Rebalancing "Below and Beyond" to be more critical for primary gameplay

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

redladi

Recruit
13 Badges
Jan 1, 2022
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
First of all this is a wonderful game overall! I would love trying different DLCs for this, but the latest "Below and beyond" mechanics leaves a lot to be desired.

# Problems:

* New exotic minerals are added but are totally optional.
* Underground wonders are kinda meh and doesn't change the overall gameplay by a lot.
* Mohole mine (which people can easily get to around sol 150 on even max difficulty) makes almost all deposits useless. Thing is you can't effectively settle underground before that time anyways due to required researches and clearing needed. I also barely need to touch a single deep deposit in most gameplays. I can mostly tap 2-4 surface metal deposits and build the Mohole mine.

So in all I don't see a point of playing this DLC.

# Potential solution:

The thing I would really enjoy is being able to integrate underground as part of the main gameplay. This can be done by following steps in my opinion:

1. Moving all deep deposits underground and reducing surface metal deposits by a lot. This way players have to venture below if they want meaningful amount of metal to be collected.
2. Making Mohole mine a reward for building bottomless pit research lab. Plus as a cherry on top, it can only be built on top of a specific underground POI (say next to bottomless pit). This way there is a real need to go below ground if you want your colony to be self sustainable.
3. Now to add a need of sustained underground dome, make sure that the Mohole mine employees humans and only produce resources when mined by (say 30) geologists.

I know in that case bottomless pit has to be a static feature on all maps. I still think it can coexist with another underground wonder.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
First of all this is a wonderful game overall! I would love trying different DLCs for this, but the latest "Below and beyond" mechanics leaves a lot to be desired.

# Problems:

* New exotic minerals are added but are totally optional.
* Underground wonders are kinda meh and doesn't change the overall gameplay by a lot.
* Mohole mine (which people can easily get to around sol 150 on even max difficulty) makes almost all deposits useless. Thing is you can't effectively settle underground before that time anyways due to required researches and clearing needed. I also barely need to touch a single deep deposit in most gameplays. I can mostly tap 2-4 surface metal deposits and build the Mohole mine.

So in all I don't see a point of playing this DLC.

# Potential solution:

The thing I would really enjoy is being able to integrate underground as part of the main gameplay. This can be done by following steps in my opinion:

1. Moving all deep deposits underground and reducing surface metal deposits by a lot. This way players have to venture below if they want meaningful amount of metal to be collected.
2. Making Mohole mine a reward for building bottomless pit research lab. Plus as a cherry on top, it can only be built on top of a specific underground POI (say next to bottomless pit). This way there is a real need to go below ground if you want your colony to be self sustainable.
3. Now to add a need of sustained underground dome, make sure that the Mohole mine employees humans and only produce resources when mined by (say 30) geologists.

I know in that case bottomless pit has to be a static feature on all maps. I still think it can coexist with another underground wonder.
Do you really need this DLC?
This DLC does nothing to the game and only adds bugs.

And the Mohole Mine can come with an event, so you can built it before Sol 150.

Last edited:
Making Mohole Mine depend on underground would make playing the game without this DLC not nice, TBH. And underground is already a pain to work with, making it mandatory will only make things worse. Assuming you'll be able to survive till you can build Mohole, if it depends on underground heavily ¯\_(ツ)_/¯