• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6159)

Field Marshal
Oct 23, 2001
Visit site
I've done extensive testing on HRE elections in EU as has Chas. I've been able to draw the following conclusions - see here for details on the testing.

For every Catholic country the WEIGHTED sum of relations with each elector is calculated. A bonus is added to the sums for Austria and Spain, and a small random number is added to each countries score and the highest score is elected.

The voters (in order of importance for the IGC) are:
Austria (HAB)
Prussia (PRU)
Baden (BAD)
Bavaria (BAY)
Cleves (KLE)
Bohemia (BOH)
Hanover (HAN)
Greece (HEI)
Hesse (HES)
Cologne (KOL)
Lorraine (LOR)
The Palatinate (PFA)
Saxony (SAC)
Thuringia (THU)
Wurtemburg (WUR)
Brandenburg (BRA)
Holstein (SHL)

To be elected you need to improve your relations with these countries in this order of importance. You can also work on reducing the relations of your rival with these countries. If you are playing one of these countries your relations with yourself matter. On the other hand if you're playing one of these countries you can easily worsen your relations with other candidates by insulting them. Relations with yourself can be improved by taking cash in peace settlements.

Last edited:
Some details:
-The random factor is roughly 15 relationship points total. As such it will rarely make a difference, but makes testing a pain.
-The weights of the first 6-10 (roughly) electors are all the same. The later electors could be worth 1/2 or 1/4 what the first ones are worth. Focus on the ones near the top of the list
-The bonus for Austria is somewhere in the range of 600-1200 relationship points. This means you need a big lead to beat them. It's not clear if this will be easier or harder when most of the electors have been eliminated. Spain's bonus is smaller than this.
-I'll post my best guess at the electoral order for games without the IGC tommorrow.

A few more detailed points:

For those that are interested, that priority sequence of electors in IB's first post is also the order that the countries appear in the save file.

There are circumstances towards the end of the game when it may be impossible for a non-Austrian candidate to win. This is when there are few electors left (e.g. 5 or so) but Austria still exists. Typically Austria's total relations with the electors (including itself) will be at least 0, often higher. So the maximum advantage over Austria that you could get would be, say, 5 x 200 = 1000. But Austria's bonus in these circumstances is in the 1000-1200 range. So it can't be done. Although weighting of the relationships for each elector could make a difference, when there are so few electors typically the weights are all the same.

It's implied in IB's first post, but to be explicit: only relationships matter, so lots of things don't make any difference to the election result - these include alliances, vassalisations and wars.

We don't really know what happens when there are only a handful of electors left. I suspect it's still possible.

Plus the cool thingie on the religious map.

List of electors in the normal game (non-IGC). As best I can tell the order is:

Austria (HAB)
Brandenburg (BRA)
Baden (BAD)
Bavaria (BAY)
Cleves (KLE)
Bohemia (BOH)
Hanover (HAN)
Hesse (HES)
Cologne (KOL)
Prussia (PRU)
Lorraine (LOR)
The Palatinate (PFA)
Saxony (SAC)
Thuringia (THU)
Wurtemburg (WUR)

Originally posted by Sgt. Bulldog

Ah! Explains why I keep having spanish troops crawling all over Russia.

Hmm, Russia isn't within the boundaries of the HRE (marked in red on the religion map) but I suppose you've conquered your way into the HRE.

And bear in mind that if you dow the HRE, or he dow's you, wherever he is at the time, he immediately starts seiging. Very irritating. But sometimes the HRE has put down a rebellion or two for me, if he happens to be walking through a province that rebels at that time. Not so irritating.

The election for the HRE always seemed like a gimme for Austria. I enjoy playing the minor german states, so I always had problems with Austria after getting a few BBs. (Furious, Hard)
But now I know the list of electors. Instead of dumping cash on Austria, I can spend it on the electors. Might even diplo-annex a few :)
I don't consider this as a cheat because as an elector state, I should know which kingdom has more say. (Cal has the most electorial votes in the US)
Thanks for the research. Also I enjoyed the AAR.

As a German spending money on Austria is totally worthless. You increase their vote for you, but also increase your vote for them. Be warned that you'll need a big lead to take the election from them.

They should make an EU1 modification so that you select the country you vote for, and the rest also. It will be more democrtatic than looking only at relations!

All you crazy people who are so good at this kinda stuff, pleez get out your notepad and start writing... Thank You! :D :D :D

Originally posted by thomash87
They should make an EU1 modification so that you select the country you vote for, and the rest also. It will be more democrtatic than looking only at relations!

All you crazy people who are so good at this kinda stuff, pleez get out your notepad and start writing... Thank You! :D :D :D

writing..........................................
10%-20%-30%-40%-50%-60%-70%-80%-90%-97.34792%...
***CRASH***

Wrong rule

I understand now why, as France, I never won the HRE election : I focused my diplomacy on the REEL LIFE electors, that is to say :
*Bohemia
*Brandeburg
*Palatinate
*Saxony
*Kleves
*Cologne
(the 7th was the archbishop of Mainz, part of Palatinate in the game).

Bayern turned elector after the 30 years war in place of Bohemia, part of Austria, Hannover in the beginning of the 18th century.

What an error to give importance to Prussia, for the election, as Prussia was outside of the HRE.
That is why the margrave of Brandburg turned to be King of Prussia (a former dukedom) when he inheritated it : as a subject of the HRE with Brandeburg, I didn't have right to be king, but as Prussia was outside the HRE, I could be King of Prussia AND margrave of Brandeburg.

Let's beging a lobbying action to get the electing power back to its legitime owners ;)