• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Name a non-western state that's achieved a first world standard of living that wasn't westernized or rich because of oil.

That word, "Westernised"? You mean industrialised. Western civilisations just discovered that process first. To call it westernisation does injustice to the fact that the West was for some time less technologically advanced and less prosperous than the Islamic and Oriental civilisations. We adapted many ideas from Asia. For some time inbetween the fall of Western Rome and the quest for the new world, the west was being in your terms, "Easternised".

That word, "Westernised"? You mean industrialised. Western civilisations just discovered that process first. To call it westernisation does injustice to the fact that the West was for some time less technologically advanced and less prosperous than the Islamic and Oriental civilisations. We adapted many ideas from Asia. For some time inbetween the fall of Western Rome and the quest for the new world, the west was being in your terms, "Easternised".
You're dodging the question.

It's a fact that all first world non-western states either adopted western practices of democracy and capitalism or they sell the west natural resources that they just happen to live on.

Also the west never had large cultural exchange with Muslims or Asian cultures, in fact we were driving them from our land.

I think your historical knowledge may be a bit lacking. When nations are "westernized" they adopt western cultural influences, and their traditional culture falls by the wayside. This has happened to pretty much the entire world at this point. By contrast, the medieval world never easternized. The middle and far east had more "advanced" technology by some standards, although it's rather asinine to imply that technology is linear - things work that way as a gameplay mechanic in most games but that's a limitation of existing systems rather than something historically accurate. However the west never began adapting eastern culture wholesale the way eastern (and other) nations did with western culture.

Not what I was trying to say. I wasn't suggesting that Britain was somehow superior, just that his accusations of a UK police state were false.

No worries, I didn't think that, I was just making a point in general terms.

Why are you guys still feeding the troll? I guess you could say 'maybe he's just stupid and not a troll' a couple of pages ago, but this is getting a bit weird. He's contradicting himself constantly and posting random replies like 'lol the UK is a police state and the US is the best country ever' - not only is that offensive (just like all his previous comments were), but it's just completely stupid, it makes no sense whatsoever and, most importantly, is IRRELEVANT. Do we really need a mod to close this thread? Let's let this thing die, come on.

The guy started making stupid remarks in a few threads but only got a few responses and now he started this thread, which he derailed - he derailed his own god damn thread. Where could this be moved to? The 'offend as many people as possible and break all forum rules in one post' forum? Because I'm pretty sure that a debate on whether americans are the most amazing people in the whole world doesn't really belong in the history forums. Maybe if we had a bill o'reily impersonator forum around here, it could go there.

Yeah I guess you're right, this thread has just gotten worse and worse but I honestly have known people to hold just as ignorant opinions, so I didn't want to risk someone going unenlightened. :D

You're dodging the question.

It's a fact that all first world non-western states either adopted western practices of democracy and capitalism or they sell the west natural resources that they just happen to live on.

Also the west never had large cultural exchange with Muslims or Asian cultures, in fact we were driving them from our land.

Wrong, try the Middle Ages and the fact that we got Algebra from the Arabs and our numbering system from India (through Arabia), and I'm sure you know it, too. Stop trolling, you're not wasting any time I wasn't going to waste already.

No worries, I didn't think that, I was just making a point in general terms.

Yeah I guess you're right, this thread has just gotten worse and worse but I honestly have known people to hold just as ignorant opinions, so I didn't want to risk someone going unenlightened. :D

Wrong, try the Middle Ages and the fact that we got Algebra from the Arabs and our numbering system from India (through Arabia), and I'm sure you know it, too. Stop trolling, you're not wasting any time I wasn't going to waste already.
I'm talking about modern countries.

I think your historical knowledge may be a bit lacking. When nations are "westernized" they adopt western cultural influences, and their traditional culture falls by the wayside. This has happened to pretty much the entire world at this point. By contrast, the medieval world never easternized. The middle and far east had more "advanced" technology by some standards, although it's rather asinine to imply that technology is linear - things work that way as a gameplay mechanic in most games but that's a limitation of existing systems rather than something historically accurate. However the west never began adapting eastern culture wholesale the way eastern (and other) nations did with western culture.

You accuse me of a grave sin for a student of history. There's little doubt that westernisation has had a much more profound and noticeable effect than eastern influences, partly because their technological and economic position gave Western civilisations a massive advantage in imposing it over others, partly because of the actual desire to do so. I'm not disputing that. What I am arguing against is the OP's assertion that the West is somehow inherently superior by virtue of its global hegemony. Cultural advancement is definitely not linear, but I'd probably argue that there are a combination of factors necessary to industrialise in such a way. Yet pro-industrialisation reforms should be kept separate from cultural Westernisation.

Last edited:
No no no, implying that technology and cultural advancement is linear is something I'm trying to avoid here. You accuse me of a grave sin for a student of history. There's little doubt that westernisation has had a much more profound and noticeable effect than eastern influences, partly because their technological and economic position gave Western civilisations a massive advantage in imposing it over others, partly because of the actual desire to do so. I'm not disputing that. What I am arguing against is the OP's assertion that the West is somehow inherently superior by virtue of its global hegemony.
All statistics state that western civilization is superior in every worthwhile matter.

Only Japan and South Korea compare and they're heavily westernized.

If your assertion that Western nations and culture were inherently superior were correct, they would have been ahead of the East in "every worthwhile matter" from Antiquity to the Present.

You accuse me of a grave sin for a student of history. There's little doubt that westernisation has had a much more profound and noticeable effect than eastern influences, partly because their technological and economic position gave Western civilisations a massive advantage in imposing it over others, partly because of the actual desire to do so. I'm not disputing that. What I am arguing against is the OP's assertion that the West is somehow inherently superior by virtue of its global hegemony. Cultural advancement is definitely not linear, but I'd probably argue that there are a combination of factors necessary to industrialise in such a way. Yet pro-industrialisation reforms should be kept separate from cultural Westernisation.

Correct, and although I am guilty of helping to perpetuate this thread I think it's best to just leave it at this point. It's pretty much impossible to try to reason with an ethnonationalist, and certainly impossible to reason with a troll.

By the way, did you get up really early or pull an all nighter? I'm surprised to see someone from England on at this hour.

Why are you guys still feeding the troll?

Boredom. And once i actually convinced a troll that he was wrong.( Or atleast i think he was a troll, because nobody can be that stupid)

Yeah, the industrialation of today is mostly based on the West, but the other countries would have industrialized half an century later on there own.
All statistics state that western civilization is superior in every worthwhile matter.

Only Japan and South Korea compare and they're heavily westernized.

Hmm, this superior sounds not a bit like one ideology which was based in Germany 75 years ago. *sarcastic eyeroll smilie here*

And, BTW you forgot China.

Status
Not open for further replies.