• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's possible to form the HRE (or at least, pass loads of reforms) by using the Heresy event, or losing a war to the russians, to change religion. Then, you convert loads of HRE minors to your religion, to get authority, pass reforms, passing up until the last two reforms, change back to catholicism, for the huge relations boost to everyone, convert those minors back, and pass the last two reforms.

How do you get anyone to vote for you if almost all the electors are heretics?

You are already elected HRE, and then you do what Icendoan said. Doesn't matter if they won't vote for you if you are already the emperor, and when you convert them back they will like you again. It's super gamey, as you are intentionally flipping religions just to convert HRE minors (which gives you authority boost) then flipping back to convert the minors BACK to Catholicism (getting you even more authority).

How do you get anyone to vote for you if almost all the electors are heretics?

This is a very quick process. Easily done in the lifetime of a single ruler. This, I believe, is how the current HRE unification record of 1406 has been achieved. You become HRE, and then very quickly use this process to pass all the reforms in a few years. It makes sense that the first people you will convert would be the electors, who are likely your vassals and therefore very likely to accept. This further secures your position as HRE, until the hereditary rule reform is passed.

Ok, looking at the voting page on the wiki, you convert theocracies and republics, mainly. Your vassals/PUs have a modifier that outweighs the wrong-religion aspect. The large nations will never vote for you anyway. The rest will be >=100 relations with you, so you have decent chances from everyone. You're not guaranteed, of course, but as time goes on if reforms fail, your chance increases as you convert more member states.

Last I checked don't different religion electors just give you the flat "Will never vote for a heretic" thing, I didn't even think it counted as a modifier because it never displays your numbers standing with Heretic Electors, just the Will never vote for you line.

Last I checked don't different religion electors just give you the flat "Will never vote for a heretic" thing, I didn't even think it counted as a modifier because it never displays your numbers standing with Heretic Electors, just the Will never vote for you line.

That is only in elections of a new Emperor. Passing the Imperial Reforms works with an entirely different system. Essentially, all members of the HRE is eligible for voting - and their votes are random rather than deterministic with chances weighted towards either yes or no based on a number of modifiers. None of the modifiers will completely determine their vote - but being at war with the emperor makes them 100 times more likely to vote refuse any proposal. There's always at least a 1/5401 chance that they support the emperor's proposal though.

That's voting in Emperor elections. The votes we are concerned about are the votes for individual reforms. Due to the incredible speed we can gain authority, elections aren't really going to be much of an issue.

It's possible to form the HRE (or at least, pass loads of reforms) by using the Heresy event, or losing a war to the russians, to change religion. Then, you convert loads of HRE minors to your religion, to get authority, pass reforms, passing up until the last two reforms, change back to catholicism, for the huge relations boost to everyone, convert those minors back, and pass the last two reforms.

You CANNOT pass reforms as orthodox and thus you need to do the conversions twice. Also make sure not to use all your IA as soon as you change back to catholic as you can't enforce religious unity when you have 0 IA.

You CANNOT pass reforms as orthodox and thus you need to do the conversions twice. Also make sure not to use all your IA as soon as you change back to catholic as you can't enforce religious unity when you have 0 IA.

Again, you can only convert 10 at a time, so would I have to turn Orthodox, convert 5, return to Catholic, convert back the same 5, pass 2 reforms, repeat 3 more times?

Again, you can only convert 10 at a time, so would I have to turn Orthodox, convert 5, return to Catholic, convert back the same 5, pass 2 reforms, repeat 3 more times?

No, You get the first reform by releasing vassals, then you change to othrodox and convert your vassal to orthodox ( 9 ), change back to Catholic, pass 4 reforms and repeat. I think 9 is the minimum number of vassals needed ( not sure tho ), but I would advice getting 10 because it's not 100% they will convert and that will cost you 1 IA. I've done this 3 times and I still don't remember the minimum of vassals needed :D

Theoretically, you could break the truce and attack right away, but that's usually not practical, so typically you would wait for truce to expire. Then you can take whatever cored you've ceded/released for 0 infamy and vassals you've released for their normal cost (1 with HW or Tribal Feud). So it's not exactly fixed - the instantaneous part is not particularly important if you have enough targets for this exploit.

That's the point. In 5.2 they changed it so that if you release a vassal you lose any cores you have on their territory. Sure you could get lucky and get a border dispute to give you a core during the truce but in most cases you will at best have a zero-sum infamy from release/re-annex as opposed to the current state of release vassal with your cores to lose infamy and retake for 0.

That's the point. In 5.2 they changed it so that if you release a vassal you lose any cores you have on their territory. Sure you could get lucky and get a border dispute to give you a core during the truce but in most cases you will at best have a zero-sum infamy from release/re-annex as opposed to the current state of release vassal with your cores to lose infamy and retake for 0.
Since you normally wouldn't release vassals owning land with your cores it's kind of irrelevant that you would lose cores (since you don't have them anyway). And, of course, the net effect of this operation is 1 infamy burn per province (not as good as 2 per province in release nation or 3 per province for ceding territory, but still useful since it's cheaper in diplomats.

Wait, you lose 3 infamy for each province you cede in war?

I think he meant that peace deal are zero-sum for both infamy and prestige. Apparently the AI typically gets defender's peace costs in his games, it would be other figures had the cb been different. This factor is why the dishonourable scum cb disappears once the the bastard gets sufficiently beaten up.

Why does Sicily DOW Navarra?

You haven't heard of the Sicilian/Navarran pact of 1834...... just wiki it, and you will find lots of nothing....... lol idk, I'm playing as Italy and it says that Bearn is rightfully ours, it just adds flavor to the game. IMO, people like this game for realistic history, but if everything happened by the book, it would become monotonous and boring rather quickly.

I think he meant that peace deal are zero-sum for both infamy and prestige. Apparently the AI typically gets defender's peace costs in his games, it would be other figures had the cb been different. This factor is why the dishonourable scum cb disappears once the the bastard gets sufficiently beaten up.
Yeah, it's not 3 in general, but given a typical human player the AI that's able to get any territory in a war is a defender brought in through alliances and/or guarantees.

Milan. is the only country that comes to mind.
Once you've managed create some breathing space in Africa you can expand with very little infamy hits and use the income to build armies in Europe. + You don't have an empire to reconquer like Castille or France. A few alliances here and there and suddenly your'e holy roman emperor with the Nile Delta as your ill but surprisingly easy gotten breadbasket.