• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks again. I must say I like AARs with a story and in fact was first drawn to AARs by some of the great EU sagas.

The charts were by hand, using my primitive Excel skills. I am not being modest: my way of doing a spreadsheet was to ask one of my staff to do it. Oh for the days of Lotus 1-2-3!
I suppose Pdx dropped the charts as they thought them oldfashioned, but I find them v useful in working out what is going on and how to manage my economy.

PS Remembering to note the stats at the end of each year is a bugger, but it is not too hard if you play on slow as I do. If I play any slower I will be giving daily weather reports.

While it's not quite the same, someone did create a mod that adds a ledger: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-in-game-ledger-mod.959937

2203-2206: The First Colony and the First Crisis

The Princeps had been a bit withdrawn early in the new year, spending a lot of time alone in his study. While this did make life a lot easier for those of us who must obey his every whim, it does make me nervous. What on earth was he thinking about?

It was shortly after Columba I completed its survey of the Sirius system and left for Procyon that all was revealed.

I was summoned to the inner sanctum (my description - officially it was the Princep's private office) and told to bring my tabella electronica. There would be documents to be drafted. Once formalities such as bowing etc were over, Augustus was straight into his latest plan.

1%20-%201%20office_zpsbw9rg7tf.jpg

Sometimes I feel the Princeps goes overboard in his emulation of his predecessors: his office may be authentic but it is not really functional​

"Tradition! That is what made ancient Rome strong, that is what allowed her to survive catastrophes that would have crushed another civilisation. And that is what we lack at the moment. I have decided that we need a tradition for the New Rome. Get ready to take all this down - every member of the bureaucracy and every important citizen must be aware of my decision. You can advise them all that no submission or request for state funds will be considered unless it explains how it complies with our tradition."

I looked up inquisitively.

"Ah! I have run ahead of myself. The tradition of New Rome will be expansion. Expansion to the stars, colonial expansion, expansion to the galaxy. I want you to get some historians together, find every ancient reference to expansion in Roman or Byzantine times and link it to the space program. Draw up briefing papers for my closest advisers: I want no leaks. This must not appear like a State instigated stratagem: I want an authentic tradition of Roman expansion stretching back 2,000 years."

The rest of the meeting was details. Suffice to say that the ready built tradition was accepted across Terra, and would lead to increase in volunteers for the colony ships. When building commenced that is. Immense amounts of resources would be required for ships, large enough for tens of thousands of citizens and slaves and carrying enough equipment and supplies to allow the new settlement to survive for years. Before stockpiles could be set aside approval had been granted to allow the construction of a new hydroponics plant here on Terra, further delaying the start of construction.

All this construction and focus on the economy might lead you to think that scientific advancement had been neglected. Far from it! The Castra Scientia orbiting Triton declared to be fully operational and Artifex I departed the Solar System on its way to Sirius.

The most exciting news was however here on Terra. Our research teams were working hard, and towards the end of the year, the Chief Investigators were been promoted. This encouragement helped raise enthusiasm and progress in early 2204, and soon final reports were being delivered to the Princeps and the Senate, together with recommendations for future research. Augustus wasted no time: the Senate could dither all it wanted but he ordered the scientists to proceed under his direct order.

Crassus Salazar, head of the Physics division, announced a breakthrough in Quantum Theory, allowing us to construct an up-to-date physics laboratory. He will now lead a study into Administrative Artificial Intelligence. It sounds boring, but as he enthusiastically pointed out, success will speed up all our future research. Regretfully we must defer the tempting Deflectors and Gravitic Sensors projects.

The Society division is celebrating the finalisation of the Biodiversity program. Biolabs constructed using the knowledge gained will be welcomed by all scientists involved in the area. Investigator Terencius Wang had no time to join the celebrations, as he was given the incredibly important task of reaffirming the spiritual basis of our science, by examining the meaning of symbols of unity. There had been no hesitation in selecting this project. It was a rare opportunity and studies into neural implants and planetary unification must wait.

2%20-%201%20biolab_zpstoygzbnv.jpg

A prototype Biolab: we should soon have a real one functioning, if funds and resources can be spared from the space program​

The final area of research was engineering, a vital part of our plans for the future (and as the news programs put it, part of our expansion tradition!) With the recent advances in Nanomechanics engineering facilities can be constructed to boost technological progress. Helena Grant had some hard choices to make, with attractive propositions to investigate an improved spaceport and a powered exoskeleton. There was no real argument however, not with the demands for more and more minerals for construction. She will concentrate for the time being on Geothermal Fracking, with its promise of improved mining stations.

It was not until near the end of the year that enough materials were in reserve to allow construction to start on the colony ship. It was found that Sirius was too far from Terra for construction work so it was ordered back to Alpha Centauri. Columba I was also ordered back, all the way back to Barnard's Star, the lonely solitary system behind us, on the edge of the void. Investigator Kreskov sent a message quoting the great scientific poet Lucretius as he viewed the endless empty space that stretched out, seemingly forever, beyond that last sun of our galaxy.

non habet extremum, caret ergo fine modoque.
nec refert quibus adsistas regionibus eius;
usque adeo, quem quisque locum possedit, in omnis
tantundem partis infinitum omne relinquit

"It has no final point and therefore it is free from end
Nor does it matter where you stand yourself in those regions
Nor what place you have and hold as your own
It still leaves everything around stretching forever in all directions"

It does seem that the ancients, Lucretius at least, had a good idea of the universe and its size. The analogy that Lucretius used to demonstrate infinity, of throwing a spear from the edge of space, thereby proving that something exists beyond any boundary, might be relevant. A priest casting a ceremonial javelin into enemy territory was once the method of declaring war.

Conflict was far from our thoughts however as weeks turned into months on the construction of the colony ship. Other important work was begun and completed during this period: large scale slum clearance on Terra, Alpha Centauri Fodina Metallarum and Barnard's Star Fodina Aeris. Columba I moved back to the main path to the galactic centre, finding more graffiti from our celestial scribbler on Davassa IIb and a significant find on Uproth IIa. That moon was littered with relics of what the scientists call the "Irassian Concordat". From what we can gather, these were a race of six limbed creatures, something like mammals, that lived over a million years ago. It is not clear but it seems that those who lived on this moon were fleeing from a virulent disease, the Javorian Pox.

3%20-%201%20cave%20city%20complex_zpso41flsu1.jpg

A grainy shot from space of a building on Davassa IIb: remote controlled vehicles have gathered incontrovertible evidence of a dead civilisation.​

Finally, in late 2205 the "Vesta" was loaded with its hundreds of thousands of colonists and its engines fired up as it began the slow voyage to the boundary of the Solar system. It was unfortunate that the ship was built in space, next to the spaceport. Not particularly media friendly, but the publicity officials did their best to get the populus involved. Festivities were held across the globe, doves in their millions were released. Relatives were ferried up to the spaceport to farewell those departing which provided a lot to teary news broadcasts. Above all, the calm and beneficent image of the Princeps.

Augustus took the opportunity to slip in an increase in the food stockpiles and to announce that Terra would get another power station. While the latter was good for energy production and so popular, the former will lead to a little belt tightening as food is diverted from the shops to warehouses.

Just as the Vesta entered Sirian space and idled as its engines recovered from the excesses of the CQL drive, another explosive message from Columba I dominated the news. A pre-space travel race of sentient beings had been discovered on the planet Ira'Obass in the Uproth system. They have atomic power, but are far behind us otherwise both technologically and in planetary unification. They may yet destroy themselves. Some of the more militaristic members of the Senate recommended blasting them from space and sending in the legions. More sane advice won out: we do not have the capacity to wage interstellar war. For now at least.

3%20-%202%202017_04_14_1_zpsvka2ftmk.jpg

Ira'Obass: we will study the inhabitants before deciding what to do​

It was decided that much could be gained in societal research from an observation post above the Rutherians, as they call themselves. (Extensive logs of radio and other communications have been collected, while our presence has been kept secret from the inhabitants). First however we must build a frontier post to allow operations so far from Terra.

That did not take too long for the experienced crew of Artifex I, and then they were sent back to Sirius. The founding of our first colony, Nova Roma, allowed construction of a mining station at Sirius I.

One would have thought that this tremendous news would dominate world news for weeks but it was not to be. For a few days there were wall-to-wall broadcasts of settlers on the pristine planet, but then such happy feel-good stories were wiped as though they never existed. More ominous reports had been filed by reporters monitoring official message systems.

Columba I had moved onto the Ashypso system, the farthest from Terra it had reached. To the horror of the crew and the administration here on Terra, it found that it was not the first ship from Terra to reach that far. The administration has encouraged the development of civilian space travel, mainly because it sees no role in commerce. Let the private sector set up and pay for the cargo vessels that carry supplies, minerals and energy sources back and forth across the lightyears. Some businessmen, however, have sought a faster way to wealth than simple trading or transport contract. Somehow they have acquired powerful spacecraft and armed them with nuclear missiles and have secretly set out into space on their own behalf. Sensing approaching potential enemies, Columba I had to take immediate evasive action, engaging its CQL drive to evade a fleet of at least four ships. Before it reached warp speed it managed to identify a space station hidden in the asteroid belt and to determine that the attacking ships were at least the match for our "Custodes" class corvettes.

4%20-%201%202017_04_08_3_zps5pefhxtb.jpg

A terrifying sight captured by a recon-drone: the pirate fleet attacks Columba I​

This alarming news could not be kept from the public, even if the initial reports had made that possibility almost impossible. The state is not geared for secrecy: the senators talk incessantly, the equites would sell their mothers for a deal and the slaves have no idea of discretion. Terra was in uproar. This was the first challenge to authority in over three generations. What would the Princeps do? How would he handle the most important crisis in his career?

The answer was quickly revealed: decisively.

Every business with a public communications capability was ordered to have a reporting drone present at a major announcement by the Princeps. He strode before the vidbots, resplendent in gleaming platinum armour with imperial purple flashings. His opening lines set the tone and he continued in righteous anger.

"The Roman state has never and will never tolerate the activities of pirate scum! Those of you who studied hard at school will remember your Livy. He wrote of the immense powers given to Pompey the Great to eradicate pirates who threatened the citizens of Rome as they carried out their business. The Lex Gambinia gave him proconsular powers as well as sole command of 500 ships, 120,000 infantry and 5,000 cavalry. With these he swept the seas, the islands and the shores of the Mediterranean, exterminating those who dared rob, enslave and kill. Now this "Iron Talon" gang attempt to do the same.

5%20-%202%20maxresdefault_zpsh3ro6haz.jpg

Pompey's fleet meets the pirates, flinging fiery missiles. Things have not changed much​

Well, they and their leaders can know this. The tribunes of the people have agreed that a new law will be passed today, with the agreement of the Senate. It will have the same titles as that law of long ago. The "lex de uno imperatore constra praedones instituendo" or "lex de piratis persequendis" will give the selected commander free range to do whatever is necessary to clear space of these criminals, this "Unguis Ferris" as they call themselves.

You want to know who will be given this power, who can be trusted with Classis I, our first space fleet. I present to you Senator Marcia de la Garcia of Iberia. Many of you will know her as Legata Legionis de la Garcia, a veteran of many years in the army. Others may know of her work dealing with the terrorist threats of a few years ago. She has agreed to put aside her senatorial robes and again take command of Roman soldiers. She is known as being unyielding, and that is one of the reasons she has been selected. Rome will never yield to piracy!"

He gestured to the side and the famous senator entered view, dressed in her official robes. Cue to rapturous applause and panoramic shots of huge crowds across the globe, especially her home town of Seville. The Princeps, not a tall man, towered over the diminutive figure at his side. As he passed her the official scroll authorising her authority, the crowds became even more enthusiastic, something I would not have thought possible.

6%20-%201%20Marcia_zpslbdxtp4y.jpg

Senator, now procunsul, Marcia de la Guardia clasps the official provincia giving her near ultimate power to defeat the "Iron Talon" pirates​

Then it was time for more mundane matters, such as preparing ships for combat. There were many thanks given to Fortuna that an additional corvette had been built a year or two before, and orders placed for two more. If the pirates could just wait for few months. Senator, now Proconsul de la Garcia, had everything under control, her efficiency and drive impressing even the most jaundiced bureaucrat. She would soon be in a position to take an overwhelming force to Ashypso.

Time was not something that she could control however. A spy drone left in the Ashypso system detected the pirate fleet powering up for warp drive, and from the particle trails (and other top secret indicators) it was deduced the target was the Sirius system.

That created what could only be described as panic in the top administration. On Sirius III, the newly landed colonists were at their most vulnerable. The Sirius I Fodina Metallarum was only lightly armed and armoured and there were many defenceless cargo vessels were in the area. The translux communications links were flooded with messages of alarm and pleas for help.

7%20-%201%20Mini_side_fleet_zpsyxzxfytw.jpg

Cargo ships flee the Sirius sector as the pirates approach​

Proconsul de la Garcia met with the Princeps as the crisis reached its zenith. He had asked me to attend to meeting and to my surprise I found that there were only the three of us present in his official meeting room. He introduced me to the Proconsul, something I will remember until my last days. A tiny woman, but with a look in her eyes that spoke of power, of confidence, of a certainty of purpose that must have made her soldiers devoted to her, and no doubt infuriated those who opposed her in the Senate.

I still remember that smile, the firm handshake, the measured voice. I have no idea what she said, probably formalities suitable for the occasion. It took just a few seconds for her to win me over, as she had won over so many in the past. But the Princeps was speaking.

"I have called you, Proconsul, as we must act now. You know the situation: Rome cannot allow the pirates to have their way. You must leave within hours, even though you have but four corvettes."

"That was my plan, Princeps, should it have your approval."

"That is my wish, and that of the Senate and the people's representatives. Scriptor, note that decision."

"Then that is my wish also."

At that the Princeps face changed slightly, as if he had just heard bad news. He seemed to age a little. I had not seen him look this way since the time he dedicated his prize white bull that he had reared from a calf to be sacrificed to Neptune after a severe earthquake.

"Recording off" he said in that strange voice people use when talking to room controllers. The red light over the door turned green as all recording devices, visual and audio, went dead. A glance at me and I closed my tabella.

"My dear Marcia" he said, as he took her hand. "Do you need any time to contact your family?"

"Thank you, Princeps, but I have said my farewells. The state has been generous enough to grant all members of Classis I a brief amount of translux communication time, and I need no more than my soldiers and sailors. My husband as you know has been dead these past ten years, killed in the terrorist attack on Madrid, and my children all serve the Empire, two sons in the administration, a daughter in the military and another daughter working on the spaceport as a researcher. I have spoken to them all, and now all that is to be done is to collect my travelling bag and head to the space ferry."

"You have been given a great honour, leading our first fleet in space. But with honour comes responsibility. At this critical moment in history, the future of Rome hangs in the balance. A setback to our space program could be fatal to progress. We cannot afford such a setback."

The proconsul smiled and nodded. "I understand perfectly".

"I want to be completely clear. It is not too late for you to decline the appointment. Defeat is acceptable. Rome has been defeated in the past, and will be defeated in the future. What cannot, will not, be accepted, is retreat."

He looked intently into her face, as if trying to read it, or perhaps memorise it. I remembered rumours of long ago, when he had a reputation as a bit of a playboy. Wasn't there some old story about a young politician with excellent family connections and an aspiring young centurion?

"I understand completely what Rome demands, and what is my duty. But the time for that is over. Now I must leave to join my troops."

Augustus inclined his head in silence, as if reluctant to speak. She saluted and left.

8%20-%201%20tranport_zpsuenvu0rn.jpg

The proconsul's space ferry leaves Terra on its way to her command ship, Custodes I​

I stood there for a moment as the Princeps watched the door as it closed behind her. Then he shook his head, as if to clear it. He moved to the opposite door, the one that led to his private office.

"You may leave. Tell my staff I am not to be disturbed for the rest of the day".

I bowed and left. There was nothing to say.

Last edited:
It is a time of trial.

Romans vs Pirates - surely the Romans will have the victory?? And yet I have an ominous feeling about de la Garcia and her 'unyielding' reputation. I once lost a precious fleet to that stubborn refusal to retreat...:eek:

The Battle of Sirius

Barely had Classis I engaged its CQL drive than an emergency was declared. For the first time in nearly 100 years the Roman state was under attack!

The images from Sirius I Fodina Metallarum were arresting: four advanced looking pirate ships launching wave after wave of nuclear tipped missiles at the mining station. The defenders were not completely lacking in offensive capability, but had nothing to match the number of missile launchers they faced. All they could do was rely on the armour plating that protected the vital core areas of the facility.

1%20-%201%20P%20attack%20MS_zpslzwgw2ih.jpg

A hail of missiles aimed at our mining station. Sirius IV can be seen on the left.​

The commander was not a military man: he was obviously more at home grappling with an engineering problem that an attacking pirate armada. Still, he did his best. Even as casualties increased, he kept broadcasting, providing vital details of the enemy craft that would be relayed to Proconsul de la Garcia as soon as Classis I dropped out of warp speed and entered the Sirius system. She would need all the help she could get. Although the pirates may be "scum" as the Princeps had called them, they must have the use of first class construction technology and some gifted designers. Our analysts had no doubt that the "Vagabond" class (that is what the military designated the pirate ships) was superior to our corvettes.

Many hours passed before Classis I re-entered normal space, and by then the temporary command centre set up in the palace buildings had become almost a permanent feature. The fit out slaves had worked wonders, and one could have sworn that the centre had been purpose built instead of being pieced together under trying conditions.

Tranlux communications were established with the Proconsul on Classis I and she advised that as soon as her four ships had recovered she would be powering at full speed to relieve the besieged mining station.

The Princeps spoke to her personally, to advise that a new corvette had been launched and had been ordered to follow her as fast as possible, ignoring all standard operational procedures for newly commissioned craft. Navigator Titus Abboud was its captain, a cautious man, but one under no misapprehension about the urgency of his mission.

"Ah, Titus! I remember him as an ensign from my army days. Yes, he is cautious, but I could ask for no better man to back me up. Pass on my congratulations on his first command. Now I have to go: it seems the pirates are reacting to our sudden appearance."

That was true. Even if we had not been able to see the enemy ships starting to rotate towards Classis I, we could hear from Sirius I Fodina Metallarum that the intensity of the attack had dropped. The relief in the voice of the Chief Engineer was easily detectable. His armour had held and most of his crew was still alive, even if his station was barely operable.

2%20-%201%20Classis%20I%20arrive_zps888lprag.jpg

The pirates disengage from the attack in Sirius Fodina Metallarum and turn to face the oncoming Classis I​

From now on, the mining station broadcast was used for one purpose, to get a view of the clash between the Imperial Classis and the pirate squadron.

There was not much need for tactics, though as our analysts pointed out helpfully, we had no experience of space combat on which to base such tactics. This was our first battle and every detail must be captured for study by the Imperial Collegium Bellis. Proconsul de la Garcia did insist that her subordinates coordinate their missile launches, at least when at extreme distance. We had no idea of the manoeuvrability of the Vagabond design, so to have as many missiles in flight simultaneously as possible was sensible.

Already the seriousness of the situation was clear. Individual feeds from our ships were being screened in the war room, and we could see that all the ships were taking hits, even at extreme range. As it was, in the background but clearly audible over the voice of the proconsul, we could hear the reports being delivered to the flagship.

"Custodes II, two hits, armour damage extensive, fuel bunker 8 lost."

Custodes IV, one hit, crew quarters hit, casualties high".

Marcia de la Garcia remained calm, monitoring all her ships, ordering course changes and electronic counter-measures, hoping to minimise damage and allow her ships to get closer. To her commanders and her own crew, her instructions were short, her comments positive. Only in direct communications with Terra did she reveal her concern.

"The standard of construction of the enemy vessels is surprisingly good. I had hoped that as they were built secretly that some shortcuts may been taken, some less than optimal material used. Impact studies of our missile hits show however, that damage is actually less than expected, which does not look good for us. Should it be possible after the battle, study of the debris thrown off from missile hits might be a good idea".

The Princeps, who had been present in the war room since the fleet came within range of the pirates, stood stern faced, no emotion as the proconsul all but admitted that her ships would not be the ones doing any post battle analysis.

By now, the two fleets were very close. Both had been squeezing every last bit of power out of their ion thrusters, and the distance between them had shrunk rapidly. Missile hits on ships were now constant, and on two of our corvettes damage was approaching critical.

The voice of Marcia de la Garcia was clear and steady, even above the now permanent sound of sirens and klaxons warning of battle damage.

3%20-%201%20comm%20centre_zpsrhx9ol9u.jpg

The command centre of the Custodes I: small and simple due to space constraints​

"Navigators, authority given for individual manoeuvres. Fire at will and may Fortuna ride with you".

The pirates had already broken formation, each ship attempting to approach one of our corvettes from the vulnerable rear, where the armour was less solid due to the need for the exhausts of the ion thrusters.

Then a groan. I looked over: one bank of screens had gone blank. I had barely grasped that I had just seen the destruction of a ship and its crew when the adjoining bank of screens also died.

4%20-%201%20Debris_zpszhpf1tae.jpg

All that remains of Custodes IV​

The the war room was silent, the only noise the audio from Custodes I.

"Damage report please Navigator Chang."

A voice could be heard replying, though the static made it hard to understand and there was incredible background noise. We could hear clearly hear explosions though whether they were on the flagship or the other surviving corvette was hard to tell.

"Armour failing. Unfortunately damage control parties report internal fires cannot be controlled. Estimate that the fires will reach the warp drive engines in less than five minutes."

"Evacuate your ship Navigator. We will attempt to collect survivors".

A high pitched warbling could be heard as the "Take to lifepods" alert was raised.

The proconsul continued to speak. "Terra base: missile attacks have decreased: at least one enemy craft appears immobilised and another is definitely out of action. We are moving to engage the last two pirate ships."

There was a pause.

"Men and women of Custodes I. Our comrades and Rome rely on us. We cannot let them down."

There were a few stifled sobs in the war room as we heard cheers from the crew of the doomed ship.

"Terra base: this will be our last message. As the gladiators used to say, Ave Princeps, nos morituri te salutamus."

The view from the mining station showed Custodes I accelerating towards an enemy ship, just as the other corvette exploded in a soundless maelstrom of light and dark. Streams of missiles converged on the flagship as she rocked under the impact of nuclear strikes. Then there was a ripple of flashes along the length of the ship. As the last light faded, Custodes I started to drift off course. A few more missiles landed, but there was no point. Tumbling aimlessly through space, it was clear that nobody was alive to control the last of our fleet.

5%20-%201%20end%20of%20Battle%20I_zpszwsmvdah.jpg

The battle summary: Classis I was horribly outgunned​

A stunned silence had taken hold of the war room. Nobody moved, nobody even looked at another person. Time passed at a crawl until a screeching sound battered our ears, the sound of an audio translux communication distorted by a fading CQL field.

"Custodes V to Custodes I, this is Navigator Titus Abboud. Have just emerged in Sirius system. Awaiting orders."

Still nobody moved, and it was up to the junior communication officer to respond. "Custodes V, Navigator Abboud, this is Terra Base. You are now the ranking officer in the Sirius sector."

There was a pause as the message was digested.

"Understood, Terra Base. I have identified two hostile craft at some distance. Am moving towards them and will attack as soon as in range."

Every face turned towards Augustus, still immobile and ashen faced. He straightened his back and pulled back his shoulders, the better to assume the burden of power.

"How should we respond Princeps? That is our last combat capable space craft." A nervous comms officer waited for a reply.

"I was told recently by the best and bravest soldier I have known in my life that she could wish no better man at her back than Titus Abboud. I have never met the man, but that is all the assurance I require. He is the man on the scene, his decisions will be obeyed."

The comms officer activated his throat mike. "Proceed as you see fit Navigator."

Tension was back in the war room. Several screens showed the view from Sirius I Fodina Metallarum, the enemy ships growing larger as they approached to finish off the mining facility. Occasionally small burst of light could be seen near the ships, confusing everyone. There was a roar of anger when someone suggested that short range lasers were being used to destroy lifepods.

The roar subsided to a low muttering as the lasers were stilled, not from consideration of our stranded soldiers and sailors, but because the pirates had become aware of Custodes V diving in from the edge of the system.

All audio other than the voice link to Custodes V was shut down, I don't know by whom. Everyone in the room was concentrating on listening, though some were also clasping lucky charms or making invocations to whatever god they thought might intercede.

"Missile battery commanders - every shot must count. Manually control as many missiles as possible. Analysis of the earlier battle data downloads suggests the enemy has better counter-electronics than we thought. Fire on my command. Your targets have been selected."

"Enemy missiles incoming".

"Damage details move to stations. Seal all internal doors. Activate lifepod launchers. Launch distractor drones."

6%20-%201%20nuke%20ready_zpse2qz17t6.jpg

A nuclear missile waits as the launch doors are opened to space​

"Fire salvo 1. Fire salvo 2".

"Hits recorded. Armour holding. No damage".

"Increase speed, manoeuvre program 622 implemented. I repeat, manoeuvre 622. Compensate all missile launchers. Fire salvo 1. Fire salvo 2."

"Heavy casualties reported from secondary power station 2."

"Power station 2. Oxygen shut off in 10 seconds. Evacuate. Evacuate now. 5, 4, 3, 2,1. Cut off oxygen. Blast connector bolts. Detach section 12."

We watched as a sizeable chunk of the corvette spiralled away. I thought I could see tiny bodies tumble from the gaping holes where multiple missile strikes had smashed their way through the armour, but I must have been imagining it. Nobody likes to jettison a part of a spacecraft, but numerous simulations had shown it to save more lives that it costs.

Then a muffled cheer, followed by the passionless voice of the Navigator.

"Target Alpha eliminated, all missile commanders manually fire at will."

The pirates were not cowards, but the damage their ships had sustained from the mining station and the battle with Classis I was too much for courage alone to overcome. It was only a matter of time. Custodes V was hit several more times, but its armour protected the core areas from damage, while the sole surviving pirate ship was rocked by tremors as power cells and ammunition storage areas succumbed to raging fires fed by broken air pipes. Finally a series of explosions caused the ship to literally break in half.

7%20-%201%20corvette_zpsew7iy7gy.jpg

The last pirate ship splits in two, escaping air fuelling brief fires​

A few more of our missiles were sent in, just in case. Pirates, like snakes, are not really dead until they smell. It was not a trick, however, and the next order from the navigator was short and to the point. Collect any life pods and prepare to return to Terra for repairs, hospitalisation and, for any pirates still alive, whatever punishment the Princeps saw fit.

One might have expected delight and congratulation in the war room, but the memory of the loss of Classis I was too raw to be forgotten. There was uncertainty as to whether to rejoice or to mourn.

Augustus spoke with an authority that showed that whatever emotions he felt were contained by his responsibility to set an example.

"When Navigator Abboud and his crew arrive back they will be given a triumphal parade, as if he were a consul and they a victorious army. Until then there will be no official celebration. Instead there will be a period of mourning for the passing of a hero of Rome. Scriptor, prepare a proclamation to be sent to all cities, including the settlement in Sirius, Nova Roma."

"In addition, in my capacity as Pontifex Maximus, I declare that Marcia de la Garcia will join the pantheon of heroes and will have a temple dedicated to her in Nova Roma, where she will remembered as the founding mother of the colony."

10%20-%201%20Athena_zpskqqgmxox.jpg

A statue of Marcia Imperatrix was later raised in the centre of the forum of Nova Roma, guarding the city for infinity​

"In my role as chief justice, I sentence all pirates captured to life slavery, to serve that time in nuclear contamination clearing in those regions still unsafe after the last war. There are times where I wish that like Crassus during the Third Servile War I could line the Appian Way with the guilty. The Iron Talon gang and all pirates are named as enemies of the state and it is the duty of all Romans, citizen or slave, to kill them on sight".

9%20-%201%20spartacuscrosses_zpszkyqka4j.jpg

We were less civilised in 71BCE, but the veneer is paper thin​

He paused then spoke to the palace computer.

"Domus! At this time every day you will remind me by audio of the Iron Talon, whatever room I am in, whatever I am doing. This is a total override command and will remain in force until the pirate den is destroyed and this abomination against Rome is eliminated."

The first space battle of the Imperium Universalium Romanorum was over, but not forgotten.

A tough fight, but the Romans are used to tough fights.

Well, is the entire galaxy bound to use hyperdrives or is it random?

Hardship makes for the greater story. If it helps then as of 1.5, a lot of AI nations will not close off borders, so it's not such a huge problem.

In any case it's a fine setup. Civics are flavorful but not necessarily something I would use in game (army damage can be solved by bringing more cannon fodder, Governor costs isn't such a huge issue). However, I can't imagine Space Romans without warrior culture and for the aristocratic elite... eh, it was either that or cutthroat politics, no?

The combination with resilient, however, means that with a defensive garrison on top of the regulars, your planets will be hell for the enemy factions to actually conquer by fighting for them, forcing them to either attempt an extremely difficult landing, or move on and leave vulnerable ships in orbit bombarding the planet below.

In other words, it doesn't matter how many planets space Hannibal puts under siege if he can't take control of the planet without dividing his forces.

I bow to your greater knowledge: I must admit that I didn't even consider the game impacts of the traits etc: I just wanted something that said "Roman". As long as it doesn't doom me to extinction in 20 years, I'll soldier on. Good to hear my soldiers will fight to the end.

EDIT: (and spoiler). the next race I bumped into has a worm hole. I assume that means they use that rather than warp travel.

I really enjoy reading this, so consider me subbed. Regarding possible future conflicts and conquests, are you planning on enslaving the conquered or will they have a chance of becoming true roman citizens?

To be honest, I haven't thought that far ahead. (I have to conquer someone first). I have assumed that we will enslave some, at least initially. But universal citizenship was one of the most striking things introduced by Rome, so it is on the cards.

I mean, at least some of the xenos will have to serve the Romans space grapes, no?

It depends on where he takes it. The Roman empire did enjoy its "prop up the ruling class to act on our behalf" methods, but they also treated them as subordinate auxiliary units in war until the late period.

I know that some slaves were used in the army after Cannae, and I think Augustus offered freedom to some slaves who would fight for him (I would have to look it up but I am pretty sure Suetonius mentions it in the "Lives". So I have a precedent.

That's exactly why I'm asking. You could argue either way for complete slavery, full citizenship or any mix in between.

Go for the mix, at least to start with. As always, I will play by ear. Sometimes the narrative takes me to gameplay I would not otherwise contemplate.

While it's not quite the same, someone did create a mod that adds a ledger: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-in-game-ledger-mod.959937

It doesn't take me long to do, and while it takes some time, it does force me to consider economics.

It is a time of trial.

As a newcomer to the game, every year is a time of trial. I seriously have no idea what to expect.

Who knew there would also be romance! :O

Not a lot of romance to come I'm afraid.

Romans vs Pirates - surely the Romans will have the victory?? And yet I have an ominous feeling about de la Garcia and her 'unyielding' reputation. I once lost a precious fleet to that stubborn refusal to retreat...:eek:

I have to learn the hard way. She was expendable.

I gave her a nice statue - what more could I do?

A tough fight, but the Romans are used to tough fights.

I fear there may be many more in the future.

Nail-biting stuff! Well, let's hope the Roman military have learned some useful lessons from this first space encounter.

See above: it is me that has to learn, and I have found to my sorrow that defeat is the best instructor.

2207 to 2210: Return to Expansion

In the excitement and confusion over the attack on Sirius III Fodina Metallarum, a decision had been made that a frontier outpost should be constructed in the Uproth system. This marked a new stage in our expansion into space, a projection of our authority many light years beyond the Terra. Expensive to build and to run, but essential to allow us to build and perhaps colonise further into space.

Even while fighting raged in the Sirius sector, the empire continued its exploration. In fact, one of the most important discoveries to date was made in the Izval system. Originally it was not recognised as particularly significant, just a mention by Columba I that it had detected a fast moving object in orbit around the star. Investigator Krutov warned that the risk of investigating further was considerable, about 20%, but urged that he be allowed to continue. Permission was granted and Columba I dropped into a matching orbit to study the object. To the astonishment of all, it was found to be a ceramic container. There was a push from some of the more religious members of the Senate that we simply accept this as a celestial message from the gods, but the desire for knowledge triumphed. Columba I was ordered to complete the survey of the Izval system and to then return to solve the mystery.

On Terra scientific progress was also being made. Investigator Grant and her team had worked rapidly on the Geothermal Fracking project and, as a spin-off, an improved Mining Network facility had been designed. When resources allowed, we could renovate existing facilities to improve energy production. There were several propositions to consider, including Fission Missiles and the proposed Ion Thruster. Although those two projects were tempting, our experience in the Battle of Sirius was decisive. Our corvettes had suffered as their armour was degraded faster than that of our enemies. Approval was granted to an investigation of Nanocomposite Materials. That Helena Grant had done her Ph.D on materials was an added bonus.

Not long into 2208 our frontier outpost was complete and we could declare that the Imperium Universalis Romanorum was a reality. Artifex I, its job done, moved onto Uproth I to exploit its rich mineral deposits, but on Terra the event raised enthusiasm for space travel and expansion. It was just the moment to adopt a new tradition, Colonisation Fever. An increased sense of Unity would allow faster adoption of new traditions, something dear to the Princep's heart. He sees these traditions as vital to the growth of the state.

1%20-%201%202017_04_10_1_zpssa9minp2.jpg

Uproth Frontier Post: extending our empire​

Perhaps it was coincidence that only days later that the first chapter of our expansion into space could be said to have ended. Alien space vessels were detected in the Sirius sector. For now these beings are being called the "Delta Aliens", but all assets in the region have been instructed to find out as much as possible about these potential allies or enemies.

It was with some relief that we heard from the new governor of Nova Roma that the colony had been successfully established. The sacrifice of Classis I had protected the extremely vulnerable stage when the colony ship had been in orbit above the planet, ferrying colonists and supplies to the surface. Now governor Alma Dodamani enough infrastructure had been built to allow the ship to land and be cannibalised for parts and materials. It would be some years before the colony was fully functional, but at least it was self sufficient.

There was almost as much relief when the first freighters from Uproth I Fodina Metallarum started to berth at the Terra Castellum Coelis. Demand for minerals has been skyrocketing as the needs of Artifex I competed with rebuilding of the fleet. With the commissioning of the fourth corvette, Classis II was considered strong enough for now, and the luxury of building an observation post over Ira'Obass could be permitted. A study of the Rutherian society would benefit our scientific knowledge greatly.

It was now clear that we needed to improve that level of knowledge as quickly as possible. Reports from Sirius had been amalgamated and interpreted and it was evident that we had encountered another space going race that also had plans for expansion. The Great Aztani Commonwealth was a military junta with hegemonic imperialist tendencies. Contact had been made with a spokesperson, Archon Schuma. They are not human, not even humanoid. Close examination of the visuals indicates that they are some sort of mollusc, which seems incredible. An intelligent cuttlefish? All those involved in contact have been warned not to mention that cephalopods are a vital part of our culinary tradition.

Putting aside the initial shock of communicating with a cuttlefish, or perhaps an octopus or squid, some dialogue took place. We expressed our pleasure that we shared the same divine heritage. No point in antagonising anyone needlessly. That was later found to be wise. The Aztani have a sort of CQL drive and as far as we can discover they are more advanced than we are technologically. We need to be cautious: we are not in any position to fight a space war against an empire. The cost of the battle of Sirius, where we faced a few pirates, showed us that we had far to go to be a force in space. The existence of the Iron Talon base in the Ashypso system was a constant reminder of our impotence.

2%20-%201%202017_04_10_3_zpsxyv5fkoz.jpg

We are not alone: the Aztani are our close neighbours​

To boost scientific research, construction of another Columba class ship was approved. (Columba I will be tied up for some time trying to solve the mystery of the ceramic object orbiting Izval.) Thanks to Investigator Crassus Salazar there was an immediate improvement in the effectiveness of our scientific activities. His project, into the use of administrative AI, will give an estimated 5% lift in output. Regretfully, interesting studies into AI controlled colony ships and fusion reactors had to be shelved for now, as all personnel and funds were directed into Field Modulation. An improved power plant design was vital as energy consumption throughout the empire was expanding at a frightening rate.

Mens September saw the Columba II take off on her first mission, Investigator Aurora Huang in command. She has already shown herself to be an adaptable scientist which is helpful as her first task is to analyse some of the debris left after the Battle of Sirius. Not much else of note occurred in the rest of 2208. Construction of a combined gas/metal mining facility begun near the moon Uproth IVa after a mining station was completed above Uproth IV. Uproth III was flagged for the next operation.

3%20-%201%20space%20junk_l_zps9u1zewvq.jpg

Debris from the battle could prove to contain valuable scientific insights​

By then Navigator Huang could report the success of her first mission. the first debris field in the Sirius system yielded important hints for the design of deflectors, nanocomposite material and after burners, and some basic physics and engineering discoveries were made. She took Colomba II on to see if the other debris also contained valuable scientific information. (Similar results came from that investigation).

There had been some discussions around the palace about the most appropriate way of dealing with the Azani. Throughout history Rome has agonised over its relations with its neighbours. As the more militaristic pointed out, it always ended in war. Those of a more spiritual bent argued that we must at least try an alternative, but they could not deny the facts.

Princeps Augustus met with groups of senators and influential businessmen, but it was the military commanders who had the most influence. They were reluctant to do anything to antagonise an enemy whose power and numbers were unknown. Until we could determine the likelihood of success it would be criminal to risk the Empire out of pride. That led to our first interstellar diplomatic mission. We had intended to trade or at least exchange ideas, but to our consternation we found we had virtually nothing of interest to the Azani. As far as we could determine, they were ahead of us scientifically and their military power was at least equivalent. Frighteningly, they were fanatically militarist, authoritarian and ran an efficient police state. Our diplomats hastily offered a package of stellar maps and departed.

5%20-%201%20Azani_zps6w12hsqj.jpg

Our meeting with Archon Schuma did not go as we hoped​

At least we had finalised studies into the Symbol of Unity. Our society can develop traditions more quickly should we invest in building facilities on each planet to educate the population. There was a strong argument that our Societal scientists should look into Space Combat or Centralised Command, but the economists won. Our colony in Sirius would need special help to clear that planet for agriculture and other developments. Selective defoliants would greatly assist growth.

More mining stations were completed, slums on Terra cleared, Columba II set of the Baltris system further along the spiral galaxy arm than we have ever been.

4%20-%201%20favela_zpsphjvhenn.jpg

We must provide better housing for our population and allow more development of Terra​

After more than a year of dedicated experimentation and investigation, a final report was received from Marcus Krutov in the Izval system. The ceramic object is a sacred relic, but it is also a scientific marvel. It contains information in energy form, and provided incredible insights which will markedly increase the effectiveness of our scientific studies for the next five years. There was an additional message from Columba I though, one which was a little more disturbing. Signs of another alien race, for now called the "Epsilon aliens", were detected and Investigator Wang had to postpone his work in the defoliant project as all his staff were needed to follow up the evidence collected.

As instructed, the Princeps had been reminded daily of the ulcer of the Iron Talon pirates. Classis II had been waiting patiently and early in 2210 Praefectus Classis Titus Abboud and his four corvettes had been despatched to the Ashypso system. There had been a call for more ships to be built but construction had been held back, pending the completion of the nanocomposite research project. A new design would form the basis of a larger fleet.

When Praefectus Abboud arrived at his destination he made an assessment of the strength of the pirate fortified base. His recommendation was that no attack be made until the fleet was increased to at least six corvettes. Otherwise he could not guarantee that there would not be more ships lost.

6%20-%201%20pirates_zpstvvkmb1a.jpg

The Iron Talon base: more firepower will be needed to reduce our losses​

This created consternation in the Senate, and calls for him to be recalled and tried for cowardice in the face of the enemy. (Decimation is no longer a punishment for that crime, but anyone convicted of the offence still faces death or exile. Where that exile might be now that Rome controls all Terra has never been explained). Fortunately sense prevailed, with the more rational senators pointing to the undoubted bravery of then Navigator Abboud at the Battle of Sirius. An overwhelming vote of the Senate voted for two more ships to be built and sent to reinforce the fleet. Until then Classis II would remain in the Ashypso system to make sure that the Iron Talon gang remained confined to its base.

That would take some months: as the Princeps pointed out, patience is the primary trait needed for space combat. There was no risk of anyone getting bored however. Investigator Wang completed his study of the Epsilon aliens, which led to communications being established with another race. If our diplomats struggled to deal with cephalopods, how will they handle sentient plants? For that is what they are, the Divine Queptillian Tribunal. Fanatic spiritualists, authoritarian and ruled by an oligarchy with an exalted priesthood. If we have interpreted the data correctly, they have another species enslaved. Friendly overtures have been made to their representative, the High Inquisitor Burgundy Pod. We must be polite: these plants are not only ahead of us technologically, but they are far more numerous. Yet their existence does pose a problem as they occupy the region directly in our way along the spiral arm of the galaxy.

To address, at least partially, the issue of border protection, Artifex I was sent to build a frontier post in the Baltris system. Columba I was ordered to survey the Ijax system, well within the borders of the Tribunal. We have been assured that such scientific expeditions will not be taken as a threat by the plantoids.

By the end of the year, Praefectus Abboud had his additional two ships and he was ready to attack. It was not a very exciting battle, but then we had had enough excitement with the Battle of Sirius. Our fleet moved on the enemy base, long range missile attacks pounding it from a distance. Defensive fire was surprisingly effective, but from close up our vastly greater number of missile launch tubes overwhelmed the armoured hull of the pirate stronghold. the end was fairly quick, even if the pirates fought to the end, knowing what lay ahead for any who surrendered. The caution shown by the praefectus was shown to be well warranted, as all six corvettes sustained heavy damage. Classis II has been recalled to Terra for repairs, while Columba II has been diverted from its planned survey of the Assasiz system to Ashyso. Scanners have shown that a strongbox module has survived the destruction of the enemy base and investigation should prove useful.

7%20-%201%20pirates%202_zpst0daplry.jpg

The methodical destruction of the Iron Talon gang​

With justice served, we could return to more peaceful activities. It would take some time to build up resources for another colony ship but there were no other distractions.

8%20-%201%20big_zpsnmfvzuyz.jpg

9%20-%201%20small_zpsdn1qyzod.jpg

Last edited:
Things are starting to establish themselves, the first wobbly steps becoming firmer

Devastating! Incredible! Are you a published author? If not, you should be.

The first word is from the latin vasto, "I lay waste" which is perhaps appropriate for a Romans in Space novella. The second is from credo, "I believe". So unable to be believed is probably more appropriate.

No, I am not a published author, though I have often thought about it. In fact, I have recently written a few chapters of a book, but writing is hard work.

Subbed, and may Minerva offer her wisdom to the space Romans.

It is me that needs the wisdom. My characters rely on their native cunning and bloodthirstiness. Except those I decide are expendable of course.

Things are starting to establish themselves, the first wobbly steps becoming firmer

"Wobbly steps"? That is for toddlers. My empire is still trying to learn how to put a thumb in its mouth.

Good working removing those pirates. They cannot be allowed to exist in Roman space.

I2211 - 2216: Hemmed in

After the elimination of the pirates of Ashypso, there was six months of calm. Work continued on existing projects and the analysis of the pirate base debris proved useful in increasing basic knowledge of engineering and physics as well as specific details of active countermeasures. A new corvette design was accepted by the Imperial Navy, one that incorporated our new nanocomposite armour. It will be known as the "Scutum". Otherwise, nothing notable occurred.

By mens Iunius, conditions were stable enough for another vast investment in a colony ship. The proposed target: Alpha Centauri I. Not as attractive as a Nova Roma, but still a suitable planet for colonisation. We must keep expanding our borders because the latest of our neighbours discovered, the Divine Queptilium Tribunal, are also in an expansionist mood. A scientific investigation ship has been located in the Ashypso system, scene of the recent fighting. Although the military expressed concern at what they saw as tantamount to an invasion, several scientists expressed concern about the means of arrival: it appears that Queptilium do not use some sort of CQL drive but something that is being called "worm-hole" travel. We have no idea how this works, which is worrying.

1%20-%201%20DQT%20ship_zpsfodtb4td.jpg

An alien exploration ship within our borders​

To show that Romans are also capable of intruding across borders, Columba II left for the Mareid system, an opportunity for Investigator Huang to display her increased capability after her promotion. Shortly after, Columba I was sent to Tianat, even deeper in Queptilium territory. It is becoming clear that our expansion plans must be revised: we are cut off from the galaxy by our neighbours.

2%20-%201%20Borders_zps1dgtsxza.jpg

Blocked in: space is more crowded than we had anticipated​

Nova Roma took a first step to becoming a real contributor to the empire, completing a basic hydroponic plant. Terra cleared some of its slums and our physics research team has come up with an improved power plant design, a spin off from its Field Modulation project. (Newly promoted Governor Cassius Fujita wasted no time: an existing power plant is to be upgraded immediately). As a result of the poor performance of the "Custodes" class of corvettes, research was directed towards the development of a specialised combat computer that can take over basic combat roles.

It has turned out that not only are space travelling species not as rare as we thought, but nor are inhabited planets. The planet the Queptiliums call Qeni-Efigurth has been discovered to have a civilisation that is in an early space age. Primitive satellites orbit above the T'jell civilisation which, as far as we can tell, is approaching global government. Those discoveries led to another promotion for Investigator Krestov.

3%20-%201%20vanguard_zps5tabj9qj.jpg

Unbelievably primitive, but evidence of the first steps toward space travel​

As we approached the end of 2212, three events marked a significant point in the growth of the Empire. The first was the completion of our frontier outpost in the Baltris system. By extending our borders to the edge of Queptillium space, this allowed Artifex I to begin to exploit the mineral resources of Baltris III. The second event was the launch of our second colony ship, off to Alpha Centauri. The third, less obvious but just as important, was the completion of our "Habitable World" program and the establishment of a Museum of Exobiology. That gave us a lift in both the study of both society and engineering, and may have instigated the promotion of our three Terra based investigators.

After%20outpost_zpsu6hb3srm.jpg

Expanded borders after we complete another frontier outpost: have we reached our limit?​

Early in the new year, the Princeps called a select group of patricians and equites together. The people were represented by their tribunes. As part of my role as praepositus ab epistulis it was my responsibility to ensure the proceedings were properly recorded, something I choose to do in person. Augustus began by congratulating all on progress to date. Our second space colonisation was well underway, we had defeated the pirate threat and production of minerals was growing satisfactorily. We could not, however, rest on our laurels. There were problems on the horizon, problems that must be addressed now. When examined closely, all these problems could be seen to be subsets of one major issue.

For example, while power needs were being met, growth in power resources was only matching the increase in demand. Few unexploited resources remained in our region of space. The reason for our problem was that we had no further room for expansion. Our route to more potential power sources was blocked. A similar situation existed for future colonisation plans. A couple of suitable planets remained nearby, but nothing like the two worlds already settled. From a scientific point of view, a lack of interesting natural features hindered research, especially in the important realm of physics.

Many present had an immediate solution: the Roman way. Attack and conquer. Those of a more spiritual bent were horrified, as were those with extensive trading interests. More importantly, the Princeps and many senior members of the group were dubious.

5%20-%201%20senate_zpsppakxjpr.jpg

Augustus Novus, in formal dress, speaks at the meeting in the Senate house.​

"Nobody" the Princeps declared "Is more in favour of direct action than I. When thwarted, it is my immediate reaction to arm myself and remove whatever blocks my way. But as the custodian of Rome, it is my duty to consider the effects of such actions. I must temper my emotions with caution. And in this case, caution advises that we pause. Our investigators warn that our neighbours are strong in numbers, have more space ships than we possess and, most alarmingly, are more advanced technologically. We must face facts: were we to begin hostilities we would more than likely be defeated."

There was consternation at these words. A few of the younger members of the group yelled "Shame" and one particularly reckless young man had the temerity to shout "Coward". As instructed, I noted their names. They would be watched closely in the future.

Augustus stood impassively for almost a minute before he raised his hand for silence.

"Do not think that I fear our neighbours. A Roman may not feel fear, but he may feel respect. I respect the strength of their fleets and the level of their knowledge. Before we can challenge them, we must work to increase both our navy and our scientific research.

It will be the strategy of the Imperium Universalis Romanorum to increase both our industrial and scientific strength before we take any steps to antagonise our neighbours. We will restrain our natural impulse to express our superiority. We will negotiate, not dictate. We will sometimes give way, even though such behaviour is abhorrent to us. And all the time we will be growing in strength and knowledge.

Hundreds of years ago, during one of the many periods of warfare that preceded the Treaty of Bucharest, the forces of Britannia, a province of Rome, had a motto for their air forces. It may be ancient, but it is still relevant for today. Our motto for now will be "Per ardua ad astra".

4%20-%201%20royal_airforce_badge_zpsnityzdv1.jpg

The ancient motto: hard work is required to reach the stars​

If he had hoped for cheers the Princeps was disappointed. Polite applause was the best, with a few mutters. It didn't really matter. The policy of Rome had been stated, and there was nobody present prepared to question it.

The first signs of the new policy were fairly small. Another constructor ship was ordered, the Artifex II. Its primary role will be to build Castra Scientia over planets that our investigators find "interesting". The ships of Classis II have been upgraded to "Scutum" class. There is no immediate threat, but it is wise to be prepared.

Investigator Wang has benefitted from an extensive network of research bases concentrating on societal issues. His team was able to work rapidly to develop selective defoliants able to clear the most impenetrable jungles we may encounter. Their next project could not have been more different. Neural implants should allow us to make our slaves more content, even to the extent of creating slave armies to fight for the Empire. Slave processing facilities would increase productivity. Alternative projects such as ocean ecology management and xenology had no chance of success against such a dream of the future.

6%20-%201%20jungle_zpslp8m4gbc.jpg

The almost impenetrable jungles of Sirius III, now the home of Nova Roma, need selective defoliants to be cleared effectively​

Slave discontent was a growing problem on Nova Roma but it was quickly suppressed by the raising of a defence army at the colony. There was another potential source of political dissension however, one that was not as easily addressed. Investigator Terencius Wang, one of the most well known people on Terra, has formed a faction of prominent citizens. This faction, the Orderly Society Coalition, supports extreme centralisation and the growth of political and military power. There seemed little to be worried about: our hereditary leadership and stratified society are exactly what the Coalition desires.

Our scientific scout ships continued their penetration of Queptilium space, carefully collating information about the stars and planets discovered. (Investigator Huang achieved another promotion as a result of her activities). It is now certain that caution in our dealings with the plant empire was wise. They have a large and well developed economy, well able to support a large military. Our own economic and scientific development continued rapidly, with mining networks and power plants on Terra upgraded to the latest designs.

The involvement of Investigator Wang in politics has not affected his scientific output. Before the end of 2216 he completed the neural implants project and was able to start studying ways to assist our galactic ambitions. His timing however was not the best, as Investigator Helena Grant's development of a new spaceport design seized the public imagination. A much larger spaceport, with the possibility of corvette assembly yards, was far more interesting to the public than some secretive method of controlling slaves. Investigator Grant faced a hard decision in selecting her next project. The temptation of a larger warship, a space destroyer, was strong, but it was a long term project and it was felt that working towards an ion thruster for our existing ships was more worthwhile.

7%20-%201%20neural%20implant_zpsb7l34cm8.jpg

One of the early experiments in neural implants​

Overall, the Princeps and his advisers were satisfied with progress achieved up to the end of 2217. That Nova Roma could finally dispense with the ship shelter that had served as its centre of administration for the past year or so was another sign of the period of consolidation. The new planetary administration building would have a huge impact, even if it would take literally years to complete. Preparing to expand our borders might take longer.

Last edited:
Ill fortune to be so hemmed in.

How bad are the ocean/tropical planets that building two frontier outposts is preferable?

What of the T'jell - will they simply be allowed to take to the stars before they're culled?

Have both empires closed their borders to you?

Good working removing those pirates. They cannot be allowed to exist in Roman space.

On the other hand, they were not too hard to deal with. I am sure things will get far worse.

Ill fortune to be so hemmed in.

As long as I keep on the good side of the planetoids I should be OK. There seem to be a lot of people in my neck of the woods, and they all seem pretty strong.

How bad are the ocean/tropical planets that building two frontier outposts is preferable?

What of the T'jell - will they simply be allowed to take to the stars before they're culled?

Have both empires closed their borders to you?

I have potential sites for colonies on Uproth IV (Tropical) and Uquallon III (Ocean). Both are 60% habitable, but the former is only size 10 while the latter is size 19. As will be revealed in the next update, colonisation of Uquallon III is underway. Once established, that will allow the removal of the frontier post in the Baltris system. I must admit I don't know when a colony gets a territorial zone: is it the moment the colonisation begins? Or after the colonists are all on the planet? When it gets to Pop 5? Or only when the planetary administration building is complete? I am playing safe in leaving the frontier post until the colony is well established.

At the moment I have just two frontier outposts, the one on Baltris and the one on Bazzanac. Bazzanac is on the far side of the Queptillian Empire, where I haven't found a habitable planet. I need to get a bridgehead and don't know any other way. The one on Baltris was built when I became aware of the presence of the Quentilians: it was a short term solution pending later colonisation. I didn't know if the Queptillian's would hurry to grab the border territories so I rushed to do it first.

EDIT: my mistake: I forgot the one on Uproth. That was built earlier when I was busy colonising elsewhere. From memory I had Energy issues and could not afford to do anything but secure ownership. That outpost will also go as soon as I am sure the area it covers is taken up by colonies. I haven't yet worked out how to judge how far a colony's zone extends. I assume it is related to number of pops but can't be sure. Does building a spaceport extend borders? All is to be discovered. Until then, I must keep the outposts: decommissioning is so final.

I can't do anything about the T'Jell: they are in the Mareid system which is inside the Queptillian region. Or can I do something? I don't think so, and I definitely don't want to annoy the plantoids as they are way too powerful for me. Or did you mean the Rutharians on Ira'Obass? Unfortunately they have self destructed in an atomic war. (Upcoming post). The "unfortunately" is because they have left their nice planet as a Tomb World. I am still learning this game so I thought it best to watch them for a while until I got a bit more settled. No more combat than needed for expansion, and preferably no combat with unknown consequences. Otherwise this could be a very short AAR.

No closed borders at the moment, but I cannot travel "south": my ships don't have the range. I am already on the far side of the Queptillians and am on good terms.

Last edited: