• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rebirth
  • Rebirth

I am Lars Turenidi. I am an immortal. Yes, in time, my body will grow old and feeble. I will lost sight and cannot stand straight. I might be even killed in a battle or disease may take me. Though, all this is but my mortal shell. One day, i shall return. I shall walk the streets of Vesnth, walk up the sacred mountain, to the temple of Voltumna. And then, looking at my beloved city, i shall remember.

Remember this very moment, when i picked up the stylus, and decided to start writing. Remember by childhood, when i grew up in Vesnth. Remember my childhoods before. Remember me, holding a spear, standing in line with my fellow citizens, sweating in fear, watching as the Romans approach and the screams of terrified soldiers as the Etruscan and Samnites were defeated by them. Remember running for my life. Remember my first love. And other first loves of all the other mes. Don’t ask, this is personal. Remember my first sip of wine and my last breath.

Then, i shall watch the ancient city of Vesnth and feel my past lives flow through me. And I thank the Goddess, kneeling in the dusty stairs. Then, I shall rise up, walk to the temple and tell the priests. “Open up the gates, I have arrived”. And they shall kneel before me, no matter what rags i wear, no matter how poor or dishevelled i look. They shall wash my feet, they shall feed me, they shall bathe me, and they shall cover my body with fine linen, for i have returned. For I am the favourite of Voltumna

After that, I shall walk to my tomb. Look at the brightly colored frescoes, depicting my previous life. Images of me feasting, hunting, warring. And then, I shall look at my sarcophagus. With me, all alone in the cover. And i realize that there is a price to pay for my immortality. I shall be alone. Alone in life, alone in death. And I shall kneel before my remains and cry the bitter tears of immortality. As I have done again and again. As I will do in the future.

If anyone ever reads what I have written, them I am certain that you are confused, but have a basic grasp of who I am. This is but an introduction though, for there is one thing I am not. Important. I do not lead the nation. I do not hold political power, nor do i lead armies, steer ships or rule over hearts and minds of men. I simply am, for the Goddess has willed so. This story is not about me. This is about Etruscans, or Rasenna, as we call ourselves.

It was the day before. At around the noon, when an indescribable sound, like a thousand trumpets, pierced the cloudless sky, forcing everyone to their knees. It pierced the hearts of men, woman and children alike, making everyone cry in anguish.

It ushered the end of an era. For this sound will be heard only once in the one’s lifetime. It means that all who last heard it are dead and none among the living shall hear it again. It meant that the old Year of the Gods had ended and a new begun, new in deeds, new in customs, new in thought.

For Etruscans, this spelt the end. For Gods have granted the Etruscan twelve cities twelve Years of the Gods, and this was the twelfth. The ancient prophecy, passed down since the Etruscans were taking their very first steps in Italia. For we are an old nation, having lived in our beautiful hill cities since time immeasurable. When the Rome was but several villages of mud huts, each encompassing one hill, we had stone cities and sanitation and wealth and culture and cool shade on these summer months. And now, with the new Year of the Gods, we shall end.

As people grow old and feeble, so do nations. New, younger ones will compete, while we slowly wither away. Our cities will burn, our men die in hopeless battles, our women and children cry in slavery. This is the way of this world, as cruel and unforgiving as it might be. It has been such since the ancient times and will continue to be so in the future.

The sense of impending doom filled the streets of Vesnth yesterday. No laughter, no singing. We looked at our beautiful city in silence, looked at the countryside and imagined it all in ruins. Or on fire, with the enemy breaching our walls and bringing death or misery to all within. It was not a happy day. Despite the sun shining and making everything golden with her rays, I felt a chill down my spine and felt gloom. As did everyone in our city. As did everyone in all the cities and villages of the Etruscans.

It was I who gave them hope again. Not because of what I did, but because of who I am. For that is also way of the people. They cling to hope, even in the utmost darkness. If there is a chance, they will take it. Even if the chances are slim. I love them for that.

“It is the end of 12 cities of Etruscans,” bellowed Elbio Vulturreno. “New era shall begin. With new thinking, with new customs, with new deeds and thoughts.”

People gazed up on him. Elbio Vulturreno. The ruler of Vatluna. The greatest of the 12 cities. My friend. He had climbed up to the podium of the temple of Voltumna. It was already nightfall. Few lights were flickering in the city below, as the people had gathered to the temple to pray. Not just citizens of Volsini, but from the other 11 cities of Etruscans. For the temple of Voltumna was where the 12 cities gather, and for the time was for the meeting when the Gods announced our doom.

Despite the people, the mountain was engulfed silence, where sudden suppressed weep came out as thunderous. Never have I seen so many people and such silence. Even the creatures of the night stayed away from the holy mountain, leaving us humans to our misery.

The voice of Elbio Vulturreno cut the silence like a well-aimed ram cuts through the enemy trireme. The sound of the crash, as the ram ploughs herself through the thick wooden planks with full force of the ship. The screaming of men as the ship starts to sink, trying to take her passengers to the watery grave. Startled, everyone looked up, only to see the figure of Elbio Vulturreno, only moon lighting his face in the darkness.

“The once mighty Etruscans shall wither away and die,” he continued, now enjoying the full attention of the audience. “Yet,” he continued, making a dramatic pause and then, pointing at me, sitting in the front row.

“Death is familiar to him,” he said. As the people looked at me, I felt discomfort. My friend, not r caring, continued. “Lars Turenidi had died. From old age. From disease. From cold iron. Yet, here he is. Always does he come back, and always does he find way to the arms of Voltumna.”

Though I was common knowledge, the people still stared and slowly moved away from me, giving me a circle in the crowd. Once again, i realized that the life of immortal is a lonely one.

“Times are changing indeed,” he continued. “The Rome in the south is growing stronger, while we are getting weaker. As the priests said it, the time of 12 cities of Etruscans is over. And I say- let it be over!”

With that statement, the last curious eyes left me alone, concentrating on Elbio Vulturreno.

“Let them die!” Elbio Vulturreno was now enjoying the full attention of everyone. “For we deserve to die. We are like oxen, pulling plough in different direction. We are like sheep, squabbling amongst ourselves, while the wolves gather in the woods. We are like mice, playing blindly in the grass, while an eagle approaches from above.”

The silence of the crowd became thick enough you could cut it with a knife.

“Let them die!” Elbio Vulturreno continued. “Let them die, for they have lived past their age. Let them die, for the Gods told them to! Let the old ways and the old systems fall. But let us emerge from the ashes and, in rebirth, become stronger and wiser! Let the twelve cities die and let us be reborn as a single nation, of single purpose!”

“Divided, we fall. United, we rise!” the voice of Elbio Vulturreno, risen now to volume that seemed beyond human capacity, filled the entire Fanum Voltumnae. “Let us cast aside our differences, and stand against the world”

He gazed at me again. “My friend Lars Turenidi, the immortal. Are you with me?”

So enticing were his words. So promising seemed his concept. So dreadful seemed the alternative. So, without hesitation, I rose. He held out his hand and pulled me next to him. Then, as the crowd started cheering, he embraced me, yelling “Thank you, my friend” to my ear.

Next to me, rulers of Tarchuona, Velcal, Sena and Velathera climbed up and joined Elbio Vulturreno. With a bit of a hesitation, the others followed suit. Tlesna Fulu, the ruler of Vesnth, being the last.

The Gods were right. That night, the twelve cities of Etruscans died. Sooner then anyone could expect. Makes you wonder. Did the prophecy became true because the Gods willed so? Or did the prophecy fulfill itself simply because it existed and enough people wanted to believe it?

From the ashes, Etruscan League rose. More then a loose alliance between cities. Less then a nation. Born out of desperation, in order to avert the incoming doom. In the North, skies darkened and clouds gathered, and soon, lightning pierced the skies. Again again, lighting the night sky bright and filling the air with roar of thunder. Thus, the Gods showed their approval. It is now up to humans to be worthy of that approval.

• 1Like
    Reactions:
    The Etruscans
  • The Etruscans

I had left my car in a gas station a few kilometers back and decided to walk. Now, I am not sure why. Mixture of feelings, I guess. Perhaps I wanted to imagine myself as an Etruscan grunt, holding a spear in my hand and feeling the weight of my armour, as I march in line with the others, returning from a successful war, joking and singing. Or it was just that the sun and the summer of Tuscany seemed tempting enough from the comfort of my air-conditioned car that I decided to take a stroll. I just knew, when I stopped at the gas station, smoking and gazing at the hilltop city of Vetulonia, that i wanted to walk.

BVdRaqnE1VOQjmp-rN3B5ww5GEuvplYjZxSSxHCjV-eCHxHeCLPHcmdUvxKdMbfu_YPTzFvUylbBTXheVrg_uS0njYSuMveyoi-UPYFIFPOld-3A8j2zB8vQE0BwvoMYSSmVNMkUR7pd7d3qauSWAm0dUMFATkuurOyz7QeWW_lCThDDoymsrEsi8D5IKcfkDxmVRIYvc7QWB4K-WxvzZF05lb7cKbiKuxKpXv1KmE78lXeJnvNZUJpvtxI188kqySfvg8xpVBHLTEtt8vhPpS5EwwI83kImHR2ht-OYrJ7tuOUYIcNtA6pBpyMupRPBFN4DdfeFqMxzb7DfKa2gj9AYWO2mqHKKi3RP7hd_ec4H5tIvuwS7JyeODDj7II6ZjyYU161-_4N87nHn73GbuV59mmIuCplu2DgU-Yt6ARtmtaYNBQpm5zitjgoj9tNZKeQj9TcaioXoTux6SxEAUhJpxaGhZmnXm7B-_2jPDcChI--Ln9DDyWZ_Qdocm0ngc5LZCs52YurGntFRYFoxxIZjocrdsAyou0NH2vsauW0IjGc655htd1MznZ78Hmng0TTTbgjXYxHpTnAQDv_QeUGgDOsEimd-vCEQMVf_6g53f-bA1R3kdJMY68hfn7YZ2LgHuExte7G8_EVmgxeoEoXtcnsRpWrm47wjcj8er1SoYONDMKUPJKEucXBleVuXiTxBBigk9Y_1435s4Q=w900-h600-no

Modern-day Vetulonia

So I did. I put out the cigarette and turned to long and winding road, heading uphill. Now, about halfway up. Let us just say that sometimes it is not easy to admit to myself that I am not an ancient Etruscan soldier, but an ordinary bookworm who should not have worn a pair of brand new fine Italian leather shoes I bought yesterday evening from Firenze. My feet were killing me. Plus, the sun. It is easy to forget that without air-conditioning, the Tuscan sun can be brutal.

Time for a break. The cypress trees decorating the roadside looked as tempting as the road looked unpleasant. So, I removed by shoes (and noticed a small impint in them- Made in China. Authentic Italian craftsmanship my ass), let my feet feel the dusty Tuscan grass and sat down, leaning against the cypress, trying to get as much shade as possible. I opened by backpack and pulled out a book that caught my eye in gas station. “Rebirth of the Etruscans”, by some local author and opened it at random.

“There is always some truth in legends,” the paragraph started. “Just more often than not, the original message is mired in mythology. Take them mysterious Etruscan God-Years for example. 12 God-Years granted for 12 Etruscan cities. At first glance, a modern man will dismiss it as a hogwash. Examining more closely though, and calculating an average God-Year to be 50 years, we shall get from 300 BC to 900 BC, consistent with archeological record of Villanova culture, the first “civilization” in Italy. Also, looking at the decline of the Etruscan civilization for a few centuries before 300 BC, there is a good chance that this part of the legend just symbolizes the rise and fall of the Etruscans. Or at least, the predicted fall.

As for the story of Elbio Vulturreno, the truth can be much more simple. Seeing as the Etruscans, along with the Samnites, just lost what we know to be a second Samnite war. Rome was now the power in Italy. The Republic was stronger then ever- and the other nations were on decline. The logical thing to do would be to forget and forgive past differences and join forces. Instead of one fateful night in Vesnth though, the process was most likely gradual, with cities joining forces not out of omens and oratory power, but from desperation and hope to avoid impending doom.

The Lars Turenidi part- that is most likely hogwash.

By 450 AVC, as I shall be switching over to Roman calendar, as is customary these days, the Etruscan League had been formalized. Elbio Vulturreno, the ruler of Vatluna, was in charge. More or less. His power was far from absolute though. The young League was still taking baby steps, and alliances formed within alliances. Beside Elbio, there were three more rulers who were, de facto, co-rulers. All of them had their own armies, and in the future, they will shape the Etruria, while as usual, trying to get as much power to themselves as possible.

iJ4ZeK8-didsGx-55HZRpS-IRBqMW3ZaMjTJ-Q4y78g8omLd9aliaipwz42bSdvG0M8RyRbTQauC8WJVgGqkAm06EzrwqZGlf7z55rWb0IzyoqnFtl3v5bdJPApuBdfxzsr2sjDyQpFy1d6It81KPkV7tELO_W9xC4HPYLjSRYZO5aBuk9kqCdsX525n8mjmCyjig0uVoxCSd2fzGRXaWSYwbC2HkK7wq7N8Cyk-dIgoiyC834DGeEDJ1pO851sxS9fV2qLIfCCz8lW4VpHYgWvD4zNEJXGpeJ-tp1ANYcxthH66Qx4GyFF4jUuPXAcB03_2vDqWGi4g2ZpLXLjXvtRol7oXao9vMDK74xCvui50YutOEC4mxvjt9vSPa4VxWMDY1dht9pvwKO0qYq52puaXBzqwFuK3o-kUgcnp05LLXzFkbO5fGIqXtimLOwRppgSok_CHKnnJ-UIvnQ7nv9pa49fbc4rGu35gT4Jzp2VfZ6kMfseIr2sapJFW45DURL_je1XqbBp3apFsE3oZuemSBPwPot85BTHIFRT_fMdMk90ij6GQ7qWrpk9z6p2nNxznpKgwsCmikhdhTobdTYN_suzX9yem5EJc6W4vRDAplo0vBmIOpfDZIzAYIv28PgXwdAIT0SQTl-shykcqmIxqr2MSdAXpY3jasPghMklhL1hu6wcbiKwrYnqaTgSBfofoOaHK83ZkvW-Jow=w1475-h700-no

The leadership of the Etruscans

Tiberius Alienus, Ceisie Latni and Menandros Sostarid. Still rulers of their own cities, but now also commanding the part of Etruscan armies, loyal to them and them alone. They were not the man who could be ignored. Elbio at the top, three of them to keep him in check, for tyrant was the last thing the Etruscans needed.”

zmPA7kmPTuGXFh-9sEqn2uskm9N9e52jafXaPEpTspogLNyMb4S-lW8wLzlVVX5VN-lmXJmPvUZUCXR5SPe_j4P29VKgME4_HbKz9fzmqpQi7RCNU3JzSRElnNrUeSydgPGEb0s3NzASmYv0bEKSrsLycjD9gqmFxMl3EOKWABmsyDHsQHnM0M8yTKaqJhdJ1C9wMgk4vrUzgLADGwoOW3Es3GDGhGSO9eXkV93zjDO1OwLJYw_GFbOwlWPegIrPPlLuBlYZFDRT8U4zpPXiHTI45QBdiL_ESulS0nBfU6XNJi3ZMs2DxTeSPagdyXRnN5ZZLyNTN7twKfa67vldlUFGBYM0YZaQQFhQ2ecmrkhB0Y4uFiCfogA2vOjMyEIpJDhYoaMji-xfBJp0Fki4lz2NVi02tyv5ljDpu2mKeAU6FfaAvmrCJrzlXCq6aSaeVMbGIUTf3jms4QERSbk8uKUDaz5Eg1GjUKCnV9zwuGcaOFi83Fw4MGcmSgV8xq9KpOhh5IbZ_mekKSd1ASqlKEDCK9bEi6vrMJBuo3AnEx_JE-JWj9Ddybk2SZ_u9QWyoxaW5-c0APS2gzZ9g1fWfSKe-neTlgd6IEzTfSJi6xre-K3eti6ZyNS12gkA_tp8UP0gw74AIr6NpOcd_wr6RQnSlUIBchG7o_AsZZFBi6UWaQu4NxJ3jHFRqzlsMKsjAr8gO1vwAFovq_4liQ=w1673-h314-no

Three quite wise men. Or at least, three good commanders

I flipped a few pages, then another paragraph caught my attention

“The twelve cities of Etruscans” is a phrase you hear quite othen. Used by both Etruscans and foreign parties alike. My personal theory is that they reached 12 some time ago and then decided that enough with the counting, for the Etruscan league was much more then the twelve cities.

Another fact that is easy to miss is that the heart of Etruscan League is not Erturia, but Tuscia. Home of the capital, Valtuna and the only province completely under Etruscan control. Rich in iron, and also a true rarity- rich in both bronze and tin, the mineral wealth of Tuscia had made Etruscans rich. The fertile lands of Tuscia also ensured that Etruscans will never go hungry, and fine marble makes buildings beautiful.

u43NAfpoGc-kentIQVLYzvbpKQWCGrq0v_FMAULxpURYGadAvKJ9UURCyXnFbAslASJbLGIzVpzBAgGWe0FY0zG7fOnQ2d0yBEFlUFaVi4KpJabd8Mj3yWR677Jw-Q6YOaqt92oRwqUQAfCJDHKzODdHyw4G02Rldax7Zh96GWTz856ColSSs5nMudYot39QYp5ABg6q76jQO0hJo97N3040TuWtYWOVljXNGf8X_WZUQRL1k10apC9uCyGhF8AIQW2PadQwoDs-1NvQcSs-O2WnmMs9eWlqze1-6k9DsO0RbPjztbvj3BCVanEEHzJdFnqbcfNzp9UPQFiV2OnpeZqO48kedbLF-_nWj3d3Eq26omBcOLsBiTjLotENHVDtCfOdFS3x2T2gL9gJUhWa6QnmNvC3u6CAiJeeN6LMdNhB0-yKYCseMyPT4jUHHc3nTIxIJOWTumybwxtH1iz3iApHtTg95gjbQovL4-gJZtKRuLpdHmkosXjTwn9h_5GWiOuZm7PPeVUMqD7u6uaL8QPD0F1-8MGkdwT8nIMIND4SlPp-uuLflr_XLpCWMKka0TS2WcL36DRUTiUMNtiO8rPmk22wvz547ZA_wJ14hhz29ydo38iFMUkojl7DuH1ByXQSGq7BsWJOKjeqa2lCoTMUWFU9CFyI77U8Qo-E5qZErTJHf3_HpXMpnxc1L4H1PuwZyUGr_q1py4HUwQ=w2123-h936-no

Tuscia, the Heartland

Etruria herself is a bit more agrarian. Olives, fish, sheep and of course, iron. Though the capital is Pyrgi, this is also home of Tarchuna, or Tarquinia, the legendary first city of the Etruscans, rich from selling iron to Greeks in the south and Gauls in the north. All is not fine in Etruria though. The biggest thorn is Nepete, owned by Romans.

FEImUJ6B8qO-POd1o5fcMqjvxWM80hiHO6NOg9WlIBN5hy5jjBC67z2UUFjWK6Y46JI8TFyWop8bJdbMTxnQz9mshxE58wnUluaguEZCUhKZUPGa5pM8yHit1cDZLNEEIi_lsMH2ETB2f7WAWtrWGHoBAg_O9gpigC7wfQuWp5wVEwofq-abK3KaRBdgNJj54usZ9_i8hrDa_NWjbjhTL49-6HWNkGYFmNYk697HJV6AkUJblLUGSNaHVouEp9VjDkFFJl2o5oY9jkHKuzYHxxXetgFO9zJTYQEHwcoCZA1EzBbIpX3Y2dQFyCpe_3snl-MK8nYw9WcexWLU-reV2Bv-DZf62lLSrMV1rmJh0wys9srAp-Z5wiH_GBCpXQ8gcpbEBl4CMGA4A_VYHPE_Ca_KPMgM3OXFq43w2zom3uBhGmHl8a-7dr8JlqNmj7Q6YWP2CEqAqI2XwD5Q1UmQ-4eraPwRm3ZSGigtTRTO_lDF8cfVYRejpG4nwjUfd4XiKYo6LqcAT1mGVrpFXCeYitSlR0KzeEHvzpvX2nDlB2ZvdHCpSGqXCbx27eqri3VCZDskmCAfXd5OsjyUpBJLLbpMSVCmtU-yJ3jv46Q5N3iwzg1twzlMIdZUm8FTRRGOzjUtpFx4j9aocb9CwHS13Hz2NyEHBfGYNjAhJ_k9aySlcM0634Co9AW36vnz4dd6YlqLX7233ttPbAA9iw=w2079-h876-no

Etruria, the Cradle

In addition, Etruria has three more provinces. Pisae in Cisalpine Gaul. Ruled by separate governor, Pesna Vulturreno. More mountainous then the plains of Tuscia and Etruria, the province provides mostly stone, marble and bronze. Around half of the cities are part of the Etruscan League.

spaBRTnCRQHWsmN1D8f5GiKE1NR4kHVPOBevdCguue0sbQA8qxd8Xtusa1ILp2FcZrkGnERbfkGO1T5zC-cN1yCPeLLy2d7x0jvwk6D4SNepgVqQAo1wKhkLpYpg3-82S7YGl9AqKq_85B-NHNVivBcPyI2HSErKMXPc_hqDaFeO0xLep5m0jZv6cIe7Wj0VpGmJJQ15cGDKYNuCWNEtDV1TXHl0yTjjLM_SlMP4LUiw4i2TrDgJ8tlJIyxh9MtRVwnOtU3N9hjYb_y_t-dfkmW5b2At1bRwN4KjG7wLf_dZEDuaEeAZZsRNBJCtE93tJyhDNaYoaE-NQSS8rN1RNm7y2BLbHel3kzcntI6T1j87URMvu0wXQEhvNRPTfla20K-9oVaSQ1sw2TLLkByMhnXn9OvL6eAakAhtKxbiiZck2UWgIsPN9Yt23x0lQza6cGibIZoHuO877q4Eq-M5rnncSHlGMljkL0yg4z8B6JWi1wXvbcjqMnzN8sCf7GRXiwdeX7XFINlkak7CejPVbqy1sY_ciK3eSweAQWei7UVLlQ7ME4aKBwVycPFuKNuo8w8mlgTqUoYc01-d9q3Ma-eh6_Sou0uVYtWdLPNCWGBi0-I2oFGXWuRblO5XZ7WBWsKEZcmCwwjHwtPEgL7jbwmZr_LNMr5wIKR45KuWtluJkQ3VvC3M7SxzANbVscVasc_bsFzNixXba6SWRA=w1570-h1147-no

The northern holdings

Then, there is Arminium. Only single city is owned by Etruscans though.

xNFk4EBC-ignynJLHmY4eto9eP8tYAVcKEulcduKs3X2ilNF3qewUJAI1a1b6sjUWKGXbcGRCaQn4kimSlcV_tDqybU7-OAxo0eklMexrF-O4kxUzPdxAojxiar3faGvduIHIRw3_I4QIiDvvQpSCMvmZrbaLkBh0sqK3slikvn6Tp7FNCBRfpCnjAO96PPyhOEiHi4cxt7EcAuF9RbmaGYExIMoygXd75rSifiFPJywcjlzjJxZsTXjH5TE53-I_MjNlUwd9M-TkIpfqHjrq3Nt-Qkz_sRHON82kXFLWd-oVGKHrPapf0MBNxKRCsA6vmvS2qOf0mMX75ankL9XyvZHtX5xOv3bT2jMCS-uaVrdi_lfIoH63sc0AaeaPVgkayAD1cQsxknQnuJu9Elm4u9ui4icIeRLEwTn4ACdrUGsZPHMpHbGlRJFoxTyjrKbpxi1S9iVBRVNB0k0BFsou9Re2HFCfuHTp6A9CizbD_JyHdROk4ZR0Vpg7BxLROXtszXpuiKfuysn8e2ua21jb2dfiXfz_XeGwoiVQBvPedzOOjC1UJhh5KxGKcTRhVUsqycv9q43d_tIWInKRVTGUBlsaF-Vs8B1BuTFBQ7ehqdFYEL8g4VGI34_uNCKVpBJTI6swn-x3vLO1l9cLYT4iWAeKL1b2oxQvHCfNSO1PQ2wUg8Pg3Q1QwW6SdeW3pnIjIJAZ0uFRHGDmrz11Q=w1732-h904-no

Arminium minimum

Finally, the Island of Corsica. Originally, Greeks tried to colonize the island, but were expelled by the coalition of Etruscans and Carthaginians over 200 years ago. The population still stubbornly refuses to assimilate though. The eastern part of the island is colonized, while the western half is still roaming wild tribes. Mostly agricultural in nature, the island provides grain and salt and wine and like. “

cGa5HYGDMZPvEnx7RBIdDgXsF9S0pgksrTmZKB1Tjf8hDEa27UrhY-EgbZi906lZ2werHE4VlVpjiA6JuDTG2pJPD_zvEtqcv_AT6zyvPCpV-ZtA7i-w4tBq_vE7wKvRYdHcRgitManKI6MUSRN1bb6N-s57CUD9-cCzf9mE88J55newJcEdiDdcFrhXvhyHtkJ73sdexMuTRXIi4n8eUjZSemoji8ZJRsdJ9u5dL1CYUFd-CaPvFHxiOOH59K0O54PMtDi5chGUY4CJiK4wPvJtJ0mpp6MwZkl2XZEyldquRAmrQ3bDIQxzpfgiBEfnwjvxBuinseimqQdWZavx6EGadBEO-MeG_HRwjfoxpwfDCVzX0pf2b7YwL4zQ9eEJWRCx5VQmZ7SgOyEUB2s0bzsE5NaWOo9o3jtsfG04muFQ1IuyomoczY-ILF7A2AwutKyP8669ajncRN-4dD2XcImwIoqGgYevjki38bZrep77jkrnjFsCU9o_Rk75-T_2rPHAWd9WnoouAZO5OOFosu5Ls0pnscIF_KfwcHS_sJYiKBQf3rR3RZmcJWulRGEZGc8y34yG2NsK4AWNdg74WLbJ3gyZrdoFtCYTn3tk49a9JTLz07bmi5JrquugJqR1PFLMSdpsvHHinvbXYn4XlSp4FqPmicgvzVNhxg0fOQAZJndoQmx3DvxoDJ7fyvn3CjWRhcpRCjEz-Kryvw=w1929-h1142-no

Finally, half of Corsina

I skipped the graphs, eyed the pictures of Etruscan artwork and browsed on. Ahh, foreign situation.

“One cannot talk about Etruscans without talking about Rome. Once, the Etruscans were the Kings of Rome, but now, the republic is their greatest threat and also acts and as a driver for unification. Owners of Latium, including former Etruscan city of Veii, the Romans were a real powerhouse. Not just the Romans, but their client states of Frentania, Pelignia, Nuceria and Marsia are the dominant power in Italy. Outnumbering the Etruscan forces by far.

Lxsh2oWRkv0Q9Hh2mYb3fll1TkZABMYm86WzL3ADlOfYr6D6IalNrt-Z2kOzsFoGhnR6vOGz6qMwURoOCtckM_GSWYRUOWLcyLdV97NbUA16aEosOkxOhaJOrsMJYZAKdb51kcQg16K6ShTDqQWNIEkjofXAHbgcQ3TjPtMgHBRLhWlnnrgtbyT_l6wGDXqNfyvbnm388DutkmkOBB1JvBVJ10Tn7k_hzqsmWQ7tcNY34MATDut7Qy_TpoZKFZmdD7i3FgHRifGXyVpM-ywUkxvSphJP8hi0OpMRkJRPUIihIyPeZlrNTRFhcNCzLBHysrnEuiM9WRSIL0T42LniOJZ4xpp_8_aFDy4NIShb4v8MFlcD9FXhaLhemtHR7RmK-nuYjpBBWtlpuoMXAfiHoWAEXW-oX69Q_OaqeTYnxH7c4Z7PGRc_zXSavufPDaUSUccxXVF557FtaGTu1DdyF1ficlEXiVcHZ8lG2WqD6Z5xbpGgla2D834LcpiFV2E8JyaTo_wLJxybYoX1ShBRg6AGMskoJFGdL6J0DBOrKb_OKJjF71aLH1uPnnY7QIrf6fJQjaKlbt-nBkZlrPnaPd02DbWIAcSUonwAPJuhhgahkyxATV93yhVYTXqwb1q4ump7zMHQTSPHUgqIOD4qHOUgQ5qxR3Eic1OsVzOtP_9714d1fzgqwAtOJjkUb849VokaH1mYapDdVp8GDw=w1435-h880-no

Rome, the bane and boon of the Etruscans

Then, there is Samnium. Much weaker after the just-ended Samnite war. Something the Romans can gobble up and become even stronger. Rest of South Italy is Magna Graecia, consisting of several Greek city-states.

jKiAoVXrnJZeQso2ujVs5Nr_KIdxvzEo1Fd5b7ecNo4mowQWOKnUX16fPWqtY8_rSvBHuZ9oUWTgcWKZWbUyWuTIQibcQHXALOA5FGZ27kLluBwcXSN0-4t0Ncb0DSjIpVOEa4-I5NZxHz1wqevdXEjS8MfZUvHsDEO_xmqAp4IrmNGCRNVx1v8kqcC-1WUeWyLINDll-Q2MW0aavrxAMhCNGDc7xch2L1uhA7hjLoCjtmJndbcFhF6cD3HgKd_DrQv91TmUOVn1BLrRUnv3ebyBJVPyLQH5D1YJgkvSWFmrTBbdWMvxWU6g2S1Xm_XNISLoJ_Z9ZnH0wvglmqfJjOVzI4_D-kXzG5H1_TUAh3BZNWH48SSwBOesP3MBhNuKcDMCId_tEtRuGJP1k1ocAKYIxDRsEaVedWIfXvxhnytvJtV6GToM8k-tOS0yFzuAHC8Dcf3_ERMcNG38iRKUMYhx0J4I2HT4-XgG5DQwhZaGuYJiEtx1AxxHvysraO17FMOUuiZdd9AjsOBXhCyDVNr5EryQ7Y2IoFx8DptnON_cWSGWN375X_qCL85AUgrHUZ6029D7v_VYyAA6uhcC5jKkMnTQOetanZeedjHQL7kZJneBq_Vmy_LZgZpTBtZ6lJcbmUESg-C_wkWbCX3kJFkEqqfo1dLH7YRhRMfFXjBdiCKMjZ2bm4bWrWjIa-RKktfzeHHQTcmg_RYBAQ=w1745-h1257-no

Samnium and Magna Graecia

The dominant power in the region is actually Carthage. Holdings mostly in North African coast, the Phoenician nation has also been fighting over Sicily, owns coastal Sardinia and has holdings in the Hispania.

SUuswDR7ftUuqyl4nFk9S8IBGdU04goXaw_MsmdOe6o-tnrsMjqYdELh33sXI5BKegnPqZ9_avP_KvtWaOfpTKPn9fCD8V9pdctfhcyYKn7H0TFFHyk3lGb9UVqr-f7LcDYDw9QFqkOBkh42PETGN6_xXEvsIQeebzwPhf6H7rsKjdlKO1hoarps9jEpmDF8aY_Nd_d9mc4IcEje3_uqlS_67aYeksE1usQZJXAAMZiFUdDvzXL_9zChs31P97rZjGcQM2JffhdctyTIMNzmd9NalgzrUy4S6f4AvE3JIP2I3gfpRNJZ2Xm5sfUAkyVsxbf8MfdgwLETN_nlRhdNnviEITq4zBPEs8elU0LNM6qIptrVaycrUaykGZNEL9LFsju5zOIabvEaFLBBM86Qwz3mBtiB4iFdmoH51WcKjtatCO_GI4wVfhC551I9TpfuVVHwWHrfXWgbdpi3TV5txa9sgR4bGYh4cgwsQUxy44Ra5VWnX9iRaLyZ-Y4TNXa3TWoj46sv_eaX8Its7_52hdvEebUDrqcPNexLqGAsK--ZrHAZnSpz3J9LQNffBDlQmmSD1d1lRY0U4oHWLgic9uBs7tV6adIvzPMLHCJXjh6MMC7R_nMAXxdg_NvPUEvPX9qGf_MAp5ndMwm15FLIj1kkI_5bLB5Omm2a8MwW_VnYfHXoXcYHoEQEEfIFpV8_wZFaFskNn5C5FAwFYA=w1747-h1247-no

Carthage. The Powerhouse of the West

In the North, Etruscans have mostly Celtic barbarians, uncivilized when compared to the Etruscans and other southern nations. Also, Friniatia. Not all the Etruscans joined the League. The three cities in the North remained independent. Though allied with the rest of the League, they were not part of it and refused to bend their knee to Elbio Vulturreno.

Efs2298FdwkhJ3RbGr-xLCSGI4c_YXCa8hwfEPtDZGfxdYrQr6YbMbFNeW_2esdgjw6igsTvfzTIGGYdhVw5lSx6UbCo2uY1DsrGfj-dHu46o7WyCD8KYN27FOHGVGXKHxfYX8Wb995bBCf4Pq9kd50TvJFJXfIdoKh6N0AF7pui2wT9XwWmMpaspCSOP5B0BIdvmNghEA6JONYB-aIbeOJotN3PJjiaCweG9EEF95vxp_OozRBUAD2-4-YSL_lPgDRqfFQbq-HAmd_nMTdi0raJsNIEbfn8d9IqJvQejYPtA-4wZSO2GacD4tUUMjtuR36RliA71S-5_cQAAoCFsSfemP0y-xgJGgbwYVu4uH8BzKYna7RlwMhRmzMJvnhvz1ABUypOxCKx8VHO8QypAFMk_vGGKbkNibd1a_iLEWUs3SeNED7x1xzSL8PFmNTg526y4V7Sg8uTzn8GMnBgdTMaNe8VApFf8-_KtjoEggYEzKMd089Pa3ebmIxXsT8PXLbmTCerdgRCUt1BLbNx0M8WGRNkSCl_eBISsgv0iG4Pv6i6c--k2UQIj_126A4TdShX1UMIksOoKMFFN12k0rPy5xWZ0JQOpBDHzhCqXQRL_LOKYhMfnEqZ8S2_yBt7BX8khK1HTWwfDfOLuLCsZNvd44T-nUVI4ITdz7bFMXmUSPLxO0LstuC6_YncgdP4ggjyt6ubvwKb97NfhQ=w1720-h949-no

The non-aligned Etruscans and a lot of Barbarians

In the East, there were more nations. Most notable was Umbria, an aristocratic republic. Ancona, a Greek city. And some barbarians.

dgQzAlfs0dKT-yYMFf67RmgsyCEwDj7HOHe3bdlRIMdJZxSL9NO9wdNOfRWVj4nCCCelv0xtSberxEalyozaSEAgos4Sx1olmksTNzslfkQEejQxcX_TzdcRjVaYE8jEx7AVcWxTWFVOqMBxbUWj1hZ8jMgGZf_Y5Fltkr2UnnL8heDUEREQd58zNanil0J1mS2GF596cvq3_6bexQL7MLBklllOVY_-oSdz0XXnXGIbL-tw7wj_vf245H7f4qUW9nBclKL7Skyz8gBq3jXhEzyXjEaAKSk7-eDSoZgn99wagFIU9w6ywlgZX7ezmIUHctuBUMNcC_wOBh18oGPVsNcgV1NBgnoIQcsJmKVTclAN0ghO-TOIGSgnohwnXc-faJNlOzutgYSkfcVetYnopzXX0b1RIwBh8DgaUoD31qazHsWONwv0ylyEW0oroMnsQ_8EJ0vht6asoTva5O8zt6MoIBl-0mcYxYLjOQdMdXHS9KIWI0ybOyTIO6HS8KdYq8tbnobuWnkGYe5fg-uKJ_q-pYT0mibMZSK2kBs4mJjK7aCMrfW7fuJCc0DJmwpxD1fB2bKERAr-S2RNQR8kWO8o4YaaTizUMxJ_VMUBW7u0lVdG_3_ld9pVK6XMBX1DTAOWjn-lRIaw4Y1XYYTXIgIQ_KYHpQuT_5Gcx2tmCp2T0FeCYsIHNczb6hbJ87pLWhf0Xcjp__n1E1r6Vw=w1438-h960-no

Umbria and the Barbarians. Sounds like a 60'ies band

Overall, Etruscans were still a powerful nation amongst their peers. If not for Rome, none of the neighbours were enough to challenge their power. Then again, if not for Rome, the Etruscan power would be much more splintered and a lot of effort would be spent in-fighting.”

After this, I felt rested enough. I put my shoes back on, rose up and continued my trek towards Vetulonia, while swearing that I would take a cab back. If there is one. Vetulonia is not the biggest center no more.

Deal with the Devil
  • Deal with the Devil

We, the Etruscans, like our luxury. Fine wine, exquisite pottery, exotic foods, enjoyed together with friends in lavish feasts. We are people who put the citizens of Sybaris to shame when it comes to enjoying the life. Rightfully so, for life is fleeting and temporary. Might as well enjoy your time in this world. The Romans seem to scorn our attitude though. And the word “decadence” pops up more often then not.

Nothing I’ve experienced thus far compares to the reception we received at the court of Cassander Antipatrid, King of Macedon, though. The palace at Pella was the size of a small city, and the hospitality of Cassander knew no bounds. After receiving our gift of 30 talents of gold, the King showed us a truly royal welcome. Slaves catering to our every desire. All the food and wine we wanted, of the most exquisite and exotic kinds. Feasts, dancing, theatres, shows of fight. Military parades. Creative executions. Cassander was showering us with welcome, while trying to show us his might to us. At the same time, despite his joviality and friendly behaviour, i felt his cold eyes upon me, upon our ambassador, upon our all delegation. Calculating. Assessing. Weighing our worth. As is expected from a man responsible for killing the heir of Alexander, alongside with the mother of a heir.

Ruthless, cunning, cruel. The thing is, we needed ruthless, cunning and cruel. For these qualities were also present and cherished in Roman Republic. As for Cassander, he needed us as well, no matter how much he tried to look powerful and mighty. His concerns were in Magna Graecia. A rich and fertile and independent territory in South Italy that Cassander eyed upon. Fully realizing that the Romans threaten his ambitions in the region as well. The Etruscans being the only force in the region capable of opposing the Rome and their client states, so he needed us, as well as we needed the threat of Macedonia to keep the Romans at bay.

r4mQJN10TcqZfvPIatibxCMTz1qdmu9aT1qn2j3d1xOqSx3j6BJ_jG1XF04Lw9PtkOcjBson5Fem5IVhngHOY7iTUQUwTXuOsRt-mdwRgl2Y20hqbOBpakacIySHgvr8hKYpyR0jkBK7h6E_1AMYX1F9TkSc76N4GpzBgQHBjp6EcLCu-hirI3cZYOt-oL0vNyG13XkFx2fIPsRWCxnMOMB1_K09Ori2Zp0sP-bbX7FJdf4rQE37fBaDJlPRpofv6ru3QE_sP4Tui51yKaNRHEYRwmcpLH91O8_0R_OYW26BzInMdTGdNiMLZOcqirZaxJdpXp_toLh7OOT6emkOaZjk926Fkim6ho_vWCA-_hr-Jt0RZVqlcXQI-pMEl1l4Y-yf_pBaJAxS-yssCh5vgsxPc2fkReE8ELm9Kk5HZmZDj-rcJwOqeHn00djFOysnw1u_98njVXk5m13p64xltJ7e6JiuxZCkvxoLaZS07PtYqhhIEK5eCV-jq6fwZUyixQbE85gB5cWDYiqwkVuBYi1jKzSLY9Ho7ZICZNMwAMwRy-WuPx8_yAfB_oLCbwFVWfyp6pjHsO61JG56dnDq61mNvjJV0ykj9wQ4FtmHlcyKxGvl3sTA0f_VMaknBSn5E0lbr4pQg2PU6Q6y8Yk9NZEREqa9reOJP2Up1v-ekzS3lOzcDBhwq2yXkQFx0VU2kqKpsTq_vfoL4CoTiQ=w1395-h891-no

Deal with the Devil

Later, in the fine villa of Elbio Vulturreno, we hid from winter rain indoors. Hearth giving welcome warmth to our bones With cups wine in our hands and us positioned comfortably on couches, we idly talked about it all.

“What’s the difference?” Elbio enquired.

“Hmmm,” i played with my cup, as for looking for answers from there. “The difference... we feast because we love life. Cassander feasts because he loves himself.”

“I still don’t get it?”

“We feast because we enjoy wine, music, dancing and company. Cassander Antipatrid holds feasts because extravagant feasts show how rich and powerful he is. We are doing it because we love it. Cassander is doing it because he loves the amazement of other people when he is showing off his wealth and power.”

“Hmmm.” Elbio’s seemed deep in thought. “Will he hold to his promise?”

I hesitated. “I am not sure,” I said, slowly. “If it is in his interest. If he feels so. If..”

“Not the most reliable ally,” Elbio replied. “Will this be enough?”

“We can only hope that the Rome does not want to risk fighting us and the Macedonians at the same time, no matter how slim the risk is...”

_t9nIFSsh07tf9FJa8Z8HTNrssYVsOWRhK2blj4NTU04XFiIV9lVd5AzwgblaA-wgioliJ-ZRaLojBQ-6t5FjI2ESm98rmMasAb3MXZV8H43P3Lg9Z9NhdqNZ7U9Uw5BO3BgBulVQumBfcNWjbL4McOxFX6fy4enhnyvX1lYqnA6jYnOSKKeQZ8EZ0ssDbUAYaLf8WXrhlp_ZWPFyEtK3ecDoBglOEusMgAIJ7_uAWHQVsvF1xqV174V9nCd2E3BqSHOS4tIscWpvProM2f9oQZddS_tLHxyRWVEmed664OddNyfggPgsmea69PRie4KmScurtZjZXoHdZqyGY0OKUUJgFw5dxvJ5klzJL_if9Hd3zaCho_8MXGXHLIg3USaSsJRC6tUGonyHmUDsbyS3N8tAl5ZxAzpopALVtrZrK2mRU4-teb7Om-0PVTD5N5SRKB7EzSx9X4Excpd8366AilAUS_1hDVWlLIAh9p5EhhxNyqaziRXlpbzSdahDIYh01C_5S6H5X9T6ZG8tr2kf1GmpkS8P1oCq7vJ7kBKMo7fR1q4U2IZWwK-cQwEG2KISiX_SFv5TWy0TIIZjqV5JRIBj5b2-h8xAv6DxQwGDgdsXrMwU_sQ3ks0FDOYk2PRPX8o5s_ItfSbtNb65oCJMfAyvbxiTU5tYeLyR-_BCQV7XmxysGImD8sa64wk_L1lxdstNiUJUV1z6hmpow=w560-h709-no

The devil himself

“I hate that we have to rely on Cassander,” said Elbio. “Not the most pleasant of characters, it seems.”

“Friend, this is an understatement,” I said. “But this is also the best we got, so we have to deal with it. If we go on, expecting to be stabbed in the back, then we shall not be surprised at least.”

“But, Elbio- how did it go while I was away?” I inquired. Changing the subject completely and leaving the question of reliability of Cassander open.

“Much better,” said Elbio, now smiling. “Trade agreements with Carthage and Massylia were conducted without issues. We now have ample surplus of iron in Tuscia and also, horses. Shipped in all the way from Africa, but still, horses. We can have some cavalry now.” Then, he added with a sigh “If only we could afford some more of them.”

Ts5Ft_yrCBVcNF1HkQQP6J0fcOR0jX73tRL9bPiWoUd-Lal59I8VIab9YeSogWcPeK7LcBn14-JjxABZntQLLumS5op2h6bd1sgbi2sYfRcExIWrSd-POM4EQy2O_Q-UeroJ5RNEzOekQZrmP8Tk5s5uztdfJKTdIr8jXwPbdzGW-zxboerkDQ-fCza56y4rtMIu5sduGPHjWfbeK3WnPYlXVyLwAOr6qW5VCVNSmWXHwEmi9gPSkyST-dOMaks5tT5gv9zAQPlGyLARMoVHXugosPS8ExMl71rTRZM5DSU8SAMSSSctl8m_dLHjZCAjQjLjztySUgLT01itwz6xGsU1WaXncmGvgzSa9m3_-RLNKw4UHfisQQXctMzckOOmqFdFFgbTYFGWNo7qoMzslU-3EdYE3JQrdHI5-fbVOw-jVvAadIjiJp3zP3cS4id8nerATggsWlWjWhgdf1K5gkeb8Teoim6XbF1qJUqx5XVyiV_10UgoKlTvpf-4oUN-5ebnCsl4d7i73NckKyWPlMNr7wuYUTeLuDLOyy9VN2vmlQEXilHtFPTec0RFw4yE49mVnwO-K71ZA3vXnyYkF34TSdpK7Q183zHGhqJPDopki8ePBYDhvVuLDM8X97JhIgjOg98Ei9QbXy5kupOC1Effn_dqSQ0lA5xzJnA-9kr2BpA1wGcdn0jm708Mnxwcx-5om3Xn4i_BAcsLeg=w1172-h288-no

Iron and Horses. Base for a good warfare

“Money is tight?”

“War is expensive,” Elbio replied quickly. “You have to recruit them, you have to pay them, you have to feed them, you have to arm them.” He sighed. “And you have to have many of them”

“How many we have?” I asked. “Or rather, will have?”

Elbio shook his head. “Nearly not enough. But we will have to do”

“And the Samnites?” i asked

Elbio chuckled. “Much easier then the Macedonians. They seemed to accept our guarantee of their independence with gratitude. After all, all the benefits, no obligations. They were ecstatic when we proposed it!”

LzBtTTo_FS_V9vLN6hIlGdQ7cTYDqQwkocpw0CLMJohG3_tQVcFDXAVsQPYK2nVSXcRvt9cFYO3-kSH86yYScMO0hpKe_jSSbaKXOQIaFKfasxvEKv8Os3qEua0FmL86WEWqo13fo4RRnv4IvcYBGqPComosJ7VqrOZ3OCtmPc1ucRiBI1kzS2mqQsCUP6-pG9XU1bSf__AZjMAxlKPRxRYsBmv1aaBMXXKubFMmuBebehhV-Qx8sD_SfPjYb5PptBxLG9a34jcLPePThtjZV69EyGNgk252dPogGgAWsthScweaImDm8tVgSR2ElJtAFFIUw0N2MARDV3DYp5Uo-iyv0gQgOeTnDg1wyhod6Qali6kNN6O0CfQUdTWp9nNDAwfAvwjt1TkYb-IuNkI_o2QFaiJd0J51rHnXHSNcM7PvHET15P2Rbi3o0XUW_lOc4Hv9Q1VdTe_QaSqlUnP15IZKLsJGGOXLXrgQodSM4t7o4cjnY4umTt-NV1Lgjd9iSx0lWnVglhkaAteBrUBumGURp0z8jFydijh46Wasq1cKRpzXfHBBPAMxDevoIJh18aa76AZRyagt9N16wi3W3JFe-G2HKIFufHmbKehmSFwMuUx1jR7ymcnjCvyM0Q5fc-RzsAhRqNXBiyAphMQJPvXecW-hrjNjlaHdic7ak7PCXUi2J8NqFnzWLFRnM6wRHTt7_s303l8OXiZkCw=w1422-h827-no

Samnites, now feeling much more secure

“So, we have blocked Rome?” i asked

“We have made harder for the Romans to expand. If they go against Samnites, they will have to deal with us. If they come against us, they must be prepared to fight Macedonians. But we have not blocked them, we have just slowed them,” replied Elbio. “Until we can deal with them,” he added with a dark grin. Then, his face turned into more worried expression. “If we can, Lars, if we can.” he said, heavily.

Then, his face brightened. “As for now, we have reduced the situation to less uncertain. How about we feast!”

I wholeheartedly agreed. Then, we ate and drank and were merry, for tomorrow, we may be dead. Or slaves to Romans. But today, we were free, we were rich and we got drunk as pigs while we danced until we could not stand. For we are Etruscans. We love our feasts.

We did not love the next morning though, when we stood at the temple of Aita and watched the priests to stab a pig, burn it as an offering and check the liver for omens. Apparently, the omens were good and there was some extra money coming our way. And Elbio snuck in some warm, mulled wine to make the bones warm and feeling much more festive.

Pmb2AW5jfoiMdiFlGfeAC6L8NsGKrctgnVa6aQKd3ZqIBKuCZIKWwlN_om47Poi9smDozcCPXWkH84FcoVz79M9vITxgU8AgJ03nA2e4JepOyk3NFcaWq9KtA9YGnkNss65c9c4FPlgJ0iTsjR5K0yQjnnDZHnuoqLMZV8AONGRfrK1HZTv5UW8HfJBdMi5C_0YuIgy0n5wM4Hq9Ehy28E3mtc7LrEtPi7FLyVTnG8OyPkL1x3Is0TTVCxII3elCq9fGY-S5XOo7n39e1OeByyAhhIEvKFwKQHrBBUbhHQypiB4Vbx4kE--Ay8Ov63I1F1wKa78Xl_bSCmzrKbaQPQjC7F7_WLAL3dfDUzH4tBHfiHSQhV1xS6nGqp1Q5r8D1N-ezVuv2gqH_m54vUvYzItsL0ivUKm6NLWgCniO6sXRuaAtFJ5dyUQh5FASLH43KAT4aaICMpX4IoqYWUDETMN8SEFN4DKj4Wv65YSVcHK8q_mLujtRjExU_Gc0ofH8N7S2zeXXW8ekqEuJl_kDP5NkbDzG6DW62UsVNOamHQLcKxsN3GfeFAeuY4e8JWptGJXAC59ip6jpfITgnXGxEWock6rdWEXp2xUfxyS6asAF4ep0YOPpv-oYerss9RRrTbOvIDfEVaYSPYeOf5I8aNK4_x2-nQlV0McOXjOwLsiFPinIaoy0fdkvwdkmh5ng0iQ78GEQXhq7W7xfaw=w609-h633-no

Help us, Aita! On totally unrelated note, in Estonian, Aita translates as help!

Break on Through to the Other Side
  • Break on Through to the Other Side

Vetulonia is not the city it once was. What used to be a thriving hub, a capital of the Etruscans, is now but a small village. Two churches, one museum, few cafes and a population of around 250. I could feel the flow of time slow down the moment I passed the village sign. No people rushing by in hurry, nervously checking their mobile for their next like or follow. Few people sitting in the streetside cafes, chatting with each other, wine glasses at hand. Not a soul trying to take a picture of their food. Few lost tourists who had found their way here, away from all the centers of interest of former Tuscia.

Only thing remaining from the Etruscan League are parts of city walls, built out of huge stones and incorporated into medieval city walls. Everything else- houses, palaces, statues, temples, have been defeated by the greatest adversaries of them all- time and peasants, looking for quick way to build their houses. Since there just happen to be some ruins nearby, why not use them.

ADW2fB4VuG8yw0ta5gl0dnP1Nh1djyB50Q6xPRhyY6ZxmfNd-_kiBtEFY9LEgzkYzHo14eTTN2kJRpvvYt_DfiOc3SGqEIiZ_SdG3GReNsvlo6GcvfHJDqpT4qm0ITNSIfcLizMSDdh4-pp1_c4jIQJ_wE6mWO2fr3RdNGfzo4CP7x88SV-2fU-JxbROJmgeWSQE0YInHXENT1uZkKqM63X9cWD2IMEgPSJocJtFUmRvyfIO2LJb2RFqP0iT3NGtT7-tOy9xW2z1L7WzkfYOkBbE4qdy0VQfnJXut5QqUtSaF-OhGvUbtSoScOowASUP_Ae8cWTs1tYUNvdnPsnhQQQLBSy0XP5H8oFVLgOvyDJI66LVpKczAsVLcc24kjIipj_vFlDUTQ6LV-Ca5dF7-ZctzPzJeNrgGzbU_d8Drz9XY-xpjKD_KqPjtdQqX2Zqmm3mTKX__q-LsOqIHO5OIlVYWfGjbhJA6I9AaQoxv10LRBBwNHzW_XKOrMA0FWmD1T8JHpQPYpuQn9y2M4q6QQtjVCpj_TD6hFiCzFxHkHc_XnXpX8mQ9pZWevzkVIGh6qFuUJkgk5zX5eLW7lNtcHTAGxMpGkDIKLWxZp6wwfqH72ipYd1LV9Bku3pmZj5Z4SvVhtXPcpxxN7X_juxK9wZSalPMc27KhPQ3fmtcfWdnJ5Mwb9Duq2seS8KCuK05bfbVvrbw1RNCn7tEDQ=w600-h450-no

Cyclopic walls of Vetulonia

I touched the walls. Imaging the guards of old, standing there, on watch. Gazing down to the valley, watching the sprawling city. Where now are vineyards and fields, back then there were houses, full of people. Though Vetulonia was about 10 km from the sea and 5 km from nearest river- for security reasons, mostly, the markets were teeming with goods, both exotic and local. For Etruscans loved their luxuries.

The walk had been an exhausting one. Uphill, under the Tuscan sun. I cursed myself for being such a fool, and sat down in the nearest cafe. Ordering a bottle of cold beer got a disapproving look from the waiter, but i was beyond caring. I gulped the bottle down, feeling the strength return to me when the cold drink gushed down my throat. Nothing makes you appreciate beer more than a long walk in summertime Italy. Then, i improved my standing in the eyes of the waiter, asking for a bottle of local wine and something to eat. Something turned out to be- surprise- pasta.

So, I leaned to the chair, held a glass of wine in my hand and continued reading, enjoying the cold, white wine with some ice in it and the most welcome shade of the parasol.

“The Etruscan League was still but a few month old in 450. Still unproven. Still shaky at the best. One of the most important changes that would forever change the nation was already made by Elbio Vulturreno. Traditionally, Etruscans and most of the other nations nearby were reliant of the citizen armies. Recruited from freeman, who will bring their own arms and armor. And classified according to their wealth. These systems still existed, with three armies led by chiefs Tiberius, Ceisie and Mendendros. All the cities of Etruria added some soldiers to these armies. Some more, some less. What Elbio did beside that was to create a standing army. Still a small one, but an army that paid regular salary to soldiers, where arms were standardized and given by the state. And of course, leading that army by himself. Allowing more flexibility, and creating some unique problems for the future.

nxfYAn1rcbJ_KWuiHzIPIMkXga1ViEq-jmsOSCGa5dNAfea6lIk3_Y0rozre_cStjoNH9nPho6bo-ASdRtKMam9nKRRlMint92yiWR0fcoFxmEytwryDVdVfjl8GRhcnabFD1z3OwjqRU-dLl1dSDc5pafo48ombuoH43JFgscb3k92jsDovN0qt9KG35w1YvsrgLRn6ivj00KoAasL1tlCIINiPMvBk7cPEA7C32YJmuWnBWharxJcKDK7aqSO3APQ4kYAfCGBXCbebrQbo9pI4_eaiNXMImiymAKNQ8HUCzPPMRgEi69UwLdRod78Fsk4lQ9KG4iYoK6G15l1R4PKwhsNAeYqRw1EYrb_Qt6D5G2GMfzNByNm3FnnoF2MbOsLKsnqdEWglPuzePv5cIw1GB2P-lsJ2xregJgoGgRVvwqjQiZHs2frJEYmloVVCXlUhnM1gPyIaOS_lljt3blaGhhd5CbQ47v1p3oqIr0JHbQaBflqD_XCNfv0myTbYP139HT04B45oTtOTBwQdNneb99FKtQhDHfj3mPnDcfxoxWQUF26nHoE4b7x3B3rebxtelzokS0aNj9bM2u46DG0kpB8w-9Jivym3_34U8MtUcGTTsQSgKEt05Yk0PCLHYCRgheoGV07FC3D-C7vyWLzZYAWzmzogKuVkjYdZray43rfgJiYmiIELJhlxgnAbmbAqYyiRX5jrii_BqQ=w537-h744-no

First real army of the Etruscans

A young nation, formed by an uneasy alliance needs something to unite themselves. An common threat, if you will. While Rome did fit for the role, the Rome was a passive factor. While risky, the usual solution for this is an offensive war. Nothing re-affirms the ruler better then successful war. More slaves, more loot, more faith in ruler. Of course, when things turn south, the uneasy alliance can easily turn into no alliance no more.

Apparently, Elbio Vulturreno took the risk. And what better target then the ancient enemy of the Etruscans- Umbrians. For long, both have fought against each other, with no certain victor. Now though, Umbria will face the full might of almost united Etruscan League, with leader betting everything on a successful victory.

Q75N1hz_U2Y4bxRGl_SnzNiG0tYR3hsCh--GS-QBqxvKVqsU5qC2AwzKyiggzWDaLA_eJnel8lOVotVuC_cFo-0sGJOim2OR5KDaQInBG9PdEX0R6lX6lbG8tANWHOrKKKfRxAwZAcp3GV8Ea8dKnXgawq4tnbbuWStz2a1nPPTpv18Km_F9Todf-WVLAqNRaQtI2Wcp850Ape8H5QYQNTbKoBQJESwdWDYMXKacvYGLBEYDMv5cj2gQf0MhL3s7Dj8k7NIDF4IMRId3FGh5KQHRMw4yPky2yHpGeVpR8WuIpRSjpHcoc23fduLtQjcyc4qvs9-EMK-fQST43yiyDISbXLxavdXkIsj4qseMVmw45FhSXlPsTEnjGR1EqQjWYPpEO4D8hDh0H5GgioldTZPc-G1EKeCvLoupgfhQvaj77k6xfG2PRFBr2HiBvGeAbKtMg1D2_SNUtvl7JiWPMHvJ1mmRCUCQy_hlhuvHlvF7VJG3b7JBLORWOcK_KHtGiaemj2GlDOjlGyr0TY5MjqGYE6F_iOWY_2bCHkM7Smy0mIP7wtHfrsYFDgCD_ttqYn2hUSrsXrMV9L6TSPy9yCHCim9Ho3tKFDSAzwBdXWISxuOG-RelXVLGGrxxG0LSAPs4LoXJ1YwMW9ZvZhTnamjN1IGhLBk_wdvV5wnBHjCoSJeKAhyDppLPAZmL0eOUj-1dkPfSU-lGPWx_1A=w716-h803-no

Here we go

The war started in February 451. Less then half a year after Etruscan League was formed. Umbria and their allies of Picentia, a barbarian tribe at the shore of Adriatic Sea, were in for a fight of their lives, with 31 000 Etruscans waiting at their borders to cross. Elbio Vulturreno himself leading the newly recruited army, heading for the enemy capital of Plestia, while citizen armies marched northwards, occupying the lands as they went. As far as the records tell, they speak of initial success, though some historians tend to be critical to the claim that Etruscans fought off an army three times their size and that Elbio himself fought off dozens of enemy warriors, like some kind of God of War in the battlefield.

Dh-MX2pAU1y7KWK_gy7om-_y7WXuzVpOkhl9mvEkAIyUWtyZ7MDhV5zdvDAOh6YAULlZqZnA1CwA1xYERDF8msgDz5VIWXFtVXdUglPJVEqLgw4hWL_2iT4a3GhuWcI6bOYQ9zLBojBGImzXviRju7rT9M5YKAUMLdOKXYTvjmemjqfC3ZU-aKFksmFvn7jIeRIjZyHYeIuQ1Nil7ayjVG--fW_SNmmhj_etkOAQzG_rcVI8UnxNCatw9tMi7GBwpPGCd3lH1_LBz3uf4BSww9Hq_ErcnqzyY4tijAhmZauKdsWuG_bFiBdC3Rlo3NhKwDnqFd0W7EvnBwF8ADinREXhvrG4bYCUnOXY2MYR53K4o9ZkqeWNFi3z6F34giYH_LzncEQWIYKjlaqqH19Kkud4yShz_MWw7gSllDAA1yVNg-8x0EWuj4nDSoB75uCfUHOEBxQgitsPkGX34908ZyE4WSZNJFc8tvIUCYafZ4gsqzAkVnrCE0MdwYmq_VE9OzFeIY2_bwg-jteFkVTcvKh7bj8jjdOH0xEEwkGsUHD3cYMCfaayv_si6Z8LDQflsYM3xUExXemwRAiA9-z4olSdAjF9rTJkmQ0rOssfN2pN4f5BpYWO3cmBFn-9lBpY828MlfHl0EKfvdBRQCQQhLw5v1gdeMt1ThgzckUDOwpn9DG6ziKixybpf8E_xpg0eXc6NboD86RqKuWjiQ=w1408-h861-no

First epic battle

Half a year later, Etruscans had taken control of all the northern provinces of Umbria, while Plestia still stood. Etruscan forces were spread out throughout occupied territory, fortress of Plestia severely limited their movement and then, Battle of Semtempeda happened. According to a stele in Temple of Laran (the Etruscan equivalent of Mars/Ares) in Tarchuna, the Etruscans were hit by overwhelming odds of Picentian forces. The stele depicts lightly armored enemy units hitting the citizen army, with a core of heavily armored infantry. Etruscans seem to be fighting in unison, while the barbarians are shown individually. Along the stele is an inscription saying “I, Menandros, victor of Semtempeda, ordered this stele”

7cbAPaQv9eoxZUybnp4wI8pE_XrSLkdscqn0AfM_tIF8Jb6l2KrKctLol7u-isnA1Biupm45PrnP0PUJvL9LxmSt0Iqvmt9xEqvwKYrXmM4uiXpclUEWzoP76PVrDvjc3yxIBWgShJhsaFWk_efRHsHFrbKvKtLJ2PulL5_TR0nMtNcDCub-K2C5Q5hG8os6gg1CcGN0p1AZ4kmps-WGooRylxLkPoKbPCCIp30Vr7WMTYhj-L3CN8nScU_9CEnguo5m5rhw1X4zSvvx36zht648E8x5CsD77fsgkqpS2EExAeeqT4gAtadoArwx75N6l_vdf8rl61Nr7VmeIPMMgT8rAe0X4QwbpRqpzC6wEYQDQnef9OAj3G54nF3j06KahvMa203kVfft3Ha1vryb82ruxMbYtRaApBAWNjaLf8mCjhNf4mXRhJ2VR9Wkk9ez4gYA3tBXIO997tTtB9CoHY2JpX2c9PIYO17BbfTcJQxnJ_n4S3aItxDPWSffLrn39wLEZkeXhjVBbSycqFcXRXmmaW-61LDJHi9NzApFtyiKzZvjUwluMrO2Gsz98hvueQlMMW_NU0jfmu8Io5M0KQm7L9jfmkZFNZ_rSFqDcOl83TYEE9ZnIlj0QHzIBYDLm6bQWoynrnrQAtjoujhuzSHTvOAlJPHhHi1y586WUefQbnw-MctQABTTHKwpugedPCfi7M5gVFqkhAiuhw=w1527-h1091-no

I am really surprised I won this one

Plestia fell in February 452. It seems like Elbio gave his troops quite free hands, using it to fill Etruscan coffers, slowly dwindling away. Etruscans pillaged and burned their way through Umbrian capital. The young leader also gained some popularity. The war was not done yet, even though most of the Umbrian provinces were under Etruscan control. Despite several desperate pleas for peace from Umbria, Elbio marched on.

pSZATtHXXH7yA714gtYZw5xNCgqJvr0hRyWCYNKBYQ46gCDe-eYkTYJUvkQdMLrg5Vo2RJ37l0ONAAkAvcVvaNnXw9V-IE6E64haWAH7MXa7NF6A9gm5xcQeyW75ml3RflHbdn-rw4PfaJTv65dctRwHodOI6XT6COYT2Q7xGKDpeSI1gviKgBk7lLBRQbfw8gBnR2f5VHntDQPYA-bmTlNl8w6bON5O6YTAhegS8_w0lXHqoqGNepYuk83uUi_kdIVl0T-AEZvSVWl-LupD0AczkiGsTgGDbFalclSwbdnvxeC1iTw81ZezPyfIfx6U3FRfy8flyF3XVp1olPZltL8MJFngksFsT7hmenKZBzEjhx4i0fmM0nHy0Vt-fQ0H3SyB4ajaHl2ENmojrfSiYLyrIgGpCB6AfZFq4hEli-ZcuaAix5coMBcCw8JnTY_wAqqdrsunJ1wu2RLoG8FVTAi8AuqxDC46M9HwtbuoJ1qxETocdI-wdtrxMjq1P-Tl11QDvoea1LcsuMOiizWcFzGNIHNfyLSQ1mQzkqPYA5Iv1705upgw09VNX9DIOj3YCxVWHxbX3xGqVSQgqKmFCEMP05hu_QUOJTsUnbaTkfPb8vOTU8-bOq0EAk4ytMkqAu_ljsaX9SY2kTbqkojWVZoH9PEVy03um_XbBg3ZFOzSRF3l-z-RbYLCFkRXnGST_Y_EpQj-J0lxMghekw=w1038-h559-no

Terribly sorry, but we need the money

July 452 saw two armies clash in Trebula. It seems like both parties had acquired access from the Sabines and somehow, both ended up in their territory at the same time. The Etruscans had numerical superiority, were led by Elbio himself and were facing light infantry and archers only, while the core of the Etruscan army was heavy infantry. This time, the citizen army and the recruited army were fighting side by side and the result was overwhelming victory.

AbrZmzWs80XTUX53mmwqxlLMCAHBZTRMMkFjGpWt_lxYr6SeiuHhhgUxQR9CGetI_v0Ynv3kx3Re8S4YyjYs8qCFu65IATdaMmSXzppl8W-1ZWXdV0UuNWrmxgEcFGN5T1UfgEeEwgVgSQvrdmGK9kSGkHMNqLnNMjIVShUDI477x3Z86-Aw0h4TmrihYHv2nbiV1DCHHN4ikLHLZKjVcXsv81xKPgJqcaMYsQv_HCcXhZ7PYO-lubDlTB-VT0XCQetuTzVRxRMtYE7f9K98IXn2N9tA_yksFHiXUksZDDYKAqptOLwAE7SXCVcyWEv4Ijh_QwoVgEiCNPB-K5-pymtPj0YtIi8B1SCrwdpRyNWGOkyYivDj8sX0yq6t7qOE3wLwJCG19iI4svguicGju1TKmTJFys5jB82ewgeABK0W7ZYdshXkPE8ImBcIyyHzjkp-Njv9miEzfbP062nSsteZw09BzffeNL3SAYSk5Xr5zW10Ka3uV_Dq2KJANxE7M4gl3bD2_FlBj8f-fadXGTO6h4ROVK_GN4GCDdUdBS1wfCwCjiYZa_eo3WpZcYl50-CxqdJ5NH91Bcr41Ra6sez2NX6CpigeEKLd1XIEIJINdNaHETU8ijuS6zeZuENuZhV3RgVYXYoHEDF2ryhCxheGA4cFdjL4OCF-NWd9yxOizSdxRwty_3el21dcYwjO7tKpBCkcnMKjcuqZ5A=w1479-h605-no

Fighting in Sabinia

Smelling blood, the vultures arrived. The tribe north of Umbria, Senonia, also declared war on the Umbrians and Picenti and also, nearby Greek city-state of Ancona, who thought it would be good idea to join the losing side on alliance. The positive side was that the Senoni kept the remaining of the enemy forces in check, while Elbio marched hot in the heels of the retreating enemy to Aternum, the capital of Picenti.

JDfmWCkNhxFza9xax-TwHuqKhMzyshnlAoV9W-iToJYkPpWPnck90jGeHWr8WsI8oeg4xMl8ujfhkiQLFeWVD1be-u2GkjrqvTsFNJJUoV7UPQgvFtNHjXFFSDIDjzO3NIbYcVYCW4vnhpxH_rMDBMo9si0Blz_QalBDBEViy_Gs6oMsFWPQIfsjkZrdRuO-wu4-L2nPE9KnphIMVVLrHdxjPPVeKRNQDUTzI7Kn8z3rqSAczq9PLj8WEkD5h5uNeVJhScp5UznN7B6VzF8K6GTp9bDx05qKVh702rpRQXpxnD20TaW1a7jbJ7IIm_2wMm7KEsEDl4PjeDsZTlsK1QlZsDbLhxStbZ1VtN44N2vyENhNmCAZpMxKbisHST_vzUq0yhKIJ3dvuNQCheHMa8yBZqKu6WjYDzllOSUeLY7Y-wE2suQgiXlF4imeI5d3pugcXkhaayrisirsVLicOHT82e_NkvIIH1Itr6-e_qFqOIC59Ip4G_Q0ibgrxuixfstcfaCc27XjWpa8MRaopOixsptsxrIJXNN3VBfcNIeXxBLwtfRgKwEImb0FaduH7iHk9KNAQBfbzMNMFVELwaL7jPLIvj_D2vdzsvx0SFSaVfCElEDEoLhyZY2RDXpVzlH5vOwMJvARYd9eh-8GUT1s9ENN9KSFef6ddQ7J6rl4KIXe0nQtUqkVjXMWCuO0joSt9-t8UvkmXGlB6w=w1000-h526-no

Senoni arriving

January 453 saw the desperate raiding parties of the Umbri to sneak into Etruscan territories and sack the undefended city of Vesnth, then proceed onward and also sack Pyrgi, the capital of Etruria. Showing the serious lack of defences in the southern border of Etruria. Citizen armies marched to meet them and by June, the enemy was defeated. Neither Umbri or Picenti had any armies left by that point.

gUN6Q6gVzGK4WnHKrLyH2LlfgVSNkdAu6WRzuphB_mwJTTVRsAX5KrmkSBDsw-c4OrUKSw_ifWm8E29cl8vkEMlspR_FNzrJGu3uJ7j0VUBg95j2ShQBP-zMA3X35rWtG8SqtW-cRII2QrTxBA9ipMyS4vcSb7xBFsYMsqFK7N9ajarcQrFOrnmk4NbV64FqYNXpnCK4Tsc82MooVzw3RnY_N50nSnvkKzbn9zOjc3B_kWJwVpZDg6s2rPS7CKYrlx61QPyXLel9lNtoLLpXCPriMucd05nwGllNNRh6pAcgXUJE_IyrBMdCMCm79ccBSGfRlRh_i4VlcyveDOEqEcDIUgl7I1hvGFaavbRi1FW3HYyq1sY5JZIXhcvhE2PNKZQSyAh1kYXSH38foTyiijE4IiiExDRVgKfe6fxZ9TGApXc7WN0al9oSWVaqwL8bhC7zuyJOmk49XnThuITAu8W1CmgXoJ7oaVdldiPGHNZRF-7C9bIKsx3AeMkmmmO-DktUSdNDRJAzHr8a4XhHFywsuhU-CBzN03mNxSw68w3PE4gDCBrEVs24qwhd8sgOkyIpKAVNv1PdkBYUvfZsnWsHuVyAFKJ4zQKGfKHGOkf4ZhTysr0dU0twb9KWMUgGmIrfi_DjDuYI-hOi6gx_Y80y4v7WNY7UyuafPzJsY5rhOstJZIM6XsYnjUvqOH4258BzszOZQbbddOkSNg=w1049-h1100-no

Umbri sneaking in

Aternum fell in October 453. Elbio was much more lenient this time, allowing only limited sacking.

With this, all the enemy armies were defeated, all of the enemy land under Etruscan occupation and the ancient foe forced to their knees by the League. First war the the united Etruscans proved that united is the way to go. Etruscans took the territories of both Umbri and Picenti, and reached the Adriatic Sea. Incidentally, this also meant that Elbio had blocked Roman expansion to the North.

ILYkY3nt2g63ADNcpy-NJ-qPzNdKiDsiKj2gBjtLobf9xvkFd7u7ott9SRHTngpLweYa-6ShBPwp7Ob2jJUb36ieYdp3MO84vVHrqov9STOqzwYCYaWQ8XQzlFbXe6gaPGk9IxtqPQ3Sry4lPSL3KPKcL71rfqM7hwAuGslty-6QKKVdTi3oh7jgjrhz30T7GRpF_Fwih8ihJfIa9H9LMlhCCNizQVBotTASkwAhtck7Iwf62fkrwVeXLcSqfTDx07leJLxIlAImK_t2v5qvvu1dKuacjXBUU7TgqXzEHAfJVCYWUZJB1iU87Rq1-c5OFNFsLBQxEhwEkObFHuYlllUU86t7ZBej92ewFiKWGtzqrOchp1Zh7eGQ8IViQ9oV1qbwqf52rxYHoiaAIh4zSqiG9SmvYlXzcrscRzMnK4GX7dh1OyAZ3paThrEnMn8up5VvIb2bgPXDfZwtJS2i_VEMWS82PFKzfgsIEu6SjW4jXJF3ihFWBDWZ8t5iSTULruDUZy-QRA_JbR1JVcN1Lc9Y8O9J0uKYv3N4y0zGSK6X3MlPvRNUJV7WcH4TxpEQMhPoSaS06G3hsiAzF6cwZkh6U3-mJh6F5LMXmvt5cjrMUvBLlVbuPI-afAzqKZ4ynpSE9Kl3cKEF9yp6guyEna2v7nvrF6IC-j5hU_QUgH0Kg3bcHF87yisISixJnPkEhnLwOZxdhTeiy1NyMA=w899-h805-no

Etruria, now coast to coast

This was also a triumph to Elbio. Cementing the alliance with a war more successful than anyone could even predict, his position as the leader of the League was strengthened beyond imagination and his popularity increased tremendously. Increased even more when he decided to pitch the leading families of Umbri and Picenti against each other in the arena in Vetulonia. The seats were filled with people, cheering, as the former allies fought for their lives in the autumn rain, their blood mixing with rain and making the arena slippery and red.

siOSR-8Ugp7nng17aMPxvFjMFeGMkl2F5ObOWsQdL8ZUkN_-kPCHaMMkGcuc9Dm4dhMqdsv1DsQ2KOAQB--JRd_6vzkPj0d8yhiESNrbVP9kSS0dNaH854JTBKRpOP5s3FxX3Hyxw6UbjxJXfRC-NgG-kTZgX6ZD3Cfnu3Cp67FIvKkG5vYK7i1vQNdi8EoJXEgyxNT0HY8uOs0rGluaQ1koH7NbFoR9-ErWWmii2cvrYVUym0BRhkVUKev34dOPw8fC-bt1nW7YwUH16XRWbibT1ztCosiYxIeLxFPG7-QxyWB7WiIx6qVRM4iRVevP_Sw1YpkoeTSw7vryJKeqPKfBUy4LYoYi9ZOcBHkSTf9WCdMhRy_rpWwiH3gJRfFpvLzTZSd0WS5C7lifktwSrSblUPQ-DoW1s5BxzMNHljcjYGuwDY0ntpsaKKzqSJUFaxati76qjS4-kWOaqE6EzD51T8nZGdTdw2jjxRyF-JskM9RSHf86q-Poc1944Q0ltM5V89hs7jJmeTvgH_tvirv0E5hGbtWKat3S8kShVKPJorRdVqrfML6FKQHn5REKmHNbqbUzHSdKLsS7EnkZ1mPenSGRrrR2w7RORZB5MowYLGqNnHDyOKRg7D7STikBeci6izDzK9b9iPyeiQ9WHEF3ivQs9UQ0hzM6N4f35ulvKRYy17SOaBAGcH6AjQhdoJNIea4G60M3c-0iJQ=w993-h496-no

Elbio Vunturreno, now much more popular

Vae victis, as it is said. As the enemy leaders were forced to fight, the price of slaves in Vatluna went down due to influx of new slaves from conquered territories, soon to be worked in the winefields of Vatluna, increasing the production of the divine nectar in the province.

zRDOm8feJXVEXBE_sDAEYBpFEiqHvE38V3EIx6z05M03gkbBnaV-SQtlEH16RPAUBGAFqVaBLNVQ3X3FrbR7jO8o4RnxXq-F7K3k1CTZMuyMrVBqESmGo4mbzOf6zd9pATnzWpjg1VeKePSios3wA3XM-MM9iCq9xdPc1X8TTEMqmk46c4lkPk4rPPCnFGfORBmPaO6VXTHlnEydTNoBQfxXs2q-Ny5mPeILwDuWAO-pl84oGpw6WBN5X_e1OsZiLE91y4PmlNF5ymbCS7idvj2miAfSITwHgR01vBe6lQwjhoGRD5n8Yh28KmijQGp586u3xbzl3XFNiSQYsE4ZfoQGeBcgbVk7jMnIVLG0fiHht6FVoirpOiz4dt2z3isjpA_1JN1eZBkeRQHpTmcH2sBya0M7cHquv4j-yiqnpQjxKlilqUmGT-87imnqnEoKCVhb6tmwyq-HmUHK6DxlNRIa5_phXVQevGxJ7pROflI8qdqVzo0dDxK-lBpYVcHfzfwhzv6X0fRXIb0nhNjvVUrB4DWDvXmvGqAKNddyTdXck6146AUSNgkNhipz49t22A3GoYCnK05NInL7dCEu4fROuZJhjnAF8lWfUiulwbIai5bQFkXEtyU3pwyYbCCO3tfbCVIUx49NyhD0hxk9LyBs-k8-cnAjoofmRBw8GastiC8up-oOwfBhhBqjNjT0d_YsaLRecu3Qwff5TA=w1102-h614-no

The new slaves in Vatluna

At the time of Umbrian War, the Rome also went to war. Against a Greek city-state of Sipontum, a lone city circled by Roman territory in Apulia. Without allies and against the might of Rome and allies. It was certain that the days of Free City of Sipontum were to be snuffed out by the Roman wolves and their client states soon.

q2iTpLPxzU06NwBkq_INyJRjDj84vds2kQdLxXYiDk7FPhEL-FrCBvcRogsOqpDHC7fqkC5BS2qtd6xxXG0k3NrchrVy1GRE2VYEjTvRBbvkd8anAGj-huy-zSo8dwInQFsqWPKPB7qDf4jBDRZ9XVUxqVLzh9Pf7mC0VfjP0HNqP0QkiK0vSVGjD6ZzpFPQtdtWVTs4Hc1nRbKX6L6fZ1QHnpnE-uX5nbb-ahOOh7L26ektx8HIGuVO0yY6XBAlp5Ext1UM6TpUYytHQC5yoey6uc6TchAHG_ORV9OlXUYCSlb0P90D58FS5G2wUehH3ghFjCuK6RGJGVfJ5CvYlQ51Zm2a1APvYARQgt9MQl7R_rXwLWTfbaFhvfJRUtc2GOmtwLn0niy1PSqHMbh5xtdUxQ9au13--lFJ4rnw09lxHZVprgLD0VkOUsnF63kl127d062BdCMXZn-JdUzA1u-XQUQ6z7LMkOdIIGDfFBZHbiLGC8o5ZdPkswRHnet0UxdXmzw1VrSnekPzU0DEwEvmQGEtKXlevf69q9LkUwOH7CgW15KOwSs2w01h3WgU46ndXY9vOptr0kO5VvqAVPeC0J3fcDsSy_oy-woiP3G3csQxh80PDvjBCeJknY_Au62mlXmPLn0eDYk3ICPlDHmjyph2tUsCtkpjcUu6_E_cMAyPlnFTLpmvKtodtP81J7ttS7tLwaYIKC-DUw=w1504-h960-no

Rome also expanding

My concentration was broken by a loud cough. I lifted by eyes from the book and saw the source- an elderly Italian man, most likely in his sixties. Despite the heat, he was wearing a full suit and his shoes were glistening.

“I see you are a man of culture,” he said for introduction. Seeing my confused look, he said: “I am Massimo.”

As my confusion refused to go away, he pointed at the book. “You are reading my book.”

I gazed at it. Indeed, it had Massimo Venturini as an author.

“Mind if I sit?” Massimo said and taking half a second of silence as a yes, he seated himself opposite to me.

“So, why you are interested in Etruscans?” he asked without bothering himself with smalltalk or niceties.

Last edited:
    Mourning
  • Mourning

It is disheartening to watch a grown man cry. Cry like there is no tomorrow. Cry with desperation. Cry when holding his stillborn son at his hands. Cry while his beloved wife is in the next room, laying in the bed, dead.

It was disheartening to see his eldest son, Ceisi, just 4 years old, sit at the feet of his father, crying as well. Quiet tears and desperation of Elbio and the loud, uncontrolled crying of a child created such and contrast and yet such a unison.

Outside, the spring was coming to a full bloom, while inside, the darkness and gloom of the winter returned. Slaves and servants moved without making a noise, leaving a wide berth between themselves and Elbio. The shutters were closed and the lamps unlit. There, in the darkness, I beckoned a slave to bring me a stool. Sat down and placed my hand upon his. And cried with him and his son. Ceisi climbed to my lap, and eventually, his loud screams turned into quiet sobs, until his youth got better of him and he just fell asleep there, quiet in my lap.

Ch2oKAzNTG0KcN26Z_rztbydwuphFrjqgZy8TO6s3D8GaOAFk4kHVzgYD58WzW_ZXA3Nd6k3IBw5_yVeRYH-qsUFurM0eJwJVvi3T5u3jM8YRs6aR0DFlufbuCZwchkgnSXl0ACijwvrSgifrGhw3Z4SfsgIMuruVF0xh1P1BHiDcQDbT-epBlpXhLcSrsLjgAyYS33PyDMWuINle05RCavfzqXVZgOnPKwZSEy98rYDazHx-RdpqCNXaDQ0wy9Nl7OjAfS1pefzv1W8Qq42FEqxevlGlvBw2cMWbngT0HKkybzV3U4k7WM3B_MQdd37pdOQypg7I680mHHMhX0Im7VD14TX0GD4-1O0yG3NoEkDWMystOdS00wwrgL1-oxmfRKPqCb0AhHyLcxKQka7W09BA63wRQcnXQFHN04qoMWchj7H1_2iEqPWpJ7_yIDDDVqShYY0pp_M7alIJgu79Dki2HyaMD2Yvig8DeqEmkLcx2BgDX2lCjACf8js_m_A0FlK3OC2GniA1Su1xNuAXTC42LUI7tMLkkWhpj2eAXi1sqyWySBeJ9W2usRXB75afCj2MY6KkP6G9DJQm2wRASjN8CTqGjug3RPjpxL4twxeBtmoZ40XC69ecdF18CFUN5JGfKvAZIw7I2CnoR2WaPhDMAQj88N1AZwZDHWMHVF0P08weWwRsI4sFNFDsbBIjWexpfa3We2xc_xYlQ=w977-h707-no

Two blows at once

We sat there, in the dark room, for a while. Not saying a word, for what is there to say. All the words are hollow and meaningless. No words could convey how sorry I am. How I feel his misery. Nothing in the world says it better then me sitting there, with him, sharing his tears. Words are a burden of a civilization, useless in situations like these.

It was until much later when Elbio lifted his gaze from his son. Looked me in the eye with his bloodstained eyes, trails of tears smearing his dirty face. Looked me with a desperation in his eyes. And asked: “Lars, why?”

I had nothing to say. Not that he expected an answer. He just continued.

“The augurs said it will be fine. The augurs predicted great future for Pesna. The augurs looked at thunder, gazed at the flight of the birds and examined the livers of sacrificial animals. They all said that Pesna will grow up to be a great leader. That me and Nerseada will grow old together.”

He burst to tears again. “Yet, there he is,” looking down at the child. “Life that was snuffed out before it even begun. And with him, he took the light of my life.”

Whatever else he had to say changed into quiet sobs.

Still, I did not say anything. What was there to say? That priests are just humans, trying their best to understand the will of gods, but occasionally failing to do so? Or that the priest are just humans and do not dare to speak of a bad omen to the leader of Etruscan League? Or that gods can be cruel, treating the lives of us humans like playthings? Nothing that I could say would lessen his grief.

I just sat there, holding his hand, in silence, until Caisi woke up. Blessed be the innocence of the children, for he had done his mourning. Now, he was hungry and did not hesitate to inform us about him. Forcing us, adult men, out of his lethargy. Elbio rose his voice, calling for servants to bring food and light. Then, he beckoned the head of the house to take his dead child from his lap. The man did so, gently, while Elbio suppressed a final sob. Then, he ordered the boy to be washed clean, to be clothed in finest clothing and to be taken away, The same for his wife.

Then, he ordered the strongest wine in the house to be brought, with two cups. We drank ourselves to stupor that night. In silence, in darkness. No toasts, no music, no dancing. Just the two of us. Not drinking in the memory of his child and wife, but drinking to forget. Until the darkness of alcohol came upon us and we dropped on the floor, and slept like pigs. Sweet, dreamless sleep.

Next morning, we woke up, got ourselves cleaned, changed clothes to new ones that did not reek of spilt wine. We rode to necropolis. We watched as the priests lit the pyre under Nerseada, dressed in the finest linen, holding little Pesna in her hands. We watched as their souls, now leaving their mortal bodies, danced with the smoke, playing their final game in this world, and waved us goodbye as they parted to what is hopefully a better world.

As the fire cooled down, Elbio himself gathered the ashes of his wife and child to an urn and carried them to their tomb. Craftsman had already begun working on a grand sarcophagus, with Elbio and Nerseada sitting side to side, embracing each other at the cover. Elbio burnt an offering at the entrance to the tomb, as he did every day for the rest of his life. Matters of state permitting, of course. But even when he was on campaign, he still burnt an offering every morning.

8-8yLDvbi6YaBmi96xOpLoyYZkhcapiPsWb8HmKvl-v4gminrhm_HLqrW5w9CdDkh7bttMvjGb-4OzY96VAWDqEoLiHbQph3e1dP_VvUuXj1EA-_21O4-ZxSEmuUZD6ZtdFvtMzbw-HPR4gp61HemOC0GdxG5kzs8M9BfGZXBjR_mBq-NcrnCPv3ZuiFhaE_ZfL-QRfuENWgzfbqZMCR-x63QHBBAy6cE4WPvrFNnjWOm2OzoGuw4S0U8x_kPmElSvyDHR6CsppPxCuWUJpAKhD14MgsGlQMDza7ziw1AWm7K8n87zucuPOQ1c0UXkEn4ZzwaL-tjEh3vJrCbNcDmx_7dVJTmu5TsAG0bs8aU7l4Iwq4IdQPpJBwIEJLejEjbJovnQigieiBM1ma3oXUB7q1_zZXM_kCOX4-mY_uP-qIP1lbIuyN-Wf27s9XUCofTjRrzrApzfcxtDa3FijUdObvj3nh_dRyyv9IN3cXV52gFfA2IpSxifzIpI74DVrKf223lY_2bEZLBbSQr3CIMJObmsjDy0Zl-ApQP4iYq5DBvVKjmKTPripKJvpXQOaJsjj2RWi2G_oJRveG8thZFdC12vwU3QMs4p9Fd837X8XjNSb3N92EbspGHTJSdaa0Oxw_1xei4Ua0GeDtUC7io_SY3iQqaZSDqeccFbuu1945P37pXKOVaoxjpP82blpR99ZwwUebubxiV7U8rQ=w491-h358-no

Sarcophagus of Nerseada

Elbio became a changed man that day. Losing much of his youthful cheerfulness and enthusiasm. Losing the shine in his eyes. Luckily for us, not losing his determination to turn the tides of Etruria.

mUJl8z882_ZFLTgzMT31W4PPVEHfhXZPJZ3NVFAzUXP2W6R-i8mUd4E00Et1VVDHLaYHSmgpjMPzk1Tjjl7mgq0jPjFNhr_R7SLOXdQA3PGw02XxNPeI6UFLeWLYixSQ7OfQTqOBzrlYlQRqrRbc1czwNZTat4ffIKcSdOaISBqX25DpddNryp6pDrW81_T6EDKq7LYYemBS6MnlJDxB3KuAFfpUgPmP6MH4wARz9xfKcT6DSCS8rNsZOlTIUJZM2NzVDd_bfSiy3dSn7mBg9tUrvUn0oyP_4xsO_Yjq-eictKpzj5L_GU7JSK4xucoWPhmNiduHD8mO0QxzX5vAG92i5qGwKM3R70L7SZoo1kb8sLfb081pmI8c4smgASC5cHoM4dNjFI0pR8N9j-CvPSrl5iRKZwpUxJ03CEIDpUsCmlN3O9bA3Ikt4rowAfiW9iDOUWvB-rKwO9DF2CbrY3B-c1lJb7f6Vk8tS9YqLb10iRHKDuoz5_KZvdkOY3L4fObVlnGRM85oak2Y3gdFzhJVD6YhWbOSctYzYNLU3GxF-SQIS1KjK7Q8FAiU5GBlwogansWLB_iWvTaUr-dsvQCAQcj-b2KrkA6R3bUbV13yjaVeVW4EZ6LTlPxHbMuRfh1YxpUUUfKCdlr_ESlcAr7wbQyx3EUMp2gKt3yWocAqf-LP85Xht2fpS3cOIUv9GAB9Q5OkGiw0fqN3vA=w983-h312-no

Elbio, not willing to let go

No ruler can be unmarried. Soon, Elbio married to Titia Tertia, relative of the wise one. In his heart though, Nerseada was not replaced. And when he dies, then on his sarcophagi he will enjoy the eternity with Nerseada.

QPWcpfx6klwlThkFn8HPJogqHWjxM9qwfyoln6kyVB2vp-l6lCfdqm8rF0lcCv617h32JnKzHRgPBqe5BaGXToBjsFBLCKaWbI04nOwhz5Mh6pm7db53hAQ72tmV8nWhlLbw30a1cpXAj2Ors2TJXAD_aBZNnyc5_u-GSqf0Hxc18Gn3pFK23FoxkO1SZ5CAWe_Sd7lYKBFNe2pg8Z4W9HDDQkVuh2eH2Qjio0_aPrWnS8DF6iRj3oH6ajxOPAUDA-_kefgDfMjDuMmIp5DoMJNu-_eZDUAVFG7PMQZCVpD3p65z21Hg-6Wnea_fJAbApsxXpgxu4inj8lqCk8xZ4leeq8250BlKSKVbOY0zEN6AF3xT6sTce7B59Q8lrTfbKcxVy0wz4Htu0fQ1RwvvEHOSDj5zF03KbMvLgiagOTRnf306MoJTgqgH95X3EfnmJA9V-QkMuR53p2DEfY55h4hVkQTWBmrehmlxrG2aSHRf3y09vEaHSaeOGLkjJrJXLFdDLJImItatNpWFESrSCK2y2px-Ywv33WSSIoLWtF7mXYxfrprivp4nCct9pyh1wuMsWJHQ7i-Sf_ZbWlJ-z1ztdnW8TMFax4lPR6uxxivA1jNXTNDrbl4b4WLn6Hle6ssT5CoEtjHew__5B1nwjQ7UwXxXGrQLJRiUQkGiSS9uIgv6u7oohpSG-rCWkrQsum9NfuILE7GjksTryg=w553-h307-no

New spouse

A Lecture
  • A Lecture

Massimo sat down, then, on a second thought, stood up again and extended his hand.

“I am Massimo,” he repeated.

I stood up as well and shook his hand. It was a good, firm handshake. One given by confident person.

“I am Turms,” I replied, realizing that these were actually my first words in this exchange.

That shook Massimo. Obviously. Though his outer appearance did not show any reaction, and if we weren’t shaking hands, i would not have noticed. Just, suddenly, his grip stiffened and his pupils dilated a little.

“That is an interesting name,” he said, perhaps a bit too casually. Or, it could have been my imagination as well. “And I imagine not too common. Any particular story behind it?”

“Not really, not as far as I know,” I replied as we both sat down again. Massimo waved the waiter and the man disappeared to the interior of the cafe, not bothering to take an order. “This is just a name that is traditional in my family. My grandfather was Turms as well, and his grandfather and so on.”

I shrugged. “If there is a story behind it, it is lost in times. Now, it is just a tradition.”

“Yet, you are not from around here?” Massimo asked, obviously gazing at my pale, though a bit sunburnt skin, blueish eyes and potato blonde hair. Stopping to assess my shorts and t-shirt, coupled with “fine Italian leather” shoes. I smirked, knowing full well that my entire appearance just screamed “stupid tourist”. This, plus all the dust and dirt gathered from my small trek to Vetulonia was in stark contrast to Massimo, whose flawless black suit, shining white shirt, handkerchief extending from his pocket, well-kept gray hair and glistening shoes gave an appearance as official as I was being casual. I imagined myself, wearing black under Tuscan sun and knew full well that my appearance would turn into well-roasted pig within five minutes and admired the Italians for their tolerance of heat.

“No,” i just replied. “From Estonia.”

To my surprise, Massimo just acknowledged the fact, commenting that Tallinn is a beautiful city. I had already prepared the usual reply to the traditional upcoming question “What the fuck is Estonia?”

“Turms is an unusual name for an Estonian though,” Massimo continued. “Very unusual. Have you looked it up?”

I nodded. “An Etruscan god, similar to Greek Hermes, a messenger between humans and Gods.”

2vE87bztRFadUdlWoZXccdIbe13-qcbNy2aQvpRkiLSse9iB3rKIDlgBYZii2c8EVVXHAcqyllNPltMpgjkXOQNyIDqwdblXh_lxFTtWkI-ekqwQmqcRlw7DjJJIeH0B0yErFk8j98nf5rT8p_R512QyvZLTI8LUsnKK5aE1uViwBPrE4eiIBMT3LLVvyN3nqMKXimIpA4q_z1dDNAW_o3OHBXgbrn70_aONmQbu7HFXjGALCy0vi8xQOEyEpQC9FP-DXzHSkdpodXtXhNzGrJl0ZwM1M56yyo6ukmPMsumlf6qJOScScCMP6tYLwTs0O_HDX_tH_mgOdqjVKpoagDWg-VsqsTe8h6O1m4mibvC55KPFystjiXFID17YjRM3y8gFyBqdJG02gWGcFelTCFgn4lZHd9xisWlgcCIKGNVCoj7sgymKAzkQm1tM9shfK-JQwGGnTC_QPg1EH245mqMhzS4ABeLp8BjisQNh5M7VSGzV183HDCGmzeKL4Lylhy1b4B97Lp9za5dDP_p95sgXOC_fLMXHzPLb9VJFFc8JGGoPyqHLizlR2ldLv_8TJjmNRN-6Zgt02ig_6FjWyp7NlNaPZ_KaXc2A6JoU_WNnTu1MNdUTlrzUZl1abwDxV9k8bUWRDpKqIKpyiUncKZ2paFFgutaTaZaIC-xcNJx4bhOByXveoE_gmceZ0yw6hpzJHBZvXF-KSrqUkg=w1020-h1024-no

Turms, or in Etruscan alphabet

“And you have no idea...” Massimo was starting to ask, but I cut him.

“Why on earth do Estonian former serfs have Turms as a traditional name that has been apparently carried through centuries?” I shrugged. “No-one knows. No-one even knew that Turms was actually an Etruscan deity before I tried to google my name.”

“And it holds no meaning in Estonian?”

“It kind of does”, I replied. ““Turm” is an Estonian word, though not commonly in use, meaning “doom””

“Hmmm” said Massimo. “So, it is either an ancient Etruscan god or doom?”

“There is a third option as well,” I grinned even more widely. “Coming from German word “turm”, Estonian version is “türm”. Meaning “jail cell”. So, my name is either Etruscan god, doom or jail cell. I think I prefer the first one. Or, at least, the first one makes more sense, even if it makes none. Who in their rightful mind would name their child Jail cell?”

At the time, waiter came back, bringing two glasses and one bottle of white wine, apparently as cold as it could be, bottle sweating from the sudden contact with the Italian summer. The waiter opened the bottle and we patiently waited as he poured us the sweet nectar.

Then, Massimo took the glass, beckoned me to take mine and said, laughing. “I think I prefer the second option.”

He rose the glass and said “To your health, mister Doom!”

I laughed and raised my glass as well. “To your health, Massimo!”

“So Turms,” said Massimo, holding the glass and leaning back, “Your name is the reason you are interested in the Etruscans?”

I nodded. “This was the initial reason, yes. After I looked into them, I just found them fascinating. And the fact that they are largely forgotten today made me even more curious.”

Massimo pointed at the book: “So, how far in are you?”

“Etruscan League just won their first war and annexed Umbria and Picentia.”

“So, you started with the League?” he asked.

I shrugged. “While I appreciate the earlier history of the Etruscans, to me, the League is the most interesting part of it.”

“I kind of agree with you. My favourite is how they overcame history and averted the supposed doom,” he said, grinningly, as he rose his glass again, pointing it at me, “Mister Doom.”

“The wars are always the most fascinating parts,” I noticed that he had made a switch to the lecture mode, so I leaned forwards, took a sip and prepared to listen. I mean, after all, he wrote a history book that wasn’t totally dull and apparently, this is his favourite subject. Should be interesting.

“The people tend to ignore the time between wars. Or find them not so interesting. It is easy to miss that success of the war relies heavily on what you do in the times between the wars. Because wars are not won on bravery alone. Wars are won with money, resources, intelligence, alliances, good weapons and armor. And of course, bravery.

Etruscan League was still a fledgling nation. Elbio had a long way to go before the nation became unified. Citizen armies versus conscripted armies, independent cities now answering to higher authority, integration of new lands and of naturally, money. Or lack of thereof. All the issues Elbio had to tackle.

Amongst the first things Elbio did was to try to tackle the financial issues. Mostly, by implementing national taxes. Not the most popular decision, but the upkeep of the army was not cheap and Elbio had no other choice. Begging for blessing of Aita daily, plus trying to find a fine point between keeping the country afloat and not robbing the people dry. He kept doing the reforms for the nation, and after a few years, Etruria had adopted all the traditions, granting a bit more power to the nation.

v5E2-kfI12Y1_99u4_Mkl8AOziIFLdlhRqI-havhT9qMTZvJMOE9UCnLWtjkKL3y_Tnt9lT0KR8Xxr6ppMfydeHagX-P6hW2QtmenJFHIIslxdLT3V1Qc0yIggn9jvs9PkdJhmCDD6Z-hnjRNCT3aVmzlTMQGvVSR6JueDM0rcP8EotKGrz9CvtYiLWAfNEEIv41o4fRO7ZkWayhEOOqZJDdYwfU3daimbodE3T_fy_qXa6HyedQqkAOR-jrP5uPuMwOXw58RcJHfyMSIJ66J_LUgn5hSbysrQ20_nBvAvywW4U0VTFkCLpxvsSN4tz5y0yhOBzETX6SBWLKH06p4Y5tn6t3GjXs0u2yjMGgkOs5Vo9Hu4QKkmpKjTEvJjhrkkuyUQqXVuG-pZPGDq_vzYnyxjbsovonBmo1hIqzhi9eoSjkmuP4y5kfmoGyhJ3JUwkcfVv56W47UbXd10OTLArp25z5kLRKlzrL-sXyjXkkjyNY3zkVwSulGSzItI99vo2gL48SPXFAg3pHi9WowLu_Lbg3McszfpE0D3wVSjtyL4kVb2HROU4cbYJs_LBFWRsIPdC4jhwwjjiwJLs1dPRlfurjif7XbzSEXp8STPggRm_aA7_6chFSlR418qhM0vLWDtMAkOJ9cTUwafqUyfsmW7yvhNphSlp5s1KxHXIWD0sL7WYypm0kHthTkkGBFZO2SxXPfV83L7Totw=w841-h605-no

All ideas

Then, there was trade. Newly conquered lands meant new trades. Wood and olives were sold to different nations, increasing the national income even more. Also, Elbio started them import of grain from Carthage to Tuscia, encouraging the growth of Etruscan heart.

VMCxwGw1gp4bb8H-if3W7DOZLDwYlHBJwFplJEjSUSBJnHduGF6YEF5Fgr_-SNumbB8eaN1ZnpUt4MyGHuu50qwmq56iw4TjiYsqUxotpYDQyQ1gkoU-qrZWWLWv9O2XrIJBGiZTi-_dipUTb5V8qK1-E8yKE3QBjeTI4smqvzCOKyHU4ngewyth_JN9a9_Wo1AWUNxX7KgfCwSs4-jOD_HWuZhhmTnx6ItwgYk2TJp7UALVTz5SFDov4Z7pz-JyjG7UXz0w9ZI1EtdmzkeaeYKucgbG-Q8l1w6FzsFhKSqcDRglD3KmVsgqBx2_nB_UJvlmwa2vOtTtAm4f4wifxjbj3MxmmmT6qv3xhQVCyvrbcFRQ7D-8yHwFYT6aSTKgXLJwT7ugQdgW-XfvENc4sma8gf39kz2ySaq2L_pIlNYo8niNYdryB3Vo3VJz4PpRgddFYRNppL_8NqYmK_m1Ehb0neKJHzJ2VtcWBeAZS-hZWYJWE7m_V9PlTIaQpzRgX135yKid3lrd4io3neULf_17q07Cfx4dn3ZVnaJFcgAjx1KEO4F_jRxt7Wn0F4zpbIKhz96MhYZvaaA4fY7S3zx4vMyeoWD6ae0zfj2Xt98EsZNX4NozTyLrn5G2_1taWOqIi6a5uVNo78hcGRWpQQvZ2cRayEoyviLpuTf_1PPjqCjIsSez0TJCbN96ZCDw2UzhnQn19yKnUYGwpA=w1411-h315-no

Olives and wood out, grain in

Also, Elbio made several advancements in the time. Most important was perhaps again the taxation reform, though perhaps the most fascinating ones are the collected instructions on how to read omens of different kind. Etruscans were deeply superstitious and their info on how to interpret the messages from their Gods is a fascinating read. Better training methods for new recruits and more devious methods of justifying the wars as well.

iyOQu7flEMvUp6wrrDCS6LN5_PvQqPcWYzwVnRilna5UFWFqfGHriZzJJrbPiz6ltJqTaxtJXVxmabcL9o8ZrN4mZJSqL20eq-qky_7bDXA6UloS6DdPM2g1IFKBb43zJHfB_A-0A4F7BSvSiGD9xe4CDYirKCCwApXxnRLlAQrtqbUWGxv_sLj5WK2X9EookLBcsSBv0_94vFZSkUP4AiV7ohMAV3mZP4Wgawa4K0zOdQ7SJXZUIdkx-tlZHumxT_OsBjF4nbkn0SoS6UnDu2TKznj4Y91p5zVWhzdU-tgmw5zTMc9HjZ1TYYAF-PiPON04CIZKqnDw4cWBDnpDDsM7-GWVeGmk3bpASkB_IlbvZmZqBFQrEFwZRK9enbr-6NxvWtEoexRDrlIZKLU0GQKS4xF9FuSYJz6_lCEEQIqj8WB0x6-MLr8JLTHmolW3Fz0s22HpLmvZXNL3iRm9O5DsQDXm7uNlx-sNPjN3eldJvmRjMxlY_nwe_m3femRBgyNSBj2kqodDuhKcih3l76byLUYJrRKF8EmHQ3sQW3GLOclh5V5GugE1gcov7lG820PB3098vUbSoDTC2Tf8ms27aJdaWMR2yqqtXX_jx46waPPBkvpq6YDAaoqGDFCXDIzkYlhUYS9dtLKICGcdZ-wAVo3odK8WZhw2FnggIYzcOOIYFtikv0Ino7iLKSuy8Vq4rI6W1OhLzUxoDA=w1145-h491-no

Discoveries of the various kind.

He also did not forget the army. The Etruscan heavy infantry, armored and armed with either sword or spears were a terrifying sight. Well-versed in battle, working in cohesion and hiding behind their shields, they were hard to hit and hitting hard. Elbio introduced a Roman concept to the Etruscan armies. Principes- a wealthy and veteran elite of the army, extremely well equipped and trained. Sent to where they are needed the most, few could stand on their way.

nAdGQWKiWd4J_B0xnK6gdfFwSFRhPPcEoUt3YMaDu7ELS95wgYnhCS1b2kFbcMvKHp-oXr5GnUJ5-x-3afSFcXCQmMvyDxBMVs4XDhHn1jxAXCZjMGTL6mzV4Oi_QmZAftOhNIbQ1VUaX80f39zdw-T0KbkQyQdhveWVcilmIlasiCgJ4oAoA1dBoI8pHJNJbx1i0t3Fv-k5fuut9YwL2jStc44DyJjbKjAzb-p5axY57VENXQj8GQGpQmZdas46giljOsQ8h8gLO5CFeg2vXYJ9M3raGY4MF0E8klB4heF-ZrPWVR7hF1YUS2NT6uywzbXuXyWzLVwBA3GEfsG-JRYwzgpNyNnc90FWYIQMC3GFbLa7pGTrofxWsaIFLtRab4XB3B3aXY3Gn9hME7ElWmomIoLCAH4hWFGMby5RKyTXcEloow7UyQWNaPS-0Seudm6hsAgObltYgAuiNy6-yPMAOOtQAwFKOTQWLerWu-u4XGdB4etCKi9JhlP6Uw5Nca8JqdbOcEBsIrlT2CuufIqy5gCdrUujs91FfVgFwPMYUt5Vr7CiJqwsCfIpqgk4TK21daTUuUH0YDBTY8CW2CxAsNbx2KByl3eYCAMuLCM44Zx7VQgVsNB7wsoMVWnaNaMIrpiZUISby3Bqn_19zwZGdnwiS7amfIa9jN5PzEqMILYwSEdgtOYNr7DSP3gHr0QR9l_t9oGu_TmtCw=w616-h769-no

Principes stolen from the Romans

Principes were not the only thing Elbio learnt from Rome. Fully realizing that somehow, the Romans had moved past the Etruscans, he took a deep study of their culture and values and took over some bits of it. The institution of these values was not without issues, of course, but overall, Elbio managed to keep the Etruscans happy and make the federation a bit more centralised.

WJggavXHX1RF-p4ftIOT2F6ZQgzBitLwwl58Pmub0yxucaH6IT32ITN79bTOa9HtNYkJpxV95Hfi8K4iMG8VwWejlgUcGql0zdXNxtzN-q5kMib2xH6IPxfcGrWnb828PJxNR09Zrcr7zU9CZyQSi1DvVaU5gSqD7CEMG1Q01IQ4lsJ6B6GhH6BT0YzQz0TbSOr66VMMMO9fYuvap2wX-1eqOPGxbiDNcL27_gzAKmquVMSFbPub2HPBAx6oChua0XCi6CmHREahV9LUJ4sGqRaNCzYtnSmdsek9xyxj8Op5V79mZxeHzzGjZZBbpLbffpf8SStcBHVhRgEFyvyPwtrJG4B1S9c41zLGx7Kq9C6_vSzhAzK7lB0RKFzQwgk_OQDKl-LWwO_UeKNnIozUJndPfJuqyQzvyY33fKsOBw-enFilefKu9COaZXju6sFE7Tdil_OO_mtICGebrJwx_YLU11ZXI7eYDZqvHSr9bvXIkm7LmkreZhfB1wOVp9aKrAgTR1jG2MlmvV74P6cKEaTNUJTadai-HOEfUImYFgaBHyBHLHdqS1a8W-u9Tb6_p_YErkvh5t-RqGCvOghHVIpDOx9fCGOY8OPflva2X0PSM__Vx36XXL8azfuWnGkb86dy5Azuy6ocC88g3kran35EYEAU8CIyYURr6wcylVxfZJ-iHWcOK932Yjlig4fjYqWldAA3ImNup5SCaA=w1031-h455-no

Rome can be an inspiration

As for Rome, Quintus Fabius Rullianus came to power. Man of the military faction, wanting to expand Rome with the military way. There were some problems though- most of the Roman expansion was blocked by Elbio by various treaties. In addition, one of the first things Elbio did was to fill a gaping hole in the Etruscan defences by building a fortress in the town of Vesnth, birthplace of the League and border-town, next to Romans. Roman legions will have much harder time penetrating the Etruscan heartlands now.

y--dvhEPttu0q-kRyjLf1rtQvviDXoJep3bCLRicLkTEvg9-VPt5YUnoo_HtFaCRA0j4Pj5QbLx40FJi60qt4Q0Kpbg8jJKWBZAQU0kRnk1Wj--FGo7PJ80ZhQ9wHcXeS0aV3mYwME-z8lSIruzyyl-Vgs648IRr19urdZAW2gR8Ytsjmrs_6AJdUACG_3gMIkrzqQ-TChtgtMdotx_ISc5TVVCB2bcrq9ig5zO60gY3dP-nlOZ0_hjPG46ferkMn8NTqvAVcA7LW88xdHcTdvIrR-CL3AdXUJFtZP_2Y0xsvVzx2z8xfbiEl1MyVshoJThZQ0hkT_SPefaUk8oQ7Ky_MquWm6w9Xr3g3gyAvJTJ5HMCfAmCrw7uTE5qvCkYU8004DoyszmntB2rMqSLNaJgmFEcwGqpKj5fWeJ3sOxGpGPPQvLn1f0i3G8X_3iYrzPLnqY8pUGuAa8FeDNVSLYfqPLfXqZzOyVF1pQrFzDYr1nlH8D7Tg4OLk_9Z8rzuYnzlYsviZWHy0KGRWFWgM98EIWK6YbkP2CYsaQxL3MzU46QqXAg0McXIRRiOp5stJVzSaO431fHS_drPIzccHQHEZzexZpGYBj62s9s844k5cZc5KZJTlF2NAdDJuiCKvu9lmOfvD1LwKvoAC71I2W4j7sUM2do3xgoreqokiGJUKVoREYej4UPuyhOmY2houPH4V1Ztyj5CcVF_A=w1830-h931-no

New Consul and new fortress, blocking free access to north for the new Consul

As for foreign policy- the Etruscan allies, the Macedonians, were successful in their war. Cassander Antipatrid successfully ended the war with Epirus, expanding the Macedonian borders to Adriatic sea. Only Strait of Otranto now separates him from the cities of Magna Graecia. At the same time, Rome annexed Sipontum, a small city-state surrounded by Roman territory.

QGgrBNFByxfoLayFqJxx2FyuwJG-eHYaefqjpF1KJAN5N-WSxEk14ehFHOUuLuDg4jTlA4arw2Smb3kEOhwHYgkuSBxmNr3mNmXlrbwJF5dKZ0iOjgw3FgUjTsaj-bsBuT6qbOAOq0JoNodlwKTMTUxVrv_k7IX3ycFHNLcFppbo0Mg2YS6Yqa2vHIo0CxdlgdA3424fR4HkUmPtOwh-YPwcDTPpBs7NS0QcHOmThWM8TO4NEyjQChBR3-L7J4T4S-aDtxFTsTLyx01sreSArmTbFDrK8whvH_SeSeUdueG5L6_8BRVrDMcXjBiN1QKnObcMAL8RScNhHDmRMHns12icwXOnoFbcibYpan8nPV5vO_gmjzHyuWTQ03SHAKVsIZHw1nMUH0SGYhvVKIjCODrB9j6j_sHjJ9KsL8nSI-7D2x4XkqWmF9ndt-f3mepOSczU-bmR2PFwhpx4hOi8Vdwbf_HIG8Y5m0u475siTN7ZUD5ig9H1nTdKO4uBXob1aM_osCbhK5CDKM8yphpgnQZm0B55Zeub4voWGaXl82C5cB8woMh8FXc2gDUpAD5CSyEek0DW_xAzqY-jGmi-PuPOn91kLh8tLwFJXJvJeQhAwQT3bjOfxWd3NPpqNBy9-ZuTtltW9BDmG2VpChc_zTeQSjly-BvfdgACATPVE5JWYC8oMQM9VyRDgShR1f4EqmgGX2TECTd8ADVl8A=w1296-h845-no

Antipatrid on a roll

Elbio, still mourning over the loss of his wife and son, became also a father of two daughters. Over the time, he became less melancholic, but sources still describe him as depressed, broken man. There was still some light in his life, and his determination to see the Etruscans rise again kept the man going.”

nf6Rhx8CGTIyp1Zi64wLpaM7A5s8t38O2IB9rfHCSkpgEsd5cfAZ-YIBJx1g9lHZeTPBY7-mPXyyJXYCTJscw_DOzwOJVQSxhHBgsj6BNRECey16xYQU5jG_a0eRnANvu1lXxf19_-mkfWeiDa_PcfMG_McQ5CYG14j-X1S5zSYYjFloSEOdEEq9fzO4MUuUDzhF3-4k2U-mssYGdlClE1SOr0sB0AFKCc-WoAXqpL8ynqgIjRjvXWVwTmW0h30KiG2lXHzmb-xbhYB-lN5EaFJ9-_XepEo3XvJ8sAmwoQurVCbbw_pSGYYH4LT9fjiGz9TauGLNqKF8SCl_ScrD5oQTedz-8Oh3y9LZbUKzEpKaHrRHg9TNqNFwqRcX6_t0svfrXtcbkklEhgcQvzfd1yY7RMm6Qjrw4pQnNb9X-C-EPezCRdoqqVohEX5k83QxT4DVu8dMx3Vj9kujBimeQlNAH5swJNVN2jcCFJKOxanqRelNY3u8s8xHIBGOWyq64An-9-SueWn7t6Ay6KcJEbr7ElJGb89GRd7RZMz4M7SD699pkbc2FuNi3naVUvMOHknOjUw0pOzynJMXHp5Jj70ZiJQ-r9t2tHb7ppLqs2klI7Ez8RlzN0zzcdtGlCKzwRVbDOxzOxpEqu-Wt5WpHqn-50NQ1DVVscpwiUYjwesCtjSRhvaHcHCjYCv5KLlVX0Ols7Ky_5dUgoLFPQ=w842-h409-no

Elbio, not in his best form

Massimo took a breath. And a sip of wine. “As you see, peace is important as well. Several developments started by that time allowed the Etruscans to be truly successful.”

I nodded in agreement and said: “Vulturreno was a truly inspiring leader. But, as usual, now it is time for war, right?”

Massimo nodded. “Oh boi, it sure is. War is as important as peace, you know.” There was a boyish glint in his eye.

Stones Lie
  • Stones Lie

“You know,” Massimo suddenly changed the subject. “Most people think that history is set in stone.”

I just nodded. “You cannot change the past, after all”

Massimo grinned, baring his perfect white teeth. “Indeed so, you cannot change the past. What has happened, has happened. So, you might say history is set in stone.”

I nodded once again.

He took a proper dramatic pause, then continued. “But stones lie, my friend.” He leaned a bit closed and repeated with a low voice “Stones lie”

I think he enjoyed my dumbfounded face a bit too much. Then, he burst into laughter. And clarified: “Stones lie. Papyrus lies. Clay lies. Parchment lies.”

There, I started seeing what he meant, but of course, it would not do for me to reach the conclusion on my own, so he continued further. “People lie. Even people like Elbio. They add to their achievements, downplay the importance of others, sometimes outright omit some other people or even nations.”

He pointed at his book, still on the table. “Open it,” he encouraged. So i did. “Look at the date.” I did. 2002. He half-sighed, half-laughed. “I have told the owner of the gas station several times to remove it, for it is outdated. Hopelessly so.” He shrugged. “The owner refused, telling me that these sell just fine, and he still has a couple of boxes left.”

“Back when I wrote the book, we had very limited details of the unifying period. At the time, it was a local affair in the backwater of the known world, so we do not have much in the way of contemporary writings. Mention here and there, but nothing special. Our main source were the commemorative stones Elbio himself had posted around Etruria during the later years of his life.” He smiled again. “And as i’ve said, stones lie”

He leaned back, took a sip of wine and lit a cigar. Or, in other words, he built up suspense. I decided against letting him tease me too much, and did the same. Well, the wine at least. Never understood the point of cigars.

“About a decade ago, we hit a lucky break. A Roman named Marcus Tullius Cicero fled Rome at a time about 50 years after the event. He ended up in Egypt, found the favor of Ptolemaios number something, and spent the rest of his life there. Apparently, the poor sod spent most of the time praising the good qualities of the said Ptloemaios, in both oral and written word. In his spare time, he wrote “Of History of Etruscans”, and about a decade ago, we were lucky to stumble upon a copy of a copy of a copy. Ironically, from a monastery a few kilometers from here. It caused quite a stir amongst the experts of Ertuscans, I tell you.” He paused for a second, considering. “Not much of a stir, then,” he added, with a shrug.

“I gather the accounts of Elbio’s propaganda and writings of Cicero differ?” I asked

“On several accounts. Like, the best description we found on a stelae near Voltumna.” He took the book and flipped it to correct page. Then, he read out loud: “During the first year of the rule of Elbio Vulturreno, he gathered his brave countryman and marched to the lands of Umbri and Picentii. There, he looted and sacked the countryside and the cities, fought great battles and by the fourth year of rule of Elbio Vulturreno, brought the enemies to their knees, forcing them to bow to Etruscan power.”

“Not as detailed as descriptions go...” I said.

“It was a small stone,” he shrugged. “But, a particularly dishonest one...”

5k4_5IMjgM7jjv6u0UsQv-dGi4l8TL1Y1YcCtsG3RsvYO60IbSi7sbYLanMfL8Wy2_oC3L7uVcBLbtrqBbkTbX2DkWTUILTmU8p4CYaB1wyBwzEwi28F0mTG2z_kvoQC2dXVx3qfIN8ArLfZpT9ZhT0n4ir9UCLGz63Ql8xK5MBrtbsHzpAWhXc_IWmBCT7UV6lxCPgGjwYSJ7bi83hY6IhsE5_7boT-ZmYOWi-ibq5JQCGwR_343gy92GGrtK5-NFmHbs84-qDFXUe1rhsI8NFltp1G1uMFZmK0YoUuJgzmdkh0hXyU7FodRlsHioNAOzypBhjJaf1URO7XClot61soa6n6394qvDGSW67l7h09fmLOpo-9D2YaNhomrDDigZR3woTWZ1wnxCdpq3Pu9NrlqfEqDDMk0ZfHnIvC78EcxthrcPMRf-aAxot5KaHwx1BxnOpBMjIGR6EITMnv6c9hrwTzt5qz_9WzeIB782zhaKpfS0VRiGGFD3kkmJ_DdSfNTmeCn1b2GNf1DMlcXVyMzgsKRsu4ZetI4vBjqjsh_nnkr9OUvTT3_tACTsGuOHpCCZZiJh1kjoTajy8N9DOtbCYNm63ARrheRFi0fjjY_hwHohgIsutbUBZ-VbKqAirTXxzroFso3qsbt3aiEHmi_Rj1DO6g6R_mq8uW6igDBTCDX2eeIUTS8qSXkGbpeROhTvJHIYaoMm4hpxkdxdIBsYQnWokLZrYj4Feh=w678-h1263-no

A dishonest stone

“How so?”

“First, it was not the first year of rule of Elbio Vulturreno. His power was considerable, but he was not the sole ruler of Etruria. The decision to go to war was made by four men, actually. Elbio was the most important of them four, but the three leaders of Etrurian militia were equally powerful men. Tarchi Fapi, Licine Ceie and an anomaly, Nikanor Andromachid, a Massilian, most likely from Corsica, who managed to get into this quadrumvirate of a kind.

YISL7OYfT1ithZBp2go0nH5FxVrZ3z5eTD1DjdI0iUExzDk7QRzbCcSYCqH9hy_01ZyUjJiKctfAyWyIz3I5NLOCIQWMLUrAdwmq7UV3DMC9v-RCdBgKp4Mtf1fTPJ78AQossIcXmGuHkD1fimupds3wrtHJjJKswe0FtAGBHkAW8rQx9ewfs4VBir4wzeSr-DLNLU8zJ6-GtvA5FaYTL52hR3CC8_9VCwRUIzz4ysC_t9kWxEHhJiDReIeChSrYRtoN2qS5QFR32Vvqo1x5YxNFQtVOXV4x8OV_cm7cWuZ1RIGNO10Ha36gYF4rDmQie4d3uxf6BOFZYr0Lo4_OWezMAbBe2kQhseKdalWX7CSW-ZKxwuK2udf91NP_aJkaDDUBKqqrFhbaj5bU2UrIo9wM9KLirXGpuOx20Aeq-fI0ej4QgpmOlslfQ1EY4QVKSYtOG-0NvaQCfzlst6I1pCI1DpE0ms7w3aZINp0xZm_2XVD4sPRJNdyQD8VKxXu049fvrC58kojyMgLpsip6O0HP1JDu2rOCed2tM1bfTfzY0ByxpCkhfDTZ7wpZL87O4V7GJOzaryRcQv8M7oPt_QIR742iQeXdPhYR41SnmLdvrG9w1SPl8U6Sd8yWBgi31o4FqM9lVPdJekDAqRrXFzJGthc8-BBtRiKkymNkTFrlRaCFqh0g0aTwWyUj5iEngLFMrIGLEmGeB5IBVoZKvNYFzNSKBxn-LD8nmCAU=w1101-h615-no

Four top men of the Etruscan League

It was a joint decision, though from Cicero, it seems like Elbio had the final say on the matter. It was Licine's plan to attack Umbria, while Tarchi and Nikanor favored Sabinia. Elbio apparently sided with Licine and his vote tipped the scales. Makes it understandable why sometimes Elbio is referred as Balancer of the Scales in early texts.

M59lYW_CIUdOKanveOc7olvWazNiBDYvUShhN3enHkA3s8-zJqRTc4gkWKtRTaE8Yv7bQMIU-ZC_Ui-zoTkASqqnRbYyUijcrWeImGsjiiS_bfh4grhXoufqIWSSlZpnII0qSeT_qpVrlshoGCEPBRgLxGOyChzIB8sAuvwpP50P87dEd1-Y4dlcGJTja42RuWtJEKXuLKz4qOBNozdAPszjOvmWr9ShMzonPO3CaQCpKy9xDlJe4wlqktBFsDG_8jkMImTcB2iySuPEevaUt7aVITiEZWXt--88VR0qb4P2z582ROk0DgR4bEvrClPMDsxyWoRwkYQi8Ae_Y3YbDdLlmepapPWG0DBdVxScOHdIJZoS5OAnsRQgJuWU945SD3kwBe6gyjW0GdG9YWhHvcBaWtlaTASBis3DlHnaNp10dEmBMfBP_n5EusglTWhjJ4MFD_OmOg0iy7VDPRWtQgwDGhawPpXNCou9HbvrTYlLUmPK9kXiQhv09xrGYqQlfWo_m6r8oIrcu-aDsPocEpDGeqpKsBN3Q9rCDP8QAqyvhqkdyUN4G6QJLVvde_sysvUi1XIpNmAcsZmM0qLYal2_LL8iNWED6KcAbxO8rcysxQuJkBt76YzTllC8GN370fudAkU9PRoYIwgyerdKZcuJkAxRtHFVUIIm0YTZOEVLKGWWk_iDP04rkVlByD-4-j7IfmyReWqwJ1wIoxi67t2iRiqMniFIwVt8CJ2s=w1041-h689-no

Let's go to war!

Second, Elbio kind of forgets to mention that he was not alone in the campaign. Northern unaligned Etruscan cities, known as Friniata, also joined. Of course, they did lack the power of the main Etruscans, but their small armies kept the enemy busy, looting countrysides, taking provinces, preventing enemy from pushing into Etruscan lands. Sometimes, distracting the enemy armies, on other times, marching in just in time to join a crucial battle.

BEDJHJGDeQhKxMrQasNRIyDlsqQVKx5360lqU-lW0SYyqm0PyhtzDFqtzs6ej-qZlaZuQTJLh3hBkZOafU_3xkz_YyT7QX3JmTnqaFlWgoLXlsw1xrLRWwaQ4_IVWOdBHAioPrF6Ju2Cw7uok7WrOpxzo0t_LxQe2kc97ncxs2wDRbnVa9l1mcAWDtzadO5nR87rCXCrIjZi4EiZQInNxN0mfKm4VjZwxA4l1M_nJszeA3HW1JTAGUN1RgEV3hAHzUq3pmxP2fyk4M9CbIu0F_7GhBfv1eze6ZhMW93O2qzZohu0SiScbX9vBERq7wo0DBkvYskIWFm8iU3OYWci-fCpJZpg9xsTWhy-mB0agMoe_Hd0ykMR4wQ_ZI7BSIlqlOVfa0oW2LLjN6Yavczb9Js06jEGwgKd3NYGovR-BC4V--RhP-082FpSglJgCNw6qzxkuU0J6nTjlTq1kJGHkSzFRlkcA6rAAe1dlqwUTzbiWsdzH-2aK0dUpdQ7-gH0ouqBXKsE0jTFikk__hDXAwVFXuJiP8C6A1AZBWf6ZUlU8RBqS5UYjF1qyqn9JbQa1kmJ3XJcarHGr1Ztm001_-GAua-xewgN0XqL30A-jw-5w34aIJQD3ufde_ZlWUIzUQLokprvdoDpRQgSLNZlCWU9Fqg8WQCNZlYJ-xO0Innmzk99a-wKxOfNUNfuQ8KKgKA-iymjC3hElh_hEJcawQ8O2Zv48mFzx3hFEhW6=w716-h519-no

At least Macedon did not join

Third, strangely enough, Elbio forgets to mention Sabinia. Also an ally of the Umbrii, the small nation fought hard. And lost hard. After the fall of their capital in 454, the Sabinii were totally conquered, after all their provinces had been looted and countless slaves sent to Etruria. The Sabinian lands were then used by Etruscans as a staging point to finish the rest of the war.

eZP2fzw4qZKVZbfuUz1w-8N1cpjXYWVgzYyE2TC4jCmIThYC3LX9mxYPDEnBihEJun8W7QATVT5Hxjx5QQydUqwU4evNp6gYhZy5iixJb77dPbzfgSBzrY60iXbycy5L4KniPXwZ0brh1aKdsfOKZQvOP6GkJLX4QSlsaQoRPJmmZTZr1eRkBFN07CzJzFBci8pAQPUQUds5d95I-nnGNhgBoD3WCU8anaYfqYlFarfMAD_O3p4KLHI6wkqp_9WxWclcq7uGa7d8akYWBwSO-qkp6kak9k61v_bwJEXDS3ZD5iOuh-ZT6rEYJ63nOTUdrpuuU6aHywlC6qGlPEl6l75e_V44-BewihU_EG1lZanNOI0rWNoTqdSMcvDmTw2IqYIX0o3Y6KTvMl6cCtYWyy0pHSG3qdT3F1j6r1EpuR3vTA8K-VdcZQDgp8E2YnhoRYnYjKQBY5y7gM3XBwts3zAz2AxwfK3T0ec7uCOb4MefGIGUpdoz9zsv7ucgG1T5AkGWtzd3A8Z51uLScnHIAg_hZcDGwuuat12O2svzOhJDK2gVgXY-5N_0fZ13PYqDFncmwrOo9mn4nEY--mXrlXBPY_vIlpeGCXHlopfizuxh_LCCeUHtVSDcJTBUIzw0k6o7cQLo-i2LO-bfdTBxuU7PWJoajW6KhOv_6s7R-qny3ZMfag1B5kudCDjciaaLOKkipoRwr6jWzhjRKtR37mvfEmwV17EcYcwAEfmB=w576-h289-no

Sabinia. Too small to even remember?

Finally, while Elbio for sure did some gathering and marching, the main leader of the military campaign was Licine Ceie. Though he only commanded his militia contingent and his command of the militia army was shared by Nikanor and Tarchi, it was him they looked upon when the battle started. For example, the final desperate attempt from the enemy to relieve the siege of Plestia in March 452. Due to his tactical brilliance, the battle was won.

Or when in April 453, the combined Etrucan and Frintati troops attacked the enemy in Picenum, where the enemy outnumbered Etruscans by 10 000, and still came out on top, causing heavy causalities to the enemy. A truly heroic victory.

dG8XoD1fqnx5pRNAoyjfAO-nzxo8qV-j4SgqGwnkIo4KwsZNS2tAmMM7GONmcROSKmbD0yBTCmfcshAKXLQnWCY5FJoGCvou0eQ0u8vTzWhzHQquWA2Nuy0Cb7M9680QMeFBQUBkcY0IZIQ6AvQsMHeHs33IwFlfsz95zlmct06zcJXWT0wzr0Az9zfseo29GNGcPdnDW7uSahhGASdwab4xNJy1fuNW-pAuPrZVy2IkysfJn7uelTTXsCj9ZcFAmZgzlTYwm6wVnw8Tmx-P1HeE7AempF4JbotA5Tc-Uud0WsKpttSGtR2bYDL6izMO62KW9p60PEcg4-RQhN1EsjWBLLZFQaaM07U9kJgjlSlC_xLsTICWvqKM0_jExfWllNBAeDnXwYgIx_jV8K9zo1WX8Qa8pS8dQEbSVVN3rf0MsG95fxYgmgB5QKhsHfs8iSUSB8c2C9Sty5w2JItcnEV4J3MQJs6VjPVZ4QCxofVlvUKv_0PrK8HM4qJ6vWJ6gUYqAUR3MizpoXUeDjKaIHz7mZvqet5ziI9iyqiMG-oaoUD2Q9rKf62zEgSU43J4eNO46FhLNKgmIBMM7j5vlZ2Ay-wX0m0VUHh5nn7WkqudvBR0eA0Ddw2NaPQRLYewZrti46_4ofnz4NXajBunSPTT6VkXWpSZ-lNgDOksMNt8DGQ1PW4xSnpAxPH-Mh0o-46luk4kU4Bu6JMQB3-yEKoc_TwqML9Bhg730XFH=w1380-h649-no

Attacking a foe who has serious numerical superiority and still coming out on top. That's Licine for you

Or in May 454, when the enemies did their best to try to relieve the siege of Interamnia. Again, against a bigger opponent, the Etruscans held their ground and forced the enemy to retreat. And soon, Interamnia failed and the fate of the Sabinii was sealed. The siege, mind you, also led by Licine. As was the siege of Plestia.“

25k1AojLrLAokvoZIlOCePIPyW3GkSgYs0OMzrJBXju_f84RGOwPZu-zwv2pDT4Z-w74_NUn4m2epYsTaNjBlIGiokIFhGmEMx-ns4cEkXwPucsCsikqy9GwVhd4vaZp3nt5awsq2RFLJ90jmgePRjllSsqsB64VPJr541NZkUbewzpVGgU3VHHKhDwre_qautfRye2DO0twZsozJqR3J69SPjRmpddhwPgJ6syRa0dMMjpY8rfQD3RN6se6Jm2RRIaOUIflhgJCeJK-95eukPhMDya0v-WXFXNnfh3SC2xaxv6_6t1XbafHGPfxMtwB_tF8vWH6mrL5AJJmGAXh0R5RATzupFyq7Flp_HQWj_wPBTl8F_p37cVW2hQtA7vLwoW2H2cVMHpFQBEigW4c2jyucwuPU_F3L2jf6aR1kpi1qRfRP4ohodAhyl3tSFrY0z3qG6_dkmVkCz23gzkM7ChByPZ9BQD67FNSGnJVO8JlfzHNgwiFFPie4uUEWXMabP4mBGhUx9pNPxKCJdsadnSMrSqxBl6WfHCmOPP0wT1NROnDabeiK5cxXLvrQBGLDljBMKNSB5uDJ7qS-mu7iZ6ungn4DUYeOCsT86FxYGKI3Ca1Pxo4uywfH2Q1P0gJivwxHadv-TkfuatNTcMs0DC0Ir-kE5bmKgLG3BuVXF9opOIsTQTzzgdX4Jr9-xDxHvKMwgFX3bwaKRZf4-piUiTEvfaslOQqp7MxwOpo=w1895-h654-no

Final desperate attempt to relieve the Sabinii

“That is a lot of mistakes for one small stone,” I agreed

“See! Never trust a stone!” Massimo chuckled.

“But can you trust Cicero?” I asked back.

“More than stones,” Massimo replied. “A bit more,” he added. “See, the thing is that Cicero hated Elbio and the Etruscan League almost as much as Elbio loved himself. And while Cicero tends to downplay Elbio’s achievements, scholars tend to agree that his lies are smaller than the ones of Elbio...”

“So, Elbio just... sat home and later took all the glory?” I was truly shocked.

“Oh no, not at all. Nothing of the sort.” Massimo’s shock at that misunderstanding was equal to mine. “Remember, he still led the larger contingent of Etruscan army, participated in battles where needed and so on. He just upped his part a bit and conveniently forgot to mention Licine. He did give the Umbrii a finishing blow though. After the fall of Sabinia, Licine was besieging the capital of Picenti, Aeternum. The remnants of enemy troops gathered in Plestia, in a desperate attempt to retake the city. Then, Elbio got his chance. He attacked the besiegers with force about equal size, won a glorious battle and in July 455, he cornered them in Septemada and finished the entire army off. “

wNUloOrzLagL02LhUwtDhwBOCOD41N-BVp7WfXSUh7dYoX-UZs66ewWU1GuB2vwOwjMymdO3mkddrAZBhloO5BaibtpTqhPdB1DOxAvuIsDEoEfZWXu5FcnHkkNUePU3I2uGd-9bJrafamHNIhMY1IHcwjjDHXxHnGzU3N1N5esJJXE_q420vWELyLxt9tBpmcq7hLTQTauJuc34FsS-8o12rrJNEi1hK4LXfCvhoXzudcvAVNnhKPq4Y4qX5xBX-uCqKlWliCWbXuG3c0QeXShqVunCeN2-i61jjxiCrijh5u6ExJnO_KEqxMV-2Ow-FjsH65qSyB6VYVnIwOrpoPaMObUFLGta7gxyCXvxN4tz5v-3T55khQ74dIJSHb-cY_9_z4whf3NGF1b9pGAH11KiWEqrQIHYqkR-yWyn8XfgMDMw_xPJ75dVYwLVMU4Z2tf8yjnjgBFPHITHphJDj4z7SsyKSIQXE4HbrrSDWcibSfBwenPp9vxIu1nTk2yxHdvEGyhIa7h9jhquiGgcki2TFAgrtpgtnSIjkZQTDIdRZbBRGtcBTHYjVH_lO6_1MxkEYsoptBjD4_jsY_52aB5mnncuvIhXYYlIoWp1Ak9XPRTO6x3_zSksSou4gwwYajuLxrVAx-IadIuHWPrC0pnWcJX_VmmTkCXwDXBM2pyL05YfBrzkmyvaBsykUiGZkenZr0mRSbRzIsjJDej9Hg7Fnxi2NRbW-yRp3zkK=w990-h806-no

Elbio, doing his part

“Then, the war was finally over?” I asked

“Almost. Aeternum fell in May 456 and after that, the Etruscans took all the lands of Umbrii and Picantii, reaching the Adriatic coast.”

CHVW-90lqNBS4DmnP_e6Mi8dcAIrPmt53l9J8Z3NlSFbmgUtvszsVhMQY4q-zDLp5B5uuOJTiIJiYFsNl-CpacZ4z1SPFL-OIYl-5GRT6Re4f6ahS_hdlmOdFNP7k5XB1fu9LDRLvJBGPafgdfhJ-CidMNl8x1HzsBchyqfKmEBRLS_C-cp7ccnIbFkf08y_4oC10OM2q9M4B-4OsCnEoYSg3rq3YGHPL59Trs775CKfrc0ipxqwaAuCGTfaVT1bCU_KyrB1__P2selbebXiOKlb9dwv64zcKc8ZoMLhk_XWfeHJtLkhTJWj5A0XpkhfgI7oYiKaNZ6SqMwB3Jm6ihujjtEuKW6QzysXG9zziBmXOq8dw5IEx45sZZWfh7WP6pIE8kjm8BiLt_CH-hrq6WUpnLREHjqkcatvYerrdMWlNapSQv1Bf9icEWgcw3zfJo0lHhUqMBWPLz8yVz3ENvO44D0wcPuzTHVL9RLxQpoFwd24uImwg40FXPpCmzBBOAdi_QU-3tsXBmPYm3mYraO8XzvZKSntbJ67QwdF2OcjsD0CDScvxYoET2F_Pqwz28-OMRO4IqN-BJDCZGZSIwieX3Z0-WAo_Lsm3V9oc6EkDj3aul1_y_esn69PHEeEr59fqoqJwxl48jDXeR3elMVpSztHqSBLFyrLYNmXr2r4cjiKJECyyckQ_bIbNwvQ4s-KHs_3F1FCb5txRpLQ_dggk1TYFm30zn-9xhHb=w1538-h833-no

Finally, the war ended and Etruscans reaced from coast to coast

“Hey,” I said, quickly doing numbers in my head. “That stone of Elbio shaved off a few years off of the war as well?”

Massimo nodded. “Good catch. Apparently nobody likes a slowpoke.”

“Anything else where the accounts of Elbio and Cicero are different?” I inquired.

“Hmm,” Massimo thought. “More like omission. At the final days of the campaign, Tarchi and Nikanor apparently got into a deadly argument, one that can be settled only with the spears. Over the spoils of the said campaign and how to best divide them. Tarchi, though considerably older then Nikanor, held his argument with more firm hands, leaving Nikanor at a loss of words and also, his life. Nothing says I'm right like your spear penetrating the opponent’s chest after all.

X-hRLUHcTwCSKlJhOgQc5TJyhJngoqATqlmUdrm1hdXvUl0v4U1thsv59aEYMdfXD_KPdi57igBJ3QjLWpNrV3P72dKVoRYURs1ww8sAQiMhtF4vqvOLfcNeUMA2GMXKHyYWOjRAr2VCk4u6afSN1_H4ThO3kLuwWoXC4R0QaOaIFX5x6wLi0GDtTU1jTn3dQBcVEgWaGAQ7nH5bmX92rqvb1RHJwHYbPBs0v541sjrqEQ7ozn9zPMwojWRQpUQ5URJ9n4Sg7tnIejkUe4m33YET6jF68ZwCWxoZLXJR_DultozQUMMDY8nQHuv-LCi8DhxKuHhVgMgIdmZt_6K3Dh22EKnscgpcxm2XEQxPmJI_2qXt0A91zdJOdlGhaonzQf2AyTXl-qfmCunWm230B4S8BtnEOyVSXzAXjX23cyZOlZ8B2TkIKS8v6r3TFyt7tnFu0sqOEIek7eE49qDPVssh6-U5LgBSfMZRa8O_VMGobVRRLiz_M-2Q0zLoJavDfWPFNLMVg77zDoaEY0JCgpJd_fP6GBixXoaYT0X8JePz5qVrW1azDGvVVfMlqiKV1Z1xbauEmNYCXpJ_zBpgINczK7PYS5cKhUZGxsQ-nPoLR3L4rRHKnreDSOPLTPI82_Bpe1kIKOfFDPmVC5CjWwVS1e2449E_Uqr8Sf1Q_MeJ5jHQcXJ4tkyttGmBnTBPqjglkcjf6uhtIfrYZAaKe9PDQhsrPGHJy7u2v4T9=w1674-h503-no

Truly, this must have been an interesting debate

This led to rise of Cnaive Ninie, already an old man at the age of 55, as the newest member of the quadrumvirate. Not much of a warrior, but quite the orator. Though I think he would not get into debati with Tarchi. His arguments are too piercing...”

AZrL_5AnbWoLAk1aAJ59jg6x6ZJpjdbX4D8CjW_o_HcPEtbftw28b504kxwbGZ7kJnd2TzoXBbgATKDw5WmMkJbBHWIm0QtU8RTYhzkekYirXLRg6jFJGaZaDnsqRIUNESYjl4mTIjKc21ZSK9GW5XiiECYbw5LqTk80WxNsaG6R2WhpMJAfp-I8sd0MsOOXhKbCy0ao1egVKe56kIQ-8DLcVNCTM2IJhh1Wm2GxytlIe2nx5nGK6iO3JzQp0HbpIPZihXL9ultVoAPkKfDD_hyk4iBEOGK9gZu8JK_RpubG1ZSMRDlEdFJdL8QONNjzffnxK4ysp398iUm6mFzLd4VpSEM0hKoFJz4KKybYfAS4qRXthsg2qx4NOhRAtlIZlcnGdp6VUfqZHz5xm5JKGneBu2GIqjP7han6pVquxBj9mY77P7Jg-sWTi5M8Y9soV0JwjsLSFqWIEeYkqiW_DYZoQHV4n_uBG5Mv2saTebMkTuDKMH2LNGm4Awdvm8ZAAjju05EBCy8IU1Gup81mARBnwzI06TE01-Z2LqjPhnD6dfsuu4MN9K4iljMblU8yjngDZTstknFNnb31sDw4z784Rbzp5yJyhTcMnWt-rYz5AcFpJNXhobdfbiOsXoi2a4G3y7Op5-dOnlCJFH_DjBt8jxxYdVHwdEoHzSlrQKPJK88t-LyZMd_HBWo4zpV_1MwWkrbwHMI0tuSHMOHmXN4xC8J2xNPx4VnATX72=w564-h710-no

Replacement for Nikanor

I chuckled. Then, raised a glass. “Well, to Cicero then!”

Massimo raised his “And to them deceitful stones!”

Tuscia
  • Tuscia
    It was an early spring when I grew restless. The lavish parties bored me. The hunts gave me no thrills. The aristocrats, with their self-important ways, disgusted me. So, one evening, I left my fancy outfits, my servants and my house behind. I donned a plain worksman linen clothes, and walked to the poorer parts of Valtuna. Found a nice tavern on the roadside, nothing too fancy. Found a quiet corner there, outside, facing the road and sat there.

The innkeep looked at me suspiciously when I ordered something to eat and good wine. “Money first,” he said, then looked with even more suspicion when I reached my pouch and pulled out a newly minted gold coin, with lion on the one side. He took it carefully, bit the coin and I watched with amusement when his greed fought with the intent to report me to the authorities. The point where greed won was clear. The coin slipped into his pouch and he walked off, returning soon with change and an amphora, promising food soon.

z8TeRvTEwSxsdwZFm7YxiWjZqmfQs7NKhb9t1j-dXCgdyo7wUCi4Q3Qk0_k3YtYXQ2hrFfdUPbCiF1dTsMsPaM8inMYhUAXvM2Jd3iUyvxivb_Aq8K5GAD7eh5D8a_3qwoVSYmDpzYst7GDVDcOHGouo3kVRH2ToJcP5cF6SqZEbYNywzeo_pu_C4e_FcX2HCBX2giy2-CRFEIgXvgY2v4r3Z1GQuAujK0-SA5br0iAPIsnuY0QdDuiGiCuMwg5HK7AJVpzrb2Dms_BCn2dHNcemuenkJ5FQYM5A7PaCFNn-tzvC_AETyYdnW_NaAZFWtg-9-AYfmSwVdSYnce4pTId-ql23xJasdLKq0-acFN9mvWtmILW-_4xLrEbqE7jNRqHAXpZx5pWHVFR_uZFHbk_VSaXspX5nHp3d2r4WVEzTZuggoryMRLPvENbAmBMZfgDzdLjKp7PZ0Q3ywcubSeVURnL1J7qaEfHrgwGWX2sVjRHYyjkLMW-KqJnr_2gAj3dZaUCWlqXecHePc8dNsu8n7LAdkbbQlG9kBCsumy1sAZvG7-ETaY9qYr0t4JADg5gBHPdxfexatp4NS2hO22Ol5X7317QVbyB0kJNcn3Dn3GJnQXKRg5RdzYNtiWnVtxmxUGSA9XDrtFIZrVAWtP6F62Bhm5FMC6v5G7yk-J2_Y1nWXCkAcaBQw2G4GO0K7-MQDZAvLLWfcmylgpHKsqA8IOe1xhb-31gBA8kGHg=w991-h501-no

Etruscan specialty- one side only

I played with the change, several silver and copper coins, gazing at the elaborate pictures on them. The minting initiative, started by Elbio a few years back, had really taken off. He had restrained himself- no coins with his picture. I also noticed that the innkeep made some miscalculations with the changes. To his benefit, of course. I decided to let is slip, and instead, poured wine into a cup and drank, enjoying the last warming rays of the sun.

HiLQmoDZL0ffroJS6B847XoGsnQnjx0lXc-o0U1vr_plUUN94FjMyUKyl6lAkJyOZw9JkL1nZ9HMLQ1loAXUoIGr7WWQgWi9ABOC9at72KBzS12to8Is4RB8i09zcc6qg-JcHRskxq8i9Vjpl0FsVZ_thQebrFO3d-yeW3m9F8XVcvZy21cgcj_05LGmivTpFQ9jYemiIg9KwaX_mqUth7TgwYnoK0XB-x0Im4OVXVaca-_E2El4YOagG2nnaZiW6Cxe0qqXW65Mb3T_o0L-UKBN-eXepgBOh6gbxYEoRSqjUpRlEXj51khN10CoW_XwB5Xhv3sjgNtr96qZBQAtDVT2jbydxkmyAsUtwjX2i9vUFiNCxgBuwWbTgMyxeIXGf8oXvHKFpoOPkSs3ZNo0o0eM0gbvCmS6sSadbi9NlD3jMmhdWCqvoElf2-wW8tP0ihrWm08ov5UxJ1wh4MsF4OGUuh1wRSzGa7PTd6JBJ0MptpyfPhxipvxpqOKVDkkxxh5rITZIymmX_B82jVIzp4pe_r-4u-Kgge7AFwFXr7ZzP1lYdoXSd94ocK9WssrMlrc7k5QiHdBOXMJNnEPYwwAq0eNKhvYzELia49fKKaDA7r8M6PFdKWqEt8WV6NXgFWG7-3N2h_ti7J5dJBycV49RZ1wCgi3c3ES8wwyN0Y8qBvQ9lpsgSlZYyE4EqyeyEwhUTEsarxv7xhDQIp4v_1gSy54FbQl_vYzwIpnL0Q=w461-h223-no

First attempt to mint some coins

The traffic along the road was quite heavy. Final stretch of the road, from river Bruna to Vatulonia, where the goods leave the water and are transported by the carts. Iron, hemp, clothes and even horses were streaming towards the capital, bringing in fresh goods from around the world. Especially after the influx of slaves from the Umbrian war, the capital was booming, well on her way of becoming one of the biggest cities in the peninsula.

jTmTMwUg8wP_hAHY0I2raox1XJ0H5PM1iTwFYoRvsIAARvHf6_n-UnE8mXGTIyZLYMJrF613CGPlniGgucBApXACyQfnNOktOqH7vPIv7by-A6DsShaJ1cfntAe3F_5tIOUTrB_eqpEDtSoa_3ChQ7flo-3DYNi-b4V7AV1wHTpdtx7m1ze_KCMkXwKHmNSXkFUoFC9WA_IEdROWZAZ6O2zXizbsvLU7lfE2ETARUya4SFczeTB6Kl2lSBPg2y5aIQIbPMLEBDOdTuLfzQyeIrzHbkBnC-AKeKdqHC-kcVjjY-IcmY72RlSD1mv8RODG8Iu79ppRFsaFLjjhYnHjlaW5oOHv2OTkrdB21bA6qz_N3IssrmZhq9wBOK8nJCu4PeJwkakWBGm_GCD3YZhxDpdD4SrhTv_RhhdrAtWt_rpmkotb0gO7_6aNLuN3QFEPt-Q00gpQZtLK-SC4xack53Pb7eg87I3-j5YZAHKp-06R09AQ0sM_cR1-pCZBiAp2cyZyfRtMOeQepo5uz4NTAA_A9Dq-apJOhIRrVJy3xbnqt-ZQuGg2fAUwabKuOCxqcAqEwwP37zPzN1yH5kZ3HeYh2LtyNiVRZfPJodSLZSx6F1OAFDsSNf7ufh1ZxRZ37MZUtHEIwjZvxW-c1BduYs0LtytzmjMynJlroXUEMN-dp8ONcRUdFmZ-5ULK2OfWQg8qA-Y4iugCcoggAuLUJi-pIanQC1TFUrNfIlCVyw=w1007-h718-no

The trade in League

To me, the porridge that finally arrived seemed more interesting. Simple dish, made from mostly wheat. Tasted plain, but good. Piece of recently baked bread next to it. That soon got my entire attention, nevermind the cartloads of goods, columns of slaves and other indicators of a growing city around me. Simple food, simple company, simple worries. That suited me.

Few tables besides me, a loud argument over “who and how much cheated in dice game” turned into much louder “who can hit harder” one and the entire tavern turned to see outcome. People cheered as the two people arguing exchanged punches. Soon, the ordeal was over, as the loser limped away, penniless and black-eyed. It was then that I made up my mind. How this event became the catalyst, I do not know. I just knew that I had to go. So, I hitched a ride down to the river, picked up a piece of clay, took my stylus from my pouch and wrote my good-byes. Then, I sealed it with my seal, gave a few coppers to nearby street urchin to deliver it and took the road northwards, towards Pupluna.

The night was heavy, I was alone in the road and I felt free. I started dancing. Not the ritual dances of the priests, but something of my very own. My hands and feet were moving instinctively, calling out for the Goddess. The skies darkened even more and then, a lighting struck. As the thunder reached my, another one struck. And another. Then, it started pouring. I danced through the thunderstorm, anticipating lightning, knowing where and when it will strike. The heavy rain cooled me, the thunder was music to my ears and the Goddess danced with me that night, showing her approval and showing that I still was her favorite.

I arrived at the gates of Pupluna with the dawn. To my surprise, the gates were open and outside, the priests were expecting me. “You are a foolish man, Lars,” they told me. “Going alone into the night, like that. But we got a sign from the Goddess that you are coming.” Despite my protests, they carried me to the temple, bathed me, fed me and then, I collapsed of exhaustion.

When I woke up, it was dawn again. Once again, I donned my simple garments and despite the protests of the priests, left the city, wealthy thanks to their bronze mines, behind. I travelled north, to Vada Velatri, as a simple etruscan, and priests did not recognize me, for I grew a beard, bathed a little less and looked like a commoner who is not worth a second look. I enjoyed it. For a few months, I worked at a copper mine there, then moved on. To inland, to Velathera, known for its ample marble supplies. There, I became a quarryman, enjoying the hard labor and blisters on my hands and dreamless sleeps as I collapsed, exhausted.

IoWCm3-FrVBOlvp48H8eEBIl4q66Fbi-hBgab5HSZMPS7VpKrMHeihoGpKhgrMWBJutKQanNfxKQXpYml-uP6Rb9rZ1HbI-QptS_CEr9pK9Kg-rlTfL2hA3suYfnTBsj2wA70Efz_MEgN7oK17J_KxuNwG3qkjcIgD66ygsS4IzwSvXxEBgVt_KVE2u5TpK7G5S4ksHba44sJyNVewqWEcfikKOcAJQHcVXO1eqG9BZeTsT3fPr7MTvURmvUdtBI0zs5vAM7itaE6LkouThHBqKhn2iaFDcwUc7-C9Ve3frrQt-cf7NjBeh4esIDderWAtYZD5Dztiy9pMYrKdWLMgC9JalKZPNDSrvBe_XpMo1TbkMgDRRTQFZvHxMn2yzponE7DWVMoJ6-eru2EqQM8wTB-8ww3OVwddYUM70ZIKoS6h8pNlovOWFZlsJ3clXH1YkADZk79XmIB0uTy_kDyyC2AT1OckVz5Az5A7apbiN8lNlZsRS859a0WboO6jc3bB9YLQ82lPmZK_fn4F_pQKNiJ7WNYdtLxdHfFTYvty5AbBx6Fg-7ItBwUq9e_eeeQoGGNMzRdY3LCRcaGkUPcWaNKGHS_-z3gqfmmh1T3h8uWAMp4pk8CVz4THPjM5lIltV34IgarGVHRs-BBe3jZB4FD4JF0SHuW3cmTiIUdJvvQtQJifwL71VbR1a570XORWiSX1e_ZziT-sYrFmi5jEnvSXl5RSRtDfhVT2E4Ag=w1898-h765-no

Tuscia, in all her glory

Autumn harvest found me in Sena, the most fertile lands of Tuscia. Harvest time meant that there was always a need for some extra hands and I worked there, from early dawn till the sun set. Watched from afar as the priests did their harvest rituals and enjoyed the more simple, more merrier traditions of the common folk. Wine, dance and a girl who has a friendly look in her eyes. What more can a man desire?

As winter arrived, I grew restless again, and moved on. To inland city of Curtun, known for her tanneries (and the small of them). The tanners were a closed group. Mostly due to the fact that they smelled so bad that no-one else wanted to do much business with them. I got a job as a cattle driver, delivering cattle to them from Persna, the easternmost province of Tuscia. The smell did not bother me as much, and once they opened up, they turned out to be really nice people. The winter nights tavern, where cheap wine flew freely and the fire was hot, was a nice change from the winter rains and chilly weather as the oxen slowly moved to their destination. Their laughter was genuine, their joy was real and their sorrows were like sorrows of everyone else.

With the first blooms of spring, I left Curtun behind and travelled to Cleusi, another inland city. The horses there were known throughout Italia as the best breeds. Fast and sturdy, ideal for the light cavalry we favour. I arrived at the day the horses were let to the pastures for the first time, and took part in the celebrations. Then, I spent the entire spring as a herder, taking care of the magnificent beasts, spending my days alone with the horses and fellow herders, sometimes not seeing another person for weeks.

Finally, the road took me to Rusle. Known for their earthenware pots. No, don’t laugh. You cannot make a civilization without pots. Nowhere to store grain, cook your soup or porridge. And the pleasure of looking at a finely crafted and painted cup, and enjoy the fine wine within. The life. Also, the one thing I had no talent with. No skill or patience to decorate the pots, nor patience to make them. Instead, I moved on. Travelled through Ad Novas, in the center of Tuscia, also known for her marble quarries, then to Velathera and Vada Velathri, also known for being the biggest port in the province. From there, I took the ship to Island of Ilva. The iron mines there are the base of Etruscan wealth and controlling them makes Vatluna one of the most important cities in Etruria.

Everywhere in Tuscia, I noticed the subtle hand of Elbio at work. A small change here, a small change there. An official from Vatluna, helping with some local mater. Order from the capital, paid with newly minted coins. Coins that end up in circulation, so everyone gets used to them. Funds or workforce from Vatluna, helping the local fortifications. Elbio was shrewd indeed. Instead of forcing all the change at once, he made baby steps, changing the Etruscan League from loose confederation of cities to something more unified. Cause his changes were small and seemed mostly insignificant, most of the people paid no mind.

mg0vuZ7y2Q0BQDZvvM_qDAqcW5_cc03_X80jLEiSjmnLg_jKFQIxuLhlE2Js5L89iEygxuA5fns3Jg9aO1qKEuTgPQlsngMLGj7g9Y2w1hMOd5D1N9KUFL1Ze3r8R47PoUdR9zoKRS5Uv5bjaZ4seEKpdXQgghVyzRGk1rCEgAHP_yw0-dOMfsbInMuztxVdXy_BQMvSiRKw1YgcyUVntV05eiLqA1Ll1mX3ZXezPuVonUTya8U4bw2u9T7XJuN_fVapHgygsXOIu-gLbQaevbMm1PxSAAAgNBNwa-0BjoYzjGd3nGtAMfcUmE-FXQMR3WMvDrHefxYkCQelB3Cuti_vyq-ROsDfEooXDUYtAscDDQ8YbZA1HC5rZ2KiONNzNNN8fa2b_xuUWPkR1nKa71RvXwm3sIuBUUg0035UFF6oawqXd3syZpT_ZY8mlnXjKwQW5uyP7vsVsqrmDOXi5qkS3SEwBX8K23B9uaTNppWfBkLc9I09IGXdiNXhpl0PX1O-HYyF3mgQDPNyryvWXv_eijIyCdvGNXzXWeCSZUFo6Gd22HX-clt7k0yXTMYmIeJB9W76U6KxOh4c8X1nu3lWK0nEdo1IlDqtDS_qDiH1helpKAQEd5iZV-Z6jVLntxQyl7qwc8fucibkUe5C74yHJZHcOKPAmRvaYanFPRA7qdlRAcd4K92YtVWAs4cxGz4658WZXJd7Im2-DitMOk_HD3V0lNGOyEA1w98dxw=w900-h775-no

Changes to Etruscan society

At the height of the summer, I took the ship again. Not as a passenger. No, the backbreaking job of an oarsman. Laden with heavy iron bars, the heavy wooden oar felt heavy on my hand. But over a year of labor had changed my hands callous, made my back stronger, made my hands and legs more muscular. It was of no effort. The small ship moved steadily in the water and if you looked hard enough, you could see masts of Etruscan warships on the horizon, patrolling for pirates. Fortunately, our journey was uneventful and we soon entered the port of Vatluna.

The newly hired gate guard, taking one glance at me, my simple clothing, my weathered looks, tried to shoo me off. I laughed at him, and when he tried to hit me with a butt of his spear, cursing, I dodged and laughed harder. We had fun for a few minutes, then the noise attracted some servants, who glanced at me and to guard’s great surprise, fell to the dirt before me, kneeling. The poor lad just stood there, dumbfounded, until one of the staff whispered something to him. The look on his face was precious, as it finally dawned on him. As he fell to his knees as well, his anger quickly changed into panic and fear. I just laughed, smiled at the guard and said “Good exercise. We should do it more often.” Then, I turned to the rest of my household and told them, “I’m home.” And I was bathed, the dirt I had gathered during this year was scraped off, my beard was shaved and I was anointed with precious oils.

Just in time too, for soon, Elbio rushed in, his kids in tow. He hugged me like a bear and told me: “I missed you, my restless friend Lars.”

cDkc9MpbS9xmW2RyxH_RnfzjXsssHaf7CNSjV6_QOphBe0q3BI4Kmg6IKcKssaGGwq-r_w0pGSgvG3cXTJc7oSQ55gMQmwlv0cjCoPIhkbDe9wY9_DRX-mngzCpFDIehVG_HF0z5AA4sp01uvvGNc27qV8PY_SiTYGgCT_IHtJ-gv1ceaW1-7w-uQvJRY5SjbK6bZdugpIVyvdMGM5a6Ul9mM0UZTw6oW2lLxa0sWDEVCZ9mWb-JjCeORmrFG9LgOxHM2k1eJ3Rolhp2aR88TsjCFAcOF-c5M4j4wFFpZ7JNKQ8U4G2snIQQFWtSj0_1hmQ6vc5DnRgc2F8-ZXSPOfvXvcjbDUFDIGgL3hra_uRXsBB5SJXQcYpbSQqiU_eORoZvNbahRVKYoFJIkuT-oabFohR053f2bQlYPzF1mxsQ885W6h0lE_ppb1JgWEpaySn5-AvOrccUMfMCUc1O036DSXQwKvT6FcTpXmloffFgcQYzZdq-9YSE640Y68poOmnloIi5QR5MLnd1LBuDsBVCaKTWBgg5TXK4JAizL1HSTck61R4gZYyVGzsskQ8DOt6X3-NgTeyiI_hHsoWvZk3tnwFOuSUd8MAVw3b_a8HhRQ3se7khZiVzextGL0V0ar6PAY-YjToKvMrQ9vn7Q5d9xjhEC_M13wJyYN-_A6cY6eqO-xIuWMYw2vi7Mrjb0LQQqCkBdABk64hj2VCOrU9uiMgYqMoLQcvwuFWTHg=w1722-h429-no

Elbio, now at the age of 32.

And I was home again.

The Council of 462
  • The Council of 462

In June, the weather was early Italian summer. Pleasantly warm, not so hot you have to hide between cold stone walls. The sun was gentle, the breeze was mind, the sky was blue and the war council was in session, sitting outside on benches next to Elbio’s country villa, enjoying the shade and wine.

The matters they talked though were grim, starkly contrasting with the summer paradise. Whatever the result today, it would end up with man dying, homes burning, people being carried off to slavery and endless misery for everyone. But that is the way of the world. Strong prey upon the weak and you have only got to hope and ensure that you are the strong one.

anGf9t3WtpO-nUps3pbr9OCmU8djgdNLV1l5f3wXzR7iJ9xJWsrNlAmklWZ8aZ6Qv5EZjvbV_szB3daAPBgzXmLkcHXnBX2fSWGslMg_YDSx1EtaTLhKqC5e3-nb07LOiIFl-s7gXQJOfLV39ErXjMiNdzlEti-A3sojh7LL6OyKMxBZIUR1wltD191o51dKB6Yop2o4h3lDFz5G2J_fhQaAgY-0mLveaNR-gl4SzyDS_LwYvkEq0OKjUP6t7Q8ekksvc-bWu_Q4ciZTWp8MAmbWvj1Zd0KqDdh-TjYi0V9ymecIvEzfZy0z9CT1w5MHrSqwsQASklqPD2ovO2nQOPD1EuT7OYhY6-GZe5ym0JgrfpbHVxLEq8rFZKlt0kXyyayDIJmqTeB3T8D4YcPCYix6eXDM0XOTlVFYFR7SP54C1_gBbyjBJaUIWBj0iKkhrEdNcj2h_tNoH1Og8aXfzajwCPNA-lLniZcFxc9m9pVmtD8RHWWmkATsquV0DoF7GfixxQDIS-on1logpW0XowWrRGybw-PtFyIMhV8h-xUxBSEqRdNQUNU0hEStOe9WWoWZuBpqtar_Ql2LJJLWNT34z5wknEkgMxb2hby86xJzHjtjHbLths1g87xFiJ-9xSQpwsvfswoNFdduBMgjMH8OL924zijZVvV0RumskB0kPxcdgmlvYJTxWXRFVY3YS_U9yIVzlFGHr5PrTZaTUgHQyDotmSHayJHtvNrG=w1037-h709-no

Whom shall we attack today?

Tarchi Fapi was the first to open his mouth: “What about Frentania?”

He gained suspicious looks from the rest of the council: “What about it?”

“Well, they are a good target, we already have the city of Aternum. Why not take the rest of the province...”

“You do remember that they also happen to be feudatory of Rome?” Elbio enquired.

“Oh,” said Tarchi. “Right.”

“I have been meaning to ask though- can we end our problems with our not so friendly southern neighbour? Can we beat Rome?” Elbio asked.

The thought was not as shocking as it was a decade ago. Pretty much everyone here had most likely played with the idea. Can the fledgling Etruscan League turn at her bigger enemy, the republic down south?

It was Licine who opened his mouth first. “Rome? Yes, we could win against Rome,” he said, adding “It would be a tough campaign, exhausting our manpower and stretching our will to fight really thin, but we could do it.”

“But?” asked Elbio.

Cnaive laughed. “There is always a but, right? And this time, this appears to be quite the big but”

Licine just nodded and then, added. “We can beat the Romans. We cannot beat Rome and the entire South Italia.”’

“After all, Rome is allied with them damn Samnites whom we swore to protect against Rome,” Cnaive intercepted. “Plus, the tribes of Apulia and Bruttia..”

“Not to mention them being overlord of the said Frentania, plus Pelignia, Nuceria, Marsia and the newest addition- tribe of Lucania.” Licine added.

“Apart from the Greek cities in Magna Graecia, all of Italia south of us is either Rome, allied to Rome or bending their knee to Rome.” Cnaive concluded.

“With Messapia being an exception to the rule,” Licine added.

G3S5SwfYevEu6303NixEpMAPImZwX5oBn5OFJGuwuioNq62AhqytOphHLuW5LSjZ6ZhS3ltyaRn_Karra1EA9_2IUv1Yp8zoX4IZ7DTBJkpZyNztwoOeeYW_xMBAujh91op2Gn5lEMsM9fuUDDVXiqDh1MfQgXT-hiHs6WLdKj7q3TtbTm8cjjr8hMxlmtcZv97ejJLkIwmMu_Mwc5Eh8Yl9O_MjnUZsA82aj20hhQmNWaBT4DMM5Vg6FPSbWPF1uWq9jQuz2QfqV8c5VfDC4ujAFUvScZbN9L0w9c4A_swa8nA5kgbH3gMvLQs_0qW76I-oe_jIoiExi-4EiBNRAOjDl-8JDBixrdLrK-fYmYtJA6IlvSTgj1K2_aTyVCXDmFbc3h1O-ZeXzwV4ZnU4YYjj2cYNn5QZxYCEmaa9vu7BidXVYWwTbBoY3la0RME4VFLJwd1pHhcUeS4lZ1k5z0WsunogNgrZBToUCjZaxOnDlHxQPDmmn66dQSAo0vmxR4qftN-kpw79Ed-JB2S4yHTbvTD07AWE9nE7IfIf3aqSSDYwDsqcCm-irof5w1uDFyv1yLM9JbYHWRQVNU6S0xCuvV5NaczE-dSDTAG8HR21KaY14qqJuGlUkliCVihozIjTjVuMYaAnDTslkfPET6IgdukdXYekO3Fz4duvl6q_ndTZv1cVVcHbLFTq1vyeOAShwSwPlVjSn-AszApKDoH7ZGXx0vaLK7f54TnK=w1173-h1070-no

Allies and tributaries of Rome

“That is more of a gamble then i’m willing to take,” Elbio mumbled, half to himself. "Even though they seem to be kind of busy with Delmatia across the Adriatic."

Then, he looked up and said “No." After a slight pause, he added. "Not yet."

“No,” echoed Licine Ceie and Cnaive Ninie. “No-no-no”

“Oh well,” Tarchi grumbled. “I hope you have better ideas!”

“Senonia,” said Licine. “They are allied with the Anconans and conquering them would mean we get ports to both Picentium and Ariminium. Economic benefits from trade, plus Ancona is rich.”

“No,” it was Tarchi’s turn to shake his head. “I don’t like the territory there. Too defended. Fort in Ancona, in Sena right next to it; in Ravna and also the Boii have one in Bononia. And in Mutina, next to that. We’d be pressed between the mountains and forts, with no room to maneuver...”

n0rpL5KQI4juF8H9QgtxfEhI4LL38xCFggQ9FhUaNnFpsgmmoyqGI4lTzib0eDCAE7qsJRb_evY61Q1iL7tQLdJBjD3x9BpHKcm3pURZSzDTZEga5ECcMgsByIf9i987iZpxor8nZnPVmpgZnsrvihwGosDehBRy27E1COkJEiEzbd3tuQlspBQCD5U8T-1AoGVuSjkjSgYuVh9ldgFBQ8a_SRidd7wR9KE7SRQS11oVzj8nJzg56ijDpZQZfuFV-mqGNhUsfieoI83O391rwyWqUjLiGwdgT6FXW3waWZZdWCuPx-5hBaB6vCQTRYKn3HCAqTkDfEwFbbb0SmhQ9ZSJcfR8SNxOkj3VXqdpYJuokiEZ19zZeDjm1d0Usp-hPk1c-aMbR0Rcwz0E-kHtsq2qUTaj5TuUFrQgI7w2JvEN7RQJh2czfLpV9PW06284IbQ7vTQnuvGo9lD45y9RGb5kv8buMjUeNQSu--lq23lK5pL9VsMkvfNzdI-XHgpl3uTfyPHZR5xbx3xx0VJnijYTKJA6xE-t9zASNWE9IN9Rf-o-J8MEvsAC9q4Sfx2THUZGHm0lnkDBKtIeuivqkdzl5p14nmGv2Ohm_dSOrhoObZIzjyCmRNiKN1IFFsItUOtonP-2Hq1lnAjvGTs4YuXPgYBEgBuBt-e239eccIPQAR4NwJXvhAwyI6cwWq7zY_CEoihfqxmjXSouI06j4SG8BoSppJjrn9NpA-qP=w1323-h1075-no

Senonia and her allies are indeed well-fortified

Cnaive shook his head as well.: “It is not the forts that are bothering me that much, though they can be a problem too, true. But they are bloody celts. They worship different gods. They are barbarians, for Turms’s sake. We will have a hell of a time ruling over them, and as if we did not have enough problems with Corsicans already.”

“Agreed,” said Tarchi. “I don’t want to fur-clad smelling barbarians in my country!”

“Unless they are here as slaves,” pointed Licine.

“Well, yes, naturally,” admitted Tarchi.

“We will capture some, you know. Fur-clad females, wild and feisty,” Licine continued. “And they can be bathed, it will not kill them!”

“Hmm,” said Tarchi. “Perhaps the forts are not as bad as I initially thought...” After a slight moment, his eyes got a bit dreamy and he added “Mmmm”

“Back to the matter- Senonia. What do you think?” Elbio interrupted.

“No,” said Cnaive.

“I’ll have to think about it,” said Tarchi. “What do you have in store, Cnaive?”

“Genuatia,” he replied. “Perfect. Nicely up north, allied with Ingaunia and Ivatia, of whom neither are too strong. This will not be a walk in the part, but pretty much similar.”

-DEeBYMKzH7KKIuUK_t1exA6bXaOc6SJkqMCAvZMsZyJHYM9PMT6Y56BYLMtoHP69vbf12AoB-VWic6j2NqXmIpPwn71zsZECKEBxpT_AQ8J4EzRVTaCip_9lO46-eGlqj-41paAlV-AOtUZaiGZICGnedW3nuKaXbxRvG2DwY_Uqxbvzim5Ap6Bk0rosnWZj4E05bv7PUfoBANlArdAvyukFK2HqEWTk2jMZaDkMFvHN_9nfNwMYufyTZMhN__rowICYFHf5Z6ZxyItEWSQ7Q0jGB-R-ioMhEzK0-C93V1zp2paMa-oIYpS9cxlX2HiIHBbbHsRbdmbYQEa7xQQRlhn927m2yOnWgq_y6iXXxnCE-MrOFOU7k_beHY7rUAXTFGC78T1__evI7qoIDcKmBrE-PHNd4ozSyfB-ZQsqwvwcepynbe9SD28WmcGDu_VkxEhi3MPzPTNnOVWijy93mdPZCx_Gpwb9kNcucJDX3YdPK90Febv-9csAXj9sh6GvtulreHG8BiJcFdadgPwKb3iqqpi5RYvU5s-1o9hVQWvJ8qCaE_NGqnMEyN02Cf-2lroYMDEXZiHiNm1Z0WTo1m0PhPoJKK0SfjsONrCTCMfksjtihSvgps0Oc5wk7JonNuEapa3W8QuSN_PyzlJKg7TaNVTKnuCD81jJ4mC478cUXEZW8GK3ryH8G98KWiiz6Q-8m7X3G4tIrJpOUtH4xpZVFAzjmK8c8_qh91B=w798-h615-no

Genuatia, with her two allies

“The land is poor though,” Licine pointed out. “No cities, just settlements. Would take decades to get set up to our standards.”

“If that is the case, what better time to start than now?” Cnaive was definitely not at a loss of words. “We’d finish sooner...”

“It would drag our borders to be a bit too long though,” said Tarchi. “We’d need about three fortresses to cover all the entrances and block even wilder barbarians in...”

“While with Senonia, we can achieve the opposite. Fortress in Ravna will block everyone who tries to walk to civilized parts of our peninsula with burning desire to loot and pillage...” added Licine. “We can get rid of some forts down south, even.”

Elbio had been mostly a quiet listener thus far, judging options silently while the warchiefs argued between themselves. This was his second war council, and Etruria was stronger then ever before. Though it has been more than a decade since the first, it was still a bit daunting. He had a deciding vote, and how he rolled the dice affects the fate of nations. Humbling experience, but also, kind of exhilarating.

To be honest, the choices were that simple. Rome and her friends in south, Senonia and Genuatia in north. Or an invasion somewhere either across the Adriatic, as Rome was currently trying and apparently failing to achieve.

Finally, he opened his mouth and said: “Senonia. We need these ports, and fortified Ravna will indeed block us from the dangers of the barbarians.”

With that, the time for words was over. Now, it was time to let the spears do the talking.

Between the Mountains and the Sea
  • Between the Mountains and the Sea

“The war with Senonia was a sordid affair,” said Massimo, while leading me through the narrow streets of Vatulonia.

Instead of listening, I looked around as we passed the small city. “What happened?”, I inquired.

“Eh?” Massimo asked, lost in his own train of thought.

“The city,” I asked. “It was the crown jewel of the Etruscans after all. Now, look at it...” I pointed the small houses, narrow streets, overall smallness of the city. “Less then thousand people live here, right? It is more of a village then a city...”

Massimo’s face took a pained look. “Barbarians. Several times. Then Christianity. Then more barbarians. Between 7th and 8th Century, records say that this place was abandoned at all. Then more Christians, with sledgehammers. Then, people moved back in and there just happened to be construction material readily available.”

He sighed. “I understand you’d like to know about the fall of Etruscans, but let us drop it for now. I’d much prefer talk of the rise of Etruscans.”

With that, we actually arrived at the hotel. Imaginatively named “Hotel Vatluna”, it was a small, but cozy. Wink from Massimo, followed by slight nod from the receptionist, got me a surprisingly good price as well.

“Go, freshen yourself up,” said Massimo. “I’ll await you at the restaurant.”

That I did. The shower was just what I needed, though I had to don the same dusty and sweaty clothes. After all, my bags were still in my car, not so conveniently parked few kilometers downhill, at the gas station. Still, better then nothing.

The view from the restaurant was breathtaking. Situated at the edge of the city, incidentally also meaning at the edge of the hill, and the view down to the valley was uncanny. Massimo was already waiting for me, and his glass of wine was already half-full. He beckoned me to sit as well and poured some of the sweet red nectar to me as well. Then, he pointed at the view and said: “You know, Elbio had the same view.”

mSd3Y3BOCZJpuzhMfkwv-VUNwbVMBw-fWmZ1galcXtv6I9lbg5PZxjDdFSONQ2hLmaVzHyq71N8tjkwZr9FG9pqAHrn9UJqvL2weUYD4AgOqb62vmFtnPUARASCWbGXkcpIcPdSsH75cLNzULUBH63WGwhNMoc69Z129lgT2asESP3GPp5jQSaxCPWdlf9Sj66E38E3bQgq5BGQ73SqOOkk1YblgzPUYLsbDRW3PizbkwoM4lpfMSKeftaOCpeQUBk0v9xN2llybPLe8-fUP_bRHPwnHsRKQl0k0TXPKzTd8jY2qpxnq_8-9jLE8sxzQtJg18OqLm4XC0zBITg-_bmAegqHaofFSPHaXYxelrv0o_PAIkTyEcj3tdL9Tnf95XvRKHgioAazwrMqpv9D4C5Hj5CgnGqZiX9qDgFxQq41aM3Al-13xIGald1SuLJRiR6vsCjdD6DuUyo8u3Gv0rEmdVid8Oqt_oZ40SUO2INEaS2rZMvHPVmq_80ZDS-4WysWxlEIpkxzErHpLho_20vUh21VW0TIMvZXxqYYXl1OX8fFIypNcrNXY0YrrNwg8o04xkmKzy0UhOy-lgYmnpjoBE0bs2M9QgBmpDBVyNernO0HvM49yHTHG6dsU8Vb_QkrMuRbzeY0e0-vv4QSNa3vilGT8xmx_J6Ydm1VjK_paG4EkJs_4SQiSzQP0jUXdXQ9cRN8fXDr20aeHXenbSiYYDyitdNoFexHPtN4T=s1080-no

View from Hotel Vatluna

I raised my eyebrows as he continued: “This hotel is located in what we believe was the location of Elbio’s palace.”

I gazed at the serene rural scene and added: “I imagine it was a bit busier back then”

Massimo nodded. “Much more city in the valley below. At the time of Senonian war, Vatluna was already becoming quite a city. Population was estimated to be over 30 000, first libraries and academies built. The biggest, richest, most powerful Etruscan city.”

It was his turn to gaze down to the valley. He sighed. “Must have been truly amazing sight”.

“So, Senonian war,” I said. “How did that go?”

Massimo chuckled: “According to Elbio and his deceptive stones, it was a simple affair, where brave Etruscans defeated the enemy, who were four times the number of Etruscans with ease, looted their homes, enslaved their families and forced the survivors to bend the knee to the mighty Elbio.”

“And what does that Cicero fellow say about it?”

“The war started in September 462. It started with two Etruscan armies, 17 000 men under Elbio and 15 000 under joint command of three warchiefs, marching to Armina, where the main force of the Senoni was stationed. It was indeed 3:1 affair, but the Etruscans had the advantage. The enemy losses were not that high though, and they pulled back in an orderly manner...”

“So, it was Etruscans versus Senonians?” I asked.

“No, Etruscan League and Frinitatia against Senonina, Boi and Anconans,” replied Massimo, “Though the Frinitiatia part is conveniently forgotten by most of the stones.”

DPIM3hORzbCYgyhGRotKAFcD_K4_vNIMH-iJ0RSP7F5WYcwvKCSIpAx02Ya-SgakxdpIjB4vn-NUk6VlLrWNJLqj4B4Ex15jCmpSXb6NMdEvtmg2s2IumhT-eCbB_dveni6y8xWhSu9dtnYYFwWzCsKFoahdigxEANiP0bP_6LWjBzGDU6P0_IlQ2XE3UlHgvq0KHDP_h_3qzq3rzPKx-VfFfb3I85lmbod3-rTeH2YbBZ183DFW_iushRVlqk0oMJ21pR2nf9ABOseQ1-lRc5cnYyCcmlEc9xe_llN2QwYBRLlKIGyEJdQKPE6a626C8_C57P7BdUapmc-dqCICevKBPggQy0ngc276joxpGaqpHeom9qbHHT6wGD6ut39LSjKKDGv--onil8pWX-brb2VTNR6sKYPmNCpD7WKZ3bu6I5gdXt3prMhAfohPSrGG5MihndANuwGsT-ENCGIitg_W9nivcdUPt_Ye63DNtT50dcn4lljdGSlv3E5W3vSkSGNP0wAM2I38U1in6HdTP81XnhcQoLDT2RvPLQKgkwB7-RB8BFESLUbgzxzBpNgv0wi2G4EuwFOCIScoTM8OD22gD2zr5xAL2imaMQhZuH942WNS3GMzhLhwaN4fZY9EaQvChula3igJ81GzSvD03D_OiQGnjX3HZu_XVWch8ptwBCtShEHA9pXfGwvmQK0yq90YhksBD2ylb3cc0C5vkGkHEccqlejv44mU9GHs=w714-h746-no

Let the fun begin!

“Anconan forces met the Ertuscans in Sena a month later, and despite Elbio having force nearly twice the size, they only managed to graze the enemies. Even though the stones try to play it as victory, it really wasn’t. Not in both cases- the enemy armies were largely undamaged and both fell back to the protection of the Boii lands. Meaning that all the enemies were now nicely gathered up. At the same time, Etruscans put the Ancona under siege, while Frinitiatia besieged Sena.

ZS2YO-4r_4WFF-xVz68cegWaKLgLdETjcQmtRmPJ9jwBUFNXxl2Fid6fPN_nCtvohH3KO8VcV1C5Mbw-XTUMe69YpBTbaRD9EOtbQLl1Hznj1uv-cpeGhsZIe2aFnqOiHnyAZq6X_g2ODK7Qi5-yMlDEwQfy53aMMEFqnw4dU3pRJWRPwNaUh3366nav3rnhNO26HAJ_rj8H6kmYBa_3_uykVOJU0HsTg_cy5-UF7jGG6KiLdKhMyn9j3hwhFg2jpeboHwHoapdRLBDNEujrpZ23vh1pNBETvjJuE4KXur63uYTozrZVS7_Vw4yJKHmn8onxBqxVVMJacA5zL557McVZ3SVf2aGyoa4YLBT84sESYu3sXhXUYfAJZyzEGqYrSPKbQ0t3wGMxVFRtoI8F5Ecf4vt2aMfmP9tL0YcT9h5UIzmq6V05oz7HZmSBfwO641NOyrNdxA6Qw_GErelT4hlDLyOSaIkjCzuqTJ6B9yXO9xvmEnUSsb_G6wzBU2e9gRLHJmN0zb3-Lws7txRYEw3KHqEVdeNkmWLE3TcvEjL6NxofVDE5t2Emx4QdtDwILD30DUnH1A55VSV3Ch-zHO9I_eSv1h4X1In4YDYztqmYH1A99oxBa4dUR9ZqpDoKRSMsAOuZ8mpxnzzQ7A2956VGf1O4zT5Z_CcClwafKAiUwJ50jq0wCFSsfdiwoSmkyUytX7FKZ8p_ZjHvVEiwPFYhK2F2jDvAobcSk_Kz=w1134-h877-no

First battle of the war

The, the Boi came. Came with intent. They sneaked past Etruscan forces, though Elbio managed to get their rear guard.

The enemy penetrated Tuscia and were caught only in Persna. Half-busy with looting the hapless populace, Elbio descended upon them like a hawk. And managed to force them back, leaving a fifth of their troops in the field.

XVHchZMpE5jZuEoFJez4uRVAIf78mlNBqJVZoHLtFOcCs9UFj86SZiRiX6STLVNbcZv7ef-kx4FhUtj0TcK8P6ffv2M2iDushs_-1dKcJn5xyee2FKrAQtBadplXonHJv-b8kVdTTApJ2sTcxcvC0xwH2Bj5O8AV7DHd0NMEWRi0h1umIV1Y5FeTebm4N3FQ5tuPwS7tvGWKPXr5jLtY9xpDPDdRZP7epwagAkWdTZq5nBt2v45R0eiajdWtmFEBnudyqtvuKC3TmlWbb1ViD0_qpFv4qHd8SvJtts7GRjqcXkuRGvTgJrMhxPNU3h4HBv8m0G_26PnRnwhQFy2Bb5eKJxJl_SOTW0JevxaFTQveiqXqDxmHCVHwTTmI5KhDD-59TV92tUtnuL_BHu3IBpoWiZ_6AtCpYp8N8QnTY1qqQEWLM00OXG5XhtNRf2p3xI-RkrsWI6VrQm8O-LCxI6FUVlZ7WKXj4HKyZ_fzWttlmAo_ytErhhGiphXCzANQDRmHOpvQvAq5ZPAxRgEfwufVcVzqa5Cep13l3wq7O2YHd6ERzDkb7S1MOHlA2t3JbuyFhN5L15Dr-5W6s6cASSV2vn-QRoK1h0POxRirjYxtx-1OZL9i4HgJgeG7uiBYW7Rl78yg4YDWc1Mq9h0BNUQPk1nvMmFeum-2UpBGYwmLXE1C-KPUYLT84eU9lemHa5LfmHH-SUpcoECnexYbeui2KLigJVx3e3QY5_bU=w1641-h795-no

Oh boi, the bois are coming

It was during that time Elbio changed the setup of their troops. Following the Roman way, with heavily armed veteran troops called the principes making the core of the army. Heavy infantry was quickly on their way of becoming the backbone of the Etrurian army.

qLc2fYElfZF4goAqgBA90GH-ZSZuTUtxNxGLI4uQmY0_DvJbywRc7aT7ZcqN3SfK0hHGDbnIcrTPy9ZY7B0yUAltj2gg23n6kYVbLuyN5gqAk0edKAbpn3gvsPXZi-KnsP0mgy2fO9uX0wFKZuKZBnB0k5FSrMOKHpzg6HlWT6a-J4qKsz6qb6uLxTbZfpylbpSQt-vOnOFjwxmntoZKH0ww6eqPWT2I7rU8tZU7Wd7uR7_TD7_CjVfPJtGGyGfmC2txV9etjNuu498wl9N4F_tbUU5KuuKTZjuD2sdzu6LmvP51RvcnYA6_eDowl9joKGwS5LyrDqQz8bVcM5W0OIbEIhsisUvacb6l_eQV2gxKbHGI_Wo8N2gf1cloxUT0yiLHkyWNBr5Ytq_pe-EFeUJYutL5E4oZrwiGy2oEr4p8mYxLXaw_jcoP8MytHMHb3JxCW8J2_4kZSmznhnawYCmQgwilnG5Evi3fICTp1zOEA--WLXJEmJgVr3ekhQHF1QybuNU8e_vbRXGwGY9hcuoDkus4EhXg-2OdTC_r4-gDOCo8b69JmTRupVFt1882UvEgw24lDFaJm5gyNfiEsXTu-FM3qYmLo90nVonFmi8FS61r6jQC0FDs3tC0X6TF6PixgJ5u5JSswY1avpeZOETuj4C33ohMIk_nnOMkBbsz1ry7vQwuWrEeUPsjaz1TCRUfGeQi373rJddP3gYfnTWRC8vyTM-X7uRIMeZu=w610-h629-no

Principes. The Etruscan kinds.

The Boi were but a distraction though. They were meant to lure Elbio inland, while Senonians and Boi marched to relieve Sena. With no Etruscan relief forces around, the Frinitati were hit by Senonian force. Elbio marched to the rescue, while Licine stayed put, besieging Ancona. The result- Frinitati fled, abandoning the siege. Senoni managed to send in supplies, relieving the dwindling food of the fortress. Then, Elbio hit, forcing the enemy to retreat. But he was a bit too late. The siege had been disrupted.

WXuwf73n7fH1JV6tCR3vOo118GMsnN01mkdlD2VuqHRm10l1Ff3XUaXKHYuzV7TBU2xIWtWfrr-pg9Ei33U__Q9Zar5cEDeIhuYDA4SUuhyHFudBnovS92Hl8KsD8NEOKrmAswajGc5yBGK9ILBBdNWUS_JUQXkykGWqiBqVUgbDUaJQz7SIPHay4VNaHabt4NKrS08WB-ADAGwMos4gzLKyAN6BDPkcp24WAVRFXVFzQPRWJnXnGWL0zD-Uh1t8pjMPke8LvRunDXLVppb3EDaMVyLINZdru_Yu-Vr-81R0tdg2ANRljb4rsaKERlIaTjIlqY2KVuHz3n_6uVrr1vjMdz1kjlojcq_Mz_qSrWeNAxAFKtySFMf-GsDcY8IvUyMDP9-fgUw1cTQHLR0TB4iy3vtsd4X7-39qMTFwZQQTf3-f7E48NypAYyzWGO0JAVx3H34t0Ju3j7o-kupuuDZdF5V3QAmu1H7S4Jq-nPJabrnjqY-NDfuFzYpY-ywFpfkBejNkxtRebMvJIsfERwRWy-2t7DM9TXpkqSZ5I85PuwB4g5BEdMkF0oG0b24TiYMPgHmkQF99YhVVPKXAfxnI5wN44B-nNwQ2eKT4gPV-1bbnDQheR-1l8hYh0bv4CHfbzuQcWmdDzuTCwTA2KOyZPySGLZnHooSOkawBlwRV8lYC5FQrkHKmTaURN3ZYPo2L33oUfnzOrY_lcHPNfONnINH5D5Xe4V4BtlLX=w1506-h943-no

Just a bit too late...

Fortunately for Tuscans, the siege of Ancona ended a few weeks later. With some citizens captures and slaves and sent to Vatluna, Licine marched north to start the siege of Sena, while Elbio took on the allies in Ravna, winning yet another minor victory. Then, he marched all the way to Tuscia, where yet another small Boi army had sneaked past and entered Etruria proper.

SctnFuHTN9f_WL9Ox4FSMQFg_s-odhHRQXxWYyimHfAuw_iStw51813IfE-t0UR9u2_u44U67MZh4zUZ9Z9JD28SMUU5dlQedwOGCMWvR264rs9i7ayeIH9rjLBUhI74SrqtrqyuUqGwmkgs1kaRXzotOQu7aFbHy_m1BAj53msBgDHLZq5uqfgRauh3So3YS28Y_W1tcrRHOsLXDJDF8yPFWFvZl5rmcJSTotZq1nJ0ONblZAo2tuOSlxF8eRtQA3X-GG0oZgVei8i8asp6EEMu_NdtNFCvRAQiHpTza2yYHPzQsFNhyDPlUGvjRdB4DCsdlNGGe0Xe8PUVhcdpINQTDPxbJrW8Ds7yOMS_GCt0QkyOxiTEomODPWUOAo8xedel85qyGlvfnn-4kyKOsjwQqLpR5D52yzRvN_5GJSYGh-bKfBOKWYZ9EngSVlUyR0wfgG7kFkXD7qgS4wt6nDjDEz27Ob0Mui3uXRjOG4QDJlEV6DPXVswssGRzsQvA2QOkUTl1cYJpifAVUjzCKF6OTtKnvRum2WCAWlB2NAAPkfvSNniYahg55Ei3WA9SSlEvP42cK2V_NAB_pWr5D7JpxmZmgHjCXUsN-bEWNc3wZhhmGkBn3liBbv87QhOe5ECLmDLuaFxvai_BY56L86egGBE0sjaTjKPgg-nDDaWsAx6tLrnbKmYkyrN1-a8GLJzfHcYHU-P-vZ-yaflTIsMA5gmsjotgztHLgjva=w1601-h983-no

Yet another minor victory

The siege of Sena ended in December 464, after nearly 450 days. And to think, it was almost ready to fall when the enemy attacked Frinitati... Followed by Elbio taking Ravna in February 465.

By then, the northern neighbours of Boi smelled blood. Lingonia, just north of Senonia and Boi, also attacked the poor Senoni. Not that there was much Senonia left to attack, so they took on Boi. The Etruscans had disrupted a precious status quo on the north, leaving one tribe weakened. Like sharks, the others were not above taking the advantage and gaining some power for themselves.

v_3Puz6kWoTX3XSJLJbULjk3tAldSqxQWAifItTOtc-sqyq_cPD8ut_NFzQ30FlEnNft8szkqSbdDRemdqiwe_bFjMsgbCWYXPAsGkUDzQXSlNIkM3g-MGiX6-eJdg9Uq_LgQh5r9ortyxBK2hIOYTgbUzMJP2DbUSYgidr_I07Dm8fAZRuk_vovP9nGrOeroufi2hwUuVsl2wQjzEoP4U4ELua_kXWXYvO8Wu7CGstfdx6HcBXvNV6suKB9-l9c1sU-8WfrQSrE79H2ALLFvyIbJSlDaV8ynzuKy18Pz4FK6xjnArw-X93kTYhkjXfv9ZUFcRLRwMmMm63ywaNlSUHis1KaCjBr6AnCHDik5nivX7MxVJygAJchkQvO2aMIAO_RENiPolwr1k_QBcIG_UYu4GkgRZNE9beQARDOeirsQYxWv7TYKqOvqe7DNkAehE63PytI3Qmod2TZZxEPSx6UWZ-URb1FFUtdJESSsas7Sj_FMd0Ey8kNptcgWfH_QnJiFtHKT-tG6x9UPQeajWpTZS_8GL-e4e4XHNaxCfB1QmxU2jFywwjQP-ZUMwY7Kiz8J1h67kB1Sl7z63Z5QUAviCLclymMJfGC3AhEzaeYPmpbwGA630usaamuq4Q5syiJlMVC3h4srcNA74E7my4ReGZHk7A7Ly_lPE3tbUp1351e1qFGSxq_s9VY5SzyxQ5nXCmYOKx_PhegO7EKAedjlB6RfXDPN5Y4brke=w1720-h902-no

With neighbors like these...

The war was almost over. Emphasis on almost. The army of Licine had marched north, to Faventia. The last province of the Senoni. And as usual, they got careless. Already confident in their victory, they spent what armies do at times like this- looting and pillaging the countryside. Marked by burning villages and screaming Senoni, not proper patrols and such. So, when the final attempt of the enemy to attack came, they were caught with their pants down. Some of the soldiers, literally. The war had taken her toll and almost nearly 10 000 soldiers of Licine were caught by enemy nearly twice their size. Elbio, as soon as he heard the news, march to help, but it was Licine who saved the day. Gathering his heavy infantry around him, they held waves of enemies back while the enemy came, relentlessly, though unorganized. Superior morale of the Etruscans held them back, until Elbio arrived and forced the enemy to retreat. Licine the Victor, the Etruscans chanted, while Elbio watched from side, full of envy.

i52b2g-r5WNhW5Ar6EpLBzETq_rQBSDomX1XFMirnELSKRmSN78QjmlUSjsKDnpBoCYuOYcyz7HFiQfvrJMRbTmjjNXIYD8SHhUWfXl4thHxWfcp4AvwsvPUTrQuj8ji-7wdlWXd2YEDrIc8jwb8f_xRRogTqkdKgR9bKpCkTE2n9VyAdpwXEqXd1PiP2SYTo8IWVGwBm87wJF4jwC6DgZN8DUCi7U8xKoV6Rr_CYVw5bsIhYzOVlEt8Kg4eooaGaO-5EMq-T17PSZHEQ1v61PdKqQfpFiDscUXpV5M2BiSCqAd2wC5ygE2rVr7B5uEzON1njEa3BWq26PrCdpPYo9zmUbYalyGQ79qNegjkP7JO_O7TS3aICs1cOgmNk8snt3Hm--AT0OaB7Z39L9jGxVB-VxFvmyaQkxfc7u1zqbNowgrnrcb010PNTV_o9iyLRLDJwemwf8Pl9yzPG6XXunxg8uHFSZPWNTnKMDXfeh5zLpFCMhJ67epUssGE5K_0FElN8CPrA8_fEXCTGYXrz2LlRJTEZTOr87xWgedvfKXrRCyDm6966Sit4jtNeccTqB5j39HkXQD1voafmEBsDlNTaqfVoClp7MFMWRg0cItwGWROn671_160zinOnbL7bnPdbejEZDG3ryW26quSdLYmvVwpIKThU5Kubu3ApX1MmgT4v6VsGBVr-9IcPslvAsaDZnpSif_6Bp-hLyhwTHwK5DiAULZCripYGetp=w1069-h1205-no

Long live Licine!

The Battle of Faventia was in the middle of April 465, and the province fell a few weeks later, resulting in more slaves to Vatluna. With this, the territories of Ancona and Senonia were under Etruscan occupation, the enemy armies hit hard and the Boi busy with new threat up north. The was was basically over. In 18th April 465, Elbio signed peace that resulted in Etruscans gaining the lands south of the Northern Apennines.

yOvOaAzYj5eqw9Szlv0sEgXf6SmxEl9PE_0eTaKwgBG0aoD6Djak7pfdK5fNZbGtNAWZVafAnbshNv9-KmByNdvPeAUXkfvmmMOtb9j6yfHszH5A4sxiuWaDZKM5YoXLtazBDW7XPP0KlbBmGUc-NmENniuAPG4itutO4Rl9JJW6mKoHz0tqyUkAS7Pigg_0yqsSRsPvBA-rU6xlB9IbNflUXh9Sx-bn7IFKDPwc22LBsQKtM6RuIboUF2oLQ3RRKxzeEqEwHvPXmP4Ja_3EJFO68azoJRmtc_GPhyskU1o3bapu__u_lmSuKMNLDUdKHsTEhWNuDaNm05lvH1wGHTxwjrF4Sq2fTDbfIHzGEN3ygZOdsirHYhq01eArsBnVxGx0RtJT5WbUecVWKkkruvj0OaB-JtYqnFOybdtlYNQkS8fgLK-OUJdqoKFD4POMOezz0SL0gb-k2aWTqV7wNWDoaHdedzIFy_qCgx8orBjvj-XWSA6MGWYYAayTwx3irYb5fJLM0hVVn34QwzMBaQpq8QM6ynkcbbcJ-kS5-hsQgM7ZIUicte0mCaHnQ-0QM5w_fajmAdDnsOsH8S0U0VprsZwbn3O4WvzXdauTC3YeEHYGbra_EU2iYcruTAmjuW-9_me0GaPcX4ZRtyWr6XpTHj0oLqYXqYDLYzS4DnjBd0B-V38XbYlGlFFH75frvLKPdgzGhWjEyJckRnbd2vgRn2gyVpFs1DSVaSba=w1428-h1056-no

The victory

Now, Etruscans hold both eastern and western passes through the mountain range, making difficult for enemies from the north to enter the lush, rich lands in Central Italia. Both passes are of course guarded and fortified, thus guaranteeing the relative security from northern Celts or other barbarians.”

2Oxvyf6vZLWnY1NqGaZpWKUl2ZjC6SSdqzvWsjLqYZRY_32NYAFH-bhTjuw4aazdqaqNYFDexGC5iNO8vQEnBqkI5wHcA8LvHr5IgThgbEEJVb6MGcC3zUzQ2Pvi7fBi9o12zzMRamG8JegCZgYLgv9FQE90FUkiQOkuIYHO42LYpR6Fn51aWp2MTEyGyXJkj0Edpfz1ZmQ5QRhlG6MK4geUsZ_xhT_L4_GmEuHHreLpsrO3M-sp__RS6S_6nog5kvzcekym7YInnMK-zcdmuHj5iLP7pTU79zaKBxC1KpufrNDxkGUGztU5gHGv--cVot8UYTlxosnD1ZMYh9yqyDrjZESzM-gTnmWKTbtE8PKkpBAKkrnlqBDipdl_rfnVAhacRAaVjtC1q7eN8Ggy1Fm0px6o0x2gQtFIzbpEhocBJdg9s70nrXeyXJpbX6TqnuTd9puqhs4P_y1bUSt4aY8kQdWmZTPHlLUFueUrrrv1GX3m-UPCYLRMrGUelO2QVflX6CKCR9SYocz5Yp4ZDQ4E8cQHmaKXZnYgHvxrvt25B_ot3uapaTEaKstog4cxSmWSVLXfwSgnTEHILlNBZPI2piVvVnOIOzOHQ9zzh9PhN8IltLV_ypXt6JqQ2P1qv1kjV1iu0jD_2B0dYPxftOpXGrTjAHfnDn-A1KyN1zG6j2M0UALLtywCDE65R20Z-ahVxOhWFBFEwwNTl-IJuSGHZmu2s9XL0SZUfltg=w1329-h787-no

Lands of Etruria, almost secure.

Massimo, who had told this with almost one breath, took a sip of wine and lit a cigar, waiting for my reaction to this lecture.

“So, not really successful war?” I asked.

“Why do you say that?” he inquired.

“Lot of battles, but none of them decisive. Both sides lose a little, then one side pulls back, recovers and comes again. Apparently, neither the Etruscans nor the enemy managed to get the upper hand in none of the conflicts.”

Massimo just nodded, while I continued. “And three years or warfare, countless of lives lost in the narrow gap of land between the mountains and the sea...”

Massimo chuckled. “Getting poetic there, mr Doom? Between the mountains and the sea...”

I continued, ignoring him “And all that for six provinces... Provinces full of fur-clad celts, worshipping different gods. This will not be an easy integration.”

“There is something else the Etruscans gained though,” added Massimo. “Leonidids”

“Ehh, what?” I asked, confused.

“The Leonidid family. One of the prominent families of Ancona. Their head, Pyrrhias, managed to sweet-talk Elbio into sparing them and instead, Etruscans took the entire family in. And they played an important part in the future of the Etruscans.”

w6nIdPr8AxLko0pQYtZi4qk4j1jzsjE70lEnmZCxEanOw0azNxpORSsXFyUP3lNbN7d-abB9V9vParUiMr_CKow1SLIAPk9TupFypBSAynjnZYvutmyZAXTmcKnI1qIBlV337Tw63sWY_gOCKffcxzxaiVvGndkIJxMxoD3F0IAhmRuNCNyFEMnh7xP137wr9RNUIOVSTsl6FNAavJRp3-BXkUJ6QzLB6yD1if2ibB1f7emGqpx0HRi1DQfAcDD3a-rRYbAbOgvLQUDquF24ZdEO8WBxXGIQR1YNpSUC4gcW2Jq25eT3LHyc2wI6xbTWg02kLvKMVwfRCWTCdCEFDWdsLl8U0TdPWF7wmLeRej4Nz6gvhuMAFaxm4hVbXZL_cz0cH_xZlybWJU2pKqtn0zyv8oR4TAvO0Wxrzs26FzUcbRgkhcZ3p0bMSGRfZfrKo2X7Q2RoPCgr2zghqbjeXj8fvnJJdoDE5qalmHOslbyBhkrU5aiUz9z4qdx8XnDW3eMPQn0yA7hOsdfEwY-bOdYAKtl6qLjG_JmQCYKJvkg3H8oYRIGljcTC9Fh2_2Ic79ztW73frewF48W_3TfnDcrwMe_xpV4_hKjz4PywQxn-4BgeJc6xERO9UKUUin8HhILLVMjR2387gyQD3ZXyjafh7zwl-LvhBeYqQIjdmbIrRZpkjHQWPS7a_A4I4hytvTL7gSmlK4JcThlnuehC5hFRCqLOoufZEEdpSLG7=w990-h702-no

At least, the Etrucans killed his rivals. And friends. And wife...

“Just like that?” I wondered.

“It was highly unusual,” Massimo replied. “Etruscans usually preferred murder to integration, especially during the Early League. We don’t know much about Pyrrhias, but he must have been an extremely persuasive man.”

“Imminent death does make people really creative,” I mumbled.

“In this case, really creative,” Massimo agreed. “And soon, Elbio instituted two Leonidids into office as well, Kleanthes as Magistrate, Machatas as apothecary. “

ROgMQanfUy21n3GKT-abEjx5e23t9BccGPIx1qQ4HG_HZtBEz3MbmeNhDL_-nhysJTUgmHdUYloTnrwuG0qZ_lQML3frac4XITDCEra-dyztyTWAN_ffSVUwaC04_bzSIDqjrbOJf-350zDUdDpIQyOo8q7BSOW0Ta3QJ_xBg6NGq-wfZ5gpk0PUyE2_Fvb3zkLjHVewJOMT4j8HiNdf4kVj8Blr774WwDRtLVAl4ueh9YtednTyjKf4mO89FbGoQy9JRFvpOHBSSqO1BqfExIHy6r84zfldgdB6oOegXSwjFFly03i3ZbSemlKYgD3ZLIhBLw1dDwo6VEksx2uZn6o1oJjGy02AM72SJ63u5bf4GMshytQWZ1kdWdQKlbLcKwLjhj5hDIyaiB9cCmRiWlCBZXzo3NbIcySNf95dNCldOxnxxA4tGp1BV_FnM3SVSC_XWc7EaFBuasjjq9aIZK3Rj0U-JoKXK885D6ZGpfQ5pSQsLw-5WJWPyDL-O4yWyiitUlcCoLmT7FD7zAPogo--I4MtMzfaWV2__JqE78KooOLWJmOETx7UqJrdkokLR8c4ejF2Uk-8cLJe6kMFGfZOR5eZn32yXeuolYOxsc3UWN_tbW-YYO1AsAQC4wNmguDfvROoF9L-hDE1bul34mwtRp5wULnncW8lBqB_Os04pBujcpUlgG5gik-PlxfCESkpLlX6782RiY3FhFh5voT5RjwaETiIl972TfYW=w920-h681-no

Hello, our newfound friends.

“Ok,” I nodded. Then, as an afterthought, I asked: “Oh, and how was Rome doing?”

“Rome’s adventure overseas failed. Libernia, across the Adriatic, was a clear victor in this war and forced Rome to re-release Sipontum and allow Marsia to become independent again. Minor setback, for the Rome was still a major threat.”

pgirtDbA-oTR-hB3eYNGPCEeuN_wYXFwTxxp072XpKITK01fQsEJfEH_mI9-oeeVUPsC2nYJLdelhDvUr5w4GEvdM3woALmOXVBlhnZ2q2VVRVYihmcPvUsQFdtIiSRqyvghNpsjM-BxoaoYyCxwXCCvUKUan-oPhCcbMaSZdF7Abuf7cGDfw33GbHtt_O-Ehq_BDMx1rJO6CGWWKal7-4I8uCVE3EhK9uv_pl2oJUgcDrP3AW7hcV6-a2GIO7W5k6pCYjirw7kWkOYWHT56wCWgdlOVgmG81WNuHCHdK2LrbgCswCnl0pPbJf_gM2MqLJYNhkpwcU7l8I4lOFbykISRi0ku4RUxTArFaiABOa-pr2bg-vmtHA0oi2Qwb0lFFTpCh_99hdhXf2MZqo7e0HhffWivI9kLqiQp9fEi-4HGoCCnACcwrwpgmtWC4PRja-MkEiFjF0KlajuUaEgCMVXRAU1Kv_50nmcEE2oNz2wLY72Txhr6oBuLJ0lfwMsUwibPsFlA7JrRO0jPwZXPa8-tCsYtKl-SrLKqOuW4I6oc-OPcNuobEZE8aOWpKCM_KhbBZJOMERumYQoS3M1hi30kKRnPzQrVZiMBZekuhgYqLVlT3Ah73WlYNBCMEXqgmt7GesanLJHL1FV-kFYD_ElJD0C7BIReDI1JCd6QRlaHCvRxUD2fCZJ3nz1_fiZowWSEPrsMXegG_nWiaulyEiZ8Fqwk_gtfuW2mL78D=w1003-h643-no

Rome, not doing so well for a change

“And with that, enough about history today,” said Massimo. “How about we have some fun?”

That we did. Me and my newly found friend sit, drank and chatted until it became dark. Then, we drank some more. But what we chatted about is of no interest to you.

Island of Thousand Fires
  • Island of Thousand Fires

“Island of Thousand Fires” seemed to be an appropriate term. It was already nightfall when we approached and the island was lit by what really seemed like a thousand fires. I guess sometimes the names are literal. As the ship pulled to the harbour, I also found that he Greek word for the island- “sooty”, also describes it pretty well. Nothing comes without a price- and the price we pay for our riches and luxurious lifestyle in Vetulonia is paid here. Though breathtaking from afar, the blackened buildings, dirty faces and sooty taste of soup does not give the same impression from up close.

When the ship pulled to the harbor, I could smell the soot in the air. Smell it, taste it at the tip of my tongue. This was not my first time in Ilva, but this time, it seemed worse. No wonder too, for Elbio had expanded the mine considerably. The island and her rich iron veins had been base of Etruscan wealth before. Not only wealth, but power as well. The quality of iron also translates into sharpness of Etruscan weapons and power of Etruscan armor.

G5e8MxbKq0w7HkebCFhtPL4c4A8JFB9N_t9z74fwHvU_BLfK_yptlQnBPBPIqiTV1Yg1uUwu07CC-XxaKEtpLfhu71xmZSdWN8mnC_FuNQMd2OPsIiwPt4CDss_2aLUPZLBoAggxdzfE9fcBwpzG-fmwcF0xXXbv9BlCkM4Ho2MD1lJ1WtdvrHBC6L-sYEVfgh7EhsGsg_inGe4B-4GolBdXw3E3jVu_Tw3t6m3_mZBOgaEb15adSlPMC8nRCd-nlOAN_YZw5iG9-U2c9NsQiMOyawCYMl5uAUSAgmcWcI-qzSuiZMbftk2dN83msK7XHSWcnkH0purBGmU-8IrOlQKRtaI1cLV1PFS7J1VrgNAfbSRzwrtL8YO2gIDqGo6cs21RlYdrrWKLELLqwCWXwUn7V5zzY_P8QBcNwIy9uGTmU1tXBKo1BKp2koGcds5xqIHQroXvjJXYkLfcZOffgTNrLoJkiCxvN4Oy0UG6-wHv0VIu9cSFtkUY7S_2jBQ9nusrYnOvEFRqhsXr5r5w7k2iZIQYapOF7FShNy9_i7QTsIir5RfcIEgu7sAv9kA_rlqKxIOBszvxc7sVdYuO0xsO3U98h1ymqraIrgMte5Ah50mEhadEdfqcpMywx-xu8EKOXRgKSo4rtfifE_XfrGwm1p57n-10znqMyPJqWv9k9lpzMo60o65YAjjkgqvlgpxSYtdmny5JQi1_X1m336RFEF72_AEJTRvpA65lTg=w701-h671-no

Province of Ilva. Now, with more slaves

The ship had been finally docked. I figure appeared next to me. Man in his forties, scarred, with a wild beard and simple clothing. There was a smile in his eyes as he opened his mouth.

“You know, Lars,” he said with an open smile, as he leaned on a railing. “Visit to Ilva should be a requirement for all them fancy nobles in Vatluna.”

“Hmmm, captain?” I muttered non-committedly.

“You see, then you would realize what riches smell like,” he said, theatrically sniffing the sooty air. “And taste like,” he added, sticking out his tongue, licking the air with it and making a disgusted face.

I burst into laughter as he added: “What really gets me is what riches sound like. Though you shall hear it only after we set sail again, when I tell my sailors scrub the ship clean again. It is not for the faint hearted.”

Then, his face got into more serious tone, as he said: “The only comfort is that we shall be gone in a few days, and get to breathe fresh air again.”

“These sorry lads,” he pointed to our live cargo, being unloaded. Or rather, being walked off the ship, with guards poking slower ones with spears. “These lads, they will have to smell it for the rest of their sorry miserable lives.”

He paused for a moment, then added: “Fortunately for them, it will not be that long.”

I looked at the sorry lot and added: “Unfortunately for them, their death will be even more miserable. And once they leave this world, there is no-one to remember them by. Not a soul will burn an offering in their memory.”

The joviality of the captain vanished as we watched them, herded into the harbor. From the looks of it- Anconan Greeks, Senonian Celts, some Umbrians and also, some Etruscans. Mostly young or early middle aged. By the looks of them- some were farmers, with strong arms and sun-burnt skin. Some, more fair-skinned, with soft hands, had enjoyed a more luxurious lifestyle. Some, judging from their posture, used to be warriors. All the neighbouring nations and professions, crammed into the medium-sized ship, were represented. Not that it mattered much. Whip of the overseer feels alike, no matter if you were a noble or a peasant. The darkness of the mine shaft is alike. The pick leaves calluses on your arms, no matter if you were born as a tribal member or an aristocrat. And in the end, you die alike. And your body will be dragged away and put into common graves, where you spend the rest of eternity. Nameless, forgotten.

“Such is the way of the world,” the captain shrugged, as the people were herded off. Then, he turned to me. “Lars, want to go drink ourselves into stupor?”

I just nodded. As we left the ship, he added: “Live cargo always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That can only be washed away with wine. Lot of it.”

Then, he mumbled to himself: “At least I can be sure iron ingots do not try to throw me overboard and take over the ship if I left my guard down.”

We went and drank ourselves to stupor then. The wine tasted sooty.

The next morning, as we oversaw the iron being loaded into ship, I commented. “What I really do not understand is how this works...”

The captain scratched his head. “How so?”

“We mine our iron, right?”

“Right,” he nodded.

“Then, we sell the iron?” I continued.

He just nodded again.

“And then, we buy more iron from barbarians up north?” I said. “Instead of using just the iron we mine? And somehow make more money and get better equipment then just mining the bloody iron and using it?”

The captain laughed. Then, he just patted me on the back and said “Lars, you are a simple man. Do not try to understand the world of commerce.”

He thought for a moment, then added. “Let me try. Money moves things. And making things move generates money. So, we move things and make more money while doing so...”

GxUi0k6qJT_PB7iTQBBDJG5o6shqg5VdjL2LDEHZRlEYw6tzCTo3rTqSFvZtkitkds8rnAHwMQ3gsYJSd_iacQ-Hx70nnouAc_LSGX6K52vNmyhl5zSLJHQ1F25nAIKD9JpCdpA_3kiEmtSq_4WKh63XxTzED13xltW2YTj0dAuiu94tA9ExI0xCxXkmBPfQ8DjgtPmmfuWlNzGBsuvIjePLZRoqjei9ggqSHEbbvJu--sxyfbNgo77KJuHAB2KBefmOrDyyNRr0rWqrXfaYyErPnLPBzvGv-cHZCGDri-E_OajWY_438wOhwaTfLuGpK8RSmEDFTy9cIPvGmpLehulyNX2BKSMlTflN1ysobOh4lTJkCYgWlqWGhit2pxGpm4qb7xi3x_gAH2uSKyKJ34B6mfUIEV2DuJ8Sg3EH2MKmqkbirAMflJ13NKrchGij2-YH8t0P54qePyYemdCcNn7FxgY9M8P0UDdmesec2k2ENSSUcUQIOZ2UArs2XQhx7N3Y7y487OXGveWab4HFjY4kP5wUAM9ZEITj8tHi0ryQ7x1FVWcv4Wi64ip_QmeI_ZVVPaIt8KsJvLpp_scjJrqDM5EYNXnCeFuQFFGgg0b_wiF4YAHMmiDuZqN7bgoQS1s4cIZ8EGLoafEDXfoVwGvARb4fYR-yIJrOwJbLItOFuT5PSoGujLtmg4OVS19xQP2JT1Gp8nwSMAaEnCmJ5uTT-qIKwneF7QqUHz2BZA=w602-h479-no

You produce iron, you export iron, you import iron. You profit

“My head hurts,” I commented. “And not just from the wine...”

“Mine too,” the captain replied. “And not just from the wine. But I know enough that if I move cargo, I make a profit.”

Be both shrugged, then said “This is the way of the world” in unison.

“More wine?” he asked.

I agreed. While the dockhands loaded the ship, we drank ourselves into stupor again.