• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm working on the next chapter as we speak. My tentative plan is to have it up by this time next week. Hopefully I can keep to that.

My sincere apologies to my loyal readAARs for keeping you two months without an update. School has hit me very hard, with 20 hours of classes, plus homework and other obligations. But today I have lots of free time, and I am finishing up the next chapter as we speak. It should be up by the end of the day. Once again, I apologize for the long delay.

I would also like to thank everyone who voted for this AAR in the AARland Choice AwAARds! Your support is most appreciated!

BOOK I
The Second Exodus
Book1.jpg

CHAPTER XXVII – The Last Breath Before the Plunge

The morning after the meeting in the tent, Ezra took Jehu aside and said, “Brother, there is someone here I would like you to meet.”

Jehu smiled and said, “Certainly, brother! Who is it?”

Ezra took his brother to a tent on the outskirts of the camp. As they entered it, Jehu caught sight of its single inhabitant and a sudden look of recognition imprinted itself upon his face. He laughed with joy and shouted, “Petros! Is it really you?”

The young Greek soldier smiled and said, “It is indeed, Jehu! It is has been far too long!”

“It has, my friend! It has!” was Jehu’s reply. And with that, the two of them embraced in friendship. After the embrace, Jehu added, “I thought you surely would have hated me!”

Petros hung his head in shame and said, “For a time, I did. When news of my father’s death came, I blamed you for it. I hated you, because it was your fault that my father had become a traitor. It was your fault that he turned on our own men. It was your fault he was dead.”

Jehu tried to speak, but before he could, his friend continued, “But then I saw Ezra again. At first, I hated him, too. I wanted nothing to do with him. I was an orphan, an outcast. But Ezra wouldn’t let me go. He told me the truth about what happened. He told me about Elihu, and how Iason had secretly worked with him. I didn’t believe it at first, but eventually, I came to understand the truth. Since that day, I have covertly dedicated myself to the preservation of your people, and to the destruction of Iason. I was able to convince him to welcome me back, that I wasn’t a traitor like my father. He has never trusted me since that day, but he did allow me join the military as a scout. Which reminds me, I must be off now. If I do not return soon, they will suspect something. It was good to see you again, Jehu. I will not be able to be there when you face Elihu, but I will come as soon as I can.”

Jehu nodded, “It was good to see you again, my friend. May Adonai keep you!”

The Hebrew Chief was rather surprised at Petros’ reply, “And may He keep you as well!”

As the Greek mounted his horse and rode out of the camp, Ezra explained to Jehu that during his time with them, Petros had come to faith in Adonai. Chief Hanan of Manasseh had even adopted him into his tribe. Petros truly was one of the Hebrews now. This filled Jehu with joy.

But there was little time for that now. The men of the camp were already preparing for the march. It was time to confront Elihu. Jehu walked through the camp, seeing the faces of his men. They all saluted him and greeting him with respect, some also called out encouraging cries such as, “We’ll win this war for you, sir!” The Hebrew Chief was thankful for their devotion, but he prayed fervently for another way out.

He spent a good portion of the march that day thinking. They were now only days away from confrontation with Elihu. He could not afford to have his own people butchering each other. This was a fight between him and Elihu. Nobody else had to die. But what could he do? His mind raced furiously for some lesson that Cartimandua had taught him that might help. But nothing came to him.

Everyone had noticed his silence that day, and when camp was made, Commius, Ezra, and Benoni came to him and asked him to speak with them, to take a load off of his mind. Jehu agreed, and the four of them sat around a camp fire and felt the cool night breeze against their faces. Commius was the first to speak, “What’s troubling you, brother?”

With a heavy sigh, Jehu opened up to his companions, “I cannot find a way out. I do not wish for our people to slaughter each other needlessly. As their leader I am supposed to protect them, not lead them against one another. This fight is between me and Elihu. Nobody else. But I cannot find a way to force his hand into a one-on-one battle.”

They were silent for a time, as each of the three men tried to think of something to suggest. Gwendolen came by with some hot soup for them. She could sense the importance of their meeting, and so she said nothing. She simply gave each of them a bowl of soup and left, not wanting to be a disruption. After taking a sip of his soup, Jehu said, “It is hopeless.”

“Nothing is ever hopeless,” replied Benoni. “There is always a way. Remember what you were taught, first by Eleazar and your father, and later by Caleb and I. Think of Moses before Pharaoh, David in his battle with Goliath, Elijah when he defied the prophets of Baal and the wicked Ahab and Jezebel, or your own father when he inherited the Tribes from his father at the age of eleven. All of these men were in situations that seemed hopeless, but Adonai never abandoned them, and all of them were victorious against their struggles. Adonai will provide a way out.”

As if in answer to Benoni’s words, though in truth he been too deep in thought to hear the Manassite, Ezra said, “Jehu, I think I know a way!”

“Tell us, Ezra,” said the Chief.

“Chief Lemuel of the Tribe of Naphtali,” came the reply. “He is an elder, the only man left alive with memory of the Second Exodus under your grandfather and father. His word carries much weight. He will not defy Elihu directly, for fear of the repercussions against his Tribe, but if we can convince him of the righteousness of our cause, and of what you intend to do, he will most certainly help you escape an all out battle.”

Benoni nodded, “Our scouts report that Elihu’s army is quickly marching this way. We should close by the end of the next day. We may be able to sneak someone into Elihu’s camp tomorrow night to speak to Lemuel for you—”

It was here that Jehu cut him off, “No, it must be me.”

“Out of the question!” said the Manassite. “We cannot risk you!”

“Brother,” insisted Commius, “Let me go in your stead!”

Then Ezra spoke up, “No, I am the best candidate. He knows me well, and should I die, then we do not lose our leader, as we would if you die, Jehu. Nor will the Regnenses lose the heir to their throne, which is what would happen were you to die, Commius.”

Jehu, however, was insistent, “No, I must be the one to go. Only I can convince him to side with us. He must understand the lengths I am willing to go to for my people. Yes, I will be risking everything to infiltrate Elihu’s camp, but that is as it must be. I think I am beginning to understand the vision I had while I was with Cartimandua. It ended with both my father and I inside a fire cave. There was a thin ledge which led to a golden crown. But when we were half way to the crown, the ledge began to collapse, and my father fell. I grasped him, but he told me to let go of him and take the crown. At the time, I thought the crown merely an earthly lump of gold, something that could never be more important than my father. But now I understand. The crown is not just a golden object, but the symbol of a ruler and his authority and power. And with great power comes great responsibility. You taught me that, Benoni. That crown represents my duty to my people, and I cannot put anything, save Adonai Himself, before my people. Not if I am to be the ruler I was born to be. No, not even my own safety must come before my people. If ever I am to take my father’s place, I must be the one to do this. Do you understand?”

They all reluctantly agreed. The next day was spent on the final march to the site of battle. Everybody was silent. The loyal Ephraimite and Manassite soldiers did not revel in the prospect of killing their brethren in battle, and Jehu’s companions were none too fond of the risks he would take in infiltrating Elihu’s camp alone. But there was nothing anyone could do, so they marched onwards to their destiny.

That night, when camp was made, they could see the fires of Elihu’s camp in the distance. Over four thousand warriors were there, resting and preparing for the next day’s battle. To the loyal warriors, this added to their trepidation. Many spent the night praying for deliverance from the upcoming and seemingly inevitable battle. Jehu, however, did not have time for such a luxury. He uttered a quick prayer for protection and then sneaked out of the camp and began his journey towards his foe.

During his time alone as he wandered in between the two camps, Jehu’s mind was inexorably drawn once more to Cartimandua. Her words echoed in his mind, “Your God has a plan for you, and He has seen fit to show me glimpses of that plan. Soon He will set in motion the events that will lead you to your destiny. There are great things in store for you, Jehu. But you must keep Faith. Do not give up, no matter how difficult things may seem.”

Sometimes it was hard not to give up. He knew what he had to do, but he did not know how he could accomplish it. How was he going to sneak into Elihu’s camp? How would he find Lemuel? And how would he be sure Lemuel wouldn’t just call for help and get him captured? What if he failed? What could he do? It all seemed so hopeless. Then he remembered the last words that the Oracle had said to him before sending him away, “Do not lose Faith in your God, for He will not lose Faith in you.” He paused for a moment, closed his eyes, and mouthed the word “trust”.

By the time he reached Elihu’s camp, the army was asleep. All his years spent with the Regnenses had turned him into an expert outdoorsman, and he was able to slip past the outer sentries with ease. Nobody else within the whole camp was awake. He crept through the rows of tents, checking standards for the banner of Naphtali. Upon seeing it, he made his way to the most ornate tent amongst the Naphtalites. That was where Lemuel would be.

Creeping through the entrance to the tent, Jehu made his way right up to Lemuel’s bed. Then, he put his hand over Lemuel’s mouth and woke him. The Naphtalite Chief tried to cry out at first, but Jehu gently shushed him and said, “It’s okay, Lemuel. It is I, Jehu. I’m not here to harm you!”

When Lemuel stopped struggling, Jehu removed his hand from the man’s mouth. The old Chief then whispered, “What are you doing here? You could easily be killed!”

“I know,” was the Ephraimite’s reply. “But it is a necessary risk. For I do not wish other Hebrews to die.”

Lemuel did not understand what Jehu meant. So the Ephraimite elaborated, “If our two armies engage in battle tomorrow, Elihu will almost certainly win, but at the cost of hundreds, perhaps thousands of Hebrew lives. I wish to save those lives by engaging Elihu in single combat for leadership of the Tribes. All Ten Tribes will serve whomever is victorious. The other combatant will be slain. Nobody else needs to die.”

The Naphtalite nodded, “There is wisdom in your words, young Jehu. But you are correct in stating that Elihu has the advantage here. What incentive will he have to face you in single combat, where he has a greater chance of defeat? He cares not for the lives of our people as you claim to.”

“That is where you come in,” said Jehu. “Naturally, he will scoff at me when I issue this challenge. But if you speak out in agreement with me, the other Chiefs will heed your words, for you are the wisest and eldest among our people. They will listen to you. And then, with all eight of his Tribes expecting him to show courage and face me in combat, he will have to in order to save face.”

“I don’t know that this will work, Jehu,” was Lemuel’s answer.

Jehu looked him in the eyes and said, “If you care about the lives of our people, Lemuel, you will do this for me.” Lemuel closed his eyes for a moment and said, “You are right, Jehu”. But when he opened them again, the Ephraimite was gone…

So, any hint of an update?

*bump*

COMING SOON!

The epic climax and completion of the first book of the Regnum Iudaeorum saga!​

This January, cheer on Jehu as he battles the wicked Chief Elihu for command of the Ten Tribes only to face even greater obstacles before he can free his beloved Larissa from the clutches of the tyrannical Dumnorix!

Many have died, and yet more shall fall before our story ends. Will Jehu and his small band of Hebrews be able to survive the challenges that await them? Or will the power of Dumnorix and his god, Dumnonos, overcome our rag tag band of heroes? Find out in January of 2010!

My apologies to all my readAARs for going so long without an update. This semester has been utterly crazy! 20.5 credits have kept me very busy. Added to that social life and other commitments, I’ve had very little time for writing anything other than papers for classes. But over the course of Christmas break, I plan to spend a good portion of my free time writing updates for both of my main AARs (sorry to fans of my Welsh AAR, that will have to wait until Spring Break). I should have a good amount of updates written to help me provide more regular updates next semester. Hopefully, 2010 will see much more regularity in my updating than this year has. I certainly won’t have as many credits sapping my time, resources, and energy. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy New Year, and Happy Whatever-Else-You-May-Be-Celebrating! I will see you all in January!

I am very glad to see that there is still interest in this AAR. I am very excited to continue it in January. :D

Also, it recently came to my attention that this AAR won Favourite Rome Narrative in Round 3 of the ACA while I was away. I would like to thank those who voted for it, and indeed all of my readAARs! Your support is very much appreciated, and I hope to continue providing you with a story worthy of your devotion! :cool:

BOOK I
The Second Exodus
Book1.jpg

CHAPTER XXVIII – The Fox and the Bear

The next morning, every warrior in both camps rose with the sun. In Jehu’s camp, the small amount of Levite priests who had accompanied the Ephraimites and Manassites into their exile were making their rounds of the men, praying with and for them. An altar was built, and a sacrifice was made with a prayer for deliverance from the power of Elihu and his false gods. Jehu muttered a quick prayer before meeting with his captains, and hoped that the day would end with only the blood of Elihu spilt.

As Jehu looked out over the field at the opposing army, Hanan, Ezra, and Pekah joined him. He nodded to them, acknowledging their presence, then he said, “Today Elihu will pay for his crimes. As Adonai is my witness, he will fall this day. May the sun never again rise upon his tyranny and apostasy.”

BeforeBattleAgainstElihu.jpg

“Today Elihu will pay for his crimes.”​

Ezra nodded in response, “If Adonai wills it, brother.”

Hanan asked, “My lord, are you certain that the plan will work? That you will be able to fight and kill Elihu in single combat?”

Jehu sighed and said, “Chief Lemuel assured me that he would do his best to convince Elihu to give in. All should go according to plan. And if Adonai is with me, I shall slay Elihu and put an end to his evil.”

“All the same,” added the Manassite Chief, “I think it would be wise to speak to the men. They are willing to fight and to die for you should it come to that, but with over four times our number arrayed against us, a pitched battle will surely destroy us. It would give them courage to hear from you. They have waited many years for your return.”

“You are right,” The Ephraimite said. He turned to his men, who stood in line, ready for battle, and said, “Sons of Joseph! My brothers of the Tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh! It gladdens my heart to see you here today! It fills my soul with joy to know that you have not forsaken our God, the Lord Who brought our forefathers out of Egypt, Who delivered them into the Promised Land, Who safeguarded His chosen remnant during the days of Ahab and during our long captivity at the hands of Assyria, Babylon, and Persia, Who delivered us from Persia under the leadership of my grandfather, and Who has kept us safe in this land where we now dwell. It has not always been an easy road that we have trod, but Adonai has preserved us! May He once more preserve us! I have no desire to see Hebrew killing Hebrew in senseless violence and bloodshed! If at all possible, I will battle Elihu myself, in single combat, and kill him, and reunite our Tribes with our eight brother Tribes who even now stand against us! Should I fail to convince him to battle me, or should I be slain in the duel, you, my brothers, will be the sole remaining guardians of our Faith in this land of the Krimea! You must stand against Elihu with all the resolve you can muster in your hearts, and know that Adonai is at your side! Should I fall, I want you to follow my Captain-at-Arms, Ezra. He is to rule in my stead. But, Adonai willing, I shall kill Elihu before the day is out, and we may all be rejoined as one family, one nation, one people. Let us not forget what we fight for. Elihu has forsaken Adonai, he has led the Tribes into apostasy. He would rather serve Baal and Molech, false gods who demand the lives of our children as sacrifices, who have done nothing for Israel. We stand here to preserve our Faith, our heritage. We stand for all that the Hebrew people are, while he would make us to be like the Canaanites! He does not stand for Israel. We do! We are Israel! And we shall defend Israel to the last!”

The men let out a loud cheer and began to bang their weapons upon their shields. Jehu smiled at them, then turned to face the enemy, and muttered another quick prayer for Adonai’s blessing. Then, with Pekah at his side, he marched into the middle of the field to meet with Elihu…

---​

“He’s coming out to meet us!” said Dathan, Chief of the Tribe of Dan, in amazement. “He’s not going to surrender is he?”

“No,” replied Elihu. “He survived the wilderness of who-knows-where for nine years. He’s smarter than that.”

Nadab, the Chief of the Tribe of Gad, said, “Remember, he is of Hosea’s dynasty. Hosea was not to be trusted, and neither is Jehu. Like his forefather before him, he is sly, like a fox. How else could he have survived the coup against Ahaz?”

It was then that Lemuel spoke. “My lord,” he said to Elihu, “Jehu comes as the leader of an army, and as a Chief. While he may no longer possess the title ‘Chief of the Hebrews’ as your lordship now does, he is still the Chief of the Tribe of Ephraim, and even the Manassites follow him. He has displayed force of arms numbering at least one thousand men. He survived the wilderness for nine years and has returned as a man. He is an opponent who is worthy of respect. It would be beneath your lordship to give him anything less than the courtesy due to a worthy opponent.”

Elihu glared at the Naphtalite, “Your words may be wise, O honoured elder, but do not presume to dictate what is and is not beneath me again.”

Lemuel bowed his head, “My apologies, my lord. I merely wished to offer counsel.”

With a snort, Elihu replied, “And I must admit, it is good counsel. Very well, we shall hear what this ‘fox’ has to say. Dathan, Lemuel, you two will accompany me to meet him. Nadab, ensure that the men are ready for battle. When this meeting is over, we will crush the rebels and forever be rid of the descendants of Joseph. May Baal assist us in this endeavour!”

ChiefElihuB.jpg

“Very well, we shall hear what this ‘fox’ has to say.”

---​

When both parties had arrived in the center of the field, Elihu said haughtily, “I have deigned to hear your words before your forces are crushed. We may speak, Chief to Chief, as you wish. But then you will die, and all of the Hebrew people will be mine!”

“I shall be brief,” was Jehu’s answer. “We are both Chiefs, and we both claim to be the rightful ruler of the Hebrew people. I claim it as my just inheritance, as the son of Ahaz, the son of Caleb, the son of Nahum, the son of Eber, and all their fathers as well, back to Hosea, the last King of Israel. You claim it through force of arms and through murder. I say, as Chiefs of our people, let us not waste their blood in a pointless civil war that will only break an already weakened people. If we kill hundreds, perhaps thousands of Hebrews in open battle today, then those who survive will be unable to resist enslavement by Kerkinitis or Cherson or any of the Skythian or Sarmatian tribes that would so readily destroy us. Rather, let us preserve our people. This battle is between your claim, and mine. Between your god, and my God. So let us see who’s claim, who’s God, is the stronger. I challenge you to single combat to the death. The winner takes all the Ten Tribes as his own, and his God will be their God. The loser will be slain, and his god forgotten.”

The Reubenite Chief laughed in Jehu’s face and said, “Our people are only this weak because your grandfather led us out of our prosperous life in Persia and got himself killed. Our people are only this weak because your father led us in circles through the Steppes for forty years while our numbers dwindled! Our people are only this weak because your Tribes, you Sons of Joseph, have always been greedy for power and for land and for wealth! Our people are only this weak because your God has not provided us with the homeland that your grandfather promised us when our fathers left Persia to follow him! The problem is not me. The problem is not my gods. The problem is you, your God, and your stinking Tribes! I will not engage in this duel! The Ten Tribes of Israel have been Ten Tribes long enough. We got rid of two Tribes once, when Jeroboam led our people away from Rehoboam. We’ve been fine without Judah and Benjamin. And another thing, Jeroboam led us away from your God. So perhaps it’s time for me to follow in his footsteps. Under Jeroboam the Twelve Tribes of Israel became the Ten Tribes of Israel. Under Elihu the Ten Tribes of Israel shall become the Eight Tribes of Israel! And we shall serve Baal and Molech, the gods of the Canaanites, who provided much more for their people than your Adonai ever has for us!”

Jehu was about to shout something in response when Lemuel held up a quieting hand. The old Naphtalite put a hand on Elihu’s shoulder to get his attention, and whispered, “You forget, my lord, that though Jeroboam did forsake Adonai, it was only after he had been given the Ten Tribes by Adonai. You also forget that Jeroboam was an Ephraimite, just as Jehu is. And I need not remind you that under your leadership we have become vassals to Iason in Kerkinitis. It was a wise move, sire. But he waits for us to grow weaker, so that instead of his vassals, we may be his slaves. Jehu is right that a civil war now will weaken us. Yes, you will win the battle. But you will only win slavery for yourself and for our people. My lord, I know you do not wish to be Iason’s slave. None of us do. So I advise that you accept his offer. He may be a fox, sire, but you are a bear! You can kill him in single combat. Then it will be known that Adonai has forsaken even those He called to lead. Then Ephraim and Manasseh will forsake Adonai and join with us. Better to subjugate the Sons of Joseph, that not only this generation, but their sons, their sons’ sons, their sons’ sons’ sons, and onwards until the end of time, may be punished for the sins of these two Tribes. But this way, we will have strength enough to resist enslavement by Iason, and possibly even break free one day. And when the battle against Iason does come, you can use the Ephraimites and Manassites as fodder. They will be the expendable soldiers who will die in the front lines against Iason’s hoplites. Then, when our beloved Eight Tribes join the battle, the hoplites will be fatigued, and we will win an easy victory. My lord, much more good will come of killing only Jehu than will come by destroying Joseph entirely this day. I urge you to reconsider!”

With a frustrated sigh, Elihu said, “Why must you always be right, Lemuel?” Then, turning to Jehu, he said, “I have changed my mind. We meet at this very spot in one hour. Then you will die.”

Jehu simply nodded and said, “One hour.”

Then the two parties returned to their respective armies, and the two Chiefs prepared themselves for the fateful battle that would determine the destiny of the Ten Tribes…

It's back! And great as always. Excellent writing Crusaderknight.

Funny that since the tribe of Judah is no longer amongst the 10 tribes, it still remains a part of the title of this AAR. :rolleyes::p

Lol, I think CK retconned it to Regnum Hebraeorum, or maybe that is the future version...

Regarding the update: 'Oh snap!' Well done, CK. I'm always glad to read your updates. Though now I'm so excited for the next one, I hope it comes soon. :p