Really, the best you could come up with for Humanoid Species Pack Themes was Warhammer 40k?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What are we basing the expectation for a pure humanoid species pack on? Humanoid-ish species of other phylum would end up under those phyla, usually. Most sci-fi humanoid species that would fit better in the "humanoid" category than, say, the reptilian or avian category are basically just humans with accents like spots, height, pointed ears, nose ridges, cranial protrusions, etc. You can add some colorful patterns and head flair, sure, but even cybernetics would be better implemented as a portrait change to existing species in-game for pops with the Cyborg trait than as a species option, or just general customization flair. And to be entirely fair, most humanoids with odder features (like the antenna on andorians in Star Trek) may be better represented by an outright, say, arthropod species. It's not exactly a big secret that many alien species are often toned down in sci-fi because they're either too expensive or technically difficult to implement as more than background puppets or they're too alien and bizzare to really be relatable to the audience.

Hi Dev. Well it was an example not a direct "you're turning Stellaris into WH40K" comment. To you and all those people who either don't get my disappointment or even just disagree what I'm saying here is when I read this quote from PDX: "a bit trickier, because there are no direct fantasies that apply to them in general, so we instead chose to focus on fantasies that align with things like dwarves, elves, orcs or humans." I thought that it was a less than stellar choice. Seriously there is so much great science fiction to draw from regarding different humanoid types out there that I was disappointed and thought here's a good place to come up with some other, non-over used fantasy tropes. But alas the forum has chosen to disagree, so it goes...
Elves, Dwarves and others have appeared in Folklore. Same with other things, like Pixies and Dragons.

Agreed. And of all the species packs why Humanoids? Give Arthropods and Molluscs something.
The goal is to make an existing (paid) Expansion Pack less useless, by adding content that isn't simply cosmetic to it.

Those you mentioned aren't part of specific Species Packs.

Reactions:
The goal is to make an existing (paid) Expansion Pack less useless, by adding content that isn't simply cosmetic to it.

Those you mentioned aren't part of specific Species Packs.
I'd pay for a few more Arthropod and Moluscoid portraits, plus some specific mechanics for their category, plus a lot of UI and bug fixes.