• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Athalcor: Unfortunately I don't know of any way to stir up general discontent. Spain either has to tax me too much, or make decisions that torque my citizens off.

El Pip: They WERE a nice distraction. I hope to get a shot at Vinland, but prospects are a little dim.

Chief Ragusa: Maybe just a little. Bavaria's still in a pretty serious position, but a Saxon emperor isn't going to be able to do much.

LordEnglish: Thanks! Yes, Spain's gift came at just the right time.

AndreMassena: Oh the ordinances are passed, it's just the local leadership is ignoring them!

Stuyvesant: Dysfunctional relationships are fine when you're the one benefiting. :D

Seelmeister: Oh yes, I'm sure they appreciated my actions during their wars!

Nikolai: Absolutely!

tasmir: Thanks! Wait no more.

CHAPTER XXIII: CATALAN CANADA
Part 2: Events Gone Wild
(1770-1775)

Hello, boys and more boys! This is Events Gone Wild! School's back in session, and these young (but over 18) events will do anything, and I mean anything to go off trigger!

Mistress

Let's start with this lovely! She's hot to change leadership from the top down!

177008Viceroy_zpsa9729cd5.jpg

Now, you know Enrique hasn't done a bad job. We're well on the way to teaching the Iroquois how we do things, and by January 1771 they will be thoroughly cored! We'll even start accepting Huron culture in February which will make them much more willing to do things our way!

Unfortunately our masters don't agree and we get a new viceroy, an Emilio Estevez or something like that. Emilio is all about military and power and subjugation. His target? Vinland, where he begins working his charms to forge a claim.

Bad Boy!

Oooh, and what's this event up to? Seems like someone's mouthing off and the clergy wants to punish him!

177012Clergy_zps2066a7fa.jpg

Let's watch! Oh, that is going to leave a mark!

While this is going on, Mainz does the improbable and whips Austria into submission for 588 ducats. Over the next few years the alliance topples: Augsburg for 312 ducats, Brunswick for 135. Finally after Wurzburg's army is exhausted and spent, they give up and Mainz gains two provinces, one from the Palatinate.

It's hard to believe Spain was able to last long enough to win a war, but after two more Hardy Seamen events, anything is possible.

Hometown Girl

Meanwhile, it seems some events want to be paid for going on camera!

177206WageLaws_zps1ff1de0a.jpg

Well, of course darling. There shouldn't be any laws against good, clean fun.

Florida shows a bit of sass by forging a claim on one of our provinces even though we couldn't get in a catfight if we wanted to, not while Spain holds our collars. Still, fair is fair and we start forging claims as well. We even start in on a second Vinland province. By now Norway's peaced out of a war that netted Holstein for Denmark, but with Spain's newfound virility they aren't a threat.

Unfortunately, when we suggest a little action with Vinland, Norway says no. It also seems they can do so. Norway and Spain are allied, and they don't like it when their colonies do things without them. Well you know, if you paid a little more attention to us than maybe these (quiet, desperate, exciting, explosive) thoughts wouldn't cross our minds.

So, what else can we do?

Discipline

Oooh, yeah baby!

177106Encomienda_zpsa012921a.jpg

Yes, Vestbygden. You are going to do JUST fine. Naval supplies, right? Cordage? Wood? Yes...

We also manage to finish converting the Iroquois to our (Catholic) cause by September 1772. You know what they say about Catholic girls? One singer noted they 'start much too late,' and that's certainly true for the Iroquois, but with some 50 years on the clock they still have time to sit back and take it all in.

At one point the clergy complains they need extra money to top their efforts. Mmhm, I see where this is going. Well, a little monetary reform in December 1772 should take care of that.

Likes it Rough

While Vestbygden is doing fine, Eiriksfjord fights back.

177301Natives_zps4cbc61cc.jpg

They say it's because we didn't give THEM any encomneidas, but we know some events are just wildcats, and those are the ones we really want to trigger. Am I right?

Playing with Eiriksfjord could be rough before, but now it gets ridiculous as we fight in April 1773, damaging the colony, and May (ditto). Finally I use some of those hardy seamen on transports to bring 2K soldiers over and they crush the next two revolts.

There's even a 'foreign plot', and of course I take the money. It lets me build forts on the border and temples in all sorts of advantageous positions through the center.

Johan's Dice

I hope you enjoyed 'Events Gone Wild!' as much as I did playing with them! I'm going to cool off, but before that Johan, if we can't fight Vinland, can't rebel, and can't colonize we're running out of things to do. Let's go film elsewhere!

Reign: 10 years
Needed: 3+
Roll: 6
Continue?: Yes

Hm..

We want to be free might just be your mantra. Spain isn't giving you money because they like you, it's so you won't want to break free. It's so mean not to let you fight Vinland. If the boot were on the other foot, the Catalans would be demanding their freedom. You don't even get huge rebel stacks to revolt your way to freedom. Where's a time travelling Brit to help found the USA, when you need him?

Catalan Canada is just what your doctor ordered, stress free. relaxing and a sure-fire cure for insomnia.

Well I read a few parts, started on a random page with Luxembug and read Morroco, Japan, Oman and Russia. Then jumped to castillian canada, because reading everything is a bit much for today, but from what I've read it sounds like really fun. I think I'm gonna try this myself, allthough I'm not gonna make an AAR about it. I'll try to read a few chapters now and then :p

This is a comment draped in ignorance (and sometimes, ignorance is bliss, such as when we're discussing Girls Gone Wild), but the tone seems dead-on. It almost made me feel grubby reading the update. :)

I'll say that you didn't have a lot to work with this turn, but you made the most of it. I don't know about the game, but speaking of the update, definitely.

Where's a time travelling Brit to help found the USA, when you need him?

Nice one. :)

You forgot the NSFW-disclaimer!

Ah yes, the necessity of naval action to defeat the Iroquois. I see a flotilla of three deckers in the Great Lakes as being vital to the security of prosperity of Catalan Canada. Not to mention that Catalans are hardy folk and those provinces will be colonised, after all the nicer places. Liberty for all! Catalan Canada at any rate. Vinland is properly a part of Canada.

Do I detect a smidgen of regret that the HRE is providing Bavaria with a wonderful opportunity and you're not there to take advantage?

The HMS St Lawrence was a 112 gun ship of the line built in Kingston that gave the British dominance of the great lakes during the war of 1812 (no other heavy ships could sail to the lakes, they had to be built on site.

Control of the lakes and their supply lines went back and forth between Britain and America until that ship set sail. Then it was securely controlled by the Brits.

The HMS St Lawrence was a 112 gun ship of the line built in Kingston that gave the British dominance of the great lakes during the war of 1812 (no other heavy ships could sail to the lakes, they had to be built on site.

Control of the lakes and their supply lines went back and forth between Britain and America until that ship set sail. Then it was securely controlled by the Brits.

Chief Ragusa got owned :laugh:

That's fascinating, I didn't know that.

Chief Ragusa: Oh definitely a cure for insomnia. No problem there!

Swami: It's been a fun game. It's very interesting watching the world develop. Good luck with yours!

Athalcor: You can say that again!

MC Hammer: Thanks!

Andre Massena: It's hard to pass ordinances with so much cheese.

Stuyvesant: Grubby was about what I was going for. :)

McGrey: Oops!

Canuckmontrea: Really! I didn't know that.

Andre Massena: Indeed.

Chief Ragusa: 1 ship may not be a flotilla, but I think a 112 gun ship of the line can call itself whatever it wants!

Blackfish: Nor I! Seems a waste though. It may have ensured naval superiority for the duration of the war, but after that it just sat there.

Hiryuu: Keep hoping!

Orlov Kruskayev: Then this was a very good turn!

CHAPTER XXIII: CATALAN CANADA
Part 3: Zzzzz
(1775-1780)

No Wonder They're So Polite

I'm bored. If you don't know why, then...

Wow, deja vu.

We have two major obstacles to our doing anything remotely fun. Let's pull up an old map and review.

176501Inhospitable_zpse93a8a3d.jpg

There are a whole slew of locations which I am not allowed to colonize. After doing some research I've learned this is a bug because this game originally started pre-CoP. The game thinks these have 0 base tax (which by definition is Wastelands), even though the save file confirms each province has a tax value.

In fact, everyone's stalled: Brittany, Florida, Vinland, California and Pacifico Norte (Spain's colony in Alaska and British Columbia) suffer the same fate.

Since I've already taken out the Iroquois, my only other option would be to attack Vinland. Unfortunately, Vinland belongs to Norway, who is Spain's ally. No dice.

So, we're going to sit here, finish colonizing Greenland, and see what happens.

Hint: Not much.

Eskimos and the Odyssey

Eiriksfjord in Greenland goes up in flames yet again in March 1775, but with an army sitting right on top of them the natives have no chance. They try again in March and July 1776 before they turn into a full city in August. Vestbygden already turned into a city in September 1775. Problem solved.

Meanwhile, I was curious to see just how bad this 0 base tax bug was, so I hired a conquisator, one Baltasar Corzos de Barzen. Baltasar took command of the army in July 1775. For the next three years he traversed across 'Canada' to Pacifico Norte, then through the Rockies back to what we'd consider Illinois. After that he won military access through Brittany, Portuguese Mexico and California, working his way down to Texas then across to the Pacific Coast. One 'nice' side effect of 0 base tax is 0 natives, so I suffered zero casualties during this journey.

The result was, as I said, dismal. Everything that CAN be colonized in North America, has been. Baltasar returned in September 1778, and having found there's nowhere left to explore died of despair in November 1779.

Scheming Landowners

At home, we learned of land owners plotting to make us remove 'Eh!' from Canadian Catalan, as in "Aquesta és una multa poderosa vaca, eh?" (That's a mighty fine cow, eh?) We certainly can't put up with this and seize their assets.

Our loyal Catalans approve.

177701Government_zpsba394043.jpg

This brings us over 1,000 ducats, so we begin investing in the infrastructure. We fortify Greenland (because a mission said so), reinforce the fortress at our capital (ditto), and even begin fortifying the western frontier. (Yep, ditto) We also buy temples everywhere, and the Pope recognizes our piety.

We then turn inwards and start taking ideas one after the other:
* Economic-1 (Bureaucracy, +10% National Texes)
* Defense-5 (Defensive Mentality, +33% Fort Defense)
* Exploration-7 (Global Empire, +25% Naval Force Limit)

leading to..

* Colonial-7 (Liberty Heroes, +1 free leader)

The last leads to a curious colonial CB vs. Oyo. And you know what? I consider it.

For those who might have forgotten, Oyo is a one or two province minor in West Africa. Landlocked, bordering a Portuguese 'colony' they stole from Mali at some point.

Can I get there? Yes. However, we only have two transports at the moment, but I begin building 4 three-deckers and 2 trabukuls which will double our transport ability. That means I'm carting 4 regiments over at a time. Further, Oyo's westernized and done well for themselves: They have Military-28 to my 27. I might win through sheer mass in the end, but it would not be pretty.

Lastly, Oyo being landlocked means I will never be able to core it without a border province, and being a colonial state means I can't colonize outside of my base territory (Canada) without a preexisting border. Therefore they'll just be a ruinous thorn in my side until I sell them. Not worth it.

Finally in September 1778 our Viceroy, Emilio Estevez, is up for reappointment. We ask to keep him, and Spain agrees lowering our liberty desire to 33.5%. This leads to Nobles Plotting to steal a stability point from us, but we have plenty and merely drop down to +2.

It is now December 1779....

Johan's Dice - VETOED

Johan wants us to stay, but unless alot of you have serious objections I'm vetoing it. With the colonial bug in place, Norway allied to Spain, and our liberty desire dropping, there is nothing to do but work on infrastructure.

No interlude with maps this time, as the world seems to be stable for the moment. Still, I found one fun little tidbit:

177912Madagascar_zps037e2e16.jpg

How cozy....

Let's hope that Johan accepts your Veto and doesn't send you to, oh, I don't know, Vinland or so. But I also agree that it's the right decision. There are surly more interesting places in the world although there was much deadlock in many of the last countries. Might have something to do that you jump from pond to pond with already tightened and not always ideal alliances.