• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thiomay

Were-Troll
47 Badges
Nov 5, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • War of the Vikings
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
j8jTDhh.jpg

Recycled Unit Packs

View attachment RUP_1.5.rar
NOW with early, mid and late game Units! (not for the entire map yet)
-requires CH DLC (among others! crashes without)
-fixes some issues from earlier versions
(mongol horse archers, westernslavicgfx knights shields,...)
-primarily for vanilla 2.2 version
Pictures:
Ewo9P5G.jpg

midgame saxons:

Hppbd2S.jpg

some lategame units:

EiglWuk.jpg

0BxYSeX.jpg

vkZwKsS.jpg

qZdYbIf.jpg

other stuff i don't have a screenshot of

This mod makes use of content from multiple DLCs. It won't run without them activated!

The Timless version doesn't change as much as previous versions. But it should run with every mod and still work after patches. As it is it just has a couple of list of how units are supposed to look like without specifying what culture should use which kind of units. So they're probably not more diverse than portraits. If you just want to start playing just install the timeless version as usual by copying the mod into the C:\Users\'username'\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod folder. If you want more diverse units you're going to have to do some modding to create a custom version compatible with your mods and the latest patch.

If you have portrait mods activated they might actually cause the game to use more of the unit packs than the timeless version uses in vanilla CK2. So you might not want to go through trouble of creating a custom version. This Mod does not make use of the saxon and turkish units DLC but it will override them unless you delete the saxon_avatars and turkish_avatars file in the mod directory. My celtic_avatars file only changes the shields of heavy infantry so feel free to delete that as well if you don't like the change.

Instructions for custom version
Every culture in game is listed in the files in the cultures folder, ( D:\program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\cultures on my PC) mods might override it with there new files in the mod folder (C:\Users\'username'\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod). There's a line stating with 'graphical_culture =' for every culture group and every culture. The hole line looks like this for example: 'graphical_culture = westerngfx' but you can set the value westerngfx to anything else listed in the (D:\program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\common) graphicalculturetypes folder.

Here are some pictures, the instruction continues bellow.

(OUTDATED PICTS! some less than others) Redone Unit packs:

Avar/Magyar/Bularian/Romanian Units (avargfx)
PhtF7Ru.jpg

pikeman/heavy infantry/light infantry/light cavalry/heavy cavalry/light cavalry/archers

Alan Units (alangfx)
m6mZJVo.jpg

light infantry/heavy infantry/archers/pikman/heavy cavalry

Mongol Units (mongolgfx)
IRPz6Cm.jpg

archers/heavy infantry/pikeman/heavy cavalry

Serbian/Croatian Units (southernslavicgfx)
BpHgDlu.jpg

light infantry/heavy infantry/ pikeman/ archer/ heavy cavalry

Steppe Units (steppegfx)
GK1HFta.jpg

light infantry/heavy infantry/ pikeman/ horse archer/ heavy cavalry

more pics (gfx labled)
balticgfx
BaLr1KP.jpg
saxongfx
zqdrsTi.jpg

varingjargfx
rLtrvkx.jpg

celticgfx
Aa2rnjU.jpg

easternugricgfx
MjSuWzf.jpg

List is not complete (turkishgfx, westernslavicgfx,...)

I recommend creating new folders the RUP mod directory and copying all files into them before editing anything. Your going to need to create a common folder in C:\Users\'username'\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Recycled_Unit_Packs and one 'graphicalculturetypes' and 'cultures' each inside the common folder. What you want to do is to edit the cultures files, depending what other mods you use there might be more than one or they might use a different name. So just copy everything inside the cultures folder from CK2 or whatever mods you use into the new cultures folder. Then edit the value after 'graphical_culture =' of a culture whose units you currently don't like to one those used in my files that you like better. That's the stuff ending with gfx beside the pictures above. Make sure to add a second line that reads 'second_graphical_culture =' bellow the one you just edited and add the value you just removed to it. (There might already be a 'second_graphical_culture =' line in some cases it's probably best to replace it.)

Exemple:

armenian= {
graphical_culture = byzantinegfx

could be changed to:

armenian= {
graphical_culture = alangfx
second_graphical_culture = byzantinegfx

Now you have to make sure that this gfx value is listed in the 'graphicalculturetypes' file(s), again it depends on what mods you use if it's multiple files or one but the important thing is that the gfx you use is listed in any file in the 'graphicalculturetypes' folder. Here is an example of a custom graphicalculturetypes file it doesn't have everything used by CK2 because it used to run along side the original 00_graphicalculturetype file.

Code:
# Skin tones are 0 (light), 1 (tan), 2 (dark) and 3 (black)

alternetgfx = {
    skin_tone = 0
}

# Eastern

avargfx = {
    skin_tone = 0
}
southernslavicgfx = {
    skin_tone = 0
}
alangfx = {
    skin_tone = 0
}
balticgfx = {
    skin_tone = 0
}
ugricgfx = {
    skin_tone = 0
}
varingjargfx = {
    skin_tone = 0
}
easternugricgfx = {
    skin_tone = 0
}
# Muslim

steppegfx = {
    skin_tone = 1
}
Some of these gfx things don't have a picture above but there also in the mod and can be experimented with.

Sorry to everyone how wasted time due to the last instructions being very bad, please post if something is still unclear.

known issues:
-some clipping hats
-some heavy cavalry shields use wrong animation

Compatches
All compatchas should be outdated by now I am sorry I never added a version number for what they were for. I don't really want to make new ones. Also with RoI coming there might be a new spirit pack so I might make a new packs depending on how they look. (possibly arab packs) I'm not currently playing a lot of CK2 but if i make a compatch for personal use i'll upload that one.

[OUTDATED]For CK2+ Combatibility see

Outdated!
View attachment RUP-1.4.1.rar
View attachment Recycled unit packs 1.31.rar

Permission:
Feel free to incorporate my files in other mods or modify them and credit me.

Attachments

• RUP-1.4_timeless.rar
    11,6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Reactions:
I love you.

Any chance you might make this compatible with CPR? (Cultures portraits revamp, made by the creator of VIET, and it's imho the best portrait mod out there)

CPR should be compatible already, if you run both the baltic and ugric units mods.

...and VIET seems to work too.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks.

Will try it as soon as possible.

Any chance CK2+ can use this? It looks really neat :)

CK2+ should work fine if you run Better looking Garbs you need the baltic units mod and the ugric units won't do anything.
There all included and it can't hurt to run all of them.

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear, I mean can we include it in CK2+ as a sub-module.

Looks really nice :)

Would you perhaps consider making units for the Magyars?

Problem with the Magyars is they use westernslavicgfx in vanilla and most mods. So it would either change the look of most of eastern Europe or if I changed the value their portraits would change. But I am definitely thinking about, it maybe a Magyar, Avar and Bulgarian pack?

I am probably gona upload a new version of baltic/ugric units soon, light infantry currently looks terrible didn't see them when I first tested it because there so rare.

Really nice ones! Lookin' forward to cooperate with you, Thiomay.

Yeah thanks for the pictures, they really make me want to play Medieval Total War mods again.

I probably not gonging to do new units any time soon though. True Muslim units still all look the same but i am not sure i can do much about that. I can't replace the helmets of units, in some rare cases it works but most helmets can not be changed for most units. Muslim archers models and Mongol helmets work only on archer units the other units display no helmet and i don't understand why. I original wanted Muslim heavy infantry with Mongol helmets for Turkish heavy infantry but I couldn't get it to work so now they are like Mongol heavy infantry with Muslim heavy shield. Also I have no idea why African swords won't work, when I used them they were displayed as normal swords.

I uploaded a wrong version of the mod that was online only a short time, (using the same name) in which some modules won't work but it should be fixed now.

This doesn't seem to be working when you have BLG and CK2+ enabled at the same time at all, even with the version you made for these mods.

Sorry i should have tested it properly before uploading. I really don't know what the issue is, the older unit packs still work but with the new version none do.

Edit: Version 1.31 released fixes the issue. (It was a space sign to many in the mods name)

Last edited: