• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Elvain,

The spelling of 'Aolst' in Flanders is incorrect, it should either be Alost (French spelling) or Aalst (Flemish spelling).

You could also divide Brabant in (at least) two parts: proper Brabant, being the area around Brussels and Leuven (first a county, but from 1184 a duchy) and the March of Antwerp (an area including Antwerp, Breda, Bergen Op zoom and 's Hertogenbosch)

Why does Lleida (your "Lérida") stretch to the sea? I've never seen a serious map plaing the March of Lleida that big. Also, it "eats" the actual town of Tarragona, that was, in theory, inside the March of Tortosa.

Another thing, while you take Provence out of France (because it wasn't part of France until much later, with Charles of Anjou's inheritance and machiavellic adventures) and even the French Basque Country, back into Navarra where it belongs, you put in France the Rosselló (with its sub-county, the Conflent, or Conflans in French), which would not become part of France definitively until 1650 aprox.

For the rest, the map seems to be a good one, except for Spain, which looks bland and undefined. It's a difficult land to map in regions, because it has tens of overlying jurisdictions (towns, bishoprics, herding rights for the Mesta, etc), but there are some. For example, in Galicia some divisions can be made: Trastámara, Lemos, Sarria, Traba... they are more dynastic patrimonium than actual counties and clear duchies, but sadly enough, that's not how Spain works. Except for Catalonia, thanks to Carolingian organisation.

Why does Lleida (your "Lérida") stretch to the sea? I've never seen a serious map plaing the March of Lleida that big. Also, it "eats" the actual town of Tarragona, that was, in theory, inside the March of Tortosa.

Another thing, while you take Provence out of France (because it wasn't part of France until much later, with Charles of Anjou's inheritance and machiavellic adventures) and even the French Basque Country, back into Navarra where it belongs, you put in France the Rosselló (with its sub-county, the Conflent, or Conflans in French), which would not become part of France definitively until 1650 aprox.

For the rest, the map seems to be a good one, except for Spain, which looks bland and undefined. It's a difficult land to map in regions, because it has tens of overlying jurisdictions (towns, bishoprics, herding rights for the Mesta, etc), but there are some. For example, in Galicia some divisions can be made: Trastámara, Lemos, Sarria, Traba... they are more dynastic patrimonium than actual counties and clear duchies, but sadly enough, that's not how Spain works. Except for Catalonia, thanks to Carolingian organisation.
Yes, thanks for the notes.

1) map of Spain is quite outdated and lacks detail. But it was one of the first ones I made and so far I didn't get back for revision. Hopefully some times in future. Honestly, The map of Spain is the one part I'm really not proud of and deserves revision. Sadly I can't promise it any time soon.

2) inclusion or exclusion of regions in France has one simple reason. The map pretty much follows the main source, which excludes eastern France as part of the empire, while the wouth is still considered as de iure part of France.

The project is few years old and only some parts of it were updated with the new research I made.
Currently I am working on deep revision of West Africa and Sahara. I also have done some progress in Germany so the map of Germany might be released some time this year.
But the project is very time-consuming and the progress is very slow.

so here I am again after some time.

While working on SWMH mod for CK2 I did another extensive research of West and North Africa and thanks to that I will update the map.
Thanks to Axl Madness from the SWMH team I also decided to change skin of the map, so from now on I plan to make updates look little better than in the past.

So, here is a snapshot of work in progress in Africa:
View attachment 73511

Last edited:
Urgench is missing. Central Asia is pretty hopeless to get right. I suggest you use river names or like for Siberia, many of the old Siberian Ostrogs seem to be based on river names anyway...

here are some of the latest updates, mainly in Africa:

Maghreb in cca 8th-13th century:
Maghreb.GIF

Iraq and the Levant
Iraq&Levant.gif

Egypt in the Fatimid period:
Egypt-all.jpg

Nubia and the land of the Beja:
Nubia-all.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you're going so far into Russia and the Middle East. Let me or @LlywelynII know if you need maps of China or if there's a different place for maps of China. Also, please use pinyin for the Chinese names. I think the characters (汉字) actually sounded different during these dynasties, but if you talk about Tzangngang or Sian or something instead of Chang'an no one will know what you're talking about.

It looks like you're going so far into Russia and the Middle East. Let me or @LlywelynII know if you need maps of China or if there's a different place for maps of China. Also, please use pinyin for the Chinese names. I think the characters (汉字) actually sounded different during these dynasties, but if you talk about Tzangngang or Sian or something instead of Chang'an no one will know what you're talking about.
Thank you for the offer!

Although I don't see having capacities to move on to include also China, I will certainly appreciate some maps of medieval Chinese history. We can get closer via direct messages maybe?

Is it possible to see the current state of the project?

Is it possible to see the current state of the project?
You mean the whole map?
Probably yes, but because it's pretty big, you won't be able to see much (any) detail...
and sadly when upgrading to a better background map twice, I had to restart and lost quite a big part of the progress...

Here is a very low quality cut of the current map. It goes further south in Africa and east in Asia to include India, but nothing much is filled there.. and as you can see, I need to draw almost everything in Europe all over again
Z4UJ607.jpg

I see. Good luck!

yet another update from Europe. Now more detailed look at Bohemia:
Cechy-Hradiste-EN-small.jpg

And now little more decent update of both Bohemia and Poland
Poland-Bohemia-regions.png

And with few more details of cities:
Poland-Bohemia-cities.png

• 2Like
Reactions: