• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One of my fellow travellers, a most cromulent and erudite man of high breeding and higher vocabulary, Jean-Maxence-François-Chrétien, spoke at length (as seems his want) on the plight of every poor fellow under the sun.

An exceedingly generous account of the Vicomte from our good Sir Edward. Just don’t let him accept any of the Frenchman’s ”special honey”…

An exceedingly generous account of the Vicomte from our good Sir Edward. Just don’t let him accept any of the Frenchman’s ”special honey”…

Mmmm.

So I am planning to join from next decision
But can I write a sort of proto-newspaper rather than an actual newspaper(Because there were no Ottoman newspapers in the format we know until the 1840s)
That would be absolutely fine.

We let Tickety-Boo in and that's... whatever it is... so there is no need to be an actual newspaper or anything similar. Any style of writing or type of document that expresses an opinion and is for others to read will be more than welcome.

• 1Like
Reactions:
High and Mighty Vol.1 No.1
High and Mighty
The Official Journal of the Palace Eunuch | Volume 1, No.1

The Greek Question
We are sure that all our readers will have noticed that the Palace is abuzz with rumour and gossip around the Greek Question. While we would never presume to advise any of our august officials what position to take, we do feel there is value in collating and reflecting the views of our members.

After a thorough survey of the court and harems it is clear that a majority of Eunuchs are in favour of firm measures to reassert control over Greece and have no time for any soft actions. The Kizlar Agha spoke for many of his colleagues when he said that a violent and horrific crushing never did him any harm, apart from the obvious, and certainly made him more loyal in the long run. We wait to see if the Sultan will agree with this wisdom.

Grand Vizer Watch
It can be challenging to keep track of all the the intrigues and cabals within the Palace, so as a service to our readers we will be running this regular column of plots and news around the Grand Vizer.
  • Current Vizer - Seyyid Ali Pasha​
  • Time since last Grand Vizer executed by the Sultan - 360 days​
  • Most likely reason for Grand Vizer to be executed - Failure of Greek Policy​
  • Current Madness Status - Not yet obviously mad​
  • Number of very senior officials with confusingly similar names - 1 (Seydi Ali Pasha).​
  • Life Expectancy according to the betting pool - Six Months​

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bear-ly a newspaper.

(I’ll show myself out.)

Unbearable.

We are sure that all our readers will have noticed that the Palace is abuzz with rumour and gossip around the Greek Question.

In keeping with character, Sir Edward has not noticed and indeed not spoken once on the topic. Whether or not the british are aware Greece exists remains an open question.

1st Decision - The Result
We have reached the end of the first session and the results are clear, it was a landslide win for the modest concession and diplomacy option. The Sultan has instructed his Pashas to use more of the velvet glove and to reason with the Greeks in attempt to keep them in the Empire.

Before I go to the effort of actually playing a game and implementing that decision, does anybody actually want a copy of the save? If the game was more of a background reference thing and I just provided a brief summary of what happened in the context of the Decision, would that be OK?

Aside from the saving in effort it also seems to fit better. Newspapers would not actually know all the details, and certainly none of the publications so far seem particularly concerned with mere factual reporting. Unless anyone expresses strong feelings I will post Decision 2 later and skip over the save.

Same here

Agreed with everyone else. This makes things easier for me, at least.

(Also, are you going to update the Paper List? I only see the example.)

(Also, are you going to update the Paper List? I only see the example.)
It's editable by anyone with the link, so I was hoping editors would add the entries for their own papers.

With everyone in agreement, let us move on to Decision 2 (and the consequences of Decision 1)

2nd Decision
The Consequences of Decision 1;
Under the instruction of the Sultan, Admiral Nasuhzade Ali Pasha has relaxed the blockade around Greece and Hurshid Pasha has restrained his troops and entered talks with Alexander Ypsilantis about what it is that Filiki Eteria desire. The answer is 'Freedom or Death' apparently, which does not leave much room for negotiation though Hurshid is persisting.

Ypsilantis has indicated that a status similar to that of Egypt would be acceptable, which is essentially complete independence but the Ottoman court would be permitted to carry on pretending the region was part of the Empire provided it did so quietly. Negotiations are continuing. Admiral Nasuhzade also informs the court that due to the relaxed blockade the flow of arms and volunteers into Greece is accelerating as Philhellenes across Europe hurry to support their 'cause'.

Decision - Eprius Strategy - February 1821
As the diplomatic approach has not yielded any immediate success in Greece, the Eunuchs in the Topkapı Palace are considering what strategy should be adopted around Ali Pasha's revolt in Epirus. Ali Pasha is a man of a certain.... reputation... even by our own standards so perhaps this is the place for a firmer hand. Or having started the diplomatic approach perhaps we must see it through and be consistent in our dealings with the region.

The Sultan must decide, after he has read the papers.

It's editable by anyone with the link, so I was hoping editors would add the entries for their own papers.

With everyone in agreement, let us move on to Decision 2 (and the consequences of Decision 1)

I tried but it said I had to ask permission to edit.

The Consequences of Decision 1;
Under the instruction of the Sultan, Admiral Nasuhzade Ali Pasha has relaxed the blockade around Greece and Hurshid Pasha has restrained his troops and entered talks with Alexander Ypsilantis about what it is that Filiki Eteria desire. The answer is 'Freedom or Death' apparently, which does not leave much room for negotiation though Hurshid is persisting.

Ypsilantis has indicated that a status similar to that of Egypt would be acceptable, which is essentially complete independence but the Ottoman court would be permitted to carry on pretending the region was part of the Empire provided it did so quietly. Negotiations are continuing. Admiral Nasuhzade also informs the court that due to the relaxed blockade the flow of arms and volunteers into Greece is accelerating as Philhellenes across Europe hurry to support their 'cause'.

Decision - Eprius Strategy - February 1821
As the diplomatic approach has not yielded any immediate success in Greece, the Eunuchs in the Topkapı Palace are considering what strategy should be adopted around Ali Pasha's revolt in Epirus. Ali Pasha is a man of a certain.... reputation... even by our own standards so perhaps this is the place for a firmer hand. Or having started the diplomatic approach perhaps we must see it through and be consistent in our dealings with the region.

The Sultan must decide, after he has read the papers.

Wait, he actually decides based on what the papers say in universe?

Oookay...

I tried but it said I had to ask permission to edit.
A Big US Tech firm lied to me about the settings, I am sadden but not surprised. Try this link;

Wait, he actually decides based on what the papers say in universe?

Oookay...
Of course not. The Sultan merely wishes to get a perspective from beyond the palace and considers it unwise to only rely on what his senior Eunuchs tell him.

The Loyal Greek Newspaper - #2
The Loyal Greek Newspaper:

On the one hand, seeing that our Ottoman overlords are as benevolent as we believed them to be is excellent news. This proves that our position is correct. That being said, a compromise must be reached - war is good for no one, after all. The Greek people as a whole will only suffer from prolonged war. The fact that our overlords are willing to negotiate provides us with an alternative to war, and it is one that we should seize.

On the matter of Ali Pasha's revolt in Epirus, if a Greek state of any kind is to exist, it must be a united Greek state. Granting independence to Epirus alone is bound to annoy all Panhellenes, and it will set a bad example. If Epirus is allowed to gain complete independence from the great and powerful Ottoman Empire, then other areas of Greece will inevitably be encouraged by its success. Give up Epirus, and all of Greece will seize the opportunity and force the Turks to leave their lands. If this happens, the results could be disastrous.

For one thing, any hope of a united Greece might be lost. Even if the Turks can be convinced to peacefully grant all of Greece (including Constantinople) independence, if the Greeks are divided, this newfound sovereignty will mean nothing. The Greeks will destroy each other, and other nations will take over its ashes. The Greek people will be oppressed far more than we were under the rule of the Turks or, indeed, any conqueror that came before. Some areas in Greece might be completely purged of Greeks. Why should we allow that?

If Greece is abandoned, it also shows weakness on the part of the Turks. This could quite possibly lead to our protectors losing land - and, far more importantly, soldiers. That will make the people of Greece far easier to oppress if anyone decides to do so. Of course, this will also disrupt the European balance of power, and doing that could lead to a massive war. It is likely that thousands of Greeks would die in that war.

In addition to all of this, Ali Pasha is not a Greek - accepting and supporting his rebellion is simply trading one Turkish overlord for another. If that can happen in Epirus, what is to stop it from happening in the rest of the lands inhabited by our ancient and noble people?

Also, this rebellion should be defeated so that the united Greece may rise. War is useless, and the united Greece - the Great Greece, the Magna Graecia - must include all of Greece, even Constantinople itself. These terms can never be achieved through war - not all of them, at any rate. If negotiations occur during peace, on the other hand... the Greek position would be much stronger. If that can be achieved without forcing the Greek people to lose their protection - the great and mighty Ottoman Empire - so much the better, then.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Travels in the Land of the Greeks - Book the Twelfth
MASTHEAD.jpg

AN ORIENTAL DISPATCH
Our intrepid correspondent in the Orient, the good M. le Vicomte de la Roche Saint-Michel, has relayed a fresh dispatch from Greece, shedding characteristic light upon developing situation in Epirus, where the formidable Ali Pacha has declared open revolt against the rule of Sultan Mahmud II.

Travels in the Land of the Greeks

by

Jean-Maxence-François-Chrétien,
V
ICOMTE DE LA ROCHE SAINT-MICHEL

~ ❦ ~

BOOK THE TWELFTH

THE CHARACTER OF ALI PACHA—HIS FELL DEEDS—ARCHITECTURAL AND CULINARY DELIGHTS OF THE EPIROTIC REGION

I implore you o! reader: mark well this account of the great Ali Pacha, that most notorious of despots so celebrated in his own lands for his resistance to the Turks; so formidable a figure is this Titan of the Orient that even in France his conduct bestirs the very soul, such is its infamy. As a boy of sixteen, I remember well reading of this Pacha from no less august a man – nay, a god among men! – than the noble Lord Byron, who after all in his venerated Pilgrimage of the Childe Harold did praise his greatness to the highest heavens! And how I wept when I encountered these sweet words for the first time, so great was the shudder that they aroused within the deepest depths of my soul, calling out to me as if a terrible beacon from across the sea, the low moan of the East: that wild and untamed land, yet home of such savage beauty as could be rendered by the hands of man; so fearsome even a man – if man he be! – as the great and noble Pacha:

I talk not of mercy, I talk not of fear;
He neither must know who would serve the Vizier;
Since the days of our prophet, the crescent ne’er saw
A chief ever glorious like Ali Pasha.

Who might deny the majesty of this man's character, this giant among his people, the fearsome Pacha? He sits as if atop an august throne, surveying those around who fall so short of his reputation with nothing but despair, reserving for himself all those grave tasks of leadership which might be entrusted to no other but he: an assiduous despot, at home equally in the counting house as on the battlefield; a model paragon of the very Greek Renaissance which has drawn, like bees to the sweet nectar of the garden fair, so many a cultured young traveller to the shores of the Orient! How many a yard of manuscript has been exhausted in the service of chronicling the singular life of this character! How little there is of this man which remains to be said! For truly, his very being has inspired in the breasts of so many a scribe, all loftier in stature than I, the burning passions of the Word: and lo! they write, committing to paper in indelible script this magnificent life, whom naught ever shall equal, neither in passion nor in savagery: for yes, alas! the awesome Pacha is not without his cruelties! How ill we remember the terrible acts which he has committed in the service of his rule: the callous murder of the drowned maidens; the remorseless killing of the Klepht Katsantonis, whom the terrible Pacha did give over to his Janissaries to slay in a manner most foul, crushing his very bones with a great hammer, as if he were made of naught more substantial than plaster of Paris! How might we reconcile this man, so reckless in his passions, who takes for company a harem of no less than ten and seventy girls – and boys besides! – with that enlightened pillar of the Greek world, whose equipoise in matters governmental has allowed the most prodigious flourishing of those Hellenic endeavours to whose service I now devote my days?

And further, alas! how too are we to regard this great figure, whose terror too stretches into our own realm, for not twenty and five years ago did he maliciously bedevil those Frenchmen, pressed into the evil service of the terrible Buonaparte, who found themselves ashore at Preveza, taunting his captives with wicked delight, rejoicing in the very tyranny which he was able to distribute so evenly among my countrymen and his own. It was the noble Byron who claimed that the Pacha was naught but a Buonaparte in Oriental dress: thus knowing the terrible deeds of our own accursed warlord, what is to be our own sentiment in this matter? Am I to look beyond these historic crimes in recognition of that monumental good service which he, the Pacha, has gifted to the Greek people?

These were the thoughts which enswirled my mind as I strode for the first time into that most august palace at Ioannina, which is so superior in wealth, in learning and in refinement to any other Greek town: for I had been summoned by the noble Pacha, my presence requested – humble though it be! – to entertain the great lord as he passed his evening. How great an honour to think that I might sit where Byron had, at the right hand of the Pacha, and engage in talk of the most stimulating nature concerning the affairs of the day! Fortifying myself with a sumptuous meal of local origination, consisting primarily of cheeses, meze and frogs legs, which here are prized as highly as anywhere in France! And afterwards I dined again with His Highness, who commended my grasp of the Greek tongue, in which we conversed singularly and without interruption: in fluent Greek that would hearten the most pedantic of the Ancients, he invited me to try a great speciality of his cook's, a most delightful cake of ground almonds, of which I partook in copious quantity, washed down heartily with a drachm of ouzo, presented so delicately in a small gilded glass, which here is the custom. And so too was I regaled by the sight of that grandest of adornments: the very Marble fountain, which Byron had panegyrised so fluently in his great work! At this sight, I was overcome with emotion; and indeed so charged were my sense at this point that I quite took leave of any instincts of political intrigue, rendered mute by this noble fountain, impressed by the timeless nobility of this most civilised of palaces, aghast at any notion of devilry which may despoil such fair waters! May the Sultan never in a thousand years lay one glove upon this refined citadel of the Greek culture, and may all of Greece be enlivened by the continued good health of the great Ali Pacha!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Tickety-Boo 2 - #3
Tickety-Boo 2

pnn6Be66p

An Editorial from His Excellency, Sir Edward Bear

po2Nb4Rcp

I must admit, dear readers, that my tardiness of late has been merited by duty to Crown and Country. The British government has long held a wonderfully close and cordial relationship with the Greek peoples, and sent me to ensure this relationship survives the current unpleasantness.

Coincidentally, I arrived just as several dozen warships and freighters docked, bringing all manner of lovely and splendid things from the Motherland to this beleaguered part of the continent. I was almost distracted by a truly excellent assortment of preservatives delivered by my old friend Viscount Paddington, the current Foreign Secretary. It turned out he was in the neighbourhood and thought he might pop in to speak to various officials and popular men about town, since he had such an abundance of spreads to share. And rifle oil. Not sure how that got in there. Presumably had something to do with all the rifles.

Oh well, in the end the trip was rather nice, though by the latter stages the Ottoman representatives were getting most aggrieved at how many of my fellow Englishmen were showing up. Funnily enough, quite a few Frenchies were buzzing around as well, and almost all of them (and the Britishers) came up from Egypt! Most perplexing.

When I arrived back in the capital, I received several actually rather long and emotional missives from the Court that were quite insistent upon knowing what I and my government were doing in Greece. I told them about the marmalade, but they didn’t seem too interested. Strangely enough, several diplomats have since visited our palatial estate to ask about something or other, yet the conversation always comes back round to Greece and Epicurus. I had one of the boys fetch a map to show me where that was (it turns out to be in Greece also!). They said they were acting as representatives of Ali Pasha, and would the British mind awfully if he stayed where he was, doing what he was doing.

I said by all means, not knowing very much about it. I’m sure it’s all perfectly alright though. His men were very well-spoken and dressed, and they all spoke very highly of Lord Byron and the British people. I suspect he may be a good resource for our side in the years to come.