• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Naisho

Second Lieutenant
91 Badges
Oct 11, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Age of Wonders III
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Victoria 2
This is my second attempt at an AAR. I had this idea some time ago but seeing the work of Chilango2 with this narrative approach and his organization of posts. I thought it would be fun to tell a story not from moment to moment with me choosing every option for my benefit but of characters deciding the fate of Russia even if I preferred otherwise.

The original inspiration for this AAR came from learning about Alexander I of Russia. How Alexander kept multiple ideas of himself in coherence at the same time while baffling everybody else. He was pro-liberty and reform but also pro-monarchist and Russia as it currently exists. He was for diplomacy but would often throw the fact he was of higher authority against those he dealt with. Everything was at odds and drove everybody nuts. These opposing facades towards Russia, its goals, and its own people placed an idea in my head. What would happen if the Tzars of all of the 19th century were just as capriciously arbitrary as him? What might have happened if Tzar Nikolas had a moment that drove him to seek reforms trying to prevent a ghost?

I have written down a set of decision trees about the various IGs and what is important to them based on their positions as dictated in the game. Not every little thing will be written down but I will try to capture a mood within Russia of people fearing a distant future and wondering what to do. As so often is true of us the right answer isn't clear for people living in the moment.

I will attempt to post a chapter here and there as I have time and write out the narrative.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey all, Mr. Stealth edit here!

I added discord posts of the uncut adventures. While nothing spectacular as of yet there will be pictures of events and characters and things that I would not normally bring here for the forum posts. Think of it as the behind-the-scenes stuff. Because not everything (a war against who knows what) may be actually interesting or particularly important enough for me to narratively write it into the story as centerpiece stuff.

Enjoy such things as previews of coming narrative openings and lots of pictures. (if I have time)

Last edited:
Chapter 1: Nightmare

A Nightmare:

The rain beat against the window with the howling of the night as a lone figure tossed and turned in a lone bed. With a gasp then a shout cried out and the screams of terror split the night.

Click, click, clack came the sound of a dress shoe as it moved across a rather long hall. An older man of the house who has done his job dutifully. Dust to be cleaned there, furniture to be decorated there. Demitri knew it all as a man of his position. But this night felt darker, colder, and wetter than most he had ever known. Having left to do his rounds as he had always done. When a sudden noise came a blood-curdling noise a man could hear. Demitri ran as hard as his wised body could take him to the hall. Like a bees nest that had been kicked the palace came to life. Servants and soldiers rushed every which way. Guests poked their heads with nightgowns on out to catch servants to ask what had happened.

Suddenly, all the focus came at once to the Tzar’s private room. Servants and guards stood fearfully nearby afraid to open the door. Many an eye turned towards the approaching Demitri.
“What has happened?” came out a tired voice.
The question hung in the air and soon turned stale. The old man picking up his stride took firm the latch to the bed chamber of the Tzar turning it and going inside, he slide the door closed behind him.

There he saw a weak-looking figure of a man huddled against the bedpost. The man before him, an emperor in title, name, and ancestral legacy looked hollow. “Call my council together to be gathered by 10 this morning” came a stricken voice, “we have much to discuss.”

The morning had come but no more cheerful than the night. Eight figures slowly filtered into the room making conversation about what might have been meant by the summons. They filtered in and in turn, asked why and then followed by that they didn't know. When 10 am came and went but nothing changed. Soon it was 15 minutes passed and then half past the hour when the door finally opened admitting a resplendent character. The Emperor arrived in tow with Demitri to the council chambers.

Settling himself in his chair he faced the eight men. “I have had a disturbing vision” he began, ”In the night I saw a most terrible of things, the destruction of Russia!” The men had no idea what he meant nor how it would be even possible but before a single voice could reply he raised his hand towards Demitri.
“On this February 6 of 1836, I will recount what the Tzar has entrusted to me” came the voice of the Demitri. Continuing, “A Tzar who we do not know had come to power, and a fire so frightening engulfed him, and suddenly the sky turned a brilliant red and Russia was no more.”
“What is the meaning of this dream?” asked the Tzar. The question was met with silence. Turning towards the Orthodox Priest Filaret Drozdov, he asked again more forcefully, “What is the meaning of this?”
Drozdov, speaking slowly, “perhaps God is giving us a warning about Russia.”
Mikhail Speransky, a respected scholar and reformer, “My Tzar, do you remember what we talked about before?” The brazenness of Speransky caused all to look toward him. A fire appeared in the eyes of Sergei Uvarov, a respected statesman, “How can you bring that back up now? It was agreed that it would cost too much money.”

Speransky held up his hand, “I understand but if God is telling us the future perhaps it is if we continue our present course? If we sit here and do nothing then what will happen to Russia?”
Then the Tzar answered to the shock of all, “We will only half implement your plan. We will build up the construction industries and supporting industries along with keeping the economy balanced, but your more radical political ideas are not welcome here nor will there be further complaints.” Turning towards Demitri, “See to it that a copy of Speransky’s plan is in each of our hands. We shall see what the reformist's world looks like soon.”
At this, Drozdov stood up and proclaimed, “May God bless us in this undertaking for his glory and for Russia!”

The Speransky Plan:

1. Build 100 construction sectors.
2. Balance the needs of the growing building industry with the expansion of the fields, mines, and lumber sectors.
3. Look for expensive sectors of the economy to invest in.
4. Seek political reforms. Serfdom, voting laws, and reform of the taxation system.
5. Maintain the military and government.
6. Protect the greater Russia against external threats

Characters in this scene:
Special mention to Demitri: Attendant to the Tzar

1668083756550.png
1668083789536.png
1668083816852.png
1668083847996.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I look forward to the economic revolution this construction industry shall bring!

A Taxing Question:​

A knock came at the door of Tzar’s office. Looking up from his reading he moved towards the fireplace with its fire. He then motioned for Demitri to open the door. In walked in a pair of gentlemen in fineries that most could not afford. “My lord,” began the older one, “we bear ill news regarding the financial state of the country.” Sergei Alexseyev, a bureaucrat, “We are spending 30,000 more than our finances can afford.”
Nikolai Orlov, a wealthy businessman, quietly broke in, “The price of tools in our markets is rapidly increasing in price.” Both men appeared to glare at the other for prioritizing their point over the other. The Tzar raised a hand to quiet the two now bickering men. “Could this have waited for the council meeting later this month?” asked the Tzar. When no answer was forthcoming the Tzar held in a sigh as the political infighting seemed to have come again so soon. “What then do you propose we should do?”

Orlov brightened up and said, “we should pause the ‘The Speransky Plan’ and push for greater tool production.” Alexseyev, “I agree, but we should focus instead on the tax system as we are severely understaffed.”

Suddenly a bell rang and Demitri opened the door and was passed a small tray of tea and finger snacks. Placing it on a small table in the middle of the room began dutifully preparing the drink for the Tzar. When given the tea the Tzar, still standing, took it without comment. Turning his attention back towards the men he said, “No, we must raise the finances by other means as the ‘The Speransky Plan’ is our great engineering project for the future, and If that is all, you are dismissed.” The door closed behind them and the Tzar stood staring at the fire. He motioned for Demitri to take the tea back and said, “What do you think?” Demitri was used to such questions but seemed surprised to receive them every time.
Cautiously he said, “Neither plan appears to be to deal with the issue,” and he added quietly, “Aren’t those their pet projects?” If the Tzar had heard the second part he didn’t make a move to respond to it. “Couldn’t we place a few discrete taxes on those tools?” he questioned.

A fortnight later on January 25th, 1837 the council came together to discuss the future plans. The debates were furious with angry men pushing this way and that. Each of the men in the council represented vast and impressive interests across the country. But for all their political clout no solution could be found. The Tzar, having listened to all, quietly placed this glass of wine down and let out a large sigh. Only then did the men quiet down to hear him speak. “I have heard enough, let us raise the export taxes on tools, and if that isn’t enough must add a consumption tax to ensure the plan’s success,“ said the Tzar, “This project has been the talk of all the papers equal to all the shortages we are facing.” Looking to the side he motioned for a rather nervous fellow in charge of the ledgers to come forward. “What is the deficit if we leverage export taxes on tools?” Pulling out an abacus he flicked some beads.
“Iiit comm-mes to (-38.3k),” he said shakily. Silence fell upon the men in the group a decrease in revenue of over 500. These men had been arguing finances all day but not one considered the actual implications. They had discussed consumption taxes for weeks on end now, privately, and in public. The Gentry wanted no more of such taxes and felt that they paid enough and anything less than that would bother still many other factions. It was at a standstill but in front of them, a tax opportunity never before considered.
Sergei Alexseyev asked the nervous man, “if we raised export taxes on all profitable goods, what would the tax gain?” Again some beans bounced and he replied “-34.4k.” A gain of more than 2k.

A compromise had been found, for the time being, tax the foreign and protect the home market.

To be Enacted Plans:

The Alexseyev Plan:

1. Raise valuable export taxes on goods for the Russian Market.
2. Reform the trade law to Protectionism from Mercantilism.
3. Maintain a positive balance until all 100 construction sectors are built.

Enacted Plans:

The Speransky Plan:

1. Build 100 construction sectors. Missing: 75
2. Balance the needs of the growing building industry with the expansion of the fields, mines, and lumber sectors.
4. Reform of the taxation system.

Characters in Scene:
Special mention to Demitri: Attendant to the Tzar
Special mention to Iosif: Nervous Accountant
1668687042410.png
1668687281004.png
1668687322163.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

Chains! People! Demands!​

Later that year magazines all over Saint Petersburg raged with a single story about the plight of the serf. Despite the censorship arguments for and against had been building with one magazine making one argument and another arguing against it.

On a brisk morning of July 2nd, four carriages came to the Tzar’s Winter Palace. Four carriages and four men disembarked from them. The heat was unseasonably hot and despite this, the four men wore fineries unexpected of the weather but for the occasion demanded such. Yevhen Hrebinka, a writer, took the lead followed by Mikhail Spersansky, Nikolai Orlov, and behind Aleksandr Herzen, a local idealist. These four men were led toward the small throne room.

Guards at the door eyed them closely and said, "Names please." Hrebinka stepped forward and gave their names. Tapping the door to let those inside know of their approach the doors opened and a guard announced, “Yevhen Hrebinka, Mikhail Spersansky, Nikolai Orlov, and Aleksandr Herzen have arrived.” The four men had barely taken two steps in when they saw what awaited them. The room was a living tapestry of sounds, movements, and vibrant clothing, and full of members of various factions already arrived. The latest round of articles had roused a chorus of men to the hall of the Tzar. There in the center sat the Tzar on his throne sitting up and watching intently the events of the political fighting. His back arched tall on his throne in his military uniform, but a shadow would cross his face intermediately. Three political camps stood in this political jousting match in which men of bravado would step forwards and make points back and forth. With Sergei Uvarov and Filaret Drozdov standing in one group. Aleksandr Von Benckendorff, the chief of the Gendarmes, and Sergei Alexseyev stood in a second group but seemed otherwise disinterested. Seeing a third group whom they were affiliated with the four men approached.

Yevhen Hrebinka stood listening for a moment and could faintly hear words of, “That poor girl, what abou…,” and, “What of our glorious institu…,” and, “What by God is to be…” He looked towards his compatriots when Filaret Drozdov could be heard calling out loudly, “God!... God!... God has placed this institution before us, us here, and our Tzar here! He was the one chosen to lead us and what we have is from God!”

A chorus of agreement came from near him and the loudest came from Sergei Uvarov. He then broke out, “Friends, are we not in agreement? Yes, the stories are indeed terrible but are not all lives terrible? Doesn't God allot our role and duties in this life?” he continued, “The Speransky Plan exists for this very reason, to raise the lives of those folks who need it. It would do us no good to continue this plan and still yet strip us all of our livelihoods!”

The Hrebinka felt the pit of his stomach fall. A precious moment had come, a movement was formed a push was being done, and all for naught if Uvarov and Drozdov had their way, He yelled out, “To what nightmare do you drive us!” The hall fell silent. “You speak of livelihoods and plans yet give up nothing yourselves! Have you not read these papers?” Pulling out a copy of the Northern Bee, “It is even here, in the paper of the middle classes. Are we so far removed from even them?” Soon eyes moved away from Hrebinka towards the Tzar who now stood with a fire in his eyes towards the men in front of him. He had been content to let this issue sit and fade to not upset the Russian nobility even as he had in small ways tried to make life a little better for those under him. But this was too much, and so the Tzar spoke in a loud firm voice.

“A nightmare, their nightmare or mine?” The question hung upon the air and that very air froze in the room as the Tzar took two steps away from his throne. Von Benckendorff stood ready to enact any command the Tzar gave. Then the Tzar questioned out loud, “Is it better to abolish serfdom from above? What if we wait for that time when it starts to abolish itself from below? The specter of a red skyed nightmare hung over the men. The Tzar looked up to stare directly at it, “You can yourself understand that the present order of owning souls cannot remain unchanged. My intention is to abolish serfdom... I ask you to think about the best way to carry this out.” The room’s chill seemed to warm if only slightly.

Speransky spoke out, “My Tzar, we have some ideas we can present to you today and the rest to be discussed later.” The Tzar motioned him to continue. So Speransky continued, “Ending serfdom isn’t enough, we need to change our tax laws which would hit them the hardest.” Hearing this the Tzar returned to his seat but he was no longer paying any mind to the events of the day and slowly the voices turned into a buzzing sound as he seemed suddenly very frail as the voices finally trailed off as he got up and left the small throne room leaving him to his own thoughts.

Uvarov was in shock as this was not had been what had been previously discussed with the Tzar. A betrayal? A change of heart? What had happened to so change the situation? All was for naught now as he moved to the side of the room to ponder its meaning. However, try as he might the discussions continued for the rest of the day and continued among the many people around Saint Petersburg. It was only three weeks later at the council meeting that a plan was hammered out although its details remained far from clear. It was a direction.

Plans to be Enacted:

The Mercy Act:

Modifies the Speransky Plan:
*Abolish Serfdom following the Tzar’s wishes.
*To overhaul the tax system

Enacted Plans:

The Speransky Plan:

1. Build 100 construction sectors. Missing: 75
4. Reform of the taxation system.

The Alexseyev Plan:

1. Raise valuable export taxes on goods for the Russian Market.
2. Reform the trade law to Protectionism from Mercantilism.
3. Maintain a positive balance until all 100 construction sectors are built.
Major Event:
Abolish Serfdom Movement.

The Political Event:

1668767654677.png

Characters in Scene:

1668690142677.png
1668690155085.png
1668690167846.png
1668690179438.png
1668690194897.png
1668690995542.png
1668691010837.png