• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(50292)

Lt. General
Nov 8, 2005
I wanna revive the Turkey to the old glorious days of the Ottoman Empire. Any suggestion how should i go about it? Playing DD v1.3a with DAIM, Normal Difficulty, Aggresive AI. I want to see how far can I go.

From some previous forums I recall, this is what I'll think i'll do. Ally with German hoping for blueprints freebies, quit alliance by Sept 39 of course. Plan to disband most of my 1918, quick research to '39 infantry, build strings of them. By then, most of the GOI or NAP may have expire and I can start attacking Bulgaria & Greece by '39 for starts and any other hapless nations that is not with Allies or Axis. I intend to attack towards Europe as much as possible as I can rather capture IC rich provinces than the mostly unproductive desert provinces of the middle east that yields nothing but plenty of partisans.
I read about people attacking Neatherlands Indonesia or Ireland at start but I'm not sure how they avoid the wraith of UK with the GOI in place.

Any tips before I start off too far is welcome. TQ, generals.

Any thoughts on who you will side with in the ensuing war? You are right in the middle of all three major alliances. Still, you could probably gobble up syria and Lebanon with fairly little effort, and those are the more useful provinces in the middle east. Strong attention needs to be paid to how you'll deal with the inevitable SU advance through eastern Europe.

Be wary of the balkans. GoI heaven - GoI hell. Declare war on one of them and suddenly you're the worlds number one bad guy. :eek:

Last edited:
Still, turkey should have no problems... it can sweep through greece very quickly, and quickly through Bulgaria as well...
Then I guess consolidate and take out Romania or Yugoslavia, or treat them like one frontline....
once you capture Yugoslavia, fortify those mountain provinces just in case Germany wants to come your way
And I`d play nice with USSR :)

ottoman empire's cores are not as many as its glorios days. firstly, you may edit the files to add balkan provinces.

Your manpower and IC are extremely lousy.
I doubt you have much manpower left for an army if you guard all beaches with 3 militia.

I use an event which fires in '36 and changes Turkey into Ottoman Empire.
The event isn't mine, but I can't remember who made it.
If you want I can post the event here, you just need to cut and paste it.

I'd keep the infantry, it's badly understrength, so won't cost much supplies. You can upgrade them to an obsolete level cheaply later on.

Attacking the Netherlands will be difficult due to range-issues.
Instead you'd choose for Spain during the SCW, although that's hard as both the Rep and the Nat's are much more powerfull then you. Their navy is also a bit stronger on paper.

If you choose to play with Turkey in a vanilla game, I'd make sure you're in the alliance you want to be in 1938; Atatürk dies then and you become unable to join any alliance for years.

I do no intend to side with anyone major power in this game as my empire shall stand alone just like Ottoman :)
I'll certainly not taking any sides once the major powers start killing each other. But I'll play as a sly opportunist.
No plans to edit file to make actual Ottoman's provinces more worthy. I intend to take as much of Europe as much as possible, if that can be taken, the former Ottoman's empire should be no problem re-creating (ahem, minus UK/Allies controlled area of course).

Does Syria and Lebanon and has IC? I thought it doesn't have. Perhaps only after it got their independence.
Am I correct to assume the GoI expire normally after 2 years? It yes, it means I can start rampaging around 38-39 timeframe.

you can dow bulgaria in the very beginning to start an early ww. ussr usually backs you and dows anyone dowed you. they will accept your ally offer and march through anatolia to conquer balkans from istanbul to add them to your territory.
edit: well, it will not be easy to succeed without siding with any major alliances.
written above tactic seems best, or you may wait till barbarossa to join axis (but first you must delete the event "great turk has died" :) )

What exactly happens when Atatürk passes away? The slider bar moves to isolationist? If that's the case I'll need to conduct the war earlier and don't bother moving towards intervention before 1938.

I intend to play the original game with no event modifications and see how far it will take me.
The attacking of Indonesia trick I came across before was making an alliance with one warlord state in south China so your TP can rebase there (9000km range). Once that is done, resource rich Indonesia is free for taking.

I intend to sign up German early and quit alliance before WW2 started in Sept 39. I plan to take on Bulgaria, Greece, and whatever non-GOI country in Eastern Europe. I hope these mini-wars won't mess up the WW2 trigger when German invade Poland. I know one condition is that German must not be in war on tha date

Thundergate said:
What exactly happens when Atatürk passes away? The slider bar moves to isolationist? If that's the case I'll need to conduct the war earlier and don't bother moving towards intervention before 1938.

I intend to play the original game with no event modifications and see how far it will take me.
The attacking of Indonesia trick I came across before was making an alliance with one warlord state in south China so your TP can rebase there (9000km range). Once that is done, resource rich Indonesia is free for taking.

I intend to sign up German early and quit alliance before WW2 started in Sept 39. I plan to take on Bulgaria, Greece, and whatever non-GOI country in Eastern Europe. I hope these mini-wars won't mess up the WW2 trigger when German invade Poland. I know one condition is that German must not be in war on tha date

I don't know for sure, but you can't DoW nations in '39/40 if you let Atatürk die in '38. AFAIK you'll be an isolationistic democracy with generally lousy sliders.

GoforitPanzer said:
I don't know for sure, but you can't DoW nations in '39/40 if you let Atatürk die in '38. AFAIK you'll be an isolationistic democracy with generally lousy sliders.
But can't you go paternal autocrat fairly early on?

Monkii-sama said:
But can't you go paternal autocrat fairly early on?
Thats what you are when you start in 1936.

So if you go more autocratic then what's the problem?

The event still fires in 1938, and it sets your sliders to be an isolationist democracy, regardless of whether you were previously a nazi dictatorship, or America Jr.

The Ottoman Empire is a pretty weak puppet. They have very little manpower or industry plus they run out of resources even with their meager IC. It's better to let Italy take them so they can have a land connection to Africa and there by get manpower from all of the Mideast and Africa.

Hmmm... I've been thinking of doing something along this line since last week after finishing yet another Italy game. Haven't really played much with Turkey; but I always thought that if they went to war, they would have tried to recover what was lost in WWI.

My idea was simple: use an event to allow the player to choose whether he wants to turn into the Ottoman Empire when Ataturk dies. This is semi-historical because they were forces in Turkey at the time pushing for a return to the good old days and the return of the Sultan. Didn't really come to much though; but it could have all the same.

Things are made even simpler in that the Ottoman Empire is already designated in DDA. Just have to clean up any would be duplicate leaders/tech teams and viola! The most difficult part would be assigning cores by event as there will be a ton of them.

walrus said:
The event still fires in 1938, and it sets your sliders to be an isolationist democracy, regardless of whether you were previously a nazi dictatorship, or America Jr.

OK, what happens if I am already in a war when the event fires? This looks like one way to get around it.
Where are the Turkey event files, I looked at the db folder and search thru the one for Turkey but cannot find the one referencing to the Great Turk passing away event.

I'm not going to rebuilt the same Ottoman Empire of yesteryears, mine gonna be more Europe-centric :) Ain't gonna capture all the unproductive Mediterannean beaches that need garissoning. May push eastward to Tibet if I cannot push westward. Let's see how far I can go on the vanilla game.

Thundergate said:
OK, what happens if I am already in a war when the event fires? This looks like one way to get around it.
Where are the Turkey event files, I looked at the db folder and search thru the one for Turkey but cannot find the one referencing to the Great Turk passing away event.

I'm not going to rebuilt the same Ottoman Empire of yesteryears, mine gonna be more Europe-centric :) Ain't gonna capture all the unproductive Mediterannean beaches that need garissoning. May push eastward to Tibet if I cannot push westward. Let's see how far I can go on the vanilla game.

One of my first HOI DD Arma games was as Turkey. As you plan to, I allied with Germany for blueprints and ditched them in the summer of 39. Other than the immediate occupation and annexation of Albania, I didn't start any wars of aggresison until mid 1940. I had annexed Greece and was almost done mopping up Bulgaria when the USSR declared war on me! on the same day the Allies declared war on the SU. Then Tannu Tuvu and Mongolia joined the SU in its war against the allies, which resulted in Germany declaring war against Tannu Tuvu. Four days later the SU stops trading with me. :rofl:
It wasn't until march of 43 that the bitter peace event fired for Germany.
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/Bucket_Puritan/?action=view&current=Bitters.jpg

I later rejoined the Axis and took all of the middle east, most of Africa, and Persia. My most fond memory though was linking up with Rommel outside of Rostov. :)

I have never played Turkey but I can imagine a good strategy being waited for italy to join the axis and start the north african campaign then you declare war on the allies and grab the middle eastern oil fields and the seuz. You won't get much IC but controlling the middle eastern oil fields puts you in a dominant tactical position and also allowing for an invasion of the Indian subcontinent. I don't think the allies will be able to stop you while also fighting the Italians and/or Germans in North Africa.

Thundergate said:

As mentioned earlier, if you're already in an alliance, you won't leave it because you suddenly turned all mellow and democratic. :p
The same goes if you're in a war already.

@Big_feef;
That already exists. I can't remember who made it, but I've used it before.
See this:

############################################
##### Ottoman Empire Reforms
############################################
event = {
id = 124562
random = no
country = TUR

trigger = {
exists = TUR
}

name = "The Ottoman Empire Rises Again"
desc = "After 700 years of existence, the Ottoman Empire was disolved by the victorious Allies after the end of the Great War. However, spurred on by events in Europe, and with a war between Germany and the Allies seemingly inevitable, Turkey souhgt to reclaim the lands that had been taken from them over centuries of imperialism and revolt. The vote is split, and Turkey must decide to announce itelf the Ottoman Empire and place claims on it old land, or be content with it current holding as Turkey."
style = 0
picture = "anchsluss"
date = { day = 05 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 1

action_a = {
ai_chance = 3
name = "We shall reclaim the lands of the Empire!"
command = { type = country which = OTT }
command = { type = belligerence which = OTT value = 40 }

command = { domestic which = interventionism value = 6 }
command = { domestic which = hawl_lobby value = 3 }
command = { domestic which = authoritarian value = 4 }

command = { type = addcore which = 444 }
command = { type = addcore which = 410 }
command = { type = addcore which = 411 }
command = { type = addcore which = 412 }
command = { type = addcore which = 392 }
command = { type = addcore which = 402 }
command = { type = addcore which = 403 }
command = { type = addcore which = 401 }
command = { type = addcore which = 393 }
command = { type = addcore which = 394 }
command = { type = addcore which = 395 }
command = { type = addcore which = 400 }
command = { type = addcore which = 405 }
command = { type = addcore which = 496 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1864 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1860 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1791 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1806 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1866 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1790 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1824 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1823 }
command = { type = addcore which = 396 }
command = { type = addcore which = 399 }
command = { type = addcore which = 398 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1822 }
command = { type = addcore which = 390 }
command = { type = addcore which = 391 }
command = { type = addcore which = 413 }
command = { type = addcore which = 414 }
command = { type = addcore which = 415 }
command = { type = addcore which = 418 }
command = { type = addcore which = 419 }
command = { type = addcore which = 417 }
command = { type = addcore which = 416 }
command = { type = addcore which = 421 }
command = { type = addcore which = 420 }
command = { type = addcore which = 422 }
command = { type = addcore which = 389 }
command = { type = addcore which = 451 }
command = { type = addcore which = 453 }
command = { type = addcore which = 494 }
command = { type = addcore which = 452 }
command = { type = addcore which = 387 }
command = { type = addcore which = 388 }
command = { type = addcore which = 493 }
command = { type = addcore which = 454 }
command = { type = addcore which = 386 }
command = { type = addcore which = 385 }
command = { type = addcore which = 384 }
command = { type = addcore which = 455 }
command = { type = addcore which = 383 }
command = { type = addcore which = 381 }
command = { type = addcore which = 382 }
command = { type = addcore which = 459 }
command = { type = addcore which = 380 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1865 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1862 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1861 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1863 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1792 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1793 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1794 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1795 }
command = { type = addcore which = 407 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1796 }
command = { type = addcore which = 404 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1803 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1802 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1797 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1798 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1802 }
command = { type = addcore which = 406 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1799 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1800 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1801 }
command = { type = addcore which = 900 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1804 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1808 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1809 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1812 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1821 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1859 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1787 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1788 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1789 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1826 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1825 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1498 }
command = { type = addcore which = 901 }
command = { type = addcore which = 902 }
command = { type = addcore which = 423 }
command = { type = addcore which = 424 }
command = { type = addcore which = 431 }
command = { type = addcore which = 425 }
command = { type = addcore which = 426 }
command = { type = addcore which = 495 }
command = { type = addcore which = 427 }
command = { type = addcore which = 430 }
command = { type = addcore which = 432 }
command = { type = addcore which = 435 }
command = { type = addcore which = 436 }
command = { type = addcore which = 433 }
command = { type = addcore which = 429 }
command = { type = addcore which = 428 }
command = { type = addcore which = 498 }
command = { type = addcore which = 230 }
command = { type = addcore which = 434 }
command = { type = addcore which = 458 }
command = { type = addcore which = 457 }
command = { type = addcore which = 456 }
command = { type = addcore which = 492 }
command = { type = addcore which = 491 }
command = { type = addcore which = 497 }
command = { type = addcore which = 499 }
command = { type = addcore which = 476 }
command = { type = addcore which = 477 }
command = { type = addcore which = 478 }
command = { type = addcore which = 490 }
command = { type = addcore which = 232 }
command = { type = addcore which = 233 }
command = { type = addcore which = 236 }
command = { type = addcore which = 234 }
command = { type = addcore which = 235 }
command = { type = addcore which = 246 }
command = { type = addcore which = 249 }
command = { type = addcore which = 258 }
command = { type = addcore which = 250 }
command = { type = addcore which = 251 }
command = { type = addcore which = 252 }
command = { type = addcore which = 254 }
command = { type = addcore which = 253 }
command = { type = addcore which = 269 }
command = { type = addcore which = 270 }
command = { type = addcore which = 257 }
command = { type = addcore which = 256 }
command = { type = addcore which = 255 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1844 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1849 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1857 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1858 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1907 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1848 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1850 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1856 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1845 }
command = { type = addcore which = 904 }
command = { type = addcore which = 903 }
command = { type = addcore which = 4 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1025 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1024 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1026 }
command = { type = addcore which = 906 }
command = { type = addcore which = 905 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1023 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1027 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1022 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1021 }
command = { type = addcore which = 907 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1020 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1019 }
command = { type = addcore which = 909 }
command = { type = addcore which = 908 }
command = { type = addcore which = 910 }
command = { type = addcore which = 911 }
command = { type = addcore which = 912 }
command = { type = addcore which = 913 }
command = { type = addcore which = 914 }
command = { type = addcore which = 915 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1028 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1030 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1040 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1039 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1033 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1038 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1037 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1036 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1035 }
command = { type = addcore which = 916 }
command = { type = addcore which = 917 }
command = { type = addcore which = 918 }
command = { type = addcore which = 926 }
command = { type = addcore which = 919 }
command = { type = addcore which = 920 }
command = { type = addcore which = 921 }
command = { type = addcore which = 922 }
command = { type = addcore which = 923 }
command = { type = addcore which = 924 }
command = { type = addcore which = 925 }
command = { type = addcore which = 927 }
command = { type = addcore which = 928 }
command = { type = addcore which = 929 }
command = { type = addcore which = 930 }
command = { type = addcore which = 931 }
command = { type = addcore which = 932 }
command = { type = addcore which = 933 }
command = { type = addcore which = 934 }
command = { type = addcore which = 935 }
command = { type = addcore which = 936 }
command = { type = addcore which = 937 }
command = { type = addcore which = 938 }
command = { type = addcore which = 939 }
command = { type = addcore which = 940 }
command = { type = addcore which = 941 }
command = { type = addcore which = 942 }
command = { type = addcore which = 943 }
command = { type = addcore which = 944 }
command = { type = addcore which = 945 }
command = { type = addcore which = 946 }
command = { type = addcore which = 947 }
command = { type = addcore which = 948 }
command = { type = addcore which = 949 }
command = { type = addcore which = 950 }
command = { type = addcore which = 951 }
command = { type = addcore which = 952 }
command = { type = addcore which = 953 }

command = {type = trigger which = 124572 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124573 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124574 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124575 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124576 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124577 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124578 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124579 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124580 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124581 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124582 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124583 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124584 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124585 }
command = {type = trigger which = 124586 }
}
action_b = {
ai_chance = 97

name = "We must not return to the imperialism of the past."
command = { type = dissent value = 1 }
}
}

Also, here is the event that moves the capital to Istanbul.

###################################
##### Return to Istanbul
###################################
event = {
id = 124563
random = no
country = OTT

trigger = {
exists = OTT
event = 124562
}
name = "Capital Moves to Istanbul"
desc = "Soon after the government proclaimed itself the Ottoman Empire, the capital was moved from Ankara to the ancient capital of the old Empire, Istanbul."
style = 0
picture = "military_parade"
date = { day = 08 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 1

action_a = {
ai_chance = 100
name = "The Kaliphs of old would approve."
command = { type = capital which = 409}
}
}