry, Elihu rushed Jehu, shield at the ready, and Jehu braced for the impact. The Reubenite smashed into him with full force and sent Jehu flying back. Before Jehu could get up, Elihu was upon him, and thrust downwards, aiming to kill. Jehu quickly brought his shield up and successfully blocked the attack. But then Elihu grabbed the Ephraimite’s shield and pulled it away, discarding it. He struck again, but Jehu grabbed one of his legs and pulled him down.

As Jehu rose from the ground, Elihu abandoned his own shield and also rose. The melee resumed, now at a much faster pace. Blow followed blow, parry followed parry, riposte followed riposte. Both men were greatly skilled warriors, and as they moved around each other, it was as if they were dancing. Blows continued to be exchanged, and both men were beginning to grow weary.

Finally, Jehu scored a lucky blow on Elihu’s blade and knocked it out of the Reubenite’s hand. Elihu rushed his opponent and grabbed him, throwing him to the ground. Jehu also lost his blade and the two began to wrestle on the ground, using fists, knees, and teeth as weapons. As the fight continued, Jehu’s helmet was pulled off and cast aside. But Jehu quickly answered with a solid knee into Elihu’s gut. Elihu reacted quicker than Jehu expected, however. The Reubenite picked up a fist-sized rock and swung it at Jehu, colliding with his face. Jehu spun ‘round and fell to the ground.

The Ephraimite searched frantically for a weapon and saw his xiphos not far off. He tried to rise and make a break for the sword, but Elihu caught up to him and threw the rock, hitting the back of Jehu’s head. Blood began to pour from where the rock had struck him, but Jehu couldn’t afford to care. He quickly rolled over just in time to see Elihu diving for him. He braced, caught the Reubenite in mid air, and flipped him over onto his back. With all the force he could muster, his fist collided with Elihu’s face. The Reubenite let out a cry of pain and began to scramble for his own blade. Jehu took this opportunity to recover his xiphos.

The two men rose, almost simultaneously, about five feet apart. Both were bleeding, both were gasping for air, yet both still held a sword, and neither was about to surrender. They charged each other and became locked in a vicious and bloody melee. Each received multiple slash wounds as the fight progressed. Yet neither seemed to gain the upper hand until at last a miscalculation by Elihu enabled Jehu to get his left fist past the Reubenite’s defenses and strike his face with full force. The blow stunned Elihu for a just a moment, but that was all Jehu needed. He grabbed Elihu, delivered a knee blow to his stomach followed by a head-butt. He tore Elihu’s blade away and, holding him with his left hand, said, “Today the blood of all those you murdered shall be avenged. Your evil ends now!” And with that he plunged his sword into Elihu’s heart.

As Jehu pulled his blade from the Reubenite’s chest, Elihu managed to sputter, “So… at last it… comes full circle…” before sinking to his knees, collapsing, and breathing his last.

JehuvsElihu.jpg

“At last… it comes full circle…”​

For a moment, all was silent. Both armies had stopped shouting. All that could be heard was Jehu’s panting as his fatigued body screamed for oxygen. Then the realization struck him that the battle was over. Elihu was finally dead. All those he had killed could rest in peace, and Jehu was finally restored to leadership of the Ten Tribes. He raised his sword into the air and let out a cry of victory. All of his men joined in the shout and rushed the field, surrounding their Chief in a throng of utter joy. They began to chant his name, but he quickly stopped them and said, “No my brothers. Adonai has won the battle this day. Cheer Him.” And so their cry became, “Adonai! Adonai! Adonai!”

The rulers of the other Tribes slowly approached the field and knelt before Jehu, trembling. Lemuel raised his eyes, but remained kneeling, and said, “Mighty victor, will you now take vengeance upon us for serving Elihu against your father and against you?”

Jehu shook his head, “No. Elihu is dead. I will not continue his policy of slaughtering fellow Hebrews merely to strengthen my own position. If you will here and now renounce the false gods he led you to, and instead renew your allegiance to me, and above me, to Adonai, then you will be spared. Should you find this unacceptable, then you shall be exiled, never again to return to your people. But I will spill no more Hebrew blood this day.”

Each of the Chiefs answered in succession that his terms were acceptable, and that both they and their tribes would be reconciled to Jehu and to Adonai. Thus their past crimes were forgiven them. Jehu gave orders for Ezra and Hanan to tend to matters for the time being. He had lost much blood, and was near collapse. He needed rest. Two Ephraimite soldiers helped him walk back to the camp, and there Gwen treated his wounds, weeping tears of joy that he had returned.

Well I'm about a year and a half late in getting to it, but I must say I've enjoyed reading your previous updates. They are well written. :)
Also, awesome battle! Glory to God! :D

And what shall the Reubenite tribe do? Simply allow the power to vanish into the hands of a Breton?

And shall Jehu force his people to march unto Britannia`?

Great battle! Funnliy Jehu is the one and only leader of the tribes!

But I agree with the rest here, I don't think he will be greeted with only hugs and kisses.

@ all: I'm glad you all enjoyed the battle! :cool: As far as whether everyone will follow Jehu or not, they probably all would have accepted him in light of his claim and his victory, had he decided to maintain the status quo. But we all know what he has in mind, and that won't sit too well with all the people...

@ JDMS: Glad to have you aboard! Glad you've been enjoying it thus far. I hope to keep the story as enjoyable, if not more so. :D

It's back! :D

It's back indeed!

And good news for fans of the mod (or those interested in giving it a try), I am installing EU:R on my laptop as we speak, and once I get the Regnum Iudaeorum mod up and running, and my game fully patched, I shall begin work on updating the mod for the latest patch. Also, I'm not sure if my mod's forum is still up and running, hopefully it is. If it is, then I shall post a link to it here (unless that's against the rules on these forums? I forget if it is). It will take some time, but I'll get the mod working for the latest patch for Vanilla Rome. However, a Vae Victus compatible mod will have to wait until I can procure a copy of said expansion.

Anywho, staying on topic for the AAR, I'm now working on the next chapter. Hope to have it for you soon! :cool:

Hi Crusaderknight,

I always use the ACAs to take some time to review AARs in the forums I wouldn't normally view. Just caught up with this and it's quite the read - well done!

Iain

AlexanderPrimus: The traitor-tyrant is dead indeed! Of course, Jehu can scarcely afford to catch his breath now. He still has much to do if he is ever to liberate his betrothed from the clutches of Dumnorix...

Iain Wilson: Glad you are enjoying the story! Hope to have more for you to read, soon!

To all readAARs, I apologize for my scant presence in AARland these past few months. Things at school went not at all as I had anticipated. This past semester was my lowest number of credits yet (17), so I assumed it would be a nice easy ride with plenty of time for AARland and other activities, but ironically, it was my most academically intense semester yet. I had little time for much else besides school. But summer is at last here and I plan to make up for all the time I have lost. We've got a lot of epic battles and intrigues yet to go, and I am eager to get them out to you. :cool:

Can't wait. :)