• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haha, a lovely way to treat the restart! :D Very glad to see you back in the saddle. Imperator's AARs have been few and far between and I think the game deserves more.

Welcome back! I do like the manner of the restart, it flows with the ongoing story well, and provides an interesting point when it comes to studying history - can you trust what is written?

Nice to see your back.

Dishonest stones - what ever will the dastardly foe think of next? :D

Nice to see this back!

Hmm, so dishonesty is prevalent here. It’ll also be hard to trust later stones with this new info...

That's a very clever way to do a restart.

Tuscia
Tuscia
It was an early spring when I grew restless. The lavish parties bored me. The hunts gave me no thrills. The aristocrats, with their self-important ways, disgusted me. So, one evening, I left my fancy outfits, my servants and my house behind. I donned a plain worksman linen clothes, and walked to the poorer parts of Valtuna. Found a nice tavern on the roadside, nothing too fancy. Found a quiet corner there, outside, facing the road and sat there.

The innkeep looked at me suspiciously when I ordered something to eat and good wine. “Money first,” he said, then looked with even more suspicion when I reached my pouch and pulled out a newly minted gold coin, with lion on the one side. He took it carefully, bit the coin and I watched with amusement when his greed fought with the intent to report me to the authorities. The point where greed won was clear. The coin slipped into his pouch and he walked off, returning soon with change and an amphora, promising food soon.

z8TeRvTEwSxsdwZFm7YxiWjZqmfQs7NKhb9t1j-dXCgdyo7wUCi4Q3Qk0_k3YtYXQ2hrFfdUPbCiF1dTsMsPaM8inMYhUAXvM2Jd3iUyvxivb_Aq8K5GAD7eh5D8a_3qwoVSYmDpzYst7GDVDcOHGouo3kVRH2ToJcP5cF6SqZEbYNywzeo_pu_C4e_FcX2HCBX2giy2-CRFEIgXvgY2v4r3Z1GQuAujK0-SA5br0iAPIsnuY0QdDuiGiCuMwg5HK7AJVpzrb2Dms_BCn2dHNcemuenkJ5FQYM5A7PaCFNn-tzvC_AETyYdnW_NaAZFWtg-9-AYfmSwVdSYnce4pTId-ql23xJasdLKq0-acFN9mvWtmILW-_4xLrEbqE7jNRqHAXpZx5pWHVFR_uZFHbk_VSaXspX5nHp3d2r4WVEzTZuggoryMRLPvENbAmBMZfgDzdLjKp7PZ0Q3ywcubSeVURnL1J7qaEfHrgwGWX2sVjRHYyjkLMW-KqJnr_2gAj3dZaUCWlqXecHePc8dNsu8n7LAdkbbQlG9kBCsumy1sAZvG7-ETaY9qYr0t4JADg5gBHPdxfexatp4NS2hO22Ol5X7317QVbyB0kJNcn3Dn3GJnQXKRg5RdzYNtiWnVtxmxUGSA9XDrtFIZrVAWtP6F62Bhm5FMC6v5G7yk-J2_Y1nWXCkAcaBQw2G4GO0K7-MQDZAvLLWfcmylgpHKsqA8IOe1xhb-31gBA8kGHg=w991-h501-no

Etruscan specialty- one side only

I played with the change, several silver and copper coins, gazing at the elaborate pictures on them. The minting initiative, started by Elbio a few years back, had really taken off. He had restrained himself- no coins with his picture. I also noticed that the innkeep made some miscalculations with the changes. To his benefit, of course. I decided to let is slip, and instead, poured wine into a cup and drank, enjoying the last warming rays of the sun.

HiLQmoDZL0ffroJS6B847XoGsnQnjx0lXc-o0U1vr_plUUN94FjMyUKyl6lAkJyOZw9JkL1nZ9HMLQ1loAXUoIGr7WWQgWi9ABOC9at72KBzS12to8Is4RB8i09zcc6qg-JcHRskxq8i9Vjpl0FsVZ_thQebrFO3d-yeW3m9F8XVcvZy21cgcj_05LGmivTpFQ9jYemiIg9KwaX_mqUth7TgwYnoK0XB-x0Im4OVXVaca-_E2El4YOagG2nnaZiW6Cxe0qqXW65Mb3T_o0L-UKBN-eXepgBOh6gbxYEoRSqjUpRlEXj51khN10CoW_XwB5Xhv3sjgNtr96qZBQAtDVT2jbydxkmyAsUtwjX2i9vUFiNCxgBuwWbTgMyxeIXGf8oXvHKFpoOPkSs3ZNo0o0eM0gbvCmS6sSadbi9NlD3jMmhdWCqvoElf2-wW8tP0ihrWm08ov5UxJ1wh4MsF4OGUuh1wRSzGa7PTd6JBJ0MptpyfPhxipvxpqOKVDkkxxh5rITZIymmX_B82jVIzp4pe_r-4u-Kgge7AFwFXr7ZzP1lYdoXSd94ocK9WssrMlrc7k5QiHdBOXMJNnEPYwwAq0eNKhvYzELia49fKKaDA7r8M6PFdKWqEt8WV6NXgFWG7-3N2h_ti7J5dJBycV49RZ1wCgi3c3ES8wwyN0Y8qBvQ9lpsgSlZYyE4EqyeyEwhUTEsarxv7xhDQIp4v_1gSy54FbQl_vYzwIpnL0Q=w461-h223-no

First attempt to mint some coins

The traffic along the road was quite heavy. Final stretch of the road, from river Bruna to Vatulonia, where the goods leave the water and are transported by the carts. Iron, hemp, clothes and even horses were streaming towards the capital, bringing in fresh goods from around the world. Especially after the influx of slaves from the Umbrian war, the capital was booming, well on her way of becoming one of the biggest cities in the peninsula.

jTmTMwUg8wP_hAHY0I2raox1XJ0H5PM1iTwFYoRvsIAARvHf6_n-UnE8mXGTIyZLYMJrF613CGPlniGgucBApXACyQfnNOktOqH7vPIv7by-A6DsShaJ1cfntAe3F_5tIOUTrB_eqpEDtSoa_3ChQ7flo-3DYNi-b4V7AV1wHTpdtx7m1ze_KCMkXwKHmNSXkFUoFC9WA_IEdROWZAZ6O2zXizbsvLU7lfE2ETARUya4SFczeTB6Kl2lSBPg2y5aIQIbPMLEBDOdTuLfzQyeIrzHbkBnC-AKeKdqHC-kcVjjY-IcmY72RlSD1mv8RODG8Iu79ppRFsaFLjjhYnHjlaW5oOHv2OTkrdB21bA6qz_N3IssrmZhq9wBOK8nJCu4PeJwkakWBGm_GCD3YZhxDpdD4SrhTv_RhhdrAtWt_rpmkotb0gO7_6aNLuN3QFEPt-Q00gpQZtLK-SC4xack53Pb7eg87I3-j5YZAHKp-06R09AQ0sM_cR1-pCZBiAp2cyZyfRtMOeQepo5uz4NTAA_A9Dq-apJOhIRrVJy3xbnqt-ZQuGg2fAUwabKuOCxqcAqEwwP37zPzN1yH5kZ3HeYh2LtyNiVRZfPJodSLZSx6F1OAFDsSNf7ufh1ZxRZ37MZUtHEIwjZvxW-c1BduYs0LtytzmjMynJlroXUEMN-dp8ONcRUdFmZ-5ULK2OfWQg8qA-Y4iugCcoggAuLUJi-pIanQC1TFUrNfIlCVyw=w1007-h718-no

The trade in League

To me, the porridge that finally arrived seemed more interesting. Simple dish, made from mostly wheat. Tasted plain, but good. Piece of recently baked bread next to it. That soon got my entire attention, nevermind the cartloads of goods, columns of slaves and other indicators of a growing city around me. Simple food, simple company, simple worries. That suited me.

Few tables besides me, a loud argument over “who and how much cheated in dice game” turned into much louder “who can hit harder” one and the entire tavern turned to see outcome. People cheered as the two people arguing exchanged punches. Soon, the ordeal was over, as the loser limped away, penniless and black-eyed. It was then that I made up my mind. How this event became the catalyst, I do not know. I just knew that I had to go. So, I hitched a ride down to the river, picked up a piece of clay, took my stylus from my pouch and wrote my good-byes. Then, I sealed it with my seal, gave a few coppers to nearby street urchin to deliver it and took the road northwards, towards Pupluna.

The night was heavy, I was alone in the road and I felt free. I started dancing. Not the ritual dances of the priests, but something of my very own. My hands and feet were moving instinctively, calling out for the Goddess. The skies darkened even more and then, a lighting struck. As the thunder reached my, another one struck. And another. Then, it started pouring. I danced through the thunderstorm, anticipating lightning, knowing where and when it will strike. The heavy rain cooled me, the thunder was music to my ears and the Goddess danced with me that night, showing her approval and showing that I still was her favorite.

I arrived at the gates of Pupluna with the dawn. To my surprise, the gates were open and outside, the priests were expecting me. “You are a foolish man, Lars,” they told me. “Going alone into the night, like that. But we got a sign from the Goddess that you are coming.” Despite my protests, they carried me to the temple, bathed me, fed me and then, I collapsed of exhaustion.

When I woke up, it was dawn again. Once again, I donned my simple garments and despite the protests of the priests, left the city, wealthy thanks to their bronze mines, behind. I travelled north, to Vada Velatri, as a simple etruscan, and priests did not recognize me, for I grew a beard, bathed a little less and looked like a commoner who is not worth a second look. I enjoyed it. For a few months, I worked at a copper mine there, then moved on. To inland, to Velathera, known for its ample marble supplies. There, I became a quarryman, enjoying the hard labor and blisters on my hands and dreamless sleeps as I collapsed, exhausted.

IoWCm3-FrVBOlvp48H8eEBIl4q66Fbi-hBgab5HSZMPS7VpKrMHeihoGpKhgrMWBJutKQanNfxKQXpYml-uP6Rb9rZ1HbI-QptS_CEr9pK9Kg-rlTfL2hA3suYfnTBsj2wA70Efz_MEgN7oK17J_KxuNwG3qkjcIgD66ygsS4IzwSvXxEBgVt_KVE2u5TpK7G5S4ksHba44sJyNVewqWEcfikKOcAJQHcVXO1eqG9BZeTsT3fPr7MTvURmvUdtBI0zs5vAM7itaE6LkouThHBqKhn2iaFDcwUc7-C9Ve3frrQt-cf7NjBeh4esIDderWAtYZD5Dztiy9pMYrKdWLMgC9JalKZPNDSrvBe_XpMo1TbkMgDRRTQFZvHxMn2yzponE7DWVMoJ6-eru2EqQM8wTB-8ww3OVwddYUM70ZIKoS6h8pNlovOWFZlsJ3clXH1YkADZk79XmIB0uTy_kDyyC2AT1OckVz5Az5A7apbiN8lNlZsRS859a0WboO6jc3bB9YLQ82lPmZK_fn4F_pQKNiJ7WNYdtLxdHfFTYvty5AbBx6Fg-7ItBwUq9e_eeeQoGGNMzRdY3LCRcaGkUPcWaNKGHS_-z3gqfmmh1T3h8uWAMp4pk8CVz4THPjM5lIltV34IgarGVHRs-BBe3jZB4FD4JF0SHuW3cmTiIUdJvvQtQJifwL71VbR1a570XORWiSX1e_ZziT-sYrFmi5jEnvSXl5RSRtDfhVT2E4Ag=w1898-h765-no

Tuscia, in all her glory

Autumn harvest found me in Sena, the most fertile lands of Tuscia. Harvest time meant that there was always a need for some extra hands and I worked there, from early dawn till the sun set. Watched from afar as the priests did their harvest rituals and enjoyed the more simple, more merrier traditions of the common folk. Wine, dance and a girl who has a friendly look in her eyes. What more can a man desire?

As winter arrived, I grew restless again, and moved on. To inland city of Curtun, known for her tanneries (and the small of them). The tanners were a closed group. Mostly due to the fact that they smelled so bad that no-one else wanted to do much business with them. I got a job as a cattle driver, delivering cattle to them from Persna, the easternmost province of Tuscia. The smell did not bother me as much, and once they opened up, they turned out to be really nice people. The winter nights tavern, where cheap wine flew freely and the fire was hot, was a nice change from the winter rains and chilly weather as the oxen slowly moved to their destination. Their laughter was genuine, their joy was real and their sorrows were like sorrows of everyone else.

With the first blooms of spring, I left Curtun behind and travelled to Cleusi, another inland city. The horses there were known throughout Italia as the best breeds. Fast and sturdy, ideal for the light cavalry we favour. I arrived at the day the horses were let to the pastures for the first time, and took part in the celebrations. Then, I spent the entire spring as a herder, taking care of the magnificent beasts, spending my days alone with the horses and fellow herders, sometimes not seeing another person for weeks.

Finally, the road took me to Rusle. Known for their earthenware pots. No, don’t laugh. You cannot make a civilization without pots. Nowhere to store grain, cook your soup or porridge. And the pleasure of looking at a finely crafted and painted cup, and enjoy the fine wine within. The life. Also, the one thing I had no talent with. No skill or patience to decorate the pots, nor patience to make them. Instead, I moved on. Travelled through Ad Novas, in the center of Tuscia, also known for her marble quarries, then to Velathera and Vada Velathri, also known for being the biggest port in the province. From there, I took the ship to Island of Ilva. The iron mines there are the base of Etruscan wealth and controlling them makes Vatluna one of the most important cities in Etruria.

Everywhere in Tuscia, I noticed the subtle hand of Elbio at work. A small change here, a small change there. An official from Vatluna, helping with some local mater. Order from the capital, paid with newly minted coins. Coins that end up in circulation, so everyone gets used to them. Funds or workforce from Vatluna, helping the local fortifications. Elbio was shrewd indeed. Instead of forcing all the change at once, he made baby steps, changing the Etruscan League from loose confederation of cities to something more unified. Cause his changes were small and seemed mostly insignificant, most of the people paid no mind.

mg0vuZ7y2Q0BQDZvvM_qDAqcW5_cc03_X80jLEiSjmnLg_jKFQIxuLhlE2Js5L89iEygxuA5fns3Jg9aO1qKEuTgPQlsngMLGj7g9Y2w1hMOd5D1N9KUFL1Ze3r8R47PoUdR9zoKRS5Uv5bjaZ4seEKpdXQgghVyzRGk1rCEgAHP_yw0-dOMfsbInMuztxVdXy_BQMvSiRKw1YgcyUVntV05eiLqA1Ll1mX3ZXezPuVonUTya8U4bw2u9T7XJuN_fVapHgygsXOIu-gLbQaevbMm1PxSAAAgNBNwa-0BjoYzjGd3nGtAMfcUmE-FXQMR3WMvDrHefxYkCQelB3Cuti_vyq-ROsDfEooXDUYtAscDDQ8YbZA1HC5rZ2KiONNzNNN8fa2b_xuUWPkR1nKa71RvXwm3sIuBUUg0035UFF6oawqXd3syZpT_ZY8mlnXjKwQW5uyP7vsVsqrmDOXi5qkS3SEwBX8K23B9uaTNppWfBkLc9I09IGXdiNXhpl0PX1O-HYyF3mgQDPNyryvWXv_eijIyCdvGNXzXWeCSZUFo6Gd22HX-clt7k0yXTMYmIeJB9W76U6KxOh4c8X1nu3lWK0nEdo1IlDqtDS_qDiH1helpKAQEd5iZV-Z6jVLntxQyl7qwc8fucibkUe5C74yHJZHcOKPAmRvaYanFPRA7qdlRAcd4K92YtVWAs4cxGz4658WZXJd7Im2-DitMOk_HD3V0lNGOyEA1w98dxw=w900-h775-no

Changes to Etruscan society

At the height of the summer, I took the ship again. Not as a passenger. No, the backbreaking job of an oarsman. Laden with heavy iron bars, the heavy wooden oar felt heavy on my hand. But over a year of labor had changed my hands callous, made my back stronger, made my hands and legs more muscular. It was of no effort. The small ship moved steadily in the water and if you looked hard enough, you could see masts of Etruscan warships on the horizon, patrolling for pirates. Fortunately, our journey was uneventful and we soon entered the port of Vatluna.

The newly hired gate guard, taking one glance at me, my simple clothing, my weathered looks, tried to shoo me off. I laughed at him, and when he tried to hit me with a butt of his spear, cursing, I dodged and laughed harder. We had fun for a few minutes, then the noise attracted some servants, who glanced at me and to guard’s great surprise, fell to the dirt before me, kneeling. The poor lad just stood there, dumbfounded, until one of the staff whispered something to him. The look on his face was precious, as it finally dawned on him. As he fell to his knees as well, his anger quickly changed into panic and fear. I just laughed, smiled at the guard and said “Good exercise. We should do it more often.” Then, I turned to the rest of my household and told them, “I’m home.” And I was bathed, the dirt I had gathered during this year was scraped off, my beard was shaved and I was anointed with precious oils.

Just in time too, for soon, Elbio rushed in, his kids in tow. He hugged me like a bear and told me: “I missed you, my restless friend Lars.”

cDkc9MpbS9xmW2RyxH_RnfzjXsssHaf7CNSjV6_QOphBe0q3BI4Kmg6IKcKssaGGwq-r_w0pGSgvG3cXTJc7oSQ55gMQmwlv0cjCoPIhkbDe9wY9_DRX-mngzCpFDIehVG_HF0z5AA4sp01uvvGNc27qV8PY_SiTYGgCT_IHtJ-gv1ceaW1-7w-uQvJRY5SjbK6bZdugpIVyvdMGM5a6Ul9mM0UZTw6oW2lLxa0sWDEVCZ9mWb-JjCeORmrFG9LgOxHM2k1eJ3Rolhp2aR88TsjCFAcOF-c5M4j4wFFpZ7JNKQ8U4G2snIQQFWtSj0_1hmQ6vc5DnRgc2F8-ZXSPOfvXvcjbDUFDIGgL3hra_uRXsBB5SJXQcYpbSQqiU_eORoZvNbahRVKYoFJIkuT-oabFohR053f2bQlYPzF1mxsQ885W6h0lE_ppb1JgWEpaySn5-AvOrccUMfMCUc1O036DSXQwKvT6FcTpXmloffFgcQYzZdq-9YSE640Y68poOmnloIi5QR5MLnd1LBuDsBVCaKTWBgg5TXK4JAizL1HSTck61R4gZYyVGzsskQ8DOt6X3-NgTeyiI_hHsoWvZk3tnwFOuSUd8MAVw3b_a8HhRQ3se7khZiVzextGL0V0ar6PAY-YjToKvMrQ9vn7Q5d9xjhEC_M13wJyYN-_A6cY6eqO-xIuWMYw2vi7Mrjb0LQQqCkBdABk64hj2VCOrU9uiMgYqMoLQcvwuFWTHg=w1722-h429-no

Elbio, now at the age of 32.

And I was home again.

Just passing time, waiting for manpower to recover and AE to go down and build up the economy and science. Fortress near the Roman border, some citizen buildings in capital, mine in Ilva. I like peace. And hope you liked the way i presented it :)

Glad to see you back @hjarg :)

Stones lie... Pithy, and of course very true -- and sometimes, even when the stone itself doesn't lie (much), those who read it may try to make it lie on their behalf.

Licine's role in this war seems to be too great for his absence in Elbio's accounts to be accidental. I wonder if he was, perhaps, "erased" after falling out with Elbio and his cohorts later on?

Glad to be back. :)
And good point. Everyone lies. And everything lies.

As for Licine. I will neither confirm or deny the the potential relationship between Licine and Elbio :D

Good logic behind the start, and indeed I'm pleasantly surprised to see this again. Glad to hear the Cicero update improved the game for you.

Thanks! :) And well, the improvements on Cicero are good. Still, my biggest gripe- keeping me informed of matters of importance and not spamming me with every war in India is kind of still in the need for work. But less mana is good :)

Haha, a lovely way to treat the restart! :D Very glad to see you back in the saddle. Imperator's AARs have been few and far between and I think the game deserves more.

Not that I complain about the lack of competition :D
Though yes, Imperator could use some more writing. But somehow, i think that youtube killed the aar star. :(
I'm glad to be back in the saddle though.

Welcome back! I do like the manner of the restart, it flows with the ongoing story well, and provides an interesting point when it comes to studying history - can you trust what is written?

Hey, thanks! :)
And back in the days when I was studying history, several of my professors made very clear that the answer to that question is "never".

Nice to see your back.

Dishonest stones - what ever will the dastardly foe think of next? :D

Glad to be back.
And well, magnanimous marble sounds... dastardly :p

Nice to see this back!

Hmm, so dishonesty is prevalent here. It’ll also be hard to trust later stones with this new info...

You know, there is actually a very good idea for an AAR. One where what you see in screenshots and what you read differs considerably. Hmmm... :)

It lives ... again!

Long live resurrection! :D

Very interesting. Glad to see you back.

Thanks on both accounts :)

That's a very clever way to do a restart.

Oh yes, i'm mighty proud of that myself as well :) Thanks!

You know, this reminded me a little of a travelogue account by, iirc, Horace. All very laid back and not overly serious

Beautiful representation of the period of peace. Lars has quite the tale to share with Elbio.

The Council of 462
The Council of 462

In June, the weather was early Italian summer. Pleasantly warm, not so hot you have to hide between cold stone walls. The sun was gentle, the breeze was mind, the sky was blue and the war council was in session, sitting outside on benches next to Elbio’s country villa, enjoying the shade and wine.

The matters they talked though were grim, starkly contrasting with the summer paradise. Whatever the result today, it would end up with man dying, homes burning, people being carried off to slavery and endless misery for everyone. But that is the way of the world. Strong prey upon the weak and you have only got to hope and ensure that you are the strong one.

anGf9t3WtpO-nUps3pbr9OCmU8djgdNLV1l5f3wXzR7iJ9xJWsrNlAmklWZ8aZ6Qv5EZjvbV_szB3daAPBgzXmLkcHXnBX2fSWGslMg_YDSx1EtaTLhKqC5e3-nb07LOiIFl-s7gXQJOfLV39ErXjMiNdzlEti-A3sojh7LL6OyKMxBZIUR1wltD191o51dKB6Yop2o4h3lDFz5G2J_fhQaAgY-0mLveaNR-gl4SzyDS_LwYvkEq0OKjUP6t7Q8ekksvc-bWu_Q4ciZTWp8MAmbWvj1Zd0KqDdh-TjYi0V9ymecIvEzfZy0z9CT1w5MHrSqwsQASklqPD2ovO2nQOPD1EuT7OYhY6-GZe5ym0JgrfpbHVxLEq8rFZKlt0kXyyayDIJmqTeB3T8D4YcPCYix6eXDM0XOTlVFYFR7SP54C1_gBbyjBJaUIWBj0iKkhrEdNcj2h_tNoH1Og8aXfzajwCPNA-lLniZcFxc9m9pVmtD8RHWWmkATsquV0DoF7GfixxQDIS-on1logpW0XowWrRGybw-PtFyIMhV8h-xUxBSEqRdNQUNU0hEStOe9WWoWZuBpqtar_Ql2LJJLWNT34z5wknEkgMxb2hby86xJzHjtjHbLths1g87xFiJ-9xSQpwsvfswoNFdduBMgjMH8OL924zijZVvV0RumskB0kPxcdgmlvYJTxWXRFVY3YS_U9yIVzlFGHr5PrTZaTUgHQyDotmSHayJHtvNrG=w1037-h709-no

Whom shall we attack today?

Tarchi Fapi was the first to open his mouth: “What about Frentania?”

He gained suspicious looks from the rest of the council: “What about it?”

“Well, they are a good target, we already have the city of Aternum. Why not take the rest of the province...”

“You do remember that they also happen to be feudatory of Rome?” Elbio enquired.

“Oh,” said Tarchi. “Right.”

“I have been meaning to ask though- can we end our problems with our not so friendly southern neighbour? Can we beat Rome?” Elbio asked.

The thought was not as shocking as it was a decade ago. Pretty much everyone here had most likely played with the idea. Can the fledgling Etruscan League turn at her bigger enemy, the republic down south?

It was Licine who opened his mouth first. “Rome? Yes, we could win against Rome,” he said, adding “It would be a tough campaign, exhausting our manpower and stretching our will to fight really thin, but we could do it.”

“But?” asked Elbio.

Cnaive laughed. “There is always a but, right? And this time, this appears to be quite the big but”

Licine just nodded and then, added. “We can beat the Romans. We cannot beat Rome and the entire South Italia.”’

“After all, Rome is allied with them damn Samnites whom we swore to protect against Rome,” Cnaive intercepted. “Plus, the tribes of Apulia and Bruttia..”

“Not to mention them being overlord of the said Frentania, plus Pelignia, Nuceria, Marsia and the newest addition- tribe of Lucania.” Licine added.

“Apart from the Greek cities in Magna Graecia, all of Italia south of us is either Rome, allied to Rome or bending their knee to Rome.” Cnaive concluded.

“With Messapia being an exception to the rule,” Licine added.

G3S5SwfYevEu6303NixEpMAPImZwX5oBn5OFJGuwuioNq62AhqytOphHLuW5LSjZ6ZhS3ltyaRn_Karra1EA9_2IUv1Yp8zoX4IZ7DTBJkpZyNztwoOeeYW_xMBAujh91op2Gn5lEMsM9fuUDDVXiqDh1MfQgXT-hiHs6WLdKj7q3TtbTm8cjjr8hMxlmtcZv97ejJLkIwmMu_Mwc5Eh8Yl9O_MjnUZsA82aj20hhQmNWaBT4DMM5Vg6FPSbWPF1uWq9jQuz2QfqV8c5VfDC4ujAFUvScZbN9L0w9c4A_swa8nA5kgbH3gMvLQs_0qW76I-oe_jIoiExi-4EiBNRAOjDl-8JDBixrdLrK-fYmYtJA6IlvSTgj1K2_aTyVCXDmFbc3h1O-ZeXzwV4ZnU4YYjj2cYNn5QZxYCEmaa9vu7BidXVYWwTbBoY3la0RME4VFLJwd1pHhcUeS4lZ1k5z0WsunogNgrZBToUCjZaxOnDlHxQPDmmn66dQSAo0vmxR4qftN-kpw79Ed-JB2S4yHTbvTD07AWE9nE7IfIf3aqSSDYwDsqcCm-irof5w1uDFyv1yLM9JbYHWRQVNU6S0xCuvV5NaczE-dSDTAG8HR21KaY14qqJuGlUkliCVihozIjTjVuMYaAnDTslkfPET6IgdukdXYekO3Fz4duvl6q_ndTZv1cVVcHbLFTq1vyeOAShwSwPlVjSn-AszApKDoH7ZGXx0vaLK7f54TnK=w1173-h1070-no

Allies and tributaries of Rome

“That is more of a gamble then i’m willing to take,” Elbio mumbled, half to himself. "Even though they seem to be kind of busy with Delmatia across the Adriatic."

Then, he looked up and said “No." After a slight pause, he added. "Not yet."

“No,” echoed Licine Ceie and Cnaive Ninie. “No-no-no”

“Oh well,” Tarchi grumbled. “I hope you have better ideas!”

“Senonia,” said Licine. “They are allied with the Anconans and conquering them would mean we get ports to both Picentium and Ariminium. Economic benefits from trade, plus Ancona is rich.”

“No,” it was Tarchi’s turn to shake his head. “I don’t like the territory there. Too defended. Fort in Ancona, in Sena right next to it; in Ravna and also the Boii have one in Bononia. And in Mutina, next to that. We’d be pressed between the mountains and forts, with no room to maneuver...”

n0rpL5KQI4juF8H9QgtxfEhI4LL38xCFggQ9FhUaNnFpsgmmoyqGI4lTzib0eDCAE7qsJRb_evY61Q1iL7tQLdJBjD3x9BpHKcm3pURZSzDTZEga5ECcMgsByIf9i987iZpxor8nZnPVmpgZnsrvihwGosDehBRy27E1COkJEiEzbd3tuQlspBQCD5U8T-1AoGVuSjkjSgYuVh9ldgFBQ8a_SRidd7wR9KE7SRQS11oVzj8nJzg56ijDpZQZfuFV-mqGNhUsfieoI83O391rwyWqUjLiGwdgT6FXW3waWZZdWCuPx-5hBaB6vCQTRYKn3HCAqTkDfEwFbbb0SmhQ9ZSJcfR8SNxOkj3VXqdpYJuokiEZ19zZeDjm1d0Usp-hPk1c-aMbR0Rcwz0E-kHtsq2qUTaj5TuUFrQgI7w2JvEN7RQJh2czfLpV9PW06284IbQ7vTQnuvGo9lD45y9RGb5kv8buMjUeNQSu--lq23lK5pL9VsMkvfNzdI-XHgpl3uTfyPHZR5xbx3xx0VJnijYTKJA6xE-t9zASNWE9IN9Rf-o-J8MEvsAC9q4Sfx2THUZGHm0lnkDBKtIeuivqkdzl5p14nmGv2Ohm_dSOrhoObZIzjyCmRNiKN1IFFsItUOtonP-2Hq1lnAjvGTs4YuXPgYBEgBuBt-e239eccIPQAR4NwJXvhAwyI6cwWq7zY_CEoihfqxmjXSouI06j4SG8BoSppJjrn9NpA-qP=w1323-h1075-no

Senonia and her allies are indeed well-fortified

Cnaive shook his head as well.: “It is not the forts that are bothering me that much, though they can be a problem too, true. But they are bloody celts. They worship different gods. They are barbarians, for Turms’s sake. We will have a hell of a time ruling over them, and as if we did not have enough problems with Corsicans already.”

“Agreed,” said Tarchi. “I don’t want to fur-clad smelling barbarians in my country!”

“Unless they are here as slaves,” pointed Licine.

“Well, yes, naturally,” admitted Tarchi.

“We will capture some, you know. Fur-clad females, wild and feisty,” Licine continued. “And they can be bathed, it will not kill them!”

“Hmm,” said Tarchi. “Perhaps the forts are not as bad as I initially thought...” After a slight moment, his eyes got a bit dreamy and he added “Mmmm”

“Back to the matter- Senonia. What do you think?” Elbio interrupted.

“No,” said Cnaive.

“I’ll have to think about it,” said Tarchi. “What do you have in store, Cnaive?”

“Genuatia,” he replied. “Perfect. Nicely up north, allied with Ingaunia and Ivatia, of whom neither are too strong. This will not be a walk in the part, but pretty much similar.”

-DEeBYMKzH7KKIuUK_t1exA6bXaOc6SJkqMCAvZMsZyJHYM9PMT6Y56BYLMtoHP69vbf12AoB-VWic6j2NqXmIpPwn71zsZECKEBxpT_AQ8J4EzRVTaCip_9lO46-eGlqj-41paAlV-AOtUZaiGZICGnedW3nuKaXbxRvG2DwY_Uqxbvzim5Ap6Bk0rosnWZj4E05bv7PUfoBANlArdAvyukFK2HqEWTk2jMZaDkMFvHN_9nfNwMYufyTZMhN__rowICYFHf5Z6ZxyItEWSQ7Q0jGB-R-ioMhEzK0-C93V1zp2paMa-oIYpS9cxlX2HiIHBbbHsRbdmbYQEa7xQQRlhn927m2yOnWgq_y6iXXxnCE-MrOFOU7k_beHY7rUAXTFGC78T1__evI7qoIDcKmBrE-PHNd4ozSyfB-ZQsqwvwcepynbe9SD28WmcGDu_VkxEhi3MPzPTNnOVWijy93mdPZCx_Gpwb9kNcucJDX3YdPK90Febv-9csAXj9sh6GvtulreHG8BiJcFdadgPwKb3iqqpi5RYvU5s-1o9hVQWvJ8qCaE_NGqnMEyN02Cf-2lroYMDEXZiHiNm1Z0WTo1m0PhPoJKK0SfjsONrCTCMfksjtihSvgps0Oc5wk7JonNuEapa3W8QuSN_PyzlJKg7TaNVTKnuCD81jJ4mC478cUXEZW8GK3ryH8G98KWiiz6Q-8m7X3G4tIrJpOUtH4xpZVFAzjmK8c8_qh91B=w798-h615-no

Genuatia, with her two allies

“The land is poor though,” Licine pointed out. “No cities, just settlements. Would take decades to get set up to our standards.”

“If that is the case, what better time to start than now?” Cnaive was definitely not at a loss of words. “We’d finish sooner...”

“It would drag our borders to be a bit too long though,” said Tarchi. “We’d need about three fortresses to cover all the entrances and block even wilder barbarians in...”

“While with Senonia, we can achieve the opposite. Fortress in Ravna will block everyone who tries to walk to civilized parts of our peninsula with burning desire to loot and pillage...” added Licine. “We can get rid of some forts down south, even.”

Elbio had been mostly a quiet listener thus far, judging options silently while the warchiefs argued between themselves. This was his second war council, and Etruria was stronger then ever before. Though it has been more than a decade since the first, it was still a bit daunting. He had a deciding vote, and how he rolled the dice affects the fate of nations. Humbling experience, but also, kind of exhilarating.

To be honest, the choices were that simple. Rome and her friends in south, Senonia and Genuatia in north. Or an invasion somewhere either across the Adriatic, as Rome was currently trying and apparently failing to achieve.

Finally, he opened his mouth and said: “Senonia. We need these ports, and fortified Ravna will indeed block us from the dangers of the barbarians.”

With that, the time for words was over. Now, it was time to let the spears do the talking.

Well, i was going to write about war. Got a bit carried away with the war council so that kinda grew into an episode on it's own right. Gives a nice overview of the lands surrounding the Etruscan League though. And Rome really has most of the South Italia on her beck and call. The bastards.

Loved it. :)

What can I say but thank you :)

You know, this reminded me a little of a travelogue account by, iirc, Horace. All very laid back and not overly serious

Wow, i'm being compared to true classic! Thanks so many!

Beautiful representation of the period of peace. Lars has quite the tale to share with Elbio.

Thanks. :) And with a snip of the finger, almost a decade had passed. :p

As long as Rome doesn't get too powerful in the mean time, it sounds like a good idea. :)

I agree with the logic to not attack Rome now. Even if you won, you'd be all but doomed if anyone else noticed how weakened your were afterwards.

Yes, one has to look down south and see what the dastardly Romans are doing.

Between the Mountains and the Sea
Between the Mountains and the Sea

“The war with Senonia was a sordid affair,” said Massimo, while leading me through the narrow streets of Vatulonia.

Instead of listening, I looked around as we passed the small city. “What happened?”, I inquired.

“Eh?” Massimo asked, lost in his own train of thought.

“The city,” I asked. “It was the crown jewel of the Etruscans after all. Now, look at it...” I pointed the small houses, narrow streets, overall smallness of the city. “Less then thousand people live here, right? It is more of a village then a city...”

Massimo’s face took a pained look. “Barbarians. Several times. Then Christianity. Then more barbarians. Between 7th and 8th Century, records say that this place was abandoned at all. Then more Christians, with sledgehammers. Then, people moved back in and there just happened to be construction material readily available.”

He sighed. “I understand you’d like to know about the fall of Etruscans, but let us drop it for now. I’d much prefer talk of the rise of Etruscans.”

With that, we actually arrived at the hotel. Imaginatively named “Hotel Vatluna”, it was a small, but cozy. Wink from Massimo, followed by slight nod from the receptionist, got me a surprisingly good price as well.

“Go, freshen yourself up,” said Massimo. “I’ll await you at the restaurant.”

That I did. The shower was just what I needed, though I had to don the same dusty and sweaty clothes. After all, my bags were still in my car, not so conveniently parked few kilometers downhill, at the gas station. Still, better then nothing.

The view from the restaurant was breathtaking. Situated at the edge of the city, incidentally also meaning at the edge of the hill, and the view down to the valley was uncanny. Massimo was already waiting for me, and his glass of wine was already half-full. He beckoned me to sit as well and poured some of the sweet red nectar to me as well. Then, he pointed at the view and said: “You know, Elbio had the same view.”

mSd3Y3BOCZJpuzhMfkwv-VUNwbVMBw-fWmZ1galcXtv6I9lbg5PZxjDdFSONQ2hLmaVzHyq71N8tjkwZr9FG9pqAHrn9UJqvL2weUYD4AgOqb62vmFtnPUARASCWbGXkcpIcPdSsH75cLNzULUBH63WGwhNMoc69Z129lgT2asESP3GPp5jQSaxCPWdlf9Sj66E38E3bQgq5BGQ73SqOOkk1YblgzPUYLsbDRW3PizbkwoM4lpfMSKeftaOCpeQUBk0v9xN2llybPLe8-fUP_bRHPwnHsRKQl0k0TXPKzTd8jY2qpxnq_8-9jLE8sxzQtJg18OqLm4XC0zBITg-_bmAegqHaofFSPHaXYxelrv0o_PAIkTyEcj3tdL9Tnf95XvRKHgioAazwrMqpv9D4C5Hj5CgnGqZiX9qDgFxQq41aM3Al-13xIGald1SuLJRiR6vsCjdD6DuUyo8u3Gv0rEmdVid8Oqt_oZ40SUO2INEaS2rZMvHPVmq_80ZDS-4WysWxlEIpkxzErHpLho_20vUh21VW0TIMvZXxqYYXl1OX8fFIypNcrNXY0YrrNwg8o04xkmKzy0UhOy-lgYmnpjoBE0bs2M9QgBmpDBVyNernO0HvM49yHTHG6dsU8Vb_QkrMuRbzeY0e0-vv4QSNa3vilGT8xmx_J6Ydm1VjK_paG4EkJs_4SQiSzQP0jUXdXQ9cRN8fXDr20aeHXenbSiYYDyitdNoFexHPtN4T=s1080-no

View from Hotel Vatluna

I raised my eyebrows as he continued: “This hotel is located in what we believe was the location of Elbio’s palace.”

I gazed at the serene rural scene and added: “I imagine it was a bit busier back then”

Massimo nodded. “Much more city in the valley below. At the time of Senonian war, Vatluna was already becoming quite a city. Population was estimated to be over 30 000, first libraries and academies built. The biggest, richest, most powerful Etruscan city.”

It was his turn to gaze down to the valley. He sighed. “Must have been truly amazing sight”.

“So, Senonian war,” I said. “How did that go?”

Massimo chuckled: “According to Elbio and his deceptive stones, it was a simple affair, where brave Etruscans defeated the enemy, who were four times the number of Etruscans with ease, looted their homes, enslaved their families and forced the survivors to bend the knee to the mighty Elbio.”

“And what does that Cicero fellow say about it?”

“The war started in September 462. It started with two Etruscan armies, 17 000 men under Elbio and 15 000 under joint command of three warchiefs, marching to Armina, where the main force of the Senoni was stationed. It was indeed 3:1 affair, but the Etruscans had the advantage. The enemy losses were not that high though, and they pulled back in an orderly manner...”

“So, it was Etruscans versus Senonians?” I asked.

“No, Etruscan League and Frinitatia against Senonina, Boi and Anconans,” replied Massimo, “Though the Frinitiatia part is conveniently forgotten by most of the stones.”

DPIM3hORzbCYgyhGRotKAFcD_K4_vNIMH-iJ0RSP7F5WYcwvKCSIpAx02Ya-SgakxdpIjB4vn-NUk6VlLrWNJLqj4B4Ex15jCmpSXb6NMdEvtmg2s2IumhT-eCbB_dveni6y8xWhSu9dtnYYFwWzCsKFoahdigxEANiP0bP_6LWjBzGDU6P0_IlQ2XE3UlHgvq0KHDP_h_3qzq3rzPKx-VfFfb3I85lmbod3-rTeH2YbBZ183DFW_iushRVlqk0oMJ21pR2nf9ABOseQ1-lRc5cnYyCcmlEc9xe_llN2QwYBRLlKIGyEJdQKPE6a626C8_C57P7BdUapmc-dqCICevKBPggQy0ngc276joxpGaqpHeom9qbHHT6wGD6ut39LSjKKDGv--onil8pWX-brb2VTNR6sKYPmNCpD7WKZ3bu6I5gdXt3prMhAfohPSrGG5MihndANuwGsT-ENCGIitg_W9nivcdUPt_Ye63DNtT50dcn4lljdGSlv3E5W3vSkSGNP0wAM2I38U1in6HdTP81XnhcQoLDT2RvPLQKgkwB7-RB8BFESLUbgzxzBpNgv0wi2G4EuwFOCIScoTM8OD22gD2zr5xAL2imaMQhZuH942WNS3GMzhLhwaN4fZY9EaQvChula3igJ81GzSvD03D_OiQGnjX3HZu_XVWch8ptwBCtShEHA9pXfGwvmQK0yq90YhksBD2ylb3cc0C5vkGkHEccqlejv44mU9GHs=w714-h746-no

Let the fun begin!

“Anconan forces met the Ertuscans in Sena a month later, and despite Elbio having force nearly twice the size, they only managed to graze the enemies. Even though the stones try to play it as victory, it really wasn’t. Not in both cases- the enemy armies were largely undamaged and both fell back to the protection of the Boii lands. Meaning that all the enemies were now nicely gathered up. At the same time, Etruscans put the Ancona under siege, while Frinitiatia besieged Sena.

ZS2YO-4r_4WFF-xVz68cegWaKLgLdETjcQmtRmPJ9jwBUFNXxl2Fid6fPN_nCtvohH3KO8VcV1C5Mbw-XTUMe69YpBTbaRD9EOtbQLl1Hznj1uv-cpeGhsZIe2aFnqOiHnyAZq6X_g2ODK7Qi5-yMlDEwQfy53aMMEFqnw4dU3pRJWRPwNaUh3366nav3rnhNO26HAJ_rj8H6kmYBa_3_uykVOJU0HsTg_cy5-UF7jGG6KiLdKhMyn9j3hwhFg2jpeboHwHoapdRLBDNEujrpZ23vh1pNBETvjJuE4KXur63uYTozrZVS7_Vw4yJKHmn8onxBqxVVMJacA5zL557McVZ3SVf2aGyoa4YLBT84sESYu3sXhXUYfAJZyzEGqYrSPKbQ0t3wGMxVFRtoI8F5Ecf4vt2aMfmP9tL0YcT9h5UIzmq6V05oz7HZmSBfwO641NOyrNdxA6Qw_GErelT4hlDLyOSaIkjCzuqTJ6B9yXO9xvmEnUSsb_G6wzBU2e9gRLHJmN0zb3-Lws7txRYEw3KHqEVdeNkmWLE3TcvEjL6NxofVDE5t2Emx4QdtDwILD30DUnH1A55VSV3Ch-zHO9I_eSv1h4X1In4YDYztqmYH1A99oxBa4dUR9ZqpDoKRSMsAOuZ8mpxnzzQ7A2956VGf1O4zT5Z_CcClwafKAiUwJ50jq0wCFSsfdiwoSmkyUytX7FKZ8p_ZjHvVEiwPFYhK2F2jDvAobcSk_Kz=w1134-h877-no

First battle of the war

The, the Boi came. Came with intent. They sneaked past Etruscan forces, though Elbio managed to get their rear guard.

The enemy penetrated Tuscia and were caught only in Persna. Half-busy with looting the hapless populace, Elbio descended upon them like a hawk. And managed to force them back, leaving a fifth of their troops in the field.

XVHchZMpE5jZuEoFJez4uRVAIf78mlNBqJVZoHLtFOcCs9UFj86SZiRiX6STLVNbcZv7ef-kx4FhUtj0TcK8P6ffv2M2iDushs_-1dKcJn5xyee2FKrAQtBadplXonHJv-b8kVdTTApJ2sTcxcvC0xwH2Bj5O8AV7DHd0NMEWRi0h1umIV1Y5FeTebm4N3FQ5tuPwS7tvGWKPXr5jLtY9xpDPDdRZP7epwagAkWdTZq5nBt2v45R0eiajdWtmFEBnudyqtvuKC3TmlWbb1ViD0_qpFv4qHd8SvJtts7GRjqcXkuRGvTgJrMhxPNU3h4HBv8m0G_26PnRnwhQFy2Bb5eKJxJl_SOTW0JevxaFTQveiqXqDxmHCVHwTTmI5KhDD-59TV92tUtnuL_BHu3IBpoWiZ_6AtCpYp8N8QnTY1qqQEWLM00OXG5XhtNRf2p3xI-RkrsWI6VrQm8O-LCxI6FUVlZ7WKXj4HKyZ_fzWttlmAo_ytErhhGiphXCzANQDRmHOpvQvAq5ZPAxRgEfwufVcVzqa5Cep13l3wq7O2YHd6ERzDkb7S1MOHlA2t3JbuyFhN5L15Dr-5W6s6cASSV2vn-QRoK1h0POxRirjYxtx-1OZL9i4HgJgeG7uiBYW7Rl78yg4YDWc1Mq9h0BNUQPk1nvMmFeum-2UpBGYwmLXE1C-KPUYLT84eU9lemHa5LfmHH-SUpcoECnexYbeui2KLigJVx3e3QY5_bU=w1641-h795-no

Oh boi, the bois are coming

It was during that time Elbio changed the setup of their troops. Following the Roman way, with heavily armed veteran troops called the principes making the core of the army. Heavy infantry was quickly on their way of becoming the backbone of the Etrurian army.

qLc2fYElfZF4goAqgBA90GH-ZSZuTUtxNxGLI4uQmY0_DvJbywRc7aT7ZcqN3SfK0hHGDbnIcrTPy9ZY7B0yUAltj2gg23n6kYVbLuyN5gqAk0edKAbpn3gvsPXZi-KnsP0mgy2fO9uX0wFKZuKZBnB0k5FSrMOKHpzg6HlWT6a-J4qKsz6qb6uLxTbZfpylbpSQt-vOnOFjwxmntoZKH0ww6eqPWT2I7rU8tZU7Wd7uR7_TD7_CjVfPJtGGyGfmC2txV9etjNuu498wl9N4F_tbUU5KuuKTZjuD2sdzu6LmvP51RvcnYA6_eDowl9joKGwS5LyrDqQz8bVcM5W0OIbEIhsisUvacb6l_eQV2gxKbHGI_Wo8N2gf1cloxUT0yiLHkyWNBr5Ytq_pe-EFeUJYutL5E4oZrwiGy2oEr4p8mYxLXaw_jcoP8MytHMHb3JxCW8J2_4kZSmznhnawYCmQgwilnG5Evi3fICTp1zOEA--WLXJEmJgVr3ekhQHF1QybuNU8e_vbRXGwGY9hcuoDkus4EhXg-2OdTC_r4-gDOCo8b69JmTRupVFt1882UvEgw24lDFaJm5gyNfiEsXTu-FM3qYmLo90nVonFmi8FS61r6jQC0FDs3tC0X6TF6PixgJ5u5JSswY1avpeZOETuj4C33ohMIk_nnOMkBbsz1ry7vQwuWrEeUPsjaz1TCRUfGeQi373rJddP3gYfnTWRC8vyTM-X7uRIMeZu=w610-h629-no

Principes. The Etruscan kinds.

The Boi were but a distraction though. They were meant to lure Elbio inland, while Senonians and Boi marched to relieve Sena. With no Etruscan relief forces around, the Frinitati were hit by Senonian force. Elbio marched to the rescue, while Licine stayed put, besieging Ancona. The result- Frinitati fled, abandoning the siege. Senoni managed to send in supplies, relieving the dwindling food of the fortress. Then, Elbio hit, forcing the enemy to retreat. But he was a bit too late. The siege had been disrupted.

WXuwf73n7fH1JV6tCR3vOo118GMsnN01mkdlD2VuqHRm10l1Ff3XUaXKHYuzV7TBU2xIWtWfrr-pg9Ei33U__Q9Zar5cEDeIhuYDA4SUuhyHFudBnovS92Hl8KsD8NEOKrmAswajGc5yBGK9ILBBdNWUS_JUQXkykGWqiBqVUgbDUaJQz7SIPHay4VNaHabt4NKrS08WB-ADAGwMos4gzLKyAN6BDPkcp24WAVRFXVFzQPRWJnXnGWL0zD-Uh1t8pjMPke8LvRunDXLVppb3EDaMVyLINZdru_Yu-Vr-81R0tdg2ANRljb4rsaKERlIaTjIlqY2KVuHz3n_6uVrr1vjMdz1kjlojcq_Mz_qSrWeNAxAFKtySFMf-GsDcY8IvUyMDP9-fgUw1cTQHLR0TB4iy3vtsd4X7-39qMTFwZQQTf3-f7E48NypAYyzWGO0JAVx3H34t0Ju3j7o-kupuuDZdF5V3QAmu1H7S4Jq-nPJabrnjqY-NDfuFzYpY-ywFpfkBejNkxtRebMvJIsfERwRWy-2t7DM9TXpkqSZ5I85PuwB4g5BEdMkF0oG0b24TiYMPgHmkQF99YhVVPKXAfxnI5wN44B-nNwQ2eKT4gPV-1bbnDQheR-1l8hYh0bv4CHfbzuQcWmdDzuTCwTA2KOyZPySGLZnHooSOkawBlwRV8lYC5FQrkHKmTaURN3ZYPo2L33oUfnzOrY_lcHPNfONnINH5D5Xe4V4BtlLX=w1506-h943-no

Just a bit too late...

Fortunately for Tuscans, the siege of Ancona ended a few weeks later. With some citizens captures and slaves and sent to Vatluna, Licine marched north to start the siege of Sena, while Elbio took on the allies in Ravna, winning yet another minor victory. Then, he marched all the way to Tuscia, where yet another small Boi army had sneaked past and entered Etruria proper.

SctnFuHTN9f_WL9Ox4FSMQFg_s-odhHRQXxWYyimHfAuw_iStw51813IfE-t0UR9u2_u44U67MZh4zUZ9Z9JD28SMUU5dlQedwOGCMWvR264rs9i7ayeIH9rjLBUhI74SrqtrqyuUqGwmkgs1kaRXzotOQu7aFbHy_m1BAj53msBgDHLZq5uqfgRauh3So3YS28Y_W1tcrRHOsLXDJDF8yPFWFvZl5rmcJSTotZq1nJ0ONblZAo2tuOSlxF8eRtQA3X-GG0oZgVei8i8asp6EEMu_NdtNFCvRAQiHpTza2yYHPzQsFNhyDPlUGvjRdB4DCsdlNGGe0Xe8PUVhcdpINQTDPxbJrW8Ds7yOMS_GCt0QkyOxiTEomODPWUOAo8xedel85qyGlvfnn-4kyKOsjwQqLpR5D52yzRvN_5GJSYGh-bKfBOKWYZ9EngSVlUyR0wfgG7kFkXD7qgS4wt6nDjDEz27Ob0Mui3uXRjOG4QDJlEV6DPXVswssGRzsQvA2QOkUTl1cYJpifAVUjzCKF6OTtKnvRum2WCAWlB2NAAPkfvSNniYahg55Ei3WA9SSlEvP42cK2V_NAB_pWr5D7JpxmZmgHjCXUsN-bEWNc3wZhhmGkBn3liBbv87QhOe5ECLmDLuaFxvai_BY56L86egGBE0sjaTjKPgg-nDDaWsAx6tLrnbKmYkyrN1-a8GLJzfHcYHU-P-vZ-yaflTIsMA5gmsjotgztHLgjva=w1601-h983-no

Yet another minor victory

The siege of Sena ended in December 464, after nearly 450 days. And to think, it was almost ready to fall when the enemy attacked Frinitati... Followed by Elbio taking Ravna in February 465.

By then, the northern neighbours of Boi smelled blood. Lingonia, just north of Senonia and Boi, also attacked the poor Senoni. Not that there was much Senonia left to attack, so they took on Boi. The Etruscans had disrupted a precious status quo on the north, leaving one tribe weakened. Like sharks, the others were not above taking the advantage and gaining some power for themselves.

v_3Puz6kWoTX3XSJLJbULjk3tAldSqxQWAifItTOtc-sqyq_cPD8ut_NFzQ30FlEnNft8szkqSbdDRemdqiwe_bFjMsgbCWYXPAsGkUDzQXSlNIkM3g-MGiX6-eJdg9Uq_LgQh5r9ortyxBK2hIOYTgbUzMJP2DbUSYgidr_I07Dm8fAZRuk_vovP9nGrOeroufi2hwUuVsl2wQjzEoP4U4ELua_kXWXYvO8Wu7CGstfdx6HcBXvNV6suKB9-l9c1sU-8WfrQSrE79H2ALLFvyIbJSlDaV8ynzuKy18Pz4FK6xjnArw-X93kTYhkjXfv9ZUFcRLRwMmMm63ywaNlSUHis1KaCjBr6AnCHDik5nivX7MxVJygAJchkQvO2aMIAO_RENiPolwr1k_QBcIG_UYu4GkgRZNE9beQARDOeirsQYxWv7TYKqOvqe7DNkAehE63PytI3Qmod2TZZxEPSx6UWZ-URb1FFUtdJESSsas7Sj_FMd0Ey8kNptcgWfH_QnJiFtHKT-tG6x9UPQeajWpTZS_8GL-e4e4XHNaxCfB1QmxU2jFywwjQP-ZUMwY7Kiz8J1h67kB1Sl7z63Z5QUAviCLclymMJfGC3AhEzaeYPmpbwGA630usaamuq4Q5syiJlMVC3h4srcNA74E7my4ReGZHk7A7Ly_lPE3tbUp1351e1qFGSxq_s9VY5SzyxQ5nXCmYOKx_PhegO7EKAedjlB6RfXDPN5Y4brke=w1720-h902-no

With neighbors like these...

The war was almost over. Emphasis on almost. The army of Licine had marched north, to Faventia. The last province of the Senoni. And as usual, they got careless. Already confident in their victory, they spent what armies do at times like this- looting and pillaging the countryside. Marked by burning villages and screaming Senoni, not proper patrols and such. So, when the final attempt of the enemy to attack came, they were caught with their pants down. Some of the soldiers, literally. The war had taken her toll and almost nearly 10 000 soldiers of Licine were caught by enemy nearly twice their size. Elbio, as soon as he heard the news, march to help, but it was Licine who saved the day. Gathering his heavy infantry around him, they held waves of enemies back while the enemy came, relentlessly, though unorganized. Superior morale of the Etruscans held them back, until Elbio arrived and forced the enemy to retreat. Licine the Victor, the Etruscans chanted, while Elbio watched from side, full of envy.

i52b2g-r5WNhW5Ar6EpLBzETq_rQBSDomX1XFMirnELSKRmSN78QjmlUSjsKDnpBoCYuOYcyz7HFiQfvrJMRbTmjjNXIYD8SHhUWfXl4thHxWfcp4AvwsvPUTrQuj8ji-7wdlWXd2YEDrIc8jwb8f_xRRogTqkdKgR9bKpCkTE2n9VyAdpwXEqXd1PiP2SYTo8IWVGwBm87wJF4jwC6DgZN8DUCi7U8xKoV6Rr_CYVw5bsIhYzOVlEt8Kg4eooaGaO-5EMq-T17PSZHEQ1v61PdKqQfpFiDscUXpV5M2BiSCqAd2wC5ygE2rVr7B5uEzON1njEa3BWq26PrCdpPYo9zmUbYalyGQ79qNegjkP7JO_O7TS3aICs1cOgmNk8snt3Hm--AT0OaB7Z39L9jGxVB-VxFvmyaQkxfc7u1zqbNowgrnrcb010PNTV_o9iyLRLDJwemwf8Pl9yzPG6XXunxg8uHFSZPWNTnKMDXfeh5zLpFCMhJ67epUssGE5K_0FElN8CPrA8_fEXCTGYXrz2LlRJTEZTOr87xWgedvfKXrRCyDm6966Sit4jtNeccTqB5j39HkXQD1voafmEBsDlNTaqfVoClp7MFMWRg0cItwGWROn671_160zinOnbL7bnPdbejEZDG3ryW26quSdLYmvVwpIKThU5Kubu3ApX1MmgT4v6VsGBVr-9IcPslvAsaDZnpSif_6Bp-hLyhwTHwK5DiAULZCripYGetp=w1069-h1205-no

Long live Licine!

The Battle of Faventia was in the middle of April 465, and the province fell a few weeks later, resulting in more slaves to Vatluna. With this, the territories of Ancona and Senonia were under Etruscan occupation, the enemy armies hit hard and the Boi busy with new threat up north. The was was basically over. In 18th April 465, Elbio signed peace that resulted in Etruscans gaining the lands south of the Northern Apennines.

yOvOaAzYj5eqw9Szlv0sEgXf6SmxEl9PE_0eTaKwgBG0aoD6Djak7pfdK5fNZbGtNAWZVafAnbshNv9-KmByNdvPeAUXkfvmmMOtb9j6yfHszH5A4sxiuWaDZKM5YoXLtazBDW7XPP0KlbBmGUc-NmENniuAPG4itutO4Rl9JJW6mKoHz0tqyUkAS7Pigg_0yqsSRsPvBA-rU6xlB9IbNflUXh9Sx-bn7IFKDPwc22LBsQKtM6RuIboUF2oLQ3RRKxzeEqEwHvPXmP4Ja_3EJFO68azoJRmtc_GPhyskU1o3bapu__u_lmSuKMNLDUdKHsTEhWNuDaNm05lvH1wGHTxwjrF4Sq2fTDbfIHzGEN3ygZOdsirHYhq01eArsBnVxGx0RtJT5WbUecVWKkkruvj0OaB-JtYqnFOybdtlYNQkS8fgLK-OUJdqoKFD4POMOezz0SL0gb-k2aWTqV7wNWDoaHdedzIFy_qCgx8orBjvj-XWSA6MGWYYAayTwx3irYb5fJLM0hVVn34QwzMBaQpq8QM6ynkcbbcJ-kS5-hsQgM7ZIUicte0mCaHnQ-0QM5w_fajmAdDnsOsH8S0U0VprsZwbn3O4WvzXdauTC3YeEHYGbra_EU2iYcruTAmjuW-9_me0GaPcX4ZRtyWr6XpTHj0oLqYXqYDLYzS4DnjBd0B-V38XbYlGlFFH75frvLKPdgzGhWjEyJckRnbd2vgRn2gyVpFs1DSVaSba=w1428-h1056-no

The victory

Now, Etruscans hold both eastern and western passes through the mountain range, making difficult for enemies from the north to enter the lush, rich lands in Central Italia. Both passes are of course guarded and fortified, thus guaranteeing the relative security from northern Celts or other barbarians.”

2Oxvyf6vZLWnY1NqGaZpWKUl2ZjC6SSdqzvWsjLqYZRY_32NYAFH-bhTjuw4aazdqaqNYFDexGC5iNO8vQEnBqkI5wHcA8LvHr5IgThgbEEJVb6MGcC3zUzQ2Pvi7fBi9o12zzMRamG8JegCZgYLgv9FQE90FUkiQOkuIYHO42LYpR6Fn51aWp2MTEyGyXJkj0Edpfz1ZmQ5QRhlG6MK4geUsZ_xhT_L4_GmEuHHreLpsrO3M-sp__RS6S_6nog5kvzcekym7YInnMK-zcdmuHj5iLP7pTU79zaKBxC1KpufrNDxkGUGztU5gHGv--cVot8UYTlxosnD1ZMYh9yqyDrjZESzM-gTnmWKTbtE8PKkpBAKkrnlqBDipdl_rfnVAhacRAaVjtC1q7eN8Ggy1Fm0px6o0x2gQtFIzbpEhocBJdg9s70nrXeyXJpbX6TqnuTd9puqhs4P_y1bUSt4aY8kQdWmZTPHlLUFueUrrrv1GX3m-UPCYLRMrGUelO2QVflX6CKCR9SYocz5Yp4ZDQ4E8cQHmaKXZnYgHvxrvt25B_ot3uapaTEaKstog4cxSmWSVLXfwSgnTEHILlNBZPI2piVvVnOIOzOHQ9zzh9PhN8IltLV_ypXt6JqQ2P1qv1kjV1iu0jD_2B0dYPxftOpXGrTjAHfnDn-A1KyN1zG6j2M0UALLtywCDE65R20Z-ahVxOhWFBFEwwNTl-IJuSGHZmu2s9XL0SZUfltg=w1329-h787-no

Lands of Etruria, almost secure.

Massimo, who had told this with almost one breath, took a sip of wine and lit a cigar, waiting for my reaction to this lecture.

“So, not really successful war?” I asked.

“Why do you say that?” he inquired.

“Lot of battles, but none of them decisive. Both sides lose a little, then one side pulls back, recovers and comes again. Apparently, neither the Etruscans nor the enemy managed to get the upper hand in none of the conflicts.”

Massimo just nodded, while I continued. “And three years or warfare, countless of lives lost in the narrow gap of land between the mountains and the sea...”

Massimo chuckled. “Getting poetic there, mr Doom? Between the mountains and the sea...”

I continued, ignoring him “And all that for six provinces... Provinces full of fur-clad celts, worshipping different gods. This will not be an easy integration.”

“There is something else the Etruscans gained though,” added Massimo. “Leonidids”

“Ehh, what?” I asked, confused.

“The Leonidid family. One of the prominent families of Ancona. Their head, Pyrrhias, managed to sweet-talk Elbio into sparing them and instead, Etruscans took the entire family in. And they played an important part in the future of the Etruscans.”

w6nIdPr8AxLko0pQYtZi4qk4j1jzsjE70lEnmZCxEanOw0azNxpORSsXFyUP3lNbN7d-abB9V9vParUiMr_CKow1SLIAPk9TupFypBSAynjnZYvutmyZAXTmcKnI1qIBlV337Tw63sWY_gOCKffcxzxaiVvGndkIJxMxoD3F0IAhmRuNCNyFEMnh7xP137wr9RNUIOVSTsl6FNAavJRp3-BXkUJ6QzLB6yD1if2ibB1f7emGqpx0HRi1DQfAcDD3a-rRYbAbOgvLQUDquF24ZdEO8WBxXGIQR1YNpSUC4gcW2Jq25eT3LHyc2wI6xbTWg02kLvKMVwfRCWTCdCEFDWdsLl8U0TdPWF7wmLeRej4Nz6gvhuMAFaxm4hVbXZL_cz0cH_xZlybWJU2pKqtn0zyv8oR4TAvO0Wxrzs26FzUcbRgkhcZ3p0bMSGRfZfrKo2X7Q2RoPCgr2zghqbjeXj8fvnJJdoDE5qalmHOslbyBhkrU5aiUz9z4qdx8XnDW3eMPQn0yA7hOsdfEwY-bOdYAKtl6qLjG_JmQCYKJvkg3H8oYRIGljcTC9Fh2_2Ic79ztW73frewF48W_3TfnDcrwMe_xpV4_hKjz4PywQxn-4BgeJc6xERO9UKUUin8HhILLVMjR2387gyQD3ZXyjafh7zwl-LvhBeYqQIjdmbIrRZpkjHQWPS7a_A4I4hytvTL7gSmlK4JcThlnuehC5hFRCqLOoufZEEdpSLG7=w990-h702-no

At least, the Etrucans killed his rivals. And friends. And wife...

“Just like that?” I wondered.

“It was highly unusual,” Massimo replied. “Etruscans usually preferred murder to integration, especially during the Early League. We don’t know much about Pyrrhias, but he must have been an extremely persuasive man.”

“Imminent death does make people really creative,” I mumbled.

“In this case, really creative,” Massimo agreed. “And soon, Elbio instituted two Leonidids into office as well, Kleanthes as Magistrate, Machatas as apothecary. “

ROgMQanfUy21n3GKT-abEjx5e23t9BccGPIx1qQ4HG_HZtBEz3MbmeNhDL_-nhysJTUgmHdUYloTnrwuG0qZ_lQML3frac4XITDCEra-dyztyTWAN_ffSVUwaC04_bzSIDqjrbOJf-350zDUdDpIQyOo8q7BSOW0Ta3QJ_xBg6NGq-wfZ5gpk0PUyE2_Fvb3zkLjHVewJOMT4j8HiNdf4kVj8Blr774WwDRtLVAl4ueh9YtednTyjKf4mO89FbGoQy9JRFvpOHBSSqO1BqfExIHy6r84zfldgdB6oOegXSwjFFly03i3ZbSemlKYgD3ZLIhBLw1dDwo6VEksx2uZn6o1oJjGy02AM72SJ63u5bf4GMshytQWZ1kdWdQKlbLcKwLjhj5hDIyaiB9cCmRiWlCBZXzo3NbIcySNf95dNCldOxnxxA4tGp1BV_FnM3SVSC_XWc7EaFBuasjjq9aIZK3Rj0U-JoKXK885D6ZGpfQ5pSQsLw-5WJWPyDL-O4yWyiitUlcCoLmT7FD7zAPogo--I4MtMzfaWV2__JqE78KooOLWJmOETx7UqJrdkokLR8c4ejF2Uk-8cLJe6kMFGfZOR5eZn32yXeuolYOxsc3UWN_tbW-YYO1AsAQC4wNmguDfvROoF9L-hDE1bul34mwtRp5wULnncW8lBqB_Os04pBujcpUlgG5gik-PlxfCESkpLlX6782RiY3FhFh5voT5RjwaETiIl972TfYW=w920-h681-no

Hello, our newfound friends.

“Ok,” I nodded. Then, as an afterthought, I asked: “Oh, and how was Rome doing?”

“Rome’s adventure overseas failed. Libernia, across the Adriatic, was a clear victor in this war and forced Rome to re-release Sipontum and allow Marsia to become independent again. Minor setback, for the Rome was still a major threat.”

pgirtDbA-oTR-hB3eYNGPCEeuN_wYXFwTxxp072XpKITK01fQsEJfEH_mI9-oeeVUPsC2nYJLdelhDvUr5w4GEvdM3woALmOXVBlhnZ2q2VVRVYihmcPvUsQFdtIiSRqyvghNpsjM-BxoaoYyCxwXCCvUKUan-oPhCcbMaSZdF7Abuf7cGDfw33GbHtt_O-Ehq_BDMx1rJO6CGWWKal7-4I8uCVE3EhK9uv_pl2oJUgcDrP3AW7hcV6-a2GIO7W5k6pCYjirw7kWkOYWHT56wCWgdlOVgmG81WNuHCHdK2LrbgCswCnl0pPbJf_gM2MqLJYNhkpwcU7l8I4lOFbykISRi0ku4RUxTArFaiABOa-pr2bg-vmtHA0oi2Qwb0lFFTpCh_99hdhXf2MZqo7e0HhffWivI9kLqiQp9fEi-4HGoCCnACcwrwpgmtWC4PRja-MkEiFjF0KlajuUaEgCMVXRAU1Kv_50nmcEE2oNz2wLY72Txhr6oBuLJ0lfwMsUwibPsFlA7JrRO0jPwZXPa8-tCsYtKl-SrLKqOuW4I6oc-OPcNuobEZE8aOWpKCM_KhbBZJOMERumYQoS3M1hi30kKRnPzQrVZiMBZekuhgYqLVlT3Ah73WlYNBCMEXqgmt7GesanLJHL1FV-kFYD_ElJD0C7BIReDI1JCd6QRlaHCvRxUD2fCZJ3nz1_fiZowWSEPrsMXegG_nWiaulyEiZ8Fqwk_gtfuW2mL78D=w1003-h643-no

Rome, not doing so well for a change

“And with that, enough about history today,” said Massimo. “How about we have some fun?”

That we did. Me and my newly found friend sit, drank and chatted until it became dark. Then, we drank some more. But what we chatted about is of no interest to you.