• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
already reported...it is part of the map, which will not be modified...try to live with it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been reported about a dozen times and Johan has looked into this. One of the threads really ought to be stickied.

We have two options.

1) Leave the red line where it is
2) remove the red line and make every river in the game look like shit

I believe that the answer of the general concensus is rather obvious.:p

Originally posted by Ciuhab
What if the river between Karelia and Olonets is removed? Maybe the red line will disappear along with it.

I'm sure that it has been investigated heavily and severely doubt that would fix it. Even so, that river is more important than some silly red line that doesn't effect gameplay whatsoever.

I agree that a river is more important than red line, but why on earth there is a river anyway? There is not any huge river to divide Karelia in real life. (Karelia consists of game provinces Karelia, Kexholm and Olonets.)

Originally posted by Olli_Juntunen
I agree that a river is more important than red line, but why on earth there is a river anyway? There is not any huge river to divide Karelia in real life. (Karelia consists of game provinces Karelia, Kexholm and Olonets.)

Interesting point that I don't recall being raised before. I finally found a fairly good map of the area:

http://lazarus.elte.hu/~guszlev/finn417.gif

The border between Karelia and Olonets on the EU2 map most closely corresponds with a river running off the Archangel gulf at a town called Belornorszk, pretty much due south towards Lake Onyega. I've no idea whether it's more significant than other rivers in the region.

Looking at the map of Finland, all but the northern third and the coasts should be marsh with rivers between every province!

Originally posted by Ciuhab
What if the river between Karelia and Olonets is removed? Maybe the red line will disappear along with it.

D'oh! On looking closer at the EU2 map, there is no river between Karelia and Olonets !

The red line issue is not caused by a river there, but the way rivers in general are displayed. I should have picked this up earlier.

Can the secret be divulged as to why there must be a trade-off between having the red line and rivers that look like... like... one would not want to swim in them (to avoid crossing any vocabulary lines here)?

First reported in http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70748 , in which I said:

"According to Johan: "Can't fix it... Either that one looks like that OR the rivers look like crap...One province border vs 4 rivers..." "

and JPD said:

"there has been a change in visualisation. In previous patches, there were a few rivers that looked like crap. One such locations was the delta of the rhine river (between the Holland and Zeeland provinces).

Obviously, the method chosen to fix this (my guess is some sort of overlay graphics, as the map itself is not altered), now causes the red lines around the Karelia province"

Hmm... well, if a river was added there, would the red-line problem go away?

Originally posted by wryun
Hmm... well, if a river was added there, would the red-line problem go away?
But that would actually affect gameplay and presumably be wrong. Surely having a funny red line is preferable?