• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(212)

Captain
Jun 27, 2000
Visit site
Despite my interest in a viable pacifist strategy for EU, it's clear that a militaristic approach is the primary strategy employed by most players. This appears logical as the rewards more than offset the risks. Annexing provinces is a nice reward, but taking over a whole country can yield some very tasty treats, such as:
  • Gaining any remaining military forces
  • Access to unique leaders
  • Inheriting overseas trade posts
  • Knowledge of all areas explored (just occupying the capital is sufficient here, complete victory is not required)

I'd like to know if there's anything else that can happen here in the event of a complete conquest. In particular, it's not clear if technology advances are also something that can be gained by conquoring an opponent's capital. For example, if you play a land-locked Nation, why would you ever invest in Naval technology, unless you figured that some day you'd have access to a seaport. Austria could defeat Venice, and I would think that significant naval technologies would be gained in addition to the advanced vessels.