• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(176171)

First Lieutenant
3 Badges
Oct 31, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Rebirth of Laskarid
or one more ByzAARntium Tale

And in the whole world at that moment there was but one Basileus of East and West, the Whole World reunited...
- Theodoros Laskaris
1620s, Alexandria​

Player: Byzantine Empire
Start: 1399.10.14
Settings: Normal and Lucky: Random

The following is my first AAR, and will cover a Byzantine 3.2 (?) game for it's first 100 or so years, following collapse of Ottoman Empire under repeated attacks from all directions, and afterward the wars with Hungary and Mamluke over Danube and Anatolia respectively. It will be a weird mix of historians, historical narrative, and odd bits of gameplay of what was quite a fun game. I'm writing it largely because in one reign, of Zoe II, Anatolia was largely reconquered, a war with Hungary was lost, and then avenged. In case you were wondering things go well.. shock.. horror. Hope you enjoy.

1.State of the Empire and the Latin Wars
2.Reform of the State, Turkish Court and the Wars of Timurids, Magyars, and Bayezid
3.Karamese War, War in Rumelia and Bulgaria
4.Polish-Turkish War or Polish Crusade, War of Austria Sucession
5.State of the Empire and the Trebizondian Regency
6.Bulgarian War

Last edited:
Sounds good. Good luck. :)

JDMS & Zim38 Thank you, hope you enjoy.

Rebirth of Laskarid

Last of the Palaiologos
State of the Empire and the Latin Wars

Empire and surronding major states.

Basileus Manuel II Palaiologos
John (VII) Palaiologos, nephew of Manuel II, presumed heir, briefly Emperor in 1390, controls Selymbria outside Constantinople
Patriarch Matthew since 1397
Despot of Morea Theodore Palaiologos

The city of Constantinople, and some minor thracian villages are all that remains under direct imperial rule, recently ravanged by Bayezid I

Despotate of Morea controls southern Peloponnese surrnended by scattered Venetian fortresses and the Prinicpality of Achea. He has recently resisted an attempt by Bayezid I to invade, the Prince of Achea, Pietro I de Saint-Superan had aided in the attack, but after the turks retreated, was defeated and ransomed for his freedom by Theodore.

Recently as the siege of Constantinople was on going, Jean Le Maingre "Boucicaut", broken through the Turkish blockade with men, and ships to aid in the defence of the city. If Bayezid had struck then they would have been all the west had sent as the city fell to the Turks... Epirus under Esau de' Buondelmonti had been overrun. Morea had survived but only by hiding in the hills of the Peloponnese. And Constantinople shivered behind it's walls.

But then, after the failed Christian "Crusade" of Nicopolis had been completely destroyed in 1936, in Eastern Anatolia a new threat emerged to the Ottoman Empire. Timur, a mere "Emir" who's empire, which would take his name, stretched from Caspian to the Gulf, from India to Tigris, had arrived.

Bayezid's consolidation in Eastern Anatolia had lead minor turkish rulers to flee to the court of Timur for years, and in 1399 he had formed a coalition with the Beys of Karamanoglu and Dulkadiroğlu and began war on the Ottoman Empire and it's slavic and turkish vassals. Bayezid took the threat very seriously, he concluded a truce arbitrarily with the Romans, broke the blockade and siege of Constantinople and gathered his forces for war with Timur.

Boucicaut said to the Basileus, that this was his chance, he must travel west, once more to seek aid, to gather what he could for a new crusade to liberate the empire. Manuel had been to the west more then once before, and all had led to false promises and half hearted or simply disarstous failures. But he had to try. He had to go once more west to beg for what he could for whatever he could get, once more union with Rome, and perhaps further west, to France, Espana, and even far off island of Britannia and the Kingdom of England.

It is said, among peasants, that before he went west to beg once more he was near the docks, and locked out across the sea at some small rock, poking above the water like a drowning man. A turkish pirate in venetian service, it is said, mocked him.. you are nothing but king of that rock..
- George Sphrantzes

In a moment, history had changed..

Who knows what would have happened if Manuel had gone, west, more false promises and idle talk? Perhaps more catastrophic crusades battered before turkish armies. But he did not. He conviced Boucicaut,raising him to Megas Konostaulos, Grand Constable of Constantinople, to join him in an invasion of the islands under the lordship of the latin princes of Naxos. He gathered what merger forces he could, and the french mercenaries, and what ships he could provide, and they had brought. With Bayezid away, the mice would play.

While he was away he would leave his currently appointed heir, his nephew, and the former usper John "VII" Palaiologos as guardian of Constantinople. They boarded the ships, and passed through the gates of Gallipoli during the dead of night to a future unknown.

Latin War

The remainder of the Latin Empire, scattered holdings of Venice, and two princily states. That of Achaea, ruled by Prince Pietro I de Saint-Superan, and the Duke of Naxos, Giacomo I. Also, but far to the east lay the titlular King of Jerusalem, John II in cyprus but such things lay behind us, for the moment. It was an opportune moment to attack. Trade and tribute disagreements among Venice, and her former allies left them in a virtual state of war. Venice in her turn letting loose her pirates apon them, and supporting Turks to do the same. While the mighty Empires of Osman, and Egypt lay distracted with war in the east, with Timur.

Giacomo was not idle to the news of approching ships of and sent his admiral, Demetrios Crispo to Achaea to discuss cordinating an attack. Demetrios met with Pietro I of Achaea and his admiral Dimosthenes Tocco to discuss a plan in August of 1399. Beliving they have time, they agree on the following plan, Naxos will hold out while he invades Morea, Thedore had only a few years ago ransomed him out, and will be unprepared for an attack, they when Morea falls he can relief Naxos if it has not already been, and they can join up and ravage Constantinople's suburbs, and capture what minor islands, and thracian villages remain.

He returns to Naxos to bring the good news to his duke, Giacomo. But it is too late. Chalis and Euboea has been captured in daring raid by Boucicaut , the Megas Konostaulos. And Naxos is otherwise blockaded, and he to is now blockaded in Naxos to, with his men, to speed up the starvation of the Italians. But he does bring some good news, some supplies from the Prince of Achaea, and that he has already invaded and blockaded Mystras himself, where Theodore Palaiologos, the very brother of the Emperor himself is holed up. When it falls, he could be ransomed for peace at worse. With Mystras and Naxos under siege, the slow war of mine, and counter mine, and the creeping work of starvation begin a slow moving race to see which fortress, Naxos or Mystras will fall first.

It is April, the 21st, the next year and Naxos finally succumbs, and surrenders. No major battles, on land or sea, and the Naxosian phase of the war is over. It is two months, not till June, can Manuel finally combine his land forces under Boucicaut, though himself nominally in command and they face a disorganised force of 1000 troops in Achaea, outside his capital of Andravída. But Manuel does not order the siege to begin, they have wiped out one small army they must finish the job in Morea. Pietro I personally commands the siege, but he has left himself exposed and does not realise his reserve in Achaea has been destroyed, let alone wiped out. His small force of 1000 is defeated, and a 1/5 of his force killed or captured, but he manages to retreat to Andravída. In July Manuel II, and Boucicant catuch up with him, and defeat him again, he withdraws behind the walls of Andravída, and siege begins.

Then news reaches Manuel, John II has formed a truce with Venice and Genoa on Cyprus, and disbanded, or released from service the majority of his troops and ships. One bold gamble, appears about to be payed off, will another? Arguments with Boucicaut follow however, and war is declared against John before the siege of Andravida is finished. Needing time to prepare John sends the 1 galley he has off to raid the recent gains in the Cyclades. But Boucicant is sent off with what ships can be mustered and between Crete and Naxos, the 1 lone galley is sunk.

Again April, this time the 16th, and one more Latin state falls, Andravida has caved. Boucicant now leaves the Emperors service, but leaves the men and ships, saying he can not fight even a titular "King of Jerusalem". It falls to Manuel, and his brother Theodore to lead the invasion of Cyprus which begins in August, it is a great battle of miniature proportions. 2000 against 2000, Infantry and Cavalry, but recently raised against Greek and French veterans, the French knights break John's cavalry and the battle is lost, over half is army dead or captured. His army attempts to retreat to the ships seperatly, infantry and cavalry for themsleves, but they are morped up individually in late August one after the other.

Then news reaches him, John II wasn't even in Cyprus! He had taken what troops he could and landed in Naxos, and was laying siege. It looks like he may just be exchanging one Kingdom, for a Dukedom. Manuel raises what fresh troops he can and sails off to relief Naxos. They meet in the cold winter of December, suprised and scattered dug in around Naxos, John the II, King of "Jerusalem" and Cyprus is defeated. In March Nicosia falls and Cyprus is largely in Manuel's hands, the odd minor fortress soon falls, but he hesitates making peace, neogitating with Genoese, and Venetians, not finally settling peace with John till 1405, when he also buys the title of King of Jerusalem off him, vaguely planning to sell it, directly, or onto the Genoese and Venetians to some arrogant western prince.

And Timur's and Bayezid's war in the East?

Latin War
Date 1399.10.14 to 1405.1.4
Location Peloponnese, Aegean Sea, Cyprus, Eastern Mediterranean Sea
Result Destruction of Latin States left in Balkans and Cyprus
Territoial Changes Incorporation of Latin States into Byzantium
Belligerents
Byzantine Empire Principality of Achaea
Duchy of the Archipelago/Naxos
Kingdom of Jerusalem (Cyprus)

Commanders
Manuel II (Byzantine) Pietro I de Saint-Superan (Achaea)
Jean Le Maingre (French Marshal, Boucicaut) Dimosthenes Tocco (Achaean Admiral)
Theodore Palaiologos (Despot) Giacomo I (Naxos)
Demetrios Crispo (Naxosian Admiral)
Janus (Cyprus) (or John II)
Konstantinos Saraceno (Cypriot Admiral)

Strength and assorted Garrisons
4000 Infantry 6000 Soldiers
*1200 French Mercenaries *2000 Achea Infantry
2 Galleys, 2 Cogs *1000 Naxos Infantry
*1000 Cypriot Cavalry
*2000 Cypriot Infantry
1 Cypriot Galley

Casualties and Loses and assorted Garrisons
1100 4000
*1 Galley

Great job. :) Is your next target the Ottomans?

Excellent! Will you post pics/maps now and then? The writing is great and I can visualize the scenes, but I like visuals! :p

Of course, I mean BATTLE pics. You obviously have some maps and pics! :eek:o

I'm currently playing a Roman game. It's quite the exciting experience, a strange mixture of desperation and caution going into every decision being made. Not only are you weak to start, but you have a neighbor that you know would like little more than to eat you alive; and those early gains that you make in the region aren't enough to turn the tide themselves. I look forward to your next post! I think this is the most intriguing starting scenario in Europe, every enemy that you kill only seems to lead to yet another and stronger enemy. I hope you post again soon! =D

JDMS Sort of, but not quite yet, a quick summary of surrounding states while I build my fleet pretty much.

Marco Oliverio Will be sure to next time, for war with the Ottomans.

FelixMajor Yep it is, exceptially the case for me, as later, as you'll see I start to deal with the Ottomans, the ever growing presecense of Hungary makes it self felt, with Tim and Egypt to the east.

Qorten Thanks, hope you enjoy what is to come.

Rebirth of Laskarid

Last of the Palaiologos
Reform of the State, Turkish Court and the Wars of Timurids, Magyars, and Bayezid

In the aftermath of the Latin War, the Roman Empire settled down for a period of peace a reflection. The adminstration was reorganised, a minor Doux of no note, was sent to Naxos and the islands, and his nephew, the former emperor John, was packed off to Cyprus, with the title of Despot of the island.

A quiet peace reached the empire, rivals in distant provinces, it's enemies in bloody wars around it.
- Andreas Choniates

It was in finances, with the aid Suleyman Gazi, his turkish sheriff, nick named scissor hands by thracian peasants, that his most major reform came. He reorganised most land taxes so that a portion would go directly to the churchs, and a smaller portion of that would then go to the state. While apprantly a very minor this ensured a new direct tax base from the very wealthy church lands, and from the distant Despots. It did this by disgusing this taxage through paying for churches, it gave a firm basis to the state economy, and from paying tribute to the Osman Sultans gave the Roman Empire fresh wealth for the first time in years.

Manuel II knew what this wealth was to be spent on. In Constantinople galley production boomed. Furthermore ships were ordered and brought off both Genoa and Venice, temporialy atleast playing them sucessfully off against each other to rebuilt the Roman Navy. But for now Constantinople was firmly in Venice's trading sphere, as the new doge Ludovico Bembo formed an Alliance with Hungary that dominated the Adratic.

And it was at this time that persians arrived in the city in ever greater numbers under Manuel's protection, as mercenaries, as sailors, as traders. And there was appointed a Bishop of Turks, who it was said was not but Bishop of himself, who would become famous...
- Theodoros Laskaris

To boost the dwindling population of Constantinople, many foreigners, including Turks, and even including some rare Christian Turks. Among them, the most famous Shahanshah Hekimoglu and Suleyman Gazi. Suleyman Gazi rose rapidly as a Sheriff of the Emperor, and was important in enforcing the new tax policy in Thrace. Shahanshah in contrast entered the clergy, he rose rapidly and was known for his wise counsel, and appointed in a strange move, Bishop of the Turks of Constantinople. This rapid rise lead to much jealousy, and Manuel II often used him both internally, and to other states, as an important diplomat, to play the thin line between Byzantine strength, and reduce any threat as his restoration of control over the former Latin states. A notably early sucess was allowing Roman ships, and by extension soldiers, in the words of the treaty, within the Wallachian principalities.

Wars of Timurs

"I am not a man of blood; and God is my witness that in all my wars I have never been the aggressor, and that my enemies have always been the authors of their own calamity."
-Tīmūr-e Lang

Problems in Caucasus had distracted Timur and Bayezid had managed to organise his forces and abandon Constantinople sooner then perhaps was thought possible. In August Konya in the Bey of Karaman had fallen to him. But it was in the winter of December when Bayezid and Timur, Bayezid forces took more loses. But Timur fell ill, and was forced to withdraw to his base in Erserum. By February he is dead, but as Bayezid, Temur Qutlugh, a general of Timur has rallied the forces and declared himself Emir. The attack fails. A rapid counter attack and in a 3rd battle near Sivas Bayezid is decisively defeated. Further battles would follow till July when Sivas falls. Days later Bayezid and Temor agree a truce to there bloody conflict, Sivas remaining in Timurid hands. This brief but bloody war had cost 10,000s of lives.

Wars of Sigismund

"I am the Roman Emperor, and am above grammar."
-Sigismund
[1]​

His failure 1396, had left Sigismund weak in the years leading up to 1399, but by then he has gather what forces he can for further war. It is the border states which he believes he needs to secure to begin a second crusade. He crushed the Republic of Ragusa, Principalities of Wallachia and Montengero. His position on the edge of the Ottoman and it's Slavic vassals secure he strikes.

A brief and sudden war Ottoman forces in Balkans are overan, as are Serbia and Bosnian forces. It would be almost a year before Bayezid was back from Syria and Gaza, and by then Hum and Albania have been annexed to Hungary. Sigismund short sharpe victory builds his confidence, but he is distracted from further work to the south, with intrignue to the west and north, he seeks to secure his position, and possibly add the Duchy of Austria to himself, as a possible sucession crisis appears to be brewing.

War of Bayezid

"He who fears losing, will always lose.."
-Bayezid
[2]​

Defeat in Eastern Anatolia had left Bayezid unstable, war with Constantinople seemed likely, but matters elsewhere took ahead. al-Nasr Faraj, Sultan of Mamluk Egypt has become agressive in Arabia. Bayezid calculated that Syria was vulernable and not to far from the Timurid border if needed. In October 1408, Aleppo falls and the invasion of Syria has become in full force. A Mameluk counter attack drives Bayezid from Jerusalem and Damascus but Beruit falls in February of 1410, and by the end of the year he has reorganised and in smaller siege forces, the Mamluk army now back in Gaza, takes Jerusalem and Damascus apprantly securing his supramcy in Syria.

He doesn't sit idly however and he gambles for Gaza, he chases the Mameluk army back and forth across Southern Mediterranean, but diesease and hard battles finally costs him, and when Jerusalem is retaken in his rear, he is trapped and forced to secure a peace. The results is a diaster, and 3 years later the Bey of Kastamon is ocucpied and Sinope is taken over by the Mameluk Sultan in 1413, while Bayezid is still licking his wounds, and from other problems with Hungary.

[1]Supposedly said at Council of Constance, well according to a self feeding internet quote sites. in OTL.
[2]Obscure wikipedia quote, and who am I to argue?

Last edited:
Added some MTW2 battle scenes to liven up the post, especially since I lack picks till Manuel III in about 10 years time. Do say if you enjoy them.

Enewald Yep, it's always fun in my HTTT games having them come along.

Rebirth of Laskarid

Last of the Palaiologos
Karamese War, War in Rumelia and Bulgaria

In June 1411, Hungary declared war on Ottomans, Serbia and Bosnia. With Bayezid and his great army starving in Gaza, Manuel II knew the moment was now. It would still take 2 more months, till August he declared war. But not on the Ottomans, instead he chose the Bey of Karaman, who would face a threat from his fleet, as his overlord, Bayezid from Gaza send word for what troops he had to join, delayed in the Aegean, the fleet returned to reinforce and block the Marmara. Manuel was confidant, with Hungary in Bosnia and Serbia, and the majority of Ottoman army trudging back across Syria, let alone would they be able cross the Dardanelles? In one movement it seemed it seemed the fortress of Bulgaria and Rumelia were trapped alone.

In September the first attack began, it was not Roman, but Persian. It took just 2 small fleets of transports of the Bey of Karaman to land in Morea for the balance of the war to change. Led by Mahmûd I, the bey himself, they rampaged through the former territory of Achaea, finally laying siege to the fortress of Andravída. A small poorly led 2000 infantry tried almost instantly to break the siege, but Mahmud smashed aside easily this weak attack. This first attack was followed up with 2 offensives in October, a poorly led cavalry offensive of 2000 was beaten off with similar loses on boths sides. Near end of month a second infantry of 2000, was again beaten back.

Strategos and Despot, Theodore Palaiologos gives a speech as his forces prepare for battle.

Theodore Palaiologos, Despot of Morea, held back in November as he gathered his forces for a 4th attempt to break Mahmûd's siege. Mahmûd had recruited what local mercianies he could to replenish his forces, but in December Theodore led his forces, now 4,000 in strength combined, 2,000 infantry and 2,000 cavalry, the infantry drew Mahmûd into a risky opening charge, and Theodore led his cavalry into the flank and Mahmûd's force was broken. He fled across the Gulf of Corinth.

Freshly raised Turkish cavalry levies.

On 6th February near the Castle of Salona Theodore caught up again with what pitful forces of Mahmûd and broken what few hundred horsemen remained. He left 2000 Infantry to begin the siege of Salona, before moving onto Larissa, while his 4,000 forces moved on to Thessalonica, and Macedonia. The Ottomans in Macedonia, as in Bulgaria and elsewhere were doing what they could with what they had, a fresh levy of 1,000 cavalry. They were finally formed up on 2nd March, but on 5th Theodore forces arrived and wiped them out.

You say you serve the Sultan of Edirne. But it is Roman armies who stand between you and Edirne, it is a Roman messenger who stands before you. It is a Persian who serves Romans, not Edirne who stands before you. If the mighty Bayezid requires your aid, he will ask for it.
- Shahanshah Hekimoglu

April was a busy month for all. Dyrrhachion, the last Albanian fortress left fell, and with nothing left Hungary signed a peace with the Turks, for their gains in Hum, and Albania. While in Thrace, Manuel II had swept through the Ottomans forts and was overunning southern Buglaria, blocking and sieging Varna and Burgas. This rabid sucess led Manuel to order Theodore to split his forces and enforce the turks trapped in their scattered fortresses. Finally Shahanshah was sent to the slavic vassals, as a Orthodox Christian, and a Turk, as Manuel captured what messangers he could to ensure they got no orders for war.

May began with the fall of Varna, and Burgas neutralised. But the month was quiet as Manuel took the rest of his army into thracian cost, blockading Gallipolan ports, Kallipolis being his focus, while near the Rhodope Mountains Koumoutsinas was his focus, surrunding and cutting off the Turkish capital Edirne. The tired and endless work of siege, of rams, of assaults, starvation, and especially of mine and counter mine dominated the rest May and June. The Roman sieges could not be broken but Koumoutsinas did fall in to Manuel's hands finally as late June began to turn.

Battle outside Thessalonica between rival cavalry.

In July the mining continued till 14th when Kallipolis fell, forcing Edirne's province into Manuel's hands, and the city's garrison trapped inside. Turkish ships fled into the Marmara where a war of movement and raids was about to begin. Furthermore the Castle at Salona had fallen and the all out siege of Larissa was about to begin. A seperate force was sweeping through Epirus from the north, defeating Turkish infantry a driving them into Larissa area, and capturing Ioannina. They moved onto Arta which they laid siege to. Meanwhile a second Turkish cavalry raid attacked the 1000 Cavalry blockading Thessalonica, but were decisively beaten back, at loses of 99 to 245.

August began quietly but on the 12th the 600 Infantry from Ioannina arrived outside Larrisa but were beaten off with heavy loses, and no loses for the Romans. Meanwhile a Roman cavalry group had arrived first outside Nis in Bulgaria and destroyed the retreating cavalry from Thessalonica completey. Only the Turkish garrisons in Northern Bulgaria remained in principle free, but they were facing Roman sieges to south, and possible Hungarian, Polish or Wallachian raids to north. The month ended with the retreating Turkish infantry now only 430 in number arriving outside Thessalonica but they were finally wiped out or captured, and used as workers on small mining operations to take the city.

No further sucess occured, as the mine war dragged on, but sucess began to appear in the last months of the year. In October, Larissa and Atra fell, bringing Central Rumelia into Roman control. And near the end of November Edessa north of Thessalonica securing the Roman siege. But they kept quiet and dug in for the new year.

While at sea in the straits the raging battle was finally dragging to a bloody conclusion. The core Roman fleet of 14 Galleyys and 2 cogs had defeated the 12 Galleys of the Ottomand fleet which was now retreating to the Asia coast. But at heavy loses to both sides, the Ottomans had lost 11, almost all their galleys, but the Romans themselves had lost 7, half of theirs. Days later Nis fell into Roman hands, and the Mameluk Sultan of Egypt, al-Nasr Faraj had taken Sinope from the Kastamon Bey, while being at peace with Ottomans. A diplomatic crisis for Bayezid.

By the a single piece of paper I return more to the Ottomans then all the Turkish generals of Rumelia.
- Shahanshah Yemisçi

Shahanshah Yemisçi was an Ottoman general sent to negotiate peace with the Romans, the arguments ranged through out February. On the 5th March at Koumoutsinas, a treaty was agreeded. The towns and fortress, including Koumoutsinas, around Burgas, Thessalonica, and Edirne itself would be returned to the Ottomans, and the Central Rumelian gains would be retained.

Next time: As Roman Empire enjoys a period of peace we head north to look at the epic War of Austrian Succesion.

Karamese War
Date 1411.8.1 to 1413.3.5
Location Rumelia, Aegean Sea, Sea of Marmara
Result Defeat of Ottoman and Karamans
Territoial Changes Central Rumelia to Roman Empire
Belligerents
Roman Empire Ottoman Empire
Bey of Karaman

Commanders
Manuel II (Byzantine) Bayezid
Theodore Mahmûd I (Karaman)

10000 Soldiers 30000 Soldiers
*5000 in action
*3000 (Karaman)

14 Galleys, 2 Cogs 12 Galleys
2 Cogs (Karaman)

Casualties and Loses and assorted Garrisons
2000 4800
7 Galleys *11 Galleys

Last edited:
Good update. I like the pictures. :D

Hmm, when I tried playing Byzantines, I was successful in taking over the Latin provinces. However, by that time (around 1405), Ottomans had beaten all their eastern enemies while consolidating Southern Anatolia and swamped me with hordes of troops, about 4:1 ratio (Ottomans : Greeks).

Enewald Ah just Larissa and Janina. I believe as I couldn't invade Anatolia.

JDMS Thanks. :) I shall continue you with them where appropriate.

Slaists An Ottoman invasion of Mameluks was main reason for my sucess, and with a strong fleet control of the straights. Not to mention while Bayezid was kicking arse in Gaza, Hungary invaded.

Rebirth of Laskarid

Last of the Palaiologos
Polish-Turkish War or Polish Crusade, War of Austria Sucession

The years between the end of the Karamese War in 1413 and the beginning of Poland's crusade in 1418 had been quiet ones. Other then the alliance between Constantinople and Krakow, negotiated by the dominant Bishop, and Logothete to Megas Doux, Hekimoglu. It's neighbours had not been quiet however, Hungary had incoperated Transylvania, and Ottomans Mus, before Bayezid himself died on 6th December 1414. In distant Naples Achille I was reforming the state for wars yet to pass, and the Timurids were engaged in bloody war in Georgian and Armenian mountains.

It had been the accession of Stanislaw I in 1416 which had been the decisive event for Poland. He had formed the Polish-Roman, and Polish-Wallachian Alliance which would dominant future events. And in 1418 he had his eye on the prize of more Black Sea coast line. Budjak and Moldavia had already been captured and he saw forming a direct link, perhaps all the way to Constantinople. But he did not turn idly, he gather support from Lithaniuna, which had only lately been in Union with Poland under the former King of Poland, his uncle Jan I Kazimierz, Moscovy, and of course his allies in Wallachia and Rhomania. This grand coalition, would form the Polish Crusade of 1418. In May Poland would declare war and begin the invasion. But situations were moving fast elsewhere.

Albrecht IV the Archduke of Austria was dying. He had no direct heir. Sigismund, King of Hungary was the most likely candidate. But, Stanislaw, King of Poland also had a claim, though his uncle the former great King and Grand Duke. And with his grand coalition gathered for war with the Turks, he believed he had strong allies to support his claim. On the 8th June word finally reached Stanislaw of the death of Albert and support of Austria Regents for Hungary, he declared war. And thus began the War of Austrian Sucession.

Poland-Hungary at the start of the war.

But Poland's coalition collapsed before it had even begin. The Roman Emperor Manuel II, felt insulted, and was persuaded by his advisor, Shahanshah that there was already to much on their plate and conquering Turkish Bulgaria and then invade Hungary would be a deed too far. So he sent a ambassdor refirming his commitment to war in lands of the Ottomans, but he couldn't spare resources for war with Hungary. His cousin Stanislovas I, the Grand Duke felt insulted and refused to sent support he has problems elsewhere. Moscovy simple dismissed the request it would've gone on crusade not meddle in German politics. In fact, only Mircea I, Prince of Wallachia promised his support hopeing for a rearguard attack into Transylania.

And so, at the beginning of July Stanislaw I launched his 2nd army into Ersekujvar in northern Hungary defeating the light Hungarians forces and laying siege. Opening sucess is reversed tramatically with a larger Hungarian army driving the Polish army outside Ersekujvar straight back into Poland. Further, a light raid into Bohemian Silesia but were dramaticly beaten back by running into a massive Bohemian army near Breslau. But Jobst II, Margrave of Brandenberg lays siege to Pozan and beginning the invasion of northern Poland. September began with the fall of Pozan, the first sucessful major siege of the war. A Polish force moved south breaking a small Hun siege force near Budjak while a massive Hungary army routed a Polish force in Ruthenia.

The year grinds down with Venetian offensive and siege works around Kaliaz, near Lublin, a massive defeat for Poland, a failed Hun raid into Wallachia. On the Bohemia Silesian border a Polish raid is knocked back a a Bohemian army sweaps into Sieradz driving out a only slightly smaller Polish army, and laying siege. After all this defeats Silistria finally falls making the first major fortress gain in the Polish Crusade. But Stanislaw abandons his gains for the Duchy of Austria and forces his allies, including the Romans into a truce with the Turks.

Poland-Hungary at the beginning of 1419.

Bad news follows as Sieradz falls to Bohemian King Fridrich I Falcký, Poland begins to appear to collapse. Hungary again fails to raid Wallachia, and again a Polish army is defeat near Lublin. And Bessarabia falls in depths of december, finishing off Moldavian Polandish territories, and trapping the Polish crusader army completely in the south. Stanislaw gamble appears to be falling all around him, siegies in the north, a massive Hungarian army in the heart of Poland, and the main Polish army trapped in Bulgaria.

Disasters continue for the King of Poland, Kalisz falls to Venice, as Venice begins it's massive siege operations in the north, and Ruthinenia falls to Hungary as it's army marches north. Wallachia attempts to counter raid for the first time but is a disaster in the Carpathia mountains. Then Danzig falls, and Venitian fleet, including an unknown Turkish pirate destroys fleeing Polish transport ships.

Stanislaw I rallies his Crusaders and charges into Wallachia and in the first major Polish victory, a huge battle involing almost 15,000 on both sides, a combined Wallachian-Polish army defeats a Hungarian-Venetian one. Just as good news continues, with a further failed Hun raid into Wallachia around Oltenia, Krakow falls. The Venetian cannons had been banging away for months, and were demonstrating their decisiveness. And Budjak falls, another fortress gone, to Hungary.

Poland and Hungary engage in a bloody battle near Vistula.

Summer continued with a minor Polish victory under new general, Geraldine Somerville Karol Ferdynand Jablonowski. Then Plock falls, but within the month, Karol has negotiated with Margrave Jobst, Brandenberg leaves the war in peace. Karol followed up with Major victory near Sandomierz over a combined Venetian-Hungarian army, but with far heavy loses, over 10,000 over half the army. Stanislaw followed leading combined Wallachian-Polish army, but starvation is taking it's toll and a raid into Banat is a disaster. Ferdynand Jablonowski continued with defeating the light Venetians guard outside Krakow and laying siege. But in the north the Warmia and Plock now fall to Venice's heavy siege guns. From Krakow Karol negotiates a further truce with Bohemia, but as the year ends the Polish-Wallachian army is beaten back and forth and finally destroyed, Stanislaw fleeing north back to Poland.

Poland-Hungary at the beginning of 1420.

The barricades of Krakow falls as Poland retakes the city, but Sigismund leads the Hungarian army to defeat the Polish army out numbered by 2 to 1. In February Lublin falls and Krakow falls again to Hungary, but Sigismund dies in the fighting in. And the leading general Károly Lackovic in overall command and as regent for the young king Ulászló. If but a year earlier while Karol was sucessful negotiating this might mean something, but with Stanislaw out in the wilderness retreating home, and southern Poland occupied by Hungary, and north by Venice this apprenant sucess for a sucession war meant nothing.

Poland-Hungary at the end of the war.

Peace of Karols, thus Poland fell to all grabbing hands.
Boleslaw Kurozwecki
President of Lublin Republic

As the year goes on it is largely a list of fallen Polish fortresses. Pozan to Austrian general Ferdinand von Kapfenberg, Sierdaz to Venice, Wallachia to Hungary, and finally Sandomierz to to Hungary. Stanislaw orders Karol to make peace with the Hun Regeant, Károly Lackovic.

The final peace.

Austrian Sucession War
Date 1418.6.8 to 1420.8.4
Location Poland, Hungary, Wallachia
Result Hungary-Austria Union
Territoial Changes South East Poland to Hungary
Belligerents
Poland Hungary
Wallachia Austria
Venice
Brandenberg
Bohemia

Commanders
Stanislaw I (Poland) Zsigmond I (Hungary)
Karol Ferdynand Jablonowski (Polish General) Károly Lackovic (1420.2.26, Hungarian Regent for Ulászló I)
Mircea I (Wallachian Prince) Pietro Dolfin (Doge of Venice)
Leon Duca (Wallachian General) Fridrich I Falcký (Bohemia)
Jobst II (Brandenberg)
Ferdinand von Kapfenberg (Austrian General)

40,000 70,0000
*5k Wallachians *20k Bohemians
2 Transports *8k Brandenberg
17 Warships (Venice)

Enewald & JDMS Poland survives as a republic, as I'll show later as Krakow, and has some limited sucess around Danzig.

Rebirth of Laskarid

Last of the Palaiologos, A Laskaris By Any Other Name
State of the Empire and the Trebizondian Regency

Basileus Manuel III Palaiologos
Megas Doux Philemon Sungur, Regent
Patriarch Joseph II
Megas Domestikos John Laskaris
Logothete to Megas Doux Shahanshah Hekimoglu

Roman Empire, and nearby states.​

It's March 1417, and Theodore Palaiologos, the great general of Karamese War, Despot of Morea, has died. Behind him, he has left 3 sons, Thomas, Manuel, and Theodoros. They arrive in Constantinople, and are adopted by their uncle the Emperor, Manuel II, and he took a shine to his name sake. Flattery, and sycophancy from Bishop Hekimoglu encouraged Manuel II to nominate the second son, Manuel to be his heir. In Novemeber 1419 as he fell ill and began to die, a Regency of Philemon Sungur, an exiled Trebizond admiral, the Patriarch of Constantinople, Joseph II and the Grand Domestic and head of the army, John Laskaris. On 16th Decemeber Manuel II died, and the reign of Manuel III, and by proxy this Council came to power.

Sungur, appointed Megas Doux, had already taken as an aid, the Bishop Shahanshah Hekimoglu as his personal Logothete and assistant. Through him, Shahansha exercised considerable power. He appointed his ally, and fellow turk, Suleyman Gazi to title of Logothete of the Course, in control in a lot of offical communication with other states. Now with influence in two of the most powerful positions of state, Shahanshah began to redirect the policy towards Hungary.

At this point, while not yet completely down, Poland was been slowly crushed. The result, inheritance of Austria, by the future king of Hungary, and therefore relations with Hungary should be improved. A letter of recognition of the new hungarian Archduke of Austria, and congratulations, with it an embassy was organised, to further clarify the Albania/Epirus border between the two states.

Constantinople had once been a city of over a million souls. Now it was barely 80,000 lived within it's decayed walls. Throughout the city, lay scattered villages some still occupied but most, empty, silent, and ruined. In one such shadow filled village..

"Hail."
"Hail."
A 3rd man, slightly taller then the others, nods. It is early evening, and among the ancient ruins of Constantinople 3 men meet.
"4 weeks from now Thomas Palaiologos will come of age, 2 years before Manuel."
The 2nd man does not answer, instead he looks at the 3rd. The first smiles.
"He is.. Alauddin Cerrah, a Persian, now in the service of the Domestikos Laskaris, he will be crucial in giving us acess to the Palace."
2nd and 3rd nod at each other.

"Now, to the matter at hand, with Thomas of age, a rival to Manuel, and thus to the Regency will become available, and with it goes the Doux, and the Bishop.
The 2nd man grins.

Megas Domestikos Ioannes Laskaris, head of the army of Roman Empire, and a member of the Regency of Manuel III, looks out at the early morning below him and smiles. Outside the window, in the court yard, the busy work of the byzantine bureaucracy was at work. A knock at the door.
"The Lochagos Cerrah, is here to see you sir."
John Laskaris nods, and returns to his view at the window.

2 Days laters, the Regency Council sits in a room in the Porphyrogenitus.
The Grand Domestic, finishs with the swift arrest of the conspirators.
"But no evidence, links the young Prince, the Basileus' brother to them. They appear to have intended to use as a mere puppet, to their own ends."
"That does not remove the threat. He could become the rallying point for other dangerous elements, and will only continue as his birthday approaches."
Laskris nods at the Doux. The Patriarch scratchs his head.
"Perhaps.. Perhaps he could be sent elsewhere, on some task or the other."
The Grand Domestic pauses.
"But his father was Despot of Morea, and conquered Larrisa, he could or others could still rally round him their, as his father's rightful heir atleast, if not.."
Across from him, the Patriarch simply shakes his head.
"I mean, on some diplomatic mission, perhaps to Venice, or Rome, a Prince of the Romans will command respect and we can others to sort out any details with the Pope or Doge."
Philemon perks up.
"Such a deal will take time to organise, and will require the personal confirmation of the young Emperor among other formalities."
The mouth of John Laskaris draws out slowly, his eyes twinkle.
"I have already acquired confirmation for a diplomat to be sent to Bohemia, a possible marriage with the King's young daughter is in the offering. And along the way he can stop off at Pecs to pay honour apon the young Archduke of Austria, and discuss matters with his regents. And this will not require anyone else to know he has left the city before it is too late."
The words what Bishop Hekimoglu does not know can not hurt him bounce contentedly around the mind of John Laskaris.

Over a month later, the winds bite heavily through the Albanian mountains.
"I did not quite expect to be spending my birthday among here."
Alauddin Cerrah, chuckles lightly and turns to face the young prince.
"Then it is a happy day for us both, my son is now 1 years old."
"Ah, I think I heard of some Persian or Vlachian boy adopted by.."
Cerrah nods.
"He was adopted by the Megas Domestikos John Laskaris, and my wife taken into his household, should I not return safely from this trip, he shall protect them."
"Encouraging Lochagos."
Laughter tickles out from Alauddin again. He looks out at the road ahead, and communicates to the cavalry and carts behind them to continue the pace.
"Not long now to will enter Montenegro."
"Is that not what the Italians call the place? Is it true you served with the Venetians?"
"In the Polish War, as a navigator, and soldier. Do you know much of the Polish War?"
Thomas shakes his head. And Alauddin begins.

Manuel II's expansion of state, territory, army and fleet had not been cheap. And in 1420, an Ottoman Pretender Suleyman Okuz, had been secretly supported and he had captured Bursa. Not only had this been expensive, but the coinage had also had to been debased. To correct the finances, Shahanshah had requested to found an Italian style bank. The Megas Doux Philemon Sungur eventually got the Grand Domestic and Patriarch to agree, mainly through concentions that the first loan will be focused on rebuilding churchs through Konstantinopolis, and Thrace. His ally Suleyman Gazi was placed at it's head, but he controlled it, and built it with the aid of Italian advisors.

Next he raised more money and supplied a second rebellion in the Ottoman Empire, under Aleksander, as a rebel Bulgarian Tsar in Nis. This rebellion would last untill 1423, before being finally crushed by Osman II. Aleksander had been a good administrator, but a terrible general and with minimal resources even with Roman money. 2 months later Manuel III reached the age of 15.

Thracian Temples, which were began to be repaired, and rebuilt during the Regency.

On 25th September, in Agia Sophia, Manuel Palaiologos is covered in purple robes and anointed.