• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 29: World Update 1200

Map of the Empire 1200

Independent States Map

Sultanate of Abyssinia (Shirazid Sultanate) - Recently restored to Bedouin rule from the grip of the Ethiopian branch of the Shirazid's, the Zikri Sultanate faces the challenge surviving any attacks form it's Orthodox, Sunni, and Shiite neighbors.

Sultanate of the Alamoravids- Now just a shadow of it's former glory, the Sultan looks to Iberia to revitalize his Sultanate's ailing fortunes.

Kingdom of Aragon- With the collapse of the Castillian-Leon Union, Aragon may now have the chance to become the dominant power in the Iberian peninsula.

Kingdom of Brittany- Once Brittany was an underdog, an afterthought in the minds of the Kings of England and France; but now, with England's refusal to convert to Orthodoxy and their subsequent civil war, Brittany has managed to snatch parts of Wales and Ireland. Once the English civil war ends however, England might seek a return of it's taken land.

Kingdom of Castille- The King of Castille faces many challenges should he hope to restore Castille's position as the dominant power in Iberia. The Alamoravid's and Mali to the south, Aragon to east, France to the north, Leon to the west and the Catholic Asturias in the centre will all prove a challenge for the weakened Kingdom.

Kingdom of Croatia- Now only possessing a single county, Croatia is a lost cause. The sole interest of the King is to prevent his families extinction.

Khanate of Cumania- More powerful than ever before, the only one's who can challenge it's authority are the Byzantine Empire and the Seljuk Sultanate, and neither one has shown significant interest in it.

Kingdom of Denmark- Since 1170, Denmark has gained a little bit, and lost a little bit. They are at least, very stable compared to their neighbors in Norway and Sweden.

Kingdom of England- The House de Normandie was overthrown, and King Paul the Monk of the House de Crepon took control. Now in control of the Monk's grandson, the Catholic Kingdom is threatened by the expansionist behavior of Scotland and Brittany. Should England desire to survive, it will have to throw aside it's difference's with France.

Caliphate of the Fatimids- The exiled Caliph has continued his push east to escape the Greeks, but he is now faced with a brick wall; the Seljuks.

Kingdom of France- Though no longer what is was, France is still a significant power who can hold it's own.

Serene Republic of Genoa- With the weakening of Venetian and Pisan power, Genoa has managed to pull ahead, capturing Tuscany from Pisa. Their Italian ambitions might be short-lived however if the Byzantine Empire has anything to say about it.

Kingdom of Georgia- While they have managed to hold off the Cuman hordes, many believe it to be only a matter of time until old Georgia is devoured by the Khan. Many Georgian noblemen can now be found residing in the courts of Greek lords, serving in different council positions.

Emirate of Gauhar Ayin- Despite being surrounded by more powerful neighbors, the Emirate has managed to hold it's own, though it has been unable to expand. For Gauhar Ayin, the best thing that could happen would be widespread civil war in Persia.

Hammadid Emirate- A minor North African power, they are confronted with danger on all sides.

The Holy Roman Empire- The Holy Roman Empire has expanded to the detriment of Poland, France, and minor Italian states, bringing it into conflict with both the remaining Catholic states and the resurgent Byzantium.

Kingdom of Hungary- Hungary's increasing power has been a source of worry for it's neighbors; while still not powerful enough to grapple with Greeks or Germans, Cumania is now within range of it's abilities.

Sultanate of Mali- Having thrown the Alamoravid's from Marrakech, Mali has become one of the leading Islamic states. Besides Africa, Mali has expressed it's interest in Iberian expansion.

Duchy of Munster- With the added threat of Brittany, Munster's time seems to be at an end.

Kingdom of Norway- Frequent civil war has left Norway an easy target for neighbors, threatening to tear it's Scandinavian-Russian empire asunder.

The Papacy- You can't see it, but the Papacy is there, lurking in the shadows, manipulating events.

Serene Republic of Pisa- Beaten and bruised, this merchant republic is on the way out. With a little bit of luck however, they might be able to scrape together a new life outside of Italy.

Kingdom of Poland- Poland is in a precarious state; it has managed to protect itself from major loss, but the slightest thing could knock it off balance and bring Polish independence to an end.

Kingdom of Scotland- While the Andalusian campaign proved to be short-lived, Scotland has refocused her priorities, expanding south into England. So far, their new campaign has succeeded.

Sultanate of the Seljuk's- Only recently has the Seljuk dynasty been restored to their throne, and how long they'll last is anyone's guess.

Kingdom of Sweden- Besides some expansion into Russia, Sweden has been biding it's time, waiting for the right moment. However, power can be found at other places than the battlefield.

Serene Republic of Venice- Like the other Italian merchant republics, Venice finds herself in a dangerous position, with no easy escape.

Kingdom of Volga Bulgaria- Now the leading Russian state, it's Kings desire to restore Russian control over their rightful land. Being Monolethite however, might spark conflict with Orthodox neighbors.

Religion Map

Culture Map

Republic Trade Map 1200

Green: Damietta
Blue: Venice
Tan: Pisa
Salmon: Genoa
White: Ancona

Ancona is the new kid on the block. They're a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor.

Western European Dynasties

Northern & Eastern European Dynasties

Middle Eastern and East African Dynasties

West African Dynasties

Chapter 30: A Marriage Made in Secret

After finishing wars in Cherson, Derbent and Pisa, Theodora moved the Empire against the Fatimid Caliphate, planning to cut the Caliphate down to size.

With the Empresses command, the imperial troops statoned throughout Egypt and Jerusalem marched into Arabia. Rather than risking their soldier's lives out in the merciless desert of Nefoud, Theodora and the general's agreed that the imperial forces should hug the coast and head to the Caliph's capitol at Medina. Imperial forces occupied Al Jawf and Hijaz.

It was at Hijaz that the Empire faced it's first military defeat since the Komnenos had taken power.

I hate fighting in Arabia

When the news arrived in the capitol of the defeat, the Empress was said to have fell ill with Measles, though the sickness would last for only a few days.

The Empire would restore it's reputation however, first at the Battle of Tawala, and then in the following months at Al Adan and Leuke Kome, annihilating the Caliph's forces, though depleting the Empire's manpower reserves in the area.

It was during this time that Theodora's eldest son, Philippos, and his cousin Sophia (daughter of Theodora's sister Eirene) both reached the age of 16. With the Empress and the court's eyes on Arabia, the cousins secretly courted one another, and made plans to marry, with his mother's permission or not. At the same time, Theodora considered her eventual death. Her short encounter with measles had made her realize that she could die at any moment- and she still had not made a decision about her heir. Rather than make any hasty decisions, she decided to wait, and see which of her sons was superior to the other- Philippos or Romanos?

One less stewardship point than his mother, just as she had one less stewardship point than her father

The war came to an end in 1205; the Caliph had lost the will to fight, facing financial and domestic problems on the home front. This relieved the Empress and her advisors; they did not enjoy the prospect of slowly dragging the troops through open desert.

The Empire took the duchy of Nefoud, dividing the Caliph's lands in half and severely weakening their power. Never again would the Caliphate present the same threat as before.

The Empresses hair was frizzled and messy, bags hanging under her eyes and she sorted through a stack of documents, reports, messages, and records. Philippos gulped as he peeked through the crack in the door. No one knew about his and Sophia's romance, except their old busybody cousin Theochariste, who had not blabbed yet.

He didn't want to stress his mother, but he couldn't keep it a secret anylonger. He had already suggested to her the idea of him marrying Sophia, but she had denied it. But she was the woman he loved, so for the first time in his life, he went against his mother.

The disadvantage of being kind

Such a dareful son :p I hope that he will be equally brave if he rises to the Throne ;) Besides that it is good to see you mate continue this legacy even after the summer :happy:

Such a dareful son :p I hope that he will be equally brave if he rises to the Throne ;) Besides that it is good to see you mate continue this legacy even after the summer :happy:

Nothing can stop the Komnenos! Except the world ending, these forums ending, or my computer ending. :)

And yes, Philippos is indeed brave to go against the will of one of the most powerful people in the world (even if she is his mother). Makes me wonder how smart he is though. :laugh:

Darn! hope she has some good genes!
Well weren't there a son more that might not be so foolish :)

'Tis a question many powerful men and women have pondered throughout the ages... which of my children do I like best?

I've been sick so I haven't posted for some time, I hope to have the next update up soon. I also have to catch up on my reading of other people's AAR's (which I was already behind on). :eek:o

Like mother, like son.:)

it will end with

1+1=?

Damn good for nothing kids! :)

Did he marry an imbecile? One of my grandsons did that...

No, I was lucky this time; his new bride is perfectly fine. Still, it's not his business to select his own wife( at least not yet).

Chapter 31: Basket Case

In 1207, longtime Steward Demetrios Komnenos died at the age of 88, leaving the post open. Previously, the Empress had believed her son Philippos to be too timid; his recent marriage had showed that this wasn't true. Theodora decided to test her son more; he was given the post of Steward on the council.

Do well, you might be Emperor one day; fail, and your out of the family

The Empress had grown frustrated by the slow rate of expansion in Italy. It was her desire to see Italy restored under the Empire's control in her lifetime. Civil war in the Holy Roman Empire however would grant an opportunity to speed things up.

The 18,000 strong Imperial force landed at Provence, quickly defeating the smaller Provencial army at Grimaud, followed by the rapid occupation of the province. The army then moved north to wipe out the German army , achieving victory at Embrun.

As more legions arrived, they struck at the Provencial mercenary force at Orange, once again achieving victory. Following them back to Embrun, they captured the Hochmeister Emelrich of the Teutonic Order.

By this time however, the French had arrived, and defeated the Greek armies at Aix with an inferior force.

The retreating army was then beaten again at the Second Battle of Orange. Angered by the defeat of their armies, the Greek generals collected their forces together, and struck at Arles, followed by Avignon, leading to the surrender of the Provencial government. The Empire had gained a foothold in northern Italy, putting the Empire in a good position to expand into not only Italy, but also Burgundy, France, and Spain.

The deed done, Muhammad watched as Constantinople faded in the distance. The ship bobbed in the water, and his thoughts turned to his home in Syria.

Theodora watched as the clerks shifted through the pile of loot from the Croatia campaign. The gold would be added to the Imperial treasury, but the jewelry and regalia would become part of her personal collection. She inspected the Crown of Zvonmir. It was faded and dent, presumably from the battle and siege. "No wonder they call Gaspar careless, if he let his crown take this kind of punishment." Placing it back onto the table, she surveyed the rest of loot; a plain, covered basket caught her eye. She grabbed it, and removed the lid.

The clerk scribbled on the ledger, as another clerk weighed the gold. Suddenly, a scream sliced through the air, and before he knew it, he and the other clerks were grabbed and pushed against the floor by the guards. As he lay there, he saw beside him a fallen basket, with a trail of blood leading to a severed head.

Nikolaus always was a basket case...

Chapter 32: Unless You Are The...

Theodora looked out the window, watching the orange glow of the evening sun strike the buildings of Constantinople. She turned back to the pile of documents before her. She was glad she was so busy. It kept her distracted from Nikolaus's death. The men she had appointed to rule over the new territories in Provence and Mosul were arriving at their posts, her generals were establishing control over Nice, and launching the conquest of Azerbaijan and Basra. She peered once again out the window, watching the guards marching. After the assassination of both Nikolaus, the Marshal, the Dous Basileios of Paphalagonia had also been assassinated. The Empire had been gripped by paranoia and fear. In the Eastern territories Muslims had been targeted by Greeks. Men, women and children. The army and guards had launched purges. Theodora too had taken steps of her own. She lifted her dress, pulling a dagger from the lining. She ran her finger across the blade; it was sharp. Satisfied, she put it back. She put her papers back in order; they were throwing a little party for Anastasia's 16th birthday, and then she had to put through the final motions of Eirene's betrothal.

Sophia Komnenos cradled the Andreas in her arms. He was their second child, the first being Iordanes. She looked into his little eyes. Despite being a newborn, the eyes already had an look of determination and strength in them. He looked a bit like his grandmother in that regard, thought Sophia.

Weakened by his defeat at the hands of the Greeks, the Serene Doge of Genoa health had failed him, dying not long after. His successor, was immediately disliked by his neighbors; he was Catholic. Angered by the sudden rise of Catholic heresy in Italy, the Patriarch and the Pentarch's urged the Empress to teach them a lesson once and for all. She eagerly agreed, declaring a Holy War for Genoa in 1214. The Genoans were no match, surrendering later that year. The Genoan empire splintered, and it's trade posts were either burned to the ground or captured by rivals. Serene Doge Pancrazio I decided to reorganize the Serene Republic of Genoa into the short-lived Kingdom of Genoa. Now only Damietta, Pisa, Venice and the insignificant Ancona remained in the competition.

Venice is next on my little list...

In Africa, an old enemy collapsed, and a powerful new Empire arose. Mali had ambitions not only to rule Africa, but Iberia as well.

Yes, he's very content. Content to conquer an entire Sultanate

The heretical English found themselves under attack by the Holy Roman Empire; the Kaiser even set up his new capitol in Sussex.

The Germans are coming! The Germans are coming!

Civil war in France and the Holy Roman Empire granted opportunities for Imperial expansion. The Count of Toulouse and the Duchess of Luxembourg found themselves fighting on two fronts.

Toulouse did not waste time giving up hope.

You lose, Toulouse!

None seemed capable of threatening the glory of the resurgent Empire. With one exception.

Look's like the parties over...

A fine tale indeed!:laugh:

5 Years later...

The Daily Daimettan said:
The Mongols Sack Constantinople!

Not even the mighty Thedosian Walls could prevent the massive Mongol horde from bursting through into the city and ravaging the populace. The Hagia Sophia goes up in flames as what cannot be looted is put to the torch.

Maybe we should have run while we could...:mellow:

A fine tale indeed!:laugh:

5 Years later...

Maybe we should have run while we could...:mellow:

Haha, indeed. Though I don't want to reveal too much yet, when the Mongols show up, it won't get hot immediately; they'll be a bit of a cold war first. I just hope though that their won't be any medieval hippies showing up in Constantinople to protest it. :laugh:

Hello everyone, sorry for the abrupt disappearance; I had grown frustrated with the game at one point, so I had decided to take a few days off of playing and writing to let my sheets cool down, to quote Mrs. Doubtfire out of context. I then kept putting it off and eventually forgot. I now have a lot of reading to catch up on:). Chapter 33 is just seconds away!

Dat Hamburg

Ham.:"LOL PaGaN/NeStOrIaN!!!11":laugh:

Me: FTW?:huh:

Ha, I never noticed that before. I'm not sure how long they lasted.