Regional price adjustments for selected upcoming titles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MattiasPDX

Head of Sales
Paradox Staff
Dec 14, 2022
Hello everyone,

We want to give you all a heads up that some currencies will soon see a regional price adjustment for two of our upcoming games: Cities Skylines II and The Lamplighters League. As always, we want to be as transparent as possible, so before I dive into the details of the degree each currency is affected, I’d like to share our reasoning for this adjustment.

As a general rule, we try to maintain a reasonably fair balance between regional prices, based on peer benchmarks as well as purchasing power parity across markets and industries. As a result, this coming regional adjustment is mainly motivated by several markets not being in line with our benchmark, which increases the risk of regional price abuse, for some currencies.

The price changes in question will come into effect at the time of both games’ releases. For Lamplighters League - October 3rd 2023, and Cities Skylines II, October 24th 2023. Prior to these dates, pre-order prices will remain at current levels. Furthermore please note that the price adjustments listed here will affect only Steam and Epic, no other platform.

The price adjustments of these games will vary from market to market. The currency that is most off our benchmark is the Argentinian Peso, and you can expect an increase of up to 170% there.

Some of the other prominent currencies to be affected by this price adjustment will be:
BRL - up to 30%
JPY - up to 30%
TRY - up to 60%
RUB - up to 40%
You can also expect to see adjustments of a similar level for PEN, COP, KZT, UYU, UAH

There is also a number of currencies which will receive smaller price increases:
IDR, MYR, PHP, SGD, THB, KRW, MXN, CAD, CNY, INR, CLP, ZAR, TWD, SAR, AED, KWD, QAR, CRC, VND.

USD, GBP and EUR will not see any price increases in this price adjustment.

I realize there is a lot of information to take in. We can’t fit details of every single currency adjustment here, but if you’re curious about the details of any currency, please ask away and I’ll do my best to provide additional information.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hi!
Thanks for letting us know in advance, appreciate it! I can assume the price in RUB has changed because of the USD to RUB exchange rate, but how so for UAH? Could you explain the reason for both of the cases?
I'll share this news with our community in the meantime.

Will there any any price change for the "SASIA-USD" (South Asia - USD)? Compared to other games, CS2's price is set pretty high. (128% above Valve suggested price).

Hi!
Thanks for letting us know in advance, appreciate it! I can assume the price in RUB has changed because of the USD to RUB exchange rate, but how so for UAH? Could you explain the reason for both of the cases?
I'll share this news with our community in the meantime.
All changes to prices in this adjustment are motivated by the same reason: the currencies listed in our original post are currently behind our benchmark. In the case of UAH, the prices will increase by up to about 40%.

To clarify, the variables that go into setting our benchmark are explained here:
As a general rule, we try to maintain a reasonably fair balance between regional prices, based on peer benchmarks as well as purchasing power parity across markets and industries. As a result, this coming regional adjustment is mainly motivated by several markets not being in line with our benchmark, which increases the risk of regional price abuse, for some currencies.

Will there any any price change for the "SASIA-USD" (South Asia - USD)? Compared to other games, CS2's price is set pretty high. (128% above Valve suggested price).
South Asia - USD will not be affected by this price adjustment.

Reactions:
Hello, thanks for the warning in advance. But may I know what your benchmark is? It’s just that I noticed that prices in RUB with an increase of 40 percent will still be lower than KZT prices, and you are still going to increase KZT prices. Although the purchasing power in the KZT market is less than the Russian region.

I think a reasonable price is what locals get paid for several hours of work. At this price, people are more willing to buy games. It's certainly that similar price around the world can prevent regional price abuse, but at the same time, this will make the game unaffordable for the majority of citizens in low and middle income countries. Also, this may lead to widespread piracy which is much worse than regional price abuse. For example, according to the middle wages(*) of Chinese people, a good price of standard edition is 128 CNY, which is about 18 US dollars.
* Chinese people with low income don't have a PC or Playstation which runs Cities: Skylines II properly, they are not your target customers.

Thanks for making such a good game, but I really hope you can take my advice about game prices into consideration.

Reactions:
hello, about BRL, Real today is stronger than it has been for more than 3 years, and is somewhat stabilized, what explains this 30% increase? Have prices been outdated since 2018-2019?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think a reasonable price is what locals get paid for several hours of work. At this price, people are more willing to buy games. It's certainly that similar price around the world can prevent regional price abuse, but at the same time, this will make the game unaffordable for the majority of citizens in low and middle income countries. Also, this may lead to widespread piracy which is much worse than regional price abuse. For example, according to the middle wages(*) of Chinese people, a good price of standard edition is 128 CNY, which is about 18 US dollars.
* Chinese people with low income don't have a PC or Playstation which runs Cities: Skylines II properly, they are not your target customers.

Thanks for making such a good game, but I really hope you can take my advice about game prices into consideration.
Same for many other places in Asia/Africa. It's not people don't play there, they just don't buy it for the skyrocketing price. I'm fortunate enough to pay for CS2 myself, but it'll be more than 3 days worth income to pay for it for average middle class people as in your example. Keep in mind, there's also extra fee for converting local currencies to USD.

The PLN prices of Cities Skylines II on Steam for both standard edition and ultimate edition are identical to 'Valve Suggested Price' for Poland, so no, I don't think so.
Cheers from Poland.

Hello, thanks for the warning in advance. But may I know what your benchmark is? It’s just that I noticed that prices in RUB with an increase of 40 percent will still be lower than KZT prices, and you are still going to increase KZT prices. Although the purchasing power in the KZT market is less than the Russian region.

hello, about BRL, Real today is stronger than it has been for more than 3 years, and is somewhat stabilized, what explains this 30% increase? Have prices been outdated since 2018-2019?
Hello,

Our regional pricing decisions are informed by several variables; our peers and partners in the industry, as well as purchasing power parity across markets and to some extent other industries. We take all these aspects into consideration when we set our benchmarks, which we revisit and update as markets evolve over time.

Reactions:
Many thanks to the company that announced the price increase in advance, but did not raise the price for the pre-order. Thank you that your release is available in Russia, where I was happy to pre-order for such a low price.

Good thing I purchased the missing DLCs this Summer. I'm sad about JPY weakening, it's only fair to keep a balance. Just to make sure: when the tide moves back, please don't wait too long before adjusting.... ;)

Will there be a Paradox Sale prior to the announced date? If only to get the missing DLCs before the raise. And what will be the increase percentage for PEN?