• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's why he research CVLs, once those auto-range closing babies join the SH-BBs expect to see many CVs forming brand new deep ocean reefs!
I always disliked that effect, feels close to an exploit, so I feel I should explain my choice a bit:

This USSR doesn't really have any experience with carriers, and historically the soviets did start small went they decided to go into carriers, and even so they used them under a different doctrine then the USA or Japan - one of protecting the main ships of the fleet from enemy aviation, so they could use their weapons (mainly missiles) as opposed to using the carrier's based aircraft to go sink the enemy. I felt that replicating that trumped over my dislike of their effect.

Enterprise would translate into Russian as Предприятие or even as Инициатива (meaning Initiative).
An interesting AAR, will be reading.

I can't understand why Viktor was afraid of Stalin, who is after all gentle father of the nations. :D

Excellent!

A new Soviet Navy!!

Just promise me you won't build real CV's........
CVL's are great, but CV's are "teh suxorz" so to speak.

I once RP'd a Soviet Navy game after reading 'The Lands' AAR. Twas a LOT of fun, I went the way of SHBB and built up two powerful SHBB fleets, one based at Leningrad and the other at Vladivostock. I also beefed up the Crimean Fleet in anticipation for them becoming the Med Fleet. Not to mention some Sub Stacks based in the East.

The only thing to be careful of is that a heavy naval build up will result in somewhat smaller land/air forces. Maybe taking the whole of Finland rather than just the peninsular could help as you'll need less divisions to gaurd against Finland joining the Axis.

Good luck and fantastic AAR so far,

Tanesis,

Edit - You want to get Turkey at some point either from invasion or coup/alliance as access through the Bospherus is so tantalising for the Soviets.

My buildup usually meant strong BB forces in Leningrad and Vladivostok, plus about a half smaller one in Sevastopol. Since Japan is already gone in my games when the build up is finished, I locate the bulk of my submarines West. Then the plan is as follows:
1) To seize France and Spain in order to gain Gibraltar
2) To invade Middle East and Suez
3) To relocate most naval bombers to Syria and the Balkans, hoping to damage as many craft as possible
4) Capture Bosphorus to gain access to the sea once the bombers do some damage
5) Meanwhile, as the Allies concentrate (hopefully) on Pacific and Indian Oceans, launch a quick invasion on Iceland/Azores. Then fortify the islands, build air and naval bases.
6) In the meantime subs conduct convoy interdiction, aided by some naval bombers.
7) Once the Mediterranean is secure, Atlantic and Mediterranean fleets combine at Gibraltar. All naval bombers are sent to France and Spain and start conducting massive bombardment of convoys, fleets, individual craft and what else the Allies throw against them.
8) Hopefully, the Allied carrier force gets seriously weakened, allowing the Pacific Fleet to start some patrols near Japan. Their main purpose is to support the invasion on China.

And that's where my experience ends - the only successful invasion on England/USA was the one i conducted in HoI1 ;)

February was already half-way, and so far, 1938 had been an uncharacteristically positive year for Commissar Orlov. After Stalin's approval - nay, demand - of no less then 9 new enormous Battleships, funds had been aplenty in the Headquarters of Leningrad, and his personal influence only kept growing within the Party. Not bad for someone who until recently had thought the Secretary General didn't trust him.

And he had work to show for it! Only today another of his teams had presented him the finished project of how to transform large merchant ships into simple carriers, fit for reckon aircraft. Not that Orlov thought the USSR needed carriers at all, but Stalin thought it did, so he'd get his carriers.

It was very late, and he had spent the whole day learning about the project, and was completely exhausted, wanting nothing but to go home. But it seemed Stalin and learned about the project's completion, because a car was there to get him. Seemed like the Great Man couldn't wait to hear about his new pet project, so Vladimir picked up his notes on the design and got into the car.

...he wondered though, why hadn't Stalin just called and let him go in his own official car. These guys looked like Security people.

Worst. Event. Ever.

Viktor Andreev hadn't liked the new Commissar much. Where Orlov sounded a bit insecure, this Viktorov seemed full of himself. Not that he lacked reasons for it, being Stalin's trusted man. Or perhaps "trust" was too strong of a word these days, but at least he seemed to be in tune with the Secretary General's plans for the Red Fleet, and that was something.

Another thing - well, perhaps the main thing - was that Vikor felt punished for a good job. He had gained somewhat of a fame in the Naval Office, and with the Commissar now able to claim he had more important things to do, it fell to "Comrade Andreev" to present minor new projects to Stalin. Something which himself realised shouldn't make him so nervous, being a Party member, but still did.

In the end, though, Viktor could hardly complain.

When, in the USSR Supreme Council of January, he heard Molotov proclaim "Our mighty Soviet power must have such sea and ocean fleet that would comply with her interests and would be worthy of our great mission." it seemed to be a simple reference to the Battleships under construction, but then the 10 year plan for the Navy was announced, timed to match the 20th anniversary of the Red Fleet...

It was now clear that having a new Naval Commissar, one whom he felt he could rely on, made all the difference to Stalin.

Ever since, work had tripled, but so had Viktor's motivation. The Soviet Union was building a Navy second to none, and new ideas on how to maximize and use that power were actually being rewarded. The future looks bright indeed!

The shipyards of Leningrad, Sevastopol and Vladivostok fast became some of the main employers in the USSR...

I can't understand why Viktor was afraid of Stalin, who is after all gentle father of the nations. :D
What about now? :D

Maj. von Mauser said:
Just promise me you won't build real CV's........
That depends on how they preform in this world. In 1938 they certainly hadn't demonstrated to be much, and the only reason the USSR is building some is not to fall behind against it's potential enemies.

Tanesis said:
Edit - You want to get Turkey at some point either from invasion or coup/alliance as access through the Bospherus is so tantalising for the Soviets.
I would lie if I claimed the Father of Peoples was planing on subjecting himself forever to a treaty signed in 1921... but at the moment there are no political conditions to address the issue. :(

Jedrek, I'll be avoiding NAVs best I can. Can't promise I'll never need them, specially if the USSR ever finds itself fighting over long stretches of ocean, but only for detection. They're too strong against ships, and I like actual naval battles.

Beladriel, no kidding... But I didn't mind the change of minister stats!

What was your old minister Orlov? Indirect approach?

Someone with the Decisive Battle trait would be best for your navy, but this guy isn't bad.

I liked poor Orlov though, did he really get eliminated in the purge?

Anyways, you realy are building a killer fleet there, keep it going.

A truly mighty fleet. :D

Of course it'll be bugger all use when Ze Germanski come to visit, but a fine fleet none the less.

A truly mighty fleet. :D

Of course it'll be bugger all use when Ze Germanski come to visit, but a fine fleet none the less.

:rofl: Ha ha Nice one.

Worst. Event. Ever.

I've not looked into it in too much detail but the purge events do mean that you get LOTS of very good FM's which for the USSR is very good indeed.

Wonderful update. I liked the way you handled having a fairly important player purged and seamlessley carried on. You Navy will be pretty fearsome when it's finished (well the first couple of serials anyway) but the IC your spending is freakin' huge, I reckon 100 IC on ships [:eek:], minimum 50/60 IC on supplies (probably a chunk more) what else you got hiding in the production que? A looooong serial of INF?

Tanesis,

I'm quite afraid that this Mighty Red Navy will, despite it's considerable numbers and modern vessels, be hard to use effectively. Perhaps able to kill the Kriegsmarine in the Baltic, but only somewhat capable of fighting the Combined Fleet in the East and without any meaningful enemies in the Black Sea... if there just was a way to concentrate it! :(

I suggest you put only a couple of BB IV's to the Black Sea, something similar to the Baltic (the Germans hardly ever sail their main fleet there) and throw the vast majority to the East, to have full use of your navy.

Maj. von Mauser - Yes to both accounts. So Navy-wise the purge wasn't so bad. There's a clear lack of Admirals though...

El Pip - The German fascists are weaker than they appear comrade! If we play our cards right they'll only repeat the Great War and weaken the capitalists for us, before they face another defeat - and then we'll make sure Revolution doesn't fail in Germany again!

Tanesis - It is top secret comrade, but we are producing a short serial of Tanks and a long serial of artillery brigades, to maximize the use of artillery technology developed for the SHBBs and BBs.

Kasakka - At the moment all three Shipyards are allocated the same orders. The Pacific Fleet might have to face Japan, while the Baltic and Black Fleets might have to face Britain, France, Italy, or - who knows - Germany. We can't let our guard down!

Dang, I keep forgetting that you roleplay this like you didn't know what's coming... much better this way for sure though! :)

this is a really good read. cant wait for some naval action

I added it to my Approved AAR list in my Sig.

Hurrah! Recognition!

No updated today though, busy with work comrades.